PDA

View Full Version : Longview, TX unlurking....

Young Blacksmith
06-10-2011, 15:45
Hi guys,

Been lurking for a while, gleaning knowledge for my Bourbon journey.

East Texas is a funny place, lots of dry counties with a few wet pockets thrown in for good measure. When I hit a store I tend to stock up a bit....

Favorites are Woodford Reserve and Bulleit, WT101 and Knob Creek are pretty good too. I guess it all depends on my budget at the time I buy.

Old dusties are an interesting concept. I've had one old dusty rum, from an estate sale, 60's era Trader Vic's. Lots of coconut and tropical flavors!

I also smoke a pipe a few times a week, and enjoy my family time.

From reading, it looks like I should pick up a bottle of OWA107 (I think I got that right...) to try a wheated bourbon.

Yall have a good evening!

gburger
06-10-2011, 19:52
I lived in Tyler in the late 70's, welcome to the group.
Maker's 46 is also not a bad wheated bourbon.

Parkersback
06-10-2011, 20:28
Greetings from NYC!

Since you're in TX, yes, give a try to both OWA107 and Weller 12. And maybe vat them!

Welcome!

theDon
06-10-2011, 20:29
I techniquely live in East Texas and there are some pocket dusty towns your way. I know for a fact you have access to a damn good selection the industry has to offer. Last time I was out your way there was some OWA from the early '90's available. Welcome aboard!

Young Blacksmith
06-11-2011, 12:17
I tried Maker's 46, but it was a while ago. It's a foggy memory!

I could see those pockets being a little dusty, someone gets some stock in, but nobody buys it and it sits there.

Course then I drove from Lufkin to Tyler the other day, 2 hours and no liquor stores anywhere on the route. Luckily I don't do that very often!

Forgot to say earlier, I do a bit of blacksmithing too, hence the handle.

Thanks!

theDon
06-11-2011, 20:10
I tried Maker's 46, but it was a while ago. It's a foggy memory!

I could see those pockets being a little dusty, someone gets some stock in, but nobody buys it and it sits there.

Course then I drove from Lufkin to Tyler the other day, 2 hours and no liquor stores anywhere on the route. Luckily I don't do that very often!

Forgot to say earlier, I do a bit of blacksmithing too, hence the handle.

Thanks!

I was thinking Big Sandy north of Tyler. Recently became wet in the past few years, so no dusties, but capitalizing on the sparseness of liquor stores in the area. They had large stores with upper and lower shelf offerings. Of course no Pappy. Pappy is not a household word round these parts!

StraightNoChaser
10-31-2011, 11:57
I techniquely live in East Texas and there are some pocket dusty towns your way. I know for a fact you have access to a damn good selection the industry has to offer. Last time I was out your way there was some OWA from the early '90's available. Welcome aboard!
Damn, I need a line on that OWA stat! :grin: