PDA

View Full Version : What is/are your favorite BIB('s)

trumpstylz
03-01-2011, 23:54
What's your favorite Bonded whiskey- including rye and mellow corn? Let's go ahead and exclude Wild Turkey American Spirit (not fair to compare an 18$ bottle to a 100$ bottle).

I'll go first:

My first four are a very close race.

1. VOB
2. Rittenhouse
3. Old Forester (not sure if it's still bonded- but its good)
4. OGD (most recent bottling was a bit thinner/less spicy than I remember it, but still really good)

Heavenhill is also pretty good, but I haven't got hold of the 6 year yet. I've only had EW BIB one time about 5 years ago when I went to a Volunteers game in knoxville, but as I remember it was tasty.
Mellow corn is also good, but I recently had some Old fitz BIB and was kind of disappointed (might have just been a bad bottle though).

callmeox
03-02-2011, 04:56
1) Four Roses Single Barrel
2) VOB
3) Rittenhouse
3a) JTS Brown

With a large gap between 1 and the rest.

Parkersback
03-02-2011, 05:27
Ox, do you find JTS Brown to be better/different than other HG BIB's?
S
It barely matters for me inasmuch almost none of them are available in NYC. But I'll be in KY soon & want to pick a few up.

Josh
03-02-2011, 05:46
Of those described as BiBs on the label... (for the smarty pants)

1. Very Old Barton BiB
2. Old Grand-dad BiB
3. Henry McKenna 10 y/o BiB
4. Heaven Hill 6 y/o BiB (White Label)
5. Rittenhouse Rye BiB

In the "decent mixer" category: Old Fitz BiB, JTS Brown BiB

Dusties: Old Forester BiB, ND era OGD BiB, JW Dant BiB (had some of that at Doug's place last spring, holy cats was that tasty!)

callmeox
03-02-2011, 07:06
Ox, do you find JTS Brown to be better/different than other HG BIB's?
S
It barely matters for me inasmuch almost none of them are available in NYC. But I'll be in KY soon & want to pick a few up.

I also like the gold label bonded HH, but JTS Brown is available in Ohio so I picked the o.e I can get with a short drive.

Is it better? None of the cheap bonds will knock me off of my feet, but I recognize them for their superior price/value return.

Perhaps I need to do a HH green, HH gold, JTS comparo to see if there is a marked difference.

p_elliott
03-02-2011, 07:36
I like the Riittenhouse Rye BIB, EW BIB, HH BIB 6 yr, and OGD BIB.

trumpstylz
03-02-2011, 08:48
Of those described as BiBs on the label... (for the smarty pants)

1. Very Old Barton BiB
2. Old Grand-dad BiB
3. Henry McKenna 10 y/o BiB
4. Heaven Hill 6 y/o BiB (White Label)
5. Rittenhouse Rye BiB

Wow, I didn't know Henry Mckenna 10 yr existed- sounds good!

Josh
03-02-2011, 09:03
Wow, I didn't know Henry Mckenna 10 yr existed- sounds good!

It won't knock yer socks off but it's a sweet, subtle pre-supper or summertime sipper. It will only set you back $33 at Binny's or $30 here in the Great Lakes State.

sailor22
03-02-2011, 10:54
Old Bourbon Hollow BiB
JTS Brown BiB

Dusties;
JWDant BiB from the '70's and early '80's.
Old Taylor BiB from the same era.
Old Grand Dad BiB from ND

squire
03-02-2011, 13:06
There are four BIBs available to me so I may as well call them my regulars if not favorites, Barton, Grand Dad, Heaven Hill and Dant.

kickert
03-02-2011, 13:08
Ritt BIB

roostercogburn
03-02-2011, 20:26
OGD and Ritt BiB. Both are absolute steals

ErichPryde
03-02-2011, 20:39
Beam BIB
Rittenhouse BIB
Old Fitz BIB (80s)

G.H.Adams
03-02-2011, 20:48
The following:

OGD
Ritt 100
Henry McKenna
HH white
Old Fitz

ErichPryde
03-02-2011, 21:13
I gotta add (dusty) Colonel Lee BIB to the list. great stuff. and ETL BUB. wait... that's a BUB not a BIB.

flintlock
03-02-2011, 22:55
Beam BIB
Rittenhouse BIB
Old Fitz BIB (80s)

Hey...no fair!! :grin:

My Big Three:
VOB BiB
EW BiB (White Label)
McKenna SB (a new found favorite)

That's a lot of good whiskey right there.

I also like Ritt BiB but am only about half way into my first bottle, and haven't decided if it's a favorite or not.

Robmo
03-03-2011, 06:34
WL Weller Centennial is one of my favorites. Great for sippin' neat in the wintertime. Goes well with Raymond Chandler novels.

Rittenhouse 100 is great. Used it in Manhattans and Old-fashioneds all the time. Sadly, it did not last long.

Can't say I've been lucky enough to try many of the others.

ratcheer
03-03-2011, 06:39
Rock Hill Farms, Henry McKenna 10 Y.O., Old Grand Dad

Tim

trumpstylz
03-03-2011, 07:16

Tim

I keep forgettin that all the the 100 prf single barrels are BIB's.

squire
03-03-2011, 16:40
Tim I was going to toss in Rock Hill but couldn't remember if it was bonded. Suppose I could have stepped around to the local but I'm saving that temptation for tomorrow.

ErichPryde
03-03-2011, 18:09
Hey...no fair!! :grin:

No fair? Beam BIB hasn't been made in nearly 40 years either :).

WL Weller Centennial is one of my favorites. Great for sippin' neat in the wintertime. Goes well with Raymond Chandler novels.

Rittenhouse 100 is great. Used it in Manhattans and Old-fashioneds all the time. Sadly, it did not last long.

Can't say I've been lucky enough to try many of the others.

Didn't realize that Centennial was bonded. not a single bottle I have says that anywhere.

Tim

SNAP about RHF. the old bonded stuff from the mid 90s WAS good. and good call- except for the fact that I've found some I almost forgot it was bonded ever. :)

Robmo
03-03-2011, 21:50
Didn't realize that Centennial was bonded. not a single bottle I have says that anywhere.

Mine says it's one hundred proof...so that makes it bonded, as far as I understand the term bonded. I was also under the impression that the name Centennial was an indirect reference to the "100 proof". (I could be wrong about all this!)

callmeox
03-04-2011, 04:36
Mine says it's one hundred proof...so that makes it bonded, as far as I understand the term bonded. I was also under the impression that the name Centennial was an indirect reference to the "100 proof". (I could be wrong about all this!)

100 proof is only one of the qualifiers for Bottled in Bond.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=210527&postcount=18

squire
03-04-2011, 09:23
Rob if it doesn't say 'Bottled in Bond' somewhere on the label or bottle then it doesn't meet all the requirements. That isn't to say it is any less of a whisky though, I'm perfectly satisfied with 100 proof.

Years ago Bottled in Bond was an indication that you were buying a superior product but that distinction has blurred over time. The Bonded designation means the whisky was distilled in one season by one master distiller at one distillery and placed in new charred oak barrels to age for a minimum of four years in a government supervised Federally bonded warehouse, then bottled at 100 proof. The whisky could be aged longer but four years is the minimum.

The Bottled in Bond Act was passed in 1897 and one of it's original purposes was to ensure the consumer was getting the real deal as opposed to less desirable whisky imitations that were then on the market.

A hundred years ago distilleries shut down during the summer because it was too hot to make good whisky so distilling took place during the Spring and Fall and these periods were known as seasons. So, one season, one master distiller, one distillery and then locked up under government supervision until ready to be bottled for sale. Of course all this didn't make the whisky any better but did assure it's authenticity.

The term is archaic now because distilleries can run year round and quality control is not dependent on the supervision of one person. Some brands (Old Forester Signature comes to mind) that could qualify as Bonded no longer do so and the whisky is none the worse for it.

Frankly, we consumers may be better served by the producers having more leeway in mingling whiskies of different seasons to provide us with consistent quality in their regular brands.

Josh
03-04-2011, 09:43
Rob if it doesn't say 'Bottled in Bond' somewhere on the label or bottle then it doesn't meet all the requirements. That isn't to say it is any less of a whisky though, I'm perfectly satisfied with 100 proof.

Not necessarily. Any single barrel bourbon bottled at 100 proof of sufficient age qualifies (assuming everything in there is from the same distillery), even if they don't have BiB on the bottle. 4R Single Barrel is an example of a BiB that isn't labeled as one.

squire
03-04-2011, 10:18
Josh I thought I made that clear further in my post but let me rephrase. If it doesn't say 'Bottled in Bond' on the label or bottle then it may not meet all the requirements to be so labeled, or, the producer, for whatever reasons, may simply choose not to use that designation.

Once an indication of quality the phrase, though useful, we have an idea of what we are getting, doesn't carry the same weight it once did among consumers.

cowdery
03-04-2011, 12:40
BIB never really meant superior quality, but people took it that way.

Old Bourbon Hollow is the bonded version of the Jim Beam recipe. It's not widely available, but you can find it in Kentucky.

My faves are OGD BIB, VOB BIB, Rittenhouse Rye BIB, Old Fitzgerald BIB, JTS Brown BIB, and Mellow Corn BIB.

I have no reason to believe JTS Brown is any different or better than any other Heaven Hill BIB, it just happens to be the one I usually buy. I have affection for the name because I used to know some guys in Columbus, Ohio, who had a band called JTS Brown and they used to perform a song I wrote.

Many producers these days choose not to use the BIB designation even though they can. Fred Noe has told me that Knob Creek could be labeled BIB, they just choose not to.

flintlock
03-04-2011, 13:19
I thought it was interesting that the new E.H. Taylor that is supposed to be coming out is labeled BIB. I thought that was a nice sort of nostalgic touch on their part.

After tasting the new version of Old Fitz BIB today for the BOTM, I'll have to add it to my favorites list. I was impressed. I'd love to try some of the great old stuff from when the dinosaurs roamed...:bowdown:

cowdery
03-04-2011, 18:41
Bernheim Fitz has a little bit more bitterness than SW Fitz ever did. That's the main difference to me.

squire
03-05-2011, 00:25
Well, not superior quality, I wouldn't make that quantum leap, just something one wouldn't be embarrassed to serve to guests.

Josh
03-05-2011, 10:54
It's your key to hospitality.

Robmo
03-06-2011, 01:17
The Bonded designation means the whisky was distilled in one season by one master distiller at one distillery and placed in new charred oak barrels to age for a minimum of four years in a government supervised Federally bonded warehouse, then bottled at 100 proof. The whisky could be aged longer but four years is the minimum..

Thanks for that clarification!

I was also wondering why some distillers continue to label their products "bonded" and also why "bonded" products continue to appeal to some whiskey consumers. As you say the term is archaic. Perhaps it is precisely that aspect of the term that has an appeal, the fact that it sort of harkens back to a bygone era. Just thinking out loud.

cowdery
03-06-2011, 11:18
For a long time after World War II, when fully aged whiskey was always scarce, "bottled in bond" became known as 'the good stuff.' That reputation persists among mostly older people.

For enthusiasts, bonds almost always are a good value. It's hard to same why this is but it seems to be true. Bonds are also a "single batch" whiskey, made by one distillery and one distiller in one season. Although barrels are mixed together there is unlikely to be much barrel variation when all of the whiskey is essentially the same age, so it's a real measure of what the distillery can produce without much opportunity for improvement through mixing in older barrels.

smokinjoe
03-06-2011, 12:45
As I never like to tax my brainz, I'll keep my selection to just those that are listed as BIB on the label. It really comes down to HH BIB's, and VOB BIB for me. In every way measurable, I adore these whiskies. If I had to choose just one...like the bestest/favoritest "desert island" BIB?????? Like Battle of da BIB's????.....The winner would be....da VOB...no, da HH.....no, da VOB.....no, da HH.....no, da VOB.....no, da HH....no, da VOB.....no, da HH......no, da VOB......no, da HH......no, da VOB.......no, da HH.......no, da VOB......no, da HH.......no, da VOB.......no, da HH.......no, da VOB.......no, da HH.......no, da VOB......no, da HH.......no, da VOB.......no, da HH.......no......................................

The senseless waste of pitting these two might forces of nature against each other, like matter vs. anti-matter, would be a tragedy, not only for the whiskies, but for our planet. All nations must band together, to ensure that such a conflagration never takes place...

squire
03-06-2011, 13:17
Rob I doubt my Father and his friends knew anything about the requirements to be met for a whisky to be Bonded. Back in their day whisky was 86 proof, 100 proof or bonded and they considered Bonded to be the good stuff.

In their price range Bonded HH, Barton and Dant are good values and I hope they stay around for a good while.

cowdery
03-06-2011, 15:41
Same way with my Dad. Just that simple. "Bonded is the good stuff." If you grow up hearing that then it persists into the next generation just like any other important parental lesson.

PaulO
03-06-2011, 18:49
"Bonded is the good stuff." My favorites currently; probably Rittenhouse (when available), then Old Fitz or JTS Brown, OGD, HH 6 year. The last bottle of Dant reminded me of HH 4 year (ok but not what it used to be). JTS Brown was always different than some of the other HH bonds in that it seemed to be very mellow, with less spice and no eucalyptus or medicinal taste. I haven't seen it lately. Barton is very nice, but they don't sell the bonded version near me. Mellow Corn as well, available in other states. I do see the Henry McKenna in a few places, but never tried it because of the price. Maybe I'll have to pick some up, since you guys say it's good.

squire
03-06-2011, 20:09
Paul I supposed for awhile HH might be bottling essentially the same BIB under different labels but a comparison of the Evan Williams white label BIB and the Dant BIB pointed out some differences. The Dant is a little rougher around the edges and a bit younger so four years sounds right.

fishnbowljoe
03-06-2011, 21:03
Ancient Age, Evan William, JTS Brown, VOB, HH 6 yr and Old Fitz are my favorites among current bottlings. Dusties I prefer are Old Fitz, Old Forester and JW Dant. Cheers to BIB's! Joe

Robmo
03-07-2011, 01:02
For a long time after World War II, when fully aged whiskey was always scarce, "bottled in bond" became known as 'the good stuff.' That reputation persists among mostly older people.

For enthusiasts, bonds almost always are a good value... Bonds are also a "single batch" whiskey, made by one distillery and one distiller in one season. ... it's a real measure of what the distillery can produce without much opportunity for improvement through mixing in older barrels.

Thanks for this explanation. It's making more sense to me now. I'm definitely enjoying all the bourbon history/knowledge I'm getting on this thread.

Robmo
03-26-2011, 09:43
Don't think anyone's mentioned this one yet... Was this ever available in the states? Ever try it?

http://blog.murablo.jp/resources/member/012/306/0048721/FDONDKtH.jpg

trumpstylz
03-26-2011, 13:39
Don't think anyone's mentioned this one yet... Was this ever available in the states? Ever try it?

Definitely NOT available in the states.

squire
03-26-2011, 22:20
Have never seen it.

ErichPryde
03-27-2011, 02:00

What age is that? Beam has a KY only "old bourbon hollow" or some-such that is a BIB. Maybe the same stuff?

Knob Creek, although not a BIB, could maybe fit the definition of a BIB.

Robmo
03-27-2011, 06:57
What age is that? Beam has a KY only "old bourbon hollow" or some-such that is a BIB. Maybe the same stuff?

You got me. All I know is that it apparently was available in Japan in the 90s...there's one dealer on the Web who says they only have two bottles left. I'm thinking about ordering them at $50 each.

Apparently there is a version available in Australia as well:

http://www.liquorhomedelivery.com.au/mediumimages/13182.jpg
There is a version in NZ in a slightly different package:http://www.topshelfliquor.co.nz/estore/style/080686008200.aspx
And there is even a Beam bonded cola. This one blew me away.
http://jimbeamracing.com.au/images/Blog/bonded.jpg

trumpstylz
03-27-2011, 14:58
You got me. All I know is that it apparently was available in Japan in the 90s...there's one dealer on the Web who says they only have two bottles left. I'm thinking about ordering them at $50 each.

Apparently there is a version available in Australia as well:

There is a version in NZ in a slightly different package:http://www.topshelfliquor.co.nz/estore/style/080686008200.aspx
And there is even a Beam bonded cola. This one blew me away.

WWWOOOOOOOOWWWWW

squire
03-27-2011, 15:10
Proudly announcing 7% alcohol, guess the others are a bit less.

cowdery
03-27-2011, 18:16
Beam's bond, Old Bourbon Hollow, isn't limited to Kentucky. I saw it on a Chicago back bar last week. But it is not widely distributed.

ErichPryde
03-28-2011, 00:11
Beam's bond, Old Bourbon Hollow, isn't limited to Kentucky. I saw it on a Chicago back bar last week. But it is not widely distributed.

Thank you for the information. It seems that Chicago somehow gets hold of some interesting whiskey.

Gillman
03-28-2011, 04:32
Is that NZ bonded Beam 12 years old? That would be a departure from anything similar here.

Gary

squire
03-28-2011, 06:20
Chuck is there an age statement on the Beam bond you saw?

cowdery
03-28-2011, 21:11
Nope, no age statement.

Robmo
03-29-2011, 00:44
Proudly announcing 7% alcohol, guess the others are a bit less.

I guess alcohol content varies by country and market. In Japan the four roses highball can was 7%; now that's for an 80 proofer. The ironic thing about a bonded product in an RTD is that to maintain a 7% alcohol content ceiling, there will be actually less whiskey used! (Or so I gather with my crude mathematical skills.)

cowdery
03-29-2011, 11:16
Outside the U.S., 'bonded' is just a word. Unless it has some legal meaning in the local jurisdiction. There's no reason to assume they used a BIB as the source rather than something else. It's not like they're using bottled whiskey to make these things. They're starting with bulk whiskey at barrel proof.