PDA

View Full Version : Best selling bourbon in Texas

Shell
04-25-2011, 10:56
I recall seeing a mention of a very good bourbon sold largely in Texas. It sells for ~$11 a bottle and is the best selling bourbon in Texas (and is not widely distributed in other states).

Does anyone know about this bourbon?

Thanks.

callmeox
04-25-2011, 11:01
Weller Special Reserve 7 years old/90 proof

OscarV
04-25-2011, 11:23
Weller Special Reserve 7 years old/90 proof

Yep that would be my guess but if you are in TX skip it and go dusty hunting.

Josh
04-25-2011, 14:44
Yep that would be my guess but if you are in TX skip it and go dusty hunting.

Indeed. Our Texas members say the state is awash in dusties. Keep in mind, tho, these are Texans saying these things. ;)

Parkersback
04-25-2011, 14:57
Combine the two ideas and go look for some Weller SR dusties.

wadewood
04-25-2011, 15:21
Weller 7/90 is more like $18 a bottle. Also, all the dusties are now gone in Texas; please move on to other states.

Shell
04-25-2011, 16:48
Weller 7/90 is more like $18 a bottle. Also, all the dusties are now gone in Texas; please move on to other states.

At $18/bottle, Weller Special Reserve 7 year would not be it. What bourbon is the most popular / best seller in TX?

wadewood
04-25-2011, 17:59
At $18/bottle, Weller Special Reserve 7 year would not be it. What bourbon is the most popular / best seller in TX?

Weller line is among best sellers in Texas and accounts for more Weller sales than any other state. Maybe it was $11 5-6 years ago, but the price of $18 is Spec's current price.

There is nothing that sells for $11 in Texas that is not also easily available elsewhere.

Parkersback
04-25-2011, 18:01
Tom Moore? One of the HH BIB's?

Shell
04-25-2011, 20:14
Tom Moore? One of the HH BIB's?

It is Tom Moore Bottled in Bond Kentucky Bourbon. My understanding is that it's only sold in TX (for ~$18-$20 for a 1.75L) and in LA (for ~$13 for a 1.75L).

Thanks.

roostercogburn
04-25-2011, 20:38
I always wondered if it was just a coincidence that all of my native Texan friends have always drank Weller exclusively. Apparently not at all.

Tom Moore BiB is pretty widely available in these parts (handles for less than $20!). Didn't change the way I looked at bourbon, but it (like most bonded whiskeys) is a serviceable daily pour and a solid value.

theDon
04-26-2011, 08:44
I don't see a lot bonded HH, but yes Tom Moore BIB is everywhere. Spec's is an expensive chain store. The independent stores here in Dallas have Weller SR for $15-16 but not $11. And yes the dusties have disappeared, no more dusties, move along, nothing to see here!

birdman1099
04-26-2011, 09:12
And yes the dusties have disappeared, no more dusties, move along, nothing to see here!

thou dost protest too much............:skep:

timd
04-26-2011, 09:53
There are no dusties in TX anymore, in fact there is no bourbon or rye, either - so just skip over the state as you look for your booze... We're on empty here.

Thanks for asking

FWIW: The biggies in TX that are regionally unique, if not exclusive:

Tom Moore BIB 1.75
Weller 10/107 1.75
Forty Creek 1.75

Folks like things bigger down here and since moving here I've seen larger bottles of stuff (including Scotch...) that I'd never seen elsewhere - not even places like Binnys & Party Source stock these big honkin' bottls of booze for some fo the brands.

FWIW: I was told Tom Moore was only available in TN, TX & CA - and if you see it BUY IT by some folks in KY... It's just OK. Cheap & good, but not like AAA or VOB, for example, that taste substantially beyond their price. Good, not great - I'd rather have some high-proof Very Old Barton.

wadewood
04-26-2011, 10:01
Tom Moore BIB 1.75l - in plastic only? I have bought a few dusty bottles of this in glass but I think now it is plastic only. Anybody seen a current version in glass?

theDon
04-26-2011, 13:36
Tom Moore BIB 1.75l - in plastic only? I have bought a few dusty bottles of this in glass but I think now it is plastic only. Anybody seen a current version in glass?

Not the places I buy it. I'm sure a price increase would be involved if there were.

cowdery
04-26-2011, 16:56
Is anyone seriously suggesting that the number one American straight whiskey brand in Texas is Tom Moore BIB? I'm always prepared to be surprised by Texas but that seems unlikely.

I also doubt that Weller Special Reserve is #1 in Texas but it has long been that product that is a major brand in Texas and much bigger in Texas than it is anywhere else. And good for Texas because it's a damn fine bourbon.

Texas is Weller's biggest market and people may flip that and think Weller is Texas's biggest bourbon.

I didn't know Texas had a special affinity for Tom Moore BIB but it could be the equivalent in the value segment of Weller in its segment, an also-ran in most of the country that is a big player in Texas.

And, as I said, I'm always prepared to be surprised by Texas but I would be surprised if the best-selling American straight whiskey there isn't one of the top three nationally, which are Jack Daniel's, Jim Beam, and Evan Williams.

However, it's probably relevant that W. L. Weller, Tom Moore BIB, and one of the two big distributors in Texas are all owned by the same family.

timd
04-26-2011, 19:00
Is anyone seriously suggesting that the number one American straight whiskey brand in Texas is Tom Moore BIB? I'm always prepared to be surprised by Texas but that seems unlikely.

Texas has a long history of local or specific brands taking hold and growing massive here - outpacing even the bigger national offerings - look at Shiner Bock, for example on the beer side. Messina Hoff on the wine side, and even big items like vehicles (F-150 sells enough in TX alone to warrant its existance as a Ford model).

That said, I've only ever known one person who bought a Tom Moore BIB (and that was me...). Now Weller (all the low end varieties up to 12 yr) are huge here - in Michigan even the Weller Antique 107 was allocated. Here it grows on trees and costs $22.

I'm sure it's a huge seller, but I agree that Beam White, JD, Wild Turkey or something like that would be the #1 thing here.

wadewood
04-27-2011, 05:45
However, it's probably relevant that W. L. Weller, Tom Moore BIB, and one of the two big distributors in Texas are all owned by the same family.

Aghast......! That would be a violation of Texas law -

CHAPTER 102. INTRA-INDUSTRY RELATIONSHIPS
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS
Sec. 102.01. TIED HOUSE PROHIBITED. (a) In this section, "tied house" means any overlapping ownership or other prohibited relationship between those engaged in the alcoholic beverage industry at different levels, that is, between a manufacturer and a wholesaler or retailer, or between a wholesaler and a retailer, as the words "wholesaler," "retailer," and "manufacturer" are ordinarily used and understood, regardless of the specific names given permits under Subtitle A, Title 3, of this code.

However - this section also includes this fine print, which is probably how they operate legally:

(k) This section does not apply to the application for renewal of a permit held by an applicant who was engaged in the legal alcoholic beverage business in this state under a charter or permit before August 24, 1935, or to an application for a nonresident seller's or wholesaler's permit held by an applicant who continuously has been the holder of a permit of that type since January 1, 1941.

TNbourbon
04-27-2011, 06:11
...Tom Moore BIB 1.75
Weller 10/107 1.75...

I also doubt that Weller Special Reserve is #1 in Texas but it has long been that product that is a major brand in Texas and much bigger in Texas than it is anywhere else. And good for Texas because it's a damn fine bourbon...

Long known that W.L. Weller's biggest market is Texas, but I'm not sure which version is referenced here, since there is no 10yo, 107-proof Weller that I'm aware of. If we ARE discussing the Special Reserve, than it's 7yo/90 proof, of course.

Or, am I slow on the uptake, and this listing intended as an apocryphal red herring?:skep: (If so, we really need a 'tongue-in-cheek' smilie!)

theDon
04-27-2011, 09:52

Nope just that it's a good deal. It's my daily pour thanks to Mozilla, but I only know a handful that even know it exists and not available nationally.

doubleblank
05-02-2011, 11:40
Damn it, the secret's out. Our own Weller 10/107 will disappear from the shelves fast as outsiders rush in to get some.

As far as Weller Special Reserve being the best seller in Texas.....it might have been in the past when 1) it was priced very similar to Jim Beam White and 2) was every bar's well bourbon. But once Weller SR started creeping up in price, it has largely been replaced with JB White (or worse).

Randy

kc outdoorsman
05-04-2011, 09:40
weller 7 yr old is $13 a bottle in KC

cowdery
05-05-2011, 14:14
God bless Kansas City.

RaylanGivens
05-05-2011, 14:23
weller 7 yr old is $13 a bottle in KC

Love to know where you're seeing that price. I greatly prefer the 12 and Antique, but would jump all over SR at $13.