PDA

View Full Version : Hello from KC

RaylanGivens
03-24-2011, 17:47
Hey Everyone, just wanted to make my first post and say hello. I won't lie, this can be a bit of an intimidating board for a newcomer to bourbon. I got interested in trying bourbon a few months back and the all powerful internet led me here.
Thanks to the knowledge of the community, my lurking led to trying a good few starter bottles and I've been working my way through a couple bottles of Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, and Woodfords, to name a few. I have enjoyed all and feel after a few months of exploring I've really got a taste for it. :grin:
I've been a craft beer enthusiast for many years and always had a fondness for bourbon barrel aged stouts, so I guess the transition was inevitable. I've found I prefer it neat, and can't help but think about what my next bottle will be on a daily basis, ha ha. I imagine like anything this can be quite the encompassing passionate hobby.
I reckon I've rambled enough, but wanted to reiterate how glad I am to have found this site, and hope I can continue to grow my knowledge and contribute down the line. The acronyms are a killer around here, so that's my next learning curve. Cheers to all of you!

-Jeff

tehbeardman
03-24-2011, 18:17
Hello from your neighbor 3hrs north on i-29 Jeff (Omaha). Welcome to SB. I know there are several active members in the KC area around here, as well as some fellow beer lovers. Hang out, come on in to the Gazebo (chat) and talk to some of the folks. I joined in January, and I'm sure some of the more seasoned members will agree, the joy of figuring out what your next bottle is going to be doesn't go away. Just don't forget to enjoy what you already have too!

squire
03-24-2011, 18:52
Hey Jeff, welcome aboard, you will find a lot of friends here.

p_elliott
03-25-2011, 11:50
Hi Jeff

I'm Paul I live between you Andy. this will help you with the acronyms

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=43&a=8

Like Andy said come join us in chat it's a good time. Enjoy your time here tell us what you have been trying. What you liked and what you didn't like. Stay with it here and make some new friends.

BBQ+Bourbon
03-28-2011, 22:09
Welcome aboard, Jeff. I'm in the northland, just off of I29 and 64th. Do join us in the Gazebo whenever you have a chance. Jump in and wait a bit and you'll have friends in no time.

See you around, and stay off my huntin grounds!:slappin:

squire
03-28-2011, 22:12
Are my hunting grounds same as my yard?

Robmo
03-29-2011, 00:33
Hey Everyone, just wanted to make my first post and say hello. I won't lie, this can be a bit of an intimidating board for a newcomer to bourbon. I got interested in trying bourbon a few months back and the all powerful internet led me here

I came to this site about a month ago and have to say people are extremely friendly and helpful. Any initial feelings of 'intimidation' I felt were quickly forgotten. Hopefully you'll feel the same. Welcome aboard!

found I prefer it neat, and can't help but think about what my next bottle will be on a daily basis, ha ha. I imagine like anything this can be quite the encompassing passionate hobby.

Know what you mean. I feel like I think about bourbon more than is normal for a healthy person. Anyway, happy exploring and learning!

Inthewater
03-29-2011, 11:15
Welcome aboard, Jeff. I am fairly nearby, as well. Curious to hear what you have available that we may not up here.

My biggest "surprise" since my love affair with Bourbon started, is how little most folks know about it, but then conversely, how much people "think" they know about it and spout off at the local pub. :D

Also, it's a rare person I meet that says "Yummy!" when they ask what I am drinking and I tell them "(insert bourbon name) neat".

Usually I get a disgusted look and notice they are drinking a Vegas Bomb or some other fruity / energy drink concoction.

Though, it is a pleasant surprise when you do run into one of your own kind and spend the next 2 hours discussing our tasty poison.

Again, welcome.

texascarl
04-02-2011, 16:40
Howdy. I'm out in the Kansas side suburbs. Plenty of good whiskey in KC, grab a glass and enjoy yourself.
One of my old buddies works at the Gomer's in Mid town. What they don't have, they'll get. So if you're ever in a bind give them a try.

bgast1
04-02-2011, 18:15
Hey Jeff. Welcome I have been here about a week and I already feel at home.

JB64
04-05-2011, 00:39
Hi Jeff, glad you joined. I am a new member myself and it's good to see more KC area bourbon fans on here. I live up by the airport.

Parkersback
04-05-2011, 01:38
Greetings, friend.