silverfish
05-17-2011, 08:13
While replying to a post about Japanese version of Blanton's, I
came across an image of the Blanton's horses & corresponding
letters. Thought if there were any Blanton's collectors here, it
might be of some use:

MarkEdwards
05-17-2011, 09:47
While replying to a post about Japanese version of Blanton's, I came across an image of the Blanton's horses & corresponding
might be of some use:

Especially if your name is Anton, and you are on SB. Of course, that leaves the 'L'. :rolleyes:

smokinjoe
05-17-2011, 09:59
In further evidence of my sickness with Whiskirexia Nervosa, I was recently extremely proud to finish my B.L.A.N.T.O.N.S. stopper collection. So, I got that goin' for me. Drilled holes in a piece of oak, mounted them in perfect sequence. Sanded it all nice a purdy. All I have to do is stain and shellac the board................Will someone...please...stop me....This is a call for help...:D

DeanSheen
05-17-2011, 11:05
In further evidence of my sickness with Whiskirexia Nervosa, I was recently extremely proud to finish my B.L.A.N.T.O.N.S. stopper collection. So, I got that goin' for me. Drilled holes in a piece of oak, mounted them in perfect sequence. Sanded it all nice a purdy. All I have to do is stain and shellac the board................Will someone...please...stop me....This is a call for help...:D

You know it's nice that you have one set. But what if you lose it? What if someone walks away with it?

I really think you need a backup set. That way you can stash one in a secure place. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing, especially in matters with this level of import. I mean you just created a family heirloom and it's your duty to make sure future generations can enjoy your fine craftsmanship.

gblick
05-17-2011, 13:41
Ahhh, but do you have one without any letters?
I found a dusty bottle from the very first year (I think 1984), and it doesn't have a letter.

TomH
05-17-2011, 14:10
As long as you're just like this with the bourbon, you're fine. At KBF, I met a lady was very intent on getting the full set of letters on the BBQ sauce bottles.

Tom

StraightNoChaser
05-17-2011, 15:16
At the BT distillery they have barrel staves with all the horses affixed to them... for $45 :skep:

DeanSheen
05-17-2011, 16:13
At the BT distillery they have barrel staves with all the horses affixed to them... for $45 :skep:

Well that's cheaper than buying 8 bottles of Blantons.

You know, I did not notice them when I was there. Maybe I'll buy one next time I'm there.

smokinjoe
05-17-2011, 16:42
You know it's nice that you have one set. But what if you lose it? What if someone walks away with it?

I really think you need a backup set. That way you can stash one in a secure place. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing, especially in matters with this level of import. I mean you just created a family heirloom and it's your duty to make sure future generations can enjoy your fine craftsmanship.

I really, really, like this idea. Seeing that I have a left over "L", I'm 1/8th the way there!! Wait...Better yet....How 'bout a full horsetrack!?!?! 9...no...10!!! gates. With full B.L.A.N.T.O.N.S. pieces in each one! That's what???....80, or so, stoppers???...No Sweat!! I...I...can carve a miniature Keeneland in the grass in my front yard...and, and... put them out for all to see...Light it up at night...YES!!!! I know the neighborhood Architectural Committee Chairman....He'll be OK with it, I think...

Build it, and they will come.

Hold on!!!! I just called home from Charlotte, NC, and my wife tells me I have a "B" too!!!! She asked me why I wanted to know....I was going to tell her, but thought I'd just surprise her when I'm finished... :D

pepcycle
05-17-2011, 17:23
The Patty has a picture of my Blanton's stoppers on an oak stave in her folder marked

"Evidence for the divorce lawyer" file.

There's also a picture of me sneaking up on a cardboard cutout of Jimmy Russell with just a pair of boxer shorts and mohawk haircut.

moose
05-17-2011, 18:36
While replying to a post about Japanese version of Blanton's, I
came across an image of the Blanton's horses & corresponding
might be of some use:

Pretty cool picture breaking it all down, this was something I was totally unaware of, thanks.

Sure, I can help, I'll just inherit that little collection of yours, putt it on some cherry wood, then take pictures and show you later. :lol:
Seriously, congrats.

Bourbon Boiler
05-17-2011, 18:59

I see $63 for the empty stave, and $85 for the completed version. I have 5/8, but I figure I can drill and stain well enough to avoid $63.

MarkEdwards
05-17-2011, 19:19
There's also a picture of me sneaking up on a cardboard cutout of Jimmy Russell with just a pair of boxer shorts and mohawk haircut.

What was Jimmy Russell doing in your boxer shorts, and sporting a mohawk?

cowdery
05-18-2011, 13:30
You know, although we can't sell or trade whiskey here, I'm sure the management would not object to people trading their Blanton's stoppers. It would be pretty straightforward. Just list what you have extras of and what you need.

StraightNoChaser
05-18-2011, 13:39
I see $63 for the empty stave, and $85 for the completed version. I have 5/8, but I figure I can drill and stain well enough to avoid $63.Bourbon was being consumed at the time. My figures are likely off :grin:

Bourbon Boiler
05-18-2011, 16:47
Bourbon was being consumed at the time. My figures are likely off :grin:

Funny how bourbon always makes things sound cheaper, never the other direction. :lol:

Ian S.
05-18-2011, 16:51
Funny how bourbon always makes things sound cheaper, never the other direction. :lol:

Especially bar tabs...:grin:

StraightNoChaser
05-18-2011, 22:40
Especially bar tabs...:grin:
This is no joke!!!! :slappin:

Bourbon Boiler
05-22-2011, 17:08
You know, although we can't sell or trade whiskey here, I'm sure the management would not object to people trading their Blanton's stoppers. It would be pretty straightforward. Just list what you have extras of and what you need.

I have an extra "S". I need the second "N" and the "L".

Enoch
05-23-2011, 15:06
Prior to today I only had a T and O but just bought the rest except the first N on ebay for $2 each which included shipping. I also bought an extra T and O so if anyone has a first N and wants to trade for a T or O let me know.

Josh
05-23-2011, 15:13
It must be magic being married to you Ed!:lol:

MarkEdwards
05-23-2011, 16:13
I have several X's and a few J's I got from some guy in Nigeria. :cool:

birdman1099
05-23-2011, 17:46
I have an extra "S". I need the second "N" and the "L".

oohhhh.. I think I can help you out... I really need an S

Bourbon Boiler
05-23-2011, 17:49
oohhhh.. I think I can help you out... I really need an S

Which of my needs do you have?

birdman1099
05-23-2011, 18:01
both.........................:grin:

boss302
05-28-2011, 00:57
After about 5 years, I finally, FINALLY got the second "Letter 'N'", the last piece in my collection.

I will savor this last bottle of Blanton's, as it will likely be the last bottle I buy for a long time-- not because I dislike Blanton's (far from it-- it is one of my favorite bourbons), but because I have limited funds, which I plan on using to explore the vast field of bourbon offerings out there. I definitely need to try more Heaven Hill products, for example, as well as more Buffalo Trace stuff that I need to try...

fishnbowljoe
05-29-2011, 12:53
I have an O and an S if anyone needs them. Cheers! Joe

Bourbon Boiler
06-12-2011, 07:00
Note: At the BT gift shop, they also offer a stave without any holes drilled. It isn't a stave that was associated with a barrell that became Blanton's if you're that particular. The stave without the holes I tihnk was $15. I can operate a drill for a $50 savings. Now, where can I hang a stave with Blanton's horses where my friends can enjoy it but my wife won't see it ...?

birdman1099
06-12-2011, 16:35
I have an O and an S if anyone needs them. Cheers! Joe

I need an S, Joe.....:grin:

p_elliott
06-13-2011, 07:28
I have an idea how about we all bring all our extra Blanton's stoppers to the gazebo in September and put them in a bowl on the table. People can pick through them and pick out the ones they need.

Enoch
06-16-2011, 06:19
I have extra N2 L O and T. Need the first N. If anyone wants to trade PM me.

smokinjoe
06-16-2011, 08:52
I have an idea how about we all bring all our extra Blanton's stoppers to the gazebo in September and put them in a bowl on the table. People can pick through them and pick out the ones they need.

But, that's cheating!! :D Come on, you gotta pony up and drink your 8 bottles, and get your collection the hard way. ;)

Josh
06-16-2011, 13:56
I have an extra G and an X if anybody needs those.

mrviognier
06-16-2011, 13:59
I have an extra G and an X if anybody needs those.

No doubt the Dan Quayle-inspired "Olde English" spelling of the name. :lol:

birdman1099
06-16-2011, 15:34
I need an S, Joe.....:grin:

I guess Joe is ignoring me....:skep:

Josh
06-16-2011, 17:15
No doubt the Dan Quayle-inspired "Olde English" spelling of the name. :lol:

That reminds me, I also have a yogh and a thorn.;)

bgageus
06-18-2011, 11:45
I guess Joe is ignoring me....:skep:
I have an extra S and N2. The only other one i have is an L.
PM Me with your address and Ill send you the S.

Tony
06-23-2011, 15:08
I ended up finding out about this last summer and had to find all of the ponies and get the stave from BT. It was a fun summer.

tony

Bourbon Boiler
06-24-2011, 18:47
BTW, if anyone is boring their own holes in a stave, the correct bit size is 7/8". I of course only had 3/4" and 1" in my garage, so it took a trip to the hardware store last night.

Bourbon Boiler
10-30-2011, 18:24
When I finish my current bottle, I will have the collection. It really was more about the journey than the destination.

smokinjoe
10-30-2011, 19:46
When I finish my current bottle, I will have the collection. It really was more about the journey than the destination.

That's the spirit. So true.
:toast:

jburlowski
11-02-2011, 15:32
We are a curious lot, aren't we.

Bourbon Boiler
11-02-2011, 15:47
We are a curious lot, aren't we.

Amen. Cheers!:thankyousign:

Bourbon Boiler
02-19-2012, 17:39

Bottle & stave are now complete. I feel like Alexander the Great, crying with nothing left to achieve.

mosugoji64
02-19-2012, 18:13
Bottle & stave are now complete. I feel like Alexander the Great, crying with nothing left to achieve.

So what have you guys thought about the differences from barrel to barrel along the course of your journey?

bad_scientist
02-19-2012, 18:13

Africans, Thracians, Parthians... The sight of you on your Blanton's horse would be godlike to many tribes.

Bourbon Boiler
02-19-2012, 18:40
So what have you guys thought about the differences from barrel to barrel along the course of your journey?

I caught one bottle where a citrus flavor was a bit overpowering. I believe it was from 2010, and I really didn't care for it. It did make a nice Manhattan. I had another the was slightly earlier that was a little bland, but not bad. Other than those two, I think it is pretty consistant as single barrel products go. Just my $.02.

That said, I never paid much attention to barrel number or year, so it's possible I drank a handful of bottles that either came from an identical barrel or similar timeframes.

Bourbon Boiler
02-19-2012, 18:44
Africans, Thracians, Parthians... The sight of you on your Blanton's horse would be godlike to many tribes.

I'm not sure the sight of a balding, overwieght man stuggling mightily to stay balanced on a moving horse is considered as a diety in very many civilizations, but I appreciate the thought! :crazy:

WsmataU
02-19-2012, 18:45

No, no. Now you need another with the horses from Blanton's Gold (instead of the bronze). Think of it as an entirely new challenge.:lol:

Bourbon Boiler
02-19-2012, 18:58
No, no. Now you need another with the horses from Blanton's Gold (instead of the bronze). Think of it as an entirely new challenge.:lol:

That would be a considerable challenge. I've never even tasted the export versions, let alone collected the stoppers.

BFerguson
02-19-2012, 19:41
Had one recently that was full of honey and orange flavors. While they did over power any other flavors, it was really a wonderful bottle. Looking for another like it to replay those memories for another future day.

B

I caught one bottle where a citrus flavor was a bit overpowering. I believe it was from 2010, and I really didn't care for it. It did make a nice Manhattan. I had another the was slightly earlier that was a little bland, but not bad. Other than those two, I think it is pretty consistant as single barrel products go. Just my $.02.

That said, I never paid much attention to barrel number or year, so it's possible I drank a handful of bottles that either came from an identical barrel or similar timeframes.