PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon in Toronto, Canada

sanzoluk
03-01-2011, 18:45
Howdy all. I grew up in Kentucky but now find myself in the distant, frozen north, where no one seems to know about my favorite spirit, and (unsurprisingly) it's tough to get anything I really want. I have been lurking for a while now, but since I've moved to Canada I would love to find other bourbon drinkers here in Ontario.

In order to get people more interested in bourbon (and American rye), I have been hosting small bourbon tastings for my co-workers and friends, but none of them have really developed a palate for some of my higher-end bottles. (I also am writing a bourbon blog that reviews all the bourbons that come to the LCBO, but my tasting skills are so rudimentary that I feel a little embarrassed to share it here with the big guns.)

So, I was wondering if anyone here knew of places in Toronto where other bourbon lovers meet to taste, share, and discuss their favorite bottles. If there isn't, and any of you out there have high-falutin' tastes like me and want to try some good bourbon, maybe we can put together some place to meet? My collection is pretty decent, and I have, among other things, several BTAC bottlings, Pappy 20, and an old (early 90s) bottle of Maker's Mark old gold wax 100 proof (which puts the marketing for 46 to shame) that I would like to share at some point (assuming that I could try some good stuff other people have!).

Anyway, thanks for reading and this site is great!

squire
03-01-2011, 19:01
Welcome aboard, I expect you may hear from our Northern Brethren.

fishnbowljoe
03-01-2011, 19:42
Welcome aboard, I expect you may hear from our Northern Brethren.

I was thinking the same thing. :grin: Cheers and welcome! Joe

tehbeardman
03-02-2011, 21:29
Welcome sanzoluk! I'm sure from looking at the bottles that you currently have, that you will fit right :grin:

DAM
03-03-2011, 08:08
I'm also new here, a relative bourbon novice and live in Toronto. So far my mini-bunker includes the following:

Makers Mark
Woodford Reserve
Knob Creek
Basil Hayden
Baker's
Booker's
Elijah Craig 12
Lot B
PVW 15

Sadly I haven't found an establishment here with anything beyond the most basic selection (MM, WR, KC) but would love to hear if others have. I'd definitely be interested in a get together at some point.

p_elliott
03-03-2011, 08:30
Welcome to our two new neighbors from the north, enjoy the site. Come join us in chat some time. It's the gazebo at the top of the main forum page. Other than that post often have fun and make some new friends.

squire
03-03-2011, 16:19
Hey DAM, welcome aboard.

dbk
03-03-2011, 18:09
Hi folks,

Welcome to Ontario, a land of plenty—aside from bourbon, of course. That said, there are a few bourbon lovers about; you just have to seek them out, and SB is a good place to start. I myself am in Hamilton, about an hour from you, but there are Torontonian members as well, who will surely introduce themselves.

The LCBO bourbon selection has been steadily improving with the addition of BT/Sazerac products (BT, Eagle Rare, Baby Saz, 1792 RR, Caribou Crossing) and the Beam Small Batch Collection does rotate through now and again. Unfortunately, you have to stay on top of things, as the orders can be small and distributed to only a handful of stores.

That said, don't expect to see anything like a BTAC, Van Winkle, or other high end American whiskey bottling any time soon. I cross the border for the good stuff, and with duty (on the order of 70-80% of the sticker price), that can get pretty expensive. But it's worth it, in my opinion! :yum:

I have a nice collection of bourbons and ryes if you're interested in sharing (and arranging a visit to Hamilton or vice versa), and I'm sure others will say the same. You're in good company.

DAM
03-03-2011, 20:47
Thanks for the welcome fellas, and apologies to sanzoluk for hijacking the thread. I just figured another Toronto Bourbon thread would have been redundant...

After my comment above I got to thinking about places around town that might have a wider selection. One that came to mind was Allen's (on the Danforth). I was aware of their substantial scotch list, and given that they are emulating an uptown NYC saloon restaurant, it occurred to me they may have other whiskeys as well. And lo and behold, their website lists the following in the American category:

Balnentine's
Ancient Age 10 Year Old 107
Baker's 7 Y.O. (53.5%)
Benchmark Sour Mash
Blanton's Single Barrel (46.5%)
Booker's
Eagle Rare 10 Year Old 101
Jim Beam
Jim Beam Black Label 8 Y.O.
Jack Daniels Single Barrel
Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack
Jacob's Well
Knob Creek 9 Year Old
Maker's Mark
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year Old 107
Wild Turkey
Wild Turkey 101
Woodford Reserve Distillers Select

There are a number on there I haven't had yet... It's on my side of town... I may need to pop in and do some recon over the weekend.

dbk
03-03-2011, 20:53
After my comment above I got to thinking about places around town that might have a wider selection. One that came to mind was Allen's (on the Danforth).

I've heard nothing but good things about Allen's, so you should definitely give it a try.

As a side note, Eagle Rare is being re-released to the LCBO in two weeks, if that strikes your fancy.

sanzoluk
03-04-2011, 05:54
Thanks for the tip about Allen's! I'll need to check them out in a week or two as well. I figured Toronto HAD to have some sort of whiskey bar...

DAM
03-04-2011, 15:32
One note about Allen's, the food is pretty average with the exception of their burgers, which are barely mentioned on the menu but actually quite good.

DAM
03-05-2011, 09:22
Had a work dinner at L'unita on Avenue and got to sample Eagle Rare. They also had Booker's, WR and MM.

Also dropped in Allen's on the way home. Unfortunately the list on their website is out of date. I did try an ounce of Old Charter 12 yo for $6.50 though.

sanzoluk
03-05-2011, 13:00
Aw, man. Other than the Old Charter I've had (and/or currently own) all of the bourbon on that list. Still, worth stopping by. I was hoping they still had Ancient Ancient Age since I haven't had that in a few years.

I went to the Red Light on Dundas near Ossington last night; they have a surprisingly good whiskey selection there. They're almost out of EC12 and Eagle Rare, but they have most everything else that's come to the LCBO in the last year or so.

I tried some Pennypacker (which is very suspicious, since I've never heard of it; not great but cheap), the 40 Creek Double Barrel Select (Canadian finished in Bourbon casks, surprisingly good but let down a bit by being low proof and filtered), and the Woodford Reserve Master's Selection Maple Barrel Finish. I was particularly happy to try the WR Maple, since I can't see myself ever wanting a bottle but I did want to try a shot.

The place was a bit too crowded and loud for my tastes, and the bartenders were not as good as the ones who are normally there when I go, but that's what I get for going out Friday night.

I'm trying to sample more Canadian whisky, since I might as well take advantage of living here, but I'm a big fan of high-proof whiskies and Canadian whiskies just taste so floral and watered-down in comparison.

squire
03-05-2011, 13:56
Pennypacker is a Heaven Hill bottling for export. The comments posted by members who have tried it indicate a young whisky that fit's the general HH profile. HH owns a lot of labels (sometimes referred to as Cats&Dogs) that survive in name only and are filled with standard HH whisky.

dbk
03-05-2011, 14:20
I'm trying to sample more Canadian whisky, since I might as well take advantage of living here, but I'm a big fan of high-proof whiskies and Canadian whiskies just taste so floral and watered-down in comparison.

Generally speaking, there aren't many high proof Canadian whiskies available in the domestic market, though WhistlePig (currently US market only) is 50% ABV Canadian rye. Some Canadian whiskies are moving above the 40% ABV mark—Wiser's Small Batch is 43% and Wiser's Legacy is 45%—but I find that I enjoy many of the Canadians I've had at 40% or so, anyway.

In spite of your feelings on Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve, you should give their Confederation Oak Reserve a try; I found it had a richer mouthfeel and a rounder, more refined character. It's really nice stuff, IMO.

sanzoluk
03-05-2011, 15:17
In spite of your feelings on Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve, you should give their Confederation Oak Reserve a try; I found it had a richer mouthfeel and a rounder, more refined character. It's really nice stuff, IMO.

I plan on it. I was hoping to find a bar where I could taste it before buying it, but if it's still around in a couple months I may break down and pick up a bottle untasted, since it's gotten such good reviews. I just made a trip down to Chicago to grab a bottle of WL Weller and Stagg, so that coupled with the release of 1792 and my successful quest to find a couple more bottles of the baby Saz, my whiskey fund needs to build up a bit :)

I would say that I don't mind the Double Barrel Reserve, just that, at that price point, I would rather buy a good bourbon or rye (if available). I need to try it in a better glass and see if I can get a proper tasting of it, since the glorified shot glass they gave it to me in and the crowded bar didn't make for the best tasting environment.

DAM
03-05-2011, 19:26
Aw, man. Other than the Old Charter I've had (and/or currently own) all of the bourbon on that list. Still, worth stopping by. I was hoping they still had Ancient Ancient Age since I haven't had that in a few years.

Yeah, I kind suspected that was going to be the case. The current list is basically what's been available at the LCBO of late.

I did enjoy the Old Charter. Unfortunately though it didn't look like they had much stock left.

PaulO
03-06-2011, 08:49
I believe Old Charter 12 year old stopped being bottled a couple years ago. Unless somebody has stockpiled some you probably won't see more.

sanzoluk
03-17-2011, 10:29
Eagle Rare has started hitting the LCBOs.

I plan on picking up a bottle; I want to get more since I quite like it (a bit more than regular buffalo trace) but, thanks to the tastings I do, I have like 15 open bottles, 5 more stocked, and no room to store them in the apartment. Plus I promised my wife I would start diversifying our liquor cabinet so I can work on my cocktails. I guess I shouldn't complain about having too much of a good thing!

dbk
03-17-2011, 10:32
I have like 15 open bottles, 5 more stocked, and no room to store them in the apartment.

Surely you have room for one more bottle... :grin:

Gillman
03-17-2011, 18:05
Gents, it's not technically bourbon, but two days ago, Queen's Quay LCBO still had some barrel 11-0069 Jack Daniels Single Barrel (about 10 by my count, maybe more in the back). This is by far the best Jack SB I've ever had, a soft rich brandy-like number that has a really good straight whiskey taste. It doesn't much resemble regular Jack - some Jack single barrels do but this one is in a special class.

Gary

DAM
03-18-2011, 16:42
They had a number of 11-0069 JDSB at Summerhill as well.

I picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare and 1792 while there. FWIW sanzoluk, the Eagle Rare has a very small foot print. I think you can squeeze it in...

Also FYI for any Booker's fans, according to LCBO inventory there are only 13 bottles left in the province. I was able to get one via an Inter Store Transfer.

DAM
03-24-2011, 21:12
Gary - Thank you for the JDSB 11069 recommendation. I was back at Summerhill today and picked up a bottle. My first impression was that it tasted a bit medicinal. But it's growing on me. Wood. Smoke. Fruit. I do still get the regular JD profile, it's just much more refined.

Gillman
03-25-2011, 04:10
Glad you like it, there is some connection with the regular profile (I had mentioned this earlier), but it is much better in my opinion. The medicinal taste is a traditional bourbon flavour from the time when bourbon was more estery than it is today. In tasting this 11-0069, I was continually reminded of tasting bourbons at gazebos from an older time.

Gary

DAM
03-25-2011, 21:06
Giddy up. Looks like Blanton's is back.

dbk
03-25-2011, 23:08
Giddy up. Looks like Blanton's is back.

Excellent. I saw signs of it coming out this way, and have found inventory for two stores so far, but am wondering if and when we'll see more. I swung by my local LCBO today and found nada.

DAM
03-26-2011, 06:51
Excellent. I saw signs of it coming out this way, and have found inventory for two stores so far, but am wondering if and when we'll see more. I swung by my local LCBO today and found nada.

I was surprised to see it listed yesterday as I hadn't seen any mention of it anywhere.

Apparently the LCBO is doing it's year end inventory between now and the beginning of April. The two stores listing are just the first to log it in to the system (and probably put it in a little earlier than they're supposed to).

When I called the Brock Ave store they didn't know what I was talking about at first but eventually found it stashed in the office area.

p.s. I had not had Blanton's before and am really liking it. It's got nice spice notes and is definitely not bland like the other 80 proofer I've had, Basil Hayden's. I also find it to be light years ahead of regular Buffalo Trace.

dbk
03-26-2011, 07:12
Apparently the LCBO is doing it's year end inventory between now and the beginning of April. The two stores listing are just the first to log it in to the system (and probably put it in a little earlier than they're supposed to).

Ah, that explains it.

p.s. I had not had Blanton's before and am really liking it. It's got nice spice notes and is definitely not bland like the other 80 proofer I've had, Basil Hayden's. I also find it to be light years ahead of regular Buffalo Trace.

Light years ahead of BT, eh? Well that's interesting. Blanton's uses Buffalo Trace's low corn mash bill (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=234202&postcount=19) and is single barrel (the original single barrel, for that matter), so I imagine they could be fairly different products. I haven't tasted any BT products using mash bill #2, so I'm excited to give this one a whirl.

DAM
03-26-2011, 12:24
Ah, that explains it.

Light years ahead of BT, eh? Well that's interesting. Blanton's uses Buffalo Trace's low corn mash bill (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=234202&postcount=19) and is single barrel (the original single barrel, for that matter), so I imagine they could be fairly different products. I haven't tasted any BT products using mash bill #2, so I'm excited to give this one a whirl.

Thanks. Still getting my bearings. Didn't realize they had two rye mash bills. Good to know. I'm not really a fan of Eagle Rare so far. Definitely looking forward to trying ETL and RHF.

sanzoluk
03-30-2011, 14:31
Thanks for the tip about the Blanton's! There's some at my local LCBO at Dundas West & Bloor, I'll have to stop by to pick some up on my way home.

sanzoluk
04-05-2011, 09:28
Some buddies of mine came up from the states and brought me some Russel's Reserve Rye, Knob Creek Single Barrel, and a couple bottles of the duty free 8yr 101 Wild Turkey. This puts my collection at 25 bourbons, 3 American Ryes, 31 bottles in total, 20 of which are opened. This is before I pick up a bottle of Blanton’s, which I love and thus feel compelled to get! This is getting completely unmanageable. So… who wants to drink some bourbon with me?

DAM
05-03-2011, 21:49
Looks like ORVW 10 yo 90 and Lot B will be on the shelves here soon...

sanzoluk
05-06-2011, 14:24
Looks like ORVW 10 yo 90 and Lot B will be on the shelves here soon...

Lot B? Where'd you hear that and how can I get it?

DAM
05-07-2011, 08:46
Lot B? Where'd you hear that and how can I get it?

They just showed up on the LCBO website. I was told the release date is May 28.

DeanSheen
05-12-2011, 14:46
I see you guys have Rittenhouse BIB now:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=230813

dbk
05-12-2011, 15:03
Yup! It seems that the LCBO has a few tricks up its sleeve after all...

sanzoluk
05-13-2011, 07:33
Picked up two bottles last week after seeing it in a bar (also found some more Elijah Craig 12!), and I'm glad I did. It's sold out already at a bunch of stores in Toronto, so hopefully that wasn't their only shipment. And it's actually a pretty good value -- it seems they put everything limited release at $40-50 so I'm glad they put it at $35 (which still hurts me as someone who paid less than $20 back in kentucky, but I'll take what I can get).

Gillman
05-13-2011, 07:59
Lot B was available at LCBO some years ago, and it is good to know it is coming back. Rittenhouse will be welcome as well.

Gary

DAM
05-13-2011, 13:58
Strange that they have distributed practically all the Rittenhouse to 905 stores.

McG
05-13-2011, 14:19
Hi guys, very new here, and what are the chances of one of the top threads being "Bourbon in Toronto"?

I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere that someone in Toronto excited to learn more about bourbon might find a tasting group, or a course on the subject?

I've searched high and low to no avail, and there's only so much that reading can offer.

Thanks in advance!

Gillman
05-13-2011, 15:12
There was a larger group of bottles (Rittenhouse rye) downtown but I heard they were for the Drake Hotel, one of the top bars in the city and au fait with latest trends for cocktails.

With respect to tasting, no group gathers in or around Toronto as far as I know.

I always encourage people to consider travelling to Bardstown, KY where SB ers meet at Festival time - see www.kybourbonfestival.com for the times twice per year when this is done. The Festival is a public event but many Sb ers now eschew those - some not of course - in favour of group meetings and tastings.

We meet at a wooden gazebo each night behind the Best Western General Nelson Motel. I realize not everyone can attend these but if it's at all possible, I would do so, I think that is the best way to learn more about bourbon.

Private gatherings in other cities do occur, generally hosted by a member who has the space and interest to do so. It is difficult though to hold many of these due to drinking and driving, and other practical, concerns. I always say, it's good to start with Bardstown. For those who must defer such ideas, reading this board, including archives, is an enormous leg-up. It takes time but the results come.

Gary

McG
05-14-2011, 12:10
That's very helpful advice, thanks!

Gillman
05-14-2011, 13:24
There are about 6 bottles of Rittenhouse at Bayview and Shepherd LCBO.

Gary

DAM
05-14-2011, 13:51
Anybody looking for a Spirit of Toronto Compass Box Master Class ticket? My brother in law can't make it so we have an extra.

dbk
05-14-2011, 22:57
Anybody looking for a Spirit of Toronto Compass Box Master Class ticket? My brother in law can't make it so we have an extra.
Bummer! If only I had seen this earlier, I would have taken you up on it. :(

sanzoluk
05-15-2011, 09:22
Hi guys, very new here, and what are the chances of one of the top threads being "Bourbon in Toronto"?

I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere that someone in Toronto excited to learn more about bourbon might find a tasting group, or a course on the subject?

I've searched high and low to no avail, and there's only so much that reading can offer.

Thanks in advance!

I run bi-monthly tastings with friends and coworkers. If anyone knows of or wants to set up a time/place to run regular bigger/more public ones, I would be happy to help out!

DAM
05-17-2011, 13:54
Bummer! If only I had seen this earlier, I would have taken you up on it. :(

Too bad. Unfortunately I didn't know until the last minute.

It was a good tasting. John is an engaging guy. Though the pacing could have been better... We spent the first half hour on the Compass Box story/ original Spice Tree and then only had 20 minutes to run through the current Spice Tree, Magic Cask, Peat Monster and Hedonism Maximus.

No surprise the bourbon selection at the show was atrocious with only Maker's, Maker's 46, Woodford Reserve and Corner Creek on offer.

The highlight of the night for me was the "Rum Shack" with Ian Burrell. He had a nice selection including Angostura 1919, Brugal 1888, El Dorado 15 and 21, Mount Gay 1703 and, my favorite of the evening, the Ron Zacapa Solera 23.

sanzoluk
05-19-2011, 09:50
They seem to have taken the Van Winkle entry down from the LCBO website. Did these ever hit the shelves or are they not releasing them now?

dbk
05-19-2011, 11:32
Huh. Yes, that's very odd. They don't appear in the May 28th catalogue, so I don't know what to make of this, either. Perhaps we need to contact the LCBO directly and ask somebody?

DAM
05-20-2011, 22:29

dbk
05-21-2011, 06:37
Aaaaaaaaaand now they're back in the system, too. :lol:

I'm guessing your photo was taken at Summerhill? That's the only location listed as stocking them so far.

DAM
05-21-2011, 07:09
Aaaaaaaaaand now they're back in the system, too. :lol:

I'm guessing your photo was taken at Summerhill? That's the only location listed as stocking them so far.

Yes. I had been told that they were still being released May 28, with only three stores in the Toronto area getting them (Summerhill, Bayview Village, Queens Quay), in very limited quantities (i.e. one case of each, each).

I'm going to be away next weekend so I stopped by Summerhill on my way home from work last night to ask about reserving some. And found them in the Whiskey Room.

sanzoluk
05-25-2011, 10:54
Wish I had checked this on Sunday! According to Summerhill, an "agent" came in and put 8 bottles on hold so they couldn't sell me anything. Fabulous.

DAM
05-25-2011, 14:51
Haha. This whole episode has been slightly bizarre.

I'm just glad I stumbled on some. Been enjoying the 10 yo 90 more than expected. There's a nice, balanced sweetness to it.

DAM
05-26-2011, 15:26
Queens Quay now has a case listed of each listed...

sanzoluk
05-27-2011, 06:22
I have the morning off, might as well make a trip down to Union Station to see what I can see...

sanzoluk
05-27-2011, 18:05
Welp, they had the ORVW10, but none of the PVW 12yr. I only bought a single bottle, since I'm not a giant VW10 (or wheater in general) fan.

I'm off on a two-day trip to Florida. 90% sure I won't get the chance to look beyond the airport duty-free for more whiskey, but who knows?

DAM
09-15-2011, 08:52
Looks like there may be some more Lot B coming in.

I've actually got to hand it to the LCBO. They've been bringing in a nice selection of American whiskey lately:

Blanton's Original
Four Roses Yellow Label
Four Roses Small Batch
Knob Creek Single Barrel
Sazerac 6 YO

dbk
09-15-2011, 09:48
Looks like there may be some more Lot B coming in.

I've actually got to hand it to the LCBO. They've been bringing in a nice selection of American whiskey lately:

Blanton's Original
Four Roses Yellow Label
Four Roses Small Batch
Knob Creek Single Barrel
Sazerac 6 YO
I've tasted all but the 4R Yellow Label and the Blanton's Original (though I did have the Blanton's Special Reserve when it was last here). I'd be curious to try both; I'd also pick up the 4R small batch, definitely the Sazerac again, and Lot B is always exciting, but I'd pass on the Knob Creek Single Barrel. The added ABV turned out not to be a great selling point, and the flavour profile isn't really all that distinguishable from the other Beam "Small Batch" releases using the same mash bill (Bookers and Bakers). In short, I found it disappointing and certainly not worth the price.

sanzoluk
11-04-2011, 07:42
Whiskyfest is tonight! Anyone else going?

DAM
11-11-2011, 12:27
Whiskyfest is tonight! Anyone else going?

Missed it unfortunately. How was the bourbon selection?

sanzoluk
11-11-2011, 19:55
Pretty poor, actually. Maker's, Bulleit, and the local tasting club (order of the quaitch? qatch?) had some 4 roses and woodford. I was a bit disappointed, but I didn't expect to try any new bourbon, since there is very little available up here that I haven't had before. I tried a lot of scotch, however, which I am still new to. Talked a bit to Mr. Bulleit and John Hall, which was a nice experience.

My favorite part of the evening? Bringing some Stagg over to my friend's house (a bunch of scotch lovers) and blowing their minds. Best drink of the night - no small feat!

DAM
11-26-2011, 10:34
Glad you like it, there is some connection with the regular profile (I had mentioned this earlier), but it is much better in my opinion. The medicinal taste is a traditional bourbon flavour from the time when bourbon was more estery than it is today. In tasting this 11-0069, I was continually reminded of tasting bourbons at gazebos from an older time.

Gary

I noticed some JDSB Barrel Program bottles at King/ Spadina yesterday. Assume it's a barrel specifically selected by or for the LCBO. Has anybody seen or tried one of these?

DAM
01-27-2012, 14:11
Old Forester Signature 100 Proof at the LCBO. Worth a try...?

dbk
01-27-2012, 14:21
Old Forester Signature 100 Proof at the LCBO. Worth a try...?
I'm wondering the same thing. Considering previous reviews, at $45 it strikes me as relatively poor value, given the prices on Buffalo Trace, Sazerac, Rittenhouse, and the two Four Roses bottlings at the LCBO. Can anybody comment about quality relative to these other available bourbon/ryes?

silverfish
01-27-2012, 14:24
I noticed some JDSB Barrel Program bottles at King/ Spadina yesterday. Assume it's a barrel specifically selected by or for the LCBO. Has anybody seen or tried one of these?

I haven't tried the K/S bottling but will say that while the JDSBs
can vary a bit in taste, most aren't half bad. If you like JD, you
may want to consider picking one up as the "private" picks do
seem to be better than the "standard' JDSB, at least in my
experience (tho' it does depend on the "picker").

sanzoluk
02-05-2012, 08:44
I love the better selection lately but the prices at the LCBO are ridiculous. $50 for 1792 RR (which, full disclosure, I really like), a bourbon that's typically in the $20-$25 range? I've never seen it more expensive than Maker's or Knob Creek in the US; it's usually around the price range of Buffalo Trace or Bulleit.

Old Forester 100 proof at $45? It's usually priced at a couple bucks over Beam in every state -- Jim Beam Black range, not more expensive than Woodford Reserve! (WR, granted, is on sale, but $3 off.)

I've come to terms with paying $15 more for my bourbon than I would in the states, but the pricing on these new offerings is ridiculous. I really can't justify buying either of them.

sanzoluk
02-05-2012, 08:57
Also, I started a bourbon review blog with a specific focus on educating LCBO customers on bourbon after some of my friends badgered me to do something like this. Unlike most sites I try to take price into consideration. It's not too pretty yet, I need to add pictures, and I'm considering removing scores entirely from my reviews, but no harm in sharing it here: www.ontariobourbon.com

Gillman
02-05-2012, 15:46
We do have an increasingly better choice, but often at a price. I bought some Old Forester Signature recently and found it a little bland, considering also the price is almost twice what I've paid in the States.

My solution is vatting amongst the choice we have, but that will not appeal to all.

One of our best values IMO is Jack Daniels SB.

Gary

Gillman
02-05-2012, 19:29
IMO, the best quality/price combination currently in Ontario for bourbon is Four Roses, and Bulleit.

Gary

sanzoluk
02-05-2012, 20:56
IMO, the best quality/price combination currently in Ontario for bourbon is Four Roses, and Bulleit.

Gary

I would definitely agree with that. I almost always have one of both open on my shelf. We are pretty sparse on good wheaters up here, but fortunately I prefer FR's rye-heavy profile.

That's why I think it's a shame that several new releases seem to be priced so out of whack with what I would consider comparable to those two (and theor relative prices in the states).

Smithford
02-06-2012, 13:36

Gary
For my money Rittenhouse BIB* is the best value pour currently in Ontario. Though we're paying way more than our American cousins, Ritt's flavor to price ratio compares very favorably with the other American whiskeys available here.

I was just ranting about this the other day in the "Bourbon Hell" thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17238&page=3). :smiley_acbt:

* I know, not technically a bourbon, but the most bourbony rye out there.

Smithford
02-06-2012, 13:47
My solution is vatting amongst the choice we have, but that will not appeal to all.

Inspired by your posts here, I've tried some vatting where necessary. You're right that, considering what we pay, ignoring a bad bottle isn't an option in Ontario.

I recently opened a bottle of 1792 for a VBT and found it underwhelming. I've been vatting it with Bookers which to me, is the bourbon equivalent of a punch in the face. Essentially, I'm using the 1792 to water down the Bookers. It actually works really well!

dbk
03-10-2012, 09:11
Not strictly in Toronto, but close by, I thought I might use this thread to announce an upcoming event.

After a fantastic evening last year, Quatrefoil Restaurant (http://quatrefoilrestaurant.com/) of Dundas, Ontario, will again be hosting a whisky tasting dinner on April 3rd, 2012. Imbibe: The Whisky Tasting Dinner features a six course menu by chef extraordinaire Fraser MacFarlane and whisky pairings by yours truly.

Yes, there will be bourbon at the tasting, as well as a few other whiskies.

See here (http://quatrefoilrestaurant.com/#/events) and the attached poster (below) for more details.

sanzoluk
03-16-2012, 07:48
Not a bourbon, but Green Spot is in the LCBO right now. Considering how rare it is in North America, I would definitely consider it a reasonable pick-up if you like irish whiskey. The one time I had it, it reminded me of a little bit complex Redbreast -- not as creamy but still pungent and good.

DAM
03-28-2012, 20:32
Anybody know what the story is with Spirit of Toronto this year? They've really dropped the ball by not updating their website.

Smithford
03-29-2012, 07:49
Tickets are on sale Monday.

They updated the website just the other day by adding the Masterclass info.

http://spiritoftoronto.ca/