PDA

View Full Version : What Beer are you drinking spring 2011

HipFlask
03-24-2011, 16:19
So I found a brew pub in town that has cask conditioned beers. Yummy this is how all beer should be! Rock Bottom Brewery's CC Porter is outstanding. Any rate in the frig I've got some Three Floyds Scottish Ale and some Guinness left over from st paddy's. The strong stout. But enough about me, What are you drinking?

roostercogburn
03-24-2011, 17:56
First try of the Guinness Foreign Extra. A step up from the normal Extra Stout, but not as good as the 250th Anniversary Stout.

ebo
03-24-2011, 18:37
I'm drinking Great Lakes Nosferatu Ale at the moment. 8% abv. Tasty stuff!

yourchoice
03-24-2011, 20:46
Flying Fish Exit 9 Hoppy Scarlet Ale last night
DFH Aprihop tonight

DeanSheen
03-24-2011, 21:46
So I found a brew pub in town that has cask conditioned beers.

Great news. Thankfully we have one here as well. Whats really fun is when they get in the same thing on cask and tap so you can compare the two.

I just stocked up on a seasonal from 21st Amendment Brewery called Bitter American. It's a fantastic session beer and a shame that it's not a year round offering. At least I have 2 cases so I can enjoy it for a little while longer.

http://www.21st-amendment.com/beer/bitter-american

JohnInKY
03-24-2011, 22:38
Kentucky Bourbon Ale hard to find but worth it

cigarnv
03-25-2011, 05:22
Flying Dog Double Dog Ale.... big, chewy, malty and packed with flavor. One of the best I have had from Flying Dog. I think this may be a limited edition release for them.

nor02lei
03-25-2011, 05:57
Flying Dog Double Dog Ale.... big, chewy, malty and packed with flavor. One of the best I have had from Flying Dog. I think this may be a limited edition release for them.

I drought that it is a limited edition Reid. I have seen it and had it many times here in Sweden.

Leif

cigarnv
03-25-2011, 14:49
I drought that it is a limited edition Reid. I have seen it and had it many times here in Sweden.

Leif

Leif, in the past it has been a special release but they have recently made it a part of their regular line up. I wonder if it was just a special release in the US but regular production for export. In any case It is good to know it will be around. Thanks for the heads up!!

nivto
03-25-2011, 15:38
Left Hand Milk Stout on draft ... very nice.

cigarnv
03-25-2011, 16:05

My favorite milk stout....

nivto
03-26-2011, 16:55

It is a great beer. I used to drink it a lot when I lived up north, but for some reason it is not available in Tallahassee. I like it so much that I had another glass of it at Yeah! Burger today before heading home from Atlanta. I don't know which was better, the beer or the burger. Both really hit the spot :grin:

Barrel_Proof
03-27-2011, 17:36
Nothing complicated -- just a thoroughly acceptable Harpoon IPA purchased at Kroger's in Nashville on Monday!

jcg9779
03-28-2011, 07:58
It is a great beer. I used to drink it a lot when I lived up north, but for some reason it is not available in Tallahassee. I like it so much that I had another glass of it at Yeah! Burger today before heading home from Atlanta. I don't know which was better, the beer or the burger. Both really hit the spot :grin:

Yeah! Burger does have some great burgers.....I haven't been there since the fall....i might need to swing by this weekend!

nivto
03-28-2011, 09:45
Yeah! Burger does have some great burgers.....I haven't been there since the fall....i might need to swing by this weekend!

Not to mention they have High West Rendevous, ORVW 10/107 and Lot B available in case you like a little juice with your burgers!

jcg9779
03-28-2011, 11:19
Not to mention they have High West Rendevous, ORVW 10/107 and Lot B available in case you like a little juice with your burgers!

That's some good information to know! I do generally drink beer with my burgers, but might need to have an after burger drink...

Picked up a four pack of this today - I've had Flying Dog before, but it's been a while.

Picked up a six pack of this - I've never tried it before.

unclebunk
03-28-2011, 11:50
Still working my way through the Sam Adams mixed twelve pack collection. Really enjoyed the Revolutionary Rye and knocked off the White Ale last night. Good stuff!

cigarnv
03-29-2011, 03:07
Last evening I had a Green Flash Hop Head Red which was more of an IPA then a red ale. Quite good but as IPA's go I would reach for a Nectar or Founders Double Trouble..

jcg9779
03-31-2011, 16:15

Drinking a Left Hand Milk Stout after the close of business at the end of a long first quarter. Thanks to nivto and cigarnv for pointing me to this one!

nivto
03-31-2011, 20:02
^^ Glad you enjoyed it!

I had a pour of my friend's Hopslam Clone tonight along with a Weyerbacher Insanity on draft. Bourbon barrel-aged barley wine. It was really delicious.

jcg9779
04-07-2011, 21:47
Drank some Stella today as I walked around underneath the tall Georgia pines at Augusta National. I usually like Stella, and the setting today made it that much more enjoyable!

cigarnv
04-08-2011, 01:58
Oskar Blues Gubna... excellent imperial IPA. Great balance between the hops and malt...

unclebunk
04-08-2011, 06:15
Belhaven Wee Heavy and Arcadia's Loch Down, a well-crafted Scotch ale that's worth seeking out. I really enjoy Arcadia's beers but can never seem to find their entire line of products here in Chicago, though the ones we do get are terrific (their London Porter and IPA are especially good).

Askabutcher
04-08-2011, 08:06
Drank some Stella today as I walked around underneath the tall Georgia pines at Augusta National. I usually like Stella, and the setting today made it that much more enjoyable!

I don't drink much beer (any more!!) but when I do, it's Stella. Occasionally will splurge on a Duvel or Chimay :p

craigthom
04-09-2011, 14:21
Belhaven Wee Heavy and Arcadia's Loch Down, a well-crafted Scotch ale that's worth seeking out. I really enjoy Arcadia's beers but can never seem to find their entire line of products here in Chicago, though the ones we do get are terrific (their London Porter and IPA are especially good).

Battle Creek isn't that far. Take an afternoon drive.

jcg9779
04-12-2011, 07:12
Had a Founder's Centennial IPA last night...very very tasty.

SBOmarc
04-12-2011, 16:26
Dogfish 60 min IPA. Yards IPA at Standard Tap in Philadelphia.

Will need to go back.

DeanSheen
04-12-2011, 18:06
Back in Black - Black IPA - 21st Amendment

bigman
04-13-2011, 00:04
Well, this spring I’m starting to change from Dogfish Head to other varieties, as it was announced that they were going to stop distributing Dogfish Head in my state, so I have been drinking Several offerings from Boulevard Brewing, like their Tank 7, and the Dark truth Stout, and the Double wide IPA. Also, I have been drinking Sierra Nevada, Pale Ale, Glissade Golden Bock, and Stone Brewing Company, Arrogant Bastard Ale, Double Bastard Ale. Three Floyds Brewing company Alpha King, have been my most recent, with the last few of my Midas Tough, and Palo Santo Maroon by dogfish head.

I have plans to get some of my local Peoples Brewing Company’s Offerings, and Sun King Brewing Co’s beers, and revisit the Lafayette Brewing Co’s lineup, to see if/how much my taste has changed. The only problem I’m having with these are timing and being able to get to them.

Too many beers too little time.

cigarnv
04-13-2011, 04:04
Founders Imperial stout last evening.... big, rich, black, chocolate and espresso.... another winner from this brew house...

ViperGlock
04-13-2011, 20:02
I'm drinking Killing Croc...I mean Rolling Rock! :grin:

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx146/StrategicTacticalAdvancedResistance/Album-ONE/KillingCroc.jpg

Seriously, I'm not drinking anything.

cigarnv
04-14-2011, 02:49
Yesterday I picked up a Mission Street Brown in a bomber from Trader Joe's. Great price at $1.99..... but I got what a paid for. The Mission Brown was decent but light on flavor and body.

unclebunk
04-14-2011, 06:46
I'm drinking Killing Croc...I mean Rolling Rock! :grin:

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx146/StrategicTacticalAdvancedResistance/Album-ONE/KillingCroc.jpg

Seriously, I'm not drinking anything.

I used to enjoy Rolling Rock on a hot summer day when out cutting the lawn or listening to a ballgame on the radio but I can't bring myself to buy it anymore now that AB moved the brewery out of Latrobe. I mean, the old brewery in PA wasn't having trouble producing enough to meet demand, so I never understood the move. I guess the fresh mountain spring water in Newark, NJ is better than in Latrobe.:skep:

SBOmarc
04-14-2011, 13:53
I too have had my share of Rolling Rock. I am glad that it is served from green bottles. Pouring into clear glass reveals one of the ugliest beers ever, no color at all.

SBOmarc
04-14-2011, 13:57
Yesterday I picked up a Mission Street Brown in a bomber from Trader Joe's. Great price at $1.99..... but I got what a paid for. The Mission Brown was decent but light on flavor and body.

Try the Mission Street Anniversary Ale from TJ's. It's a different story.

OscarV
04-14-2011, 14:09
Ok guys, here's some words of wisdom.

cigarnv
04-14-2011, 15:31

Marc, that is what I have been told... given it is a Firestone Walker brew it should be very good.... Not in our TJ's here yet....

craigthom
04-14-2011, 16:14
Ok guys, here's some words of wisdom.

Nice thought, but a beer would have to sell for about two bucks a six pack to be as cheap as gas, and I'm not going to drink any of that, even if I could find it.

craigthom
04-15-2011, 19:10
I love Wacky Packs.

Stone Ruination tonight from a bomber. It's better on tap, but most hoppy beers are.

This is sort of low in alcohol for a 2IPA (7.7). It's a little short on the hop nose, which happens in bottles, but it makes up for it by being ferociously bitter.

MarkEdwards
04-16-2011, 08:54
My local Majestic has a nice selection of imports that I can buy by the bottle.

I've discovered I like Samuel Smith's nut brown ale, and have so far been unimpressed with the two Scottish ales I tried.

But I will certainly be visiting them more frequently now that early summer has finally arrived.

steeltownbbq
04-16-2011, 16:12
Budweiser....stocked up with my brother-in-laws brands when he visited last week.... the Bud serves the purpose when you're thirsty and don't care if the beer has any flavor.

But what do I do with the Canadian Club? I can't bring myself to even think about drinking that.

nivto
04-16-2011, 18:25
Last night I had a pour of Great Divide's Yeti Imperial Stout, 9.50% ABV. Pours jet black and is a big bitter chocolate bomb. It's a thick pour with nice roasted malts, plenty of coffee and an earthiness in general to the taste that I like. It's not a perfect RIS, but it's a darn good example of one. Now if I could only find me some more oak aged yeti.

jcg9779
04-16-2011, 18:45

Looked for this today, but I don't think we carry it here in Georgia. I just saw the aforementioned Mission Street Brown Ale and decided to pass.

jcg9779
04-16-2011, 19:25
Founders Double Trouble earlier this evening

MarkEdwards
04-17-2011, 03:31
Last night I had a pour of Great Divide's Yeti Imperial Stout, 9.50% ABV. Pours jet black and is a big bitter chocolate bomb. It's a thick pour with nice roasted malts, plenty of coffee and an earthiness in general to the taste that I like. It's not a perfect RIS, but it's a darn good example of one. Now if I could only find me some more oak aged yeti.

The problem I've had with the "Imperials" is the heavy anise flavors. I'm not much of a licorice fan. Do they leave out the anise in this one? If so, I'll have to look for it.

cigarnv
04-17-2011, 05:09
Founders Double Trouble earlier this evening

Same here last evening.... very nice brew that has great flavor concentration, balance and complexity....

nivto
04-17-2011, 09:32
The problem I've had with the "Imperials" is the heavy anise flavors. I'm not much of a licorice fan. Do they leave out the anise in this one? If so, I'll have to look for it.

I don't detect any anise in this stout, so it might be a good one for you to try... especially if you can find the oak-aged yeti.

cigarnv
04-17-2011, 12:02
Enjoying a Williamsburg Alewerks Coffee House Stout.... excellent brew that handles the coffee hints perfectly.. worth a try if you see it

River Runner
04-17-2011, 14:48
Enjoying a Hoegaarden at the moment. :grin:

cigarnv
04-17-2011, 15:18
Beer number 2 on this glorious day is a Nectar IPA that I believe made by Firestone Walker. Excellent IPA with a perfect balance of hops and malt. Very nice mouth feel and a strong finish... nice brew..

HipFlask
04-17-2011, 20:09

If you can try both of Great Divides Imperial Stouts(the regular and the Yeti). I don't the anise in either. Too bad for me that they don't sell this stuff in Wisconsin anymore. I have to truck down to Binny's to get some. Hmm... a road trip is in my future!

Drinking to IPA's tonight tho. Smuttynose IPA and Southern Tiers 2X IPA. Both are very good. I cannot say that I like one better than the other but the 2X sure smells floral. Time to get some Curried food to pair.

jcg9779
04-19-2011, 21:42
After a few pours of bourbon I had two glasses of Left Hand Milk Stout. It tasted especially good tonight.

jcg9779
04-21-2011, 08:18
I grilled some chicken with a spicy bbq rub and paired it with a Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Definitely a good choice.

smokinjoe
04-22-2011, 14:48
Starting the weekend with a Victory Brewing "Hop Wallop" Ale. Let's just say, I've been hit harder. Nice body to the beer, though.

jcg9779
04-23-2011, 15:30
Another Bell's Two Hearted Ale after dusty hunting....now comes the tough decision of which bourbon to open first.

unclebunk
04-23-2011, 17:06
Went with the Bell's Oberon and Two Hearted myself and both were great!

MarkEdwards
04-23-2011, 19:09
Today I picked up:
Samuel Smith's nut brown ale
Samuel Smith's imperial stout
Guiness extra stout
Westmalle trippel trappist ale

The imperial stout was excellent, I already know I like the nut brown ale, and plan on trying the Guiness and the Westmalle tomorrow. Beats hard-boiled eggs and Peeps any day.:rolleyes:

cigarnv
04-23-2011, 20:19
Bells Brown with a ham sammie!!

jcg9779
04-24-2011, 12:08
MGD 64 at my grandmother's house after Easter lunch. Serves me right for not bringing anything else to drink!

cigarnv
04-24-2011, 13:28
Just finished an Oskar Blues Old Chub Scotch ale... pretty tasty stuff

HP12
04-24-2011, 16:12
Visited a wine and beer boutique today and hauled off with these sixers:

Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout
Bell's Kalamazoo Stout & Two Hearted Ale
Old Rasputon Russian Imperial Stout (4 pk)
Lagunitas Imperial Stout (22oz.)
Stone Smoked Porter (22oz.)
Dogfish Head World Wide (12oz.)

Bell's Exposition Stout and Double Cream Stout already stockpiled.

Left a few others behind for another day.

Just like a fine whiskey, fine beers are just as enjoyable when the mood calls for a barley malted.

moose
04-24-2011, 20:45
For Easter,

Stella Artois
Lagunitas IPA
Odell's Easy Street Wheat
Negra Modelo

Good variety.

jcg9779
04-24-2011, 21:35
Finished off the night with a terrific Founder's Centennial IPA.

Added by edit: Then decided to go back for one more - a Left Hand Milk Stout.

CaptainQ
04-24-2011, 21:47
Two growlers this weekend. Georgetown "Lucile" IPA=HEAVEN. :yum: Second was Freemont Brewing IPA, almost as great as the Lucile.

nor02lei
04-25-2011, 02:50
Finished off the night with a terrific Founder's Centennial IPA.

I had that one on tap in the closest liquor barn store to my hotel here in Louisville on Saturday. It was totally fresh and tasted wonderful. I have had it from bottles many times in Sweden, but this was very much better.

Leif

unclebunk
04-25-2011, 07:05
Enjoyed a few bottles of Fuel Cafe Stout from Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee. I'll be visiting the brewery itself next weekend which should be fun.

SBOmarc
04-25-2011, 09:52
Went out this past Saturday and had Stone Arrogant Bastard, Yards Pale Ale and a Victory Hop Devil.

The Stone was the best of the lot.

moose
04-25-2011, 15:15
Picked up some of Breckenridge Brewery's Small Batch 471 Double IPA recently, really good stuff. I maybe turning into a major IPA fan.

craigthom
04-25-2011, 15:48
I had that one on tap in the closest liquor barn store to my hotel here in Louisville on Saturday. It was totally fresh and tasted wonderful. I have had it from bottles many times in Sweden, but this was very much better.

Leif

Which Liquor Barn has the Founders Centennial on tap? Hurstbourne?

They now offer 32 ounce growlers, which is a perfect size for me.

cigarnv
04-25-2011, 17:25
Nectar Red Ale for me this evening... nice brew but nothing special and not in the same league as their IPA which I find to be very good..

River Runner
04-25-2011, 17:53
I've been trying to shed some pounds which means less beer among the many things I've cut back on. I like hoppy beers, but now that Summer is coming Lighter beers will be in the fridge more. I've always liked Becks and saw their light beer advertised with only 64 calories. I am not a fan, very weak taste that only hints at a the non-light original. I'll drink them, but prefer Rolling Rock light as my go to light beer.

ratcheer
04-26-2011, 04:55
I recently picked up a case of "The Beers of Mexico" at Costco. For less than $1 per bottle, I got a six-pack each of Sol, Tecate, and Dos Equis regular and dark. As these usually sell for $7-8 per six-pack around here, it is a fairly good value. I haven't opened it yet, though.

Tim

unclebunk
04-26-2011, 06:07
I recently picked up a case of "The Beers of Mexico" at Costco. For less than $1 per bottle, I got a six-pack each of Sol, Tecate, and Dos Equis regular and dark. As these usually sell for $7-8 per six-pack around here, it is a fairly good value. I haven't opened it yet, though.

Tim

I usually grab one of those cases at Sam's Club at the beginning of summer, as they make nice quenchers on a hot day.

moose
04-26-2011, 08:00

Tim

I saw "Beers of Mex" $19.99 (24pk) in my local stores ad but haven't gotten around to check it out, nice to know what is in it, maybe I'll swing by there this week and snag that while on sale, would be nice now that its starting to warm up a little bit.

Whiskey Willie
04-26-2011, 13:40
I'm in a Guinness groove right now...But if I want a beer after some physical labor, I'm reaching for the PBR.

cigarnv
04-26-2011, 14:55
Clipper City Uber Pils.... probably one of the most flavorful pils I have had... great brew....

SBOmarc
04-26-2011, 15:09
Clipper City Uber Pils.... probably one of the most flavorful pils I have had... great brew....

Same brew, different brewer. Victory Prima Pils. This one fits the same profile.

smokinjoe
04-26-2011, 15:19
My work traveling schedule has my running program in the crapper. Just flew back into town, and thought I'd go a couple. Horrendous, horrendous, effort. Bordering on pathetic. Crawled into the garage gasping, to find refreshment in the beer fridge. So, I'm sipping on a Sierra Nevada 2011 Glissade. It's feeling a whole lot better than my run.

River Runner
04-26-2011, 18:29

Ever had "mama's little yellow pills" ? Great Pils from Colorado that comes in a yellow can.

cigarnv
04-26-2011, 18:58
Ever had "mama's little yellow pills" ? Great Pils from Colorado that comes in a yellow can.

Just picked some up along with a 4 pack of OB Tenfiddy.... Looks interesing...

nivto
04-26-2011, 19:13

mmmmm... Tenfiddy

not a fan of the pils... but i guess i'm not a big fan of most pilsners in general, though

moose
04-26-2011, 19:21

mmmmm... Tenfiddy

not a fan of the pils... but i guess i'm not a big fan of most pilsners in general, though

Oskar Blues is a great little brewery, and I am happy that I am so close to it (easy little drive), I like their Pale Ale, as well as their Gubna Imperial IPA. Their G'Night (formerly Gordon) is an interesting brew as well. You really can't go wrong with any of them, its easy to be deterred by their can only packaging, but its definitely high quality beer. If you get a chance to try some on tap, have it!

nor02lei
04-26-2011, 20:49
Oskar Blues is a great little brewery, and I am happy that I am so close to it (easy little drive), I like their Pale Ale, as well as their Gubna Imperial IPA. Their G'Night (formerly Gordon) is an interesting brew as well. You really can't go wrong with any of them, its easy to be deterred by their can only packaging, but its definitely high quality beer. If you get a chance to try some on tap, have it!
That’s interesting indeed. So the classic Gordon’s IPA has changed name. Good information indeed.

Leif

moose
04-26-2011, 21:04
That’s interesting indeed. So the classic Gordon’s IPA has changed name. Good information indeed.

Leif

Well Gordon is their "Imperial Red/Double IPA" but for me its a stretch to call it an IPA, its got a real citrus funk going on with it, I pick up grapefruit, as well as pine notes, and its a really sticky beer, tough for me to even polish off one, much less two. But yes, just recently they had to relabel it as their was a dispute with Gordon Biersch Brewing. It has gone into effect, but thankfully liquor stores here have been able to sell their NOS, I may pick up some while I still can, just to have a little collectable can.

jcg9779
04-26-2011, 22:38
Flying Dog Double Dog tonight before the whiskey pours started.

unclebunk
04-27-2011, 07:14
Way too many Bass Ales last night while watching basketball and hockey. Not as good as it used to be but a fine pale ale just the same, particularly at $13 a twelve pack.

BrianBradford
04-27-2011, 07:20
Picked me up a case of Saranac Mix pack. Everything was tasty except that adirondack lager. Tastes like fishy lake water.

SBOmarc
04-27-2011, 08:16
I had a Yuengling Lager with breakfast this morning.

MarkEdwards
04-27-2011, 09:15
I had a few chucks of Irish porter cheddar at lunch. :rolleyes:

unclebunk
04-28-2011, 06:54
I thoroughly enjoyed a few bottles of Bridgeport IPA last night. I wish more American microbreweries would put out bottle-conditioned beer. Great stuff and not overly hopped, which is a nice change of pace these days!

MamaTried
04-29-2011, 09:07
Skull Coast Maelstrom...only available on tap at select watering holes in the Carolinas. If you like hoppy, it's the bomb.

jcg9779
04-29-2011, 18:16
Double Bastard tonight at Doug's house (while at the Sampler) - very delicious stuff!

nivto
04-29-2011, 19:58
Southern Tier Jahva, Imperial Coffee Stout

One of the better Southern Tier brews I've had. Not overly sweet, and not as much pronounced coffee as I expected, but it's thick and creamy and kind of tastes like a roasted coffee milkshake.

moose
04-30-2011, 18:43
Blue Moon, got a sampler of it, which included the Pale Moon, and their summer seasonal, not really a fan so far. I think I'll stick to IPA's for the mean time.

craigthom
05-01-2011, 07:39
Blue Moon, got a sampler of it, which included the Pale Moon, and their summer seasonal, not really a fan so far. I think I'll stick to IPA's for the mean time.

The major brewers certainly have the resources to make great beers, but, so far, in my opinion, they've just been attacking the craft beer market with blandness. marketing, and fictional brewing company names.

jcg9779
05-05-2011, 07:36
I had a couple of Dos Equis lagers on draft last night at a local Tex-Mex place while watching the Braves vs. Brewers and Hawks vs. Bulls. They were running a special because previously they only carried Dos Equis in bottles. It did hit the spot last night as I downed a lot of hot salsa.

AaronWF
05-05-2011, 09:53
I discovered Great Lakes' Conway's Irish Ale around St. Patrick's day and when I went back for more, found out it's released only seasonally. So I bought a case to last me until next year.

Less sweet than most Irish reds, deliciously balanced with a subtle toastiness, and clean like fresh water. A little over 6%, it's a beer I could drink year-round.

unclebunk
05-05-2011, 10:37
I discovered Great Lakes' Conway's Irish Ale around St. Patrick's day and when I went back for more, found out it's released only seasonally. So I bought a case to last me until next year.

Less sweet than most Irish reds, deliciously balanced with a subtle toastiness, and clean like fresh water. A little over 6%, it's a beer I could drink year-round.

I'll have to see if I can still score the CIA if it's not too late. I've never had it but I'm a fan of nearly all the beers I've tasted from Great Lakes, so it's worth the hunt.

jcg9779
05-05-2011, 15:49
After a long day at the office I decided to have a couple glasses of Stone Arrogant Bastard before heading out to dinner with a couple of coworkers on their expense account. :cool:

cigarnv
05-05-2011, 17:31
Flying Dog Porter tonight.... just OK... would not go out of my way to find it..

moose
05-05-2011, 18:53
Had some Sessions lager with some pizza for dinner, pretty good all around beer, and on sale for $8.99/12 was a good deal. Generally not a lager fan, but this one seems to hit the spot for me.

AaronWF
05-06-2011, 08:39
I'll have to see if I can still score the CIA if it's not too late. I've never had it but I'm a fan of nearly all the beers I've tasted from Great Lakes, so it's worth the hunt.

Well good luck on the hunt. Unfortunately, I just haven't seen it around, even at stores that stock Great Lakes. I picked it up on recommendation from my Binny's beer guy, but Great Lakes are not beers I normally drink. I think I tried one or two types a few years ago and found them a bit too harsh for my tastes.

But this CIA makes me want to give their other beers another try.

jcg9779
05-06-2011, 15:53
I thoroughly enjoyed a few bottles of Bridgeport IPA last night. I wish more American microbreweries would put out bottle-conditioned beer. Great stuff and not overly hopped, which is a nice change of pace these days!

After reading this I decided to try the Bridgeport IPA. It is a good beer, very crisp to me, but I find it to be lacking a little flavor. With that said, I think this would be terrific after a round of golf during the hot summer down here in Atlanta!

unclebunk
05-06-2011, 16:34
After reading this I decided to try the Bridgeport IPA. It is a good beer, very crisp to me, but I find it to be lacking a little flavor. With that said, I think this would be terrific after a round of golf during the hot summer down here in Atlanta!

Glad you tried it. My brother had a similar feeling, that it was slightly on the bland side, whereas I found it nicely balanced with just enough hop flavor/aroma to satisfy me. For those folks seeking an IPA with a heavy dose of hops, they'll need to look elsewhere. But if you want a nice pale ale (rather than a lager) for those hot summer days ahead, this really would be a great choice.

jcg9779
05-06-2011, 22:30
Glad you tried it. My brother had a similar feeling, that it was slightly on the bland side, whereas I found it nicely balanced with just enough hop flavor/aroma to satisfy me. For those folks seeking an IPA with a heavy dose of hops, they'll need to look elsewhere. But if you want a nice pale ale (rather than a lager) for those hot summer days ahead, this really would be a great choice.

You do mention in your original post that it isn't overly hoppy - it could have tasted bland to me because, even though I knew it wasn't too hoppy, I was still expecting that IPA profile to come through. I did buy two bombers at $2.99 each, so the price isn't too bad and I'll give the second one a try sometime in the next week. Maybe I'll have a different opinion now that I know what to expect.

Lost Pollito
05-07-2011, 05:08
2 great beers last night. Dogfish - Hellhound on my ale, and 3 Floyds Arctic Panzer.

Jono
05-08-2011, 18:53
Tried a new one on a whim....Roscoe’s Hop House – Craft Ale – Amber Ale –....very nice, smooth, slightly sweet malt, just a hint of hops. Evidently, the brewer also makes the Dundee line up, which I had before and enjoyed.....Genesee Brewing Company. Sold in Meijer stores.

http://beerdoctor.wordpress.com/category/roscoes-hop-house-amber-ale/

http://yearinbeer.tumblr.com/post/723572065/roscoes-amber-ale

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/roscoes-hop-house-amber-ale/109609/

http://grub.gunaxin.com/roscoes-hop-house-amber-ale/27507

unclebunk
05-09-2011, 08:30
You do mention in your original post that it isn't overly hoppy - it could have tasted bland to me because, even though I knew it wasn't too hoppy, I was still expecting that IPA profile to come through. I did buy two bombers at $2.99 each, so the price isn't too bad and I'll give the second one a try sometime in the next week. Maybe I'll have a different opinion now that I know what to expect.

I think that's what threw my brother too. He was expecting one thing and got something else. But I remember reading that the late Michael Jackson (the Beer Hunter, not the one with the chimp) considered it one of America's top ten beers (this was many years ago, so I'm sure his list would have changed), so I felt it was worth a try. Have you tried Goose Island IPA?

jcg9779
05-09-2011, 12:08
I think that's what threw my brother too. He was expecting one thing and got something else. But I remember reading that the late Michael Jackson (the Beer Hunter, not the one with the chimp) considered it one of America's top ten beers (this was many years ago, so I'm sure his list would have changed), so I felt it was worth a try. Have you tried Goose Island IPA?

I have had the Goose Island IPA before, but it's been years. It was when I was living in Texas and a place got one keg of it, and then they never ordered it again (I do remember it being very good). I haven't seen it in Atlanta before, but I haven't been looking for it either. I'm glad you reminded me of this one...I'll see if I can find it!

unclebunk
05-09-2011, 13:44
Goose Island is a local microbrewery here in Chicago and they have a beautiful range of products, with their IPA being one of my favorites. They were bought not long ago by Anheuser-Busch, so I'm guessing it won't be long before you'll be able to find it on your shelves in Atlanta. Goose Island IPA has a much more pronounced hop flavor/aroma than the Bridgeport IPA but still manages to refrain from overdoing it with the hops. I'll be having a few tonight at my local Irish pub!

craigthom
05-09-2011, 14:41
Goose Island is a local microbrewery here in Chicago and they have a beautiful range of products, with their IPA being one of my favorites. They were bought not long ago by Anheuser-Busch, so I'm guessing it won't be long before you'll be able to find it on your shelves in Atlanta. Goose Island IPA has a much more pronounced hop flavor/aroma than the Bridgeport IPA but still manages to refrain from overdoing it with the hops. I'll be having a few tonight at my local Irish pub!

While A-B InBev is just now buying Goose Island, they have been distributing their beer for a while. I've seen it all over the place. Most places just have the Honkers and, the last couple of years, the 312. I don't know how much of the rest will be showing up around the country.

OscarV
05-09-2011, 15:48
A-B has had a big peice of Goose Island for years.
Goose Island beer is in A-B kegs.

jcg9779
05-09-2011, 22:05
A-B has had a big peice of Goose Island for years.
Goose Island beer is in A-B kegs.

Founders Centennial, then Left Hand Milk Stout, then a couple of Miller Lites before conducting a blind bourbon tasting with a friend.

unclebunk
05-10-2011, 07:05
While A-B InBev is just now buying Goose Island, they have been distributing their beer for a while. I've seen it all over the place. Most places just have the Honkers and, the last couple of years, the 312. I don't know how much of the rest will be showing up around the country.

I really like the Honkers. Puzzling why they would limit their distribution to those two (Honkers and 312) when their IPA and Summertime (a German-style Kolsch) are big sellers too. Frankly, the 312 has never done much for me but my brother drinks it by the keg when the weather is warm. I greatly prefer their Summertime ale as a quenching session beer when the heat arrives.

AaronWF
05-10-2011, 08:09
Founders Centennial, then Left Hand Milk Stout, then a couple of Miller Lites before conducting a blind bourbon tasting with a friend.

Did you know that there's lactose in LH Milk Stout? Alright, so milk is part of the name... still I was flustered to learn this, as I can't digest lactose. I've enjoyed it on a few occasions and never equated my upset stomach to this fact. If you can't trust beer... by god what can you trust?

ThomasH
05-11-2011, 17:28
Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, Berry Weiss and Summer Shandy. Had the Sunset wheat at a Rush concert a few weeks back and liked it. Had the Berry Weiss and liked it even more. Had the Shandy and liked it too, but not as much!

Thomas

jcg9779
05-11-2011, 18:11
Dundee IPA tonight while I was cooking some BBQ chicken. It tasted pretty good to me...light, but good.

ILLfarmboy
05-12-2011, 13:11
I've been drinking Guinness, lately.

Damn! being dispensed from a tap with nitrogen verses those bottles with the widget thingy makes a huge difference.

That backwards cascade is almost mesmerizing while I'm waiting to take a sip.

nivto
05-12-2011, 15:17
Founders Dirty Bastard... yum!

cigarnv
05-12-2011, 16:18
Oskar Blues pale Ale for me this evening... clean, crisp, well balanced... a very civil pale ale with good flavor and finish..

jcg9779
05-12-2011, 16:21
Drinking a Stone Double Bastard tonight. Very, very good stuff. Thanks to Emerald (and Reid or others?) for bringing this to Doug's house!

Jono
05-13-2011, 08:14
Another "Best Beers" list:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/05/13/best-beers-summer/

The Best Beers of Summer

By Richard Goldsmith
Published May 13, 2011
| FoxNews.com

I have not tried any of them and don't know how available they are locally, other than
Dogfish Head products which I see all over.

Gillman
05-13-2011, 09:42
Various brands of strong stout, e.g., Lava from Iceland, Garrison's Grand Baltique Porter (from Nova Scotia), Guinness FES.

I think strong stout is my favourite form of beer followed by English pale ale. I'm not generally a fan of American pale ale, the C hops are just too big for me, but I like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and some others.

Gary

jcg9779
05-14-2011, 08:01
I had a couple Brooklyn Lagers last night at PJ Clarke's in NYC. Very delicious with a burger and fries.

Special Reserve
05-14-2011, 13:53
Sapient Trip Ale from Dark Horse Brewing.

A delightful Belgian style triple ale.

$10.49/6pack. 8.5% alcohol I'll bet this will keep well. Going to put some away in the cellar.

cigarnv
05-14-2011, 14:07
Founders Centennial.... very nice IPA.. well balanced, decent hops and malt.

unclebunk
05-14-2011, 17:19
Way too many bottles of Goose Island Honkers Ale last night. But it sure was fun when they were going down the hatch!

DeanSheen
05-14-2011, 18:34
Last night started right after dinner on the porch:

Session Red - Full Sail
Racer 5 - Bear Republic
Yeti Oak Aged Chocolate Stout - Great Divide

All good beers but that Yeti was really fun. The Oak and Chocolate bitterness took turns on the finish. That beer turned out really nice.

craigthom
05-15-2011, 10:03
Another "Best Beers" list:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/05/13/best-beers-summer/

The Best Beers of Summer

By Richard Goldsmith
Published May 13, 2011
| FoxNews.com

I have not tried any of them and don't know how available they are locally, other than
Dogfish Head products which I see all over.

The guy who wrote the article needs to look at a map. Of Three Floyds he wrote "Living in the middle of Indiana...". Munster is in the northwest corner of the state and is pretty much a southern suburb of Chicago.

DeanSheen
05-15-2011, 13:14
I just got back from a tasting event at a local distributor. It was mostly wine but there were about 25 different beers there to try so I spent a couple hours and picked through a few. I skipped all the Christian Moerlein as I’m not a big fan of their beers. I re-learned that I do not like Victory and out of the locals from Medina and Youngstown I would skip the Medina brewer (Bed Head) and probably try the Youngstown brewer (Rust Belt) again. My favorite were the West Coast (Rogue) followed by the Belgian (Ommegang), no surprise there based on what was on offer.

I typed up my tasting notes on this rainy day while enjoying a Jever and hoping that the Tribe would start. As for the reviews, you get what you pay for. My shorthand notes are as follows:

NG = Not Good, G = Good, B = Buy

Chatoe Rogue - OREgasmic – G,B, bomber, brewery grown hops. . Nice price at 5.99 retail.

Chatoe Rogue –First growth Creek Ale – G,B, bomber, made with cherries like a kriek, made with Rogues own first growth hops and barley, label has gps location of fields on it, mild cherry flavor, not real sour, a good summer beer. Nice price at 5.99 retail.

Ommegang + La Chouffe, Gnomegang – G, B, bomber, good stuff, banana, a Saision in mouth feel but different on the nose.

Ommegang – BPA – OK, like a light, less sweet Saision

Brooklyn Brewing – Summer Ale – OK, in cans, would work well in a pinch in the summer with the heat.

Rust Belt Brewing (Youngstown) – Rust Belt Stout – OK, not bad on entry, good first taste, quick and bitter finish.

Brouwerij Timmermans - Bourgone de Flanders

– OK, not real sour, a gateway for the style, watered down Duchesse de Bourgogne, no funk

Brouwerij Timmermans – Framboise – NG, raspberry, sweetened with sugar, flat, no finish, I prefer unsweetened of the style plus I like straight Gueze so sweetened Lambic style is not my thing.

Anderson Valley- Summer Solstice - NG ,In cans, flavored, nasty.

Mount Carmel - Springtime (Cincinnati)– NG,thin

Victory – Summer Love – NG, nose is of sweat and finish is of mildly sulpherous well water, stay away. Easily the worst thing I tried today.

Victory – Headwaters Pale Ale – NG, bland

Lagerheads Brewing Company and Smokehouse (Medina) – Bed Head Red - NG, thin, bland.

smokinjoe
05-15-2011, 14:03
I just got back from a tasting event at a local distributor. It was mostly wine but there were about 25 different beers there to try so I spent a couple hours and picked through a few. I skipped all the Christian Moerlein as I’m not a big fan of their beers. I re-learned that I do not like Victory and out of the locals from Medina and Youngstown I would skip the Medina brewer (Bed Head) and probably try the Youngstown brewer (Rust Belt) again. My favorite were the West Coast (Rogue) followed by the Belgian (Ommegang), no surprise there based on what was on offer.

I typed up my tasting notes on this rainy day while enjoying a Jever and hoping that the Tribe would start. As for the reviews, you get what you pay for. My shorthand notes are as follows:

NG = Not Good, G = Good, B = Buy

Chatoe Rogue - OREgasmic – G,B, bomber, brewery grown hops. . Nice price at 5.99 retail.

Chatoe Rogue –First growth Creek Ale – G,B, bomber, made with cherries like a kriek, made with Rogues own first growth hops and barley, label has gps location of fields on it, mild cherry flavor, not real sour, a good summer beer. Nice price at 5.99 retail.

Ommegang + La Chouffe, Gnomegang – G, B, bomber, good stuff, banana, a Saision in mouth feel but different on the nose.

Ommegang – BPA – OK, like a light, less sweet Saision

Brooklyn Brewing – Summer Ale – OK, in cans, would work well in a pinch in the summer with the heat.

Rust Belt Brewing (Youngstown) – Rust Belt Stout – OK, not bad on entry, good first taste, quick and bitter finish.

Brouwerij Timmermans - Bourgone de Flanders

– OK, not real sour, a gateway for the style, watered down Duchesse de Bourgogne, no funk

Brouwerij Timmermans – Framboise – NG, raspberry, sweetened with sugar, flat, no finish, I prefer unsweetened of the style plus I like straight Gueze so sweetened Lambic style is not my thing.

Anderson Valley- Summer Solstice - NG ,In cans, flavored, nasty.

Mount Carmel - Springtime (Cincinnati)– NG,thin

Victory – Summer Love – NG, nose is of sweat and finish is of mildly sulpherous well water, stay away. Easily the worst thing I tried today.

Victory – Headwaters Pale Ale – NG, bland

Lagerheads Brewing Company and Smokehouse (Medina) – Bed Head Red - NG, thin, bland.

Oh, that Summer Love sounds....refreshing!!!! :D As far as my experiences with Victory, I recently was entirely underwhelmed by a their "Hop Wallop". A big yawner...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

edo
05-16-2011, 05:02
Brooklyn Lager. It says "pre-prohibition style" on the label.

I don't drink much beer these days, but this stuff is really tasty. This is the second time I've had it, and it really hits the spot. There was an international festival in Miyazaki yesterday. The American tent was selling this (and Anchor Steam) for about $5 a bottle, and donating all the proceeds to tsunami relief.

unclebunk
05-16-2011, 05:54
Brooklyn Lager. It says "pre-prohibition style" on the label.

I don't drink much beer these days, but this stuff is really tasty. This is the second time I've had it, and it really hits the spot. There was an international festival in Miyazaki yesterday. The American tent was selling this (and Anchor Steam) for about $5 a bottle, and donating all the proceeds to tsunami relief.

I've always enjoyed Brooklyn Lager and particularly like its malty character. If you get the chance, Brooklyn Brewery has other fine beers and its worth seeking out their Brown Ale and East India Pale Ale.

moose
05-16-2011, 18:18
Finished off the last of some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, really good stuff, had it on sale for <$1 per, so I picked it up a couple weeks back, really enjoyed them, had a lot more hope character than I'm used to for a pale ale, and not as cloyingly sweet as the last few pale ale's I've had have been. Will have to pick up some more soon, really went down well. Now I'm working on a Heineken, and I now remember why I hadn't had one in a while; really just not my kinda beer, just has that unique funk to it that I'm not always in the mood for.

jcg9779
05-19-2011, 15:02

Well I tried the Bridgeport IPA again, and my assessment is still the same. A very crisp beer, and one that would be good in the summer, but is still lacking something to me. I can't quite put my finger on it. This isn't a beer that I would pass up if the price is right, but it's also not something that I will regularly keep on hand.

cigarnv
05-19-2011, 15:09
Bell's Best Brown Ale.... IMO one of the better brown's..

OscarV
05-19-2011, 16:30
I had some crap beer today.
I met Josh AKA Josh as per his SB.com screen name, in Ypsilanti for bottle swapping and lunch.
We went to a place that had Schell's Firebrick Ale on tap.
I orderd it because I sell it to the bar.
It sucked, at first I thought it tasted like ginger ale but as it went down it tasted like seltzer, it looked like Killian's.
OK, so I am a pimp, I sell it to the bars for the cash.
I got my mind on my money and my money on my mind.

ebo
05-21-2011, 13:20
Great Lakes Bock and some Rogue Dead Guy Ale.

moose
05-21-2011, 22:16
Had a couple Hop Czar's from Bridgeport earlier, they were good, but I expected a little more hoppiness from them, especially because right next to them was the Bridgeport IPA, if this Hop Czar is their double IPA then their regular IPA maybe mighty bland. I come off as passing judgment I'm sure, but its just what I picked up on my initial sampling. I will revisit it later, but I was expecting a lot more hop notes and a little bit more bitterness.

In other news, I am still trying to soldier through a case of Heinekens, that I just can't seem to finish, just not my kinda beer.

stevegoz
05-22-2011, 03:41
Oh, there was beer. Had some Robert the Bruce and Gumballhead at the Three Floyds brewpub over dinner. Then returned home for a beer buffet that included some Tyranena Rocky's Revenge and Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' and Brown Shugga, then dessert in the form of Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Southern Tier Choklat Stout and Goose Island's Big John Stout.

craigthom
05-22-2011, 04:50
Finished off the last of some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, really good stuff, had it on sale for <$1 per, so I picked it up a couple weeks back, really enjoyed them, had a lot more hope character than I'm used to for a pale ale, and not as cloyingly sweet as the last few pale ale's I've had have been. Will have to pick up some more soon, really went down well. Now I'm working on a Heineken, and I now remember why I hadn't had one in a while; really just not my kinda beer, just has that unique funk to it that I'm not always in the mood for.

There was a time when the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was my main beer. There are a lot more options more readily available, and I have moved on to hoppier beers, but that doesn't take anything away from it.

SNPA is still the standard by which American Pale Ales are measured. If you can get it on tap from a fresh keg the balance is almost magical.

The company has grown into one of the largest breweries in the country (still pretty far behind A-B, Miller, and Coors), but they still put the beer first, and they haven't stopped experimenting. I love those guys.

craigthom
05-22-2011, 04:57
Oh, there was beer. Had some Robert the Bruce and Gumballhead at the Three Floyds brewpub over dinner. Then returned home for a beer buffet that included some Tyranena Rocky's Revenge and Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' and Brown Shugga, then dessert in the form of Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Southern Tier Choklat Stout and Goose Island's Big John Stout.

The night I first stopped by the Three Floyds brewpub I got a laugh when they asked why I can come there and I said "I was just driving by". I don't think anybody accidentally stumbles upon that place, especially at night.

Had a couple Hop Czar's from Bridgeport earlier, they were good, but I expected a little more hoppiness from them, especially because right next to them was the Bridgeport IPA, if this Hop Czar is their double IPA then their regular IPA maybe mighty bland. I come off as passing judgment I'm sure, but its just what I picked up on my initial sampling. I will revisit it later, but I was expecting a lot more hop notes and a little bit more bitterness.

I think that's fair. With a name like "Hop Czar", and calling it a 2IPA, they are making specific claims and may be judged accordingly.

cigarnv
05-22-2011, 05:00
Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pil's.... not a great beer as it is quite light but very enjoyable on a warm spring afternoon....

Gillman
05-22-2011, 15:04
King Street, an Imperial Stout from Intuition Brewing in Jacksonville, FL. Sampled on draft in St. Augustine and a titan of a beer. It has a rich, authentic, strong London porter flavour. In my opinion, a fine porter or stout doesn't need coffee or chocolate; if made well, as this one is, it is sort of built into the taste (in a natural way). Not sure of the ABV on this one but it's up there.

Also, Jose Marti Porter (8% ABV) from Cigar City in Tampa, another rich, well-balanced strong porter.

There are old British roots in north Florida, does this explain the brewing of porters of such savour and authenticity?

Gary

HP12
05-22-2011, 17:01
Had a De Struise Black Damnation II - Mocha Bomb on tap the other day. Wow, talk about an exceptional beer! Went back the next day and killed their last 8-9 oz pour.

jcg9779
05-22-2011, 19:38
Founders Centennial today while grilling some burgers.

stevegoz
05-22-2011, 20:26
The night I first stopped by the Three Floyds brewpub I got a laugh when they asked why I can come there and I said "I was just driving by". I don't think anybody accidentally stumbles upon that place, especially at night.

No indeed -- but it's still easier to identify than the Two Brothers Tap House, which has no use for a sign. I don't know anyone who has found that place on first blush except on Hop Juice Fest day.:smiley_acbt:

sutton
05-23-2011, 13:21
The last of four bottles of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. One bottle had an overwhelming barnyard nose, similar to what you'd find in brett-infected red wine. The others had a nice vanilla, caramel nose and same notes on the finish.

unclebunk
05-23-2011, 13:45
SNPA is still the standard by which American Pale Ales are measured. If you can get it on tap from a fresh keg the balance is almost magical.

The company has grown into one of the largest breweries in the country (still pretty far behind A-B, Miller, and Coors), but they still put the beer first, and they haven't stopped experimenting. I love those guys.

Haven't had a SNPA in quite a while but it used to be a real favorite, so I picked up a six pack today and look forward to revisiting it tonight. I think you hit on something really important when describing SNPA: balance! So many PA's and IPA's these days are so ridiculously out of whack that I find myself having trouble enjoying them. I like my hops as much as the next guy but any damned fool can over-hop a beer. So what? Give me a beer that blends hop qualities to achieve the correct balance of bitterness, floral aroma and fruitiness and I'll choose that any day of the week over most of the other "double IPA's" that are so common nowadays.

jcg9779
05-23-2011, 17:15
Double Dog Double Pale Ale tonight.

Chris24
05-23-2011, 17:28
Just picked up some Firewalker Parabola
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2210/41815

cigarnv
05-24-2011, 03:18
Picked up a few 2010 North Coast Old Stock Ales this weekend as I have enjoyed other NC products.

This is a big boy coming in at 11.7% ABV. In the glass it is a dark copper color with a nice tan head. The aroma is malt, caramel, raisins and dark dried fruit. Very sweet nose with vanilla and a slight hint of mustiness.

This is a big, sweet beer/barley wine that hits you with flavors of caramel, malt, candied fruit and vanilla. I can detect no hops at all resulting IMO a beer that lacks balance. To me this is a very sweet, grab your attention beer that will become a bit boring to most before they finish the glass. Not much complexity and one dimensional to me.

I am usually a fan of big, rich and malt filled beers but this NC is missing the mark for me.

Tennessee Dave
05-24-2011, 07:59
Bell's India Pale Ale and Two hearted Ale. Both delicious.

unclebunk
05-24-2011, 09:23

How true. I can drink those two all day long and never get tired of them. (BTW: Bell's Two Hearted is their IPA, while the other is their standard Pale Ale.)

cigarnv
05-24-2011, 11:20
Founders Centennial with lunch today... a very nice and balanced IPA... worth looking for.

AaronWF
05-24-2011, 13:29

Mmmm... I love me some Two Hearted.

Drank a few Brooklyn Brewery India Pale Ales last night. Maltier than the Two Hearted, but great depth!

Also been chugging on Two Brothers Resistance IPA: DELICIOUS! And crisper than the previous two mentioned IPAs.

Also found myself enjoying Founders Dirty Bastard this past weekend. Well balanced and very drinkable.

craigthom
05-24-2011, 13:36
I stopped by Liquor Barn today to find they had just tapped a keg of Founders Double Trouble, so I got a small (32oz) growler bring home. Yes, I always have growlers in the car, just in case. Don't you?

CorvallisCracker
05-24-2011, 13:44
I always have growlers in the car, just in case. Don't you?

Yes, I do. I find they're an effective deterrent to break ins.

Oh wait...you're talking about bottles for beer. Never mind.

craigthom
05-25-2011, 17:50
Finishing off the half-growler of Founders Double Trouble (a great craft beer from Michigan, OscarV!).

I am too old to drink 32 ounces of 9.4% beer on one school night, so I split it over two. Maybe a little flatter today, but it tastes fine. I suspect, with this level of alcohol and hops, that this beer would last a few more days in the growler. I'm counting on my stockpile of bottles (in the fridge!) to last a few months.

It doesn't taste like it has that much alcohol, but that may be the hops covering the taste of the alcohol (I can usually taste the alcohol above 7% ABV).

(I'm sure glad the laws where changed so that it's legal for breweries to put ABV on the label" it makes it easier to avoid getting carried away. I think the reason it was illegal for so long is that they were afraid people would just buy the higher alcohol beer so they could get drunker. I'm sure people will (some people buy Stagg for that reason), but I don't think most people do, or they wouldn't sell so much light beer. And those people probably think that Canadian beer has more alcohol in it. And, really, they could buy more than twelve Buds for the price of a four pack of this scarily-hopped beer they couldn't drink.)

RyanL
05-28-2011, 02:22
Having a bottle of 2008 Schlafly Reserve Imperial Stout aged in bourbon barrels. Good stuff and if you are in the St. Louis area it is definitely worth picking up at $9.99 for a 750ml bottle.

Special Reserve
05-28-2011, 04:34
Finishing off the half-growler of Founders Double Trouble (a great craft beer from Michigan, OscarV!).

I am too old to drink 32 ounces of 9.4% beer on one school night, so I split it over two. Maybe a little flatter today, but it tastes fine.

Do you mean too old or too wise?

My capacity for beer has not diminished much over time but my desire to over imbibe has.

craigthom
05-28-2011, 07:09
Do you mean too old or too wise?

My capacity for beer has not diminished much over time but my desire to over imbibe has.

Excellent point. I certainly could drink it, but I know I wouldn't be happy with the results.

I discovered, for good or evil, that a local bar has a "pint night" each week which features one or two beers and souvenir glasses from the brewery. Thursday night they had Founders Double Trouble and Three Floyds Gumball Head.

The problem is that this is one of three bars owned by the same people, so that's three pint nights a week.

The good news is that, after checking the calendar, I discovered that most of the featured beers are of no interest to me. If I can be tempted by only three or four pint nights a month I'll be fine, at least until I run out of room for the glasses.

Special Reserve
05-28-2011, 07:31
I discovered, for good or evil, that a local bar has a "pint night" each week which features one or two beers and souvenir glasses from the brewery. Thursday night they had Founders Double Trouble and Three Floyds Gumball Head.

That's a great local bar that would have beer the quality of Double Trouble as a featured "pint night" beer.

What are some of their other features?

Will

unclebunk
05-28-2011, 07:59
Magic Hat #9. Hadn't had it in a while and it was crisp and delicious.

cigarnv
05-28-2011, 09:18
Last evening we had a few friends and a few SB’ers over to do a bit of beer tasting… here is how they stacked up on a 1 – 10 scale with 10 being the highest

Oskar Blues Gubna – Imperial IPA.. delicious, rich, sweet, balanced 7.5
Red Hook Copper Hook – American Amber – thin, bland, little taste 2.5
Yuengling Bock – Pedestrian, no real bock nuances, just OK 4.0
Firestone Double Jack – Imperial IPA – delicious, complex, balanced 8.0
Unita Cockeyed Cooper – Barley Wine – great brew, 11.1% abv, $9 at Costco 8.5
Zywiec Porter – from Poland, good, balanced, not real sweet, 9.5% abv, 5.0
Dogfish Head India Brown Ale – good average brown, Bells is better 6.0
Flying Dog Raging Bitch – Belgium IPA – different, food beer, decent 6.0
Dogfish Head World Wide Stout – Huge, rich, complex, decadently good 9.5

Best beer was the World Wide but at a big $$$. Best value was the Cockeyed Cooper which was excellent and a Costco selection (Greg G. discovered this one).

craigthom
05-28-2011, 09:53
That's a great local bar that would have beer the quality of Double Trouble as a featured "pint night" beer.

What are some of their other features?

Will

They've provided the list in a very user-unfriendly way (http://www.osheaslouisville.net/event_descriptions.php?eventID=757). I'd rather just have a list, or a calendar, or something. Every time you click on something in that scrolling box it jumps back to the top.

Special Reserve
05-29-2011, 06:45
user unfriendly is right, but their beer selection is great. Must be standing room only or I wonder why they go all out with the beer selection.

callmeox
05-29-2011, 09:11
I went for a couple of session beers at an annual party last night, Wanderer Session IPA and Bitter American by 21st Amendment. It's great to have beers with complexity but without the burden of high gravity.

smokinjoe
05-29-2011, 10:50
My favorite beer while watching the Indy 500, on what is going to turn out to be a sun-filled scorcher, here Down South. Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. :yum:

BourbonJoe
05-29-2011, 13:09
My favorite beer while watching the Indy 500, on what is going to turn out to be a sun-filled scorcher, here Down South. Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. :yum:
Well you're finally drinking a decent wheat beer. I hope you put a slice of lemon in it?
Joe :usflag:

HP12
05-29-2011, 13:15
Beer in a can is back in vogue...Oscar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout...yes, in a can and awesome "motor oil" - 10/50

OscarV
05-29-2011, 13:40
Cans keep out light better than brown bottles.

craigthom
05-29-2011, 14:04
And cans are lighter and cost less to transport. They are also more easily recycled (around here I can just leave aluminum cans by my trash can and they magically disappear).

cigarnv
05-30-2011, 03:36
Yesterday was BBQ and Rolling Rock....... While not a craft beer it does have its place....... an old favorite from my Philly days.

dean_martin
05-31-2011, 08:25
After doing some yard work late yesterday in the heat and humidity, I wanted something crisp and refreshing. Found an SN Summerfest 2009 in the back of the mini-fridge. Surprisingly, it hadn't lost it's bite.

dean_martin
05-31-2011, 08:28
Beer in a can is back in vogue...Oscar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout...yes, in a can and awesome "motor oil" - 10/50

Grilled on Sunday with Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale. Cans are great for outdoors!

unclebunk
05-31-2011, 08:57
Grilled on Sunday with Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale. Cans are great for outdoors!

I agree. I was hitting Bitburger tallboys yesterday on a scorching hot afternoon and they couldn't have tasted better.

AaronWF
05-31-2011, 13:27
Firestone Double Jack – Imperial IPA – delicious, complex, balanced 8.0

Tasted my first Firestone last night: Walker's Reserve Porter. Good gravey it was delicious! Silky, subtle cocoa/coffee/toffee, more malty than sweet, but perfectly balanced all the way through. I don't drink much Porter, but this beer was impeccable.

I picked up a couple of the Double Jack today.

DrinkyBanjo
05-31-2011, 13:34
I've been working on Sam Adams Lattitude Deconstructed and Sierra Nevada Beer School Sample pack. Both are great and recommended! The Lattitude is really cool as it has a single bottle of each different hop used in making the standard Lattitude, which is also included.

nor02lei
06-02-2011, 02:05
I had the latest Brooklyn black chocolate stout with the soft orange/chocolate cake for dessert yesterday. I do believe that this vintage is a bad one for this brand and the storage hasn’t improved it much so far. It’s very thin compared to the vintage before for example. The cake did overpower the beer and that shouldn’t normally be the case. However I guess this is part of the enjoyment of craftsmanship and small scale.

Leif

unclebunk
06-02-2011, 04:32
Genesee Cream Ale on a hot afternoon while doing some gardening. Brooklyn Lager with a nice grilled chicken dinner. Superb!

jcg9779
06-02-2011, 18:56
A couple of Kirin Ichibans tonight. I always enjoy a good Japanese beer.

unclebunk
06-03-2011, 08:27
Smuttynose's Shoal Pale Ale. Very fine and faithful to the English tradition of pale ales.

jcg9779
06-04-2011, 23:17
Founder's Centennial tonight before a couple of bourbon pours.

unclebunk
06-05-2011, 13:18
Smuttynose IPA and Brooklyn East India Pale Ale. The nod goes to Smuttynose.

moose
06-05-2011, 14:22
Bridgeport: Kingpin Double Red Ale 7.5%ABV 65IBU's. Unfortunately a bit of a let down from Bridgeport for me again. As a double red ale I anticipated there to be quite a bit of hops, and the packaging lead me to believe so as well. However, just as with the Hop Czar I tried, it was just way too malty for my tastes. I'll keep them in the fridge in hopes that they grow on me, but they didn't sit quite right with me just yet.

cds
06-05-2011, 16:15
Founder's Breakfast Stout this morning with my pipe
Miller High Life during the hot afternoon hours.

jcg9779
06-05-2011, 16:36
Had my last Left Hand Milk Stout tonight. Time to pick up another six pack!

moose
06-05-2011, 17:47
Had my last Left Hand Milk Stout tonight. Time to pick up another six pack!

Glad you found a Left Hand you like, the last few I've tried from them have all but turned me off from the brand, which is unfortunate as the brewery is within 20miles of here. Oh well, I'm sure I'll try more someday.

smokinjoe
06-05-2011, 19:43
I busted my freakin' arse on a 25 mile bike ride this afternoon, in 96 degree temps. These Georgia hills will beat the livin' crap out of you. Guzzled a Corona upon my wobbly legged return to my chair in the back yard. Yeah, yeah, I know what ya'll think of Corona. But, IMO it's one great thirst quenching beer in hot weather....and, at the beach.

jcg9779
06-05-2011, 19:53
I busted my freakin' arse on a 25 mile bike ride this afternoon, in 96 degree temps. These Georgia hills will beat the livin' crap out of you. Guzzled a Corona upon my wobbly legged return to my chair in the back yard. Yeah, yeah, I know what ya'll think of Corona. But, IMO it's one great thirst quenching beer in hot weather....and, at the beach.

I'll take a Dos Equis or Modelo Especial!

MarkEdwards
06-05-2011, 19:56

After a 25-mile ride in Texas heat, the best thing I've found is ice cold grapefruit juice, also guzzled straight down.

Then, when my legs unwobble, I get out the good beer. :cool:

jcg9779
06-07-2011, 07:16
A couple Sweetwater 420s last night. When I first moved back to Atlanta in 2005 I wasn't sure about this beer. Over the past couple of years it has really grown on me.

craigthom
06-07-2011, 19:40
A couple Sweetwater 420s last night. When I first moved back to Atlanta in 2005 I wasn't sure about this beer. Over the past couple of years it has really grown on me.

I drink a good bit of that, and the terrapin rye ale, when I visit Atlanta, but that's because it's what I usually find on tap (and for sale). Sales on pitchers are not uncommon.

moose
06-07-2011, 20:52

Just watched the Drinking Made Easy "Atlanta" episode, they sure liked that Sweetwater 420. If I could find some here I'd pick it up, but I think its safe to say Colorado has enough Pale Ale's to go around. But if I get down to Atlanta I'll sure seek out the 420.

craigthom
06-08-2011, 14:10
Just watched the Drinking Made Easy "Atlanta" episode, they sure liked that Sweetwater 420. If I could find some here I'd pick it up, but I think its safe to say Colorado has enough Pale Ale's to go around. But if I get down to Atlanta I'll sure seek out the 420.

By all means try it if you visit Atlanta, but don't get your hopes up. It's a decent beer, but it's not very assertive. I think it is popular, in large part, for two reasons: it's local, and it has a name everyone can snicker about.

jcg9779
06-08-2011, 17:22
By all means try it if you visit Atlanta, but don't get your hopes up. It's a decent beer, but it's not very assertive. I think it is popular, in large part, for two reasons: it's local, and it has a name everyone can snicker about.

That just about sums it up!

jcg9779
06-09-2011, 19:24
A couple Stone IPAs with dinner tonight. Pretty good, but not as good as the offerings from Founders or Bells, in my opinion.

craigthom
06-12-2011, 07:30
Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere 2011. Better than the much pricier Estate, in my opinion. It may not be better than the Northern Hemisphere Harvest, but it's certainly better than any of the NA Harvest available now, since that's all gone.

$3.99 for a bomber is a good deal.

cigarnv
06-12-2011, 12:54
Nectar IPA.... very nice brew.. well balanced and pretty easy to find..

jcg9779
06-13-2011, 12:11
Left Hand Milk Stout during the game last night.

HP12
06-13-2011, 12:14
Poured an Oscar Blues Old Chub Scottish Ale. Another tasty can o' subs from OB Brewery.

BrianBradford
06-13-2011, 12:19
Had me a Sam Adams east-west kolsch. It was mighty tasty!

cigarnv
06-13-2011, 16:45
Sam Adam's Double Bock.... actually a very nice brew. Big, dark, rich with sweet toasty notes. Worth seeking out if you like big, sweet chewy brews.

smokinjoe
06-16-2011, 17:49
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid while sitting down to get a little work done, this evening. This has turned into be one of my favorite Double IPA's.

cigarnv
06-17-2011, 09:04
Been enjoying Raging Bitch from Flying Dog.... great summer Belgium /IPA... refreshing but a bit more interesting than most lighter brews... also a nice cigar beer..

jcg9779
06-17-2011, 14:42
Left Hand Milk Stout as I finish up some work for the week...I'm glad the weekend is here!

craigthom
06-17-2011, 15:19
Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest. I still have a problem putting "fresh hops" on the label when the hops have been dried, even if it was only a week before they were used. I don't have a problem with the beer itself.

jcg9779
06-18-2011, 20:00
Founders Double Trouble tonight.

Lost Pollito
06-18-2011, 21:40
Had a great beer tonight. Tramp Stamp from clown shoes. Wonderfully hoppy. Will repeat tomorrow for brunch.

MarkEdwards
06-19-2011, 03:09
Tried Negra Modelo for the first time at On The Border yesterday. Not bad at all.

cigarnv
06-19-2011, 04:49
Founders Old Crumudgen... big, rich and a fairly heavy brew. Holding the rest for cooler weather...

cigarnv
06-19-2011, 13:01
For fathers day I enjoyed a Sammy Smith Yorkshire Stingo which is a bottle conditioned ale aged in oak ale casks for over 12 months.

The color of the ale was a dark orange tinged amber... beautiful. The nose is malt, oak, fall pumpkin pie spice and caramel apple. A hint of mustiness appeared on the nose which I found appealing but may turn others off a bit.

The flavor was to my palate incredible... fruit cake, dark fruit, oak, chocolate, malt, caramel, spice and sherry notes all come through. Very rich, perfectly balanced and one of the most complex ales I have had. Not overly sweet with layers of flavors coming through with each sip. A great example of a brewer who seeks balance over brute force.

Well worth seeking out if you can find it...

T Comp
06-19-2011, 16:28
For fathers day I enjoyed a Sammy Smith Yorkshire Stingo which is a bottle conditioned ale aged in oak ale casks for over 12 months.

The color of the ale was a dark orange tinged amber... beautiful. The nose is malt, oak, fall pumpkin pie spice and caramel apple. A hint of mustiness appeared on the nose which I found appealing but may turn others off a bit.

The flavor was to my palate incredible... fruit cake, dark fruit, oak, chocolate, malt, caramel, spice and sherry notes all come through. Very rich, perfectly balanced and one of the most complex ales I have had. Not overly sweet with layers of flavors coming through with each sip. A great example of a brewer who seeks balance over brute force.

Man... I'll have one of what Reid is having! But until I track some down, I'll be sipping on some cold DAB in 500ml cans, one of my favorite summer heat and thirst quenching beers.

cigarnv
06-20-2011, 15:44
Man... I'll have one of what Reid is having! But until I track some down, I'll be sipping on some cold DAB in 500ml cans, one of my favorite summer heat and thirst quenching beers.

Thad, just came across this video review of the Stingo... Chris does a great job...

http://www.beergeeknation.com/?p=3182 (http://www.beergeeknation.com/?p=3182)

cigarnv
06-20-2011, 15:48
Tonight I reached for a Founders KBS.... this boy is a chocolate bomb that just keeps giving. I gather the bourbon barrel adds a fair amount of sweetness to the brew. Nice treat now and then but given the choice I would grab a Stingo.......

T Comp
06-20-2011, 19:44
Thad, just came across this video review of the Stingo... Chris does a great job...

After your write up and his video I couldn't resist getting my tired ass back in the car tonight and bringing home 3 bottles. Thanks for the heads up on this one Reid.

jcg9779
06-22-2011, 13:24

After reading this review I stopped by the store while I was out for lunch yesterday. They did not have the Stingo, but I did pick up a Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. Has anyone had this? I'm looking forward to trying this one tonight.

Gillman
06-22-2011, 13:47
The Taddy is a good example (IMO) of a 1700's-1800's style porter in its dryness. A good, traditional, winy porter.

Good catch on that Stingo, that is an example of an English strong beer which used to be brewed seasonally, in spring or autumn, for aging into the following season or even year(s). It would be well-hopped to last the aging, and be set down in wood for a long spell to get a balanced palate, not too sweet, not too dry, not too bitter, with the flavours of age (often a nutty or Madeira-like effect). Cheers.

Gary

cigarnv
06-22-2011, 14:43
.......Stingo, that is an example of an English strong beer which used to be brewed seasonally, in spring or autumn, for aging into the following season or even year(s). It would be well-hopped to last the aging, and be set down in wood for a long spell to get a balanced palate, not too sweet, not too dry, not too bitter, with the flavours of age (often a nutty or Madeira-like effect). Cheers.

Gary

Perfect description Gary.... now why are beers like this so hard to find? Stingo is near imposible to get and when I do it is one or two??? Any suggestions on something that may be similiar to the Stingo??

cigarnv
06-22-2011, 14:45
After your write up and his video I couldn't resist getting my tired ass back in the car tonight and bringing home 3 bottles. Thanks for the heads up on this one Reid.

Thad, that is more Stingo than I have seen all year!! Looking forward to your thoughts... of course if you hate it I would feel obligated to take it off your hands:grin:

jcg9779
06-22-2011, 16:23
The Taddy is a good example (IMO) of a 1700's-1800's style porter in its dryness. A good, traditional, winy porter.

Good catch on that Stingo, that is an example of an English strong beer which used to be brewed seasonally, in spring or autumn, for aging into the following season or even year(s). It would be well-hopped to last the aging, and be set down in wood for a long spell to get a balanced palate, not too sweet, not too dry, not too bitter, with the flavours of age (often a nutty or Madeira-like effect). Cheers.

Gary

Thanks for the description, Gary. I'm drinking it right now and the dryness did surprise me a little bit (in a good way). It almost makes the beer taste lighter to me than it should. Definitely one that I'll buy again.

Lost Pollito
06-23-2011, 21:48
Had 2 great beers..well 3. Zombie Dust from 3 floyd's, Wipeout from Port, ans a Matilda. Lovely night.:cool:

AaronWF
06-24-2011, 10:04
I've been digging Great Lakes' Lake Erie Monster. It's an Imperial IPA that tastes very tamed, in a pleasing way, at least to me. My favorite Great Lakes brews have a clean water taste in their carbonation that works to balance the big flavors underneath. I could see how someone might miss the more boom-y, bitter and/or fruity hops, but I find it tasty and refreshing. It comes in at 9.1%, so no skimping on the alkyhol either.

I find most easy-going beers in the 9% range rely on sweet malt to keep other flavors under control. That's not the case with this one, and I like it.

HP12
06-24-2011, 12:27
Stumbled upon a Founder's KBS, Oscar Blues Gubna I-IPA and Gordon Imperial Red. Weekend starts now!

unclebunk
06-24-2011, 15:13
Fuller's ESB and a big fat steak!

MarkEdwards
06-24-2011, 18:11
A St Sebastiaan dark ale (a dubbel - cool bottle) and a bottle of Stone smoked porter today. I've got some more Samuel Smith's and Westmal that will meet their dooms tomorrow, and a few Guinness for Sunday.

HP12
06-24-2011, 19:21
Just poured a KY Bourbon Barrel Ale. Nice beer on a summer night. Better as the chill fades.

Lost Pollito
06-24-2011, 21:40
1 Mickey's Grenade, 2 Alpha Kings. Yum.

OscarV
06-25-2011, 08:22
Had a few cold Czechvar's last night.
Great with pizza.