PDA

View Full Version : Which Grand-dad do you prefer?

Brisko
03-30-2011, 12:28
Of the current product, which OGD do you all prefer, and why? Do you keep more that one expression in your rotation?

I love, love, LOVE the 114 proof, to the point that I've never even bothered to buy the BiB or the 86 proof.

Thoughts?

(and yes, this has been discussed before, but not recently).

soad
03-30-2011, 12:36
I love the 114 to the point that I sleep with a bottle of it under my pillow :lol: . I actually enjoy the 86 over the BIB, but just slightly. You can't go wrong with OGD.

Virus_Of_Life
03-30-2011, 12:40
LOVE the 114 proof, to the point that I've never even bothered to buy the BiB or the 86 proof.

Exactly, nothing else to say really. I haven't seen the BiB around here for more than $2 less than I can get the 114 for, actually often see it for more. The 86 is pointless completely IMO, and only when it was ND would I really bother with the BiB.

rocky480
03-30-2011, 13:19
Exactly, nothing else to say really. I haven't seen the BiB around here for more than $2 less than I can get the 114 for, actually often see it for more. The 86 is pointless completely IMO, and only when it was ND would I really bother with the BiB.

Interesting. I rather prefer the BIB to the rest of the OGD line up, and at $28 a handle, I tend to buy it, well, by the handle. :drink:

Rotgut
03-30-2011, 13:25
Interesting. I rather prefer the BIB to the rest of the OGD line up, and at $28 a handle, I tend to buy it, well, by the handle. :drink:

I'd have to say the BIB, too, although the 114 is close. I mainly go with the BIB because it's everywhere while the 114 isn't. I'd love to find handles, but even the liters (I can easily find them for $18) are a good deal.

Mike

SMOWK
03-30-2011, 13:43
114 for me is a no-brainer. They are under $20 in tax-free Delaware.

cowdery
03-30-2011, 13:51
I prefer the BIB.

I've also had occasion in the recent past to develop a new appreciation for Basil Hayden.

squire
03-30-2011, 15:18
I have both within walking distance but usually opt for the BIB. There's not a lot of difference between them and The BIB bottle is easier to pour from.

CorvallisCracker
03-30-2011, 15:32
I most prefer my own "custom expression", a 1:1 of 114 and BH.

DeanSheen
03-30-2011, 15:34
114 Hands Down.

I can't get it here and I've lost my mule so next time I need to get a case.

soad
03-30-2011, 15:59
114 Hands Down.

I can't get it here and I've lost my mule so next time I need to get a case.

They just started selling it here in PA. I see you are from NE Ohio, not sure how far you are from the border but it may be worth a trip.....

Brisko
03-30-2011, 16:42
For those of you who like the BiB, why do you prefer it?

SMOWK
03-30-2011, 16:46
Is it just me, or has the BiB fallen in quality a bit lately?

squire
03-30-2011, 17:09
It's you. My only criticism is the bottle, I liked the older versions.

smokinjoe
03-30-2011, 17:17
I adore the 114. Burnt corner of the brownie pan. Low $20's. Dang nice looking bottle, too. Plus, as an added benefit, the corks perfectly fit the ND 114's that I keep breaking the dried out corks on, when I open a new/old one. :cool: BTW, I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a distillery tour guide, that has a cousin who used to deliver the mail there, who read it somewhere on SB, that according to an unknown source, Beam did this on purpose....in order to use up a 25 year supply of prime Eastern Portugal cork stoppers that ND had in inventory at the time of the sale. Beam will be changing the bottle design next year, after these run out, and switch to a composite ceramic bottle, with a significantly smaller opening...Bloggers everywhere, will herald the significance of Beam's pioneering achievement...(Just looking to keep our membership's notorious reputation of purveyors of misinformation, going here...:D)

trumpstylz
03-30-2011, 18:10
Question: If you watered the 114 down to 100 prf, would it taste the same as the bonded (Is it the same whiskey at different proofs, or are there age/profile differences?

BFerguson
03-30-2011, 18:35
It is a close call between the two. I have some great memories of many nice BIB experiences, and a few 114 too. have a bottle of the 114 open now and need to spend more time with it. Neither I would even turn down if somebody was offering.

But tonight it is going back to a dusty bottle that needs finishing, some vintage Stagg, 2005.

B

cowdery
03-30-2011, 18:36
It's probably its own profile, since it isn't bound by the 'one season, one distillery, one distiller' rule, they probably takes the opportunity to fine tune the profile with whiskey from different seasons.

ebo
03-30-2011, 18:57
I can't get 114 here. BiB is readily available, so, there is no need to bother with the 86.

roostercogburn
03-30-2011, 20:00
Bonded. Never had the 86 proof. The 114 is really pretty good (and a bargain, too), but I generally find myself drinking BIBs over their counterparts. Don't really know why.

ThomasH
03-30-2011, 20:06
I have the 114 right now. I haven't seen any 114 here but haven't really looked for it either. Pa. is 45 minutes from here so I can easily get it if I want it. I think that is actually where my current bottle came from!

Thomas

tehbeardman
03-30-2011, 20:10
I am interested in hearing why some prefer the BiB over the 114 where both are readily available. I've only ever had the 114, but can get ahold of the BiB if I wanted. Any reason I should?

G.H.Adams
03-30-2011, 20:44
I like both expressions but the nod has to go to 114.

tmckenzie
03-31-2011, 01:19
I just finished a handle of the bonded this week. Great stuff. Here the 86 and bonded are the same price. Funny thing, when I picked this up a week or so ago, I walked up to pay for it. The clerk looks at me and says, now you know this is the 100 proof right? Would you rather get the 86, you cannot return it after you have payed for it. I said, WHY would I want to? She said it happens all the time here. People get the 100, and when they get home they discover the mistake and try to return it because they cannot handle the high proof. I just laughed and said, mam, the reason I got it was because it is 100 proof. Then I said, I hope they got sense enough to water it down. I do not think she understood what I was saying.

Gillman
03-31-2011, 05:31
Hey Joe how about a comparative, one of those ND 114s to today's?

Gary

Enoch
03-31-2011, 06:07
I seem to be in a minority but I do not care for any of the Beam OGD offerings. I love the ND OGD and have several bottles of each. Even though it is claimed that they use the same mashbill and yeast strain it seems clearly different to me. The ND (with the big tops and paper seal (1986) is much more mellow. I have done several blind taste test with several friends comparing Beam OGD (86 proof), ND OGD (86 proof), and Beam White Label (80 proof). I ask them to tell me which two were made by the same distillery. They always put the two Beams together. I then ask them which they like best and they always pick the ND. I also ask them to compare OGD 114 ND and Beam and they always pick the ND. Never tried the Beam BIB so I can compare them. It may be that ND let it age longer, I don't know. But I do know I love one and can't drink the other. As a result I always pick up the ND whenever I find it. Funny thing is that I like Beam's BH. Maybe it is aged longer. JMHO

harshest
03-31-2011, 06:58
I have only had the 86 and 114. I forget how good the 114 is compared to a lot of what I have open.

ratcheer
03-31-2011, 14:19
The 86 proof is one of my favorite everyday pours. I have the BiB and the 114. The BiB is very, very good, but I think the 114 is something special.

OGD = Good Stuff

Tim

jburlowski
03-31-2011, 15:41
Always have a bottle of 114 open on my bar.

squire
03-31-2011, 15:45
Enich, Beam may use the same mashbill but I doubt the same yeast strain. That and a few other slight differences may make for the changes you notice.

wripvanwrinkle
03-31-2011, 15:48
I adore the 114. Burnt corner of the brownie pan...<clip>

Darn you Joe, this post snapped my resolve. I have impulsively snagged a bottle and am eager to give it a try.

squire
03-31-2011, 15:51
I may get some of this as well, just cause I can.

Enoch
03-31-2011, 16:00
Enich, Beam may use the same mashbill but I doubt the same yeast strain. That and a few other slight differences may make for the changes you notice.

It just seems to me to be much harsher than the stuff I have from the mid 80's. And realizing that the 80's stuff is limited I stop at every hole-in-the-wall liquor store I pass.

squire
03-31-2011, 16:04
Good rule Enoch, those old two land State highways offer more than scenery.

cowdery
03-31-2011, 16:06
Beam told me back in the late 1980s that they had retained the OGD yeast and mash bill. Among others, I was told this by Booker Noe. I have not, however, asked them to renew the pledge annually.

In that case, the only difference would be the distillery, which is a big difference. I don't know this for sure but it's possible OGD is still aged at the Frankfort plant that was called Old Grand-Dad before Beam bought it.

squire
03-31-2011, 16:43
The same but not the same. Oh well, differences keep things interesting.

Gillman
03-31-2011, 17:24
Enoch stated it as I see it, except BH to me has the Beam profile all over it too.

Gary

smokinjoe
03-31-2011, 18:37
Hey Joe how about a comparative, one of those ND 114s to today's?

Gary

OK Gary, Here ya go.

The bottlings are an 82 National Distillers Old GrandDad 114, and a very recent Beam OGD 114. All my Beam 114ís are very recent, in that once theyíre open, they donít last long.

Both, poured into stolen bathroom glasses from the Long Island Hilton in Melville, NY. Dang nice whiskey glasses for the money. ;)

Initial Impression: Both pour thick and viscous. Heavily Bodied, both. You suburban Chicago boys thought I was going to say Heavenly BodiesÖdidnít you?ÖHuh?ÖHuh?ÖCome onÖ.Fess upÖThe color of both is a darkish reddish-brown with glints of burnished gold in the light. Upon swirling in the glass, both cling mightily to the sides, and neither shows much inclination of breaking away to flow back toward the bottom. The Beam shows the first signs of releasing at the very edge, but only after several, several seconds.

Nose: Here is where the differentiation of the two whiskies begins to take place. They are night-and day different. The ND has that characteristic ripened dark fruit that I find in a lot of bourbons, (regardless of distiller, BTW) from that era. Itís juicy, and the alcohol hit is full.

The Beam is letting loose of the initial hints of the wonderful un-sweetened, charred dark chocolate that I adore in it. The nose of the Beam is where I begin to believe that Beam is using their own yeast in the newer OGDís. Itís definitely not as pungent as with non-OGD Beams, but I detect it there, nonetheless, as it pushes forth from the background. There are some that donít care for the yeastiness of Beam products, but I feel it gives their whiskies a distinctive ďhouse flavorĒ that I quite enjoy.

Palate: The ND is an explosion of the ripened fruit, and an almost Harveyís Bristol Cream-like tinge to it. Like a bag of dried raisins, cherries, plums, and dates. A slice of butterscotch. An old-timey well-aged rummish, or cognac quality. Again, similar to my impressions of bourbons from that era. These subdue the spiciness of this high rye bourbon, almost to the point of making it non-existent. Thick, chewy, and with a wonderful old polished oak backbone. Itís reminiscent of squeaky, polished oak floors in an old, well preserved house or museum. It gives the ND immense depth, and perfectly prevents the dark fruit from overwhelming.

The Beam 114 is all luscious, decadent burnt corner of the brownie pan. Itís this characteristic that has led me to adore this whiskey, so. Interestingly enough, it is a characteristic that I have been getting with recent Heaven Hill BIBís over the last 1-1/2-2 years. Drier up front, but even so, it is silkier than the ND as it works its way over the tongue. It does not possess as complex an array of flavors as the ND, but by no means is it one-dimensional. There is more rye backbone with the Beam. The dark cocoa sparkles with the rye, and a nuttiness lurks near the end. But, for all of the dryness upon entry and crackling rye spice, the Beam flows over the palate in the silkiest manner. It builds in flavor, but never becomes overwhelming, like other barrel strengths can. In fact, unlike some other high proofers, this never needs the least bit water for me.

Finish: Both of these whiskies hold their finishes in the most professional way. Neither one cheats you at the end. As in all facets of these two, you get more than your moneyís worth as you sit in your easy chair and cherish the experience.

Summary: Really, these two whiskies are as different as different can be. I know the mashbill etc. was to have stayed the same, but I canít help to think there is something different. I think for one, itís the yeast. And heck, there are lots of variables that can enter after 25+ years. Personally, I enjoy the Beam version most. It just hits my sweet spot. But, I thoroughly enjoy the ND version, as well. Itís just a different type of bourbon. Mahogany on the front stage, Cheyenne on the back. Take your pick. ;)

wripvanwrinkle
03-31-2011, 18:42
Darn you Joe, this post snapped my resolve. I have impulsively snagged a bottle and am eager to give it a try.

Ok, smokinjoe was dead on with the "burnt brownie corner" description. It is there in the undiluted nose, and then again in the diluted finish.

I fully realize that I've probably been tricked by the power of suggestion...but for 20 USD a bottle I'm happy for the spell to last. Now I hope that Joe continues to use his powers for good, and doesn't trick me into thinking that I am a crowing rooster! :eek:

Gillman
04-01-2011, 04:04
Very good comparative notes, thanks for that!

Gary

Josh
04-01-2011, 04:51
Just my two cents...

I actually like the current 114 better than the ND 114s I've had. There's just too much butterscotch and fruit. To tweek Joe's famous description, to me the current 114 is more like a slightly burnt pan of blondies.

I don't think we need to jump to the conclusion that the conclusion that the yeast or mashbill have changed. Most of the color and flavor of a whiskey is from aging, so it stands to reason that a change in the aging enviroment or barrel specifications could have a dramtic impact on the whiskey. Also, if I had to guess, I would say the current 114 is several years younger than it was 20 years ago. Most of the ND 114s we are tasting now are "glut whiskey" and probably contain a lot of fairly old "juice" as Joe also likes to say.

smokinjoe
04-01-2011, 04:53
Ok, smokinjoe was dead on with the "burnt brownie corner" description. It is there in the undiluted nose, and then again in the diluted finish.

I fully realize that I've probably been tricked by the power of suggestion...but for 20 USD a bottle I'm happy for the spell to last. Now I hope that Joe continues to use his powers for good, and doesn't trick me into thinking that I am a crowing rooster! :eek:

Ha! I'm sure you're safe, Rip! I can't even get my daughter's sheltie to sit. :D

SMOWK
04-01-2011, 08:40
If anyone has an ND OGD 114 please PM me.

StraightBoston
04-01-2011, 13:06
ND (at any proof) > Beam 114 > Beam BIB > Beam 86.

To Chuck's point, Basil Hayden slots in ahead of the current 114, but only if someone else is buying... (Why oh why couldn't they have bottled that at 90+?)

SBOmarc
04-01-2011, 13:11
The BH at 80 proof was not made for us. The bartenders that I have spoken to call it "chick whiskey". That is there term, not mine.

Beam is using it and Ri 1 to promote cocktails made from whiskey to compete with the vodka drinkers that spend big bucks on martini variants and shooters.

I have not seen this as successful on either coast, for either pour.

As for this thread, count me in for OGD 114 and the BiB.

Brisko
04-01-2011, 14:59
Not having ever tasted the ND product, I can't speak to the differences or similarities there. Although I be curious to know if the early Beam product was more or less comparable to the ND product than today's.

One thing that I get every time I try the 114 is oats, lots of them, straight from the feed bag. With water, it develops more into honeyed oat cakes.

Shaken with ice and a touch of orange bitters, and garnished with an orange slice and a cherry, is a nice change of pace to drinking it neat, btw.

MTBottle
04-01-2011, 18:49
114 was one of my favorites in the $20 price range. I bought about 10 bottles of it when PA discontinued it about 3 years ago. I was on the PLCB website a couple of weeks ago and was glad and to see they brought it back to the PA state stores again, even though it's now $25. With all the talk lately about our new governor privatizing the liquor stores maybe they thought it was time to actually improve their bourbon selection and add some bourbons to their shelves rather than continually shrinking our tiny selection.

And it couldn't have come at a better time...I was down to my last bottle!

Mark

SMOWK
04-01-2011, 22:38
Not having ever tasted the ND product, I can't speak to the differences or similarities there. Although I be curious to know if the early Beam product was more or less comparable to the ND product than today's.

One thing that I get every time I try the 114 is oats, lots of them, straight from the feed bag. With water, it develops more into honeyed oat cakes.

I have found that early Beam products are more comparable to ND OGD than any current OGD or Beam products. They both have a thick, sweet, syrupy, buttery goodness.

I totally agree on the current 114. Always lots of grain and oats all the way through. Quite unique when compared to other high-proof Beam products.

Rughi
04-02-2011, 10:42
I have found that early Beam products are more comparable to ND OGD than any current OGD or Beam products. They both have a thick, sweet, syrupy, buttery goodness.

I agree on that. Beam considerably changed to that grassier, lighter-bodied character sometime in the late '80s, I think.

Funny, if I were to compare it, I would have said that '70s Beam reminded me of '70s Forester: the heavier body, the brown sugars and especially the rummy sweetness.

Come to think of it, it seems to me that Beam and Forester both changed from similar profiles - at about the same time - to similarly lightened and less perfumy house styles. Maybe it was the raising of still/barrel proofs in the mid-80s that changed both of them, as Mike Veach has suggested of Forester.

Roger

cigarnv
04-02-2011, 12:09
I am huge fan of the older 114 yet still enjoy the current 114 offering on occasion.

Rughi
04-02-2011, 13:28
Some of the Beam 114's are awesome, but there's a lot of batch to batch variation. Luckily, I think Beam is on a roll more often than not in recent years.

Which reminds me, time for a new 114.

SBOmarc
04-02-2011, 15:02
I went out and bought one today! Ooops..that's another thread.

tmckenzie
04-02-2011, 16:44
I agree on that. Beam considerably changed to that grassier, lighter-bodied character sometime in the late '80s, I think.

Funny, if I were to compare it, I would have said that '70s Beam reminded me of '70s Forester: the heavier body, the brown sugars and especially the rummy sweetness.

Come to think of it, it seems to me that Beam and Forester both changed from similar profiles - at about the same time - to similarly lightened and less perfumy house styles. Maybe it was the raising of still/barrel proofs in the mid-80s that changed both of them, as Mike Veach has suggested of Forester.

Roger

I think it could be that the were trying to reduce ec levels which I have read were a problem that came to light then. I do not know a whole lot about ec, but Chuck could probably fill in the blanks.

T Comp
04-02-2011, 21:52

Roger

Me too. And Roger really hits it on the head with these three descriptors of heavier body, brown sugar and rum as exactly what separates the old from the new with those two brands. I would add Wild Turkey up to 1995 as also having more body and rum flavor than after that time (and more delicous). With Old Grand Dad I don't notice as much of the difference between the old and new and like Josh, seem to prefer the Beam made, but never done a side by side like others here have. The Old Crow and Old Taylor from National Distillers is certainly more predominant in estery fruits, lavender and for OT, butterscotch, which I guess also comes down to the difference in still and entry proof.

Enoch
04-03-2011, 04:35
Todays Old Taylor and Old Crow taste like Jim Beam White only 6 (OT) and 3 (OC) years old. The place I get the ND OGD also has ND OT 86 proof and ND OC 4 years and 6 years. Both are excellent pours. And it is still priced with the sticker that was put on the bottle when it came into the store. They don't use UPC only a cash box.

Enoch
04-03-2011, 04:45
ALso, Does anyone know how long the current and ND OGDs are/were aged? Is there a difference.

White Dog
04-03-2011, 16:37
The ND OGD 86 handles I've found were better than any Beam releases, IMHO.

That being said, I'm a 114 man. Love the stuff and it's $21.99 in my parts. Can't beat that.:cool: (My last couple bottles of BIB tasted a bit "new-makey" to me.)

FWIW, 114 is the only Beam product I'll spend my money on, unless I'm stuck in one of the many bars/restaurants that only stock Beam.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As I said in a poorly stocked bar last Friday, "Gimme a Maker's neat, just so I can hate on it."

Parkersback
04-03-2011, 16:51
114 is the only Beam product I'll spend my money on, unless I'm stuck in one of the many bars/restaurants that only stock Beam.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As I said in a poorly stocked bar last Friday, "Gimme a Maker's neat, just so I can hate on it."

The next time that happens, consider giving Bakers or Knob Creek a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Or maybe not. But my last few pours of Bakers were syrupy sweet and warm, good stuff.

SMOWK
04-03-2011, 17:20
My last couple bottles of BIB tasted a bit "new-makey" to me.

So I'm not the only one. Take that Squire! :cool: The bottles released in the past 6 months to a year have been odd to me. I've been frequenting a different store than usual to buy my 1.75 OGDBIBs. If only because they still have orange tops on them. Maybe the orange top is like a placebo..?? Who knows. But the point is, I think it's different, so it is.

squire
04-03-2011, 17:25
Alright, alright, I'll give the 114 another dance, if I don't like the clumsy cork I can always decant it into a BIB bottle.

White Dog
04-03-2011, 18:06
The next time that happens, consider giving Bakers or Knob Creek a shot. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Or maybe not. But my last few pours of Bakers were syrupy sweet and warm, good stuff.

I've had every Beam product multiple times. I do think that Baker's is the best of the "Small Batch" series. (The batch is so small it's on every back-bar in America.:lol: :lol:)

squire
04-03-2011, 19:15
An exclusive batch perhaps, only those with a checkbook can stock it.

Bourbon Boiler
10-29-2011, 11:54
I had my first 114 last night, and I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan. I just didn't get a lot of complexity. Granted, I'd had a few Eagle Rare 10 yo before I opened the bottle, so my pallate wasn't at its sharpest and I tasted the proof increase more than anything else. I'll give it another shot in a few days, but I had hoped for a little more complexity. It's not like it was horrible, I would just rather spend another $5-$10 and go elsewhere.

bad_scientist
10-29-2011, 12:50
I've read in this thread that old OGDs had some butterscotch notes. I only have 2 "dusties" - an '88 Old Forester and '92 OF Prime - and they both have butterscotch notes, even though they don't exactly share much else in their profiles. I haven't tasted this with any other bourbon I've tried. I wonder - is this partly bottle aging, or something about the "old" way of making whiskey, or just a coincidence?

BTW, I am in love with OGD BIB. I had it for the first time last week and found it to be absolutely delicious. That thick rye note in it just hit the spot. Is that also in the ND bottlings?

mosugoji64
10-29-2011, 14:43
I had my first 114 last night, and I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan. I just didn't get a lot of complexity. Granted, I'd had a few Eagle Rare 10 yo before I opened the bottle, so my pallate wasn't at its sharpest and I tasted the proof increase more than anything else. I'll give it another shot in a few days, but I had hoped for a little more complexity. It's not like it was horrible, I would just rather spend another $5-$10 and go elsewhere.

Definitely give it another visit. That one has become a favorite of mine and of a friend (who previously hated everything Beam!). It's one of the great bargains in bourbon IMO. :grin:

T Comp
10-29-2011, 14:59
I've read in this thread that old OGDs had some butterscotch notes. I only have 2 "dusties" - an '88 Old Forester and '92 OF Prime - and they both have butterscotch notes, even though they don't exactly share much else in their profiles. I haven't tasted this with any other bourbon I've tried. I wonder - is this partly bottle aging, or something about the "old" way of making whiskey, or just a coincidence?

That '88 Old Forester (especially if BIB from DSP 414) should have a lot of rum taste to it also. Numerous posts here and theories as to taste difference of dusties. Glut barrelled bourbon in the '70s and '80s created much longer aging plus there was often lower distilling and entry proof. Many other variables including whiskey makers own manipulation too.

Flyfish
10-29-2011, 15:37
Some of the Beam 114's are awesome, but there's a lot of batch to batch variation. Luckily, I think Beam is on a roll more often than not in recent years.

Which reminds me, time for a new 114.

How are you tracking the "batch to batch variation"? Every bottle I have seen claims to be "Lot 1."

kyrocklover
10-29-2011, 15:43
I prefer a 2 part BIB 1 part 114 blend. Changes the proof to about 105 but seems to hit a taste profile that I really like. Straight up I like the BIB better.

I have a half full handle of BIB in a bottle dated 1988 that is overbalanced with citrus in the nose that you can smell across the room. Combined with the rye spice and long finish it is absolutely my favorite bottle of bourbon I currently have in stock. I look forward to the day when I find another similar one so I can enjoy it more often.

Nice topic.

bad_scientist
10-29-2011, 16:13
That '88 Old Forester (especially if BIB from DSP 414) should have a lot of rum taste to it also. Numerous posts here and theories as to taste difference of dusties. Glut barrelled bourbon in the '70s and '80s created much longer aging plus there was often lower distilling and entry proof. Many other variables including whiskey makers own manipulation too.

Oh yeah, rum is a big part of it. Just had some and got that big time.

Happy Halloween weekend everyone! I can't think of a better pour than OGD and that crazy orange label for this occasion!

ThomasH
10-29-2011, 18:40
OGD 114 is available about 45 minutes from here while BIB is available 2 miles from here. It I'm in the area and my supply is low, I get 114, otherwise I drink BIB!

Thomas

spy247
10-30-2011, 23:25
BIB is my favourite. The 114 gets respect also.

StraightNoChaser
11-02-2011, 10:34
Maybe the OGD connoisseurs can help me decide if it's worth picking up some old bottles I saw! One was a 1.75L of OGB86 8yr with a faux strip on the cap. Said Frankfort on the bottle. Also saw a couple bonded OGD with Frankfort on the bottle (DSPKY14 I think). Would these be worth getting? Always been interested in old school OGD...

Josh
11-02-2011, 11:25
Maybe the OGD connoisseurs can help me decide if it's worth picking up some old bottles I saw! One was a 1.75L of OGB86 8yr with a faux strip on the cap. Said Frankfort on the bottle. Also saw a couple bonded OGD with Frankfort on the bottle (DSPKY14 I think). Would these be worth getting? Always been interested in old school OGD...

Yes. If they say Frankfort but not Clermont, they're ND and definately worth trying. Of course faux tax stamp and the 8 y/o age statement indicate the same, iinm.

StraightNoChaser
11-02-2011, 11:31
Guess I will have to go back for 'em next time I'm in that part of town

Parkersback
11-02-2011, 11:51
Guess I will have to go back for 'em next time I'm in that part of town

You will not regret it.

White Dog
11-02-2011, 12:01

Do not hesitate to buy! ND era OGD is outstanding, IMHO.

SMOWK
11-02-2011, 12:25
Finding ND OGD for a reasonable price in a store is on par with finding a bottle of 2002 Stagg on a shelf.

Bourbon Boiler
11-02-2011, 18:51

I'm trying again with a fresh tounge, and it's a little better, but I just can't get into it. There's an odd flavor intitially on the finish that I can't identify, but that I don't find plesant.

bad_scientist
06-08-2012, 23:18
Beam told me back in the late 1980s that they had retained the OGD yeast and mash bill. Among others, I was told this by Booker Noe. I have not, however, asked them to renew the pledge annually.

In that case, the only difference would be the distillery, which is a big difference. I don't know this for sure but it's possible OGD is still aged at the Frankfort plant that was called Old Grand-Dad before Beam bought it.

Sorry to rehash things, but I did a tasting of '80-'88 8 year old OGD BiB, '88 OGD 86, '93 OGD 86, and current BiB. The current tastes like Beam, while the others taste like rye/butterscotch. I thought that the OGD BiB from just 5 years ago (the last one I had) was a lot more rye-forward and not so yeasty/vegetal. This new stuff is a good mixing bourbon, but it's hardly worth drinking neat. I just remember major differences a few years back - anyone else notice a big shi(f)t? If so, when?

ratcheer
06-09-2012, 08:27
The current tastes like Beam, while the others taste like rye/butterscotch.

My son's everyday pour is Beam white label. One of mine is OGD 86. The other night, we did a direct comparison. I did not find them at all similar. We both preferred the OGD, hands down. Maybe I have convinced him to switch.

And this is just regular current OGD, straight from the store.

Tim

bad_scientist
06-09-2012, 08:30
My son's everyday pour is Beam white label. One of mine is OGD 86. The other night, we did a direct comparison. I did not find them at all similar. We both preferred the OGD, hands down. Maybe I have convinced him to switch.

Tim

More like it was Beam yeast that I got, the profile I find in all Beams including Knob Creek. Also, my bottle is from 2012. The last one I had didn't taste at all like this one.

Max Power
06-09-2012, 08:33
I've only had the 114, but for the price, it my be my favorite. It's a very good bourbon.

RobP_n_TN
06-09-2012, 09:41
Yes. If they say Frankfort but not Clermont, they're ND and definately worth trying. Of course faux tax stamp and the 8 y/o age statement indicate the same, iinm.

When did Old Grand-Dad move from ND to Beam?
I picked up a 86 proof 375ml from a store that had a bunch of old stock. The bottle has 96 embossed on the bottom and the back label is marked Frankfort-Clermont, KY with a Beam UPC 80686. Is this Beam produced or possibly transition juice?

Is Beam marked "Clermont, KY" only and ND marked "Frankfort, KY" only?
I'm curious about the hyphenated town location on the 86 proof bottle.
I have a new BIB marked "Clermont, KY DSP-320."

Rob

SMOWK
06-09-2012, 10:11
anyone else notice a big shi(f)t? If so, when?

I noticed the shift when they went from the OGDBIB handles with orange screw tops and curvy hand grips to the bottle with an actual handle and a black screw top.

bad_scientist
06-09-2012, 11:51
I noticed the shift when they went from the OGDBIB handles with orange screw tops and curvy hand grips to the bottle with an actual handle and a black screw top.

...and that's what I bought. The black screw top, while all my others were orange and much more delicious. I've never bunkered anything, but I believe I'll do it this once and get all the orange top OGDs I can find.

ethangsmith
06-09-2012, 14:37
The BIB is phenomenal for the price, but the 114 is heavenly. I'll give the 86 another go in a few days. Wasn't impressed last time, but that doesn't mean I won't be this time. I like to try everything twice before I give it a thumbs up or thumbs down.

spy247
06-09-2012, 17:06
The BIB for me over the 86 and 114. I've only had the orange screw top range.

Rutherford
06-09-2012, 19:15
Current Beam BiB is fantastic, and one of my everyday pours. 114 is good, but too high of proof, and doesn't taste as good to me even when watered down.

bllygthrd
06-09-2012, 20:09
Damn ... wish I had read this thread before I made my trip to Ashland, KY today ... saw a bottle of the 114, and didn't bite. Really enjoy the BIB ...

Coulda, shoulda, woulda ... My wife told me to get the 114, but I didn't want to appear too greedy ... I was holding out for a bottle of Rock Hill Farms.

mosugoji64
06-09-2012, 21:01
My wife told me to get the 114, but I didn't want to appear too greedy

Dude, when your wife tells you to buy a bottle, do not hesitate! :lol:

LostBottle
06-09-2012, 21:08
I prefer to hang out on the front porch people-watching with the old pervy grand-dad and a 114 to keep things interesting. ;)

edo
06-11-2012, 04:17
Maybe Friday I'll run a three or four taster blind experiment with these:
OGD 114
OGD BIB
OGD 86
OGD 86 Hong Kong import (possibly dusty, I found it a couple years ago, but the label appeared old at the time)

I was also thinking of throwing another Beamer into the group. What do y'all think?

Bookers?
Bakers?
Knob Creek?
Beam Black 8, or Green label?

...or something completely different .... Blanton's? Weller 107?

or not. Just leave it at the 4 OGDs?

Also, I could arrange it so we would go up in proof so as not to shock the taste buds, but in that case it won't be blind for me.

Any suggestions?

JPBoston
06-11-2012, 11:40
I've read thru the thread, as this topic intrigues me. I've seen several posts asking for the reason WHY 'you' prefer either BiB or 114. I'd really like to see some opinions on this as well. I'm thinking of getting either one as my next bottle, so some tasting notes between the two would be great to read.

Maybe Friday I'll run a three or four taster blind experiment with these:
OGD 114
OGD BIB
OGD 86
OGD 86 Hong Kong import (possibly dusty, I found it a couple years ago, but the label appeared old at the time)

I was also thinking of throwing another Beamer into the group. What do y'all think?

Bookers?
Bakers?
Knob Creek?
Beam Black 8, or Green label?

...or something completely different .... Blanton's? Weller 107?

or not. Just leave it at the 4 OGDs?

Also, I could arrange it so we would go up in proof so as not to shock the taste buds, but in that case it won't be blind for me.

Any suggestions?

Looking forward to it! My pick of the options provided would be Weller 107, seeing as its in the same price range... also interesting since it's a wheater, and OGD is heavy on the rye.

My other choice would be Buffalo Trace, since its price is directly between BiB and 114, and also has a decent amount of rye compared to others.

Brisko
06-11-2012, 13:10
I've read thru the thread, as this topic intrigues me. I've seen several posts asking for the reason WHY 'you' prefer either BiB or 114. I'd really like to see some opinions on this as well. I'm thinking of getting either one as my next bottle, so some tasting notes between the two would be great to read.

Well, in the year-plus since I started the thread, I've worked my way through several bottles of both.

I prefer the 114 to the BiB. The 114 has more depth of flavor and finishes a bit drier (in a good way). When I say more depth of flavor, I mean more burnt brownie, more cinnamon, and more oats and grain type flavors. I used to get a little orange oil but my newest bottle doesn't seem to have it.

The BiB is less complex but the rye comes through more strongly. Recent bottles seem more Beamey to me, too. In fact it reminds me more than a little of Beam rye (not a good thing, though I don't mind Beam rye as a rule). The finish is less elegant and less satisfying. I also get some weird perfumey notes if I add water or let it open up for a while. I think this may be related to what others are calling "white dog."

I should point out that even adjusted for proof the 114 still has the edge. I'd say that it drinks better at 90 proof than the BiB does uncut. That said, I prefer it neat. Finally, the 114 seems to open up my sinuses quickly when I have a cold. None of my other high proof bourbons work as well. So the 114 is my go-to cold medicine.

With all that said, I have to go out of my way to buy the 114, so sometimes I get the BiB out of convenience. The BiB makes for a very good mixer/house bourbon.

Flyfish
06-11-2012, 15:13
"With all that said, I have to go out of my way to buy the 114, so sometimes I get the BiB out of convenience. The BiB makes for a very good mixer/house bourbon."--per Brisko.

I.too, prefer the OGD 114 but going out of my way means going to KY from Northern Ohio. So, when I'm in KY I buy 114. When I'm stuck in OH, I settle for the BIB. Most of the time, I am quite willing to "settle." What I object to is the ability of the liquor control gods in OH to determine what I have access to.

The Boozer
06-11-2012, 15:35
Either BiB or 114. Love 'em both.

Young Blacksmith
06-11-2012, 16:08
I have not tried 114, but it's on the short list.

I had a chance to try new production OGD 86 up against a liter of ND OGD 86, and they were surprisingly comparable. The ND had that great butterscotch rye, but the beam was a decent second place.

ebo
06-11-2012, 16:23
"With all that said, I have to go out of my way to buy the 114, so sometimes I get the BiB out of convenience. The BiB makes for a very good mixer/house bourbon."--per Brisko.

I.too, prefer the OGD 114 but going out of my way means going to KY from Northern Ohio. So, when I'm in KY I buy 114. When I'm stuck in OH, I settle for the BIB. Most of the time, I am quite willing to "settle." What I object to is the ability of the liquor control gods in OH to determine what I have access to.

I hear ya.

hectic1
06-11-2012, 18:05
Running the entire ND OGD lineup tonight...started with some 1986 OGD 86, followed that up with some 75-83 OGD BIB, and gonna finish with some 1981 ND OGD 114.:cool:

Kalessin
06-11-2012, 20:57
I haven't bought OGD in years, and only recently picked up a 114. Long ago, I liked both the 86 and BiB, but I haven't tried the modern versions yet.

The 114 is quite decent neat, with a single cube, or mixed into a Manhattan (which I like fairly sweet and strong). I'd buy it again and again at the store where I found it for $20.

c2walker
06-11-2012, 21:09
Running the entire ND OGD lineup tonight...started with some 1986 OGD 86, followed that up with some 75-83 OGD BIB, and gonna finish with some 1981 ND OGD 114.:cool:

And the winner is....

AaronWF
06-11-2012, 21:23
And the winner is....

Duh. It's Bob!

I bought one bottle of the BiB and liked it well enough, but not really well enough to go back for another bottle. I recently opened my first 114, and again, I like it well enough for when I'm in the mood. Like when I'm REALLY thirsty.

Some of the best bourbon I've tasted came from a '73 bottle of OGD86. Aggressively mellow with caramel-cinnamon-vanilla and the most hypnotizing rye sparkle on the finish. And a faded price tag that said $5.99.

LikeItWasSodaPop
06-11-2012, 21:26
Hectic was kind enough to share these three Granddaddies (or at least their ilk) a couple weeks ago with AaronWF and me. I've been lucky enough to find a decent amount of the mid 80's OGD 86, and it was great as expected. The age stated BIB was fantastic. But the 114 was f'ing awesome -- by far my favorite. I'm sure the "wow" factor of trying it for the first time influenced me to some degree (I've never seen ND OGD 114 or even knew it existed).

The key to such gatherings is to have a VERY good friend who will drive you to the location, then carry you to the car after you've sufficiently imbibed, then put up with your half-asleep mumblings and drool production on the car ride home.

SB friends: you can't beat 'em.

Meanwhile ... I'm sampling some ND OGD 86 with the black wide screw cap. I got two from a shady shop on the south side and the first one started out NASTY. I found a weird white bug inside the screw cap. I'm sure that said bug couldn't have actually entered the whiskey given that the screw cap was, well, screwed and, as such, should have created a barrier of some sort. It seems this poor creature just liked hanging out inside this OGD screw cap. Perhaps he went there to die. But seeing this guy as I open the screw cap (he's kinda stuck in one of the crevices, deep in there) grosses me out. I should respect this bug, he spent his last days presumably inhaling ND OGD vapors. But the fact remains that the bugless one tastes great and the bug funeral home one tastes off. I'm going to flush him out with some water and hope some air time "fixes" this one.

Happy OGD drinking, all.

jcg9779
06-11-2012, 22:08

Tim

Attaboy Tim! Get him away from that JBW stuff!

VT Mike
06-12-2012, 07:59
The BIB is my favorite of the three, but just slightly ahead of the 114.

I wrote a blog post comparing all three back in March
http://thewhiskeyroom.blogspot.com/2012/03/old-grand-dad.html

T Comp
06-12-2012, 08:18
Meanwhile ... I'm sampling some ND OGD 86 with the black wide screw cap. I got two from a shady shop on the south side and the first one started out NASTY. I found a weird white bug inside the screw cap. I'm sure that said bug couldn't have actually entered the whiskey given that the screw cap was, well, screwed and, as such, should have created a barrier of some sort. It seems this poor creature just liked hanging out inside this OGD screw cap. Perhaps he went there to die. But seeing this guy as I open the screw cap (he's kinda stuck in one of the crevices, deep in there) grosses me out. I should respect this bug, he spent his last days presumably inhaling ND OGD vapors. But the fact remains that the bugless one tastes great and the bug funeral home one tastes off. I'm going to flush him out with some water and hope some air time "fixes" this one.

That tops the roach that popped out of the Old Fitz cardboard box on me while in a similar type store and location several years ago. Scared the shit out of me and almost dropped the damn bottle. I have found some dead small bugs or spiders in other boxes too but never anything in the cap. Screw the air you probably need some lye to fix that one :grin:.

Restaurant man
06-15-2012, 22:26
The ND OGD 86 handles I've found were better than any Beam releases, IMHO.

That being said, I'm a 114 man. Love the stuff and it's $21.99 in my parts. Can't beat that.:cool: (My last couple bottles of BIB tasted a bit "new-makey" to me.)

FWIW, 114 is the only Beam product I'll spend my money on, unless I'm stuck in one of the many bars/restaurants that only stock Beam.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Like many I am a 114 man. Wish I was sitting next to you at the bar when u said that.. Would have laughed my a$$ off!

JPBoston
06-17-2012, 11:37
Well, in the year-plus since I started the thread, I've worked my way through several bottles of both.

I prefer the 114 to the BiB. The 114 has more depth of flavor and finishes a bit drier (in a good way). When I say more depth of flavor, I mean more burnt brownie, more cinnamon, and more oats and grain type flavors. I used to get a little orange oil but my newest bottle doesn't seem to have it.

The BiB is less complex but the rye comes through more strongly. Recent bottles seem more Beamey to me, too. In fact it reminds me more than a little of Beam rye (not a good thing, though I don't mind Beam rye as a rule). The finish is less elegant and less satisfying. I also get some weird perfumey notes if I add water or let it open up for a while. I think this may be related to what others are calling "white dog."

I should point out that even adjusted for proof the 114 still has the edge. I'd say that it drinks better at 90 proof than the BiB does uncut. That said, I prefer it neat. Finally, the 114 seems to open up my sinuses quickly when I have a cold. None of my other high proof bourbons work as well. So the 114 is my go-to cold medicine.

With all that said, I have to go out of my way to buy the 114, so sometimes I get the BiB out of convenience. The BiB makes for a very good mixer/house bourbon.

Thanks for the in-depth reply! Sorry you had to be the one to give the best answer to your own question a year later, though.

I got a bottle of OGD BiB for father's day (a bit early, wife gave it to me last night)... and my first pour was very good. I did get a hint of that Beam funk that you and others have mentioned, but for my dollar, OGD is miles ahead of JBB . Also in agreement that the rye spice dominates, but for me, that's a good thing. Buffalo Trace is one of my favorites, and OGD BiB is the first bourbon to really remind of BT. I must be a rye fan... I should get around to trying an actual Rye Whiskey one of these days, lol.

I'll keep the 114 on my short list as well... looking forward to comparing the two.