PDA

View Full Version : Abraham Bowman Rye - Barrel-Strength

jburlowski
03-19-2011, 13:49
From the Party Source. It's a private, single barrel, 9yr 10 mo old, and at barrel-proof of 68.2% ABV.

Cinnamon and licorice and brown sugar… and a hint of chocolate. A little oak that comes across as rye toast. Rich, with great mouth feel. Also some spearmint notes flitting around the background.

If you like kick-ass, in-your-face rye --- you’ll love this. This is something to slowly savor.

cigarnv
03-19-2011, 14:01
This was a very nice find John....

OscarV
03-19-2011, 14:06
This was a very nice find John....

Hear hear!!!

cowdery
03-19-2011, 15:18
This is, I believe, the first reported sighting outside of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Jay does it again.

B.B. Babington
03-20-2011, 15:49
I'm glad to see this Bowman product outside of Virginia. This bodes well for the longevity of that project. I need to look at the shelves again to try to find barrel strength - I'd jump on that in a heart beat. I think all the Abraham Bowman Rye I've seen was 90 proof.

hectic1
03-20-2011, 16:19
I grabbed a couple of these to try...I can't wait to give it a go! :cool:

autiger23
03-21-2011, 19:18
Would love to hear more from other's on this, this is the first time ive seen this Rye and Distillery. I am a big Thomas H Handy fan, how does it stack up to that and its power.

jburlowski
03-22-2011, 16:01
Same Sazerac mash bill as the THH. More age, and to my taste, more complexity.

squire
03-22-2011, 16:55
As a Rye fan this is very appealing.

B.B. Babington
03-22-2011, 18:16
Same Sazerac mash bill as the THH. More age, and to my taste, more complexity.
I've only had the 90 proof, but felt it more complex than Handy. Reminds me more of Saz 18 than Handy. But I've not taken it head to head with either one. I pulled a bottle and judging by the printed distilled/bottled dates it's eleven or eleven and half years in wood.

autiger23
03-23-2011, 10:06
How come I can't find a dang thing anywhere searching on google for the 136 proof bottle. Everything is 90 proof.

Is party source the only one to get this version or something?

birdman1099
03-23-2011, 10:14
Is party source the only one to get this version or something?

Yes.... It is a Party Source release only.... And probably will not be done again...

autiger23
03-24-2011, 11:26
Yes.... It is a Party Source release only.... And probably will not be done again...

I ended up getting in contact with Jay yesterday and he is a very nice guy and helped out a ton with different bourbons including this one he selected. It sounds like a rye whiskey I cannot let go, will be purchasing after I hear from him on another bourbon.

HP12
03-27-2011, 15:49
Just picked up a bottle of this last week. Haven't cracked it yet but I believe this is a special bottle(s) to have in the bunker.

G.H.Adams
03-27-2011, 20:11
Mine is due to arrive on the 29th via Fed Ex. Looking forward to it.:grin:

autiger23
03-27-2011, 21:32
Mine is due to arrive on the 29th via Fed Ex. Looking forward to it.:grin:

Please let me know asap on what you think. I would really appreciate, hesitant to pay $70 for this bottle without any reviews or knowledge of notes and real power. Thanks!

cowdery
03-28-2011, 13:58
Funny that when this was released in Virginia only about a year ago there wasn't much excitement about it. Now it seems like the hot, new thing.

OscarV
03-28-2011, 14:36
Funny that when this was released in Virginia only about a year ago there wasn't much excitement about it. Now it seems like the hot, new thing.

That was 90prf, this is barrel prf.

squire
03-28-2011, 16:25
It only takes a spark to set a fire, look what Frank Sinatra did for Jack Daniels.

autiger23
03-28-2011, 19:44
That was 90prf, this is barrel prf.

Bingo, never had the 90proof so I can't compare this to anything. That being said though, I am a big barrel proof type and while I have not yet pulled the trigger and it is hard for me on a random $70 bottle I am all about taking the plunge. Just waiting for that review or two on here from fellow members.

G.H.Adams
03-29-2011, 20:20
Well my bottle arrived today. I have never tried to look into a bourbon or rye anymore than I like the flavor so bear with me.

Nose: Spice
Palate: I get some cinnamon,leather, and some mint. Never gotten a mint flavor from a rye before.
Finish: Nice and long to me.

I am glad I have this in my collection and someone more experienced will probably give everyone better tasting notes. On the question of is it worth it, it is to me.:grin:

autiger23
03-30-2011, 13:14
Well my bottle arrived today. I have never tried to look into a bourbon or rye anymore than I like the flavor so bear with me.

Nose: Spice
Palate: I get some cinnamon,leather, and some mint. Never gotten a mint flavor from a rye before.
Finish: Nice and long to me.

I am glad I have this in my collection and someone more experienced will probably give everyone better tasting notes. On the question of is it worth it, it is to me.:grin:

How was the power of the proof? Smooth at all or pretty powerful totally through? Did you drink it neat or water it down to a little lower proof? Just seeing if its right up there with the stout of a Handy even though older, just wanted to see that comparison also.

G.H.Adams
03-30-2011, 21:21
I have never had Handy as I live in a bourbon and rye wasteland. As for the Bowman Rye I found it had a real good kick concerning the proof, as in you knew you had a drink in hand. I tried it neat to start but decided I liked it better with one cube of ice. Sorry this is probably not much help.

sailor22
03-31-2011, 04:42
Tried some last night and also got the mint when sipped neat, but also a little too much heat. Some water and a few min. and it opened up nicely with layers of sweetness emerging along with some fruity mint.

autiger23
03-31-2011, 06:50
Tried some last night and also got the mint when sipped neat, but also a little too much heat. Some water and a few min. and it opened up nicely with layers of sweetness emerging along with some fruity mint.

Were you pretty impressed? You feel like it was worth the price?

Its a rarity to see a whiskey like this on the market with a first time private bottling, with getting a couple parker heritage bottles im just wondering if I should stick with another bottle of that or take a chance here.

sailor22
04-01-2011, 07:10
Were you pretty impressed? You feel like it was worth the price?

Not so much neat but It was much better with water.
If you like your Rye with a generous helping of wood like Vintage 21, 23 or Saz 18 BMH 23, Ritt 21 etc or luscious and sweet without any burn like HW21 then this might not be your cup of tea.
Closer to Handy in character but with a fruiter flavor set relative to Handy's spice. It's a BIG Rye with a distinctive flavor set and some cachet for it's limited availability, I would say it's as accomplished as Handy but different and retailing at about the same price - wether it's worth the $ is your call.

autiger23
04-01-2011, 12:52
I really love Handy, I have a half bottle left of my first 2010 and another in the bunker. A little young for me which is why I thought I would like this a little more. I have a bottle of Saz18, its alright just a little too mellow for me taste.

Having a hard time finishing the order, for $25 shipping, I need a couple more in the cart to make that worth while too. Jay said I would like it a lot if I liked the Handy, it being 4 more years older roughly I think its being more favorable for my taste....ahhh.

RyanL
04-02-2011, 06:34
Im personally a wheated bourbon fan. I did really like Handy, but I absolutely hated Saz 18 this year...as in I wouldnt pick up a bottle if i saw it for $20. Any thoughts or opinions on this one considering those facts?

Rughi
04-02-2011, 09:43
Im personally a wheated bourbon fan. I did really like Handy, but I absolutely hated Saz 18 this year...as in I wouldnt pick up a bottle if i saw it for $20. Any thoughts or opinions on this one considering those facts?

Bowman has a strong family resemblance with Handy in the nose, palate and finish. It drinks as another expression of the same type of rye.

Saz Jr., Handy and Bowman are blood relatives.
Saz 18 is an elderly in-law.

autiger23
04-10-2011, 20:06
Any others out there get a bottle, comments?

Placing order mid week before they run out.

HP12
04-11-2011, 08:01

I have made tasting notes here if interested --->

http://www.connosr.com/reviews/a-smith-bowman/abraham-bowman-virginia-limited-edition-rye/power-loaded-flavor-explosion/

I really enjoy this whiskey and have a few extras in the bunker. My advice to anyone on the fence who is considering buying a bottle, don't wait too long.

autiger23
04-11-2011, 13:44
I have made tasting notes here if interested --->

http://www.connosr.com/reviews/a-smith-bowman/abraham-bowman-virginia-limited-edition-rye/power-loaded-flavor-explosion/

I really enjoy this whiskey and have a few extras in the bunker. My advice to anyone on the fence who is considering buying a bottle, don't wait too long.

So you ended up getting a handful of bottles?

HP12
04-11-2011, 15:42
So you ended up getting a handful of bottles?

Got one bottle to see if I would like it while making an order of some other whiskey's shortly after AB LTD was available. I liked it and ordered additional for the bunker.

jburlowski
04-11-2011, 18:15

Either pull the trigger... or don't. :smiley_acbt:

Rughi
04-13-2011, 07:58

Have they arrived yet?
What are your tasting notes?
Comments?

BourbonJoe
04-13-2011, 11:22
Fricky bought a bottle and let me have a taste. This was quite good and ranked up there with the Handys, Sazeracs and even the 22 y/o COK's. Sorry I cannot be more specific but it was only a taste. I like it.
Joe :usflag:

HP12
04-15-2011, 11:39
If you haven't ordered it, it may be too late. As of this afternoon today, inventory shows "out of stock". This morning they had 24 bottles listed last time I checked around 9 or 10 AM. Now, zero left. I hope those who wanted a bottle secured same.

nivto
04-16-2011, 18:23
I have gotten word that there will be a second barrel pick of Abraham Bowman Rye that will again be bottled at barrel strength. It sounds like the barrel has already been picked, so keep your eyes peeled in the somewhat near future. It is exciting that there is more of this to look forward to.

G.H.Adams
04-16-2011, 20:12
Sounds good to me as I am enjoying the first batch slowly.

HP12
04-16-2011, 20:19
I have gotten word that there will be a second barrel pick of Abraham Bowman Rye that will again be bottled at barrel strength. It sounds like the barrel has already been picked, so keep your eyes peeled in the somewhat near future. It is exciting that there is more of this to look forward to.

Similar sources say that you are correct.

RyanL
05-08-2011, 01:28

Even better news for those looking forward to this. I was told they have picked out not just 1 but 2 more barrels to be bottled at cask strength. Unfortunately no info on when they will get them in but he did say they were both picked out and in process. Until then I will just have to wait anxiously.

G.H.Adams
05-08-2011, 20:26
I hope it's not a long wait. I am savoring my 1st edition bottle slowly but the level keeps dropping. Hope it's released before I finish my bottle.

HP12
05-09-2011, 07:51
I hope it's not a long wait. I am savoring my 1st edition bottle slowly but the level keeps dropping. Hope it's released before I finish my bottle.

I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat.

timd
05-09-2011, 09:03
I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat.
I never got one... Missed it by a day.

Looking forward to the release of more! Thanks for the updates.

nor02lei
05-13-2011, 04:03
Is there anybody that has some confirmation on whether this rye bottle is distilled a third time at Bowmanís and/or stored there the whole or part of the time?

Leif

HP12
05-13-2011, 05:08
Is there anybody that has some confirmation on whether this rye bottle is distilled a third time at Bowman’s and/or stored there the whole or part of the time?

Leif

From what I have read within the BT/Saz and A.Smith Bowman websites as well as within various forum threads and/or blogs, it is my understanding that the spirit was initially distilled twice in KY, transported by tanker to A. Smith Bowman in VA where it will remain for the rest of the process as it is distilled a third time, barreled, aged and bottled.

jburlowski
07-19-2011, 14:46
A heads up for those of you that may have missed it on the first go-around: The Party Source has another bottling of the barrel-strength Bowman rye on the shelves.

It's not listed on their website yet so those ordering by mail will have to call. If you do order, make sure you specify the Barrel-proof version --- they also carry the standard-issue 90 proof.

HP12
07-30-2011, 18:04
A heads up for those of you that may have missed it on the first go-around: The Party Source has another bottling of the barrel-strength Bowman rye on the shelves.

It's not listed on their website yet so those ordering by mail will have to call. If you do order, make sure you specify the Barrel-proof version --- they also carry the standard-issue 90 proof.

Thanks for the heads-up! Barrel #2 is in fact on the shelf and going fast. Limit two bottles.

HP12
08-02-2011, 12:46
For the record, Abraham Bowman Limited Edition Virginia Rye Barrel Strength -

TPS Private Barrel #1 - Distilled 3/14/01 - Bottled 2/01/11 @ 136.4 prf

TPS Private Barrel #2 - Distilled 3/14/01 - Bottled 5/13/11 @ 138.8 prf

TPS Private Barrel #3 - ?

This stuff is good! "Smoke 'em if you got 'em".

BradleyC
08-03-2011, 18:08
TPS Private Barrel #3 - ?

Does this mean they will be doing a 3rd barrel?

HP12
08-03-2011, 19:07
Does this mean they will be doing a 3rd barrel?

Yes, already picked out. From what I'm being told, #3 will likely be the last one for quite some time.

HP12
08-17-2011, 11:47
Here is a thread with additional information about the TPS offerings of AB.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16128&page=29&highlight=What+bourbon

There are a total three (3) TPS barrels of AB barrel strength rye.

Barrel #1 was the first batch released and is long gone. Barrel #3 is the second batch released and is currently for sale. Barrel #2 will be the 3rd batch released.