PDA

View Full Version : What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2011

Stones
04-15-2011, 01:27
I know it's probably a bit early to call it winter here in Oz but since i reside in the sub-tropical part of Queensland there seems to only be two distinct seasons during the year - Summer and Winter! So winter it is for this thread.

I'm about to enjoy the first pour of a BT and the last pour of a VWFRR for a Friday evening of relaxation after the working week.

What is the rest of Australia indulging in?
Cheers to all.

:toast:

camduncan
04-15-2011, 02:29
Trying to kill a cold with Jim Beam White.

camduncan
04-16-2011, 01:12
Baby sazerac on ice after a afternoon at the beach.

jonbob
04-16-2011, 08:20
I've been enjoying Blantons Original Single Barrel and some Evan Williams single barrel 2000 vintage, both excellent :)

jfw
04-20-2011, 22:01
Hey Guys,

I'm headed down to Sydney and over to New Zealand next month on holiday. Any advice on bourbons I should try / bring back that are available there that aren't available in the US ?

I know I want to try the JB Small Batch with Port, but other than that?

Thanks,

Joe

camduncan
04-21-2011, 01:24
Hey Guys,

I'm headed down to Sydney and over to New Zealand next month on holiday. Any advice on bourbons I should try / bring back that are available there that aren't available in the US ?

I know I want to try the JB Small Batch with Port, but other than that?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, also look for Cougar bourbon (the XS bottle is the better proof) and our version of McKenna which is a Four Roses export and not the Heaven Hill product the US gets. There's also a BIB gold label Jim Beam and Slate Bourbon to try.

It's a shame you aren't coming through Brisbane... we could have put on a BBQ and bourbon night...

_RAAF_Stupot
04-21-2011, 03:28
Funny you should ask.

Over summer I have been drinking Bacardi with lime & soda - today I thought it was time to get a new bottle of bourbon.

My favourite recently (ie last winter) was Even Williams Single Barrel - today I thought I'd get something different & picked up a bottle of Blanton's Special Reserve. It was on special at Woolies.

I cam on here looking for reviews, found nothing, so I'm just about to about to pour a nip.

Pieface
04-21-2011, 04:10
Hey Raaf. The blanton's is probably my favourite 80 proofer available here. Good corn driven flavours, a bit of barrel. It's got a bit of structure which is nice and lacking in the 74-80 proof range by and large. I wouldn't pay $50 but on special it's worth a look :)

If you have some coin spare I still think the Wild Turkey 8 year is the pick of the not too ridiculously priced bourbons.

Let us know how you found the Blanton's :)

OscarV
04-21-2011, 13:36
Not to butt in, but shouldn't this thread be called Autumn 2011 instead of Winter 2011?

spy247
04-23-2011, 03:50
Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 Vintage to start with. Now on to the Thomas Handy.

So much whiskey, so little time.

Pieface
04-23-2011, 04:49
virgin 101 in a borbon and coke. The virgin is a good mixer.
Dinner en route and then something a bit nicer after. RR101 is looking good.

jfw
04-24-2011, 17:16
Joe, also look for Cougar bourbon (the XS bottle is the better proof) and our version of McKenna which is a Four Roses export and not the Heaven Hill product the US gets. There's also a BIB gold label Jim Beam and Slate Bourbon to try.

It's a shame you aren't coming through Brisbane... we could have put on a BBQ and bourbon night...

Cam,

Thanks for the response. We're not getting out of Sydney this trip. It's really a trip to New Zealand with just a few days in Sydney on the way home. I'll be sure to get a bottle of the Cougar XS and see if I can try the others to select maybe one more.

We have never made it up to Brisbane in our three other trips there. The last time we were typhooned out :). We seem to get down there every couple of years, maybe next trip!

Cheers,

Joe

Stones
04-27-2011, 01:24
Not to butt in, but shouldn't this thread be called Autumn 2011 instead of Winter 2011?

Hey Oscar, if you read the first posting it explains this. :grin:

Stones
04-27-2011, 01:28
virgin 101 in a borbon and coke. The virgin is a good mixer.
Dinner en route and then something a bit nicer after. RR101 is looking good.

Hey Pieface, i really like Virgin 101 too and regularly buy it to mix with coke, it's not a bad drop! :grin:

camduncan
04-30-2011, 22:35
Opened a bottle of Woodford Reserve Seasoned Oak Finish for my Dad's 70th birthday lunch today. A special bottle for a special day....

Barrel_Proof
05-02-2011, 11:29
Please give him (and your mom) my best. --Cliff

Opened a bottle of Woodford Reserve Seasoned Oak Finish for my Dad's 70th birthday lunch today. A special bottle for a special day....

jonbob
05-02-2011, 18:50
Wow! I love the standard Woodford and have not seen that one, how does this one compare? Hope your Dad enjoyed it :)

HighTower
05-03-2011, 04:12
Hope he enjoyed it mate! Are your folks any closer to moving? Will have to have a few with Ron once they're in Brisbane!

Cheers

Scott

camduncan
05-03-2011, 15:57
Please give him (and your mom) my best. --Cliff

Will do Cliff. They also pass on their best.

Wow! I love the standard Woodford and have not seen that one, how does this one compare? Hope your Dad enjoyed it :)

I find it much better. It has a sweeter more caramel and vanilla taste, with a much drier finish - almost like a dry white wine.

Hope he enjoyed it mate! Are your folks any closer to moving? Will have to have a few with Ron once they're in Brisbane!
Cheers, Scott

Scott, we were at the new place at Victoria Point a few weeks ago - the slab was down and the frame up. I imagine by now the roof will be on and the construction on the walls will be started. Unfortunately the house on the coast and the boat aren't selling quickly (a sign of the times I'd say), so they may end up with a holiday home on the coast ;)

HighTower
05-05-2011, 16:20
I had a neighbour at my door with a bottle of Rare Breed on Wednesday night, who was I to say no??

Just glad I wasn't working the next day like he was!!

Scott

Stones
05-06-2011, 00:42
I'm off to an inudustry function tonight - they'll probably have white label JB or it could be a lot worse... Slate! :puke:

Pieface
05-06-2011, 06:01
Drank me some willett blind. Tasting notes 90-100pf. Check the sample...130pf! :slappin:I'm either drunk or thats some smooth whisket!

spy247
05-07-2011, 17:01
Elmer T Lee.

Great nose, light in body, great spicy finish.

HighTower
05-11-2011, 01:12
I'm now on annual leave for the next 2 weeks, we are going down to Kingscliff in Northern NSW for a week and I plan on killing a few near-empty bottles.

Tonight I'm having some Rittenhouse 25yo Rye, trying to kill a cough I have had for way too loong!!

Cheers!

Scott

camduncan
05-11-2011, 02:52
Some Woodford Reserve Seasoned Oak Finish tonight.... yum!

HighTower
05-12-2011, 03:21
Tongiht started with some Rare Breed straight outta the freezer (bet Jimmy wishes he was here!) followed by killing a bottle of AAA10yo. Sad I don't have another bottle of this.

Scott

camduncan
05-14-2011, 15:28
Had a couple of pours last night while grilling some steaks.... started with some Four Roses Single Barrel and finished with the standard Four Roses.

Stones
05-20-2011, 23:07
Found and bought a stash of WT RR 10yo in a bottlo at Clayfield Brisbane recently and am enjoying a newly opened bottle, will be a sad, sad day when this beauty is dead and gone. :rolleyes:

camduncan
05-21-2011, 00:36
I've got a couple of spares Tym, and I'm sure Scott has some too... Between us we should be able to keep the RR101 going a bit longer...

B-Zero
05-23-2011, 18:03
Finished off a bottle of VWFRR on the weekend. Cant praise it enough.

spy247
05-24-2011, 18:03
Found and bought a stash of WT RR 10yo in a bottlo at Clayfield Brisbane recently and am enjoying a newly opened bottle, will be a sad, sad day when this beauty is dead and gone. :rolleyes:

Long Live RR101. A Brilliant Bourbon with a big mouth feel.

Currently enjoying a glass right now. Yeah I know its 9 am but what the hell. :grin:

lonemango
05-26-2011, 01:41
Hey Boys, It's hard to reach everyone out there. I'm still a junoir on SB.com, but like to let you guys know about Brisbane Whisky Expo 2011.

Next Tuesday 31st May, Special guest, Seventh Generation Beam Distiller and great grandson of Jim Beam, Fred Noe, will be a guest speaker at the Brisbane Whisky Expo 2011. Who is in Australia to celebrate the re-launch of Jim Beam Black. Once in a life-time chance to meet Fred and join in an exclusive tasting, sampling an assortment of Jim Beam brands, including its premium offering - the newly reinvigorated Jim Beam Black. This is an event not to be missed, and this event will sell out. Buy yours today to guarantee your spot at the premier event for whisky enthusiasts!

Bourbon's I know will be there:
Bakers
Bookers
Basil Hayden
Gentleman Jack
Jack Single Barrel
Woodford Reserve
Woodford Reserve Seasoned Oak

and Fred Noe will be there with his golden pen signing bottles :grin:

Check out tickets & details http://www.spirosbottleshops.com.au/brisbane-whisky-expo-single-entry.html

Be good to see you guys there. Neil

HighTower
05-26-2011, 06:08
Neil, will be there with bells on mate.... Fred will be sick of the sight of me by then! If you have any time in the morning Fred will be coming to the Meadowbrook Hotel from about 10am-11am and I will be serving my famous bourbon chicken wings for as long as 10kg last!

Scott

camduncan
05-26-2011, 20:57
I plan on being at all 3 events on Tuesday. Neil, it will be great to finally catch up and say G'day.

Barrel_Proof
05-30-2011, 06:09
Have a blast, guys!

unclebunk
06-01-2011, 14:41
So how did the Expo go?

Pieface
06-01-2011, 19:00
Yeah..how did it go? cam promised piccies!!

camduncan
06-01-2011, 19:34
Guys, we definately had an awesome day with Fred! i was fortunate enough to be at all 3 events on Tuesday - a bottle signing at the Meadowbrook Hotel (Scott: aka Hightower's work), an industry training afternoon at Iceworks and the Whiskey Expo in the evening.
Fred was typically Fred - one of the most amazing, friendly, generous and funny-as-all-hell guys in the industry. He never fails to amaze me at how much he gives to the people he meets.
We got to taste some of the great Beam Small Batch products, as well as some Jim Beam White Label White Dog specially shipped in for the series of tastings and training events Fred is doing in Australia. Late in the afternoon, a small group of 6 of us sat with Fred and got to open a few 'special' Beam bottles not available in Australia. Scott was nice enough to open and share his bottles of Jim Beam Signature - Six Grain (UK Duty Free only), Binnys Barrel Select Knob Creek Single Barrel and Red Stag. I'm going to rock the boat here and say I liked the Red Stag more than the other two.... It really appealed to my sweet tooth and reminded me of a fortified wine product more than a whiskey one.
Here's a few pictures - thanks to Ian from CCA. Hopefully Scott will post some more at some stage.
A special thanks to Jared as well for hosting the events we attended.

Some photos:
1. Fred at Meadowbrook Hotel
2. Fred and Scott and Scott's Jim Beam guitar
3. Fred signing bottles at the Meadowbrook Hotel
4. Fred giving speech at The Whiskey Expo
5. A few of us at dinner during the Whiskey Expo

camduncan
06-03-2011, 15:16
ORVW 10/90 last night. I've nearly finished the bottle I purchased in the UK in 2004 :frown:

camduncan
06-05-2011, 16:08
Started last night with some Nelson County (aka Heaven Hill) and finished with a nice pour of VOB 80 proof.

camduncan
06-05-2011, 16:46
Hey Boys, It's hard to reach everyone out there. I'm still a junoir on SB.com, but like to let you guys know about Brisbane Whisky Expo 2011.

Next Tuesday 31st May, Special guest, Seventh Generation Beam Distiller and great grandson of Jim Beam, Fred Noe, will be a guest speaker at the Brisbane Whisky Expo 2011. Who is in Australia to celebrate the re-launch of Jim Beam Black. Once in a life-time chance to meet Fred and join in an exclusive tasting, sampling an assortment of Jim Beam brands, including its premium offering - the newly reinvigorated Jim Beam Black. This is an event not to be missed, and this event will sell out. Buy yours today to guarantee your spot at the premier event for whisky enthusiasts!

Bourbon's I know will be there:
Bakers
Bookers
Basil Hayden
Gentleman Jack
Jack Single Barrel
Woodford Reserve
Woodford Reserve Seasoned Oak

and Fred Noe will be there with his golden pen signing bottles :grin:

Check out tickets & details http://www.spirosbottleshops.com.au/brisbane-whisky-expo-single-entry.html

Be good to see you guys there. Neil

Neil, it was good to finally meet in person! I just wanted to say 'Thanks!' for the work Spiros did in organising a great tasting event. It was a really good night. Can't wait for the next one! :D

Pieface
06-06-2011, 04:55
Gonna start thinking you are the only one down here pouring Cam :lol:

Last night was a pour of ND OGD86 to salve my battered pride after an awful day on the links.

spy247
06-07-2011, 01:24
WTRB followed by Hirsh 16 Yr

camduncan
06-07-2011, 04:37
Gonna start thinking you are the only one down here pouring Cam :lol:

Last night was a pour of ND OGD86 to salve my battered pride after an awful day on the links.
Yum, I rate the ND Old Taylor as almost the perfect bourbon.. I wonder how their Old Grandad would compare?

HighTower
06-14-2011, 05:57
Jim Beam Red Stag. Hey, don't look at me like that...
last night it was Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve.

camduncan
06-14-2011, 10:50
Do I get to post here this week?:skep: :lol: Took the girls to Chilis last night for a famiy dinner.... had two HUGE glasses of Makers Mark with a splash of coke :)

Stones
06-23-2011, 22:46
The only GT Stagg i've tried was CamDuncan's 2004 Stagg which i found to be truly amazing with a strong chocolate after-taste. Tonight i am cracking a 2009 Stagg and hoping it is as good or better. :grin:

camduncan
07-30-2011, 14:28
Caught up with Hightower and his family last night for a fantastic dinner & drinks.
Tried some Jim Beam 1795, followed by some 1972 Barrel C, 1792 KBS Barrel of the year, Old Overholt Rye, Angels Envy, Elmer T Lee Barrel C and finished with some WL Weller KBS Barrel of the year.
The 1792 Barrel C & Angels Envy were definate standouts, while the Old Overholt was the bargain of the night (cost $10.88 when I was in Hawaii last month)

Stones
07-30-2011, 21:43
What did you think of the 1795 Cam? JB Black in a fancy dress?

camduncan
07-30-2011, 22:53

I didn't mind it Tym - it was definately typical Beam, but I don't think it's worth the asking price.

HighTower
08-07-2011, 23:01
The only GT Stagg i've tried was CamDuncan's 2004 Stagg which i found to be truly amazing with a strong chocolate after-taste. Tonight i am cracking a 2009 Stagg and hoping it is as good or better. :grin:
Oh you must be forgetting the stellar 2005 131.8 Stagg we finished off at the Bowery that day! What I would trade for a bottle of that!!

Scott

HighTower
08-07-2011, 23:07
Caught up with Hightower and his family last night for a fantastic dinner & drinks.
Tried some Jim Beam 1795, followed by some 1972 Barrel C, 1792 KBS Barrel of the year, Old Overholt Rye, Angels Envy, Elmer T Lee Barrel C and finished with some WL Weller KBS Barrel of the year.
The 1792 Barrel C & Angels Envy were definate standouts, while the Old Overholt was the bargain of the night (cost $10.88 when I was in Hawaii last month)
That Weller never ceases to amaze me, and the 1792s were great! ETL also a favourite....
Good food any company made it a great night!!

You're not far off the mark, Tym. Tastes a bit older than JBB but that's about it. Nice bourbon but I'd rather buy 4 bottles of BT for my money....

Stones
08-11-2011, 21:36
Oh you must be forgetting the stellar 2005 131.8 Stagg we finished off at the Bowery that day! What I would trade for a bottle of that!!

Scott

I did forget about that 2005 Stagg at the Bowery! :shocked: Now that you mention it i do remember it being outstanding, pity we were finishing it off and not starting it. Some of that night afterwards has erased from my long term memory - too many mint juleps! A bloody good night was had! :grin:

Stones
08-11-2011, 21:40
That Weller never ceases to amaze me, and the 1792s were great! ETL also a favourite....
Good food any company made it a great night!!

You're not far off the mark, Tym. Tastes a bit older than JBB but that's about it. Nice bourbon but I'd rather buy 4 bottles of BT for my money....

Yeah i saw this at Dan Murphy's for an amusing $AU189 but as you say would prefer to buy four of something else. I was pleasantly surprised to see DM now stocks Eagle Rare via Southtrade for around $64. Not bad considering how much it would cost to ship our own through customs - so i bought one.

HighTower
08-12-2011, 16:47
Yeah i saw this at Dan Murphy's for an amusing $AU189 but as you say would prefer to buy four of something else. I was pleasantly surprised to see DM now stocks Eagle Rare via Southtrade for around $64. Not bad considering how much it would cost to ship our own through customs - so i bought one.

I saw them selling it for 70 which I thought was decent, 64 is a great price, solid bourbon.
Scott

HighTower
08-12-2011, 16:52
The unfortunate part of them stocking Buffalo Trace is it has now dropped to 80 proof from 90 proof. It will allow them to be available in more places due to the price drop, but an unfortunate thing to have to do.

I love BT but will be buying all the 90 proof I can while it can still be found here.....

Scott

Pieface
08-12-2011, 17:54
The unfortunate part of them stocking Buffalo Trace is it has now dropped to 80 proof from 90 proof. It will allow them to be available in more places due to the price drop, but an unfortunate thing to have to do.

I love BT but will be buying all the 90 proof I can while it can still be found here.....

Scott

The proof drop is codswallop. It's just grabbing more margin. Sure the bottle price "may" drop about $5 when it is introduced but it will be back $50+ again within a few months. I can assure BT that I won't buy any 80 proof whiskey on principle. I'd rather give my money to HH.

I'm pretty pissed off about the pricing atm on bourbon. Rarebreed is over $80 here now, EC12 is over $50 unless you nab a special. There is very little I can justify spending the coin on. I am mostly drinking beer again these days. I can grab a couple of great Belgian/German etc beers for about $15 and scratch my itch for a quality beverage.

camduncan
08-13-2011, 14:27
[quote=Pieface;255843]The proof drop is codswallop. It's just grabbing more margin.[quote]

I had a conversation with Ken Webber from BT several years ago when they were looking at the logistics of launching in the Australian market. One of their BIG concerns was that the Australian taxation system saw them coming into the market priced well above brands like Makers Mark and Elijah Craig 12yo, when in the US they are priced at almost half the price of those brands and compete with the likes of Jim Beam White and Jack Daniels. So whilst I don't doubt the proof drop is profit driven, I do expect it's also to try and position them closer to their real market competitors.

camduncan
08-13-2011, 14:30

Have you opened it yet Tym? What did you think? I had my first try a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I hear Southtrade 'might' have some limited stocks of Eagle Rare 17yo, but I'm not sure how we'd get hold of some...

Pieface
08-14-2011, 05:12
[quote=Pieface;255843]The proof drop is codswallop. It's just grabbing more margin.[quote]

I had a conversation with Ken Webber from BT several years ago when they were looking at the logistics of launching in the Australian market. One of their BIG concerns was that the Australian taxation system saw them coming into the market priced well above brands like Makers Mark and Elijah Craig 12yo, when in the US they are priced at almost half the price of those brands and compete with the likes of Jim Beam White and Jack Daniels. So whilst I don't doubt the proof drop is profit driven, I do expect it's also to try and position them closer to their real market competitors.

They still aren't going to get within a cooee of JB or JD pricewise. They will have a product at a premium with no point of difference. I can't believe they are going to find around $15/750ml at regular retail pricing from a 10 proof drop. Can you explain how they are at a disadvantage under our system? EC12 and MM are similar proof so I'm not sure where the big impost is coming in...?

camduncan
08-14-2011, 05:27
[quote=camduncan;255883][quote=Pieface;255843]The proof drop is codswallop. It's just grabbing more margin.

They still aren't going to get within a cooee of JB or JD pricewise. They will have a product at a premium with no point of difference. I can't believe they are going to find around $15/750ml at regular retail pricing from a 10 proof drop. Can you explain how they are at a disadvantage under our system? EC12 and MM are similar proof so I'm not sure where the big impost is coming in...?

I'm trying to remember conversations from several years ago.... I guess I understood it to mean proof was irrelevent in their calculations - they were more concerned with market positioning and where their base product was designed to fit into the overall market. In the US it is their bottom shelf entry level product, like Beam White Label is for Jim Beam and Heaven Hill White Label (Nelson County) is for Heaven Hill, and that is where it's meant to compete.
Don't forget, I'm on the same page - I'm pissed they're dropping the proof! But if that's what they need to do to stay in the market, I'd rather a lower proof BT than none at all.

Pieface
08-14-2011, 17:52
Sorry if it seems like I am having a crack Cam, I'm certainly not intending to come across as such. Just disappointed in BT especially as they said they would not drop proof when they entered the market. I just don't see how they think this is a positive step forward.

PaulO
08-15-2011, 06:13
BT has several 80 proof bourbons in the US that are priced well under their 90 proof Buffalo Trace: Benchmark, Old Taylor (until they use up the barrels they got from Beam), and Old Charter 8 year old. I don't know why they they would want to deminish their flagship brand. It seems like they could just export some of the lower priced brands they allredy have.

Pieface
08-15-2011, 19:29
I saw Benchmark on the shelf the other day...

camduncan
08-15-2011, 20:25
I saw Benchmark on the shelf the other day...

That's really interesting.... the BT event I went to a couple of weeks ago gave us a taste of Benchmark, and pointed it out as a product not available in Australia.... I guess they had their facts wrong?

Stones
08-16-2011, 00:28
Have you opened it yet Tym? What did you think? I had my first try a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I hear Southtrade 'might' have some limited stocks of Eagle Rare 17yo, but I'm not sure how we'd get hold of some...

Haven't opened it yet Cam, I intend to this weekend. :grin:

Pieface
08-16-2011, 18:32
That's really interesting.... the BT event I went to a couple of weeks ago gave us a taste of Benchmark, and pointed it out as a product not available in Australia.... I guess they had their facts wrong?

Rechecked last night. Definitely BT Benchmark @ 80 proof. $38 bux. This is the store that has ETL and ER10/90 currently

HighTower
08-17-2011, 06:32
Well......spent a week in Melbourne and caught up with a good friend of mine, Adam.
We went through 21 different whiskeys on a lazy Saturday afternoon/night.
In this particular order....

Mint Julep made with Eagle Rare 10
Very Xtra Old Fitz barreled 58 bottled 68
1792 Single Barrel Barrel "C"
Sazerac 18 2009
Van Winkle Rye
Russells Reserve Rye
Vintage 23 Rye
Rittenhouse 25
Pappy 23 SB
Jim Beam 6 Grain
WT Tribute 110 proof (japan version)
WT Kentucky Spirit 1994 pewter
Jim Beam 1795
Bruichladdich Maine Mhor 3D (I still dont get scotch)
Four Roses Mariage 09
Parkers Heritage 27yo
Angel's Envy
Old Rip 10/107
Parkers Heritage barrel Proof (1st release)
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
Jim Beam Red Stag
GTS 09
a sazerac made with Van Winkle Rye and Hennessy paradis extra

Yeah, I know right.......I must say this was over about a 7 hour period and they were about 10-15ml pours.
It was an awesome day with great food and company, and the standouts were (in no particular order) VXOF, WT KS 94, Ritt 25, FR mariage, GTS09
btw, who follows Red Stag with George T Stagg??:skep:

Scott

camduncan
08-17-2011, 15:03
What was the Vintage 23 Rye like Scott?

HighTower
08-17-2011, 23:13
What was the Vintage 23 Rye like Scott?
I couldn't believe when I opened it, overwhelming smell of ripe cherries.
It's a great rye Cam, thanks you, a much appreciated gift :grin:
It was by far the darkest whiskey we had too.....much darker that parkers 27 or rittenhouse 25, almost resembled seasoned oak!

Scott

camduncan
08-18-2011, 14:03
Rechecked last night. Definitely BT Benchmark @ 80 proof. $38 bux. This is the store that has ETL and ER10/90 currently

Hey Morgan, can you PM or post the details of the store and if it's a chain store or independant one? I'm in NSW for the weekend and would definately pick up some Benchmark if I can find it here.

Pieface
08-19-2011, 04:25
Over here they are called liquor barons. Not sure who their tie up is with Nationally sorry...

spy247
08-22-2011, 19:19
Even though this cut in BT Proof has been coming for over a year and I have stock piled heaps, It is still very disappointing. Again we are given the short end of the stick.

On a brighter note the local availabilty of ER10/90 at Liquor Barons and Dans gives us something to be happy about.

Currently sipping my way through some Four Roses & ETL

Stones
08-23-2011, 01:13
Well......spent a week in Melbourne and caught up with a good friend of mine, Adam.
We went through 21 different whiskeys on a lazy Saturday afternoon/night.
In this particular order....

Mint Julep made with Eagle Rare 10
Very Xtra Old Fitz barreled 58 bottled 68
1792 Single Barrel Barrel "C"
Sazerac 18 2009
Van Winkle Rye
Russells Reserve Rye
Vintage 23 Rye
Rittenhouse 25
Pappy 23 SB
Jim Beam 6 Grain
WT Tribute 110 proof (japan version)
WT Kentucky Spirit 1994 pewter
Jim Beam 1795
Bruichladdich Maine Mhor 3D (I still dont get scotch)
Four Roses Mariage 09
Parkers Heritage 27yo
Angel's Envy
Old Rip 10/107
Parkers Heritage barrel Proof (1st release)
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
Jim Beam Red Stag
GTS 09
a sazerac made with Van Winkle Rye and Hennessy paradis extra

Yeah, I know right.......I must say this was over about a 7 hour period and they were about 10-15ml pours.
It was an awesome day with great food and company, and the standouts were (in no particular order) VXOF, WT KS 94, Ritt 25, FR mariage, GTS09
btw, who follows Red Stag with George T Stagg??:skep:

Scott

Wow! That's an impressive day of libations Scottie, even if you did only do 15ml pours. Such an array of different profiles, many I'm sure were incredible - oh the envy... :grin:

camduncan
08-23-2011, 18:18
Wow! That's an impressive day of libations Scottie, even if you did only do 15ml pours. Such an array of different profiles, many I'm sure were incredible - oh the envy... :grin:

Tym, I think it's time I had you and Scott over for a spit roast on the bbq and some bourbon....;)

Stones
08-26-2011, 16:21
That sounds like a grand idea! :grin: