PDA

View Full Version : New from Southwest Florida

Askabutcher
04-06-2011, 13:49
Howdy from SWFL....a sunny 83 today :cool:

I do a lot of BBQ and my fair share of bourbon. My preference right now is Evan Williams 1783 and Single Barrel. When I'm giddy, I'll go for some Knob Creek or Woodford.

Bought some Costco brand bourbon the other day and while researching it, I came across this forum http://primogrillforum.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Anyhoo, figured I better check in before I post my findings in the Costco thread.

Cheers.........:drink:

OscarV
04-06-2011, 13:51
Dude welcome aboard and you are good to go, post away, how's that Costco?

Oh, btw, keep those good weather reports to yourself, we had snow here in MI yesterday.

Askabutcher
04-06-2011, 14:37
how's that Costco?

For the price you can't beat it.

Btw, I added the COLA to the Costco thread.

fishnbowljoe
04-06-2011, 15:02
Welcome to SB Steve. If you want to learn more about bourbon, this is the place. Where in SW Florida are you from? I was just down in Marco Island a couple of weeks ago. Wish I could have brought the weather home with me to Illinois. :rolleyes: Cheers! Joe

Askabutcher
04-06-2011, 15:04
Welcome to SB Steve. If you want to learn more about bourbon, this is the place. Where in SW Florida are you from? I was just down in Marco Island a couple of weeks ago. Wish I could have brought the weather home with me to Illinois. :rolleyes: Cheers! Joe

Joe, the Ft. Myers area.

Thanks for the welcome.

Josh
04-06-2011, 19:08
You've had more good posts already than a lot of members have in years!

Welcome! I have no connection to SW Florida other than the fact that my wife's grandparents lived in Naples for the last 20+ years of their lives so I got a chance to get to know how beautiful that part of Florida is.

Great to have you aboard, and while I've got you on the line, I do have something I'd like to askabutcher. Why is a pork shoulder called a butt?

Parkersback
04-06-2011, 21:39
Greetings, and welcome, friend!

Askabutcher
04-07-2011, 02:58
Great to have you aboard, and while I've got you on the line, I do have something I'd like to askabutcher. Why is a pork shoulder called a butt?

Wayyyyy back when, 1600 and 1700's, the pig processors in Boston would pack the pork shoulder's in wooden barrels (also called butts) for shipping. When they arrived at their destination, the longshoremen would say, "Here comes the Boston Butts". Eventually shortened to "butt".

Thanks every one for the warm welcome.

tehbeardman
04-07-2011, 05:07
Welcome aboard Steve. I too enjoy BBQing (I have a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker) and I also love some bourbon. Be prepared to have your bourbon mind blown, as you will learn there is a lot of great bourbon just waiting for you to grab :cool:

Stop by the chat room when you can. It's the link at the top of the main page called The Gazebo. That's how a lot of us get to know each other. You can check and see who is in chat at the bottom of the same main forum page where it says 'Who is currently using Flashchat'.

Welcome and have fun.

Inthewater
04-07-2011, 10:24
Hey, welcome aboard. So much info here. My bit of advice, taken from someone else, wait to dig into the pricey stuff until you have a decent appreciation for it.

Unless you have the cash and don't care, then drink up.

I am slowly building myself up to purchase some mid-level stuff in the coming months. i just don't want to spend my money on it if i don't really understand it.

I do, however, prescribe to hitting a bar with a great bourbon selection and trying them there.

:D

Askabutcher
04-07-2011, 10:34
I do, however, prescribe to hitting a bar with a great bourbon selection and trying them there.

:D

Thanks for the welcome!!

A buddy and I did just that a few years ago in Key West. While the wives went shopping we hit a bar with all the "small batch" bourbons and a few more. Unfortunately, at $12 a pop (expensive at the time), we didn't do as much 'tasting' as we did 'pounding' :bigeyes: Luckily our hotel was practically across the street.

To date I have not spent over $49 on a bourbon, as I'm content with EWB, EWSB, Knob Creek and now the Costco Bourbon. But, as I'm learning more here, some of the $$$$$ bourbons certainly do look more interesting than they did before.

squire
04-07-2011, 12:47
Hey Steve, welcome aboard. I'm with you man, BBQ and Bourbon are two of the four major food groups.

Askabutcher
04-07-2011, 13:45
Hey Steve, welcome aboard. I'm with you man, BBQ and Bourbon are two of the four major food groups.

Yes'sir .....beer and bacon rounding off the group http://primogrillforum.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Virus_Of_Life
04-07-2011, 13:58
Wayyyyy back when, 1600 and 1700's, the pig processors in Boston would pack the pork shoulder's in wooden barrels (also called butts) for shipping. When they arrived at their destination, the longshoremen would say, "Here comes the Boston Butts". Eventually shortened to "butt".

Thanks every one for the warm welcome.

Learn something new everyday! Wow, thanks for sharing that and welcome to the board.

I'd always thought being a butcher and having your own shop would be one of the coolest and most manly occupations ever. Seemed like a place other men would like to hang out, drink some bourbon and shoot the breeze; kind of like a barber shop only better!

Cheers!
Christian

Askabutcher
04-07-2011, 14:19
I'd always thought being a butcher and having your own shop would be one of the coolest and most manly occupations ever. Seemed like a place other men would like to hang out, drink some bourbon and shoot the breeze; kind of like a barber shop only better!

Cheers!
Christian

It was!!! Deals were made with a handshake and a snort :)

Not in it any more, but wish I was. It's a dying art :(

Inthewater
04-07-2011, 15:01
It was!!! Deals were made with a handshake and a snort :)

Not in it any more, but wish I was. It's a dying art :(

This is so true, I'd like to think that a good butcher shop could really clean up around town, but then everyone's a cheap ass that goes to WalMart or some other big store and hoses the little guy.

A good Butcher is a dying breed.

MJL
04-16-2011, 21:22
Welcome fellow Floridian!

Askabutcher
04-19-2011, 06:18
Welcome fellow Floridian!

Back at'cha! I pass thru your neck of the woods 3-4 times a year on my way to the Keys (via Cardsound Rd).