PDA

View Full Version : What bourbon DO you regret buying?

Parkersback
05-14-2011, 10:55
When I first came to SB, I read some of the "Best Cheap Pours/Bargains" threads, and there I read many folks (not the least of which was Chuck Cowdery) mention JTS Brown and Old Fitzgerald as decent, bottom-shelf bourbons. On a trip through Texas, I picked up a handle of OF and a liter of JTS.

When I got them home, I was startled at how thin, weak, and bad they both were. I couldn't figure it out. I tried hard to like them, but couldn't. "But Chuck Cowdery likes these whiskeys", I thought. "He has a website. They don't give those out to just anyone!"

I went back and re-read those "Best Cheap Pours" threads again, and realized my mistake: what everyone was talking about were the bonded/100 proof versions of those whiskeys. I had grabbed Old Fitz Prime, and JTS 80 proof.

Gosh, they were bad. I ended up cooking with one of them, and infusing the other, I think.

Ian S.
05-14-2011, 11:24
I used to buy anything on the shelf just to try it....I really regret the purchase of Rebel Reserve. Unimpressive and thin.

CaptainQ
05-14-2011, 11:33
Beam's version of Old Taylor. C R A P

BMartin42
05-14-2011, 12:36
I'll second the Rebel Reserve. Eeesh!

Special Reserve
05-14-2011, 13:54
I'll second that OF Prime.

I was out hunting and in a store that was new to me. I bought a pewter WTKS and a Weller Centennial and two Old Fitzgerald Prime.

It turns out the OF Prime was a new product and comparatively thin. For those who asked for bourbon and coke or ginger, this is what they got in generous proportions. Almost always got the this is really good as a comment. Go figure.

DeanSheen
05-14-2011, 14:06
EC 12 - 2 times...not gonna be 3, it worked well as a lamb marinade.
AAA 10 Star - the guy I gave it to drank it so that made me feel better.

TomH
05-14-2011, 14:30
As I've told many people, I know I've got more stuff in my bunker than I will ever be able to drink in my lifetime. As I look on my shelves, I see several bottles that I will probably never open, since I've got too many other bottles that I really enjoy more.

Things that I wish I had not purchased (or maybe not purchased as many)
BTAC Sazeracs
BTAC Eagle Rare (with the exception of the 2008)
BTEC (at least I finally passed on the latest "lost" barrel set)
Old Charters 12 (jumped on these when they were discontinued)
Most of my Turkeys (I bought most of these before I took the time to realize that I'm not really a big Turkey fan)

ebo
05-14-2011, 15:28
AAA 10 Star and Rebel Reserve.

WsmataU
05-14-2011, 15:34
I may be burned alive for saying this on this site, but for me it was AH Hirsch 16 yr gold foil. I read all the hype and finally ran across one at a reasonable price and really looked forward to trying it. When I finally tried it, I was happy because I hadn't caved and bought one off Ebay for even more money. That bottle confirmed that you don't have to spend a bunch of money to get fantastic bourbon. I don't enjoy the bottom shelf as much as some on here do, but that revelation made me much more selective about the bottles I purchased in the future. Now I buy almost exclusively wheaters across the range of pricing.

OscarV
05-14-2011, 15:38
I can't exactley say regret because I wanted to try everything so I did.
But it's like a lot of other things in life as far as the saying goes, if I only knew then what I know now.

cigarnv
05-14-2011, 15:46
EW SB.... never reach for these.. several open and suspect they will be here for years to come...

The Boozer
05-14-2011, 16:10
Beam's version of Old Taylor. C R A P

2nd that!. Lucky, I only bought a 375 ml bottle several years ago and used most of it for mixing.

flintlock
05-14-2011, 17:06
Heaven Hill BIB gold label. Honestly made me shiver. Wound up in a variety of baked goods.

T Comp
05-14-2011, 17:42
I can't exactley say regret because I wanted to try everything so I did.
But it's like a lot of other things in life as far as the saying goes, if I only knew then what I know now.

I'm with Oscar. And I know now that most minimally aged craft distillery bourbons are not for me.

unclebunk
05-14-2011, 18:16

Ain't those the lyrics from the Faces' classic tune "Ooh La La"?:grin:

ethangsmith
05-14-2011, 18:18
This is a perfect thread to showcase how personal tastes in bourbon differs from one of us to another.

My regrets list:
Old Weller 107
Old Weller Antique
Eagle Rare 10yo
Ezra Brooks Single Barrel
Old Forester 86

callmeox
05-14-2011, 18:49
One regret:

Wild Turkey 101 Rye... AKA gasoline in a nice looking bottle.

harshest
05-14-2011, 18:57
I don't really regret buying any bourbon, however there are some that I will never buy again.

sku
05-14-2011, 19:01
In the early hype around American craft whiskeys, I invested in a number of them at considerable expense. Most of them are still mostly full.

ebo
05-14-2011, 19:01
I don't really regret buying any bourbon, however there are some that I will never buy again.
That just about sums it up perfectly.

Parkersback
05-14-2011, 19:12
As I've told many people, I know I've got more stuff in my bunker than I will ever be able to drink in my lifetime. As I look on my shelves, I see several bottles that I will probably never open, since I've got too many other bottles that I really enjoy more.

BTAC Sazeracs
BTAC Eagle Rare (with the exception of the 2008)
BTEC (at least I finally passed on the latest "lost" barrel set)
Old Charters 12 (jumped on these when they were discontinued)
Most of my Turkeys (I bought most of these before I took the time to realize that I'm not really a big Turkey fan)

That frantic clicking sound you hear is the typing of dozens of SB members PM'ing Tom H, asking him which WT products he has, and how they might get them off his hands.

Vosgar
05-14-2011, 19:17
Wild Turkey 101 Rye... AKA gasoline in a nice looking bottle.

Agree with you on this one Scott. I gave mine away to a well known SB Turkey fanatic.

Gary

ebo
05-14-2011, 19:27
Hmmm..... I would have to disagree with the gasoline description :grin: .

Having finally found WT Rye, I have to say that I really enjoy it.

edit: I see this is my 426th post... my favorite "gasoline" powered engine. 426 Hemi anyone?

BourbonJoe
05-14-2011, 20:22
I also enjoy WT Rye. To my liking it is one of the better ryes for the money.
Joe :usflag:

rocky480
05-14-2011, 20:54
I can't say that I really regret buying it because I did want to try it, but the money I spent on the current version of Old Fitz BIB would have provided me more enjoyment if I had put it in a pile and lit it on fire.

I've found that bourbon to be suitable only for mixing with other liquids that complete mask the taste of the bourbon.

G.H.Adams
05-14-2011, 21:17
The only bottle of bourbon that I regret buying was EC 12. The first pour made me shiver. I thought I would let it air out for awhile and try it again. Several months passed and I tried another pour. Well it still tasted like bilge water. I poured it down the sink so the rats in the sewer could get a buzz. It may have just been a bad bottle but I have never bought it again.

callmeox
05-14-2011, 21:24
Hmmm..... I would have to disagree with the gasoline description :grin: .

Having finally found WT Rye, I have to say that I really enjoy it.

edit: I see this is my 426th post... my favorite "gasoline" powered engine. 426 Hemi anyone?

I also enjoy WT Rye. To my liking it is one of the better ryes for the money.
Joe :usflag:

Geez, cut me some slack.

The title of the thread is "What bourbon DO you regret buying?" not "What do you think about what other SB members regret buying?" or "Let's debate what other members regret buying!" :grin:

I admit that I was partially off topic with listing a rye whiskey as my choice, but I think that's allowed.

For both above, I will just say...I'm glad to leave more for you to enjoy.

ThomasH
05-14-2011, 21:51
None. If I don't like them straight, they all blend well with ginger ale. The bottle I most compare to gasoline? My bottle of FR small batch. Burns like an SOB going down!

Thomas

ratcheer
05-15-2011, 06:18
I have regretted many bourbon purchases over the past 40 years, but the only recent purchases that come to mind are 1792 and Bulleit.

Tim

ebo
05-15-2011, 09:01
Geez, cut me some slack.

The title of the thread is "What bourbon DO you regret buying?" not "What do you think about what other SB members regret buying?" or "Let's debate what other members regret buying!" :grin:

I admit that I was partially off topic with listing a rye whiskey as my choice, but I think that's allowed.

For both above, I will just say...I'm glad to leave more for you to enjoy.
LOL... I didn't mean to come across like I was bagging on you. It was just a spur of the moment response. :lol:

MarkEdwards
05-15-2011, 10:02
For me, it was ORVW 10/107. It tasted so medicinal that I couldn't drink it. However, it did not go to waste - it became part of my eggnog blend later that year.

StraightNoChaser
05-15-2011, 10:50
First time I got my OGD114 I was disappointed... but I didn't know how to appreciate it then. Now I really enjoy it.

Recently I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace and it was truly uninspiring to me. However, it makes decent mint juleps

dbk
05-15-2011, 12:41
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2009. I stumbled upon it just after having read great things about the 2010 release. Not paying sufficient attention to the label, I brought the 2009 home (the 2010 wasn't on the shelf yet). Worse, I paid duty on that sucker, so the final price was nearly double the standard price. I know there's some debate around these parts about whether it's a "bad" whiskey or just a peculiar one, but it's plain awful in my books.

DeanSheen
05-15-2011, 13:09
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2009. I stumbled upon it just after having read great things about the 2010 release. Not paying sufficient attention to the label, I brought the 2009 home (the 2010 wasn't on the shelf yet). Worse, I paid duty on that sucker, so the final price was nearly double the standard price. I know there's some debate around these parts about whether it's a "bad" whiskey or just a peculiar one, but it's plain awful in my books.

I won't buy any Birthday Bourbon in the future. I was excited to get two bottles of 2007 and the one I opened only has about 4 pours out of it. I just don't like it.

I have learned since that I'm just not a fan of any HH products except for the Parkers Heritage series and Rittenhouse BIB. Not sure why, I'm just not into the house profile.

Josh
05-15-2011, 13:31

I was one of the defenders of the 09 OFBB and I still don't think it was as bad as some said it was, but maybe I just don't have a "superior palate". That said, it still wasn't nearly as good as the 07, 08 or even the 2010 edition. Easily the worst OFBB I've had.

Regrets? I've had a few. What I regret most are expensive bottles that didn't deliver. ER 17 and Handy (never had a year I thought was worth the $$$), and Vintage 17, the old non-wheater version. That and the ER 17 were just dull to me.

The last bottle of Handy I bought, I diluted it to 90 proof and had it alongside Baby Saz and I could not tell the difference. The price was such then that it was still a bargain. By the time I finished it the price had gone up and it was no longer worth it to me. Ironically, it's currently easier to find than the baby Saz, at least around here.

camduncan
05-15-2011, 14:22
I've only ever had 1 bottle I really regret buying - Fighting Cock. I stumbled onto the last stocks in our state and bought out the remaining 2 bottles in the store. Unfortunately it just isn't my taste - too raw with a burn from start to finish.

I've had three bottles that I regreted buying - not because I don't like the brand, but because the bottles were tainted. Each one exhibited a medicinal and mouldy earth characharistic (even mixing with Coke doesn't cover the taint).. They were Elijah Craig 18, Old Grand Dad 114 and George Dickel Barrel Select.
I've definately tasted examples of each of these bottles that were great, so I know it was my bottles. Will I buy them again? Definately! But it would only take another tainted example of any of them to put my off the brand for good :skep:

humchan2k
05-15-2011, 23:01
[quote=TomH;245889]As I've told many people, I know I've got more stuff in my bunker than I will ever be able to drink in my lifetime. As I look on my shelves, I see several bottles that I will probably never open, since I've got too many other bottles that I really enjoy more.

BTAC Sazeracs

I'll make you a deal - you let me know how many BTAC Saz 18's you got laying around, how much you want for each of 'em, and I'll probably just take them all off your hands...that's my favorite whiskey in the world. Cool? :)

Just PM me, I would love to help you with your "predicament."

Cheers,

B~

BigRich
05-16-2011, 06:49
I was one of the defenders of the 09 OFBB and I still don't think it was as bad as some said it was, but maybe I just don't have a "superior palate". That said, it still wasn't nearly as good as the 07, 08 or even the 2010 edition. Easily the worst OFBB I've had.

Regrets? I've had a few. What I regret most are expensive bottles that didn't deliver. ER 17 and Handy (never had a year I thought was worth the $$$), and Vintage 17, the old non-wheater version. That and the ER 17 were just dull to me.

The last bottle of Handy I bought, I diluted it to 90 proof and had it alongside Baby Saz and I could not tell the difference. The price was such then that it was still a bargain. By the time I finished it the price had gone up and it was no longer worth it to me. Ironically, it's currently easier to find than the baby Saz, at least around here.

I'll second on the Handy. I really don't regret anything I've bought for the juice in the bottle but I don't think the Handy's were/are worth the money.

Parkersback
05-16-2011, 08:27
[quote=TomH;245889]As I've told many people, I know I've got more stuff in my bunker than I will ever be able to drink in my lifetime. As I look on my shelves, I see several bottles that I will probably never open, since I've got too many other bottles that I really enjoy more.

BTAC Sazeracs

I'll make you a deal - you let me know how many BTAC Saz 18's you got laying around, how much you want for each of 'em, and I'll probably just take them all off your hands...that's my favorite whiskey in the world. Cool? :)

Just PM me, I would love to help you with your "predicament."

Cheers,

B~

Any Mods or others, please jump in if I'm out of line here...

Humchan2K, as you may or may not know, it's illegal to sell or trade booze without a license. Publicly soliciting that kind of thing could put this board, or our gracious host, Mr. Butler, at risk.

Of course, I haven't any idea what people may say or arrange when they privately PM or email each other. It's none of my business, and I like it that way.

RyanL
05-16-2011, 08:53
I don't know that I really regret any bourbon that I purchased. Maybe Saz18 and ER17. Now that I have had more ryes I am starting to come around to the Saz a bit so by the time I slowly finish the bottle maybe I will end up looking for another, who knows. ER17 isn't bad and I would pick some more up if it were $40 but for $70 I'll be passing from now on.

I don't buy too much scotch but I bought a bottle of Balvenie 21yr Portwood. I really liked the Balvenie 12 and like port wines so figured why not. I can't stand the stuff. It's actually just awful to me. It's the single reason I passed on Angel's Envy which might be great but I probably won't buy a bottle til I try it first and know for sure I like it.

BourbonKiller
05-16-2011, 12:10
Wild Turkey American Spirit ($88)
Vintage 17 ($56)

All Bourbons I would pass on for $20...

TomH
05-16-2011, 14:17
[QUOTE=Parkersback;246197][QUOTE=humchan2k;246161]

Any Mods or others, please jump in if I'm out of line here...

Humchan2K, as you may or may not know, it's illegal to sell or trade booze without a license. Publicly soliciting that kind of thing could put this board, or our gracious host, Mr. Butler, at risk.

Of course, I haven't any idea what people may say or arrange when they privately PM or email each other. It's none of my business, and I like it that way.[/QUOTE

I would also want to make it very clear, I was responding to the post about what I regretted buying, not making a "bunker is for sale" advertisement. If and when I find my "bunker buyers remorse" getting to the point of needing a resolution, appropriate measures will be taken to find a new home for the misfits that do not include violating the terms and conditions of straightbourbon.com

Tom

humchan2k
05-17-2011, 00:12
To all of y'all, yeah, ok, so I had no clue that I was breaking any rules by making a joke....didn't realize I was screwing everyone's day up.

I'll go over here and hide in the corner now...and I'll be sure to stay off your lawn too, for good measure.

MarkEdwards
05-17-2011, 04:28
To all of y'all, yeah, ok, so I had no clue that I was breaking any rules by making a joke....didn't realize I was screwing everyone's day up.

I'll go over here and hide in the corner now...and I'll be sure to stay off your lawn too, for good measure.

Bad boy! Now you will NOT be raptured this weekend, and will be left behind with all the bourbon. (Assuming bourbon drinkers are raptured, that is. :cool:)

CorvallisCracker
05-17-2011, 10:52
After buying/trying a bottle of AH Hirsch 16 BW in 1995, I bought three more bottles, plus one 20yo. If I could do it over, I'd have bought more of the 16s and not bought the 20.

As for others, well, the point's been made that if it's something you wanted to try, and there was not other way to do it, then regret per se is not really how I feel about it.

There are certainly ones which did not live up to expectations, or were not worth the price.

WTAS has been mentioned. I found it to be no better than WTRB. I paid $92 for it.

There are also a number I bought to use in VBTs and/or to review, and did not have high expectations. I wasn't disappointed (or perhaps I should say I was disappointed, but expected to be).

I do regret that Scott (Ox) did not send his WT Rye to me.

Parkersback
05-17-2011, 11:04

1. Who bit your head off? I reminded you of the rules you signed off on in order to post here.

2. My day was not screwed up.

3. A corner is a terrible place to hide.

4. I wish I had a lawn. If I had one, I'd invite you on to it for a pour of whatever struck your fancy from my bunker.

humchan2k
05-17-2011, 14:39
1. Who bit your head off? I reminded you of the rules you signed off on in order to post here. - I'm sensitive?

2. My day was not screwed up. - GOOD!

3. A corner is a terrible place to hide. - Depends on how dark it is! :)

4. I wish I had a lawn. If I had one, I'd invite you on to it for a pour of whatever struck your fancy from my bunker.

Well, shucks, that's right neighborly of you!

I really wish there was a bourbon drinkers' meet up group here in LA, instead all we have is some nerdy LA Whisky Society thingy that Sku and other scotch lovers are all a part of...

If I could try, just once before I die, some AH Hirsch red wax, I think I could go gently into that good night.....I'd also like to knock out the owner of Liberty in Seattle, Andrew, with a hammer and sneak back into the kitchen and take the rest of the incredible bottle of 1940's SW Old Fitz he let me have a dram from......and then of course I'd revive him and buy him something nice. :)

jfw
05-17-2011, 17:51
Knob Creek and a Dusty Old Charter 7.

They have both been open forever and always seem to have the same amount in them. I think that means I don't like them :).

politely
05-18-2011, 22:00
Before learning about bourbon, I bought into the marketing and bought MM and KC, thinking they were top shelf. In fact, that's where they remain - on my shelf, for the wife to use in cooking. Good thing I learned on SB that bourbon could be used to replace vanilla. Every once in a (long) while, I'll check back, usually to compare it to something new I've opened up, but that's about it. Cooking & control yard stick.

Now that I think about it, I could have almost bought two bottles of Weller 12 for the price I paid for either bottle of MM or KC. That's regret.

StraightNoChaser
05-23-2011, 10:04
Wild Turkey American Spirit ($88)
Vintage 17 ($56)

All Bourbons I would pass on for $20...
I've heard good things about the WTAS... what didn't you like about it?

Chris24
05-23-2011, 18:33
Red Stag, 50ml. Still can't get the taste out of my mouth.

I actually like the WT American Spirit, maybe not worth the price but still tasted good to me.

I also dislike Noah's Mill. I just get serious corn overload trying to sip it.

Bourbon Boiler
07-10-2011, 20:22
Fortunately, I did most of my initially sampling with 50 mL bottles, so a lot of the bottom end that get high reviews cost me only a couple of bucks if I didn't like them. Definitely the way to go when available.

Photodudems
07-28-2011, 17:49
That Ten High that I had a thread about a few weeks back? Well, once the honeymoon wore off and I got another bottle of EW BIB, I regret buying the Ten High. Nasty, medicinal, chemical tasting stuff.

ebo
07-28-2011, 19:05
JB Devil's Cut. I don't know what I was expecting, but it sure wasn't what I got :grin: .

Don't get me wrong... it isn't horrible, it just isn't anything special... at all. I'll go on record as "semi regretting' buying it :lol: .

jcg9779
07-28-2011, 20:17
I also dislike Noah's Mill. I just get serious corn overload trying to sip it.

I will not say that I regret buying Noah's Mill quite yet, but I've had some trouble getting into it. It's been sitting open for a while now...maybe it will taste better with time.

BMartin42
07-29-2011, 08:40
Jefferson's PS18. Potting soil and mildew for $80. Ouch. I'd have enjoyed Old Crow more!!!

clingman71
07-29-2011, 09:51
Jefferson's PS18. Potting soil and mildew for $80. Ouch. I'd have enjoyed Old Crow more!!!

I have a JRPS17, I'm crossing my fingers that I don't regret the $$$ spent on it once opened.

barturtle
07-29-2011, 10:09
All of it. Who wants to take it off my hands?

birdman1099
07-29-2011, 11:00
All of it. Who wants to take it off my hands?

not I... I dont want any of your "crap" whiskey !!!! :grin:

Enoch
07-29-2011, 16:33
Bought a bottle of Aristocrat KSBW. $7.35 a liter should be a clue. But the girl was selling me 375s of AAA 10 star from the 80s for $.99 so I agreed to get it. DOn't regret the AAA though.

BMartin42
07-29-2011, 16:56
I have a JRPS17, I'm crossing my fingers that I don't regret the $$$ spent on it once opened.

The 17 I had was fantastic. Both bottles I've tasted from of the 18 had a soil taste that was horrible. One too many years in wood I guess.

BourbonKiller
07-29-2011, 17:39
I've heard good things about the WTAS... what didn't you like about it?
It is no better than Turkey 101 or Rarebreed IMO, I might even prefer the 101 to this bottle of WTAS I have. My guess is that I got a dud and there has probably been some better bottles of this juice out there. Mine is an $18 whiskey in fancy packaging with a hefty price tag.

Makes me feel like the Wild Turkey company is pissing on my boots and telling me its raining.

In a blind taste test this juice would come in last to pretty much anything I can find on everyones shelf.

hectic1
07-29-2011, 18:33
It is no better than Turkey 101 or Rarebreed IMO, I might even prefer the 101 to this bottle of WTAS I have. My guess is that I got a dud and there has probably been some better bottles of this juice out there. Mine is an $18 whiskey in fancy packaging with a hefty price tag.

Makes me feel like the Wild Turkey company is pissing on my boots and telling me its raining.

In a blind taste test this juice would come in last to pretty much anything I can find on everyones shelf. One man's trash is anothers treasure...I really enjoy my bottle of WTAS and have a couple more in the bunker! ;)

Halifax
07-29-2011, 19:29
^ Me too. I am a fan. Many bunkered.

sgtgto
07-29-2011, 19:56
PHC Golden, Hancock, Sam Houston, Vintage 17... but PHC Golden tops them all.

nivto
07-29-2011, 20:45
PHC Golden

did you not enjoy the bourbon, or was it that the bourbon just didn't live up to the price you paid... just curious, i haven't tried it myself, can't bring myself to spend the money on a single bottle

politely
07-30-2011, 01:24
I am also curious and would appreciate your thoughts. I really like the PHC50.

p_elliott
07-30-2011, 04:30
I am also curious and would appreciate your thoughts. I really like the PHC50.

I like the the PHC Golden Anniversary at first I wasn't so sold on it but it grew on me.

It's your money how do you feel about it? That's what is important don't base your toughts of whiskies on other peoples opinions base it it on what you like.

sgtgto
07-30-2011, 08:39
did you not enjoy the bourbon, or was it that the bourbon just didn't live up to the price you paid... just curious, i haven't tried it myself, can't bring myself to spend the money on a single bottle

Mostly the cost. I don't think it is a 130$ bottle. I was really really disappointed in it at first, but over a year it got much better. Still would not buy it again, not even at the 80$ price point.

Dramiel McHinson
07-30-2011, 08:54
I had a real scare with a bottle of Rebel Yell. I went through a couple of bottles in the 70's and bought this bottle out of nostalgia for the good ole days. It just ruined my view of nostalgia. I left it in a dark cabinet for a couple of years and decided to give it one more try before I poured it in the bulk BBQ sauce jug. It actually had smoothed out and developed a nice character. It never made my top 1000 list but it went down smooth and didn't aggravate my gag reflex. Funny how a bottle will try harder to please after you put it in a dark corner fir a while.

politely
07-31-2011, 23:30
It's your money how do you feel about it? That's what is important don't base your toughts of whiskies on other peoples opinions base it it on what you like.

I agree, and the response won't change my view. I just like to see if we're tasting the same things and disagreeing on the conclusion, or whether we're tasting something completely different. For example, the degree of woodiness - two people may actually taste the same level of woodiness, but disagree on whether they like that particular level. But if someone said there was strong orange marmalade and they hate (love) marmalade, so they hated (loved) the taste, then I'd want to go back and check, particularly if I didn't pick out that flavor. Just curiosity.

weller_tex
04-24-2012, 14:43
..Dickel #8. I like the #12, but the #8 has been languishing in the back of the cupboard and is only used for making homemade cough medicine. Even with honey and lemon and just a spoonful of whiskey it is still awful stuff.

dean_martin
04-24-2012, 15:37
I'd have to say a Knob Creek Christmas gift pack w/flask. After buying everyone else's Christmas (including a WT Rare Breed gift pack with a small pitcher for my brother), my budget limited me to two gift packs. The 4RSB w/glasses was a no-brainer. For my second, I chose the KC rather than the RB. Later, I had a pour from another open bottle of KC on my bar and an earthy, musty taste was really prominent. It was so prominent that I pictured a busted up wooden coffin dug up from it's cemetary plot. It was like a scene from a zombie movie. Is that weird? Now, the KC gift pack is no where near my bar but shoved in the back of my closet. I may have to re-gift it next xmas. Oh, and I think the flask is plastic. I picked up a stainless one from Wal-Mart on clearance for .99.

It bugs me because KC was one of my regular pours, but I won't be ready to give it another chance anytime soon.

Clavius
04-24-2012, 16:58
EC12. I like the EC18 year alright but the 12 is just awful IMHO.

yountvillewjs
04-24-2012, 17:02
Jim Beam Rye. Never again.

StraightBoston
04-24-2012, 18:25
..Dickel #8. I like the #12, but the #8 has been languishing in the back of the cupboard and is only used for making homemade cough medicine. Even with honey and lemon and just a spoonful of whiskey it is still awful stuff.

Better stay away from the Cascade Hollow then! (It causes the cough!)

I agree 100% with your assessment.

Tico
04-24-2012, 19:18
Bookers

I might dump it at this point!

c2walker
04-24-2012, 19:20
Bookers

I might dump it at this point!

I regretted ordering Bookers at a bar and it didn't even cost me anything.

Kyjd75
04-25-2012, 19:11
Eagle Rare 10 year sb. I have tried to drink this stuff on 3 separate occasions now. No go. It is just plain nasty (to my taste). Bought this bottle 2 months ago at Liquor Barn in Louisville. Not again!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?keqs4s

emil
05-01-2012, 19:03
Black Maple Hill NAS. Tastes young and hot and has a funky sourness to it. No way this stuff should sell for $40. I've had much better for half the price.