PDA

View Full Version : New to bourbon, some questions

denec
03-15-2011, 09:35
Hi all,

I want to say first off, a superb looking great site and everyone here seems to be friendly.

My question is, I am normally a scotch drinker, but looking to broaden my horizons..and truth is, I see that bourbon compared to scotch is cheaper i guess because it is not imported, so trying to save some money due to economy.

So far I have tried 2 bourbons, Wild Turkey 101 I think it called, and Maker's Mark 46, also Old Crow.

Maker's Mark 46 i heard so many great reviews, while I thought it was ok, it was not spectacular or of my liking. I would drink it again if someone offered but would not buy another bottle.

Wild Turkey 101, did not really like at all.

And Old Crow well for price was not bad but very sweet.

So my question based on what I had any recommendations to try something else that might be more my liking if possible?

Or is bourbon just not my cup of tea if I did not like those 3? But I am willing to keep trying more maybe I just have not found the right one.

I am looking form something I can drink almost everyday..I love to have one or two glasses every night after dinner which is why looking for something affordable.

Thanks in advance!

Gillman
03-15-2011, 09:55
Hope you enjoy the site.

All bourbon doesn't taste the same.

I would try Old Forester, preferably the 100 proof version, or Buffalo Trace, or Bulleit. Some bourbon fans enjoy Blanton, which some have compared to a scotch in its dry character. It costs more but you may find it worth it.

Gary

Whiskey Willie
03-15-2011, 10:35
Welcome to the Web site. I second the Buffalo Trace suggestion...Good bourbon at a very affordable price...I usually buy a 1.75 L for about $35.

White Dog
03-15-2011, 11:07
Welcome to SB.

Before you start casting around the world of Bourbon, I would revisit the Turkey101. Try adding some water until it starts to suit you, as most Scotch is bottled at lower proofs than 101. Also the oak treatment is much more forward than Scotch.

And try this on a couple of occasions, as it may take time for a palate to adjust to Bourbon. Also, when it comes to Scotch drinkers, I tend to recommend Rye as a first step, but that's another can of worms.

And if you thought Maker's 46 was okay, Weller 12yr will knock your socks off. (At least it does mine.:cool: )

Brisko
03-15-2011, 11:31
What Scotches do you like the best? Scotch is such a broad category, if you can narrow it down for us we might be able to make a better recommendation.

Welcome, by the way!

denec
03-15-2011, 11:33
Welcome to SB.

Before you start casting around the world of Bourbon, I would revisit the Turkey101. Try adding some water until it starts to suit you, as most Scotch is bottled at lower proofs than 101. Also the oak treatment is much more forward than Scotch.

And try this on a couple of occasions, as it may take time for a palate to adjust to Bourbon. Also, when it comes to Scotch drinkers, I tend to recommend Rye as a first step, but that's another can of worms.

And if you thought Maker's 46 was okay, Weller 12yr will knock your socks off. (At least it does mine.:cool: )

true maybe the higher proof is a bit tougher for me to enjoy neat..most scotchs I think are 40-43% alcohol

When you say Rye, do you mean Rye bourbon or Rye like in Canadian rye like Seagram's 7 ( i know there are better ones but only thing i can think of off top of my head)

I will take a look at Weller 12 year and Buffalo Trace.

Thanks for suggestions everyone!

denec
03-15-2011, 11:52
What Scotches do you like the best? Scotch is such a broad category, if you can narrow it down for us we might be able to make a better recommendation.

Welcome, by the way!

Sure some of my favorites are Talisker 10 year, Laguvalin 16 year, Highland Park 12 year, Balvenie Doublewood, and I do like Johnnie walker Black, probably my favorite blend.

Thanks for the welcome!

Brisko
03-15-2011, 12:05
Well, as a part-time Scotch drinker, with at least partially similar tastes, I'd say that Buffalo Trace is a decent option. I know you didn't care for Wild Turkey but the higher end options like Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit might be more to your liking.

I second the rye recommendation-- not Canadian (though it's good, too), American straight rye. Based on your Scotch preferences, I'd recommend Sazerac (baby Saz, not the 18).

Good luck. I like Scotch and bourbon pretty equally but not really for the same reasons. I like Scotch because it's not bourbon, and vice versa.

White Dog
03-15-2011, 12:25
true maybe the higher proof is a bit tougher for me to enjoy neat..most scotchs I think are 40-43% alcohol

When you say Rye, do you mean Rye bourbon or Rye like in Canadian rye like Seagram's 7 ( i know there are better ones but only thing i can think of off top of my head)

I will take a look at Weller 12 year and Buffalo Trace.

Thanks for suggestions everyone!

I meant American Straight Rye. Wild Turkey101Rye, Rittenhouse 100proof Bottled in Bond, or Van Winkle(on the high-end) would be great places to start.

denec
03-15-2011, 12:44
Well, as a part-time Scotch drinker, with at least partially similar tastes, I'd say that Buffalo Trace is a decent option. I know you didn't care for Wild Turkey but the higher end options like Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit might be more to your liking.

I second the rye recommendation-- not Canadian (though it's good, too), American straight rye. Based on your Scotch preferences, I'd recommend Sazerac (baby Saz, not the 18).

Good luck. I like Scotch and bourbon pretty equally but not really for the same reasons. I like Scotch because it's not bourbon, and vice versa.

I meant American Straight Rye. Wild Turkey101Rye, Rittenhouse 100proof Bottled in Bond, or Van Winkle(on the high-end) would be great places to start.

Great thanks for choices I will probably hit my liquor store tonight on way home and see what they got and how much.

Bourbon Boiler
03-15-2011, 16:37
I would second the Bulleit idea. It's very avilable and it's an inexpensive mistake if you don't like it. When I'm introducing people to bourbon, if they don't drink other high proof drinks I start them with Makers Mark. If they do, I start them with Bulleit. I can't say there is much science behind it, but it seems to work.

denec
03-15-2011, 16:41
So i went to store just to check it out here is what they had

Bulliet - $36
Buffalo Trace - $29

no weller 12

and old forester for $16 but guy said to stay away..but not sure i can trust his opinion, they had none of the ryes mentioed

tehbeardman
03-15-2011, 16:52
I have read that some Scotch drinkers enjoy some of the Four Roses offerings. I'd say if you can get the Yellow Label Four Roses, shouldn't be more than $20.

squire
03-15-2011, 19:58
Hey denec, welcome aboard. I share your liking for Talisker and Forester is just about my favorite Bourbon.

denec
03-16-2011, 06:08
Funny thing is the guy at the store say Old Forester is horrible...then again this is the same guy who recommended Old Crow to me...so i would not trust his opinion...LOL

Brisko
03-16-2011, 07:34
Funny thing is the guy at the store say Old Forester is horrible...then again this is the same guy who recommended Old Crow to me...so i would not trust his opinion...LOL

Sounds like you should ignore him... or at least do the opposite of his recommendations. Forester is great, both the 86 and the 100 proof. I like the 100 proof better, though, and at the price, you can't go wrong.

denec
03-16-2011, 08:12
Sounds like you should ignore him... or at least do the opposite of his recommendations. Forester is great, both the 86 and the 100 proof. I like the 100 proof better, though, and at the price, you can't go wrong.

Yeah he told me he drinks Old Crow and then chases it with coke..and I told him that is waste to me..I only drink my whiskey neat and if I need a chaser, then that means it is not good at all.

He did say Weller 12 and Buffalo Trace are both very good bourbons.

I am going to check out another store in area and see if have Weller 12 and what prices are

For some reason I notice people list prices and always more money here usually $10 or more..must be because I live in the state of NY, highest taxed state in this country I think

TNbourbon
03-16-2011, 14:30
Yeah he told me he drinks Old Crow and then chases it with coke...
Old Crow, also, comes in two 'flavors' -- the standard white label, which is 3yo Jim Beam whiskey (and probably the worst thing they put in a bourbon bottle); and the 4yo/86-proof, black-label Reserve, which is a worthy bottom-shelf buy.
I assume you tasted the standard, which IS dreck, pretty much. But, don't shy away from the OC Reserve, if you see it, for inexpensive all-purpose mixing and kitchen use, as well as an occasional solo sip.

ebo
03-16-2011, 16:23
Hi there. I'm a Scotch drinker turned Bourban fan... not that I don't still love my Scotch. :lol:

Keep giving bourbon a chance... it will grow on you. As someone else suggested, try Four Roses. It is less sweet than some others and finishes somewhat dry with a hint of pepper or "red hot" candy, as some describe. Another bourbon you may like is Eagle Rare. It has a kind of grassy, earthy quality about it. I definitely recommend Buffalo Trace, along with the other's who suggested it.

I'm at the point where I honestly love bourbon every bit as much as I love scotch. Welcome to SB.com. You will learn a lot from the knowledgeable members here, excluding myself, of course, as I have much to learn, still. :grin:

craigthom
03-16-2011, 18:50
Sure some of my favorites are Talisker 10 year, Laguvalin 16 year, Highland Park 12 year, Balvenie Doublewood, and I do like Johnnie walker Black, probably my favorite blend.

Thanks for the welcome!

The Johnny Walker Black makes sense; that's where most Talisker ends up.

craigthom
03-16-2011, 18:53
I have read that some Scotch drinkers enjoy some of the Four Roses offerings. I'd say if you can get the Yellow Label Four Roses, shouldn't be more than $20.

In my opinion, the yellow label wouldn't make a good match for someone who likes very peaty scotches. I'd go with the single barrel Four Roses.

Elijah Craig 18 is another option. I like woody bourbons, peaty scotches, and hoppy beers.

denec
03-18-2011, 07:12
Thanks everyone for replies! all very helpful.

I have been trying to find the weller 12 year...no store around me here carries it..you figure in NY someone would have it

So I think this weekend I am going to go for the Buffalo Trace which is only $29 and won't break the bank if I do not like it.

unclebunk
03-18-2011, 07:15
Thanks everyone for replies! all very helpful.

I have been trying to find the weller 12 year...no store around me here carries it..you figure in NY someone would have it

So I think this weekend I am going to go for the Buffalo Trace which is only $29 and won't break the bank if I do not like it.

It is a very respectable bourbon, so you won't go wrong with it, though it may appeal more to the Speyside drinker than the Islay devotee.

Robmo
03-18-2011, 08:15
Wild Turkey 101, did not really like at all.

So my question based on what I had any recommendations to try something else that might be more my liking if possible?

Or is bourbon just not my cup of tea if I did not like those 3? But I am willing to keep trying more maybe I just have not found the right one.
!

I was in the same situation about a year ago...disappointed with the bourbons I'd tasted, somehow wanting to keep exploring.

I agree with the Blanton's recommendation earlier.

I can't recommend bourbon based on your taste in scotch, but if it's the smoothness/lower proof aspect of scotch you like, then Basel Hayden's might be a good way to ease into bourbon. It's not that popular with SB.com members, but I've appreciated its user friendliness. It feels like a velvety blanket over your throat. Easy to drink neat.

In Evan Williams 7 year, I thought I found my staple "best buy" bourbon. Classic bourbon flavor, at least as I imagined it. Four Roses Yellow Label is also a great buy.

The main thing is just keep exploring. Happy tasting!

(Just humble opinions from another noob.)

denec
03-18-2011, 12:30
just curious would you say Buffalo Trace is a lot different and or better then Wild Turkey 101?

denec
03-19-2011, 22:51
one more question i went to different store today and they had weller 107 which is 107 proof, how is that compared to 12 year?

It was only $19.99, they also had buffalo trace for $24.99 better prices

gblick
03-20-2011, 03:22
That's a great price for the Weller 107 (these days..!).
I like it even more than the 12yo, which is awesome in it's own right.
I also prefer the Wellers over Buffalo Trace, but that's just my taste preference.
Go for it, you can't go wrong. The proof is higher but you'll get used to it.
In fact, get both and compare/enjoy their differences.

squire
03-20-2011, 08:44
dnec, I don't give much thought as to whether one whisky is better than another, rather I prefer to explore their differences.

p_elliott
03-21-2011, 07:43
just curious would you say Buffalo Trace is a lot different and or better then Wild Turkey 101?

There is a big difference between BT and WT 101. I drink a lot of WT 101 but like to have BT on hand as well. Which one is better is a matter of taste. It's like saying which is better blondes or brunettes or redheads or girls with big boobs or little boobs.........

denec
03-22-2011, 08:45
I guess I should have said quality, like I know in certain scotches like comparing Dewars to say Johnnie Walker Black..there is a difference in Qaulity IMO...of course everyone taste is subjective, and someone might like Dewars a lot better.

I guess I just meant is BT different enough or a scale that would be considered something a bit more premium if you can say that then WT.

I need to pick up bottle of BT or the Weller 107..but work has been crazy every time i get home now store is closed LOL

Stu
03-22-2011, 09:40
denec, welcome aboard. I used to say the main difference between bourbon and Listerine is that you can swallow bourbon. With a little experimenting and a lot of help from members of this board, I now enjoy bourbon. My wife was a more dye hard fan of malt than I was and she now enjoys bourbon as well. My recommendations are as follows. Try Basil Hayden from the JB small batch collection. Someone will say "buy Old granddad 114 and get the same juice with more alcohol at a cheaper price". I won't say Ignore them, however.... . Basil Hayden spends more time in the wood than OG and it is bottled at a lower proof, making it the closest bourbon to a malt that I have tried (except Woodstone, but I'll get there in a bit). It is not as expensive as Talisker. Someone else suggested trying a rye whiskey. I agree with that. I'd suggest Rittenhouse rye, Wild Turkey rye, Russell's Reserve (made by WT), or Bulleit as good inexpensive ryes. Wooodstone bourbon is expensive but it's mashbill is 51% corn and 49% malt. You may have trouble believing you're drinking bourbon. A more typical mashbill might be 70% corn, 25% rye, and 5% malt. That's why a lot of people on this site don't like it. Keep us posted on how you're progressing.

Robmo
03-23-2011, 08:12
dnec, I don't give much thought as to whether one whisky is better than another, rather I prefer to explore their differences.

Like that way of thinking.

tehbeardman
03-24-2011, 17:21
There is a big difference between BT and WT 101. I drink a lot of WT 101 but like to have BT on hand as well. Which one is better is a matter of taste. It's like saying which is better blondes or brunettes or redheads or girls with big boobs or little boobs.........

So which one of those is WT :skep: ?

ebo
03-25-2011, 19:39
So which one of those is WT :skep: ?
hmmm....... I would think blondes, brunettes or red heads with BIG boobs would be the right asnswer. :grin: