PDA

View Full Version : Whats with the Honey

Drunkonjack
05-15-2011, 19:46
I've noticed that some bourbons have honey inthem now . Seen a bottle of Wild Turkey at the store and tonite I seen a comercial for Jack Daniels with honey in it .

Anyone have any of this stuff and is it any good ?

Ian S.
05-15-2011, 19:50
There is also Evan Williams Honey.

They are all disgusting, IMO.

ebo
05-15-2011, 20:05
There is also Evan Williams Honey.

They are all disgusting, IMO.
Mine too.

Parkersback
05-15-2011, 20:48
A couple times a winter if I am sick, or just feeling my sweet tooth, I like some honey in my whiskey, especially with some hot tea and lemon. But I'll add my own honey, thanks.

mosugoji64
05-15-2011, 21:13
They're good for cooking or mixing, but WAY too sweet for drinking. Too much honey and not enough bourbon.

camduncan
05-15-2011, 21:13
They're definately sweet. :bigeyes: I like them occasionally as an after dinner drink - in the same way I like a port or muscat liquor, and they also taste pretty good over vanilla ice cream :yum: But they are not something I would regularly pour. If I open a bottle, it's going to last a good 12 - 18 months minimum.

G.H.Adams
05-15-2011, 21:18
They sound nasty. I'll pass on this idea.:skep:

Ian S.
05-15-2011, 21:19
They're good for cooking or mixing, but WAY too sweet for drinking. Too much honey and not enough bourbon.

And this goes against my philosophy. Anything worth drinking, is worth drinking straight.

mosugoji64
05-15-2011, 21:26
And this goes against my philosophy. Anything worth drinking, is worth drinking straight.

Give that man a drink! :grin:

Ian S.
05-15-2011, 21:27
Give that man a drink! :grin:

Make it a generous pour of ETL. :grin:

MarkEdwards
05-16-2011, 05:17
I've noticed that some bourbons have honey in them now.

They're making mead with honey in it too. YUCK! :cool:

beerfactory
05-17-2011, 17:06
They're making mead with honey in it too. YUCK! :cool:

wait a minute, mead is actually... oh nevermind! :cool:

StraightNoChaser
05-19-2011, 20:10
I've tried them all and the JD Honey is the only one I would ever return to. It's pretty nice as a shot when it's been in the freezer.

camduncan
05-19-2011, 20:22
I've tried them all and the JD Honey is the only one I would ever return to. It's pretty nice as a shot when it's been in the freezer.

I haven't tried any of them in the freezer yet - a nice idea on a hot day :cool:

cigarnv
05-20-2011, 05:09
Seems like every day another appears on the shelf suggesting that a heck of a lot of folks like whiskey and honey... go figure..

sutton
05-20-2011, 05:58
Whiskey and honey was a traditional way to treat everything from sore throat to a common cold. If anything, it probably helped you get some sleep!

BrianBradford
05-20-2011, 08:35
I actually like the honey infused bourbons. I think they make a hell of a cawktail. I am a sugary kind of genleman. I fill up a glass all the way to the tippy, fill half the glass with choice honey bourbon liquor, and the other half with ginger ale. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......

MarkEdwards
05-20-2011, 11:00
Whiskey and honey was a traditional way to treat everything from sore throat to a common cold. If anything, it probably helped you get some sleep!

Absolutely - a great treatment for teething, whatever your age. :grin:

jcg9779
05-20-2011, 16:04

This is the only time that I pour from my bottle of WT Honey. The honey bourbon is also the only bourbon that I could get my ex-girlfriend to drink, so that meant I always had some around.

Flyfish
07-01-2011, 07:23
Seems like every day another appears on the shelf suggesting that a heck of a lot of folks like whiskey and honey... go figure..

You are not required to DRINK the stuff. Try splashing some over pound cake or bread pudding--especially if you have always made your bread pudding with bourbon sauce.

mrviognier
07-01-2011, 07:57
And how 'bout the Cherries popping all over?* First Red Stag and now Evan Williams. Sure hope that his isn't the start of a trend...flavored Bourbons a la Vodka. :rolleyes:

* Sorry. Never could resist a bad pun. :grin:

tip
07-01-2011, 08:57
I think Wild Turkey's honey/bourbon liqueur has been around longer than I have, though it's been made over in the last couple years as American Honey which brought the proof up. There do appear to be a handful of Johnny-come-lately additions to the honey/bourbon game.

I've got a bottle of the American Honey in the freezer and have tasted the Jack Daniels variety. Both are good for what they are, but I don't think any of them are meant to replace real bourbon.

I visited a friend this past weekend that I've never seen drink so much as a cocktail, much less anything neat or on the rocks. He's a mixer (Canadian + Coke or 7&7) or beer drinker only. He had been given a 50ml sample of Seagram's Stone Cherry at the liquor store and sipped his way through the whole thing neat. When he was finished I made him a Manhattan with bourbon that he also finished.

It may be a slow road, but I think he's making progress. ;)

Photodudems
07-05-2011, 18:10
I almost bought a bottle of the EW honey reserve today. It sounds interesting and I'd like to try it at some point. The bread pudding idea sounds great. Also, EW is running a promo on their cherry and honey varieties. $10 off a 1.75L or 2 750ml / $5 off one 750ml. It might be worth it. The honey could make an interesting sour.

ebo
07-05-2011, 19:12
I almost bought a bottle of the EW honey reserve today. It sounds interesting and I'd like to try it at some point. The bread pudding idea sounds great. Also, EW is running a promo on their cherry and honey varieties. $10 off a 1.75L or 2 750ml / $5 off one 750ml. It might be worth it. The honey could make an interesting sour.
Why do you think they are offering $5.00 off a 750 ml? Could it be that it sucks and they are trying to get rid of it?

I tried Red Stag... just because. It was the most vile stuff I have ever tried to get down my gullet! :grin:

I'll pass on all the honey and cherry offerings, from here on out. :lol:

Ian S.
07-05-2011, 20:20
I always feared the day that they would mess with my bourbon with these damn flavors. Now that it has started, it will only get worse.

G.H.Adams
07-05-2011, 20:49
I've never understood the flavored bourbon thing or flavored vodka. I guess there is a market for them but it's not me. I will never have any in my liquor cabinet.:skep:

sutton
07-06-2011, 12:21
I don't think it's anything more than trying to expand their market. Americans generally have a sweet tooth; get them to try it and some percentage will eventually migrate to straight bourbon. I'd guess it is also a good way to utilize some spirit that didn't come out quite right ... blend in a little sweetener to cover any hard edges...

StraightBoston
07-06-2011, 14:58
I bought the EW Honey when it came out for $5 after rebate and still paid too much -- that scared me off their Cherry (speaking as the only member of SB.com who admits to liking Red Stag!)

I tries a nip of the JD Tennessee Honey at a 4th of July party -- better than the Evan Williams but way too sweet for me. The original WT Wild Honey in the genie bottle is the only one I could really stomach.

camduncan
07-06-2011, 17:08
I bought the EW Honey when it came out for $5 after rebate and still paid too much -- that scared me off their Cherry (speaking as the only member of SB.com who admits to liking Red Stag!)

Nah, there's more of us out there that like it than you might think :bigeyes: :grin: I like Red Stag and the various honey products for what they are, an alternative to drinking bourbon rather than replacing it :skep: So while I prefer bourbon, I will drink these 'blended products' if the mood is right.
Looking at the bigger picture, if they help bring more drinkers into the bourbon world, that can only be a good thing.

Josh
12-16-2011, 07:48
New on the Michigan supplementary liquor list for Jan 1: Red Stag Honey Tea. Also Red Stag Spiced, just in time for the holidays.:rolleyes:

jcg9779
12-16-2011, 09:07
New on the Michigan supplementary liquor list for Jan 1: Red Stag Honey Tea. Also Red Stag Spiced, just in time for the holidays.:rolleyes:

I think you need to jump on the Red Stag train, Josh...it appears to be here for quite some time!

Can we expect some reviews on Sipology? :lol:

White Dog
12-16-2011, 09:43
I think you need to jump on the Red Stag train, Josh...it appears to be here for quite some time!

Can we expect some reviews on Sipology? :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I agree. Josh could mix it with Benchmark and provide tasting notes.

cowdery
12-16-2011, 11:55
Shanken reported earlier this week that Red Stag is now selling at a rate of 250,000 cases a year. JD Honey, WT Honey, EW Honey, EW Cherry, all selling like crazy.

It's like the much smaller Spirit Whiskey boom. People all of a sudden want to drink something called "whiskey," even if they don't like whiskey, and the industry is happy to oblige.

cas
12-16-2011, 12:54
I guess it's sort of the contemporary equivalent of southern comfort.
Craig