PDA

View Full Version : Hipsters Ain't What They Used To Be.

cowdery
05-22-2011, 14:23
In a Chicago hipster bar last night, where the beer of choice seemed to cans of PBR (the Bud Light of hipsters). Saw a guy order his with a shot of Red Stag. I don't think he sensed my opprobrium.

ebo
05-22-2011, 14:40
Opprobrium at what.... the PBR or the Stag? :lol:

sutton
05-22-2011, 14:58
Opprobrium at what.... the PBR or the Stag? :lol:

Now THAT's funny ... :slappin:

cowdery
05-22-2011, 15:17
Both, I guess. One is just an affectation while the other means you're a pussy.

sutton
05-22-2011, 15:32

THAT is even funnier ... :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

ebo
05-22-2011, 15:39

:toast:

StraightNoChaser
05-22-2011, 16:01
Does anyone else feel LESS attracted to Red Stag knowing that Kid Rock is the spokesperson?

Bourbon Boiler
05-22-2011, 16:53
Does anyone else feel LESS attracted to Red Stag knowing that Kid Rock is the spokesperson?

What is Red Stag's target demographic? I know it's not us (I usually don't like to lump an entire board in one group, but I feel safe with this one.), but I can't figure out who it's supposed to be.

mrviognier
05-22-2011, 17:04
Had heard from some of the Beam folks that they plan to expand Mr. Rock's promotional responsibilities with their brand.

Ugh.

soad
05-22-2011, 17:06
In a Chicago hipster bar last night, where the beer of choice seemed to cans of PBR (the Bud Light of hipsters). Saw a guy order his with a shot of Red Stag. I don't think he sensed my opprobrium.

Two confessions:
1) I had a shot of Red Stag once, it was very very early in my bourbon career and was (of course) horrible.

2) Even though I have a masters degree and I had to google the word 'opprobrium'.

chefnash51
05-22-2011, 17:14
While I know it's considered a hipster beer, having tasted and aged some of the finest beers in the world, I can securely say that I love a PBR from time to time.. so what?

IronHead
05-22-2011, 17:25
There is a bar that I visit sometimes on Friday after work that has a good beer list and pretty good food. The issue is that at about 7:00 or so the trucker hat, girl pants and "ironic" facial hair mob starts pouring in. I always try to make sure I am gone before then.

They have 12 taps that are always stocked with something I'd want to drink. But their top selling beer...PBR in a can. I just don't get it. I wouldn't even sneak drinks of that stuff when I was a kid it was so bad. That and you get the added bonus of being able to crap through a screen door the next day if you drink enough of it.

I can't tell if it is a sign of my burgeoning curmudgeon career or what, but I really think that crowd would annoy me even if I was their age.

HP12
05-22-2011, 17:52
PBR and a shot of Red Stag. The stereotypical picture perfect textbook example of "a shot and a beer" bar experience. I wonder if the dude was also chewing on a Slim Jim?

PappyVW23
05-22-2011, 18:40
I must say, i was in a bar known for it's 100's of beers last night. They even have hudreds of glasses so your beer comes in a glass with the logo on it. I ordered a PBR.( after my woodford neat, all they had) The bar tender asked if i wanted a glass. the only beer they serve that they ask you if you want a glass. I guess i was being contrary. the bar is called the mussel bar and i ordered oysters. Oh, and i like PBR. Reminds me of when i was 13.:slappin:

Josh
05-22-2011, 18:49
I brought a bottle of Red Stag to the Gazebo last spring. Word has it that somebody mixed it with Stagg and quite enjoyed it.:bigeyes:

Josh
05-22-2011, 18:50
PBR and a shot of Red Stag. The stereotypical picture perfect textbook example of "a shot and a beer" bar experience. I wonder if the dude was also chewing on a Slim Jim?

RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQjdHUX2T4c

BFerguson
05-22-2011, 19:35
Don't feel too bad about having to look that up.

Hell, I have a doctorate and I don't what that is without looking it up.

B

Two confessions:
1) I had a shot of Red Stag once, it was very very early in my bourbon career and was (of course) horrible.

2) Even though I have a masters degree and I had to google the word 'opprobrium'.

craigthom
05-22-2011, 19:57
I don't think it's that anything is wrong with PBR, it's just that they very successfully marketed it as the cool beer for the too-cool-for-you crowd. It's funny because they think it's for the "irony", when in fact it's because they are sheep. It replaced Rolling Rock as the "in" standard American pilsner.

The real irony is that Pabst is brewed by Miller, their former rival. It's brewed under contract to the "Pabst Brewing Company", which is just a company that owns the names of a large number of former regional beers.

I saw a lot of billboards while traveling last fall that tell me the same company is trying to do the same thing with Schlitz, since the whole Pabst thing is a few years old and the hipsters will be looking for a new cheap "ironic" beer so they can express their individuality the same way everyone else is.

Parkersback
05-22-2011, 20:04
The real irony is that Pabst is brewed by Miller, their former rival. It's brewed under contract to the "Pabst Brewing Company", which is just a company that owns the names of a large number of former regional beers.

Shades of Beam now owning and making their former rivals Grand Dad, Taylor and Crow.

LikeItWasSodaPop
05-22-2011, 20:41
Eh, I have seen so many people order stupid things at bars, hipster and non-hipster that I think it's a bit silly to draw broad strokes from one anectdote. I've seen 6' 9" tattooed buff bros order girly drinks, I've seen seemingly straight-laced / boring chicks order badass pours neat -- from WT 101 to VW stuff. Nevertheless, I think Chuck gets it wrong in that I think "kids these days" as a general rule know more about bourbon than they did, say, 10 years ago when I was one of them. Back then Chicago (the town in question) maybe had 10 (at most) bars with a decent bourbon selection (let's define as more than 5 bourbons/ryes); today it's gotta be 50+ (and growing daily). I feel silly paying $12+ for a pour when I've got better shit at home, but for every Wild Stag ordering waxed curly mustache hipster douche there are ten others actually knowing their shit. And that just wasn't the case before.

As for the hipster hating that I see on this board and a million others, it's sort of sad. I'm probably someone who gets lumped into that contingent from time to time (oooh, pants that fit, glasses, etc.), and I wouldn't self-identify as a hipster, but the stereotyping is a bit weird. Nowadays, the internet means that more people have access to all sorts of cultural info. So it's easier than ever to affect being "hip" than ever before. It used to take work. So I'd say be cautious when it comes to making fun of younger people even though a good number of them are fucking annoying. The skewing-slightly-older audience on this board must love to make fun of "kids these days" for their retarded fashions, etc. (AS DO I), but, dudes, let's look at your fashion from back in the day. News flash: It probably doesn't hold up all so well. All's I'm saying is, kids are stupid and they always have been, always will be. The only difference w/r/t hipsters "back in the day" is that there were less of them, and thus, maybe *slightly* less likely to be self-righteous ignorant douchebags. Emphasis on slightly.

Great story, though.

Curious as to the bar. CC, any hints?

G.H.Adams
05-22-2011, 20:48
When I was in College PBR was called Wasted Space on the Shelf. Don't feel bad I had to look it up too. Masters in English. I guess I was intoxicated on the day that word was discussed.:slappin:

HP12
05-22-2011, 20:58
Pabst, Stroh's, Old Milwaukee, Shlitz, Milwaukee's Best...and many more in the brewery graveyards. It's a cyclical evolution that plays out in every aspect of life.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same"

T Comp
05-22-2011, 21:28
My comment...see my quote line.

callmeox
05-22-2011, 21:48

I bet they thought the combination of PBR and Red Stag was EPIC. :lol:

(BTW, if you're over the age of 20 and you pepper your conversations with the word 'epic', well...)

BBQ+Bourbon
05-22-2011, 22:43
Pabst, Stroh's, Old Milwaukee, Shlitz, Milwaukee's Best...and many more in the brewery graveyards. It's a cyclical evolution that plays out in every aspect of life.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same"
Old Mil shouldn't be lumped in with the others.

As for the "hipsters" and other douchebags, all I can say is that one day you will know why we are laughing at you.

LikeItWasSodaPop
05-22-2011, 23:09
I'm sure Callemox is not talking about me, but I did just refer to a particular tasting as EPIC. See here:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15847&page=2

And tell me if there is a better way to describe it.

J

tmckenzie
05-23-2011, 04:04
PBR with a shot of red gag. Wow, I cannot imagine what his stomach feels like. PBR I like. Drank a whole 6 pack of the tall boys Saturday cutting my lawn. Don't want that other crap though.

MarkEdwards
05-23-2011, 04:44
I think "kids these days" as a general rule know more about bourbon than they did, say, 10 years ago when I was one of them.

F'rinstance, it is no longer popular lore that you can get pregnant from the rim of a cocktail glass. :lol:

MarkEdwards
05-23-2011, 04:45
While I know it's considered a hipster beer, having tasted and aged some of the finest beers in the world, I can securely say that I love a PBR from time to time.. so what?

I hated PBR before it was hip to hate PBR. :lol::lol:

MarkEdwards
05-23-2011, 04:47

I rather liked Strohs. At least the version I had in a big plastic cup at the ballpark in Indianapolis.

ratcheer
05-23-2011, 06:15
I am old, definitely not a hipster. But I have been wanting to try the new PBR to see if it tastes anything like it did back in my day. The same goes for the new Schlitz. Of course, I have seen neither on the shelves in my part of the country.

Tim

flintlock
05-23-2011, 06:21
Here's where I go for really hilarious hipster watching. This guy is genuinely funny if you work your way through his blog. It helps if you understand bicycling as it's mostly centered around the trends associated with urban bicycling culture, which is fertile soil for irony.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

And for fun, google "urban lumberjacks".

Flock of birds...herd of cattle...what about an "affectation of hipsters?"

Tucker
05-23-2011, 06:57
Hipster Traps Appear Around New York City

http://laughingsquid.com/hipster-trap/

mrviognier
05-23-2011, 06:58
PBR is this generation's Rolling Rock, which was the last generation's Bartles & James...

Could be worse. You could go to China and pay $44 for a bottle of PBR (http://gawker.com/5592399/pabst-blue-ribbon-will-run-you-44-a-bottle-in-china). At least they had the good sense to put it in a sexy bottle. :grin:

AaronWF
05-23-2011, 09:22

You can blame only yourself for setting foot in that 'hipster' bar.
I'll take a PBR over a Miller, Bud or god forbid Old Style any day of the week/month/year/century. When I go to a bar with my buddy who makes very little money, PBR is what he drinks so as to afford to keep up the pace; some people can't afford $6-$9 beers all night.

As for the Red Stag... Hipsters are lucky their manifesto recommends PBR, but if Stag is listed in their book as well, I can only feel sorry for em.

stevegoz
05-23-2011, 09:35
PBR? It's all David Lynch's fault! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhiofL2Rh4) (Link NSFW)

callmeox
05-23-2011, 09:58
If we aren't supposed to paint with a broad brush, why do they sell them?

smokinjoe
05-23-2011, 10:18
Ah, "Hipsters". So, that's what these people are called. I Googled it, and the listings in Urban Dictionary.com range from informative to absolutely hilarious. Also, add me to the list of opprobrium Googlers. :) Had to Google trucker hat, too. When I read what it was, I panicked, and went tearing through my closet fearing that I might have one. :eek: Whew!! I think I'm alright. It's a Tatuaje hat. It does have mesh, but it's not foam in the front. Please tell me I'm OK, with this? ;)

Josh
05-23-2011, 10:25
I'm still waiting for Funknik to post in this thread...:lol:

pepcycle
05-23-2011, 11:00
It appears the hipsters may be onto something.

In the last three homebrew contests I judged, light lagers, Helles and light hybrids have prevailed at Best of Show tables.

Seems that the American Palate (Palette?) is evolving. The micro model of too much something to the point of absurd imbalance is on its way out.

The search is now on for cleaner, dryer, lighter, lower alcohol (session) beers.

Another emerging trend is more craft brewed beer in cans!!!

BTW: PBR consistently gets recognition for its style at major international and domestic competitions when tasted blindly.

BTW2: Old Style, Old Milwaukee, Ranier, PBR are all brewed by Pabst Brewing Company and I expect more 50's brands to reappear.

cowdery
05-23-2011, 11:08
One small defense of PBR. It's cheap.

The bar? High Dive on Chicago. I rather liked it but we had issues with a few of the patrons.

I, by the way, was drinking Old Overholt neat.

callmeox
05-23-2011, 11:11
The Your Dad's Beer stand at Progressive Field is dedicated to the old brands. Among the brands they sell there are Strohs, Blatz, Genesee, Little Kings, PBR, Iron City, Busch, Schaefer, Carlings Black Label and others.

At 4.50 a can, they are the cheapest beers in the park.

DeanSheen
05-23-2011, 11:31
The Your Dad's Beer stand at Progressive Field is dedicated to the old brands. Among the brands they sell there are Strohs, Blatz, Genesee, Little Kings, PBR, Iron City, Busch, Schaefer, Carlings Black Label and others.

At 4.50 a can, they are the cheapest beers in the park.

And this stand first appeared two years ago at Browns Stadium in the club section.

At the Jake, I go with the Bud draft by gate A. That Bud in plastic bottles is horrible.

MarkEdwards
05-23-2011, 12:09
One small defense of PBR. It's cheap.

The bar? High Dive on Chicago. I rather liked it but we had issues with a few of the patrons.

Does that come in a can?! :cool:

Josh
05-23-2011, 12:32

The PBR of ryes. DISCUSS.

CorvallisCracker
05-23-2011, 12:42
The Jägerbomb (Red Bull with a shot of Jägermeister) is no longer it?

I am so out of touch.

Josh
05-23-2011, 12:44
The Jägerbomb (Red Bull with a shot of Jägermeister) is no longer it?

I am so out of touch.

Those are for D-bags, not hipster d-bags. Get with it.

OscarV
05-23-2011, 13:57
This whole PRR revival is kinda embarrassing.
Back in the day, (I said back in the day, that is such low life trailer trash talk),...(ya know it's also ghetto project talk),...OK back on topic.
Back in the 1960's Pabst Blue Ribbon was the beer of choice by the blue collar crowd.
You know the hard hat wearers with American flags stuck on them, remember the country song "Red Necks, White Socks And Blue Ribbon Beer"? I try to forget it.
Some say these kids drink PBR because their parents drink lite/light beers.
And they are drinking their Grand-Father's beer not their Father's.
I have been in the beer business since I was 15 years old in retail and wholesale.
Beer drinkers are the most image conscious of all alcohol drinkers.
About a decade ago a bar in Manhattan, NY carried PBR as the only domestic and it became a national trend.
Here is the funny thing about the whole situation, these kids will swear that PBR is the nectar of the Gods and at the same time say Budweiser is rot gut swill unfit for human consuption.
OK,OK there is a difference between PBR and Bud but it sure as hell isn't a canyon of chasms different between the two.
But this isn't the first generation to let their taste buds be fooled by image.
Back in the 1980's Stroh's was the number one seller on the campus of U of M in Ann Arbor. Stroh's and Bud are diferent but not by much and we couldn't give Bud away to those students.
So A-B did a poll on UM campus and found out that the students didn't drink Bud because it was associated with "blue collar" people and Stroh's was a cool because of it's locality.
Remember the movie "Urban Cowboy"? Before that came out long necks were almost history, but guess what? Everyone wanted to look like a Cowboy and wrap a couple of fingers around the neck and cop a cool lean, it helped his self image.

So let me sum up.
Let beer drinkers drink the beer they want cuz 98% of the time it don't make sense to not only you but also to them.

Ian S.
05-23-2011, 14:00
The hipsters here in Austin drink Lone Star and Bulleit.

jcg9779
05-23-2011, 15:32
The hipsters here in Austin drink Lone Star and Bulleit.

Lone Star isn't just a hipster beer...I definitely drank my fill of that back in college when I just up the road from you in Wacky Waco. I still think it's a pretty good beer....or maybe it just takes me back to those fun college days! :cool:

Ian S.
05-23-2011, 15:39
Lone Star isn't just a hipster beer...I definitely drank my fill of that back in college when I just up the road from you in Wacky Waco. I still think it's a pretty good beer....or maybe it just takes me back to those fun college days! :cool:

I agree, not a bad cheap chugging beer. However, the hipsters have latched onto it here.

CorvallisCracker
05-23-2011, 15:43
Here in the valley, I'm pretty sure the hipsters drink Oregon microbrews (broadly defined as anything up to the size of Ninkasi).

I have no idea what they drink up in Portland, but I do know that a lot of the stuff distilled by the small distilleries up there is consumed at the local bars.

SMOWK
05-23-2011, 15:48
This is a pretty funny thread. My thoughts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I

Gillman
05-23-2011, 16:31
Oscar, I remember when craft beers were starting to make some impact (early 80's), big brewers generally were rather dismissive. While craft beers still are a small segment of the total market, they seem to have made a permanent change in the shape of national beer drinking. What do you think of this, when it first started did you think these brews had any real chance? Do you think craft brews ultimately will die away? Is it image driven like I believe most mass market beer drinking is? Where do you see this market going?

Gary

craigthom
05-23-2011, 17:15
Lone Star, Stoh's, Blatz, Carling, and a host of others are all owned by the new "Pabst" Brewing Company, so they are probably brewed by Miller, too.

There are very few breweries from the '60s (heck, the '70s) left. If you see a brand around from back then that isn't Bud, Miller, or Coors, chances are someone new(er) owns the name and is having it brewed under contract by someone else.

MarkEdwards
05-23-2011, 17:18
I spent a good part of my early twenties drinking Lone Star. The "I saw the armadillo" and "National beer of Texas" campaigns were pretty effective. :cool: I even had a Lone Star belt buckle with the bottle opener on the back side, for a few years.

Bourbon Boiler
05-23-2011, 17:29
This is one of the first alcohol-related threads in a long time that has failed to make me crave drinking any.

Special Reserve
05-23-2011, 17:38
I downed plenty of PBR's back in the 60's while bailing hay or straw. We didn't drink high on the hog, that's for sure.

Vosgar
05-23-2011, 19:52
PBR.........brings back fond memories of the mid-70's. My buddies and I would go to the small town summer fairs in southern Wisconsin and the beverage of choice in the beer tent was usually Pabst. We didn't mind at all, you could buy 3 - 7oz shorties for $1. Five bucks bought you a good time, 10 was trouble.

Aw hell, now I feel old.

Gary

DeanSheen
05-23-2011, 20:14
Ahh dont feel bad Gary.

When I was a kid my dad drank long neck PBR. I remember going with my mom to the store to return the bottles and buy another case. PBR used to come with bottles you had to pay a deposit on in these really thick cardboard cases.

But you were probably drinking these:

http://asset-server.libsyn.com/item/1119920/assets/pabstcan_history.jpg

cowdery
05-24-2011, 00:06
Old Style is one of their brands too. Long Chicago's favorite beer. I buy it from time to time. There are just so many of those defunct local and regional beers. G. Heileman of LaCrosse, Wisconsin, also made a beer called Special Export. I remember Sterling and Falls City from my Louisville days, Burger and Schoenling and others from my Cincinnati-area days. My Mom drank Carling's Black Label, which sponsored the Indians games. Before that her family drank Erin, because my great-grandfather was the bookkeeper at Standard Brewery in Cleveland. My favorite cheap beer was P.O.C. at 99 cents for a six pack. It officially meant Pilsner On Call but to us it was Piss Outa Cleveland. Ah, beer nostalgia.

MarkEdwards
05-24-2011, 04:14
Ah, beer nostalgia.

Yep, I still remember my dad drinking Schlitz from a can that needed a church-key opener. No wimpy pop tabs in the day. :cool:

craigthom
05-24-2011, 04:44
"Pabst" also "makes" Special Export now.

I noticed when I moved to Louisville that a lot of neighborhood bars still proudly displayed their Falls City signs, the same way that so many in Milwaukee have old Blatz signs.

There's a new Falls City beer. It's also owned by someone who bought the name and is having it contract brewed, but it's not "Pabst", and they've allegedly changed the recipe to an ale. I say allegedly because it still tastes like a standard American Pilsner to me. It's showing up all over town. I've had one, so I consider my duty fulfilled.

doubleblank
05-24-2011, 06:02
My buddy Jeff E and I have a Monday happy hour ritual. $1 pints of Lone Star at a bar called Stats. Hip and cheap at the same time.......takes experience to pull that off. Jeff is a long time Miller Lite drinker and prefers his Lone Star these days.

Randy

pepcycle
05-24-2011, 08:59
Tangential to this thread is the disappearance of pitchers of beer.

Most Craft and Micros are pint only operations.

Most bars have followed with pints for tap and everything else in cans or bottles.
(If you're going to drink a PBR and be hip, you don't want to pour it into a glass and have someone else mistake it for a Sam Adams or Stella)

I think the last holdout of pitchers is the College Watering Hole where the wait at the bar is too long.

BTW: I know all the words to Red Necks, White Socks and Blue Ribbon Beer. My dad's collar couldn't be bluer and wide mouth bottles are still sacrilege

AaronWF
05-24-2011, 09:14

Most bars that have attached breweries (or breweries with attached bars) favor the growler. I can't recall how much liquid they hold, but it's basically a glass jug of beer you can buy to take home or drink at the bar.

I think most sports bars around me still serve pitchers, but it's mostly piss beer they're offering.

stevegoz
05-24-2011, 09:27
Most bars that have attached breweries (or breweries with attached bars) favor the growler. I can't recall how much liquid they hold, but it's basically a glass jug of beer you can buy to take home or drink at the bar.

I think most sports bars around me still serve pitchers, but it's mostly piss beer they're offering.

Growlers are generally half-gallon, and meant to be taken elsewhere. In our state, they're supposed to be sealed with a plastic shrinkwrap around the cap according to one bartender I've talked to, though this is not the practice everywhere. (Which is why I asked a bartender about it....)

MarkEdwards
05-24-2011, 09:32
Growlers are generally half-gallon, and meant to be taken elsewhere. In our state, they're supposed to be sealed with a plastic shrinkwrap around the cap according to one bartender I've talked to, though this is not the practice everywhere. (Which is why I asked a bartender about it....)

Oh, that looks like the rootbeer jugs we used to get at Dog 'n' Suds in Indiana!

unclebunk
05-24-2011, 10:20

Most bars have followed with pints for tap and everything else in cans or bottles.
(If you're going to drink a PBR and be hip, you don't want to pour it into a glass and have someone else mistake it for a Sam Adams or Stella)

I think the last holdout of pitchers is the College Watering Hole where the wait at the bar is too long.

I go to a local blues bar every Thursday night where they still have pitchers of Miller High Life for $10 which makes for a cheap night out for me. Sam Adams pitchers are $15 but I tend to stick with the High Life so that I have enough money in my pocket for the $1.50 shots of Wild Turkey. I can get soaking wet for $20. Not bad, eh?

cowdery
05-24-2011, 13:22
I was in Murphy's Bleachers the other day (the bar right across from the Wrigley Field bleacher entrance) and they still offer pitchers of everything on tap, which includes some good micros and imports.

craigthom
05-24-2011, 15:00
The two microbrewery "tasting rooms" that I've spent the most time in, Tyranena (http://www.tyranena.com/) in Lake Mills, Wisconsin, and Bluegrass Brewing Company (http://bluegrassbrew.com/) in Louisville both sell pitchers.

Both are at the microbreweries and both sell just their own beer, no food or soft drinks or liquor. In addition to pints, pitchers, and growlers to go, Tyranena also sells liters. Boy, howdy.

(I am talking about the Bluegrass Brewing Company (http://bluegrassbrew.com/) that has a brewery and sells packaged beer, not the one that operates the three brewpubs (http://www.bbcbrew.com/). They are separate operations, although I'm sure that wasn't always the case.)

I've also been to a few places in Atlanta that serve pitchers of craft beers.

tmckenzie
05-24-2011, 15:01
still can't beat miller ponies on a hot afternoon. they just ain't sold in New York, that I have seen.

Josh
05-24-2011, 15:05
Nothing better than a cold 40 oz of Mickey's on a hot summer day.

"40 in my lap and it's freezin' my...":lol:

OscarV
05-24-2011, 15:07
Yep, I still remember my dad drinking Schlitz from a can that needed a church-key opener. No wimpy pop tabs in the day. :cool:

And Schlitz was some damn good beer.

gt1jimi
05-24-2011, 15:47
What is Red Stag's target demographic? I know it's not us (I usually don't like to lump an entire board in one group, but I feel safe with this one.), but I can't figure out who it's supposed to be.

Most alcohol producers have been rolling out products with a sweeter taste to appeal to a generation and demographic that was raised on sugary soft drinks. So, the hard ciders, hard lemonades, and now cherry-flavored bourbons are aimed at the palates that like that stuff. I would assume that the new Jack Daniel's Honey-flavored is designed for the same crowd. Hey, we can only hope that, after starting on that stuff, some will graduate to more traditional bourbons.

On the other hand, we are living in one of the Golden Ages of Bourbon, so if selling Red Stag allows Beam to keep making Single Barrel whiskeys, then I am all for it. As long as there is enough to go around, I say Drink What You Like.

cowdery
05-24-2011, 16:48
... if selling Red Stag allows Beam to keep making Single Barrel whiskeys, then I am all for it. As long as there is enough to go around, I say Drink What You Like.

I agree completely, it's just always funny to see how people knit together their taste preferences and their image affectations. It also seems to be an 'anything goes' world out there. Traditional rules just don't seem to apply. I guess the pessimist calls this rudderless while the optimist calls it liberating.

For me I think it was when the word 'cornhole' went from meaning what it used to mean to being the name of a popular bean bag game. Likewise the shift in meaning of the term 'hook up.'

mosugoji64
05-25-2011, 01:11
Okay, in response to all of the mentions of Schlitz, I have to say that I love Schlitz. And the fact that no stores here carry it only endears it that much more. Red Stag, however, is awful. Received a sample of it at the distillery and thought it was crap, and this is coming from someone who likes cough syrup. :lol:

ratcheer
05-25-2011, 05:47
For me I think it was when the word 'cornhole' went from meaning what it used to mean to being the name of a popular bean bag game. Likewise the shift in meaning of the term 'hook up.'

Yes. It blows me away that there is a major national TV ad now where they have a "suck-o-meter" and claim that their product "doesn't suck". In my day, saying something sucked was pretty much right next to the f-word in intensity. These days, not so much, apparently.

Tim

mrviognier
05-25-2011, 06:30
Hey, we can only hope that, after starting on that stuff, some will graduate to more traditional bourbons.

I'll keep hoping, too...but my bet is on the reality that most people knocking back shots of Red Stag are doing so precisely because they can't stand the taste of the harder stuff.

White Dog
05-25-2011, 12:55
I'll keep hoping, too...but my bet is on the reality that most people knocking back shots of Red Stag are doing so precisely because they can't stand the taste of the harder stuff.

They may not stand the harder stuff now, but palates do change. While most SBers hate Red Stag, it's a perfect intro for the newbie drinker. Eases them into real whiskey.

Look at it this way, when you're 5 years old, orange soda and Pez would make a fine dinner. A love for asparagus and brussels sprouts takes time.

And Mat, as you should know, there are a lot of wine collectors out there who started on White Zin. Hell, I'm one of them.

CorvallisCracker
05-25-2011, 13:53
...there are a lot of wine collectors out there who started on White Zin.

Why do you use the qualifier "white"? There's another kind?

kickert
05-25-2011, 14:26

He must be reffering to some crappy zin... All the good zins I drink are more of a pink color; but I gotta tell you, after getting them really cold, they taste great! Nothing better.

White Dog
05-25-2011, 14:38

:lol: :lol: And I love me some Southern Comfort Whiskey!

timd
05-25-2011, 15:40
When I was in college at Texas A&M it was all about Shiner Bock & Pearl Light. Shiner in pitchers was the cheapest you could get and Pearl Light had these cool Rebus Puzzles in the cap and could be as low as $10/case!

And bourbon? Jim Beam White was the "cheap stuff" (and still makes me queasy)- and Wild Turkey was high end. But mostly in South/Central Texas we just drank Sueza Tequila.

Sitting at the Dixie Chicken or outside at Dudley's Draw was the epitome of "hipster" on a college student budget.

That said, I still love and drink Shiner Bock (and Black) although it's easily 2x more expensive now (was $3.00 six pack at the time) and think Wild Turkey is darn good - but won't touch Pearl or Jim Beam

craigthom
05-25-2011, 15:46
And Mat, as you should know, there are a lot of wine collectors out there who started on White Zin. Hell, I'm one of them.

I was working at a wine (and liquor and beer) store when white zinfandels first hit the market in the early '80s. We called them "training wines" because, while they may have been a bit demi-sec for our tastes, at least they weren't Carlo Rossi Rhine in a three liter jug.

SMOWK
05-25-2011, 17:26
And bourbon? Jim Beam White was the "cheap stuff" (and still makes me queasy)- and Wild Turkey was high end.

The good ol' days of youthful drunkenness. Funny that a few dollars could tip the scales, but when coins in the couch could mean a taco or two, or perhaps a few Top Ramen's, I can totally understand.

imbibehour
05-25-2011, 17:33
Ah hipsters... at my age getting into the point where I am no longer cool...

Hipsters are always fun...

If you're working the part, drinking the right beer (supposedly), wearing the right clothes...

you're probably not one....

cowdery
05-25-2011, 17:37
I remember when getting a good bottle of wine for a special date meant Lancer's or Mateus Rose. People grow up.

Then again, my mom went to her grave believing "a good bottle of wine" meant Blue Nun Liebfraumilch. In her defense, however, Blue Nun is often credited with introducing her generation to wine and most of her children know their way around wine pretty well.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I care if anybody who drinks Red Stag uses it as a gateway to better stuff. So long as I can get the stuff I want to drink I don't really care what anyone else is drinking.

Special Reserve
05-25-2011, 17:39
I remember when getting a good bottle of wine for a special date meant Lancer's or Mateus Rose. People grow up.

Then again, my mom went to her grave believing "a good bottle of wine" meant Blue Nun Liebfraumilch. In her defense, however, Blue Nun is often credited with introducing her generation to wine and most of her children know their way around wine pretty well.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I care if anybody who drinks Red Stag uses it as a gateway to better stuff. So long as I can get the stuff I want to drink I don't really care what anyone else is drinking.

Chuck,

What a great post. Sums it very well.

Will

OscarV
05-25-2011, 17:46

Then again, my mom went to her grave believing "a good bottle of wine" meant Blue Nun Liebfraumilch. In her defense, however, Blue Nun is often credited with introducing her generation

Oh c'mon Chuck, I know you did just like me and got those Lambusco's at 3 for $5.
They went well with cheap Mexican reefer.

imbibehour
05-25-2011, 17:46

I have great memories as a young kid going out for Chinese and my parents ordering bottles of Mateus.

Man those were the days...

cowdery
05-25-2011, 17:55
Oh c'mon Chuck, I know you did just like me and got those Lambusco's at 3 for $5.
They went well with cheap Mexican reefer.

I said a good bottle for a special date. The rest of the time, yeah, of course. And before that it was Boone's Farm and Annie Green Springs, and before that it was Mad Dog, Ripple, cherry vodka, and sloe gin from the little store in the Flats that we knew sold to minors. I've always been the budget degenerate.

craigthom
05-25-2011, 18:00
I've never had either of those Portuguese wines. If they are still available I should pick up a bottle of Lancer Rose, just because the opaque bottle is cool, and I understand they are slightly carbonated.

There was another Liebfraumilch (got it on the first try, according to Chrome!), Black Tower, that also came in an opaque bottle.

The wine I most often take to family dinners is a Gewürztraminer (from Washington; the Alsatian ones are pricey). It's not too dry and is spicy enough to hold up to turkey or ham. It's not as cloying as the pink training wine.

(I love how the Chrome spell checker knew how to spell both those wines. Now for the real test: Trockenbeerenauslese. Nope. It doesn't know that.)

MarkEdwards
05-25-2011, 18:10
I remember when getting a good bottle of wine for a special date meant Lancer's or Mateus Rose.

When I was kid, I felt I was doing good to get Annie Green Springs or Boones Farm.

callmeox
05-25-2011, 18:32
We were no hipsters, but our cheap crap of choice was Sun Country Coolers (in the 2 liter bottle) and enough Little Kings to float a barge. :grin:

jburlowski
05-25-2011, 19:10
Proud to say (OK... maybe a little sad to say) that I can no longer be considered hip. In fact, my hips seem to have all but disappeared and I have to keep hitching my pants up (over my stomach). Soon my waistband will be near my underarms. :frown:

Makes it hard to say that I have short arms and can't buy the next round...:shithappens:

OscarV
05-25-2011, 19:18
and enough Little Kings to float a barge. :grin:

Hey now, Little Kings ain't a bad beer at all.

DeanSheen
05-25-2011, 19:32
Hey now, Little Kings ain't a bad beer at all.

I was at a distributor tasting a couple weeks ago and they had the Little Kings tall boy cans. I chuckled to myself and then watched several others walk up to the table and point at them. Strange to see them packaged that way.

T Comp
05-25-2011, 19:41
Drinking Ripple, Mad Dog and Boone's Farm (I remember the excitement when they came out with strawberry hill) probably means your over 55. Being 57 soon, they were my staples from 1970 to 1972. I had my 15 minutes of fame among friends when Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull called for my bottle of Ripple and proceeded to chug half the bottle before hitting the stage. The show was in a storage shed type hall at the Majestic ski grounds in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin and the always trustworthy internet confirms it was 8/15/70.

Gillman
05-25-2011, 19:49
Little Kings is an excellent cream ale, an old style almost lost today. Genesse Cream Ale is still made and some craft brewers have attempted the style. You need to get it very fresh though, like all beer I guess but it's more important with a lighter style.

In my days of big rock shows the beverage of choice would have been beer, which meant then (in Montreal where I grew up) Molson Export Ale, Labatt 50 or another mass market ale. I remember too Sangrias in the bars downtown.

To this day, when I occasionally drink, say, a Molson, it brings me back to the sheds and the shows, Proustian-style. :)

Gary

MarkEdwards
05-26-2011, 04:59
Drinking Ripple, Mad Dog and Boone's Farm (I remember the excitement when they came out with strawberry hill) probably means your over 55.

My strongest memory of this was in 1973 when I bought 3 bottles of Boone's Farm, triple-paper-bagged them, and dumped in a small bag of ice.

I wasn't feeling well that night, so my girlfriend (later, my first wife) and her niece got shit-faced, while I only had a few ounces. I had had a big argument with my folks, so I slept in my car next to the niece's house.

They threw up on my 67 Ford Galaxy (thankfully, on the OUTSIDE of the car), and the niece tried to crawl into the front seat with me at 2 in the morning.

We all thought we were so hip drinking 'the cool stuff'. :shocked:

CorvallisCracker
05-26-2011, 11:13
Never really got into the pop wines. Before I was legal, I'd take whatever was available at the party so, yes, I drank a share of it. However on 1 July 1973 (when I was 19) Florida dropped the drinking age to 18. I tried a variety of things, including some of those trendy new "light" whiskies, but quickly settled on WT 8/101 as my spirit of choice.

Beer? Didn't care for American adjunct lager. One of my favorite local spots was a Lum's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lum%27s) which had a couple of German beers on tap, one being "Munchener Dark" and the other being Löwenbräu (this being before the Miller produced crap, which had corn in it). I liked them both, and could find the Löwenbräu in bottles at a couple of stores, so that became my beer of choice.

So I'd show up at parties with either a bottle of WT or a sixpack of Löwenbräu. If someone offered me Boones Farm I'd say, "Sure! Where's the water pipe?" :cool:

ILLfarmboy
05-26-2011, 13:05
Proud to say (OK... maybe a little sad to say) that I can no longer be considered hip. In fact, my hips seem to have all but disappeared and I have to keep hitching my pants up (over my stomach). Soon my waistband will be near my underarms. :frown:

Makes it hard to say that I have short arms and can't buy the next round...:shithappens:

I never understood wearing your pants over your stomach. I went the other way. But now my ass is disapearing and now my pants will easily droop but oddly are dificult to pull up.

I'm going for the middle aged gang banger look. (early middle age)

Hipsters, I didn't even know what they were till reading this thread.

kickert
05-26-2011, 13:10
Hipsters, I didn't even know what they were till reading this thread.

Don't worry Brad, I am pretty sure no one will ever mistake you for a hipster.

SMOWK
05-26-2011, 15:36
Nothing beats a cold PBR after working on your fixie bike all day.

ebo
05-26-2011, 16:36
Nothing beats a cold PBR after working on your fixie bike all day.
Nothing except a cold Sammuel Adams, Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc...:lol:

On another note... how do stop a fixie when going down a hill? All the ones I've seen don't have brakes.:grin:

tmckenzie
05-27-2011, 05:52
We did not have a store in the flats, it was a place called rankins, and he always kept EW black for me, and I would always get a couple 6 packs of sterling and falls city in the short squatty bottles, that was fine stuff. It did not matter what you got, you had to wake him up to pay for it. We always said you could send a baby in with 5 bucks and it would come out with a 6 pack and the right change. Does anybody know if falls city and sterling is still being made? I think it was made in Louisville.

Gillman
05-27-2011, 05:56
Tom, I was just in Newport, KY and there are a number of Falls City signs still around, mostly on taverns or groceries. I've seen them in Louisville too where it all started. I haven't seen the beer itself in the stores but this suggests one old iteration of the brand (the pale ale) is back:

http://fallscitybeer.com/.

The brewery closed in the 1980's I believe. I used to buy it on the East Coast and Sterling too back in that era. For those who have a hankering for decent old school beers, I'd give the recreated Narragansett a try, it is made I believe in Rochester, NY (at the old Genessee plant) under contract for the owner of the brand. They took some care in the recreation and it is very good as is their line extensions (porter, bock are some).

Gary

stevegoz
05-27-2011, 08:56
Hipsters in Champaign-Urbana circa 1990 knew where it was at -- Carling's Black Label, Rhinelander and Falstaff were all consumed by the case, and empties kept for the return deposit. And 40s of malt liquor. {shudder}

cowdery
05-27-2011, 09:07
Falls City was from Louisville (site of the Falls of the Ohio) and Sterling was from Evansville, Indiana. Both are part of the Pabst portfolio.

IronHead
05-27-2011, 10:06
My grandfather was a Falls City man while my dad drank Sterling. I remember thinking Sterling was so horrid that I didn't even want to steal it for a cheap buzz as a kid. Maybe the old man was on to something there...

craigthom
05-27-2011, 12:06
The new Falls City isn't part of the Pabst portfolio, but it isn't anything to write home about, either: it's bother mediocre and overpriced. If they were selling it at PBR prices I could see it taking over the hipster market in Louisville, but it isn't, so it's for trendy folks with more money than taste.

It's contract-brewed somewhere else, and they've changed the recipe, so it only has a name in common with the company that made Billy Beer.

The city if full of old Falls City signs, the same way Milwaukee has lovingly-maintained Blatz and Schlitz signs.

cigarnv
05-27-2011, 12:12
In Philly it was Schmidt's, Ortliebs and Schafer ... 5 glasses for a buck on tap. For the ladies only the best... Riunite Lambrusco or Pink Catawba.

sutton
05-27-2011, 12:42
In Philly it was Schmidt's, Ortliebs and Schafer ... 5 glasses for a buck on tap. For the ladies only the best... Riunite Lambrusco or Pink Catawba.

I think we were getting Yeungling for less than $8 or $9 a case in the early 80's. It was a decent beer, and they had a black&tan bottling as well. It came in these short stout bottles then. What I remember most about it was my roommate leaving a swallow or two in the bottom of the bottle, and then slapping his hand down on the top, thereby popping the bottom out of the bottle just like you had cut it with a diamond...

unclebunk
05-27-2011, 13:21
Ballantine, Schafer and Rheingold back in my teenaged days in NYC, though my brother preferred Piels for .99 cents a six pack! (Wouldn't the glass bottles alone have cost the brewery nearly a buck, I used to wonder?)

Josh
05-27-2011, 14:18
I think we were getting Yeungling for less than $8 or $9 a case in the early 80's. It was a decent beer, and they had a black&tan bottling as well. It came in these short stout bottles then. What I remember most about it was my roommate leaving a swallow or two in the bottom of the bottle, and then slapping his hand down on the top, thereby popping the bottom out of the bottle just like you had cut it with a diamond...

I hope the swallow was ok.

smokinjoe
05-27-2011, 15:44

:lol: That's funny. Josh, you never fail to entertain.

callmeox
05-27-2011, 15:48
:lol: That's funny. Josh, you never fail to entertain.

Had to read it twice.

Jokey Josh is en fuego. :grin:

fishnbowljoe
05-27-2011, 16:06
As a teenager, it was a Stroh's stay cold 12 pack, some $0.05 cigars, and camping out overnight in the woods near where I lived. :puke: To quote a line our bowling team uses frequently, "Same as it ever was." :lol: Joe

jcg9779
05-27-2011, 16:22
Had to read it twice.

Jokey Josh is en fuego. :grin:

I can understand why you wouldn't get it the first time! :lol:

Just kidding, Scott!

callmeox
05-27-2011, 16:52
I can understand why you wouldn't get it the first time! :lol:

Just kidding, Scott!

I went back looking for an oral sex joke and found a bird joke.

:cool:

Josh
05-27-2011, 17:29
I went back looking for an oral sex joke and found a bird joke.

:cool:

I think that says something about you, Scott. :lol:

callmeox
05-27-2011, 19:04
I think that says something about you, Scott. :lol:

Yeah..."male". :grin:

kickert
05-27-2011, 19:08
must.... resist... taking... thread... deeper... into.... the.... gutter....

Damn you self-control...

Ian S.
05-27-2011, 19:13
must.... resist... taking... thread... deeper... into.... the.... gutter....

Damn you self-control...

You just had to do it...:skep:

tmckenzie
05-28-2011, 18:20
I was in the store stocking up today and thought I might want some cold beer to go with the lawnmower again. They had utica club, 7 bucks a 12 pack. Way better than I thought it was. I enjoyed half of them. The rest are in the fridge.

unclebunk
05-28-2011, 19:07
I was in the store stocking up today and thought I might want some cold beer to go with the lawnmower again. They had utica club, 7 bucks a 12 pack. Way better than I thought it was. I enjoyed half of them. The rest are in the fridge.

One of my father's favorites from his student teaching days before I was even born. This summer when I'm passing through upstate New York I plan on picking up a twelver to bring home.

sutton
05-29-2011, 17:57

:grin: No wonder the bottom came off so easily - and I thought I might have had one too many watching those birds flying away...

G.H.Adams
05-31-2011, 21:52
Everyone talking about Falls City beer brings back memories. Back when I lived in West Virginia my best friend had a pet spider monkey. It would only drink Falls City beer. We used to have fun with folks. We would pour Falls City beer and another beer in cups. If you gave the monkey the cup with Falls City in it he would drink it. If you gave him the cup with another beer in it he would throw at you. Ah the good old days.:slappin:

tmckenzie
06-01-2011, 05:32
HA! I bet a drunk spider monkey is a damn mess.

Josh
06-01-2011, 06:45
"Hey, piano guy, your monkey drank my beer!"

"I don't know that one, but if you just hum a few bars...":lol:

G.H.Adams
06-01-2011, 21:43
My friend had to watch the monkey's intake of Falls City. If he got bombed he would tear up the house and my friends mother would go ballistic. She reminded me of Clint Eastwood's mother in Every Which Way But Loose. "Get that damn monkey (Ape) out of my house.":slappin:

fishnbowljoe
06-01-2011, 22:08
... and what ever happened to Boone's Farm? :slappin:

Gillman
06-02-2011, 05:54
I think the brand is still made.

Here is a blast from the past (in more ways than one):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhWgFGbMspE

craigthom
06-02-2011, 07:29
... and what ever happened to Boone's Farm? :slappin:

It's still around, but they are getting serious competition from Arbor Mist.

tmckenzie
06-02-2011, 18:13
seen it in walmart today.

Gillman
06-02-2011, 18:18
They say whatever's old is new again (a truism I don't doubt except as applied to, say, Pre-Prohibition Old Crow). White Zinfandel is sort of like Boone's Strawberry Wine, isn't it? And I'll confess a liking for it, on the rocks too just like in that 70's ad I posted. Sweeter is better than drier.

I remember one time climbing a hill along Keuka Lake, NY, at night for a festival (I recall the old fire engines displayed, cotton candy, white hots), and I won in a game a bottle of locally produced rose, something made from local grape varieties not vinifera. It was ice cold and I drank it after some equally iced draft Genny Cream.

That was living, friends, in the American summertime..

Gary

cowdery
06-02-2011, 20:48
As I like to say, every generation gets the vampires it deserves.

There have always been pop wines. They're not really wines, in a marketing sense, they're beer alternatives. So Boone's Farm or Cella Lambrusco or Arbor Mist has more in common with Smirnoff Ice than they do with Lindeman's or any other legitimate table wine, regardless of price.

mrviognier
06-02-2011, 21:01

There have always been pop wines. They're not really wines, in a marketing sense, they're beer alternatives. So Boone's Farm or Cella Lambrusco or Arbor Mist has more in common with Smirnoff Ice than they do with Lindeman's or any other legitimate table wine, regardless of price.

You lost me at Cella. While not a great (not even good) wine, it shouldn't be lumped in that crowd.

And since when is Lindeman's 'legitimate'? There's enough residual sugar in the Chardonnay to qualify it as wine cooler. :lol:

doubleblank
06-02-2011, 21:03
1975. Handle of Jack. Bucket of fried chicken. Best of times....worst of times

But when a date was involved, sloe gin fizz or Boone's Farm.

Randy

Josh
06-02-2011, 21:17

Nobody deserves the smooth-chested vampires who like to talk about their feelings we have today.

As for me, I'll stick with my Alize with a Mickey's chaser, tyvm.

mrviognier
06-02-2011, 21:17
I went to a party a few years back with a lot of fellow winemakers. The theme of the party was "bring the first wine-based beverage you remember drinking". There was a lot of Mateus, Blue Nun, et al.

I brought a bottle of cold duck and a carton of orange juice. When I was a kid, I used to mix the two...'cause that cold duck is waaaay too dry to drink on its own. And, yup, I poured myself a tumbler of this concoction. How'd it taste?

Ever had Ipecac? :grin:

ILLfarmboy
06-02-2011, 21:36
Nobody deserves the smooth-chested vampires who like to talk about their feelings we have today.

I'll second that.

Though it was a before my time, and most if not all episodes were in black and white, I'll take Dark Shadows over that sissy crap. (netflix on demand is great)

Though, I gotta say, I figured you'd go for that Twilight stuff.:grin:

ILLfarmboy
06-02-2011, 21:48
Ever had Ipecac? :grin:

I hope it didn't have the same effect as syrup of ipecac. :cool:

mrviognier
06-02-2011, 22:01
I hope it didn't have the same effect as syrup of ipecac. :cool:

Close...but I managed to keep it down.

mosugoji64
06-02-2011, 23:19
I'll second that.

Though it was a before my time, and most if not all episodes were in black and white, I'll take Dark Shadows over that sissy crap. (netflix on demand is great)

Though, I gotta say, I figured you'd go for that Twilight stuff.:grin:

I don't know about all of those Twilight weenies, but the True Blood vamps would at least have some good bourbon available to them! :grin:

PaulO
06-03-2011, 08:16
Wow Chuck, You really started a thread. I've never tried Red Stag, and don't plan on it. The whole concept reminds me of those dreadful premixed cocktails; for people that are too ignorant to mix two or three things together. If some one really wanted to be hip or cool, they could order a Manhattan or Old Fashioned. On the other hand; I have no problem with PBR. It's a good cheap beer. I think it's as good or better than Bud, Busch, Coors, Miller..., or any of the light beers.

kickert
06-03-2011, 09:22
I don't know about all of those Twilight weenies, but the True Blood vamps would at least have some good bourbon available to them! :grin:

Whoa... the mention of bourbon in this "General Bourbon Discussion" threw me off there... :slappin: :lol: :slappin:

mosugoji64
06-03-2011, 10:09
Whoa... the mention of bourbon in this "General Bourbon Discussion" threw me off there... :slappin: :lol: :slappin:

Just tryin' to bring it back ... :lol:

cowdery
06-03-2011, 10:25
You lost me at Cella. While not a great (not even good) wine, it shouldn't be lumped in that crowd.

And since when is Lindeman's 'legitimate'? There's enough residual sugar in the Chardonnay to qualify it as wine cooler. :lol:

I guess your point with Cella is that at least lambrusco is a legitimate type that existed before it became an American pop-wine and Lindeman's is, like Yellow Tail and Vendage, in a class of cheap 'starter' wines that at least pose as legitimate varietals.

craigthom
06-03-2011, 13:21
I guess your point with Cella is that at least lambrusco is a legitimate type that existed before it became an American pop-wine and Lindeman's is, like Yellow Tail and Vendage, in a class of cheap 'starter' wines that at least pose as legitimate varietals.

Yellow Tail may be made from traditional grapes, but it is high enough in residual sugar that it's a stretch to call it a legitimate style. I guess in this way it's a lot like white zinfandel.

mrviognier
06-03-2011, 17:42

You'd be right.:grin:

I import some might tasty Lambrusco...real, authentic and having very little in common with the swill Aldo used to shill.

Lindeman's used to be pretty good wine...that is until they went global, and embraced the K-J 'a spoonful of sugar' mentality.

redneckmatt
06-03-2011, 17:55
Wait, I'm confused here.

Since when is PBR a "hipster" drink? That stuff around here is known as liquid aluminum and most people wouldn't touch it... and I'm in the target demographic.

callmeox
06-03-2011, 20:05
Wait, I'm confused here.

Since when is PBR a "hipster" drink? That stuff around here is known as liquid aluminum and most people wouldn't touch it... and I'm in the target demographic.

Well, if you Google "hipster beer" the first result is a CNN Money article from 2009 about PBR doing well in the recession. That's probably a good starting point. :grin:

marna
06-03-2011, 21:05
I went through a Zima phase, which disqualifies me from the hipster class forever. I even managed to miss Zima Gold - with a "taste of bourbon."
Marna

Special Reserve
06-04-2011, 05:12
I went through a Zima phase...

I did too, one bottle.

Even though we are in a golden age for both bourbon and beer. I can see why PBR and other nondescript beers remain popular. It is what a large section of the alcohol consuming population want.

mrviognier
06-04-2011, 07:12
I went through a Zima phase, which disqualifies me from the hipster class forever. I even managed to miss Zima Gold - with a "taste of bourbon."
Marna

But...if you were drinking Zima while wearing Zubas you were kind of a hipster. Extra points if your wore your hair in a mullet. :grin:

cowdery
06-04-2011, 09:19
Aldo Cella, by the way, was played by a New York actor named Jimmy who was a very nice guy. I worked on the brand in the early 1980s. It was a Brown-Forman property.

Reunite was the brand that originally popularized the very sweet, fizzy style of Lambrusco in the U.S. Brown-Forman came later but took the market from them with more effective advertising, promotion and distribution. Wine Coolers killed the Lambruscos, Brown-Forman spent $80 million to buy California Cooler, then that market died out too.

CorvallisCracker
06-04-2011, 10:21
By definition, anything that's trendy can't stay that way.

craigthom
06-04-2011, 21:32
Reunite on ice! That's nice!

I was working retail when the wine cooler craze hit. They were huge, but I can't remember any of the brands besides California Coolers and Bartles & Jaymes.

This was also around the time white zinfandel showed up. There were some other blush wines, but Sutter Home really took off. And they are still around, so that's one fad with legs.

Is the cheap too-soft-to-be-interesting Merlot fad still going on? I know it was five or six years ago.

Lost Pollito
06-05-2011, 00:08
This thread has inspired me to re-visit malt liquor. Thanks.:rolleyes:

tmckenzie
06-05-2011, 05:39
get wome mickeys or olde english 888 in the quart bottle. mighty fine stuff.

OscarV
06-05-2011, 05:53
Might as well get the best if it's malt liquor you want to try.
Haffenreffer Private Stock is real good, imho.

Gillman
06-05-2011, 06:05
Glad you mentioned that one Oscar. The last time I saw Tim Sousley, I had some extra beers I couldn't bring home on the plane and asked him to take them to Columbia. They included two large tins of this beer and some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Book ends, you might say, of the American brewing experience (one an old-school malt liquor, the other a standard bearer of the craft beer revolution). With his usual kindness, I had a note from Tim not long after thanking me again and saying he enjoyed them. Tim RIP.

Gary

mrviognier
06-05-2011, 07:26
Reunite on ice! That's nice!

I was working retail when the wine cooler craze hit. They were huge, but I can't remember any of the brands besides California Coolers and Bartles & Jaymes.

I was working retail, too. Seagrams had Golden, then there was Sun Country in the 2-liter bottle...remember those? There were a lot of wanna-bes, but they quickly fell by the wayside. Cost of production and taxation soon shifted these wine-based beverages to malt. So, in a way, the plethora of Smirnoff Ice, Mike's Hard Lemonade, et al are the progeny of the wine cooler craze.

Which is only fitting. The category has come full circle...after all, the granddaddy of the category was/is Champale...
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii95/mrviognier/champale.jpg

Parkersback
06-05-2011, 08:46
Might as well get the best if it's malt liquor you want to try.
Haffenreffer Private Stock is real good, imho.

You want to stay away from the Common Stock, yeah? I am assuming, it's not nearly as good.

tmckenzie
06-05-2011, 12:23
Reunite on ice reminded me of another catchy phrase. What's the word? Thunderbird! Thunderbird when it was apple wine was not bad.

OscarV
06-05-2011, 12:45
Ahh, but back in the day a bottle of Ripple with a pack of strawberry Kool-Aid powder poured in made what you were smoking that much sweeter.

cowdery
06-05-2011, 14:03
I have a strong memory of Haffenreffer Private Stock in what I think was a 16 oz. bottle. It's a strong and distant memory but i can't remember anything except that Haffenreffer Private Stock was part of it. I wonder what that's about?

mrviognier
06-05-2011, 14:05
What's the word? Thunderbird!

How's it sold? Good and cold!
What's the jive? Bird's alive!
What's the price? Thirty twice.

Thunderbird when it was apple wine was not bad.

No, friend...Thunderbird was always bad. :grin:

Josh
06-05-2011, 16:23
For those who might be interested, I present http://www.bumwine.com/

craigthom
06-05-2011, 16:55
Didn't Colt 45 predate Champale? And for flavored beer, didn't Malt Duck?

Those are the ancestors of Zima and Skyy Blue and all those other flavored beers. Some things only seem to change.

ILLfarmboy
06-05-2011, 18:01

I'll cop to drinking a few of those in the eighties.

Cut me some slack. I was a teenager. I don't recall the California Coolers but the "berry" flavored Bartles and Jaymes was quite decent. Besides, back then, as others have noted, they were not the malt beverages of today.

A couple on a hot day was refreshing. More than that and they weren't so easy on the stomach. I don't remember them as being overly sweet, but in that regard they did have the same effect as too much really sweet ice tea.

the Duff
06-05-2011, 19:53

Funniest thing I've read since "the Egg and I"

I'm gonna have to share this!

jcg9779
06-05-2011, 20:05

hahaha great post, Josh!

cowdery
06-05-2011, 22:37
OMG, I forgot Night Train. What a stagger down Memory Lane this has been.

mosugoji64
06-05-2011, 23:17
Had a girlfriend a long time ago who drank too much Cisco and ended up spray-painting a motel room red. Boy, those were the days :rolleyes:

tmckenzie
06-06-2011, 05:53
How's it sold? Good and cold!
What's the jive? Bird's alive!
What's the price? Thirty twice.

No, friend...Thunderbird was always bad. :grin:

to you maybe, but I actually still like the taste of manischewitz. And some of the best wine in the world is made around the distillery.

tmckenzie
06-06-2011, 05:54
OMG, I forgot Night Train. What a stagger down Memory Lane this has been.

what about red dagger?

cowdery
06-06-2011, 08:39
Don't know that one. Apparently there is a limit to my depravity.

edo
06-06-2011, 09:50
I've had many many of the things y'all are holding up as objects of ridicule. PBR, Stroh's and much worse Carling Black Label, Rhinelander, Olympia (nice can),

... but them Little Kings were tasty. Do they still make them?

... and one that's not been mentioned:

Hamm's beer from the keg. Man, there was a Cubs tavern that used to serve that ice cold in non-frosted glass, 25 cents ...(1975?)... sure made watching the Cubs easier.

Is Hamm's (from the land of sky blue waters) draft still around?

MarkEdwards
06-06-2011, 19:08
Apparently there is a limit to my depravity.

How is that possible? :slappin:

craigthom
06-06-2011, 19:12
Hamm's, at least as a name, is still around. It is not, surprising, brewed by Miller for the new Pabst "Brewing" Company, but is actually owned by MillerCoors.

Parkersback
06-06-2011, 19:52
I once drank a 40 of a beverage called Crazy Horse in a hot tub. It was a long night which went downhill from there, both figuratively and literally.

LikeItWasSodaPop
06-13-2011, 10:35
Here are some stupid, drunk hipsters drinking OGD 114:

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/overunder/1703-dom/2733-raise-the-roof/

Since the majority here seems to really hate hipsters (OK, I'm sensitive, because I get lumped, unfairly IMHO, into that category), I thought I'd provide some cannon fodder.

Maybe you shouldn't chug OGD 114 from the bottle?

"You just said walk out the door, on an airplane."

DeanSheen
06-13-2011, 11:17
Never thought I'd see the day that a Pitchfork link made it to SB.

cowdery
06-13-2011, 16:46
It's not so much that anyone hates hipsters as it is that hipster is a pejorative term. Nobody says, "I'm a hipster." Today people will say they are 'old hippies,' but back in the day the only people who self-identified as hippies were undercover cops.

AaronWF
06-14-2011, 14:25
Yeah, I don't think there's really any such thing as a hipster, as they tend not to exist in solitude. When a dude spends an hour doing his hair so that it looks like his scalp vomited over his shoulder, and spends a few hundred bones on clothes that make him look like a teenage Axl Rose, then spouts expletive-laced opinions, he's just a douche.

When a couple of these guys get together and douche it up, they're hipsters. Get one alone and sober, maybe he's not such a bad guy.

OscarV
06-14-2011, 14:52
I'm sorry, I just drank a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon, were you talking about me?

toddinjax
06-15-2011, 15:42
How many hipsters does it take to change a light bulb?

It's a really obscure number...you wouldn't know it:lol:

jeanraulmitchell
06-16-2011, 12:14
I'd say, if you are worried about worrying about your hair or worried about other guys fixing their own hair than you may want to seek professional help or at least get the stick removed from your a**.

Flyfish
06-17-2011, 13:26

I keep a bottle of Red Stag (never to be confused with George T. Stagg) at the back of the shelf behind the Evan Williams Honey. It's for when my daughter visits. (There's your demographic.) The Honey is to pour over pound cake or bread pudding.

jcg9779
06-17-2011, 20:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/red2black/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=247298#post247298)

I keep a bottle of Red Stag (never to be confused with George T. Stagg) at the back of the shelf behind the Evan Williams Honey. It's for when my daughter visits. (There's your demographic.) The Honey is to pour over pound cake or bread pudding.

I was at the store the other day and an older couple was looking for Red Stag. They were having trouble finding it so I pointed it out to them and the lady said something about never having heard of it before. I said that it has a cherry flavor, but that I haven't tried it. The man started laughing saying that his wife's friend loves it, but he hasn't worked up the nerve to try it himself (he had a bottle of Blanton's in hand).

fussychicken
06-19-2011, 21:55
Never thought I'd see the day that a Pitchfork link made it to SB.

LOL, my thoughts exactly. What does that say about LikeItWasSodaPop, DeanSheen, and fussychicken? :)

And say what you guys will about hipsters, but here we are, a bunch of old guys and mostly non-hipsters about 200 posts into a thread about hipsters. Clearly a lightning rod?

I say ignore them at your own peril. You may not like it, but history books are already being written defining the hippies as the cultural leaders for the hugely influential boomer generation. I don't see much out there that suggests things will be different for the hipsters and gen Y.

And just for the record, yes there is indeed some PBR in the fridge right now!! But unfortunately, my trust fund of 0.0 dollars doesn't allow for Silverlake or Williamsburg living. And plus I'm going bald!! So I guess no hipster for me...

MarkEdwards
06-20-2011, 04:41
And just for the record, yes there is indeed some PBR in the fridge right now!! But unfortunately, my trust fund of 0.0 dollars doesn't allow for Silverlake or Williamsburg living. And plus I'm going bald!! So I guess no hipster for me...

Well, you could always go for that 'bald with a pony tail' hipster look. :grin:

sailor22
06-24-2011, 11:01
Because of this thread I bought a four pack of tall PBR's. I don't think I have ever tried one. It's been a three pack for awhile now.:rolleyes: