PDA

View Full Version : New from Noblesville, IN (North Indianapolis)

MacinJosh
03-25-2011, 14:14
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Josh and I was introduced to this sight by my buddy Tom Helt. While I'm not new to whisky, I've just recently within the last two years, "caught the fever". I'd always passively enjoyed a Jack & Coke or an occasional Scotch. I dabbled in Maker's Mark and Knob Creek a few times but always mixing my whisky with Coke and never neat. Then a few years ago, I discovered single malt scotch and good American bourbon. George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller, Eagle Rare 17, Parker's Heritage, Rock Hill Farms, and Evan Williams Single Barrel were quickly filling my shelves. I joined a Whisky Club in Carmel, IN that meets once a month. Sitting in a round table fashion, we sample 6-7 different whiskies while taking notes and engaging in open discussions. It has been an invaluable experience in expanding my palate. I quickly became immersed in the subject of whisky and grabbed every book on the subject I could find. I've read books/articles from the late Michael Jackson, Doninic Roskrow, Lew Bryson, Dave Broom, John Hansell, and many others. Always seeking to learn more and further my education in this fine spirit. On Twitter I've found willing teachers and mentors like Dominic, Lew, John, and Dave who have always been more than willing to answer my questions and join me in open conversation. I'm amazed how friendly and inviting the whisky community is, always eager to welcome a newcomer who shares a similar passion.

I joined this forum hoping to learn and increase my knowledge of whisky. While I enjoy all whisky, not just bourbon, I'm confident this forum will become an invaluable source of information and provide a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Thanks for having me and I look forward to speaking with each and every one of you! Sláinte!

Joshua N. Scott

Sent from my iPhone

squire
03-25-2011, 14:18
Hey Josh, welcome aboard. The subject is Bourbon but we're not a one trick pony when it comes to whiskys. The chat room is found under The Gazebo, stop by and introduce yourself.

OscarV
03-25-2011, 14:26
Welcome aboard Josh.
And also, what squire said!

TomH
03-25-2011, 16:00
Josh,

Glad you finally decided to expand from facebook and twitting and actually write something over here in SB. I will warn my fellow SB'ers that they need to be careful and not overwhelm you too quick otherwise they may never find another dusty. When Josh was introduced to this years BTAC he went out and found more WLW and Stagg than anyone I know. Once he discovers the world dusties (I just showed him Old Fitz DSP-16 as a dusty), I'm really worried how many bottles he will find.

BTW Josh, will you be able to use the chat room.....I know the Ipad doesn't work with Flash sites do other Apple products run Flash ?

Tom

tehbeardman
03-25-2011, 17:59
Welcome Josh! Sounds like you'll fit right in. Look around, ask questions, meet the folks in chat, and refer to this (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=43&a=8) as often as you need. When I first joined I'd go through the "What did you purchase" and "What are you drinking" threads and it'll really give you a good feel for what people around here like.

birdman1099
03-25-2011, 19:31
When Josh was introduced to this years BTAC he went out and found more WLW and Stagg than anyone I know.

So thats where it all went (http://<A href=)...... :skep:

Just Kidding, Josh... I got my share....:grin:

Its nice to see another Indy'ite on the board. Perhaps our paths will cross soon !!!

Cheers !!!!!

MacinJosh
03-26-2011, 14:18
LOL Tom! I'm surprised you found my post on here!

I have to admit, I've fallen in love with the BTAC. The Stagg and Weller are two of the best bourbons I've ever tasted. I did go on a manhunt and developed some really good relationships with some local store managers. It got to the point where I had to turn several WLWs down and unload a few Staggs or I'd find myself divorced. :-D I've got my fill for the year but still keep an eye out. Speaking of which, if anyone needs a WLW, I know where a couple are. Send me a message.

Tom, I'm using an app called "Tapatalk" to communicate with this forum. It's incredible! Useful for darn near any forum out there. No Flash support though, so it's not going to work for the chat room (is that the Gazebo?)

Nice to meet you birdman and beardman!

Josh

Sent from my iPhone

Bourbon Boiler
03-26-2011, 18:24
I did go on a manhunt and developed some really good relationships with some local store managers. It got to the point where I had to turn several WLWs down and unload a few Staggs or I'd find myself divorced.
Sent from my iPhone

Welcome aboard. Mind if I ask which stores you hit in Hamilton Co.? I'm originally from Pendleton, so I'm around there every now and then visiting relatives.

MacinJosh
03-26-2011, 20:09
A more appropriate question is which stores DIDN'T I visit! ;-)

Most the 21st Amendments, United Package, Vine and Table, PayMORE Liquors, and a few small mom and pop stores.

Stu
03-27-2011, 21:40
Welcome Josh,

The way you spell whisky, without the "e", and the fact that you admit to being a friend of TomH, lead me to believe you are a lover of the "dark side".

TomH
03-28-2011, 06:44
He does play on the darkside, but I should warn you.....one of his favorite scotches is the one that you could hardly finish on NYE.

Tom

NeoTexan
03-29-2011, 03:20
Nice to see ya here guy and always a pleasure to drink with ya.

Dale

Josh
03-29-2011, 08:57
Welcome Josh! But I have to ask, are you from Indianapolis or are you from Noblesville...:skep:

Just teasin'...Welcome to SB! There are few better guides to the world of whiskey with or without the e than Tom. And few better bunkers, either. Better organized, maybe, but not better! :)

MacinJosh
03-29-2011, 09:54
Stu, indeed I favor the darkside. *grin*

Thanks Dale. Will you be joining us Friday?

And Josh, I'm going to have to agree with your assessment. Aside from online pictures of John Hansell's....the most amazing bunker I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure Tom had to go back after I left and clean up all the drool on the floor.

And being the perfectionist/Type A personality that I am (you should see my modest bunker with every bottle perfectly dusted, spaced out, and arranged neatly, lol).....I too cringe at the level of organization. I'd love to just go to town one day and rearrange everything into the greatest showcase bunker this side of the Mississippi!!! Ha! :-)

Josh

Sent from my iPhone

NeoTexan
03-29-2011, 16:33
Thanks Dale. Will you be joining us Friday?

Yep, I'm in. See ya Friday (hHave you ever driven with Tom before?:bigeyes: :lol: )

MacinJosh
03-30-2011, 08:23
Yep, I'm in. See ya Friday (hHave you ever driven with Tom before?:bigeyes: :lol: )

Nope, should I be scared??? :-)

TomH
03-30-2011, 08:26
Only if I were driving the Smart...wouldn't be much room for you with me and Dale !

NeoTexan
03-30-2011, 09:34
Nope, should I be scared??? :-)

If your Catholic, don't forget the beads....:slappin:

Only if I were driving the Smart...wouldn't be much room for you with me and Dale !

We could stuff Josh in the "trunk". :slappin:

MacinJosh
03-30-2011, 12:56
ROTFL!!!!

Josh

Sent from my iPhone