PDA

View Full Version : New from Long Island, NY

Schneiderman
06-11-2011, 20:10
Hi, I'm a young guy fairly new to whiskey. I've been drinking jack daniels for a while, just because it seemed like the standard. Now I've been trying different things and trying to learn more about whiskey and develop my taste. I've been hanging around the bottom shelf stuff but I'm looking to move into the mid grade pretty soon.

Some of the things I've tried so far:

Jack Daniels: I've been drinking it for a while and the more I drink it, the more I get tired of it.

Old Crow: nasty when neat, but I love it with coke...

Maker's Mark: I didn't like it. It's been a while since I had it last, so I'll have to try it again to remember why. Someone gave me about half a bottle last year, and there's still over a quarter left.

Maker's Mark 46: This I liked, a lot. Had a couple shots of this at an event I was working at. But even though I did like it, I had a feeling it was overpriced even before I came here and saw others saying the same thing.

Evan Williams (black label): I found this a bit strange at first (probably because I'm very new at this) but it quickly grew on me. Finished a bottle fairly quickly, one of my favorites so far.

Wild Turkey: I found it a little bland, but still satisfying.

Heaven Hill: Only had one shot of this so far, found it fairly tasty but maybe a little too smokey.

I might be missing one or two. The thing is, I haven't taken the time to sit down and compare any of these side by side, or even really try to figure out how to figure out tasting notes. So I'm here to see if I can learn how to appreciate the nuances of particular whiskeys. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

My company recently presented me with a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 year old as a graduation present. I haven't tried it yet, I'm hoping I can prepare myself a little better so I understand what I'm experiencing when I drink it.

Parkersback
06-12-2011, 04:30
Greetings from another New Yorker, Schneiderman! Welcome aboard.

White Dog
06-12-2011, 18:45
Hi, I'm a young guy fairly new to whiskey. I've been drinking jack daniels for a while, just because it seemed like the standard. Now I've been trying different things and trying to learn more about whiskey and develop my taste. I've been hanging around the bottom shelf stuff but I'm looking to move into the mid grade pretty soon.

Some of the things I've tried so far:

Jack Daniels: I've been drinking it for a while and the more I drink it, the more I get tired of it.

Old Crow: nasty when neat, but I love it with coke...

Maker's Mark: I didn't like it. It's been a while since I had it last, so I'll have to try it again to remember why. Someone gave me about half a bottle last year, and there's still over a quarter left.

Maker's Mark 46: This I liked, a lot. Had a couple shots of this at an event I was working at. But even though I did like it, I had a feeling it was overpriced even before I came here and saw others saying the same thing.

Evan Williams (black label): I found this a bit strange at first (probably because I'm very new at this) but it quickly grew on me. Finished a bottle fairly quickly, one of my favorites so far.

Wild Turkey: I found it a little bland, but still satisfying.

Heaven Hill: Only had one shot of this so far, found it fairly tasty but maybe a little too smokey.

I might be missing one or two. The thing is, I haven't taken the time to sit down and compare any of these side by side, or even really try to figure out how to figure out tasting notes. So I'm here to see if I can learn how to appreciate the nuances of particular whiskeys. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

My company recently presented me with a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 year old as a graduation present. I haven't tried it yet, I'm hoping I can prepare myself a little better so I understand what I'm experiencing when I drink it.

Welcome. The Evan Williams, Heaven Hill, and Elijah Craig are all made by Heaven Hill, using the same mashbill, but aged for different lengths, cut to different proofs, and blended/bottled for different flavor profiles. Buy an Elijah 12yr, and try before and during your experience with Elijah 18, just to fill out more of the narrative. Enjoy!:cool:

Tennessee Dave
06-13-2011, 05:51
Welcome to SB. Enjoy yourself here.

Tennessee Dave
06-13-2011, 05:52
Welcome to SB. Enjoy yourself.

Ian S.
06-19-2011, 22:13
Welcome to SB. Enjoy yourself.:grin:

jcg9779
06-20-2011, 09:11
Welcome Schneiderman. I'd suggest looking for a Weller Special Reserve (90 proof) or Old Weller Antique (107 proof). Both are good examples of a wheated bourbon, and are easy on the wallet as you figure out what you like.

sailor22
06-24-2011, 10:04
Welcome - enjoy your Bourbon journey. Sounds like your on the right track, just have fun.

mosugoji64
06-24-2011, 11:20
Nice to have you! It sounds like you're off to a great start and doing nicely at figuring out the profiles that appeal to you. Since you're leaning toward the HH offerings, you might give FR single barrel or small batch a try. Like HH, they use a rye mashbill, but at a noticeably higher level. I second the recommendations for Weller bottlings as wheater representatives, and follow that with a nod toward ORVW. I can't get enough of that!

gburger
06-25-2011, 15:10
Welcome, Sounds like you are well on your way.