PDA

View Full Version : I just joined up here

bgast1
03-24-2011, 11:42
Hi, I just joined up here. I just recently developed a taste for whiskey after finding a bottle of Canadian Club in the cabinet and an episode of Modern Marvels on whiskey distilling. I have had Jack Daniels and other whiskeys in the past but never really bothered to taste the nuances if flavor.

My first Bourbon and I have maybe just a shot left is Maker's Mark. However Maker's Mark is just a bit pricey for me for an everyday or every other day drink. My late father in law drank 10 High for everyday drink and Wild Turkey for special occasions.

I was wondering if you all could give me some tips as to what is a good brand for everyday consumption and just how much it differs from the premium brands.

I also don't believe that I want to be limited to just bourbon. I would like to venture, I think into the Scotch world as well. I think I would like to try a more smoky type scotch.

Please forgive my ignorance, I really don't know much about whiskey and was surprised to find that it is much more than walking up in a saloon and saying "whiskey"

Bob

OscarV
03-24-2011, 11:54
If you are looking for low priced bourbons go with Evan Williams (on the rocks) and WLWeller Special Reserve (neat).

tehbeardman
03-24-2011, 13:01
Hi bob. I posted on your other post as well, but lets just go with this one. There is a wide age range here on the forum, so no worries.

Makers Mark is a pretty popular 'entry' bourbon. Like what was already suggested, Old Weller Special Reserve would be a similar and much better value compared to Makers.

bgast1
03-24-2011, 13:30
Hi thanks, I agree lets just go with this one. It got moved from the other area. I will look for the Old Weller Special Reserve next time that I have some money to spend on bourbon. I have seen the Evan Williams, I think even at Walmart but not sure.

Just curious. Is Ten High any good at all? I think the last time I had it, it was a Hiram Walker product. I believe Evan Williams is in the same price range.

squire
03-24-2011, 14:53
Hi Bob, welcome aboard. You are just a couple years my junior and I don't consider myself old at all. To start I don't believe one need pay a lot of money to get a good drink. It's true some of the whiskys often talked about here cost as much per bottle as a case of Ten High (a few as much as two cases) but that doesn't make them ten times better or anything like that. All hobby boards tend to favor the high end stuff be it whisky or audio equipment.

I think the Heaven Hill brand Evan Williams is a good place to start. It's a solid, traditional Bourbon that is very consistent, hitting the right notes without costing a lot. Heaven Hill offers other brands that are variations on the main theme without being expensive either, and small bottles offer an opportunity to taste more without spending too much.

Posting notes here is like having a drink with friends so let us know what you think as you sample along.

bgast1
03-24-2011, 16:04
Squire, I noticed that you are in Jackson, MS. Back in 1974 I went to Aviation Supply A School at Meridian Naval Air Station. Knowing the Navy that base is probably no longer in existence. If I recall, Jackson was very small back then.

craigthom
03-24-2011, 16:17
Was Ten High ever any good? I've got a bottle made in Peoria I picked up mainly as a novelty (mainstream bourbon not made in Kentucky), but I haven't opened it yet. It looks pretty light.

Parkersback
03-24-2011, 16:44
Hello Bob. My 2 cents is that the search engine is one of your best friends on this board. You asked about everyday pours. Typing "everyday" into the advanced search engine gets you these 4 threads, all dedicated to the question of everyday pours.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1023084

Or say you walk by a bourbon you've never heard of in the store. Note the name, come home and type it in the search engine and you'll get lots of threads. As you read, you'll hear about the name of another bourbon, which will lead you to learn about a particular style of bourbon (what's a wheater?) which might lead you to learn how a particular whiskey has changed as companies have bought and sold it (the devolution of Old Crow). Next thing you know you'll find yourself standing on tip toe in a crappy liquor store in a lousy part of town, trying to see through the bulletproof glass looking for something called "Centennial."

Or maybe not. Maybe you'll just browse around and learn what you want to learn and leave the rest, and that'll be great, too.

squire
03-24-2011, 18:02
Still there Bob, in fact the Meridian Naval Station is now the largest in the Nation for the training of Naval Pilots. The son of one of my Vietnam comrades graduated from there a few years back.

squire
03-24-2011, 18:10
Craig, yes and no. Ten High is a respectable brand that manages to stay on the radar by being just good enough yet was major brand much higher up in the Bourbon hierarchy some years back.

TNbourbon
03-24-2011, 18:19
My household 'well' bourbon has become the Jim Beam-produced Old Crow Reserve (black label). It is 4yo and 86 proof, NOT to be confused with the execrable Old Crow white label, which is Beam's imitation of a death wish.
The 'Reserve' has some significant flavor -- and, thus, can be consumed enjoyably 'neat' -- but is absolutely perfect, at the $18.99 per 1.75L bottle, for kitchen and mixing use.
An anecdotal aside:
I work part-time at a local liquor store, and have been pitching this bourbon for several months to customers who routinely buy either JB 4yo or white-label 7yo/86 (it's significantly cheaper than either), or are just looking for general-purpose bourbon/whiskey. We've been regularly buying the 750ml and/or 1.75L sizes weekly in case volume because of return sales. People buy it again once tried.

squire
03-24-2011, 18:27
Tim can constrain himself only so long before blurting out the truth, which is, you don't have to pay much to get a very satisfactory Bourbon.

TNbourbon
03-24-2011, 18:32
Tim can constrain himself only so long before blurting out the truth, which is, you don't have to pay much to get a very satisfactory Bourbon.
True that, Squire -- and ain't it a grand thing:bowdown:? Especially since you CAN pay more and get even GRANDER!

bgast1
03-30-2011, 21:26
Just bought a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 tonight and I am enjoying it very much. How does Wild Turkey stack up against Makers Mark? Is Wild Turkey considered to be a special occasion type Bourbon? I know it was with my father in law but then he drank Ten High everyday and Wild Turkey was his special occasion drink. Me, I have a lot more expensive tastes but < beer budget.:slappin:

tehbeardman
03-31-2011, 03:59
I'd say that Makers and WT101 aren not similar at all. WT has a rye forward in your face sweet and spiciness, while Makers is a wheat recipe that doesn't offer as much complexity in taste.

In many markets, a 750ml bottle of WT can be found for <$20 which makes it one of (in my opinion) best values in all of bourbon. I know in my area Walmart has it right at 20 every day. I can find a 1.75L bottle of it for about $40. There are several people around the forum that have WT in the everyday rotation (I'm one of them).

But as others have said, don't worry so much about what other people do. Feel free to ask for advice, but the goal is that you should do whatever makes you happy and tastes good :grin:

p_elliott
03-31-2011, 06:52
First off welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy yourself here. Ask all the questions you like. Try to make it into chat some time it's the gazebo at the top of the main forum page.

I think Andy answered your question about the difference between MM and WT 101 but just a few thoughts on WT 101. WT 101 is my daily pour it in my mind is what bourbon should be. I should think if you looked the word bourbon up in the dictionary there would be a picture of Wild Turkey 101. There are better bourbons and there are more expensive bourbons but there is not a better bourbon at this price and level IMHO. Now is time for Fishnbowljoe to post and say the same thing about Weller.

Inthewater
03-31-2011, 07:14
Hey, welcome to the club. Luckily, I have 25 years to tie your on the age, so hopefully I will REALLY know a lot about bourbon by then.

Probably not, though.

Anyway, I also really enjoy WT101. What made me giggle is that you ask if it is a "special occasion" bourbon, and that is funny because almost every time I order some at a pub, the people in there look at me like I just ordered some Beam 8 Star neat, or maybe a "mat shot".

Anyway, enjoy, as I have learned from the many great, knowledgable folks here, it's about if YOU like it and if YOU think it tastes good.

Not about what it costs or what others say.

Also, if you have anywhere around that does a lot of bourbon in a bar setting, it is pretty fun to go and try stuff that you'd not likely drop the cash on (like the day I spent some un-godly amout trying ORVW and even a PVW or two). It is pricey, but you get to taste a lot of stuff for the price of 1 bottle of "the good stuff".

:grin:

Inthewater
03-31-2011, 07:18
http://www.examiner.com/bartender-in-national/bartending-101-what-s-a-mat-shot

Just for anyone that doesn't know what a "mat shot" is.

:slappin:

p_elliott
03-31-2011, 07:53
http://www.examiner.com/bartender-in-national/bartending-101-what-s-a-mat-shot

Just for anyone that doesn't know what a "mat shot" is.

:slappin:

That's just sick :slappin:

tehbeardman
03-31-2011, 17:11
...WT 101 is my daily pour it in my mind is what bourbon should be. I should think if you looked the word bourbon up in the dictionary there would be a picture of Wild Turkey 101. There are better bourbons and there are more expensive bourbons but there is not a better bourbon at this price and level IMHO....

:pope: :pope: :pope:

bgast1
03-31-2011, 22:53
Thanks for the replies on the Wild Turkey. I haven't found Weller in the liquor store by my house. I'm in Round Lake Beach, Il (half hour from the Wisconsin border) probably 50 miles north of Chicago. Maybe next week I can locate some at another liquor store. I think I might also want to give Buffalo Trace a try too.

But before any of that I am going to go get a bottle of the Evan Williams and save this Wild Turkey so that it will hopefully last a little longer than the few days it took me to go through the bottle of Makers Mark and another bottle of Jameson. This hobby of mine can get expensive. Before long I'll have to drop down to Ten High.:slappin: or mat shots. Actually I rarely go to a bar and rarely order a drink when I go out to dinner with my wife either.