PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new to bourbon

bgast1
03-24-2011, 11:50
I just posted in the wrong area to get started. I posted in General bourbon area. Moderators please move it if you feel so inclined. Either way I will be doing a lot of reading here. Great forum you have here. It's taken me 30 years to all of the sudden develop a taste for whiskey. I'll turn 60 in a couple of months.

Bob

tehbeardman
03-24-2011, 12:47
Welcome Bob. We have a wide age range here, so no worries. I am on the younger end, but no worries, we all like whisk(e)y. What kind of bourbon have you enjoyed thus far?

bgast1
03-24-2011, 13:10
So far just Maker's Mark. I've had Jack Daniels, Gentleman Jack, Wild Turkey, Ten High but never bothered to taste them or really enjoy them. In my other post, I mentioned also wanting to branch out a bit and try some Scotch. I just picked up a miniature of Famous Grouse 12 year.

I am probably certain that my taste will outweigh my budget which is probably in the Ten High range. Unless, perhaps I can buy the more expensive (supposedly better?) brands in smaller bottles.

I do have a question on Maker's Mark. Is it a good bourbon? I have read so many mixed reviews that I don't know what to think. Although ultimately it is me who decides I have nothing to measure it up against. For instance is it better than Jack Daniels No. 7 (I know it isn't a bourbon) or Jim Beam white label, but maybe not as good as Wild Turkey 101 proof?

By the way, I have enjoyed that bottle that has maybe just a shot left. Maybe too much, I expected it to last longer.:lol:

I have been drinking it on the rocks, sometimes with a little water, sometimes with a lot of water. Boy does it go down easy with a lot of water. Are there any other suggestions. I don't know if I am ready to drink it neat yet.

sailor22
03-24-2011, 17:57
Don't worry about what is supposed to be good. Drink what you enjoy the way you enjoy it. Use other peoples opinions as reference points for what you might want to try next or how you might want to try it. Keep and open mind and a receptive palate and you will thoroughly enjoy your adventures in Bourbon Land. You will learn a lot along the way.

TNbourbon
03-24-2011, 18:28
...I mentioned also wanting to branch out a bit and try some Scotch. I just picked up a miniature of Famous Grouse 12 year...
Famous Grouse, the best-selling Scotch blended whisky in Scotland itself, is an excellent, always-handy drink, and a great price/value play in the 1.75L size domestically (at least, here in Tennesse, where it is c. $30).
I reconcile Maker's Mark alongside Jack Daniel's -- acceptably drinkable, but a bit price-y for what it is. In the case of JD, the standard bottling is 4-5 years old and 80 proof -- a combo I can easily beat many times, vis a vis price, in the bourbon category. Maker's, too, is very enjoyable bourbon, but youngish at c. 6 years old, and thus lacks a refined finish I might expect for its mid-premium price. It just kind of quits on you, leaving you wishing for more (try the MM 46 bottling).

White Dog
03-24-2011, 19:58
MM is good bourbon if you like it. But if you do like MM, start trying Weller.:cool:

p_elliott
03-25-2011, 10:39
What Sailor said drink your bourbon how you like it as long as it's not with grape Kool-aid we draw the line there. :slappin: Makers Mark is fine bourbon but like White Dog said you may enjoy the Weller line better. I like My Wild Turkey 101 too just goes down so well. Enjoy your time here come join us in in chat it's the gazebo on the top of the main forum page we won't bite. You'll have a good time and will make some new friends.

CorvallisCracker
03-25-2011, 11:25
It's taken me 30 years to all of the sudden develop a taste for whiskey. I'll turn 60 in a couple of months.

Better late than never!

What Sailor said drink your bourbon how you like it as long as it's not with grape Kool-aid we draw the line there. :slappin:

Wow. That just triggered a memory.

In 1978 I started my first job, as a statistician/programmer in a division of the Florida DOT. For the office Christmas party I offered to supply the punch, planning on using my mother's very popular recipe. This used cranberry juice, apple juice and apricot brandy, along with (optionally) vodka.

Bob, if you've been lurking long you may have noticed I have a somewhat quirky sense of humor. This manifested itself at that time in the decision to have the punch reflect a certain Current Event, so part of the preparation involved food coloring, along with a Time magazine cover for reference.

So the day of the party I bought in three gallons of "Jim Jones Jungle Juice". Two were subtitled "Unleaded", using 30 proof apricot brandy and no vodka. ABV on that version was 1.5%. The other gallon was sutbtitled "High Test", used 70 proof apricot brandy and vodka and had an ABV of about 10%.

FDOT in those days was very much a Good Old Boys outfit, and it didn't surprise me to see the division director and the other senior managers going for the High Test.

Thus I was surprised when, about 45 minutes after the party started, the director's secretary informed me that he'd like to see me in his office. I went in there, where there was a mostly empty bottle of Wild Turkey on his desk. He and the other guys looked pretty blitzed.

"Scott...was there alcohol in that punch?"

"Yes there was," I replied. "What do you think 'High Test' meant?"

"Ummm...more flavoring?"

I couldn't help but laugh. I pointed out that with it being only two PM they should have time to sober up, but I offered a ride home to anyone who thought they might need it. Fortunately no one did.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread, Bob, but Paul's post brought this back to me and I wanted to share it before it slipped away again.

Welcome to SB.com!

bgast1
03-25-2011, 12:01
Great story. I always love a good story.

CorvallisCracker
03-25-2011, 12:53
Great story. I always love a good story.

True too, except that I don't actually recall the brand of bourbon. I made it WT just to squick Paul. :lol:

Added via edit:

and in case it wasn't clear, yes, they were mixing the bourbon with the punch.

Robmo
03-29-2011, 09:21
I do have a question on Maker's Mark. Is it a good bourbon? I have read so many mixed reviews that I don't know what to think. Although ultimately it is me who decides I have nothing to measure it up against. Are there any other suggestions. I don't know if I am ready to drink it neat yet.

Welcome aboard! I'm new to this board too, I agree with the idea that you need to decide for yourself what you you like and don't like. The best thing to do, in my humble opinion, is to go out and stock up on mini-bottles and small pint-size bottles. Get a variety of different things and have fun with it. That applies equally to Bourbon and Scotch I think.

Sipping it neat is a bit like taking off the training wheels. A lot of the connoisseurs say you have to drink it neat to truly appreciate bourbon, I say try it and enjoy it in a variety of ways according to your mood or the moment. Again, welcome.

bgast1
03-30-2011, 20:03
Just picked up some Wild Turkey 101. I am sipping it and enjoying it. I might save this for special occasions and pick up some Evan Williams. Didn't see any of the other brands mentioned here at the liquor store although I did see some very pricey brands.

I also am looking to try a scotch which is supposed to have a more smoky flavor.

bgast1
04-02-2011, 11:48
So far, I only want to stay with Whiskey. My shelf only has 3 offerings right now. All bottles are 3/4 full except the Scotch which only has one drink out of it. I am broke and unemployed but had a bit of money I wanted to spend on Whiskey. I suppose that I have enough money for one more bottle of inexpensive whiskey or a smaller bottle of more expensive whiskey.

My shelf consists of Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey 101, a Laphroiag scotch. I would like a recommendation for something either scotch or bourbon that I could serve on a daily basis without breaking the bank yet is still high quality. Perhaps a more neutral scotch?

Inthewater
04-04-2011, 11:54
Yeah, you don't get much more "non-neutral" for scotch than Laphroaig.

It tastes like chewing on a piece of burnt charcoal. I actually like it (in small doses) but it is very "aquired".

Not a huge scotch guy, but I do like to dabble. I have found the Highland Park stuff to be pretty tasty.

The problem is, it is so expensive. Just not for me, I guess.

Brisko
04-04-2011, 12:30
Really?

I can get HP 12 for around $30 up here. Of course, some stores sell it for $50, so you gotta watch out.

bgast1, I may have recommended Old Forester before... I think both the 100 and the 86 proof are decent. I prefer the 100. Evan Williams is a pretty solid value choice, too.

Inthewater
04-04-2011, 12:41
Brisko - Not saying there aren't good buys out there for Scotch, saying that over all, they seem to be a little overpriced. Of course, I am not a huge fan, either, so take that for what it's worth.

:)

squire
04-04-2011, 15:33
Just the nature of things, one good Scotch cost as much as two good Bourbons for as long as I can remember.

Inthewater
04-05-2011, 05:55
Which is one of many reasons why I prefer bourbon, Sir.

:D

bgast1
04-08-2011, 11:26
Yeah I hear you both on the price of scotch. I can't really decide which I like more. Scotch or Bourbon. I have 3 kinds of Scotch now. Grant's Family Reserve, Laphroiag, and Glenmorangie.

For Bourbon I have Wild Turkey 101 and Buffalo Trace.

Now trying to decide what to buy next. Evan Williams this only cost about $11.00, or Knob Creek. I would like to find Weller but haven't seen it. I kind of liked the Maker's Mark. I wonder if the next level up in Maker's Mark is that much better? I could also go with Johnny Walker Black or Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. I still want a Speyside scotch to add to the shelf as well. Or I could go with an Irish or Canadian Whiskey. However it will probably go very fast. A bottle of Jameson only lasted 2 days.

I have graduated to enjoying all of the above neat, or a couple drops of water to the scotch. I drank Wild Turkey last night neat and also with just a couple of drops of water. What I don't seem to understand though is that the Glenmorangie seemed to have more burn than the Wild Turkey despite the 101 proof.

Another question that I don't seem to understand as well. I seem to get drunk a lot quicker with beer or so it seems than with whisky. Or maybe because one feels different than the other. I do not enjoy a whiskey hangover though, so I don't like to drink so much as to get drunk, but sometimes it tastes so good that I can't help myself.:slappin:

Brisko
04-08-2011, 11:55
Another question that I don't seem to understand as well. I seem to get drunk a lot quicker with beer or so it seems than with whisky. Or maybe because one feels different than the other. I do not enjoy a whiskey hangover though, so I don't like to drink so much as to get drunk, but sometimes it tastes so good that I can't help myself.:slappin:

Beer gets absorbed relatively quickly, by the stomach lining, whereas a lot of the alcohol in whiskey doesn't get absorbed until it gets past the stomach.

Basically, any high proof spirit will have a similar action; it is your body's way of trying to protect itself. With low-alcohol beverages like beer, it gets fooled and absorbs it quickly. (If memory serves, the cutoff is in the 10 to 20% abv range). Two other factors that increase absorption are carbonation and sweet/sour flavor combinations. This is why champagne is known to "go straight to the head," and why 2 oz of bourbon mixed in a long drink with ginger ale hits you quicker than 2 oz sipped neat over the same period of time.