PDA

View Full Version : What to drink when it's HOT!

mrviognier
06-07-2011, 11:01
It's reaching up to 100 degrees here...hot and humid. Wondering what is your 'go-to' Bourbon when it's H-O-T?

Brisko
06-07-2011, 11:21
When it gets this hot (and brother, it's hot!) I like to drink corn whiskey or, likely as not, tequila or mezcal.

Otherwise something high enough proof yet "cheap" enough that I don't mind icing it down. OWA 107 or Fighting Cock works great. Something else I like to do is a take on the traditional "mist:" bourbon with ice, shaken within an inch of its life, until there are ice particles floating in it, garnish with cherry or lemon-- but I strain it. Always refreshing.

For mixers it might be a rye and ginger ale.

OscarV
06-07-2011, 13:37
I'm drinking WT 81 on the rocks in a tall collins glass, it is 93 degrees here and it seems to work.

Gillman
06-07-2011, 14:23
I too like a well-iced bourbon, mist if possible with straw but lots of rocks, allowed to melt a bit, works too. Or, an American Pale Ale or Black IPA served well-chilled. If a bourbon, only one requirement: it not be too old.

Gary

jburlowski
06-07-2011, 14:30
I go with the lower proof bourbons; on the rocks. Bh (I know, horrors to many here) seems to work well because the high rye content stands up to the ice well. Gotta try the new WT 81...

jcg9779
06-07-2011, 14:39
Definitely something on the rocks. Or, if I'm mixing, I'll do a bourbon/rye with ginger, and occasionally a bourbon/rye with coke.

For non-bourbon drinks, a gin or vodka and tonic always hits the spot, as does the James Bond martini.

And of course, there's beer.

birdman1099
06-07-2011, 15:07
for me, higher proof, higher aged bourbon or rye on the rocks....

cas
06-07-2011, 15:31
I am contemplating this as well. It is hot in MI today and I have some steaks to grill in a short while. So I'll be obliged for a pour while the grill is going. I generally prefer my bourbon neat, but ice is ok sometimes. But our well water is lousy (and softened) so the melting ice isn't too special in the drink. Maybe some ginger ale with lemon and lime would go well with the bourbon.
Craig

ethangsmith
06-07-2011, 15:42
My hot weather whiskey:

Heaven Hill 80pf bourbon
Old Overholt
Pikesville
Basil Haydn's
Jacquin's Rock and Rye on the rocks

jmpyle
06-07-2011, 15:59
I second Ethan's Basil Hayden recommendation. It's actually one of those whiskeys that sweetens up slightly when you add the ice to it. A bit of good spring water, a few cubes or a large ice ball and you're off and running. More refreshing than lemonade. :lol:

Bernheim is another nice one. High West's Double Rye! has treated me well too. I enjoy them all on ice in the hot months of the year.

BMartin42
06-07-2011, 16:07
I do any of the following with an ice cube or two:

Weller SR
Basil Hayden (yes Virginia, there is a use for BH)
FR yellow
Russel's Reserve
MM 46

From my experience, they all lose a little something as far as taste on ice, but are nice and refreshing.

mrviognier
06-07-2011, 17:34
It's gone from 102* to a cozy 99* here, and still they cancelled my son's baseball game. So, I've switched from Gatorade to a 'mist' of WT Rye.

Aaaaaaah.

MarkEdwards
06-07-2011, 18:15
For me, it's the same as usual - whatever bourbon I happen to be drinking, neat and unchilled.

mrviognier
06-07-2011, 18:28
"Neat and uncoiled", and you live in Arlington?!? Juneau I could understand, but Arlington??

As for me, I'm on to a perfectly chilled Baby Saz.

ebo
06-07-2011, 19:18
For me, it's the same as usual - whatever bourbon I happen to be drinking, neat and unchilled.
I'm with you. If I want cold, I'll drink beer. :lol:

craigthom
06-07-2011, 19:28
Really hot, humid weather makes me crave gin and tonic. For medicinal reasons, of course; who wants malaria?

T Comp
06-07-2011, 19:34
6 year HH BIB from my son's very frosty bottle that is nestled in the garage freezer.

BFerguson
06-07-2011, 19:50
Really hot, humid weather makes me crave gin and tonic. For medicinal reasons, of course; who wants malaria?

I'll second that.

In the not so distant SE direction from Mat it is now a cool 87. Stiff breeze helps but that is also the source of the problem.

B

theDon
06-07-2011, 19:51
Weller 107 from Louisville neat. Nothing better to beat the Texas heat?

G.H.Adams
06-07-2011, 20:29
In Southeast New Mexico today it hit 100 degrees. In these temps I like Four Roses Yellow in a tall glass with ice and a splash of ginger or Coke. Today though I tried the Old Fitz BIB with the above recipe. Liked it very much.

mosugoji64
06-07-2011, 20:36
I have a bottle of EW green label that is disappointing neat, but tastes just like a rickhouse smells on ice. Brings back memories of the distillery tours!
I haven't tried bourbon and ginger ale, but will change that very soon :grin:

tmckenzie
06-08-2011, 03:10
Mellow corn with lots of water and ice. Cannot beat it.

MarkEdwards
06-08-2011, 03:29
"Neat and unchilled", and you live in Arlington?!? Juneau I could understand, but Arlington??

As for me, I'm on to a perfectly chilled Baby Saz.

To me, bourbon just doesn't taste right, cold. I even drink some ales at room temperature because some of the flavors really come out then. okay, maybe I AM weird - grin).

Reminds me of Snapple root beer. It was okay cold, but the closer it came to room temperature, the better i tasted. Which may be why they took it off the market - phooey!

For hot days, ice-water or iced cola, but I don't chill my booze.

MarkEdwards
06-08-2011, 03:32

Also, Texas is the heart of rattlesnake country, so we should all follow W.C. Fields' advice and carry a flask in case of snakebite. Plus a small snake. :lol:

ratcheer
06-08-2011, 04:00
I enjoy WT Rare Breed on a lot of ice cubes in an on-the-rocks glass. In the warm evenings, not during the hot summer daytime.

BTW, it has been 97 or hotter here every day for the past couple of weeks. I just love Alabama weather (not). It was chilly for a few weeks after the big April storms, then we had a few days of nice, spring weather, then BAM!, it was summer.

Tim

mrviognier
06-08-2011, 04:16
It's going on two years since I moved to MN from CA. When my friends back west ask me. "what's the weather like out there?" I always tell them that it's like living with a psychotic girlfriend...you never quite know what you're going to wake up to. :grin:

Gillman
06-08-2011, 04:18
One thing I'll say about ice is, it tends to magnify faults in whiskey. The dilution and chill do this. If you have a whiskey which is, say, a little moldy-tasting, or cork-tainted, it will show up faster on the rocks or in a mist.

I think the best bourbon to drink with ice should be on the younger side, or mid-aged at most, but some people like aged whiskey cold too. Tastes differ.

Gary

mrviognier
06-08-2011, 04:37
Interesting...as the exact opposite is true of wine. It's common practice in the trade that if you have a wine with obvious flaws you want to hide, chill it down.

mosugoji64
06-08-2011, 07:51
Interesting...as the exact opposite is true of wine. It's common practice in the trade that if you have a wine with obvious flaws you want to hide, chill it down.

Isn't the same true of beer? Numbing the tastebuds hides flaws and allows for enjoyment of something that would otherwise be weak and off. Hence, ice-cold Bud. :grin:

Parkersback
06-08-2011, 08:40
One thing I'll say about ice is, it tends to magnify faults in whiskey. The dilution and chill do this. If you have a whiskey which is, say, a little moldy-tasting, or cork-tainted, it will show up faster on the rocks or in a mist.

I think the best bourbon to drink with ice should be on the younger side, or mid-aged at most, but some people like aged whiskey cold too. Tastes differ.

Gary

There are a few whiskeys that I don't mind on the rocks now and again, and in the right context--EWB, Jack, WT101--but along the lines of what Gary is saying here, I think that's why once I add ice, I am inclined to also add sweet vermouth and bitters (Manhattan), sugar and bitters (Old Fashioned) or ginger ale.

Brisko
06-08-2011, 09:21
you all are going to laugh at me, but last night I mixed some silver tequila with fresca, over ice. Hit the spot, considering it was still 88 at 10:00 last night.

It's much nicer today, so I should get back into the bourbon no problem.:cool:

gblick
06-08-2011, 11:08
Even when it's hot, I still prefer my bourbon neat.
Only if I'm overheated (like after doing yardwork) I'll cool of with an Old Fashioned, but otherwise it's neat.

kc outdoorsman
06-08-2011, 11:13
its always on the rocks for me - no matter the temp... hell I even have a bottle of green evan in my frig in the barn !

jcg9779
06-08-2011, 11:32
Another summer drink that I enjoy, but forgot to mention in my original post, is to take a highball glass and add about an ounce or so of bourbon, and then fill the glass with ice and water. You get a taste of the bourbon, but the ice and water make it very refreshing. It's a great summer afternoon drink, and it can sneak up on you if you aren't careful!

BFerguson
06-08-2011, 15:35
If it was good enough for Booker, I see nothing wrong it it.

Sometimes neat, sometime on the rocks, and sometimes with a mixer. There is no shame in having it any of these ways. Sometimes one just fits the moment better than another.

Personally, it was a rocks day yesterday for me........Putting the cold glass up to my forehead after a deep draw in of the aroma, sure felt mighty fine.

B

Once Booker started talking in his rural Kentucky drawl about his whiskeys and how to make bourbon, or smoking hams, or fishing, or the spiritual importance of consuming lots of thick-sliced smoked ham on homemade biscuits only an earthquake could stop him or, for that matter, compel the audience to vacate. The audiences were enthralled and amused by this massive, unassuming man who’d casually answer questions, saying things like, “Do I add water ta Booker’s? At a hunnert twenty-six percent alcohol, you kiddin’? Don’t an’ it’ll blow tha top o’ your head right off. Hell, I pour some Booker’s in a tall ol’ glass ‘bout one-third an’ fill the rest with branch water and some ice. Call it Kentucky Tea. Clears the lungs, soothes the stomach…and lights a fire in your mind. All those things in jus’ one glass. Yes sir, Kentucky Tea. Mighty good for what ails ya.”

Another summer drink that I enjoy, but forgot to mention in my original post, is to take a highball glass and add about an ounce or so of bourbon, and then fill the glass with ice and water. You get a taste of the bourbon, but the ice and water make it very refreshing. It's a great summer afternoon drink, and it can sneak up on you if you aren't careful!

G.H.Adams
06-08-2011, 20:44
As my air conditioner crapped out last night and the temp today hit 101 I have had several Old Fitz BIB with ice and a splash of ginger. Hope the repairman comes tomorrow.

cowdery
06-09-2011, 16:07
This is an interesting challenge, in terms of keeping it bourbon.

Really hot weather is about the only thing that will get me to drink bourbon on the rocks. In terms of brands or styles, I'll tend to reach for something familiar, a taste I know pretty well. There's a good chance it will be a wheater.

jburlowski
06-09-2011, 17:27
Chuck:
Being crotchety and all that, don't you chafe in this heat? :hot:

dmarkle
06-09-2011, 17:53
This is an interesting challenge, in terms of keeping it bourbon.

Really hot weather is about the only thing that will get me to drink bourbon on the rocks. In terms of brands or styles, I'll tend to reach for something familiar, a taste I know pretty well. There's a good chance it will be a wheater.

I just about never drink whisk[e]y on the rocks. Except for the other day... A couple of friends and I were meeting up at a rooftop bar in the city, and I ordered some 12 yo Balvenie (they had nothing remotely interesting for bourbons in this bar), and it was served to me *hot*. I mean, it must have been over 100 degrees. Hot day, hot whisky. Hard to imagine something so good being made so disagreeable which isn't a woman. Luckily, a couple of cubes of ice cured this terrible issue.

mrviognier
06-09-2011, 18:54
Well, there's 'neat' and then there's 'heat'. IMHO, most bars keep (and serve) their spirits a bit too warm for me. I'd much prefer they keep & store their liquors like they (should) their red wines...at cellar temperature.

moose
06-09-2011, 18:56
I spent a few summers working outside, 12 hour shifts; so it got HOT. Luckily it was all at golf courses, which had bars, on a scorching hot day, nothing seemed to hit the spot for me quite like some Beam and Sprite/7UP, heavy on the bourbon. I'll admit, it was pretty damn refreshing, the citrus brought out some decent flavors in the bourbon, that I hadn't picked up before. It was easy to get carried away with those though, so they usually had to wait until after 5 or so, once things started to slow down.

When I am at home, I'll partake in that same drink, or just grab a beer, a nice hoppy IPA seems to do well for my taste-buds when its hot.

Ian S.
06-09-2011, 21:35
You can always do what good 'old Jimmy Russell does and put a bottle of WTRB in the freezer for a chilled non watered down pour.

I continue to drink my bourbon neat even in these 100+ degree and humid Texas summer days.

jcg9779
06-09-2011, 21:49
You can always do what good 'old Jimmy Russell does and put a bottle of WTRB in the freezer for a chilled non watered down pour.

I continue to drink my bourbon neat even in these 100+ degree and humid Texas summer days.

I've never kept my bourbon in the freezer - the only liquor that has historically been in my freezer is vodka...I may have to give bourbon a try. I will say, that at night I'll continue to drink my bourbon neat...it's usually during the heat of the day that I'll go with the more "refreshing" drink.

Ian S.
06-09-2011, 21:53
I've never kept my bourbon in the freezer - the only liquor that has historically been in my freezer is vodka...I may have to give bourbon a try. I will say, that at night I'll continue to drink my bourbon neat...it's usually during the heat of the day that I'll go with the more "refreshing" drink.

I guess since I only pour at night, neat bourbon has never been an issue in the heat.

Supposedly the WTRB in the freezer trick is pretty good(according to some of my KY friends). I have yet to try it.

MarkEdwards
06-10-2011, 03:44

There are some who say that putting bourbon in the freezer alters the taste. I don't know, since I don't do it.

However, many years ago, I used to keep a bottle of Glenlivet in the freezer, and it was pretty good after a long day working in an un-air-conditioned warehouse...

ratcheer
06-10-2011, 05:40

That is Chuck's "Kentucky iced tea", which has been mentioned here many times over the years. I like it, but usually don't think about having it.

Tim

Ps - Oops. I see BFerguson beat me to it.

sanzoluk
06-10-2011, 08:55
I've become a big fan of whiskey (and sometimes rum) fizzes since I got my carbonator. Get some extra fizzy water; mix bourbon and a little bit of of simple syrup (just water boiled with some sugar) over ice, strain into a glass, fill up with the soda water, add a little more sugar to give it some extra fizz, and drink quickly. Sometimes I throw an egg yolk into the mix and it works really well. A great after-work (or hangover recovery) drink.

smokinjoe
06-10-2011, 10:55
I like a very cool/cold bourbon on occasion, when it's hot. I'll usually have a bottle in the beer fridge for just such times. A nice lower temp, without the ice dilution. Old Forester Signature is a bourbon that comes to mind when thinking about a bourbon that handles it's temp being lowered.

mrviognier
06-10-2011, 12:28
There are some who say that putting bourbon in the freezer alters the taste. I don't know, since I don't do it.

I don't think it alters the taste so much as it alters your perception of the taste. Your taste buds don't pick up the complexity of the Bourbon because they've become 'deadened' by the cold temperature of it. It's why most people don't mind putting a bottle of vodka in the freezer...because, after all, good vodka is supposed to taste like nothing.

I'll have to try putting a bottle of low-proof in the frig and see how I like it. Of course, I'll have to wait for another hot day. Early in the week it was over a 100...now it's below 60. Stupid MN weather.

T Comp
06-10-2011, 12:42
I like a very cool/cold bourbon on occasion, when it's hot. I'll usually have a bottle in the beer fridge for just such times. A nice lower temp, without the ice dilution. Old Forester Signature is a bourbon that comes to mind when thinking about a bourbon that handles it's temp being lowered.

On occasion me too. I find the higher proof and rye finished bourbons take better to bottle chilling as there is still enough flavor to survive the taste deadening from the chill. I posted up thread that HH BIB is also a good one and of course Signature would be too. Another method that gets a pour cold enough quickly is about 2 ounces in a smaller and thin glass snifter, then set in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes at most.

MarkEdwards
06-10-2011, 18:21
Stopped by my favorite store to see the Van Winkle section of the display case looking like a crime scene. All gone and decrepit-looking.

But I did find a bottle of Evan Williams eggnog, which I shall chill and help stave off the heat.

cowdery
06-10-2011, 18:28
Chuck:
Being crotchety and all that, don't you chafe in this heat? :hot:

Johnson & Johnson makes a special bourbon-scented baby powder for me.

gburger
06-10-2011, 19:57
Funny chuck..............