PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

tip
06-03-2011, 13:04
Howdy from East Texas. Pretty new to bourbon from years of drinking Canadian Whisky. I guess I'll have to learn to put an 'e' in whisk(e)y from now on. :)

gburger
06-03-2011, 15:45
Where in East Texas?

Tennessee Dave
06-03-2011, 16:00
Welcome to SB. Enjoy yourself here.:grin:

tip
06-03-2011, 17:13
Where in East Texas?

Based out of Conroe.

Parkersback
06-03-2011, 19:47
Greetings, Tip! Welcome aboard.

wadewood
06-03-2011, 20:55
how does Conroe equate to East Texas????

jcg9779
06-04-2011, 06:09

Haha I was going to ask the same thing!

Anyway, welcome Tip!

tip
06-04-2011, 07:58

It's East of the middle. :)

What do you call it? I grew up on the Gulf Coast, visiting the family homestead in Livingston (Carlisle if you know the area) which we always called East Texas.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, regardless of geographical discrepancies. ;)

Ian S.
06-05-2011, 15:33
Welcome, Tip. I hope you enjoy your stay.

wadewood
06-05-2011, 19:22
These days, Conroe is a suburb of Houston, so Gulf Coast...IMHO.

Welcome! Several members here are from Houston area.

gburger
06-05-2011, 20:28
I grew up in East Texas, a small town called Winnsboro about an hour from Tyler. I have to agree Conroe is not East Texas, but welcome again.

gblick
06-05-2011, 22:04
Greetings from another Houstonian here..

:toast:

tip
06-06-2011, 06:49
I grew up in East Texas, a small town called Winnsboro about an hour from Tyler. I have to agree Conroe is not East Texas, but welcome again.

I live in Conroe, work in Huntsville and play music between 45 and 59 from Humble to as far north as Lufkin so far. I suppose just about everything is a suburb of Houston these days.

Just doesn't feel right claiming the Gulf Coast when I can't smell the salt air and I'm surrounded by beautiful East Texas pine trees.

Thanks again for the many warm welcomes fellas.

gburger
06-06-2011, 13:34
Stay north of Houston, it is very pretty there. I went to school in Huntsville.

wadewood
06-06-2011, 14:26
I looked on the official Conroe's Convention and Vistor's Center website and they say "PLAN YOUR TRIP TO CONROE, TEXAS, a beautiful collision of nature, history, the arts and recreation all nestled in the Piney Woods of East Texas, just 40 minutes north of the heart of Houston."

http://www.conroecvb.net/index.cfm

From Wikipedia - Conroe is a suburban city 40 miles north of Houston in the gulf coastal plains/piney woods region of southeast Texas.

Moving on to bourbon. What do you like so far? If you make in to Houston, I would suggest checking out Poison Girl Bar on Westheimer - great selection of bourbon. Occasionally, a few of us meet there for a drink.

tip
06-07-2011, 10:04
Stay north of Houston, it is very pretty there. I went to school in Huntsville.

Grade school or College? I graduated from SHSU in 2002.

Moving on to bourbon. What do you like so far? If you make in to Houston, I would suggest checking out Poison Girl Bar on Westheimer - great selection of bourbon. Occasionally, a few of us meet there for a drink.

I'm not sure I know enough to know what I like yet, but I can identify the things that I don't like. Mostly anything I drank in college, most of which came from the well. So far I would say I'm preferring wheated bourbons.

timd
06-08-2011, 15:42
Welcome to another fellow Texan! I'm in Dallas, and aside from a 15 year hiatus up north in Michigan I've lived in Austin, Houston, College Station and now back in North Dallas.

Calling Conroe "east texas" isn't much of a stretch, technically anywhere East of I45 with pine trees that's not on the coast is "East Texas."

Hell - I've seen about two dozen small towns west & north of Dallas calling themselves "Hill Country!" Conroe's got more piney woods than salt-water, afterall!

Hope you like where you live - some nice water/lakes there, pretty trees and lots to do without going all the way to Houston - but, when you do - hit Specs (downtown) - great store for finding cool stuff.

Neat
06-08-2011, 17:02
welcome from another houstonian! sounds like you just began your bourbon journey. there is a wealth of collective wisdom here and very informed helpful people. i've learned quite a bit.

gburger
06-09-2011, 18:39
Sam Houston State 1981