PDA

View Full Version : New in Chicago area

stevegoz
04-09-2011, 13:57
Been lurking for a few weeks -- found the site when I searched the interwebs for information on that Costco bourbon after buying it blind a day or two after it reached my nearby warehouse.

Relatively new to bourbon -- wife and I wandered the Trail a bit on our way down to Florida in December 2008. Walked around the Beam refinery, er, distillery a bit and toured Maker's as well. Made a few purchases at each, and did my touristy dipping of the MM 375 bottle. MM tour also gave me my only-ever tasting of white lightning.

Hosted a small tasting of eight different bottles in March 2009 (ranging from Evan Williams black up to Eagle Rare 17, a wedding gift) and have quadrupled the collection since. Favorites now include that 17, as well as Booker's (on the rocks -- will take with water next time, as I drink everything else neat now), Buffalo Trace and Corner Creek. Only bottles I haven't much cared for were Kentucky Vintage and Woodford Reserve.

Best "bargain" I've scored was a pair of bottles of Basil Hayden's on clearance at a Meijer for $25 each, though I don't think it's a bourbon that warrants its full retail price. (Also found the 1.75 of MM on clearance at a different grocery store for 20 bucks -- search and ye might find!)

Hope to make it down to Kentucky in June; BT is tops on my "to visit" list.

Still learning, and I look forward to the benefit of all of your experience. Cheers!

Tennessee Dave
04-09-2011, 16:12
Welcome to SB. Enjoy yourself here.:cool:

Vosgar
04-09-2011, 21:34
[quote Hope to make it down to Kentucky in June]

If you have the time, come to Bardstown the end of this month for the Sampler and/or the Kentucky Bourbon Festival in Sept. You'll meet a lot of SB'ers, taste some phenomenal bourbon and have a great time.

Gary

unclebunk
04-10-2011, 14:06
Welcome to SB! Keep an eye out for the semi-regular Chicagoland get-togethers at the South Loop Binny's. They're always loads of fun.

stevegoz
04-10-2011, 17:47
Welcome to SB. Enjoy yourself here.:cool:
Thanks!

[quote Hope to make it down to Kentucky in June]

If you have the time, come to Bardstown the end of this month for the Sampler and/or the Kentucky Bourbon Festival in Sept. You'll meet a lot of SB'ers, taste some phenomenal bourbon and have a great time.

Gary
Sounds awesome -- can't do this month, but will see what my schedule says for September. (I freelance, so I have to strike while the iron is hot.)

Welcome to SB! Keep an eye out for the semi-regular Chicagoland get-togethers at the South Loop Binny's. They're always loads of fun.
Great! I hope to make Chuck Cowdery's April 19 bourbon class at Pitchfork, but remain in deadline Hell this month.

tommyboy38
04-10-2011, 20:32
Welcome aboard. Great bunch of whiskey drinkers here with a great knowledge of whiskey. If you have a question, someone knows the answer. As just about every SB-er in the tri-state area has done, I recommend a trip to Binny's South Loop to meet Joe and bunker a few bottles.

stevegoz
04-11-2011, 09:18
Welcome aboard. Great bunch of whiskey drinkers here with a great knowledge of whiskey. If you have a question, someone knows the answer. As just about every SB-er in the tri-state area has done, I recommend a trip to Binny's South Loop to meet Joe and bunker a few bottles.

Eh, I'm mad at Binny's South Loop for not hosting this year's whiskey event. Instead of a nice walk from Union Station, now I have to cab it up to Lincoln Park! :smiley_acbt:

And to rub salt into the wound, the same night of the whiskey event South Loop is having an event with Founder's Brewing. :hot:

Lost Pollito
04-11-2011, 09:55
You can take the red line to the LP store for the tasting. Also, it may not be founder's but Goose Island is right across the street. I plan on drinking a few post work beers. Welcome to SB.com by the way. Lots of great Chicago members around here.

stevegoz
04-11-2011, 12:39
You can take the red line to the LP store for the tasting. Also, it may not be founder's but Goose Island is right across the street. I plan on drinking a few post work beers. Welcome to SB.com by the way. Lots of great Chicago members around here.

Heh -- we moved to the suburbs so we wouldn't have to deal with the Red Line anymore. :grin:

LikeItWasSodaPop
04-11-2011, 20:15
When is this Binny's tasting of which you all speak?

stevegoz
04-11-2011, 21:00
When is this Binny's tasting of which you all speak?

This thing here (http://www.binnys.com/events/#24). Or below.

WORLD OF WHISKIES
Thursday, April 14, 5:00-8:00pm at Binny's Lincoln Park 1720 N. Marcey St.
Sample over 150 whiskies in every conceivable style from all over the world! In many cases meet and speak with the people who actually make them. $50 Binny’s Card members, $60 non-members. Paid reservations only.
Call (312)664-4394 for more information.