PDA

View Full Version : Newb from Austin, Tx

Ian S.
05-13-2011, 22:07
Greetings!

I've been in the industry for most of my adult life and over the last 4-5 years have really found a home with bourbon. I'm out trying to obtain as many different bourbons as I can......I have definitely caught the collecting bug. I look forward to learning even more and enjoying some good discussions here on SB.

-Ian

Neat
05-13-2011, 22:17
Greetings!

I've been in the industry for most of my adult life and over the last 4-5 years have really found a home with bourbon. I'm out trying to obtain as many different bourbons as I can......I have definitely caught the collecting bug. I look forward to learning even more and enjoying some good discussions here on SB.

-Ian
welcome ian from another texan! long time whiskey fan, new to collecting (last 3 years). austin is a great place.

Ian S.
05-14-2011, 11:35
Thanks for the welcome. I'm currently trying to juggle a list of other expensive hobbies with this newly found expensive hobby, not eay when you're trying to play catch up to people that have been collecting for years. :grin:

bcrossan
05-14-2011, 12:11
So you are the reason I can never find older bourbons on the shelf in Austin!! :slappin::lol::grin:

Ian S.
05-14-2011, 14:01
Quite possibly. :grin:

I've had quite a few complaints from other people in Austin about my hoarding. :cool:

bcrossan
05-14-2011, 15:19
Quite possibly. :grin:

I've had quite a few complaints from other people in Austin about my hoarding. :cool:

My wife complains about my hoarding as well:skep:

Ian S.
05-14-2011, 15:23
My wife complains about my hoarding as well:skep:

Unfortunately, mine as well. I'm sneaking bottles into my bunker on a weekly basis without her knowing. :lol:

bcrossan
05-14-2011, 16:09
Unfortunately, mine as well. I'm sneaking bottles into my bunker on a weekly basis without her knowing. :lol:

Ditto. The work laptop bag makes for a great smuggling vessel :grin:

Ian S.
05-14-2011, 16:56
Laptop bags and bowling ball bags are excellent. Dispatching of the noisy brown paper bags is always the hardest thing to do.

Parkersback
05-14-2011, 17:27
Ian, greetings from NYC!!!

Ian S.
05-14-2011, 17:35
Ian, greetings from NYC!!!

Greetings! I've got my father poking around Albany and other stores upstate for me. :grin:

How are the pickings in the city?

gburger
05-18-2011, 21:11
Ian, Nice meeting you last week at Twin's.
I found a bottle of Stagg at Chris' and a bottle of Experimental at the other place you mentioned to me.
Thanks for the heads up. Still need a bottle of Pappy 15.
I am getting a case of the Single Oak project this week.
We need to get all of the Austin people together for our own meet up.

gburger
05-18-2011, 21:13
I also have to hide bottles as I get them.

The wife gets a bit upset.

bcrossan
05-18-2011, 21:24
I found a bottle of Stagg at Chris' and a bottle of Experimental at the other place you mentioned to me.

Count me in, always good to meet fellow whiskey nuts

Ian S.
05-18-2011, 21:44

I also have to hide bottles as I get them.

The wife gets a bit upset.

Good meeting you too, Greg.

I'm happy to help out. hopefully Chris' didn't charge you too much. I've got a PVW23 placed if you're interested.

Meeting? I'm in!

jcg9779
05-18-2011, 22:02
Welcome to the site, Ian! I'm sorry I missed this when you first joined. It was good talking with you in chat tonight...hopefully you can find some hidden gems in Austin that might have been overlooked in the past!

Ian S.
05-18-2011, 22:08
Welcome to the site, Ian! I'm sorry I missed this when you first joined. It was good talking with you in chat tonight...hopefully you can find some hidden gems in Austin that might have been overlooked in the past!

Thanks! I will be looking!:grin:

timd
05-18-2011, 23:55
I don't need much excuse to head down to Austin from Dallas - and Whiskey is more than enough motivation to sit on I35 for a few hours!

StraightNoChaser
05-23-2011, 10:12
If you guys do an Austin meetup count me in!

gburger
06-03-2011, 16:48
Looks like we need to do a Austin night somewhere

Ian S.
06-05-2011, 16:32
Looks like we need to do a Austin night somewhere

Indeed, Gregg. Maybe Trifecta or Ten Oak.

gburger
06-05-2011, 21:29
Ian, check this out.
http://www.meetup.com/Bourbon-Talk/

Ian S.
06-06-2011, 13:59
Ian, check this out.
http://www.meetup.com/Bourbon-Talk/

Joined up. I wonder how serious these guys are. I do know that the owner and manager over at Trifecta aren't as knowledgeable as I thought.

gburger
06-06-2011, 14:33
It looks like Trifecta is just trying to use this Meetup group as an ad for the bar.

Ian S.
06-06-2011, 15:05
It looks like Trifecta is just trying to use this Meetup group as an ad for the bar.

I wouldn't doubt it. They were pushing pretty hard last week for me to bring my friends by because they have over 99 bourbons!

gburger
06-06-2011, 16:28
I have over 40 and you have quite a few we should open our own place.

Ian S.
06-06-2011, 17:08

It truly wouldn't be hard to amass a collection to trump the bars here in Austin. The only problem is that the customers for premium bourbon don't seem to be at the point of really supporting these bars. A lot of bourbon ignorance around here.

bcrossan
06-06-2011, 17:41

Too bad TABC and TX distributors wouldn't like that idea as much as I would :hot::rolleyes:

bcrossan
06-06-2011, 17:44
Are you guys going to the Jefferson's tasting on Wed at Twin Hancock? I was thinking of going for it

Ian S.
06-06-2011, 18:12
Too bad TABC and TX distributors wouldn't like that idea as much as I would :hot::rolleyes:

Yep. TABC, RNDC, and Glazer's have a stranglehold on the supply chain.

Ian S.
06-06-2011, 18:13
Are you guys going to the Jefferson's tasting on Wed at Twin Hancock? I was thinking of going for it

I am and I'm pretty sure Gregg is as well.

bcrossan
06-06-2011, 22:42
I am and I'm pretty sure Gregg is as well.

Cool, will see you guys there

Ian S.
06-07-2011, 17:43
Cool, will see you guys there

I was hoping that there would be the Twin's private bottling and the 18yr being sampled but from what I heard today, no dice. Just plain old Jefferson's through the jPS17.

See you there.

bcrossan
06-10-2011, 19:22
For my fellow Austinites. Beverage World down at I35 and Oltorf just got a case of BT Single Oak Project and also 2 each of the 2010 BTEC. Go get em while you can! Talk to either Rohit, Eric, or Bart, they are all good guys and let em know that Bryan sent you

gburger
06-10-2011, 20:50
For my fellow Austinites. Beverage World down at I35 and Oltorf just got a case of BT Single Oak Project and also 2 each of the 2010 BTEC. Go get em while you can! Talk to either Rohit, Eric, or Bart, they are all good guys and let em know that Bryan sent you
Thanks for the tip, I have not been to that store yet. I did manage to find some Single Oak today. I picked up three bottles.

mozilla
06-10-2011, 23:17
So you are the reason I can never find older bourbons on the shelf in Austin!! :slappin::lol::grin:

That would probably be me...for dusties, at least. Sorry.

Welcome aboard. Hope to see Y'all around town sometime soon.

bcrossan
06-11-2011, 07:18
Thanks for the tip, I have not been to that store yet. I did manage to find some Single Oak today. I picked up three bottles.

They have one of the better selections of whisk(e)y in town and they are always willing to bring something in for you

theDon
06-11-2011, 09:32
That would probably be me...for dusties, at least. Sorry.

Welcome aboard. Hope to see Y'all around town sometime soon.

And you are the reason there are no dusties in Dallas too!:smiley_acbt:

mozilla
06-29-2011, 16:11

I really don't think that is the case.

Bourbon Boiler
06-29-2011, 18:25

As of 7:00 Central time, they had 1 left of the '91 rediscovered and 6 remaining '93 rediscovered. This is one fewer of each than they had at 6:30 CT.

They had none of the '89 rediscovered, but they had probably a dozen bottles from the Single Oak Project.

StraightNoChaser
06-30-2011, 07:30
There were a handful up until I picked the bones clean :grin:

theDon
06-30-2011, 11:37
I really don't think that is the case.

Ok, I guess I'm guilty too. Just funnin' ya Jeff.

smokinjoe
06-30-2011, 13:46
Shoot, while we're all fessin' up, I've dragged a few cases out of Dallas. :D

Bourbon Boiler
06-30-2011, 19:35

That was an interesting beer store next door as well. Pretty decent ratio of microbrews per square foot of store space for a place like that, plus a lot of people drinking in the bar area.

bcrossan
06-30-2011, 22:30
[quote=Bourbon Boiler;252415]That was an interesting beer store next door as well. Pretty decent ratio of microbrews per square foot of store space for a place like that, plus a lot of people drinking in the bar area.[/qu

That's Whip In and the other part of the family business. One of the better beer selections in town

Bourbon Boiler
07-23-2011, 19:36
[quote=Bourbon Boiler;252415]That was an interesting beer store next door as well. Pretty decent ratio of microbrews per square foot of store space for a place like that, plus a lot of people drinking in the bar area.[/qu

That's Whip In and the other part of the family business. One of the better beer selections in town

If I ever get a chance to spend some real time in ATX, I'll have to remember that exit.

bcrossan
11-03-2011, 06:51
I wanted to pass along the word that I have teamed up with a friend of mine Rohit Topiwala to create the Austin Whisk(e)y Society. We will be hosting our very first event on Nov 16th at Whip In (1950 South I H 35) from 6-8PM. The cost of the event will be $12 to help our friends at Whip In cover their set up costs. We hope to get to a regular meeting schedule where all types of whisk(e)y enthusiasts can come together and socialize with their favorite beverages. The format for this meeting will be that everyone brings a bottle to share amongst the group. You can find more details at our Facebook page. Even if you cannot make this event please do me a favor and spread the word as we are trying to reach out and find as many whisk(e)y fanatics as possible.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Austin-Whiskey-Society/222888021060067

Slainte/Cheers!

Bryan