PDA

View Full Version : What type of glass do you drink your bourbon in?

autiger23
04-06-2011, 13:31
Looking at some new one's and looks like ill shoot for a 4 pack of the Glencairn whiskey glass for $28. I am guessing a good percentage on here use that as glass of choice?

Right now I use a couple four roses whiskey glasses I picked up at their distillery back in the fall visit. Pretty good but not great for helping the nose. Havent seen a thread strictly on this so figured why not start one. If there is, I apologize just did not see one in a search.

2highcal
04-06-2011, 13:47
I used to just use a tumbler or a short glass that came in a gift pack, until my step daughter got me 2 of the Glencairn whiskey glasses with a celtic C on them for Christmas and then I bought 2 more from the Woodinville Whiskey Co because they were on special for $12 a pair through the Living Social

callmeox
04-06-2011, 13:48
Heres a closed glassware thread that we can probably build on.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1848

cowdery
04-06-2011, 14:46
I use the Glencairn most of the time and find it very good. Lots of people sell them, so shop around for the best price. Most of mine have come from attending WhiskeyFest, where you get one as part of the cost of admission. Since they always have that year's logo on them, Malt Advocate will sometimes clear out leftovers from previous years at very good prices.

barturtle
04-06-2011, 14:54
I prefer a clean one, but in a pinch...

RyanL
04-06-2011, 15:26
Looking at some new one's and looks like ill shoot for a 4 pack of the Glencairn whiskey glass for $28. I am guessing a good percentage on here use that as glass of choice?

Right now I use a couple four roses whiskey glasses I picked up at their distillery back in the fall visit. Pretty good but not great for helping the nose. Havent seen a thread strictly on this so figured why not start one. If there is, I apologize just did not see one in a search.

Found a 6pack on amazon a few weeks ago for $33 I think it was so check there first.

tehbeardman
04-06-2011, 20:00
Lately I've been using a stemmed sine tasting glass that my local grocery store had for a wine tasting event. It only cost me $3. It has some branding on it but for the price I couldn't resist. It's very similar to a Port Wine glass.

T Comp
04-06-2011, 21:44
I use mostly a Glencairn but occasionally a smaller type snifter made for Asbach Uralt brandy. The snifters were special ordered from Germany years ago, by my deceased father in law, for his restaurant. They have very thin glass and enhance the smell of the pour but that thin glass means I'm down to three and now have sentimental value too.

OscarV
04-07-2011, 12:24
I have several types that I like and use for different occasions and moods.

Click on thumbnail pic below.
Left to right;

O-Riedel
Brandy snifter
Scotch nosing glass
Canadian Whiskey glass
Four Roses gift box glass
Wild Turkey gift box glass
Collins glass

I use all seven for drinking neat and some (Canadian and Collins) for on the rocks.

(Later Edit)---I forgot to include one of my original favorites, my Roly-Poly glass which is also excellent for sipping neat.

Enoch
04-08-2011, 05:13
I use the Glencairn most of the time and find it very good. Lots of people sell them, so shop around for the best price. Most of mine have come from attending WhiskeyFest, where you get one as part of the cost of admission. Since they always have that year's logo on them, Malt Advocate will sometimes clear out leftovers from previous years at very good prices.

I just bought 24 Glencairn 2010 WhiskyFest glasses for $125. They threw in two hoodie sweatshirts, two T-shirt, two bar towels and 8 books. SO it was quite a deal. The deal changes each week.

Enoch
04-08-2011, 05:23
I just bought 24 Glencairn 2010 WhiskyFest glasses for $125. They threw in two hoodie sweatshirts, two T-shirt, two bar towels and 8 books. SO it was quite a deal. The deal changes each week.

And it's a good thing I got 24 because I have already dropped one on the porch! There seems to be a relationship between the amount of Bourbon I drink and the likelihood of dropping the glass!

unclebunk
04-08-2011, 06:01
I used to drink all of my bourbon out of a Glencairn glass but have switched over to a nice Four Roses glass that came with a gift set a few years back. Because I drink virtually all my whiskey neat, I prefer a smaller glass, as I have no need to make room for ice.

autiger23
04-08-2011, 07:01

Im guessing this will happen after ALL whiskeyfest are over?

I am on there now and see nothing, but likely looking in the wrong place. If you can shoot a link of the page then I would appreciate that! Thanks.

BourbonJoe
04-08-2011, 07:31
I've tried them all but still prefer a brandy snifter.
Joe :usflag:

Enoch
04-08-2011, 09:39
Im guessing this will happen after ALL whiskeyfest are over?

I am on there now and see nothing, but likely looking in the wrong place. If you can shoot a link of the page then I would appreciate that! Thanks.

It's actually on the Malt Advocate website:

http://www.maltadvocate.com/Shop.asp

autiger23
04-08-2011, 10:01
It's actually on the Malt Advocate website:

http://www.maltadvocate.com/Shop.asp

Ah gotcha, so went to the "hot deals" and please tell me if I am missing something here. Why would anyone get the set of 6 for $40 when you can get the $50 golfers special and get 6 more for $10 and a ton of other crap I really dont need. What am I missing?

The golfers one seems to be the most logical. I really have no need for 12 but....

OscarV
04-08-2011, 10:24
I've tried them all but still prefer a brandy snifter.
Joe :usflag:

That's my No 1 choice, a smallish one.

jsbac
04-08-2011, 10:32
My favorite WAS a brandy snifter (wife broke it awhile back and I have replaced it yet)... Post-break, various tumblers (one of my favs is from a Rare Breed gift set) when I drink bourbon on the rocks, otherwise Glencairn.

jsbac

smokinjoe
04-08-2011, 19:59
As I burrowed through my glass cabinet, and began pulling out my favorite “go-to” glasses, I came out with the following (pictured below). In general, I find that I prefer the smallish (8oz), squatty, cheap (most were either picked up at Sampler, or taken from Hotels :o), and those that offer a good grip. :

1. Reidel Bourbon Glass: The only one I actually purchased. :crazy: It’s my high-fallutin’ “Special Occasion Glass”, or my, “I’z a perfessional taster glass”

2. Hilton Hotel Bathroom Glass: Lifted from various Hilton’s throughout the country. Dang nice, and at the right price.

3. Buffalo Trace Glass: From previous Samplers. Similar to the Hilton glasses, but the raised /embossed buffalo gives a great grip.

4. Chateau Elan Resort Bathroom Glass: Lifted from Chateau Elan Winery Resort. Nice noser, smallish, and again, a great price.

5. Elijah Craig Glass: Another Sampler Glass. The wider opening is good if I feel like putting a few ice cubes in.

6. Woodford Reserve Glass: Sampler Glass. Very heavy, short, stout glass. This just has a great feel to it.

7. Bunny Cup: I bring this puppy out when I’m drinkin’ “juice”. ;)

cigarnv
04-09-2011, 04:47
If I get another glass my wife will have a fit. For me I like several basic styles depending on what I am tasting.... stylized snifter, flared rocks, small rocks and a small "O" style. I have moved away from larger glasses and never have been a fan of the Glencarin.. glass or crystal. Overall I tend to reach mostly for the snifter and the small "O" style.

TomH
04-09-2011, 05:41
If I know that I am just going to drink bourbon at home, I use the Reidel bourbon glass (I don't travel with it because of it fragility). If there's a possibility that I will also be going to the dark side (or if I'm traveling), the Glencairn is my glass of choice (Likewise, if I know it's just scotch and no bourbon, I bring out my Reidel Single Malt Glass).

Tom

Tennessee Dave
04-09-2011, 15:15
I use the Glencairn

callmeox
04-09-2011, 15:30
If I get another glass my wife will have a fit. For me I like several basic styles depending on what I am tasting.... stylized snifter, flared rocks, small rocks and a small "O" style. I have moved away from larger glasses and never have been a fan of the Glencarin.. glass or crystal. Overall I tend to reach mostly for the snifter and the small "O" style.

What's the logo on the glass on the far right? I don't recognize it. :skep:

stevegoz
04-10-2011, 12:20
I go with the Glencairn when sipping neat or a splash of spring water -- I have a few 2010 Whiskeyfest ones from Malt Advocate, a pair of the Old Forester Prohibition labeled glasses and a set of four plain ones.

For rocks, I reach for the Buffalo Trace rocks glasses with the raised buffalo on 'em.

Josh
04-10-2011, 13:38

Anybody else hear crickets?

nivto
04-10-2011, 18:55
That's my No 1 choice, a smallish one.

When it comes to serious tasting, I think I agree with you and Joe. I would actually like to purchase a higher quality snifter than the one I am using if you or anybody else has any suggestions.

For regular sipping my favorite glass is actually one that comes in a Woodford Reserve gift set, but is also sold by the glass at a local liquor store.

spy247
04-14-2011, 00:51
Its the Glencairn for me.

bourbon-n00b
04-14-2011, 09:38

My "April Showers" deal arrived today. 12 Glencairns, a zippered hoodie and the book "The World's Best Whiskies". Also thrown in was a WhiskyFest t-shirt and a second book, "The Business of Spirits".

Not too shabby for $70 :cool:

callmeox
04-15-2011, 18:24

Well, after not recognizing the logo (and being the inquisitive one) I turned to the favorite tool of the inquisitive: Google

Zooming in on the logo on the glass, it looked like 1789b to me. Among the noise, Google returns a site at http://1789b.com but without any information at all about it which is odd. Clicking the link takes you to a site with no index or landing page.

The trail goes cold.

The domain is registered through a Canadian host called Blacksun and the whois record looks generic with no real info, typical of anonymous hosting services. Still cold.

An IP address search shows two other sites at the same address, 1492c.com and savourezlavie.com. Neither load a default page either, so no luck here.

Back to Google...

Digging further through the search results for 1789b there's a reference back to a post by Hectic1 (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=230566&postcount=25) in the current Dusty Finds thread here on SB. The emoticons in that thread look normal, but they aren't sourced from SB, they are sourced from...1789b.com.

http://www.1789b.com/libations/images/smilies/smile.gif

The trail has warmed a bit.

Trying different iterations of the URL for the emoticon brings a page that loads successfully.

http://www.1789b.com/libations

Finally! :woohoo:

The link leads to a locked down vBulletin site that has a picture of rickhouses and a favicon in the browser address bar that looks like a whiskey bottle. You can't get anywhere without logging in.

It looks like an intentionally obscure whiskey/bourbon site.

So, what's the deal with 1789b.com? Do they sell bourbon glassware?

bonneamie
04-15-2011, 19:38
Moving on to 2011 and the thread topic, I like my Bulleit glass. It is very hand friendly, being oval-shaped like the bottle.

smokinjoe
04-15-2011, 20:44
Moving on to 2011 and the thread topic, I like my Bulleit glass. It is very hand friendly, being oval-shaped like the bottle.

Hey, Amy. I don't know that I've seen that glass. Can you please post a picture?

Virus_Of_Life
04-16-2011, 00:49
So, what's the deal with 1789b.com? Do they sell bourbon glassware?
Dunno Scott, but I gotta tell you: I'd be very, very careful who you talk to about that, because the person who wrote that... it's real creative artwork on them glasses isn't it.

Probably just the same krew that ran that upstart bourbondrinker.com.

cigarnv
04-16-2011, 01:41
Hey, Amy. I don't know that I've seen that glass. Can you please post a picture?

Joe, this may be the one Amy is speaking of... in the classic style of their bottles

callmeox
04-16-2011, 06:19
Joe, this may be the one Amy is speaking of... in the classic style of their bottles

Back to that 1789b glass. Do you have any better pictures? Who makes it? Are they available to the unwashed/general public?

barturtle
04-16-2011, 06:37
Back to that 1789b glass. Do you have any better pictures? Who makes it? Are they available to the unwashed/general public?

I think I found it. It looks to be a lot like this. (http://oenology.chefsommelier.com/templates/FicheProduit.aspx?IDReferenceCommercial=G0036)

http://oenology.chefsommelier.com/UPLOAD/Produits/DC1_BD1.jpg

hectic1
04-16-2011, 06:41
I think I found it. It looks to be a lot like this. (http://oenology.chefsommelier.com/templates/FicheProduit.aspx?IDReferenceCommercial=G0036)

http://oenology.chefsommelier.com/UPLOAD/Produits/DC1_BD1.jpg That looks to be the glass Timothy...to answer Scott's question, do you have a source that they can be purchased through?

I like how your tag at the bottom of your posts keep getting longer...refering to the Pappy addition! :)

barturtle
04-16-2011, 06:44
That looks to be the glass Timothy...to answer Scott's question, do you have a source that they can be purchased through?

I like how your tag at the bottom of your posts keep getting longer...refering to the Pappy addition! :)

No idea, that's a UK site.

Yeah, it's tough to get much longer, there're only so many characters allowed in a signature...I had to ditch all my bowing emoticons to add the pappy reference:hot:

hectic1
04-16-2011, 06:57
No idea, that's a UK site.

Yeah, it's tough to get much longer, there're only so many characters allowed in a signature...I had to ditch all my bowing emoticons to add the pappy reference:hot: With all of the hype around here over the VW release there certainly isn't a shortage of Pappyophiles around here. VW must have taken a page from the book on creating Rabid Fans. Good for them though...Julian seems like a guy who puts the quailty of the product first and the profits second! :cool:

Parkersback
04-16-2011, 10:12
I have a Reidel bourbon glass (well, I had 4, and we broke 2 in the same night the other night!) that I enjoy, but I also really enjoy a couple of jam jars that work really well. They are big/solid enough to use as a rocks glass if I want, but can also be used effectively to drink neat, as the mouth is more narrow than the rest and ends up concentrating the smell a bit.

Just check the jam jars or the salsa jars the next time you're in the supermarket and look for one you might like, and give it a shot. The price is right, too.

bonneamie
04-16-2011, 14:43
Here is my Bulleit glass that I actually bought at the KBF one year.12092

callmeox
04-16-2011, 15:43

Who is your hand model?

smokinjoe
04-16-2011, 16:08

I didn't know that you could actually buy a glass in Bardstown. :DI don't remember, does Bulleit do the Sampler?

the Duff
04-16-2011, 18:52
Anyone use the Avva crystal tumbler? They're a small tumbler that fits great in the hand. Will fit a couple ice cubes. Wifey got them for me for christmas and spent WAY too much on them.

For drinking neat its a copita or a glencairn.

DeanSheen
04-16-2011, 20:01
I didn't know that you could actually buy a glass in Bardstown. :DI don't remember, does Bulleit do the Sampler?

Buying glass in Bardstown is about as easy as getting a cab there.

barturtle
04-17-2011, 00:50
Buying glass in Bardstown is about as easy as getting a cab there.

Dude stole my line.:rolleyes:

callmeox
04-23-2011, 16:02
That looks to be the glass Timothy...to answer Scott's question, do you have a source that they can be purchased through?

Yeah, it looks like a similar shaped glass but I want a real 1789b glass. Are any of the members here going to sack up and talk about it? Bob? Reid? How can I get one to add to my collection?

Are you sworn to secrecy or something? If that's the case, then it seems pretty juvenile, IMO.

jcg9779
04-23-2011, 16:36
Yeah, it looks like a similar shaped glass but I want a real 1789b glass. Are any of the members here going to sack up and talk about it? Bob? Reid? How can I get one to add to my collection?

Are you sworn to secrecy or something? If that's the case, then it seems pretty juvenile, IMO.

Apparently it's something that only the cool kids get to play with.

HP12
04-23-2011, 16:36
I use a 12 oz. and a 16 oz. snifter (depends on the pour). Looking to buy a couple Glencairn glasses just for comparison and mood variation while sipping a dram of bourbon or Scotch.

Can't see how the snifter can be beat. Nice bowl to capture the aroma, plenty of swirl room to open up the dram and easily cupped in the hand for hand warming the whiskey.

kickert
04-23-2011, 17:02
Love my glass (not crystal) glencairns. Hate my snifters. Occasionally have a pour in my 4 roses glasses.

cigarnv
04-23-2011, 20:25
Love my glass (not crystal) glencairns. Hate my snifters. Occasionally have a pour in my 4 roses glasses.

Ben, I find Four Roses has some of the better "hand out" glasses. I really like the small rocks glass they have with the squared off corners from the Sampler a few years back... nice feel and a great size.

rocky480
04-23-2011, 23:26
I've always preferred my Riedel Bourbon glasses, but these are either being discontinued or have been discontinued and replaced by the Riedel "O" Spirits glass which I like as well. I think that the slightly more open top of the Riedel works better for higher proofers than the more narrow top of the Glencairn, but that's just been my experience.

fishnbowljoe
04-24-2011, 01:12

I like my glass glencairns too Ben. Joe

StraightNoChaser
04-24-2011, 10:27
rocks/old fashioned glass

moose
04-24-2011, 20:48
I've got a few rocks glasses that I use, I typically grab this one:
http://singlemaltbrands.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/-11431304564823960.jpg

But have a couple of smaller ones, with a more rounded shape, better for swirling.

mosugoji64
04-24-2011, 22:57
Picked up a set of crystal Glencairns recently and have enjoyed them. The bowl is perfect for swirling and holds just the right amount. Drinking took a bit of adjustment due to the narrow opening, but I've learned to tip it back so the bourbon hits about 1/3rd of the way back on my tongue, which seems to be the sweet spot.

Brian

callmeox
05-24-2011, 16:03
I was recently able to learn more about 1789b from CorvallisCracker and he definitely pitched the positives of the site from his perspective. I really appreciate the information that he passed along bit I remain unswayed.

While I have a better understanding of the motivation behind creating a site where members are only allowed when sponsored and must meet the approval of the membership at large, I do not agree with it at all. Creating a site simply to exclude those with whom you disagree is petty, IMO.

I guess I prefer my bourbon straight and without a confidentiality agreement back.

craigthom
05-24-2011, 17:30
Ben, I find Four Roses has some of the better "hand out" glasses. I really like the small rocks glass they have with the squared off corners from the Sampler a few years back... nice feel and a great size.

I have a few of those, but I prefer the Four Roses glasses that are circular and have the roses in relief on the bottom.

I decided when I started visiting distilleries that the souvenir I would purchase would be rocks glasses, so I have a lot of those.

My favorite is the Riedel I got for free on the Belle of Louisville during the riverboat race a couple of years ago.

CorvallisCracker
05-24-2011, 18:40
...the Riedel "O" Spirits glass which I like as well. I think that the slightly more open top of the Riedel works better for higher proofers than the more narrow top of the Glencairn, but that's just been my experience.

I'm thinking about some of those, but my main problem is lack of a place to put them. There is no room in either my study or the china cabinet for any more glasses.

Oscar recently got some and I think he likes them.

cigarnv
05-25-2011, 04:32
I have a few of those, but I prefer the Four Roses glasses that are circular and have the roses in relief on the bottom.

I decided when I started visiting distilleries that the souvenir I would purchase would be rocks glasses, so I have a lot of those.

My favorite is the Riedel I got for free on the Belle of Louisville during the riverboat race a couple of years ago.

The round 4R's glasses are also very nice... especially given you can stack a few to save space. They do tend to be a bit thick for me, but are pretty sturdy.

kickert
05-25-2011, 05:56
The round 4R's glasses are also very nice... especially given you can stack a few to save space. They do tend to be a bit thick for me, but are pretty sturdy.

The only problem I have with the round 4 Roses glasses is that they are the exact size of the garbage disposal on my sink. More than once I have had to take apart the disposal in order to retrieve the glass.

bgageus
05-25-2011, 14:43
Tried a Glencairn glass for the first time, and kept whacking myself in the nose. It really concentrated the smells, but drinking out of it became a Pain. Is there a trick that I missed, or is it just user error.

Josh
05-25-2011, 15:11
Tried a Glencairn glass for the first time, and kept whacking myself in the nose. It really concentrated the smells, but drinking out of it became a Pain. Is there a trick that I missed, or is it just user error.

Try lying less.

That's a joke.

As some one with a larger than average honker I can sympathize. It just takes lots and lots of practice.:grin:

IronHead
05-25-2011, 15:27

It requires less tilting of the glass and more tilting of the neck. :)

jburlowski
05-25-2011, 18:05
Innocently (he thinks), he tiptoes in.... I recently bought a couple of these (http://www.amazon.com/Villeroy-Boch-American-Bar-Straight-Fashioned/dp/B004D3BJIC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1306371767&sr=8-13) and like them a lot. I like / need a heftier glass and these fill the bill. Great for straight tasting yet room for a cube or two...

Josh
05-25-2011, 18:47
Innocently (he thinks), he tiptoes in.... I recently bought a couple of these (http://www.amazon.com/Villeroy-Boch-American-Bar-Straight-Fashioned/dp/B004D3BJIC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1306371767&sr=8-13) and like them a lot. I like / need a heftier glass and these fill the bill. Great for straight tasting yet room for a cube or two...

Those are nice glasses, John. And the price ain't too bad neither. I may have to pick up a couple!

bgageus
05-26-2011, 07:26
Josh,

Thanks for the support, now I know it was not just me. I was told once that if you want to be the best you need to practice, so I will take tour advice and not quit.

Ironhead,

I did actually think at one point to plop a cool bendy straw into the glass. I will try the neck move instead of the straw. Just hope I dont fall over backwards off my barstool.

kickert
05-26-2011, 07:47

those do look nice, but I think I would like the scotch glasses a bit more.

StraightNoChaser
05-26-2011, 09:50
The bottle, duh.

tigerlam92
05-26-2011, 22:51
I use the glasses that came with the ORVW23 Decanter set. It's great and has the ORVW logo on it. I like that style of glass a lot more.

At one point, I brought my two glasses to let some friends taste some of my special bourbon then found that during the transportation, one of them cracked. I was quite sad. So I email Julian and he was able to replace it for me!!

Cheers
--Hugh

gburger
06-03-2011, 15:44
Nice that you got a replacement

Ian S.
06-03-2011, 16:00
I prefer the Glencairns but I also use several different rocks glasses and a nice 4R Distillery glass similar to the Reidel O.

gburger
06-03-2011, 16:02
I like one that has a solid sides and bottom with an opening on top.

Ian S.
06-03-2011, 16:10

Those do just fine, too.:grin:

Josh
06-03-2011, 20:06

We still talking about glasses?

ethangsmith
06-05-2011, 11:51
$0.99 Reading China & Glass plain shot glasses. The bourbon needs to be fancy, not the glassware.

mosugoji64
06-05-2011, 14:38
$0.99 Reading China & Glass plain shot glasses. The bourbon needs to be fancy, not the glassware.

I used to feel that way as well until I had the opportunity to sample two pours from the same bottle in different glasses. I was very surprised by the difference. Not saying that it will work for you, but you might give it a shot.

ethangsmith
06-05-2011, 15:27
I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference. I've had whiskey out of a Glencairn, but well, it tasted just like whiskey. But I suppose if I were to drink the same whiskey out of 2 different glasses back-to-back I would notice the difference. I've got a few small glasses here of different sizes. Maybe I'll do an experiment...........

Flyfish
06-29-2011, 11:33
:lol:
I have a Reidel bourbon glass (well, I had 4, and we broke 2 in the same night the other night!) that I enjoy, but I also really enjoy a couple of jam jars that work really well. They are big/solid enough to use as a rocks glass if I want, but can also be used effectively to drink neat, as the mouth is more narrow than the rest and ends up concentrating the smell a bit.

Just check the jam jars or the salsa jars the next time you're in the supermarket and look for one you might like, and give it a shot. The price is right, too.

Just you and Hank Williams
Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gay-o
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou! :lol:

Tennessee Dave
06-29-2011, 14:12
Usually a Glencairn but I occasionally like it in a big old brandy snifter

fishnbowljoe
06-29-2011, 14:22
Revisiting this, if I'm having a pour straight or with a couple of ice cubes, it's one of my Glencairns. If I'm having bourbon with coke etc.., I use a heavy, dimpled rocks glass. Joe

B.B. Babington
06-30-2011, 19:25
I use cordials glass similar to glencairne but smaller with stem, and cover with watch glass.

G.H.Adams
06-30-2011, 20:18
I've found that as I get further into bourbon drinking, any glass will do in a pinch.:slappin:

StraightNoChaser
07-03-2011, 11:18
I have a handful of Glencairns but I am moving away from those and more into small snifters. IMO, the wider surface area and tapered opening allow me to delve deeper into the nose of what I'm enjoying. Side by side, the nose comes across as subdued in a Glencairn when compared to a small snifter.

OscarV
07-03-2011, 13:23
Side by side, the nose comes across as subdued in a Glencairn when compared to a small snifter.

I have found that to be true also.
But one would think it would be the other way around because of the shape of the Glencairn, it appears as if it would shoot the aroma up faster to you.
But then again maybe it does and you lose the aroma before you can nose it.

StraightNoChaser
07-03-2011, 14:28
The larger bowl in the snifter gives you more intense aromas because there's more area for the volatile components to evaporate. The tapered opening then concentrates them before escaping the glass

Ian S.
07-05-2011, 19:25
I've been using some great little tequila snifters in my side by side tastings lately. I have to say that these beat the Glencairn's hands down when it comes to getting a great nose off the glass.

jmpyle
07-08-2011, 18:08
I have a rather eclectic collection of glasses for sipping whiskey. I use Glencairn, some inexpensive port glasses from Crate and Barrel (very copita like), Riedel Port glasses, and Riedel O chardonnay glasses. The later are similer to Villeroy and Boch's latest whiskey glasses. My favorite will always be the Glencairn Copita. I just like it the best for having a stem, directing enough aroma, but not too much, to the nose, and it's simple and effective.

I must also admit that I have enjoyed sipping fruitier bourbons from champagne flutes. Yep I know - a ridiculous thought, and counter to "the people's spirit" persona of bourbon, but don't knock it until you try it.

Young Blacksmith
07-08-2011, 19:06
Been mostly using some Bulleit glasses I got for Father's Day. Every once in a while if I do a flight or side by side I have some smaller soju glasses I'll use. They're wide open and taper down, like the bottom half of a glencairn.

jcg9779
12-25-2011, 13:13
I have a handful of Glencairns but I am moving away from those and more into small snifters. IMO, the wider surface area and tapered opening allow me to delve deeper into the nose of what I'm enjoying. Side by side, the nose comes across as subdued in a Glencairn when compared to a small snifter.

It took a while, but lately I've been moving away from my Glencairns to small snifters also. I'll still reach for a Glencairn now and again, but it's usually my second or third choice (or if I haven't washed dishes in a while).

ebo
12-27-2011, 12:40
What size snifters are you guys using? It seems to me that a standard size is way too big. I would think something like a 6 - 8 oz. size would be perfect? Also, where do you get smaller sizes? All I can find are the 9-14 oz. sizes.

Flyfish
12-27-2011, 13:51
It took a while, but lately I've been moving away from my Glencairns to small snifters also. I'll still reach for a Glencairn now and again, but it's usually my second or third choice (or if I haven't washed dishes in a while).

My wife has moved back to small snifters while I stick with the Glencairn. I only mention this because she has a much more highly developed palate than I do. The rim of the snifter is wider so the aromas are not as concentrated. But the surface area of the exposed bourbon is also proportionately larger so it is releasing more to appreciate. Someday I will be as evolved as she is. In the meantime, pass that bottle will you, please.

Halifax
12-27-2011, 14:56
I usually prefer a small rocks glass. However, I recently got some some snifters, and I am really enjoying them. If they are clean... I find myself reaching for them.

jcg9779
12-27-2011, 17:53
What size snifters are you guys using? It seems to me that a standard size is way too big. I would think something like a 6 - 8 oz. size would be perfect? Also, where do you get smaller sizes? All I can find are the 9-14 oz. sizes.

Eric, the couple that I have are 12 oz. A wouldn't mind a smaller one from time to time though....6-8 oz. would probably be pretty good.

greens
12-28-2011, 13:22
Duvel Tulip Glass

Kalessin
12-30-2011, 13:45
I have a Glencairn but I don't like the way I keep bonking the glass into my nose when having a relaxing end-of-the-day drink.

While out gift shopping, I found Bormioli Rocco "Galassia" glasses. The "juice" aka "small rocks" size holds 6.5oz, sits perfect in the hand with just enough weight for my taste, and stacks base-to-base with its buddies for storage and amusement.

$6 per box of 6 at Marshalls/TJ Maxx helped with the buying decision.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rej6T0sJL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

fishnbowljoe
12-30-2011, 13:57
The one in my hand. :grin: Joe

smokinjoe
12-30-2011, 15:19
I have a Glencairn but I don't like the way I keep bonking the glass into my nose when having a relaxing end-of-the-day drink.

While out gift shopping, I found Bormioli Rocco "Galassia" glasses. The "juice" aka "small rocks" size holds 6.5oz, sits perfect in the hand with just enough weight for my taste, and stacks base-to-base with its buddies for storage and amusement.

That's a good looking glass.

Flyfish
12-31-2011, 06:28

It seems to me that too many bourbonistas fail to distinguish "nosing and tasting" from that "relaxing end-of-the-day drink." How many posts have you read from guys who only drink it this way or that way? A glass should fit its purpose. I don't put ice cubes in my Clencairn and I don't nose my bourbon from a rocks glass--though I do often pause to take a sniff before sipping.

dridge11
12-31-2011, 08:42
I use Riedel Vinum Port glasses....similar bowl shape to the Glencairns, and I already had them so figured I'd stick with what I already have. But at $40 for a set of 2, the Glencairns are probably a better value. I got the glasses as a gift many years ago, they do a great job.

Enoch
12-31-2011, 08:54
Recently, I have been using some rounded Yellowstone shot glasses. I bought 2 doz at an estate sale for 10 cents each and the stack nicely. It seems that larger the glass, the more I drink in each pour.

CaptainQ
12-31-2011, 09:00
I use Riedel Vinum Port glasses....similar bowl shape to the Glencairns, and I already had them so figured I'd stick with what I already have. But at $40 for a set of 2, the Glencairns are probably a better value. I got the glasses as a gift many years ago, they do a great job.

Those are my favorite as well.

RegChumpington
12-31-2011, 09:07
I have three go-tos and it depends on what/how I'm drinking.

My first two choices are the standard Glencairn and these "Sipping glasses (http://www.crateandbarrel.com/dining-and-entertaining/cordial-glasses/sipping-glass/s312053)" from Crate and Barrel. One of those two will really favor most whiskeys and bring out a nice balance of body and top notes. Generally I prefer the glencairn (more comfortable, pretty durable), but I've found recently there are a few whiskies that the C&B glass really does good things for - Angel's Envy last night was one such discovery. The downside to the C&B glasses is that they are FRAGILE, unless they've been updated. Can't tell from the photo.

If I'm having something on ice or as a cocktail, I'll usually opt for one of the glasses I got in a Four Roses gift set last year. Nice, durable, not over-huge. There's a real cutoff point for me and a lot of old fashioned glasses are so wide that I feel like they're designed to allow drinking from your ears as well as your mouth.

On rare occasion (and usually only for scotches) I use a glencairn copita. Despite the occasional fussiness of some of the scotch people, I don't particularly think the copita is particularly complementary to most drinks in a way that justifies the cost.

Phil T
01-01-2012, 17:40
I picked up a few of the Crate&Barrel sipping glasses the other day. They are a short stemmed, 7oz snifter. I like them

BluesDaddy
01-03-2012, 12:22

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rej6T0sJL._SL500_SS100_.jpgI have this exact same set along with my Glencairns. If I'm just having that "end of the day" drink, I will usually use one of those. If it is a higher shelf bourbon, or something I haven't nosed before, then it is the Glencairns. But these are great little glasses, especially for the price!