PDA

View Full Version : Maker's Mark a disappointment.

Shunryu
05-21-2011, 18:28
I've been drinking and very much enjoying Wild Turkey 101 for a while. After hearing all of these wonderful comments from co-workers and others about Maker's Mark I bought a bottle of it a while back and have been saving it for my birthday. Well, today is my birthday so I opened it. I've tasted other bourbons and whiskeys that cost half as much that are at least as interesting and enjoyable.

MM does not have much nose appeal and the alcohol overwhelms what little flavor is there. It's rather, well, wimpy.

WT 101 is very appealing to the nose and even with the higher proof the alcohol is subordinate to the creamy, rich flavor. WT 101, for me, is a much more robust bourbon.

I have seen some posts here about MM being overrated and over priced so I'm wondering, is it just me or is MM not what it's cracked up to be?

Thanks.

ACDetroit
05-21-2011, 18:58
Sounds to me, you're a WT 101 fan and that in itself would tell me you might not like MM. MM being a wheater and WT being a high rye makes them totally different animals. Let the MM sit on the bar for a while and try it again, it may take a bit for you to open up to the wheated recipe bourbons.

Good luck and as always enjoy!

Neat
05-21-2011, 19:05
i had the same exact reaction to MM the first time i tried it - and i like wheaters. never tried it again as there are too many whiskies out there that i know i like. i ended up finishing the MM by mixing it with my coffee.

Bourbon Boiler
05-21-2011, 19:34
AC Detroit nailed it. MM to me is good in a mint julip, but just too boring by itself. Makers 46 is noticably better, but not worth the price to me. When people that drink alcohol but not whiskey ask me for a bourbon recommendation, I usually start them with Makers. If a 101 fan asked me, I'd tell them to stay away.

RyanL
05-22-2011, 00:02
I've never actually had WT101 but if you would like to try another rye based bourbon I would suggest Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 or 2001. The 2001 is the newest but you can still find 2000 around some places too but either of those should be pretty easy to find. It comes in at around $25.

If you want to give a wheater another shot I would suggest Old Weller Antique. I have a bottle of the 7 year and like it a lot(their new bottle has no age statement on it but many people think it is better than the 7yr age statement bottles, either would be fine if you find it). It is going to be fairly sweet, with lots of caramel and vanilla flavors that you won't get from a rye but it will give you a good idea if you actually like wheaters or not unlike MM which is just too bland to be any kind of real representation of a good wheated bourbon. You should be able to find a bottle in the $22-25 range on that as well.

From there you can decide what you like the most and start branching out.

mosugoji64
05-22-2011, 00:07
Agreed. While I can enjoy a pour of MM, it's really an overpriced starter bourbon. 46 is good, but too expensive. There are better wheaters out there for the money. Give OWA a try.

craigthom
05-22-2011, 05:07
I have seen some posts here about MM being overrated and over priced so I'm wondering, is it just me or is MM not what it's cracked up to be?

I think Maker's Mark is exactly what it's cracked up to be: a very smooth, very unobjectionable bourbon. On the tour they make a point of the fact that it's got no bite or bitterness or any other flavor anyone could object to ("flaws" that some of us might refer to as "character"). And that's exactly what they make: a bourbon that even people who don't like bourbon can drink.

jcg9779
05-22-2011, 05:50
I think Maker's Mark is exactly what it's cracked up to be: a very smooth, very unobjectionable bourbon. On the tour they make a point of the fact that it's got no bite or bitterness or any other flavor anyone could object to ("flaws" that some of us might refer to as "character"). And that's exactly what they make: a bourbon that even people who don't like bourbon can drink.

I couldn't have said it better. It seems that a lot of people want Maker's to be more than it is. It is easy to drink, but lacks some of the depth of flavor (or character) of other bourbons, as craigthom points out. I do think that it is a good introductory bourbon - Maker's and Woodford are what first got me interested in bourbon. I'll always have a bottle of each on my bar, even if I don't drink them as much as I once did.

Stu
05-22-2011, 08:24
With the help of my friend, Dale, I learned to like MM, however I agree that the M46 is a superior product...lets not debate price. I agree that Tony hit the nail on the head when he talked about WT101 being high rye. Since you like high ryes, may I suggest Four Roses? Some say that their Yellow label is overpriced, but it has far more depth and character than MM. Very few, if any, would argue the value of their Smalll Batch or Single barrel.

gburger
05-22-2011, 09:02
I was at a wedding last night. The only whiskey they had was Maker's.
I had a few of them neat. Every time I ordered one they wanted to put a hand full of ice in the glass first.
Anyways, Maker's to me is a very easy sipping bourbon. You can drink it without thinking about any after burn or intense flavors.
It is not the best or most flavorful I have had, but I have tasted others that I would never try again.
I enjoy a glass of this at home when I want to unwind and have a little snort without feeling the need to experience the many flavors of some of my other pours. Does that make any sense? Oh well Maker's is a good bourbon, I also like 46 better, it does has some flavors to find.

MarkEdwards
05-22-2011, 12:54
One of the first bourbons I tried was MM, and even then, I was not very impressed. It DID improve when I tried it from a Glencairn glass instead of a regular glass.

Even so, I would consider it not bad, but not great.

2highcal
05-22-2011, 17:35
I agree with the consensus here, very inoffensive, it is just very far down the list of whiskies I would order if I were out and it does not find its way into my regular rotation

DeanSheen
05-22-2011, 17:56
This is where I have learned to pull out the "if you can't say anything nice" card.

So instead of no nice things I'll say buy a bottle of Weller SR and see if you like that. Then you can put the difference between MM & SR you saved towards another bottle of 101.

Josh
05-22-2011, 18:04
I'll second a rec above and suggest you try Old Weller Antique 107 proof. It's high proof like WT but it's a wheater like MM. If you don't like that, then you just don't like wheaters at this point in your life. Which is OK.

Also, if you want to try another high-rye, buy a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel. Except for special releases, it's the best bourbon on the market, IMNSHO.
:cool:

Jono
05-22-2011, 19:06
There are very few bourbons or whiskies I dislike. Like many other things, appreciation for differences takes some time. On one evening a spicy rye may call out and on another occasion a wheated or a foreign whisky. Learn to enjoy all styles. I put MM in the solid middle range for my personal tasting lists...which is not bad at all...it is a nice, smooth pour. Price is a different matter.

HP12
05-22-2011, 19:48
There are very few bourbons or whiskies I dislike. Like many other things, appreciation for differences takes some time. On one evening a spicy rye may call out and on another occasion a wheated or a foreign whisky. Learn to enjoy all styles. I put MM in the solid middle range for my personal tasting lists...which is not bad at all...it is a nice, smooth pour. Price is a different matter.

Spoken like a true spirit sommelier. My sentiments exactly! The whisk(e)y world is like beer world...many different expressions from many different distilleries/breweries and many different flavor profiles.

It's good to have a variety to choose from depending on the mood, season, company, occasion, etc.

gburger
06-03-2011, 15:49
Had some last night, ended up mixing it. Not too bad.

camduncan
06-03-2011, 16:00
I've never understood the negativity this product receives..... For years it's been my go-to bourbon when nothing else appeals... I find it to be exactly what I expect it to be each and every time - easy drinking, light and smooth with little burn on the finish. It mixes well if the mood suits, works well neat or on the rocks and makes a great mint julep :grin: Many watering holes here in Australia still offer the standard fare of Jim Beam White, Jack Daniels or Southern Comfort.... so if Makers Mark happens to be on the (top) shelf, it's what I go for every time.

birdman1099
06-03-2011, 16:26
I managed to source a MM from 1983... Im courious to see how it stacks up against the current stuff....

George
06-03-2011, 16:51
As I stated in another thread, I'm a fan of MM, and it's a regular in my rotation. I can understand why others might find lacking a bit. I really like it, even at a price of about $25.

PaulO
06-04-2011, 07:21
I was reading this thinking; if you like WT 101, you also might like Fighting Cock, or Old Grandad 114. WT Rare Breed costs maybe $10 more than WT 101. Rare Breed is higher proof and older. There are some nice rye whiskies too.