PDA

View Full Version : Introduction from Kansas

beerfactory
05-13-2011, 17:33
Recently (maybe five months ago) began drinking bourbon and am on my third handle of Evan Williams.

Currently, I also have open bottles of Baker's, WT 101, Buffalo Trace, Weller's 107, Woodford Reserve, and Fighting Cock.

The Weller's tasted strongly of cinnamon, so I left it alone after imbibing a few ounces. Several weeks later, I tried another pour. I've had a couple of ounces of it a week since then. Weller's 107 may be my favorite bourbon.

I like Evan Williams (maybe because I've had the most of it) and Fighting Cock quite a bit. My area lacks selection. After work today, I finished shopping the last liquor store in my area to check inventory. This store has EW Single Barrel (checked the bottom of the bottle and didn't see an obvious year marking) and also had Elijah Craig 18. So... I am mulling over those options. Other than Baker's, I haven't tried any Jim Beam yet (don't know why).

Sometime this summer, I will ride to Wichita and try to find some Old Forester.

Special Reserve
05-13-2011, 17:44
Wwelcome to SB.

Weller 107 along with all wheated bourbons are known to improve after being opened a few weeks.

It is a very good bourbon and a great value.

Are you into home brewing?

Will

beerfactory
05-13-2011, 18:21
I do like beer, although I do not drink it as often as I used to. When it comes to brewing, my talent is lacking. It seems I do not save much money or gain any real satisfaction by brewing over buying a superior product at similar cost.

Ciders and meads on the other hand... well, it just seems I can do better at home versus something I can readily find on the shelf. Plus, my wife has developed a taste for apfelwein.

Parkersback
05-13-2011, 18:59
Greetings, Beerfactory!!! Enjoy the journey!

beerfactory
05-19-2011, 19:05
Greetings, Beerfactory!!! Enjoy the journey!

I've now obtained/tried EWSB and JBB. They both tasted very good and were enjoyed. I'm not sure what's next on the radar (maybe Jim Beam White), I'll probably just work on the bottles that I have for a while.

beerfactory
05-19-2011, 19:17
shot in the dark: if anyone knows where to find a list of bourons available in KS, I would appreciate it (haven't been able to "google it up". the owner of a liquor store locally told me he would order anything I wanted. he couldn't tell me specifically what he could order.

I'm assuming he is limited by bourbons available in KS and further restricted by what his supplier has access to. MO is within range too, if anyone would happen to know of a link to their available bourbons.

Bourbon Boiler
05-19-2011, 19:18
Welcome aboard. Looks like you're sampling a pretty diverse selection for being fairly new.

jcg9779
05-20-2011, 18:10

I've now obtained/tried EWSB and JBB. They both tasted very good and were enjoyed. I'm not sure what's next on the radar (maybe Jim Beam White), I'll probably just work on the bottles that I have for a while.

Welcome Beerfactory. I hope you avoid Jim Beam White...while I'm one that certainly drank my fill of it in college when it was an easy drink to get drunk on, there are so many better options at similar prices. JBB (in the same family, obviously, and that you've already tried) is much better than JBW, in my opinion. I might suggest something like the standard Buffalo Trace, Old Forester Signature, or Elmer T. Lee for your next purchase. All should be under $30, and I find them to be good pours (not wheaters though). Of course, taste is subjective, but figuring out what you like and dislike is part of the fun of the bourbon journey!

If you don't mind spending some more money and are looking for wheaters, I'd look for Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof (or 90 proof, if that's all you see), the Pappy Van Winkle line (12, 15, or 20 year), or the Parker Heritage Collection 2010 edition (the PHC 2010 is a 10 year wheated mashbill bourbon, and it will set you back around $80, but it is an excellent bourbon).

There's something to be said for starting at the bottom and building your palate, but the Pappy Van Winkle 15 and 20 year and the PHC 2010 won't be around forever, so they might be worth picking up now and then trying them once you have built that base...just a thought.

gburger
05-20-2011, 21:34
Welcome to the site, you will find everyone here very helpful. All you need to do is ask.
Enjoy

beerfactory
05-21-2011, 10:05
Welcome Beerfactory. I hope you avoid Jim Beam White...I might suggest something like the standard Buffalo Trace, Old Forester Signature, or Elmer T. Lee for your next purchase.

...won't be around forever, so they might be worth picking up now and then trying them once you have built that base...just a thought.

tried JB white at a bar last night. I enjoyed it, but I do not think I will stock a bottle. Buffalo Trace is good, I only have a couple pours left of this and will replace before I run out.

Old Forester Signature and ETL, I will keep an eye out for these. We may be going to a Royal's game tomorrow which will mean I can stop at a larger MO liquor store.

I'm not ready to justify spending $80 on a bottle at this point. It would probably set me back with the wife and hurt my long term prospects of stocking bottles.

Ian S.
05-21-2011, 18:54
Welcome to the site! You've found OWA and Buffalo Trace, not a bad start!:grin:

beerfactory
06-02-2011, 10:06
Picked up a bottle of Ezra Brooks and I it very much. Really, I haven't found a bourbon that I don't like to this point. Open bottles: Evan Williams BL, EW SB, Woodford, Buffalo Trace, Ezra Brooks, Jim Beam Black, Bookers

I've noticed that I do not go to the Woodford as often as the others. My friends generally ask for it, but normally shoot it rather than sip (which is fine).

craigthom
06-03-2011, 04:11
This store has EW Single Barrel (checked the bottom of the bottle and didn't see an obvious year marking)

It was bottled around ten years after the date on the label.

beerfactory
06-04-2011, 17:56
I have purchased every bottle of 2000 EWSB in my town. One of the stores gets a shipment Weds (they all use the same distributor). I'll soon know if we will be getting 2001 or not.

beerfactory
06-14-2011, 13:54
we did get 2001 EWSWB shipped to my town (no more 2000's locally, which is sad). I haven't tried the 2001 yet but I did pick up a bottle.

also, I was gifted a bottle of Booker's which I am also excited about. it is only about a third full and has sat in a freezer for three years, so I am not sure if it will taste "right."

beerfactory
06-25-2011, 23:44
I added a bottle of EC12 to my cabinet last evening. Have had a couple pours and am enjoying it.

At this point, I am drinking a couple ounces of EW nightly. Every few days, I really enjoy EWSB. EC12 might make the regular rotation as well, especially if it improves after opening the way EWSB does for me.

PaulO
06-26-2011, 13:38
Weicome to the site, A couple good pours that you can probably find are Wild Turkey 101, and Old Grandad 114 or bonded.

beerfactory
07-08-2011, 17:49
I do like WT 101 but think there are better pours for less coin. I would love to try OG114 but it's not here.

Went to MO last week and picked up a 4 Roses Yellow label based on what I read here. yummy!

kc outdoorsman
07-12-2011, 06:27
beer- where are you located? I am in KC and we have a good selection of bourbons although I can't get VOB or AAA anywhere in KS or Mo. Let me know if you need help

DeanSheen
07-12-2011, 07:23
Welcome aboard.

The best piece of advice I can give you is around here, beware of anyone named Joe!

beerfactory
07-14-2011, 10:25
beer- where are you located? I am in KC and we have a good selection of bourbons although I can't get VOB or AAA anywhere in KS or Mo. Let me know if you need help

I am between KC and Wichita. Actually, I picked up my yellow label while in KC (Northland) but have seen it in Wichita and Topeka as well. It seems there is more selection on the MO side of KC than the KS side.

Would love to see AAA or VOB but my local liquor stores can't even order it.

beerfactory
10-07-2011, 20:44
I cannot say I have tried any new bourbons since I last posted in this thread. A buddy of mine have been enjoying bourbon together on Sunday evenings, he usually pours Makers Mark - so, I've been having a taste of that on a weekly basis.

We have also gone through a bottle of Ri and Jim Beam Rye.

I have been sticking to EWB and Fighting Cock as my regular pours. I'm enjoying some Fighting Cock right now!

beerfactory
10-14-2011, 16:17
While re-upping EWBL today, I noticed Wild Turkey Rare Reserve 10yr 90 proof was on sale. Picked up a bottle for $25 out the door. That's the best price I've seen it at around here.

Can't wait to try a pour this weekend!!!

beerfactory
12-01-2011, 18:53
Russell's Reserve is what I meant in the last post. I've had several bottles of it now and enjoy it.

I have been trying to order Rittenhouse BIB the last several weeks, but the local liquor stores cannot get it from the distributers. My state (KS), I believe prevents me from ordering online...

beerfactory
12-14-2011, 18:32
I am about halfway through a bottle of Ezra Brooks 101. Found this to be pretty similar to EWBL. In fact, I have a bit of difficulty telling them apart. First ounce or so, I can differentiate pretty well. After that, it gets more difficult.

Also, I bought another bottle of Old Weller Antique 107 and am getting ready to crack it open.

ErichPryde
12-14-2011, 20:42
Recently (maybe five months ago) began drinking bourbon and am on my third handle of Evan Williams.

Currently, I also have open bottles of Baker's, WT 101, Buffalo Trace, Weller's 107, Woodford Reserve, and Fighting Cock.

The Weller's tasted strongly of cinnamon, so I left it alone after imbibing a few ounces. Several weeks later, I tried another pour. I've had a couple of ounces of it a week since then. Weller's 107 may be my favorite bourbon.

I like Evan Williams (maybe because I've had the most of it) and Fighting Cock quite a bit. My area lacks selection. After work today, I finished shopping the last liquor store in my area to check inventory. This store has EW Single Barrel (checked the bottom of the bottle and didn't see an obvious year marking) and also had Elijah Craig 18. So... I am mulling over those options. Other than Baker's, I haven't tried any Jim Beam yet (don't know why).

Sometime this summer, I will ride to Wichita and try to find some Old Forester.

Beerfactory, welcome to the site. I lived in Wichita for 2 years before Tucson. feel free to PM me for some details as to what you may find there.... Not sure how much Old Forester was there to begin with.

beerfactory
12-22-2011, 09:04
picked up some OGD 114 about a week ago and I like it quite a bit. Just last night, I found a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB on the shelf (just one). can't wait to crack it open.

so far, I am still drinking more EWBL than anything. I think EWBL and OWA 107 are probably my favorites at this point.

Erich,
thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it!

ErichPryde
12-22-2011, 19:44
No problem- Enjoy the Rittenhouse! OWA and Ritt are two of my go-to's of the current, available stuff.

In fact, Rittenhouse is just about the only off the shelf label that I buy with regularity anymore...