PDA

View Full Version : Willett Straight Rye Whiskey

PaulO
02-27-2011, 08:48
I picked this up yesterday for a little over $30, just to try something new. The label says single barrel, aged 2 years, 110 proof, distilled in Indiana. The whiskey is about the same color as regular Jack Daniels. It has a very flowery perfume like charecteristic, and tastes to me like apricots. It's not harsh at all for 2 year old and 110 proof. I really like it, and hope to get more. I know you guys love to talk about Lawrenceburg so I thought I should post this. :grin:

Gillman
02-27-2011, 08:49
Nicely done Paul.

Gary

squire
02-27-2011, 11:03
Good description Paul.

angler82
02-27-2011, 20:48
I tried this at the Julio's Liquor whiskey fest today. Very light with citrus, grapefruit, and cucumber. This particular batch was 3 years old and 110 proof. I think it'd be good for rye cocktails where there is lemon or lime involved- something like a Scofflaw.

I picked up a bottle for a little over 35.

funknik
02-28-2011, 12:46
I tried this at the Julio's Liquor whiskey fest today. Very light with citrus, grapefruit, and cucumber. This particular batch was 3 years old and 110 proof. I think it'd be good for rye cocktails where there is lemon or lime involved- something like a Scofflaw.

I picked up a bottle for a little over 35.
I grabbed the last one of these off the shelf at Julio's yesterday and wish there had been another . . . this was wild, untamed rye, but still very, very nice . . . I think it'll be a fine sipping whiskey at 3yrs and 115 proof -- with the 15% discount Ryan was giving, it was under $30 . . . win!

MikeK
02-28-2011, 13:30
Had some as well at Julio's, Drew was pouring if you recognized him under that beard. For me it started out as massive chewing gum mint. Very nice for 2yo.

Good to see you there Andy.

callmeox
02-28-2011, 16:29
Was this an Estate bottling that listed Indiana as the source?

White Dog
02-28-2011, 17:46
Was this an Estate bottling that listed Indiana as the source?

It's the Willett Estate label, 2yr(although some are now 3yr) LDI distilled, cask strength Rye. I've had the 108.2, the 110, and the 115.2. All are quite good, and taste shockingly complete for 2yr old Rye. Lots of Wintergreen and ginger.

White Dog
02-28-2011, 22:12
And yes, it states "Distilled in Indiana" on the back label.

PaulO
03-01-2011, 13:56
I had another dram when I got home from work. I'm a proud Hoosier today. If I find the 3 year old, I'll have to try that too.

callmeox
03-01-2011, 14:50
And yes, it states "Distilled in Indiana" on the back label.

When did KBD enter this new period of disclosure?

White Dog
03-01-2011, 15:43
When did KBD enter this new period of disclosure?

Shocking, isn't it. :cool: :cool:

funknik
03-01-2011, 21:03
yup. there it is: "Distilled in Indiana."

Willet Family Estate Single Barrel Rye Whiskey
3 years old
Barrel No. 4398
ABV 57.5% (115 proof)
Bottle No. 11/216

OscarV
03-02-2011, 15:06
It's always the distiller that doesn't the source to be revealed.
In this case it sounds like they want some pub.
I wonder if they told Drew to disclose the info.

fussychicken
03-06-2011, 12:46
WOW! Was in Hi Time yesterday and was shocked to see this made it out to the west coast. They got a few bottles of the 115.2 proof version so I picked one up. Very unique! Loads of grassy, mint, floral goodness. Very happy to have stumbled upon this.

And yes, I was also shocked to see the normally secretive KBD disclosing the source. Maybe as a next step they can tell us if they are chill filtering?!? A guy can dream right?

birdman1099
03-06-2011, 13:19
All the Willetts I have say Distilled and Bottled in Kentucky. So Willett has always disclosed what state the whiskey was distilled in.....

This is probably the only sourced whiskey they have gotten from outside of KY.

can someone post a pic of the front label?

ErichPryde
03-06-2011, 14:11
Maybe as a next step they can tell us if they are chill filtering?!? A guy can dream right?

The Willett's that I have state non-chill filtered on them, and furthermore you can swirl the bottle and see "dust" in the bottom of several that I have.

cigarnv
03-06-2011, 16:52
All the Willetts I have say Distilled and Bottled in Kentucky. So Willett has always disclosed what state the whiskey was distilled in.....

This is probably the only sourced whiskey they have gotten from outside of KY.

can someone post a pic of the front label?

Here you go Scott

birdman1099
03-06-2011, 17:42
Thanks Reid....

Looks like to me they did not disclose any more than they always have. We are just lucky that there is only 1 reasonable choice for an Indiana distilled product. If there were 7 distilleries in Indiana, we would be in the dark just as much as when they say distilled in KY....

Rughi
03-07-2011, 13:35
...If there were 7 distilleries in Indiana, we would be in the dark just as much as when they say distilled in KY....

I don't know. How in the dark are you really?

I guess buying at retail is one thing. But when you buy a private selection (like many if not most are) do you really not know or are you just asked as a gentleman to not crow about it (heh, heh) on the internet? On the other hand if you buy say, Wild Turkey for instance, are you really sure you know where all of its juice came from?

Roger

p_elliott
03-08-2011, 07:52
I don't know. How in the dark are you really?

I guess buying at retail is one thing. But when you buy a private selection (like many if not most are) do you really not know or are you just asked as a gentleman to not crow about it (heh, heh) on the internet? On the other hand if you buy say, Wild Turkey for instance, are you really sure you know where all of its juice came from?

Roger

I'm sure that if you do a private barreling you know where it came from you can read the barrel head. I think your supposed to keep it to yourself. I believe Drew was a little unhappy about somebody telling everyone where his barrel came from on here. If I got the story straight he threatened not to do barrel purchases for SB members any more at the time.

squire
03-08-2011, 10:12
I guess their European customers are not so inquisitive.

p_elliott
03-08-2011, 10:32
I guess their European customers are not so inquisitive.

Or can not read English

squire
03-08-2011, 11:25
Perhaps one of our European members would care to chime in and tell us exactly what is on the label there.

nor02lei
03-08-2011, 13:32
Perhaps one of our European members would care to chime in and tell us exactly what is on the label there.

More or less everything. No contract bullshit here. That is bottles that are bottled by European bottlers.
Leif

bourbon-n00b
06-21-2011, 09:13
Shoppers Vineyard has their barrel available, for those who want to do mail-order. Three years old, 115.3 proof:

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/store/pc/WILLETT-SHOPPERS-VINEYARD-SELECTED-3YR-CASK-STRENGTH-FAMILY-ESTATE-BOTTLED-SINGLE-BARREL-RYE-WHISKEY-108p15393.htm

cigarnv
06-21-2011, 14:53
I just got a few bottles in and I must say I am impressed for such a young rye..

As for color I find it a bit darker than I expected. The nose is spice, honey, oak, ginger and a real sweetness. Very attractive with little of the proof coming forward.

As for the palate this is a very sweet rye... lots of honey, gingerbread and a rum/raisin ice cream kind of flavor. The mint is there but to my palate it is very reserved unlike the Bulliet Rye which was like mouth wash. No bitterness and surprisingly the heat while there is not a distraction. Decent complexity, good balance and what is most unusual, a nice long finish. I still can't get over the sweetness of this rye.... and I am a sucker for sweetness. Helping the length is the fact that it has a very creamy and coating mouth feel. To me this shows far better than a 3YO, possibly due to the proof. The best of the Willett 3YO rye's so far. This will make a kick ass Manhattan or Sazerac....

chefnash51
06-22-2011, 08:31
I just got a few bottles in and I must say I am impressed for such a young rye..

As for color I find it a bit darker than I expected. The nose is spice, honey, oak, ginger and a real sweetness. Very attractive with little of the proof coming forward.

As for the palate this is a very sweet rye... lots of honey, gingerbread and a rum/raisin ice cream kind of flavor. The mint is there but to my palate it is very reserved unlike the Bulliet Rye which was like mouth wash. No bitterness and surprisingly the heat while there is not a distraction. Decent complexity, good balance and what is most unusual, a nice long finish. I still can't get over the sweetness of this rye.... and I am a sucker for sweetness. Helping the length is the fact that it has a very creamy and coating mouth feel. To me this shows far better than a 3YO, possibly due to the proof. The best of the Willett 3YO rye's so far. This will make a kick ass Manhattan or Sazerac....

Nice notes, picking up my two today from UPS!

cigarnv
06-22-2011, 08:50
Nice notes, picking up my two today from UPS!

Kevin, I will look forward to hearing your thoughts on this rye....

cowdery
06-22-2011, 09:34
This has probably been covered but whose juice is this? LDI?

HP12
06-22-2011, 10:04
This has probably been covered but whose juice is this? LDI?

Lawrenceburg Distillers Indiana, LLC

White Dog
06-23-2011, 10:47
They have a trade spec sheet floating around that lists the mashbill as 95% Rye, 5% Barley, so there is no doubt that it's LDI.

But hey, that's none of my f--kin' business.:cool:

shoshani
07-01-2011, 09:55
It's the Willett Estate label, 2yr(although some are now 3yr) LDI distilled, cask strength Rye. I've had the 108.2, the 110, and the 115.2. All are quite good, and taste shockingly complete for 2yr old Rye. Lots of Wintergreen and ginger.

If that's the cask strength after 2-3 years, LDI isn't barreling it at the high end of the proof scale. That's excellent. I wonder if it comes out of the doubler at a commensurately lower proof?

humchan2k
08-06-2011, 18:19
I Went to K&L yesterday, and found they had just gotten a big shipment of the 3 year, 109.6 proof Willet Rye in....and for $35 + tax, I had to give it a run....

Got home, and WOW, what amazing product for such a young rye. After having it, I actually grabbed a bottle of my Saz 18 out to compare, and amazingly, the Willett shows quite well next to the Saz. I love how creamy the mouthfeel of the Willett is, and it's got a great balance with almost no residual heat....baking chocolate, all spice and a touch of mint/coriander.....just delicious.

It's apparently a super small run, only 240 bottles, and I think I may need to head back to K&L manana and sneak 2 more bottles into my stash. :)

Well done, LDI, well done.

BFerguson
09-11-2011, 13:01
As mentioned in another post my take home of the day yesterday was a bottle of Willett Rye, 4yr, 110proof.

I was pretty excited to see the store get it in, and I've been on a bit of a rye kick lately, so that wax was broken open pretty fast last night.

Color was fairly dark for what i would consider a young product. But a good start.

Like most, I let it sit for some time after the pour. In this case, I actually didn't et around to it till about 30 minutes later. Which was a good thing, revisiting it today with a small taste, there is huge initial alcohol waft to it, not surprising considering the proof. So the extra time in the open air really gave it a chance to settle down and tame itself out.

Nice sweetness, this especially came out towards the end of the glass, But then i had bee nursing the ~2oz pour for nearly a hour. It really got better the longer it had been.

Has a bit of a astringency to it that I find interesting, making my mouth water after it. But in a good way. Loads of spice, and a bit of heat. Can really taste a bit tannins and damp oak in the finish, which lingers nicely for me.

More complex than Bulleit, and much more flavorful than Jefferson's Rye, I consider this a good buy. Nice on it's own, and should mix up wonderfully in some cocktails.

My recommendation, buy it, I think it's one of the better younger ryes on the marker, and possibly better than some older than it.

B

White Dog
09-12-2011, 13:20
As mentioned in another post my take home of the day yesterday was a bottle of Willett Rye, 4yr, 110proof.

I was pretty excited to see the store get it in, and I've been on a bit of a rye kick lately, so that wax was broken open pretty fast last night.

Color was fairly dark for what i would consider a young product. But a good start.

Like most, I let it sit for some time after the pour. In this case, I actually didn't et around to it till about 30 minutes later. Which was a good thing, revisiting it today with a small taste, there is huge initial alcohol waft to it, not surprising considering the proof. So the extra time in the open air really gave it a chance to settle down and tame itself out.

Nice sweetness, this especially came out towards the end of the glass, But then i had bee nursing the ~2oz pour for nearly a hour. It really got better the longer it had been.

Has a bit of a astringency to it that I find interesting, making my mouth water after it. But in a good way. Loads of spice, and a bit of heat. Can really taste a bit tannins and damp oak in the finish, which lingers nicely for me.

More complex than Bulleit, and much more flavorful than Jefferson's Rye, I consider this a good buy. Nice on it's own, and should mix up wonderfully in some cocktails.

My recommendation, buy it, I think it's one of the better younger ryes on the marker, and possibly better than some older than it.

B

I completely agree with your comparisons. Of all the LDI Ryes that I've had, and I've had most, the Willett may be my favorite.

And everyone's notes seem to agree that it tastes older than it is, myself included. I have to assume that's due to the proof.

BFerguson
09-12-2011, 16:10
I completely agree with your comparisons. Of all the LDI Ryes that I've had, and I've had most, the Willett may be my favorite.

And everyone's notes seem to agree that it tastes older than it is, myself included. I have to assume that's due to the proof.

Thanks, nice to know that I'm not completely off base. :grin:

I was going to knock down the proof on a couple of glasses to see what effect it had, my guess it will "youth" it up a bit.

It certainly is interesting to taste and see that age is not completely everything. I think this is a really good example of how a younger product can be surprisingly "mature".......

B

BFerguson
09-15-2011, 19:20
After a couple nights with the Willett, it's really growing on me!

Last two nights, and soon to be tonight also, I've knocked it down between 80 and 90 proof with some water. Very pleasantly surprised.

Unlike some other products where I've done this too to help open up or knock down the bite a bit, I've at time been let down in the results. Flavor too weak, one dimensional taste, or a taste profile that just doesn't live up to to the regular strength.

This was nothing like those past let downs.

The rough edges smoothed over, the flavor, if anything was almost better, without the additional proof bite, it allowed the flavor and aroma to really bloom. Wonderfully mouth coating thickness, and a great lingering finish.

Mellow is the word that just sticks in my mind, it was so just well behaved and well polished that it was one of the better bottles that I've had open in awhile.

Glad i picked up two more the other day

B

White Dog
09-15-2011, 20:43
After a couple nights with the Willett, it's really growing on me!

Last two nights, and soon to be tonight also, I've knocked it down between 80 and 90 proof with some water. Very pleasantly surprised.

Unlike some other products where I've done this too to help open up or knock down the bite a bit, I've at time been let down in the results. Flavor too weak, one dimensional taste, or a taste profile that just doesn't live up to to the regular strength.

This was nothing like those past let downs.

The rough edges smoothed over, the flavor, if anything was almost better, without the additional proof bite, it allowed the flavor and aroma to really bloom. Wonderfully mouth coating thickness, and a great lingering finish.

Mellow is the word that just sticks in my mind, it was so just well behaved and well polished that it was one of the better bottles that I've had open in awhile.

Glad i picked up two more the other day

B

While I rarely make mixed drinks(Most of my whiskey is consumed neat, or with certain cask releases a bit of water), I used Willett Rye in a "perfect" Manhattan, due to many people stating that Rye works better than Bourbon in mixers. The Bourbons I used against it were OGD BIB, and WT101. The Rye was the better drink, hands down.

sob0728
12-22-2011, 19:47
I saw this as a 5 year old at local store now. Is this normal that they would just continue to send out the same juice with more age every year at the same price? It's still $30.

Brisko
12-22-2011, 20:58
What is the proof on the 5 year?

sob0728
12-22-2011, 21:03
I am pretty sure it was 110. I didn't buy it so I don't have it here to check.

Brisko
12-22-2011, 21:07
I'll keep my eyes open. I can't say enough good about the 4 year old.

sob0728
12-22-2011, 21:09
One of my local liquor guys recommended the 4 year old and it is awesome. Very sweet and not super minty or thin. Bulleit Rye: thin mint.

BFerguson
12-24-2011, 04:50
Can't agree more with you both. It is a outstanding product as it stands, but made even better by the price.

Would you mind sending me a PM on where you saw it, It would be something I'd be interested in trying.

Thanks

B

cowdery
12-24-2011, 14:51
I saw this as a 5 year old at local store now. Is this normal that they would just continue to send out the same juice with more age every year at the same price? It's still $30.

With KBD, there is no 'normal.' (That's a good thing.)

sob0728
12-24-2011, 15:30
Note: 5 year is 110 proof, for certain.

Old Lamplighter
01-14-2012, 09:00
Note: 5 year is 110 proof, for certain.

Anybody out there gotten a bottle of this yet? I have seen it online but cannot figure out if source is KY or somewhere else, IN? Hoping it is like a few others and was born in KY. In other words, not LDI....if, we can ever know for sure I suppose...lol:rolleyes:

White Dog
01-14-2012, 09:31
Anybody out there gotten a bottle of this yet? I have seen it online but cannot figure out if source is KY or somewhere else, IN? Hoping it is like a few others and was born in KY. In other words, not LDI....if, we can ever know for sure I suppose...lol:rolleyes:

It's LDI. Back of bottle states, 'distilled in Indiana.'

Old Lamplighter
01-14-2012, 09:35
It's LDI. Back of bottle states, 'distilled in Indiana.'

OK...thanks very much!

Ejmharris
01-14-2012, 09:42
OK...thanks very much!

I am eager to get a bottle. I had the 4 year Nd it was quite nice even for the age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Lamplighter
01-14-2012, 09:53
I am eager to get a bottle. I had the 4 year Nd it was quite nice even for the age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah...maybe. So far, I am not much for the LDI ryes though...just lacks something I cherish in rye. IDK, maybe Mr. Stagg has burnt up my taste buds to the point nothing is the same as it once was...lol

White Dog
01-14-2012, 23:16
Yeah...maybe. So far, I am not much for the LDI ryes though...just lacks something I cherish in rye. IDK, maybe Mr. Stagg has burnt up my taste buds to the point nothing is the same as it once was...lol

I understand the lack of enthusiasm for LDI Rye, based on other bottlings, but I would recommend giving the Willet a go. It's by far my favorite of the LDI bunch, maybe due to the ABV. And hey, what have you got to lose?

BFerguson
01-15-2012, 10:59
I understand the lack of enthusiasm for LDI Rye, based on other bottlings, but I would recommend giving the Willet a go. It's by far my favorite of the LDI bunch, maybe due to the ABV. And hey, what have you got to lose?

I'd give this a hearty second. Having tried many of the others, Willett does stand above them. It makes a good argument about higher proof's being more flavorful.

I'd love to see this line in a longer age from LDI/Willett, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much on this one.

B

Old Lamplighter
01-15-2012, 13:36
And hey, what have you got to lose?

You guys have just about talked me into it. Only problem is the new year funds being as they are, have me in a corner. Which is the better choice: 2 of the Willett 5yo OR the BMH 18 I passed on the other day (a dusty in an out-of-the-way store...$90 might explain why)?

cowdery
01-15-2012, 14:27
I like the LDI rye, but if you've had one you've had them all. Probably the best one is Bulleit Rye, in terms of what you get for the price.

bad_scientist
01-15-2012, 14:36
I like the LDI rye, but if you've had one you've had them all. Probably the best one is Bulleit Rye, in terms of what you get for the price.

It's also the oldest of them, right? I had read it's 6-7 years old.

AaronWF
01-15-2012, 15:30

Chuck, check out West Lakeview Liquors' 1B 3yo Willet Rye. A lot of sweet wintergreen for $35.

BFerguson
01-15-2012, 15:38
Personally, I might go with the BMH, just for the fact that it is not going to be widely available, or probably much lower in price anywhere. While the Willett will be somewhat more easy to find again in a couple of months.

Chuck, I'd generally agree with you about the Bulleit, out our the other usual suspect on the market that are LDI based, it is the best of the bunch for the price. But I would still tip the scale in favor of the Willett, it still is just a bit deeper than the Bulleit in terms of it's overall flavor profile. Straight, a bit of water or in a cocktail, it's a mighty fine pour, even if it is a few dollar more than Bulleit.

B

Old Lamplighter
01-15-2012, 16:28
Personally, I might go with the BMH, just for the fact that it is not going to be widely available, or probably much lower in price anywhere.

Yep, that's the way I am leaning and now that Chuck has thrown Bulleit into the discussion it reminds me that I have ever tried it. Been doing some online research on reviews of the BMH18 this afternoon. Not too many shining ones to say the least. Seems the majority have found it lacking for the price and the BMH23 a lot better buy. Both are dinosaurs from the latest news though as old rye supply is running low & out.

cowdery
01-16-2012, 10:10
It will be very interesting to see what LDI's new owners do with that rye.

BFerguson
01-16-2012, 20:06
That part does have me worried. But fortunately bunkering a small allotment of this has allowed to to sleep better at night.

But seriously, they would be have to be nuts to change it up. With the limited rye market, they really have a amazing niche, one of which they do very well.

B

scratchline
07-18-2012, 11:12
Just saw a 6 yr. Willett rye on the shelf. I liked the 5 yr. Actually have an open bottle on the shelf now. Might have to buy the 6 yr. just for comparison purposes. The one that's all but disappeared is the WT 101 rye. My personal favorite.

yountvillewjs
07-18-2012, 11:34
I was able to get the Willett 3 & 5's for $30.99 at my local shop. They had been out for awhile, just noticed they are back at $35.99. Still probably worth it, but I liked it alot more at $30. What are the rest of you seeing for the 5?

scratchline
07-18-2012, 12:00
35 bucks in NYC.

sutton
07-18-2012, 14:02
I paid $32.99, at a shop not known for low prices.

White Dog
07-18-2012, 15:13
I'm seeing $35 on the 5yr.

luther.r
07-18-2012, 15:26
Just saw a 6 yr. Willett rye on the shelf. I liked the 5 yr. Actually have an open bottle on the shelf now. Might have to buy the 6 yr. just for comparison purposes. The one that's all but disappeared is the WT 101 rye. My personal favorite.

I tasted a 6 year at KBD last month and it was very impressive. I bought two bottles but haven't opened either yet.

luther.r
07-18-2012, 17:15
I tasted a 6 year at KBD last month and it was very impressive. I bought two bottles but haven't opened either yet.
Incidentally, I just looked and my bottles say distilled in Kentucky. Different juice or mislabeling? Hmm...

BFerguson
07-18-2012, 18:51
Low $30's. Still a great deal for a tasty rye that really so far as flown under the radar of most people.

I put it above WT101 any day. Personally, i think it just is a better all around spirit when either straight, cut with some water, or used in a cocktail. 101 falls short in the diluted category.

B

soonami
07-18-2012, 22:02
Incidentally, I just looked and my bottles say distilled in Kentucky. Different juice or mislabeling? Hmm...
My 6 year, 110 proofer, bottle 215 of 216, says distilled in Kentucky and bottled in Bardstown. So it must not be LDI like some of the other Willet Ryes

As for the whiskey. I like it better than Ritt BiB in a side by side, but haven't compared to Handy or a WTR101 yet

michaelturtle1
09-13-2012, 20:17
Just kicked open my 6 year tonight and like it much more then the Ritt BIB and thought it blew the WTR101 away in a side by side I also love the nose and minty finish

Tucker
09-13-2012, 20:49
Plenty of 5 year left in Atlanta, but I have yet to spot a 6 year (and I've been looking).

JLH3
09-28-2012, 00:02
I have a bottle of 3 yr old 115 proof that I like better than my bottle of Handy.

Brisko
09-28-2012, 07:24
I opened a 5 year, 110 proof last week that was pretty austere for only being 5 years old. Much less of the sugary sweetness that I found in the 4 year old that I bought earlier.

I'm going to give it a few weeks of air time, I think-- a lot of times this overly drying aspect evens out with time.