PDA

View Full Version : Pappy Power!

ViperGlock
04-29-2011, 11:23
I've not been here long but I'm making progress on my "collection". I'll be getting a few bottles of Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 years old Lot B in the next few days!!

Here is what I have now: http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx146/StrategicTacticalAdvancedResistance/PappyPower.jpg

ViperGlock
04-29-2011, 11:43
So...I just tried the PVW15 and I love it!! Much better to me then the rye. But, the rye is growing on me... :grin:

ViperGlock
05-03-2011, 21:49
I don't understand why, but even though I "love/like" the PVW15, I "love/like" Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve MORE!!

The VWFRR is not easy for me to like. Hopefully I will enjoy PVW20-23 and Lot B better than the $40 KCSBR!! :grin:

RyanL
05-03-2011, 21:58
I don't understand why, but even though I "love/like" the PVW15, I "love/like" Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve MORE!!

The VWFRR is not easy for me to like. Hopefully I will enjoy PVW20-23 and Lot B better than the $40 KCSBR!! :grin:

Ill trade you some KCSBR for your PVW15s and your VWFRR.:cool:

ViperGlock
05-03-2011, 22:44
Ill trade you some KCSBR for your PVW15s and your VWFRR.:cool:

:grin: Full or empty bottles??

trumpstylz
05-04-2011, 01:48
Yeah, I'll take any that he doesn't want.

RyanL
05-04-2011, 01:52
:grin: Full or empty bottles??

Make sure you recycle any empties. I'll just take all the full ones.

LikeItWasSodaPop
05-04-2011, 01:57
I just scored 7 PVW 15s today, and am rejoicing. The problem is that, well really the FAQ needs to remind all of us that certain smokes kill the palate.

But anyway, it really was great to try the PVW against other pours. What we found was a sort of reverse synergy. Tasting the lesser whiskey after the Pappy would bring out notes we couldn't taste otherwise in the lesser whiskey. The effect was pronounced with Four Roses products. The PVW ruled, but the others would really shine next to it. It really messed up my general idea w/r/t tastings which suggests ascending quality.

And the other takeaway is that even relatively un-schooled palates (people who see KC as "premium") can still taste what makes PVW 15 special, and discuss it with relative proficiency despite having no idea of the backstory or any other indoctrinary method. Non-PWV cult members still know this is the real shit.

chefnash51
05-04-2011, 08:02
odd as it is, i've always found that "lesser" bourbons taste better after a pappy 15. One might think the opposite would hold true.

barturtle
05-04-2011, 08:18
Those are collector bottles! You're not supposed to drink them! Now you're just raising the value of those few bottles that the smart collectors have hidden away. Geez.

Rughi
05-04-2011, 08:54
Those are collector bottles!...

I wonder what proportion of VW's and BTAC's in the last several years have been opened? 1/3? 1/5? 1/10? 1/20?

Many of us scoff mercilessly about the "red wax" collectors, but perhaps a larger proportion of "Pappy's Face" and "overly tall bottles" are trophies not really intended for consumption any time soon.

Maybe there should be an empty bottle line, like Maker's pioneered a few years ago.

Roger

barturtle
05-04-2011, 09:07
I'm just as guilty. I'm way behind in opening my BTAC. I just buy faster than I drink.

I haven't bought any VW (other than a couple ryes) since at least 2007 (and most of those were dusty old Lawrenceburg bottles) . Even so, I still have at least 2 cases of the stuff I need to get to drinking.

Rughi
05-04-2011, 09:57
Yep
I confess I do it as well.

AaronWF
05-04-2011, 10:05

I have to say, I got a bottle of the VWFRR that is also a 'B' batch, and it falls flat. As a Pappy devotee, it's difficult to be so critical and disappointed by it, but after repeated tastings, it's clear to me that it's quite off the mark.

I will say that my bottle has been open since last November, and the whiskey has opened up a little bit, but not nearly enough. I have tasting notes at home; I'll try to get them a little more organized later.

hectic1
05-04-2011, 11:24
I didn't buy any of the "B" bottling from this year based on the reviews that I've seen posted here. I don't know how long that whiskey has been in the tank but Julian said that it was 19yr juice when it was tanked. I'm guessing there is only so long something can be tanked before the quality starts to slide a little...it seems like they have found the tipping point. :(

LikeItWasSodaPop
05-04-2011, 12:22
Thanks ChefNash, glad to know that, for one person at least, what we were tasting was not a fluke.

BradleyC
05-04-2011, 14:54
The vw13 might be slightly degrading due to oxidation/stainless, but its still one of the best rye selections currently on the market (if 3000 bottles/year count as being on the market). I think folks will complain about any whiskey that has been tanked, and that they will continue to do so as long as something is still in one. Complaining about it being tanked compensates for not being able to get any. Just kidding on that of course, but I do feel we get over critical on the few whiskies that I know of that have spent time in stainless. Stainless VW13 is better than no VW13 in my book.

Josh
05-04-2011, 15:53
Stainless VW13 is better than no VW13 in my book.

Bingo.

:bis: :bis: :bis: :bis: :bis:

2highcal
05-04-2011, 18:12
I just picked up the last PVW 15 that the store had this will be my first very very rare in WA

wine65
05-04-2011, 21:38
I would hardly consider the excellent Four Roses products to be viewed as a lesser bourbons - especially some of their single barrels. Pappy fever has gotten a little high around here.

SMOWK
05-05-2011, 09:11
I would hardly consider the excellent Four Roses products to be viewed as a lesser bourbons - especially some of their single barrels. Pappy fever has gotten a little high around here.

I don't like any Four Roses product. I've tried private bottles of all 10 recipe's as well as most of the limited releases. I wouldn't buy a second bottle of any of them.

DeanSheen
05-05-2011, 09:35
I don't like any Four Roses product. I've tried private bottles of all 10 recipe's as well as most of the limited releases. I wouldn't buy a second bottle of any of them.

I've seen you write that before and I am a bit floored as I feel the opposite of that viewpoint. Four Roses is my favorite distillery and I have yet to taste one I would not drink again.

For curiosities sake what is the long answer to what you don't like about the taste of Four Roses products?

jbillin
05-05-2011, 09:44
Hey, you can't take it with you. Drink up!

nivto
05-05-2011, 09:44
Four Roses are my favorite distillery and I have yet to taste one I would not drink again.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

timd
05-05-2011, 10:10

I love Pappy, but I also love Four Roses - two sides of the same coin, in terms of quality. Wheaters vs. Ryes. I can see how the high-rye content can be off-putting (OK, I really can't, but I'll pretend to be understanding).

I recall early on finding the wheaters to be "blah" - because I missed the Rye spice of what I considered "normal" bourbon. I've since grown to really enjoy Wheaters, but my favorite is still Rye and Rye-based bourbon.

CaptainQ
05-05-2011, 11:08
I love Pappy, but I also love Four Roses - two sides of the same coin, in terms of quality. Wheaters vs. Ryes. I can see how the high-rye content can be off-putting (OK, I really can't, but I'll pretend to be understanding).

I recall early on finding the wheaters to be "blah" - because I missed the Rye spice of what I considered "normal" bourbon. I've since grown to really enjoy Wheaters, but my favorite is still Rye and Rye-based bourbon.

Don't forget that the Pappy series is S-W bourbon. There isn't a bourbon made today that duplicates the flavor of that distillery(hopefully BT is very close).

DeanSheen
05-05-2011, 11:23
Don't forget that the Pappy series is S-W bourbon

Sure but I think the point is that many of us have S-W and Pappy fatigue. I've had well respected S-W bottlings that have not been that good to my tastes. It happens. Every bottle S-W put out was not golden.

SMOWK
05-05-2011, 14:32
I've seen you write that before and I am a bit floored as I feel the opposite of that viewpoint. Four Roses is my favorite distillery and I have yet to taste one I would not drink again.

For curiosities sake what is the long answer to what you don't like about the taste of Four Roses products?

I love the high-ryes just as much as the wheaters. And straight ryes just as much as straight bourbons.

Every Four Roses product I've tasted has an off flavor and aroma that is a lot like Grappa, Slivovitz, Rakia, moonshine, etc. It tastes young, raw, and not to my liking when it comes to aged whiskey.

I do however love the Rakia that my transient co-workers bring from Eastern Europe every year. VERY high proof, and always given to me in some sort of plastic reused water bottle. YUM!

I keep trying different FR expressions because they are available, but I usually pawn it off on friends when they come over.

BourbonJoe
05-05-2011, 15:47
I keep trying different FR expressions because they are available, but I usually pawn it off on friends when they come over.

I'm coming over!! :slappin:
Joe :usflag:

SMOWK
05-05-2011, 16:12
I'm coming over!! :slappin:
Joe :usflag:

You're welcome to raid my bunker anytime. Let me know if you make a trip to Ocean City this summer. The Pennsylvanian's have started to pour in due to Springfest this weekend.

the Duff
05-05-2011, 18:05

I bought a bottle of the standard single barrel and just didn't understand the fuss. Tried this year's limited edition at whisky fest. Same thing.

I tried their small batch at a resteraunt and enjoyed it actually. I was shocked!

Its not the high rye. I love all the OGD's. I love Ritt BIB. I think its that "cedar" flavor I keep getting.

Since people go on and on about it, I wanted to try some of the private single barrels. Maybe an "E" mashbill, some different yeasts with the "B"? Maybe I just don't like the "V" or "Q" yeasts?

nivto
05-05-2011, 18:34
Since people go on and on about it, I wanted to try some of the private single barrels. Maybe an "E" mashbill, some different yeasts with the "B"? Maybe I just don't like the "V" or "Q" yeasts?

OBSK would be the proper place to start. Binny's if you can get it.

DeanSheen
05-05-2011, 19:56
I tried their small batch at a resteraunt and enjoyed it actually. I was shocked!

And there it is..... shocked! I'm a minor 4RsmB evanagelist. It's my favorite of their regular expressions. It's the one without any propmting or confirmatioin bias, just "try this" that people who come over go "man, thats good" and many here have a strong dislike for.

For me it's become a symbol of what good blending can do and demonstrates the value that a good master distiller has to my taste buds and enjoyment of whiskey.

I like single malts, I like single barrels, but I've moved on from the opinion that either of those are the end all be all of whiskey thanks in large part to 4RsmB.

(the author is in no way affiliated with Four Roses or any of their subsidiaries)

G.H.Adams
05-05-2011, 21:06
That's the great thing about taste. If we all liked the same thing how boring would that be. I have had several of the Van Winkles and while good I don't feel that it's the best out there or the need to chase bottles. Viva La Difference.

T Comp
05-05-2011, 21:18
OBSK would be the proper place to start. Binny's if you can get it.

Good luck. Most are gone gone gone. Damn, I just realized I posted in a Pappy thread.

kickert
05-05-2011, 21:32
And there it is..... shocked! I'm a minor 4RsmB evanagelist. It's my favorite of their regular expressions. It's the one without any propmting or confirmatioin bias, just "try this" that people who come over go "man, thats good" and many here have a strong dislike for.

That is me too....

cigarnv
05-06-2011, 03:34

Sooner or later we are going to find one you will like Sky....

As far as Four Roses goes I find it to be one of those unique offerings that folks either like or don't like... far less gray area then with most other whiskey brands....

SMOWK
05-06-2011, 09:32
Sooner or later we are going to find one you will like Sky....

I keep trying them. You guys are welcome to send some samples this way to try to sway me...:cool:

Whenever I see a private bottle I always pick one up, just not multiples anymore. So far, my favorite of the yeasts BY FAR is F. Now I wouldn't go hunting any down, but if I saw a private bottle, I would be most excited if it was an F'er.

Josh
05-06-2011, 15:44
I keep trying them. You guys are welcome to send some samples this way to try to sway me...:cool:

Whenever I see a private bottle I always pick one up, just not multiples anymore. So far, my favorite of the yeasts BY FAR is F. Now I wouldn't go hunting any down, but if I saw a private bottle, I would be most excited if it was an F'er.

The OESF I tried at Binny's kind freaked me out. If I hadn't seen the bottle, I would have thought it was made by Heaven Hill. It was that sweet and minty!

ViperGlock
05-06-2011, 20:25
You guys are going to make me spend a lot of money with all the talk of good bourbons. :grin:

Lost Pollito
05-06-2011, 23:14
Good luck. Most are gone gone gone. Damn, I just realized I posted in a Pappy thread.
They're around. New OBSK just showed up. I suggest checking out the new F
barrels.

timd
05-07-2011, 01:04
They're around. New OBSK just showed up. I suggest checking out the new F
barrels.
Maybe the problem with Four Roses is that it's the "Scotch of Bourbons"?

I come from Scotch first and foremost, and Four Roses was the bourbon that turned me... It had all the qualities I look for in a great Scotch at 1/2 the price.

Upon realizing that bourbon wasn't some tacky bourgeoisie American spirit - I converted and actually drink more bourbon (and especially rye...) than Scotch these days.

And Four Roses is where it started... still my fave bourbon, but maybe it's "finer" qualities are what leave traditional bourbon fans behind? More than just the rye notes, but the almost champagne like qualities could be off-putting to somebody looking for more "bite" than "polish"

Kind of like a bad girl vs. a girl you'd introduce to your parents...? Or perhaps I've enjoyed too much Four Roses Single Barrel hand picked from Schneider's of Capitol Hill in DC tonight??? They did a great job picking this barrel (it's better than Binny's or The Party Source's :bowdown:)... www.cellar.com - seriously! Good stuff!

MarkEdwards
05-07-2011, 04:26
You guys are going to make me spend a lot of money with all the talk of good bourbons. :grin:

They've ALREADY made me spend lots of money, and I've only known them for a year and a half. :lol:

SMOWK
05-07-2011, 08:10
Maybe the problem with Four Roses is that it's the "Scotch of Bourbons"?

You make a good point. I've always put the "kick you in the face" whiskeys at the top of my list.

CaptainQ
05-07-2011, 08:11
They've ALREADY made me spend lots of money, and I've only known them for a year and a half. :lol:

Ain't that the truth!:crazy:

Jwilly019
05-07-2011, 11:47

About 6 months for me.

ViperGlock
05-08-2011, 15:58

After several more pours (over days) of PVW15 I now like it the best of all the bourdons I've tried so far. At first I thought the KCSBR was better, but not anymore. As far as the VWFRR goes...I gave up on it.

SMOWK
05-08-2011, 18:00
After several more pours (over days) of PVW15 I now like it the best of all the bourdons I've tried so far. At first I thought the KCSBR was better, but not anymore. As far as the VWFRR goes...I gave up on it.

Keep it around for a while. I don't think you will regret it.

DeanSheen
05-08-2011, 20:14

Great news! I'm glad word is getting out finally that VWFRR sucks. :grin:

callmeox
05-08-2011, 20:38
Great news! I'm glad word is getting out finally that VWFRR sucks. :grin:

Hitting the VWFRR early in your career is like banging a super model in high school on your first Friday night out. You need to get your legs under you with the girl in your history class with the "great personality" and then work your way through the cute chicks in the woodwind section of the band and perhaps a cheerleader or two before you jump in like that.

Otherwise she's doing all sorts of stuff to you that you just can't fathom and there's so much going on that you end up totally confused and maybe scarred for life.

jcg9779
05-08-2011, 20:44
Hitting the VWFRR early in your career is like banging a super model in high school on your first Friday night out. You need to get your legs under you with the girl in your history class with the "great personality" and then work your way through the cute chicks in the woodwind section of the band and perhaps a cheerleader or two before you jump in like that.

Otherwise she's doing all sorts of stuff to you that you just can't fathom and there's so much going on that you end up totally confused and maybe scarred for life.

Scott still digs the chicks with the "great personality." :grin:

Jwilly019
05-08-2011, 21:35

Scott, this is exactly why I've been holding off cracking open any of my higher end bottles. Instead, I'm letting my palate develop with some of my "lesser" pours. Though you explained it much more eloquently than I ever could've. :grin:

ViperGlock
05-09-2011, 00:02

No...it's just that VWFRR is the type to lie about taking birth control with intent to sue for child support.

Brisko
05-09-2011, 07:47
No...it's just that VWFRR is the type to lie about taking birth control with intent to sue for child support.

Send her my way.... I'm willing to take one for the team. :cool:

timd
05-09-2011, 10:14

Easily one of the Top Five best booze-to-real life analogies.ever.

Arguably, however, VWFRR is not only a smokin' hot chick, but one with an outstanding personality that you would bring home to dad... but then he'd insist you share....!

ViperGlock
05-09-2011, 11:46
Yes, I admit the analogy is “cute”, but after drinking bourbon 25 years plus, I think I know what I like and what I don’t. I know you guys hold your bourbon in high regard but in real life it’s not a woman. A good woman is more intoxicating and taste much better than any liquor. If you think otherwise perhaps you have never had a truly hot lady. I have an appreciation for the effort put into making VWFRR, and for everyone’s opinion, but it’s not something I like. :cool:

AaronWF
05-09-2011, 11:57
I have an appreciation for the effort put into making VWFRR, and for everyone’s opinion, but it’s not something I like. :cool:

I just went back for another little taste of my bottle after leaving it alone for a good month or two. There's a flavor creeping into it that has been completely folded into the wood for the last 6 months. I have 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottle still with juice. I'm hoping those flavors continue to develop in the open bottle, so I'm definitely going to spread the rest of it out for as long as possible.

The flavor is a warmth and curly sweetness that I get from the Pappy products and even the Lot B. It seems that the steel vatting of the more recent round of VWFRR 'B' bottlings has had a really deleterious affect on the whiskey, but I have to admit that it's only now a good 6-7 months after opening that I'm even getting a glimpse of what might have made earlier bottlings so special.

ViperGlock
05-09-2011, 12:31
Keeping an open mind, I'll give it more time. :cool:

timd
05-09-2011, 14:14
If you think otherwise perhaps you have never had a truly hot lady

It was an analogy - not a fact. At least that's how I took it. It was funny, and a great description on a overwhelmingly well liked whiskey.

You don't have to like it - you may never like it. But it was still a great analogy and commentary.

If you've got 25 years of bourboning - kudos. You most likely do know exactly what will - and won't - get your tastes buds revved up. BUT - I find it's far easier to get me to like things I didn't, than to get me to disliked something I already do... that's true for most people.

That's the only "push back" you are getting here - quite a few folks (myself included) think this stuff is amazing and wish you had the same experiences of loving it and getting a "moment of magic" when you sit & sip it...

DeanSheen
05-09-2011, 14:31
quite a few folks (myself included) think this stuff is amazing and wish you had the same experiences of loving it and getting a "moment of magic" when you sit & sip it...

Don't listen to this guy. You made the right call! Horrible, vile, juice!

(spread the word)

hectic1
05-09-2011, 17:17

Yes, I admit the analogy is “cute”, but after drinking bourbon 25 years plus, I think I know what I like and what I don’t. So I guess you don't always know what you like and what you don't? :confused:

callmeox
05-09-2011, 17:43
Scott still digs the chicks with the "great personality." :grin:

They definitely have their place. :grin:

Scott, this is exactly why I've been holding off cracking open any of my higher end bottles. Instead, I'm letting my palate develop with some of my "lesser" pours. Though you explained it much more eloquently than I ever could've. :grin:

I did the same as you when I got serious about bourbon and rye. It took a lot of willpower to not jump to the end, but I think I developed an appreciation for stuff from the bottom shelf up by taking that path. I hope you do as well. It definitely makes things cheaper for you in the long run.

It's comments like the above, followed by:

Send her my way.... I'm willing to take one for the team. :cool:

That keep me coming back to SB. :lol:

Easily one of the Top Five best booze-to-real life analogies.ever.

Arguably, however, VWFRR is not only a smokin' hot chick, but one with an outstanding personality that you would bring home to dad... but then he'd insist you share....!

How would mom feel about that? :grin:

It was an analogy - not a fact. At least that's how I took it. It was funny, and a great description on a overwhelmingly well liked whiskey.

You don't have to like it - you may never like it. But it was still a great analogy and commentary.

If you've got 25 years of bourboning - kudos. You most likely do know exactly what will - and won't - get your tastes buds revved up. BUT - I find it's far easier to get me to like things I didn't, than to get me to disliked something I already do... that's true for most people.

That's the only "push back" you are getting here - quite a few folks (myself included) think this stuff is amazing and wish you had the same experiences of loving it and getting a "moment of magic" when you sit & sip it...

Yeah, there are few bottles that I know of where SB'ers are united in their opinion and the VWFRR had been one. I honestly don't recall a negative comment about it until recently.

ViperGlock, are there any other well aged ryes that you like? I'm really puzzled since there wasn't a rough edge to be found in the bottles that I've had.

Don't listen to this guy. You made the right call! Horrible, vile, juice!

(spread the word)

I wish it was that easy.

[FONT=Verdana] So I guess you don't always know what you like and what you don't? :confused:

I think we have all had bottles where we have wavered, but to me the VW rye isn't one.

ViperGlock
05-09-2011, 18:10
It’s the real time evolution of opinion over many days of pours. The more pours, the better I can tell what I like. I had KCSBR vs. VWFRR vs. PVW15 going.

Knowing myself, I’ve had enough tastes now to decide my preference…which is:

PVW15
KCSBR
VWFRRFirst and second place I like to the degree I would recommend and will buy again. I'm not trying to be rude, I just do not like the rye very well. I have never cared for rye anything. Also, I already posted that in the interest of keeping an open mind I would let the VWFRR set a few months to let it “open up” (or whatever is the proper terminology) and give it one final set of tries. If I still do not like it after all that it will be…let’s just say…assimilated into the cosmic barrel in the sky.

SMOWK
05-09-2011, 18:17
I have never cared for rye anything.

Well there ya go.

Jwilly019
05-09-2011, 18:21
I did the same as you when I got serious about bourbon and rye. It took a lot of willpower to not jump to the end, but I think I developed an appreciation for stuff from the bottom shelf up by taking that path. I hope you do as well. It definitely makes things cheaper for you in the long run.

I don't know if cheaper is necessarily the best word, as bottles of PVW 15 & 20, PHC10, WLW10, and others have certainly not been kind to my wallet. However, I've been spending my time with BT, ER1B, WT101, WSR, EC12, and EWSB in order to better develop my palate. I also have a few other "beginner" bottles waiting in reserve until I finish a few of those that are opened.

It's tough to have these bottles constantly staring at me as I choose a pour, but in the end I think I'll appreciate the better bottles once I have a larger point of reference.

callmeox
05-09-2011, 18:42
I think that if you develop a palate for moderately priced bottles, you will likely retain that even when you crack the super premium threshold. The point is that I can be just as content with a pour of VOB BiB or one of the cheap HH bonds as I am with something at the top of the price scale.

callmeox
05-09-2011, 18:43
Well there ya go.

Yep, that answers my question from above. :grin:

ViperGlock
05-09-2011, 18:48
Yep, that answers my question from above. :grin:

Yes...so it's not anything wrong with it for what it is. It's just that it's not my thing.

timd
05-09-2011, 19:02
It's just that it's not my thing.

And less than a year ago, I would have said the same of Wheaters - now I love them. One day you find your palate just "kicks in" (if you continue to push it - but if you give up on trying, then obviously it won't happen).

Of all things it was a cheap-o bottle of Weller Antique 107 I picked up that led me down the path of ruin and into Pappy worship. One day it went from just a way to kill some time to something I found truly enjoyable.

Given how much I LOVE my rye whiskey, though, I really hope the taste buds do a flip for you - it honestly bums me out that you don't get to enjoy the PVWFRR the same way I, and others, do - it's a wonderful experience.

I can only suggest you keep at it - maybe someday it'll be great... or perhaps not (I can't stand Gin - and don't see that changing). I try it now and again to see if I've grown my palate enough to enjoy it... but I still haven't.

fishnbowljoe
05-09-2011, 19:28
I just do not like the rye very well. I have never cared for rye anything.

I was the same way when I first got into bourbon/rye. I tried it all, and I really tried to like ryes. All to no avail. Ask Scott. Back at the 2009 KBS, I gave him two or three bottles because I couldn't stand them. (He did give me something nice in return. :grin:) Since then I have been able to "take a liking" to a couple. VWFRR and Rittenhouse 23 yr old. The T H Handy and Saz 18 aren't too shabby either.

Your palate may or may not come around to ryes. So, just enjoy enjoy what you can, and try something new from time to time. Like I've said many times, "It's all good." :grin: Cheers! Joe