PDA

View Full Version : Weller 12 yo, Bottled in 1985

Neat
05-13-2011, 16:40
can anyone tell me what the likely source of the juice is? i tried searching online and found nothing.

sku
05-13-2011, 16:51
can anyone tell me what the likely source of the juice is? i tried searching online and found nothing.

Is this a trick question? I assume it would be Stitzel-Weller.

craigthom
05-13-2011, 16:56

And if it's older than twelve, which is a possibility, then it could be real Van Winkle S-W juice. Right?

Josh
05-13-2011, 17:34
And if it's older than twelve, which is a possibility, then it could be real Van Winkle S-W juice. Right?

Not outside the realm of possibility. It would be glut whiskey.

Neat
05-13-2011, 17:47

not a trick question. a newbie question. i wasn't sure. found a handle today along with some other goodies. bought it because the price was right (under $40). if it is SW juice, it would be my first SW dusty find. also got some other goodies ( finally found ER 10/101). today's hunt was pretty productive.

Josh
05-13-2011, 17:52
not a trick question. a newbie question. i wasn't sure. found a handle today along with some other goodies. bought it because the price was right (under $40). if it is SW juice, it would be my first SW dusty find. also got some other goodies ( finally found ER 10/101). today's hunt was pretty productive.

If it was bottled in 1985 it is definately S-W. The only q is if it is S-W from when the Van Winkles were still running the show.

Parkersback
05-13-2011, 17:58
if it is SW juice...

Send it to me and I'll tell you.

Virus_Of_Life
05-13-2011, 18:17
I didn't know Weller 12 existed that long ago, do us all a favor and post a photo please.

OscarV
05-13-2011, 18:18
Send it to me and I'll tell you.

Good responce.

Juice?
I have never had it but OJ from FL is good juice.
Bourbon? That's another issue.

Josh
05-13-2011, 18:23
Good responce.

Juice?
I have never had it but OJ from FL is good juice.
Bourbon? That's another issue.

Are you a member of the Georgia Bourbon Society now Oscar?

OscarV
05-13-2011, 18:26
Are you a member of the Georgia Bourbon Society now Oscar?

Nope, cuz as stated juice is from FL,
Pecans are from GA, peaches are from SC and peanuts are from AL.

Neat
05-13-2011, 19:48
I didn't know Weller 12 existed that long ago, do us all a favor and post a photo please.
my bad. i just snuck the bottle into the house while the wife is watching tv. it was bottled in 1988, NOT 1985. still SW?

sku
05-13-2011, 20:02
my bad. i just snuck the bottle into the house while the wife is watching tv. it was bottled in 1988, NOT 1985. still SW?

Yup. Stitzel-Weller closed in '91. Probably less likely to be Pappy Juice though (though it could have some in it).

sku
05-13-2011, 20:11

Yeah, I didn't either. I'd also like to see a photo.

Neat
05-13-2011, 20:23
Yeah, I didn't either. I'd also like to see a photo.

thanks! i'll post a photo. may take a while though. wife put the hammer down on whiskey purchases 30 bottles ago:slappin: i have to take pictures when she isn't watching.

cowdery
05-13-2011, 22:08
How did you determine it was bottled in 1985 or 1988? If you're using the numbers embossed in the glass on the bottom of the bottle, those don't always mean what we think they mean. It depends on the glass maker if they mean anything we can interpret. It's not anything like an exact science and this is a perfect example, because Weller 12 year old was introduced by Buffalo Trace after they got the brand in 1999. Old bottle/label, then it might still be S-W juice, but it definitely wasn't bottled in the eighties.

Regardless of whether or not it's S-W, it's still good whiskey for which you paid a fair price.

sku
05-13-2011, 23:37
How did you determine it was bottled in 1985 or 1988? If you're using the numbers embossed in the glass on the bottom of the bottle, those don't always mean what we think they mean. It depends on the glass maker if they mean anything we can interpret. It's not anything like an exact science and this is a perfect example, because Weller 12 year old was introduced by Buffalo Trace after they got the brand in 1999. Old bottle/label, then it might still be S-W juice, but it definitely wasn't bottled in the eighties.

See, it was a trick question.

Virus_Of_Life
05-14-2011, 01:52
See, it was a trick question.

Regardless of whether or not it's S-W, it's still good whiskey for which you paid a fair price.

Yes, a real good lesson for all the new members from the past few years who take bottom numbers of glass as gospel; it doesn't always mean what you want it to, common sense if you have any should prevail. I knew Weller 12 wasn't around then.

But of course on that apartment number website they may make things up differently at they choose. :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

DeanSheen
05-14-2011, 06:52
Nope, cuz as stated juice is from FL,

You GBS guys can drink some of my juice anytime.

cowdery
05-14-2011, 13:37
We have had some distillery folks tell us the numbers mean nothing, others that they indicate the date that particular bottle mold was put into service. I suspect it means something slightly different for every bottle maker.

You can use those numbers as part of a package of clues and when all of the pieces fit together you can feel like you have an answer. I have had too many occasions in which the clues, including the bottle numbers, all added up to the same answer to discount bottle numbers altogether, but when an inquiry starts as this one did, the person is probably putting too much stake in the bottle numbers.

OscarV
05-16-2011, 15:59
But of course on that apartment number website they may make things up differently at they choose. :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:
Oh, for god's sake, I am laughing so hard my stomach is killing me!!!
Dude!!! You are the ultimate of StraightBourbon.com moderators!!!
Keep up the good work!!! Just between you and me,.. what's the difference between Republicans & meth dealers,..hey, I'm only askin'.
Do you and the other moderators represent Mr Butler's point of view?
BTW (BTW means by the way) if you want to know the real apartment number just ask.
But don't ask me!!:grin: :grin: :grin:
It's OK 'cuz I included smiley faces!!
:slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

CorvallisCracker
05-16-2011, 19:25

Wait...I thought Georgia is "The Peach State"

I see nothing in this thread that makes that statement relevant. Just needed to take a shot and this was as good a place as any?

And don't you mean "as they choose"? :cool:

DeanSheen
05-16-2011, 19:32
Wait...I thought Georgia is "The Peach State"

I see nothing in this thread that makes statement relevant. Just needed to take a shot and this was as good a place as any?

And don't you mean "as they choose"? :cool:

Really? :cool:

Now where can I get me some of that 1985 Weller 12?

CorvallisCracker
05-16-2011, 19:40

No, not really. :rolleyes:

eBay! :lol:

DeanSheen
05-16-2011, 19:46
Aw shucks. The AS thing was funny in light of this:

"I see nothing in this thread that makes statement relevant."

Don't you mean THIS statement?

CorvallisCracker
05-16-2011, 21:15
Aw shucks. The AS thing was funny in light of this:

"I see nothing in this thread that makes statement relevant."

Don't you mean THIS statement?

No, I meant THAT statement! :lol:

In the future, when I decide to reword a sentence, I need to just delete the entire thing and start from scratch!

Neat
05-20-2011, 15:45

i corrected it to 1988 and apparently, it isn't 1988 but if you are interested, let me know what you are willing to pay for it and i'll consider it.:grin:

cowdery
05-20-2011, 16:20
Read the rest of the thread. It's not 1988 either. It can't be earlier than 1999, and 2000 is more likely, as that's when BT introduced the 12-year-old expression. There was no Weller 12 in 1988.

Neat
05-20-2011, 20:27
Read the rest of the thread. It's not 1988 either. It can't be earlier than 1999, and 2000 is more likely, as that's when BT introduced the 12-year-old expression. There was no Weller 12 in 1988.
chuck, i got that it isn't 1988 (see my post above). i am still curious about when the bourbon was distilled and bottled though. is there any place that explains how to read bar codes (assuming that the info is in there)? also, if it was bottled in say 2000, it would have had to been distilled in 1988, correct? was BT distilling weller bourbon in 1988?

Rughi
05-20-2011, 21:32
...was BT distilling weller bourbon in 1988?

I think if you search the archives, you'll find that Ed Foote at AA/BT was supplementing SW wheat bourbon at about this time. Maybe it was a few years sooner or later, though.

The story of the juice in Fitzes and Wellers is not as simple as it may seem at first.

Roger

cowdery
05-20-2011, 23:19
Ed Foote was distiller at Stitzel-Weller, then Bernheim, never AA/BT.

Rughi
05-21-2011, 09:52
Ed Foote was distiller at Stitzel-Weller, then Bernheim, never AA/BT.

I searched the archives and found it was Gary Gayheart (http://www.buffalotrace.com/history_GGayheart_m.asp) at AA/BT who made some wheat bourbon to supplement stocks at SW in 1991. Ken Weber, who was at BT at the time he made this post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=38382&postcount=96), confirms it.

That snippet of information doesn't speak to whether AA/BT made wheater juice only in '91, or if it happened in other years during that time period as well. Why would they do that? One answer is supplied by Jim Murray, who writes in his Complete Book of Whiskey (1997, p148) how SW had been distilling at full capacity in the early '90s for a European launch of Rebel Yell that never really took off.

Roger

CaptainQ
05-21-2011, 10:14
I searched the archives and found it was Gary Gayheart (http://www.buffalotrace.com/history_GGayheart_m.asp) at AA/BT who made some wheat bourbon to supplement stocks at SW in 1991. Ken Weber, who was at BT at the time he made this post (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=38382&postcount=96), confirms it.

That snippet of information doesn't speak to whether AA/BT made wheater juice only in '91, or if it happened in other years during that time period as well. Why would they do that? One answer is supplied by Jim Murray, who writes in his Complete Book of Whiskey (1997, p148) how SW had been distilling at full capacity in the early '90s for a European launch of Rebel Yell that never really took off.

Roger

Thanks Roger for the great info.

Josh
05-21-2011, 10:28
oy, back to this question again.:rolleyes:

Rughi
05-21-2011, 10:47
oy, back to this question again.:rolleyes:

I don't know what you're rolling your eyes about. Post 30-33 directly address answering the OP's request in Post 29.

Neat
05-21-2011, 11:39

Roger

Roger, appreciate your responses and answers. I guess I may never know. So it could be SW or not or some combination? Time to open up that baby and see what it tastes like I guess.

Rughi
05-21-2011, 12:11
Roger, appreciate your responses and answers. I guess I may never know. So it could be SW or not or some combination? Time to open up that baby and see what it tastes like I guess.

Who knows if it's 100% SW or if there are some other barrels mixed in? Unless I misunderstand, this is the standard Weller 12, which is a vatted product. So it's not like a single barrel where there could be an "is it or isn't it" type of issue.

More importantly, how's it taste? (I'm guessing pretty good!)

Enjoy your whiskey, Neat.
Enjoy your whiskey Neat!
Enjoy - (it's) your whiskey, Neat.

Josh
05-21-2011, 14:04
I was having flashbacks to seemingly never-ending speculation on the origins of Jefferson's 17 y/o.

CorvallisCracker
05-21-2011, 14:55
I was having flashbacks to seemingly never-ending speculation on the origins of Jefferson's 17 y/o.

Jefferson did not make it. :lol:

OscarV
05-21-2011, 15:05

Scott, that is the first thing I have heard about Jeff 17 that I do belive.

Josh
05-22-2011, 11:12

Scott, that is the first thing I have heard about Jeff 17 that I do belive.

B-b-b-but the guy at the liquour store told me it was from a recipe found in the papers of Thomas Jefferson and then it was aged in Stitzel-Weller barrels.