PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Buffalo

gent2590
03-14-2011, 10:44
Hey all! Like many new members, I've been reading a lot on this site and learned a lot. I'm 22 and my brother-in-law first got me into good (well, from my limited experience, what I consider "good") bourbon with knob creek. Of course, when he gave me a pour for the first time, I ignorantly walked over to the fridge for some Coke and he slapped me in the face. Since then, I have enjoyed others such as Elijah Craig 12y and Buffalo Trace. I've also suffered through some $8 bottles, but I AM a college student so I found a way to consume it. I typically drink EC or KC neat, w/ an ice cube or two, or a few drops of water. I wanted to experiment with these ways of drinking it just to see how the notes change or what I enjoy most.

Just wanted to give some background. ANYWAYS enough of that rambling.

I was thinking it's time to purchase another bottle. I want to stay under $50. Here are some considerations, Let me know what you think!

Willet Single Barrel
Jeffersons very small batch
Makers 46 (Makers Mark was OK, nothing special)
Blantons
Basil Hayden
Eagle Rare
1792 Ridgemont Reserve
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
Bakers
Elmer T. Lee

Brisko
03-14-2011, 11:28
Welcome!

I guess I would avoid Basil Hayden's, you might try Old Granddad, either the Bottled in Bond or the 114 proof version if you can find it. I prefer the 114 myself.
Otherwise you can't really do wrong by that list.

dbk
03-14-2011, 14:38
From one relative SB noob to another, welcome aboard!

I was thinking it's time to purchase another bottle. I want to stay under $50. Here are some considerations, Let me know what you think!

Willet Single Barrel
Jeffersons very small batch
Makers 46 (Makers Mark was OK, nothing special)
Blantons
Basil Hayden
Eagle Rare
1792 Ridgemont Reserve
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
Bakers
Elmer T. Lee

Buffalo has a nice selection, and you can find a lot of good choices below the $50 mark. I'd recommend the Eagle Rare 10 Single Barrel, as it was something of an eye-opener for me, but as always, tastes vary...

gent2590
03-14-2011, 15:06
Thanks guys! I think I'm either going to go with ETL or Eagle Rare. They're the same cost near here.

hectic1
03-14-2011, 15:21
Welcome aboard...

I would look at ETL, ER 10/90, Weller Antique, and Weller 12yr for starters...all of those should be available and below $30 a bottle. IMO the OWA and OGD 114 are two higher proof lower price bottles that get it done! :)

Enjoy the ride...

silverfish
03-15-2011, 08:23
... Weller Antique, and Weller 12yr for starters...

Add Weller Special Reserve to the list as well!

Welcome Nick. I'm from WNY as well - just a little north of you
and agree with dbk that Buffalo does have a decent selection,
especially for $50. or less.

squire
03-15-2011, 21:11
Hey Nick, welcome aboard, Eagle Rare or ET Lee would be a good choice. Or both of course if the budget allows. At this stage I suggest you concentrate on brands from the major producers where you will find quality, price and selection.

gent2590
03-16-2011, 10:24
I suggest you concentrate on brands from the major producers where you will find quality, price and selection

Do you mean like EWSB?

dbk
03-16-2011, 12:23
Do you mean like EWSB?

I think squire means releases from Buffalo Trace/Sazerac, Heaven Hill, Beam, etc. Eagle Rare and Elmer T Lee are both produced by Buffalo Trace, as are the Wellers, and Evan Williams Single Barrel is Heaven Hill, as is Elijah Craig. You've already tasted Knob Creek, which is Beam, so you might like Baker's or Booker's, which are based on the same mash bill but aged and selected slightly differently. The sky's (nearly) the limit.

Robmo
03-18-2011, 08:29
Welcome aboard Nick. I'm also from WNY. Grew up rooting for Joe Cribbs, Jerry Butler, Fred Smerlas and all those guys.

I'm just as much a novice as you, but from your list I've had good luck with Blanton's and Basel Hayden's. I know BH is not popular with other SB.com members, but you have to try everything at least once and make up your own mind.

Since you like KC you probably have a taste for the stronger, manlier stuff and you'd proabably like OGD 114, which is what I'm drinking tonight.:grin:

Have fun with your tasting adventures. Look forward to seeing you around on here.

squire
03-18-2011, 13:27
Squire has to be occasionally reminded that his posts can be too terse.