PDA

View Full Version : Jack's New Look.

cowdery
05-16-2011, 11:38
Brown-Forman has changed the label for Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Brand because, as the press release says (I'm paraphrasing), "Mr. Jack would have wanted us to."

Some of the changes are interesting. Lem Motlow is gone. So is the population of Lynchburg. The statement "bottled at the distillery" is gone, perhaps because the distillery is a few miles away from the bottling house.

"Est. and Reg. in 1866" is gone, perhaps because the Federal government has no record of any such registration.

Interestingly, though, all of the claims removed from the label are still made in the press release, so they're not backing away from them, just taking them off the label.

Simplification is good and with Jack Daniel's now selling about half of its volume outside the USA, maybe all that extra stuff just raised questions that are hard for their overseas reps to answer, like how can a guy who's been dead for 64 years be your proprietor?

DeanSheen
05-16-2011, 11:59
Looks better.

But I'm not a fan of Jack if that mattes in the voting.

Gillman
05-16-2011, 14:29
I like it.

Gary

kickert
05-16-2011, 15:09
I see it is not longer "Quality" and it is no longer "Old Time"... that's it, I am no longer buying any more Jack Daniels.

OscarV
05-16-2011, 15:15
Nothing like a label refresh to bolster sales.
Are Woodford Reserve and Old Forester next for a label refresh?

wadewood
05-16-2011, 16:01
I can still win bar bets by betting Jack Daniels is not a bourbon and proving by saying show me where on the label you see the word bourbon.....

Parkersback
05-16-2011, 16:04
Now if the label said 90 proof, "Aged for 7 summers", and if it was less than $25, I might reach for it every blue moon.

Ian S.
05-16-2011, 18:21
Nothing like a label refresh to bolster sales.
Are Woodford Reserve and Old Forester next for a label refresh?

Perhaps we'll see a WR facelift when their new bourbon is introduced in 2012.:grin:

flintlock
05-16-2011, 21:09
I see it is not longer "Quality" and it is no longer "Old Time"... that's it, I am no longer buying any more Jack Daniels.

Oh, Ben...don't be sore...what if we cut the proof down to 70 and throw in some cool tribal temporary tattoos for your lower back?? Huh?? :grin:

cowdery
05-16-2011, 22:30
Are you saying Ben needs a tramp stamp?

silverfish
05-17-2011, 05:23
According to just-drinks (http://www.just-drinks.com/news/brown-forman-tweaks-jack-daniels-bottle_id103894.aspx), the bottle is getting a new look as well.

ratcheer
05-17-2011, 05:55
While I don't care for the whiskey, anyway, I prefer the old label. I like "old fashioned", and in the old days labels were cluttered with all sorts of proclamations and blurbs. Looks like it is just I, though.

Tim

kickert
05-17-2011, 07:05
Are you saying Ben needs a tramp stamp?

You mean ANOTHER tramp stamp.

cowdery
05-17-2011, 09:46
You mean ANOTHER tramp stamp.

Multiple tramp stamps are definitely a bad idea.

cowdery
05-17-2011, 09:47
According to just-drinks (http://www.just-drinks.com/news/brown-forman-tweaks-jack-daniels-bottle_id103894.aspx), the bottle is getting a new look as well.

I was so obsessed with the label changes I didn't even notice the new bottle.

The look they're going for seems to be modern old-fashioned, if that's possible.

MarkEdwards
05-17-2011, 10:42
I was so obsessed with the label changes I didn't even notice the new bottle.

The look they're going for seems to be modern old-fashioned, if that's possible.

Retro-fashioned? Post-modern?

Gillman
05-17-2011, 10:53
Hmm, not sure I like it. The rounded shoulder seemed more graceful.

Gary

smokinjoe
05-17-2011, 11:20
Yeah, the shoulders look sorta like a pagoda. The overall new look, though, reminds me of the new Beam Black package.

moose
05-17-2011, 19:31
Sure cleaned things up, still keeping all the distinctions. Wont have me reaching for it any more often than little to never, but nice to see that the marketing crew didn't totally screw the pooch.

ThomasH
05-19-2011, 23:32
I saw the new bottle design at the store today. I like the bottle but they should have left the label alone!

Thomas

cigarnv
05-20-2011, 05:19
I doubt few people actually read many of the words on any label other than the proof statement. JD has a "shelf" look that can be picked out from a distance where one can't even read the words..... they have the image.. the words (other than the legal requirements) are just window dressing.....

ThomasH
05-20-2011, 07:32
I think the new label cheapens the look of the package. It is like they cheapened the whiskey when it dropped to 80 proof and now they bare minimum the label, all while steadily raising the price!

Thomas

ebo
05-22-2011, 13:48
I think the new label cheapens the look of the package. It is like they cheapened the whiskey when it dropped to 80 proof and now they bare minimum the label, all while steadily raising the price!

Thomas
Yep. JD wasn't half bad back in the day... now, I don't care for it at all. The SB expression not bad at all, though.

marna
05-22-2011, 14:41

Thomas

And pairing that with removing "quality" from the label seems like an acknowledgement. Why would they be so honest? I have never met a marketing director that would remove something like "quality" without replacing it with a bigger claim, like "now even better":rolleyes:

Tucker
05-23-2011, 06:32
And pairing that with removing "quality" from the label seems like an acknowledgement. Why would they be so honest? I have never met a marketing director that would remove something like "quality" without replacing it with a bigger claim, like "now even better":rolleyes:

"Quality & Craftsmanship Since 1866" is on the right, vertical.

IMO, the changes to the bottle are more drastic than the changes to the label.

Not that any of this matters to me, I don't think I've bought a bottle of JD in the 30+ years I've been drinking whiskey.

Gillman
05-23-2011, 07:07
Any news on whether the green label version will be changed in a similar way?

I tasted some recently and it seemed less mature than the black label, with more corn character. But it was not bad and would make a great mint julep or whiskey sour.

Gary

Ian S.
05-23-2011, 14:08
Any news on whether the green label version will be changed in a similar way?

I tasted some recently and it seemed less mature than the black label, with more corn character. But it was not bad and would make a great mint julep or whiskey sour.

Gary

The Green Label will get the same bottle change once the current bottle is exhausted....same goes for the Tennessee Honey.

The green label is a less mature whiskey. they pick the slower aging barrels from the bottom floors and center of the warehouses to use for the GL.

Gillman
05-23-2011, 15:52
I came up with an excellent vatting: 1 part each Jack Green, Early Times Bourbon and Jeremiah Weed Blended Bourbon.

Gary

cowdery
05-25-2011, 10:29
I came up with an excellent vatting: 1 part each Jack Green, Early Times Bourbon and Jeremiah Weed Blended Bourbon.

Gary

Excellent for what?

Gillman
05-25-2011, 10:39
I don't understand the question.

Gary

StraightNoChaser
05-26-2011, 10:52
I really like the new label. It's fresh and simple. It's still just as eye catching and iconic as the previous label. Now the bottle... I'm not so sure about that. I like the old bottle with the rounded edges.

ILLfarmboy
05-26-2011, 12:53
Cluttered or not, I like the old label better. I like the rounded shoulders of the old bottle better, too.

cigarnv
05-26-2011, 13:52

Gary

Looks like a classic 1+1+1=5 sitation. How do you even begin to dream these combinations up Gary?

kickert
05-26-2011, 14:15
Cluttered or not, I like the old label better. I like the rounded shoulders of the old bottle better, too.

I think I like the new label, but not the new bottle.

craigthom
05-26-2011, 14:21
The green label is a less mature whiskey. they pick the slower aging barrels from the bottom floors and center of the warehouses to use for the GL.

Do we have a source for the warehouse location claim other than tour guides? I'm not saying tour guides spread misinformation, but, well, I guess I am.

Gillman
05-26-2011, 14:50
Reid, thanks: the sum truly is more than its parts. Here's my logic. I'm sitting in a hotel room in St. Augustine. I've got a half-pint of JD Green Label, some Early Times bourbon, and the Jeremiah Weed Blended Bourbon. The JD is a little corn/woody; the Early Times ditto but with more traditional bourbon character; and the Weed has that tea flavor overlay on a fairly mild bourbon/GNS base. So I figure the slight tea sweetness will meld the straight whiskeys in all of these, plus the straights just taste better when their elemental attributes are combined.

It so happens that's all I had in the room, but still I used a certain logic or such as it is.

The better half comes back in the evening and I serve it to her. "This is really good, what is it"? Earlier, she had the JD Green and Early Times on their own: no complaints, but no comments either. So I figured it was excellent, on this basis and my own tasting of course.

Gary

callmeox
05-26-2011, 16:44
Do we have a source for the warehouse location claim other than tour guides? I'm not saying tour guides spread misinformation, but, well, I guess I am.

Google is your friend.

http://www.jackdaniels.com/faq.aspx

cowdery
05-27-2011, 09:17
I don't understand the question.

Gary

Surely you don't drink it.

cowdery
05-27-2011, 09:19

Jimmy Bedford, late JD master distiller, told me the same thing.

Ian S.
05-27-2011, 17:53
Jimmy Bedford, late JD master distiller, told me the same thing.

That's where my info came from...the man himself.

cowdery
05-27-2011, 21:49
That's where my info came from...the man himself.

That should be good enough for 'em.