PDA

View Full Version : What Beer are you drinking summer 2011

HipFlask
06-25-2011, 11:19
Summer is finally here. So it is time to tip some beer to celebrate the season. I have been tipping back some Moose head Lager in remembrance of Canada fishing trips at this time of year. I also a true gem from Leinenkugel's - Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout at 9.5% alc/vol. Another very enjoyable pour is Double Dragonfly Imperial IPA. Another heavy at 9.1% from Upland Brewing out of Bloomington IN. So please share what you are drinking to stave off the summer heat.

HP12
06-25-2011, 13:19
Bell's Two Hearted Ale does a nice job quenching the summer heat. After several taste tests of each, I've found I prefer the bottled version over draft.

cigarnv
06-25-2011, 14:01
Beautiful day here.. doing some client work on the laptop while I enjoy a Clipper City Uber Pils.... a pils with stuffing that hits the spot....

smokinjoe
06-25-2011, 14:14
Just got back into town from a vacation to Northern California and Hawaii. After a little nappy from our redeye, I'm enjoying a 22oz bottle of SweetWater's Waterkeeper Hefeweizen Ale. I love this style of beer (Weihenstephaner being my fave), and this is a fine representative. Nice clove and spices, and a little lemony. Very well done beer.

cigarnv
06-26-2011, 13:21
Today is a Full Nelson IPA from the Blue Mountain Brewery in Afton, Va. 5.9% abv and 60 IBU's. The beer is a beautiful copper color with a light head. The bitterness tastes well beyond 60 IBU's given the lack of any offsetting flavors. Lacking in balance... pretty much a one dimensional IPA with little deapth of flavor. Pass on this one....

craigthom
06-26-2011, 17:49
I hate it when that happens.

cigarnv
06-27-2011, 06:34
I hate it when that happens.

Especially when you have 5 left.....

StraightBoston
06-27-2011, 09:52
Been working my way through the Sam Adams Latitude 48 box set, hop by hop. Intrigued by the Simcoe™; not a fan of the Zeus (sounds similar to Reid's experience with the Full Nelson.)

HP12
06-27-2011, 10:33
Slowly enjoyed an Oscar Blues 'Gubna", an I-IPA. Smooth, full body with 10.0% ABV and an IBU of 100. Much better as the brew warmed in my pint glass.

cigarnv
06-27-2011, 13:30
Slowly enjoyed an Oscar Blues 'Gubna", an I-IPA. Smooth, full body with 10.0% ABV and an IBU of 100. Much better as the brew warmed in my pint glass.

Enjoyed a Gubna last evening....I drink it at about 55-60F. Great balance and a great mouth feel to this brew.

HP12
06-27-2011, 13:58
Enjoyed a Gubna last evening....I drink it at about 55-60F. Great balance and a great mouth feel to this brew.

Like most if not all Oscar Blues beers, pour it into a glass and serve it to an unsuspecting beer enthusiast and they'd never guess it came out of a can.

cigarnv
06-27-2011, 15:07
Like most if not all Oscar Blues beers, pour it into a glass and serve it to an unsuspecting beer enthusiast and they'd never guess it came out of a can.

The can does throw them a bit..LOL!!

barturtle
06-27-2011, 15:23

I picked some up when I went down to Columbia, TN. Great stuff.

HP12
06-27-2011, 15:53
Yesterday's Gubna prompted a pour of Oscar Blues 'Gordon Imperial Red'. I like it better than the Gubna. As it says on the can "can o' bliss, satisfy ya" and the other mssg on the can well describes this beer..."Big, Red, Sticky".

cigarnv
06-27-2011, 16:21
Yesterday's Gubna prompted a pour of Oscar Blues 'Gordon Imperial Red'. I like it better than the Gubna. As it says on the can "can o' bliss, satisfy ya" and the other mssg on the can well describes this beer..."Big, Red, Sticky".

Steve, it must be a Va. thing.... going down the same path with the Imperial Red. Mine is called G'Knight as I gather Gordon Biersch took exception to the use of the name Gordon so they changed it.

Very different from the Gubna... less sweet but damn good...

HP12
06-27-2011, 17:08
Steve, it must be a Va. thing.... going down the same path with the Imperial Red. Mine is called G'Knight as I gather Gordon Biersch took exception to the use of the name Gordon so they changed it.

I've seen the 'G'Knight' but only recently picked up the 'Gordon' which has the same can design. My Gordon is dated 11/19/10.
I was not aware of the controversy of the name. Thanks for a little history lesson!

Nice pics Reid. Don't forget about the unique messages on the bottom of each can. Unfortunately the mssg on bottom of the Gordon can was smudged. The other good thing is they date the product when canned. Nice!

Tried the Ten Fidy yet? Another winner from OB!

T Comp
06-29-2011, 20:11
I finally poured out my first bottle of Stingo. I concur with the praise this one gets and Reid's description is spot on. A superlative drinking experience by far.

For fathers day I enjoyed a Sammy Smith Yorkshire Stingo which is a bottle conditioned ale aged in oak ale casks for over 12 months.

The color of the ale was a dark orange tinged amber... beautiful. The nose is malt, oak, fall pumpkin pie spice and caramel apple. A hint of mustiness appeared on the nose which I found appealing but may turn others off a bit.

The flavor was to my palate incredible... fruit cake, dark fruit, oak, chocolate, malt, caramel, spice and sherry notes all come through. Very rich, perfectly balanced and one of the most complex ales I have had. Not overly sweet with layers of flavors coming through with each sip. A great example of a brewer who seeks balance over brute force.

Well worth seeking out if you can find it...

Bourbon Boiler
06-29-2011, 22:04
I've been enjoying the Avery's IPA the last couple of weeks. My father uncovered about a dozen of them in his beer fridge, and wasn't sure how long they'd been in there or who left them. I've given them a good home.

SBOmarc
06-29-2011, 22:51
Visiting Phoenix Az and went to Yardhouse in Glendale with some people that had never been before. Among the 4 of us we managed to dent the IPA selections before during and after dinner. Dogfish 90, Stone and Stone AB, Mirror Pond. I stopped and tasted a former fav of mine, Anchor Steam and it was a major letdown.

There are other YH locations here id the Phoenix area and they want to try them all.

The liver is evil, and must be punished!

moose
06-30-2011, 14:25
Myrcenary Double IPA, from Odells. Quite a good IPA, but wouldn't mind seeing the IBU's a bit higher.

cds
07-01-2011, 13:43
New Belgium Ranger's mainly, but have also ventured into trying some cheap AAL's like Genesee Cream Ale and Schlitz Original version. Neither are bad beers for the money.

sutton
07-01-2011, 14:12
Dogfish Head Festina Peche - leans tart/sour, not sweet at all.

craigthom
07-01-2011, 18:36
After sampling a half dozen beers at the Springhurst Liquor Barn I brought home a small growler of Double Trouble. I'm so predictable.

DeanSheen
07-01-2011, 19:10
Chatoue Rouge - First Growth Creek Ale

I had a sample of this once before and thought it was not bad. This bottle I rate a pass. The cherries are barely there and no tartness. It's flat and has this vinegary well water nose.

unclebunk
07-01-2011, 19:14
North Coast Brewing Co.'s PranQster, a Belgian-style golden ale with a beautiful fruity aroma and delicate hop bite. Very nice on a warm evening.

Barrel_Proof
07-01-2011, 20:17
Fully loaded, here. Dove into the "chilled" bunker for a Gubna, an Oskar Blues brew Leif introduced to me when we were enjoying Wade's hospitality in Houston.

Lost Pollito
07-01-2011, 21:57
Alpha King, and Gumball head tonight. I love hop's.:grin:

wine65
07-01-2011, 22:15
Christmas ales - Breckenridge and Bells X-mas in July!!!

moose
07-02-2011, 12:03

I've seen the 'G'Knight' but only recently picked up the 'Gordon' which has the same can design. My Gordon is dated 11/19/10.
I was not aware of the controversy of the name. Thanks for a little history lesson!

Nice pics Reid. Don't forget about the unique messages on the bottom of each can. Unfortunately the mssg on bottom of the Gordon can was smudged. The other good thing is they date the product when canned. Nice!

Tried the Ten Fidy yet? Another winner from OB!

I've been enjoying the Avery's IPA the last couple of weeks. My father uncovered about a dozen of them in his beer fridge, and wasn't sure how long they'd been in there or who left them. I've given them a good home.

Glad to hear you all are enjoying some of the Colorado beers, man I love living here for that reason. Just thought I would pass along one of the articles on the Gordon-G'Knight change, http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_17100956?source=most_viewed. Also, if you don't know the story behind the name, its well worth looking into, makes the beer even more special. I reach for the G'Knight from time to time, but I find its one that I can't enjoy more than one of, its a little sweet for me, and the grapefruit, piney funk I get sometimes puts me off. Not a bad beer at all though, the Gubna is great as well, and I enjoy the Mama's Little Yella Pils now that its getting so hot out.

Drink up :grin:

unclebunk
07-02-2011, 12:37
New Belgium Ranger's mainly, but have also ventured into trying some cheap AAL's like Genesee Cream Ale and Schlitz Original version. Neither are bad beers for the money.

Can't go wrong with a Genny Cream Ale on a hot summer day! That's one of my favorite "lay in the hammock, listening to baseball on the radio" beers.

Bourbon Boiler
07-03-2011, 16:28
I enjoyed the American PA from theRight Brain Brewery in Traverse City, MI. I did not enjoy the Northern Hawk Owl Amber.

smokinjoe
07-03-2011, 20:31
A couple of Little Kings Cream Ales, tonight. Firstly, I gotta carbo-load for the Peachtree Road Race, tomorrow. Secondly, I'm hoping to channel my previous fitness level from 30 years ago, when I used to drink these regularly in college. I mean, there are 60,000 people running this thing, and I have to at least finish ahead of Troyce! :D

Lost Pollito
07-03-2011, 21:58
Shark Pants, and Alpha King. A 3 Floyds night. Lovely.:cool:

cigarnv
07-04-2011, 07:44
Was hot and humid so Rolling Rock it was..... nothing great but a quick thirst quencher

T Comp
07-04-2011, 08:33
After being on a hop high for the last few weeks I came back down with an Anchor Steam. It was delightful and kept the palate clean for some Rose with dinner and S-W after.

cigarnv
07-04-2011, 16:05
Given it is the 4th I thought I would pull out a special brew... Firestone Walker Abacus.
This beer looks like motor oil in the glass with virtually no head.. I assume due to an ABV of 13%!!! It is very unique and has a Pedro Jimenez sherry quality to it. Very raisiny... dried dark fruits. It is complex as flavors of coconut, chocolate, vanilla, coffee and citrus all drift in and out. Very little carbonation here. This is a very sweet beer that I find a bit unusual. It is a bit thin in mouth feel even though it is high alcohol??
To me it is unbalanced with far too much sweetness with little to balance it. I am a FW fan but this IMO is lacking.

Gillman
07-04-2011, 17:55
Old Chubb courtesy my buddy Cliff. Excellent, rich Scots-style ale.

Gary

stevegoz
07-05-2011, 16:04
Soooo happy to get some fresh New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat in me this weekend while up in Wisconsin. Also the NG IIPA and Smoked Rye, as well as Bell's Cerise and Tyranena Rocky's Revenge, a brown ale that is partly finished in bourbon barrels.

jcg9779
07-06-2011, 18:18
Drinking a Bell's Two Hearted Ale while eating salmon this evening. The salmon has some spice to it, and the Bell's actually cuts it nicely.

Bourbon Boiler
07-06-2011, 20:41
It's been the Leinie's Summer Shandy the last two nights. Not anything special, but a great outdoor beer on vacation.

Tennessee Dave
07-07-2011, 08:25
Old reliable Sam Adams lager this week

stevegoz
07-07-2011, 14:29
It's been the Leinie's Summer Shandy the last two nights. Not anything special, but a great outdoor beer on vacation.

With "real lemonade flavor" and everything??? :bs: :lol:

HP12
07-07-2011, 15:00
Picked up some Stone Russian Imperial Stout but not opening one today. Kicking back in this 90 degree weather with the "champagne of beers". Miller High Life is great for a serious round of thirst quenching.

cigarnv
07-07-2011, 15:02
Oskar Blues Gubna.... always a great brew

HP12
07-07-2011, 15:25
Oskar Blues Gubna.... always a great brew

We like those, don't we?! Got any Mama's Little Yella Pils? More yum from OB!

OscarV
07-07-2011, 15:39
Not drinking any beer here latey.
Beer has become so, so, so ,...oh well.
Yep, oh well.
What's up with beer drinkers?
They seem to be on a fantasy trip.

HP12
07-07-2011, 16:11
What's up with beer drinkers?
They seem to be on a fantasy trip.

And whisk(e)y drinkers aren't?!

cigarnv
07-07-2011, 16:41
We like those, don't we?! Got any Mama's Little Yella Pils? More yum from OB!

Wish I had a Mama's as it would be great on a warm night like tonight with a nice cigar.....

craigthom
07-07-2011, 17:45
Schlafly American IPA. I was pleasantly surprised. Based on the other beers of theirs I've sampled, I expected it to be a bit light. The flavor and balance were fine.

I got it on tap at Whole Foods, where they sell beer by the glass as well as the growler. At first going up and down the isles, pushing my cart with one hand and holding my beer with the other, seemed ideal, but I ended up just buying bulk sesame sticks and mixed nuts. You can take the beer out of the bar, apparently, but not the bar out of the boy.

It was $5, which was a little pricey, but I got to keep the glass. A price sticker was put on the bottom, so they just rang up the empty when I checked out.

I wish Kroger did this. Maybe.

jcg9779
07-07-2011, 22:22
Wish I had a Mama's as it would be great on a warm night like tonight with a nice cigar.....

I've only seen Mama's once, but didn't pick it up....I may have to go back and see if it's still in stock.

I had a couple of Kirin Lights tonight...not bad, but regular Kirin is a lot better.

OscarV
07-08-2011, 02:49
And whisk(e)y drinkers aren't?!

You are correct Sir, thanx 4 pointing that out.:grin:

Gillman
07-08-2011, 16:00
The Gubna, iced. It rocks.

Gary

P.S. Thanks again Cliff.

Bourbon Boiler
07-08-2011, 20:31
I enjoyed a draft Crooked Tree IPA from the Dark Horse Brewery this evening over dinner. An excellent IPA over a spicy meal.

nor02lei
07-09-2011, 03:46
I did have a couple of Torpedo IPA before outdoors grilling yesterday. We get in most American beer as temporary releases and this is the best middle strong IPA we have in the year around assortment in our government store. It tasted splendid in the very hot summer whether we got here. It is perfect vacation whether.

Leif

unclebunk
07-10-2011, 14:00
I did have a couple of Torpedo IPA before outdoors grilling yesterday. We get in most American beer as temporary releases and this is the best middle strong IPA we have in the year around assortment in our government store. It tasted splendid in the very hot summer whether we got here. It is perfect vacation whether.

Leif

Sounds great, Leif. I had my first Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA's last night too and thoroughly enjoyed it. As big as they've gotten, Sierra Nevada is still cranking out great beer with no dip in quality that I can see. I sure wish they did a sampler twelve pack so I wouldn't have to drop $10 a six pack to taste their other seasonal/special edition products.

sutton
07-10-2011, 15:35
Started with a Dogfish Festina Peche, moved on to Kingfisher before getting serious and just going for the bourbon.

jcg9779
07-10-2011, 15:57
Some Mama's Little Yella Pils last night and today. Not too bad.

craigthom
07-10-2011, 17:01
Sounds great, Leif. I had my first Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA's last night too and thoroughly enjoyed it. As big as they've gotten, Sierra Nevada is still cranking out great beer with no dip in quality that I can see. I sure wish they did a sampler twelve pack so I wouldn't have to drop $10 a six pack to taste their other seasonal/special edition products.

Find a place that sells them by the bottle. I'm pretty sure Whole Foods does, in nothing less expensive.

The problem with doing a collection of seasonal beers is that they are seasonal and aren't brewed at the same time. Any collection would have some beers at least nine months old.

The special edition beers are, for the most part, sold singly in large bottles. I'm pretty sure Big Foot is the only one that isn't.

They did sell a collection of their Beer Camp brews recently.

They could do a variety pack of their regular beers. That would be handy.

unclebunk
07-10-2011, 19:15
Find a place that sells them by the bottle. I'm pretty sure Whole Foods does, in nothing less expensive.

The problem with doing a collection of seasonal beers is that they are seasonal and aren't brewed at the same time. Any collection would have some beers at least nine months old.

The special edition beers are, for the most part, sold singly in large bottles. I'm pretty sure Big Foot is the only one that isn't.

They did sell a collection of their Beer Camp brews recently.

They could do a variety pack of their regular beers. That would be handy.

A variety pack of their regular beers is definitely in order. But I was thinking along the lines of a pair of seasonals in late spring/early summer (Glissade Golden Bock and Summerfest) coupled with their Pale Ale, Torpedo and Kellerweis. Then in the late fall they could do Tumbler Brown Ale and Celebration Ale paired with their Porter and Stout. Sam Adams does something like this and it works out great.

Parkersback
07-10-2011, 20:17
Dale's Pale Ale. Good stuff, and I'm beginning to really favor beer from cans, as they seem to keep beer fresher.

I was back home in Michigan a week or so back and over a few days, opened about 4-5 bottles of my one of my favorites, Bell's Oberon. The dates on them were all fine., but about half of them were "off" or even skunked. It was a pretty big bummer, I really look forward to Oberon in the summertime.

unclebunk
07-11-2011, 05:24
Bell's Two Hearted and Arrogant Bastard Ale. Hops galore in both and plenty of great flavors to accompany a big, fat New York strip steak I grilled up last evening.

craigthom
07-11-2011, 15:27
Sierra Nevada Summerfest. I'm not really a pilsner guy, but it's darned hot, and I wanted something light and relatively low in alcohol so I can drink a few of them, and I didn't want to wait for a mass market American beer to get cold enough to drink (nearly frozen).

This one works. I don't know if I'll make it a regular, but it's hitting the spot right now.

jcg9779
07-13-2011, 22:36
Too much Miller Lite at a work happy hour. At least it was free and there was NTN Trivia!

stevegoz
07-13-2011, 22:56
I had a Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry Ale tonight with dinner. Quite possibly the most well balanced cherry beer I've ever had. Not as wanting for cherry as the Founder's Cerise, not fake like Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat, and not as overwhelmingly cherry-sweet as the New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red....

cigarnv
07-14-2011, 05:44
Went out with a few folks for an Indian food feast.... beers we sampled with dinner...

Victory Headwaters Pale Ale (PA)
Aecht Schlenkeria Urbock. The best smoked beer I’ve had. (German)
Hot Rod Rye (CA) - really liked this one
Kingfisher (Indian)
Haubrauhaus Munchen (German)
Haywards 5000 (Indian). Our favorite Indian beer.
Godfather. Its Indian!!!
Flying Horse Royal Lager (Indian)
Taj-Mahal (Indian)

jcg9779
07-14-2011, 08:07
I had a Samuel Smith's Organic Cherry Ale tonight with dinner. Quite possibly the most well balanced cherry beer I've ever had. Not as wanting for cherry as the Founder's Cerise, not fake like Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat, and not as overwhelmingly cherry-sweet as the New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red....

Very interesting - I've stayed away from this one because I haven't enjoyed the other cherry beers that I've had in the past. I might have to give it a try and see what I think.

AaronWF
07-18-2011, 14:22
I've been on a can kick - so much easier to deal with an empty can than an empty beer bottle, and no suffering of the taste. In the battle of IPAs Anderson Valley beat out Avery. Both were very refreshing, but AV had more body and more complexity.

Also had some Ska Mexican Logger. A little on the sweet side for me, but went very well with a Peruvian meal. If you ever find yourself in Chicago, I heartily recommend Ay Ay Picante. BYOB!

craigthom
07-18-2011, 14:58
Schlafly Bavarian Weissbier. It's nothing special, but it is true to style, with notes of clove and subtle banana. It's light and refreshing and under 5% ABV, which is perfect for this weather.

smokinjoe
07-18-2011, 15:29
Tackling some end of the day paperwork with a Founder's Centennial IPA.

Tennessee Dave
07-18-2011, 15:55
Some Yazoo Hops Project. Not a bad beer at all. Hoppy for sure. Not as good as Bell's Big 2 Hearted for sure

sutton
07-18-2011, 17:18
Philadelphia Pale Ale and Victory Prima Pils ... w/ some RR10/90 and WT101...

Special Reserve
07-18-2011, 18:05
A couple of Bell's beer that take ageing well. Sparkling Ale and Batch 9000. Batch 9000 had really improved with ageing. Sparkling Ale is one of my all time favorite beers. I wish I had more.

Neither would be considered a warm weather beer but what the hell. Someone has to enjoy them, it may as well be me.

W

mosugoji64
07-18-2011, 21:54
Enjoyed a Full Sail bourbon-barrel-aged stout this evening. It was extra dark, thick, and delicious! Definitely not a, "pound as many as you can over the course of an evening" brew, but a gorgeous sipping beer!

smokinjoe
07-19-2011, 21:45
A Green Flash Brewing West Coast IPA at my hotel bar. These IPA's all do seem to run together.

jcg9779
07-25-2011, 23:17
A Green Flash Brewing West Coast IPA at my hotel bar. These IPA's all do seem to run together.

I had a regular Sam Adams this evening and it tasted pretty damn good to me. I hadn't had one of these in over a year - I need to pick up a six pack every now and then!

ILLfarmboy
07-27-2011, 19:11
Had a couple pints of Guinness with supper last night.

Guinness is really growing on me. I have found some of the brewpub versions of a stout to be pleasingly heavier than Guinness but after about a pint they seen a little too sweet, not dry enough, and I want to stop at one pint....or sometimes less.

What micro or macro dry Irish stout is heavier than Guinness but just as dry? Am I asking too much?

Gillman
07-27-2011, 19:40
I'd try Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith, an import which is fairly commonly available. It is on the dry side but somewhat richer and more tasty than Guinness. The same outfit makes an Oatmeal Stout which also is fairly dry and light-bodied (relatively). It's true that most craft porters and stouts tend to be fairly rich-tasting. It gets complicated (the history), but porter, the low gravity version of stout, was not a sweet beer in the 1800's. It was fermented fairly high (well-attenuated) to ensure a dry palate. Taddy Porter is one of the few porters I know that actually tastes the way 1800's accounts described - Guinness too, but Guinness can be too bland for many palates today.

A good domestic choice in the style you requested is Yuengling Porter, made by an old-established small brewery in Pennsylvania. It increasingly has good distribution in many States.

Gary

ILLfarmboy
07-27-2011, 20:28
Thanks Gary. That's just the kind of information I was seeking.

AaronWF
07-27-2011, 22:42
What micro or macro dry Irish stout is heavier than Guinness but just as dry? Am I asking too much?

I'm finding Firestone Walker's Walker's Reserve Porter to be very pleasing. I'm a fan of Guinness from a can, but it's hard to compare it to the Firestone Porter. The Porter is just the right amount of creamy with a complex body not overly sweet. I'd say it's dry, but in a florally kind of way.

BradleyC
07-30-2011, 18:29
Picked up some de Struisse Pannepot and Firestone Walker Parabola today. I'm going to hold off on the FW for a little while. I did however get into the pannepot. I haven't had any in a good while. I forgot how excellent this beer is. I might pick up a few more to hide from myself for a while.

craigthom
07-31-2011, 09:39
Thanks Gary. That's just the kind of information I was seeking.

The Taddy Porter is made by Samuel Smith.

It was one of the original offerings of Merchant du Vin, a Seattle company that introduced a wide range of imported and domestic beers across the country.

They've got a lot of competition on the shelf now, but in the early '80s having those beers widely available was a godsend.

SBOmarc
07-31-2011, 10:45
Was out last evening and was drink Sam Adams summer on tap. When the keg kicked it was replaced with Sam Octoberfest.

After getting over the fact that summer was now over, I gladly finished the night with a few under my belt.

It turns out that there were more kegs of the Summer Ale that went missed. I was surprised that the Octoberfest was already released. Yes...I checked. It was not a hangover keg from last year.

MarkEdwards
07-31-2011, 11:18
Right now I'm enjoying a bottle of Stone smoke porter, which has a very nice smoky flavor to it. great accompaniment to a ground bacon/Monterrey Jack/sirloin burger.

unclebunk
08-01-2011, 07:24
All this discussion about porter has me thinking of a few other classic American porters--Anchor Steam, Founders and Bell's. I really love these three and would highly recommend checking them out, though Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith is still the benchmark in my book.

macdeffe
08-01-2011, 08:15
Den Blege Indianer, Ølfabrikken Pilsner, Ølfabrikken Pale Ale, Raasted Buur, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Crouch Vale Sterling, St. Austell Proper Job, Bitter & Twisted and Deuchar's all in all a bunch of summery ales with hops and not too high ABV

Steffen

sutton
08-01-2011, 13:28
All this discussion about porter has me thinking of a few other classic American porters--Anchor Steam, Founders and Bell's.

The Founder's Porter is one of my favorites - finished cutting the lawn earlier and downed a Kingfisher - the bottle was 2/3rds gone before I came up for air ... yes, I know, in my younger days it would have been all gone, but, some things do not remain the same...

jcg9779
08-05-2011, 18:59
All this discussion about porter has me thinking of a few other classic American porters--Anchor Steam, Founders and Bell's. I really love these three and would highly recommend checking them out, though Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith is still the benchmark in my book.

The Founder's Porter is one of my favorites - finished cutting the lawn earlier and downed a Kingfisher - the bottle was 2/3rds gone before I came up for air ... yes, I know, in my younger days it would have been all gone, but, some things do not remain the same...

I've never had the Founder's Porter, but I like all the other Founder's stuff that I've had (and I was drinking a Founder's Dirty Bastard tonight). I'll have to give it a try.

I do love the Taddy Porter as well - it's a great beer.

miller542
08-05-2011, 20:37
I was surprised that the Octoberfest was already released. Yes...I checked. It was not a hangover keg from last year.

Seems like it comes out earlier every year. It'll be stale by the time the weather around here is appropriate to drink it. And the winter lager comes out about halloween. seems like they should push their entire seasonal schedule back about a month.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat this summer. I haven't been a big fan in the past, but something changed this year and I'm loving it.

smokinjoe
08-05-2011, 21:46
Seems like it comes out earlier every year. It'll be stale by the time the weather around here is appropriate to drink it. And the winter lager comes out about halloween. seems like they should push their entire seasonal schedule back about a month.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat this summer. I haven't been a big fan in the past, but something changed this year and I'm loving it.

So true. I'm almost hesitant to make our monthly trip to Costco, tomorrow. I remember picking up last years SAO at Costco in August. Doesn't seem right when it's 95, outside. Regardless, it remains my favorite Sam Adams seasonal, and fave O'fest release.

As far as what I enjoyed today...A couple of cans of Dale's Pale Ale. :yum:

unclebunk
08-06-2011, 07:21
Still on a Scottish ale kick: Sam Adams SA, Loch Down SA (from Arcadia Brewing Co. in Michigan) and Founder's Dirty Bastard. Tonight we'll be enjoying a four-pack of high octane Skull Splitter all the way from Orkney. I feel a Highland Park 12 coming on!:grin:

bigtoys
08-07-2011, 22:00
Moose Drool Brown Ale
Shock Top Belgian White
Lost Coast's Tangerine
Sierra Nevada's Tumbler

just picked up a pack of Newcastle Werewolf, 'cuz I like Newcastle Brown so much.

jcg9779
08-12-2011, 20:11
Enjoyed a Bell's Two Hearted Ale after work today.

nor02lei
08-14-2011, 02:01
Me and Yvonne had K´night and Hercules DIPA on an outdoors bar in Stockholm yesterday. Both were very good, but I actually liked Hercules slightly better yesterday. The former is just a new label for Gordon’s IPA, as I have been told, but I don’t think it is as good as it was on its peak period. I think I will look for Grubna instead when the opportunity comes for some Oscar Blues beer.

Leif

Gillman
08-14-2011, 05:09
Hockley Black & Tan, an in-house blending of two beers by a well-regarded micro here, a dark ale and a stout. The result is on the dry side with a slight smoky taste.

Some info on them:

http://hockleybeer.ca/thebeer.html

Gary

jcg9779
08-15-2011, 22:16
Left Hand Milk Stout....good stuff!

jcg9779
08-20-2011, 09:37
A couple of standard beers over the past couple of days, but they were tasting pretty good. Fat Tire and Sam Adams Light after some time on the beach.

MarkEdwards
08-20-2011, 19:03
I've kind of been stuck on Guinness lately. In fact, with the extreme heat around here today, I was feeling the urge for something cold, and some pub food. So went into the cozy little dump across from the post office today, ordered Guinness and... a chef salad :skep:? Gah, must be getting old or sedate or something. But I did discover that Guinness goes nicely with a chef salad.

jcg9779
08-22-2011, 12:37
I finally found a bottle of Samuel Smith Yorkshire Stingo. I'm looking forward to trying this one!

Gillman
08-22-2011, 15:51
That Sam Smith Stingo is a genuine 1800's-style English old ale, long-aged in wood. I'd be interested in a report.

Gary

Vosgar
08-22-2011, 20:45
A bottle of Hop Head Red after mowing the yard tonight. The little hint of citrus in this one really hit the spot.

Gary

marna
08-23-2011, 08:59
I finally found a bottle of Samuel Smith Yorkshire Stingo. I'm looking forward to trying this one!

Me, too! Cost an arm and a leg!

jcg9779
08-23-2011, 19:44
Me, too! Cost an arm and a leg!

Haha I know...$11.99 here for a bottle of beer seems excessive. I'm drinking it right now though, and it is fantastic. Very well balanced, great flavor, with malty, light caramel, citrus, and apple flavors coming through to me. A very rich beer.

gothbat
08-25-2011, 09:28
Recently my brother gave me some of a growler of watermelon ale that he got from the Thomas Hooker brewery and it was quite good despite sounding awful. Sadly they don't sell this anywhere by me but I found something similar called Hell or High Watermelon from 21st Amendment brewery, which is almost as good. Been kind of taking a break from bourbon and rye, for the past few months it's just been beer and tequila.

smokinjoe
08-25-2011, 18:05
I'm sorry, but I couldn't wait any longer. Pulled the trigger on a case of Sam Adams Octoberfest from Costco, and am a couple into it. They really do a spectacular job with this Seasonal.

ratcheer
08-25-2011, 19:56
This afternoon was a scorcher, surpassing 100 F. I had a nice, cold Sol. Not a great beer, but certainly a great thirst quencher.

Tim

marna
08-26-2011, 07:58
I'm sorry, but I couldn't wait any longer. Pulled the trigger on a case of Sam Adams Octoberfest from Costco, and am a couple into it. They really do a spectacular job with this Seasonal.

Thanks, Joe. I have been waiting for this report. I'm a fan, too, and look forward to tasting it.
Marna

jcg9779
08-26-2011, 15:14

I think it's a good seasonal beer too, but I have to wait until football season officially begins to start drinking this (and no, preseason doesn't count!). :lol:

smokinjoe
08-26-2011, 15:18
I think it's a good seasonal beer too, but I have to wait until football season officially begins to start drinking this (and no, preseason doesn't count!). :lol:

I just couldn't help it, Jack. Like I've said before, my daughter's sheltie has more self-control than I do! :D

MarkEdwards
08-26-2011, 18:23
Broke my Guinness fixation tonight. Well, partly, I still came away with two of the imported bottles instead of the 12 oz bottles. Also found some Westmalle tripel, Samuel Smith Taddy porter and some Saint Arnold at the local Majestic.

jcg9779
08-26-2011, 19:36
Broke my Guinness fixation tonight. Well, partly, I still came away with two of the imported bottles instead of the 12 oz bottles. Also found some Westmalle tripel, Samuel Smith Taddy porter and some Saint Arnold at the local Majestic.

Haven't tried the other two, but the Taddy Porter is great.

unclebunk
08-26-2011, 21:19

I've been eyeing the SA Octoberfest too, Joe. I love the stuff but plan to hold out another few weeks until autumnal evenings in September arrive and force me to pick up a twelve pack. Enjoy!

moose
08-26-2011, 23:56
Mama's Little Yella Pils, courtesy of Oskar Blues. Yet another great beer from them, enjoyed it before and certainly am now.

jcg9779
08-28-2011, 08:24
Mama's Little Yella Pils and Dale's Pale Ale while sitting at the pool and then a Modelo Especial with dinner.

jcg9779
08-28-2011, 18:37
More Mama' Little Yella Pils at the pool (to take a break from the EW BIB that I was sipping on) and now drinking another Dale's Pale Ale while watching the Ranger's game.

DeanSheen
08-28-2011, 20:29
My friend stopped over with some coffee beans we ordered from him. He roasts and sells small amounts for fun and is starting to get a small following locally.

He brought with him the newest Stone Collaboration - Cherry Chocolate Stout. I did not read the label beyond looking at the brewers and I poured us two glasses in some LaChouffe glasses. (I'm not sure what that shape is called).

Anyways, I picked up the cherry and the chocolate right away. The cherry had that nice unsweetened lambic kind of cherry taste but the tartness and acidity were tempered nicely by the stout and chocolate.

Run, don't walk. I'm going hunting this week. This is stash worthy. The best new beer I have had in ages.

unclebunk
08-29-2011, 12:13
Ommegang Abbey Ale and loads of Leffe Blonde. The Ommegang really is terrific.

T Comp
08-29-2011, 19:50
Mama's Little Yella Pils, courtesy of Oskar Blues. Yet another great beer from them, enjoyed it before and certainly am now.

Mama's Little Yella Pils and Dale's Pale Ale while sitting at the pool and ... .

More Mama' Little Yella Pils at the pool (to take a break from the EW BIB that I was sipping on) and now drinking another Dale's Pale Ale while watching the Ranger's game.

I've got only one can left of each that I brought back from Colorado and they don't sell it in Illinois :rolleyes:. Oh well, back to the Founders or Three Floyds or Bells or ... :grin:.

smokinjoe
08-29-2011, 20:05
I've got only one can left of each that I brought back from Colorado and they don't sell it in Illinois :rolleyes:. Oh well, back to the Founders or Three Floyds or Bells or ... :grin:.

How will you ever survive?!?! ;)

unclebunk
08-30-2011, 07:12
Why can't I find Oskar Blues products here in Chicago? What is wrong with this world?:grin: Now that we're getting some beautiful cool autumnal evenings, I'm reaching for the maltier beers and hit Sam Adams Wee Heavy last night (with a glass of Aran Single Malt, of course). Fans of Sam Adams Scotch Ale need to seek this one out.

jcg9779
08-30-2011, 22:40
Enjoyed a couple of Left Hand Milk Stouts after my team won the first softball game of the fall season.

Whiskey Willie
09-01-2011, 14:07
A cold Sam Adams always hits the spot. . .

unclebunk
09-02-2011, 08:36
Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale last night. Perhaps a tad less flavorful than I had expected but nice just the same.

callmeox
09-02-2011, 17:06
Thanks to DeanSheen I tracked down a case of red label Full Sail Session lager this evening and I am enjoying one after dinner.

jcg9779
09-02-2011, 20:33

Had two glasses of Sam Adams Octoberfest tonight with dinner in preparation of the game between TCU and my Baylor Bears.

smokinjoe
09-02-2011, 20:53
Had two glasses of Sam Adams Octoberfest tonight with dinner in preparation of the game between TCU and my Baylor Bears.

Brother, at least you made it until September............I.....am........weak......... ..

Just counted....4 left...:rolleyes:

moose
09-03-2011, 20:50
Had some Sam's Octoberfest tonight as well, on to my own American Pale Ale homebrew now though :D

jcg9779
09-03-2011, 22:14
Had a couple of ice cold Miller Lites while sitting out on the boat today...this beer always tastes better when out on the water.

callmeox
09-03-2011, 22:29
Full Sail Session lager is the beer of the weekend while I tend to the pork shoulders on the smoker with college football in between.

MarkEdwards
09-04-2011, 04:42
My sister in law has started trying various beers (ales, actually) to see what she likes, and I have been giving her bottles of the ones I like. Took some to her last night, and she said she finally found a Thai beer that she likes, that she had (GASP!) poured out the Guiness I gave her because she didn't like it and that I didn't need to give her any more beer.

So very sad - I had to keep the bottles I took her last night, and will be forced, FORCED, I say, to drink them myself :cool:.

I get to keep the four pack Costco Duvel special, a bottle of Samuel Adams Oktoberfest, a bottle of Shiner, and a bottle of Saint Arnold's brown. Oh the humanity!

unclebunk
09-04-2011, 08:30
Brooklyn Lager--nice and malty!

Gillman
09-07-2011, 16:25
Recently I bought cans of Ballantine XXX, an old-line ale that was popular before the craft beer era and still sells a lot. It's very good, with a marked hoppy note (Cascade I think) and a good fresh malty taste. It tastes like a craft pale ale except a touch toned down. Excellent beer and not expensive.

Gary

moose
09-07-2011, 18:35
Kokanee Glacier Beer, not bad for a Canadian Adjunct, very refreshing, but no real complexity to pick up on.

stevegoz
09-07-2011, 21:08
Sam Adams Octoberfest over dinner tonight. Better than I expected; gonna have to grab a case on the next Costco run. Can't wait to taste against Two Brothers Atom Smasher, SN Tumbler and Bell's Octoberfest.

smokinjoe
09-09-2011, 15:55
Relaxing after a big week at work with a couple of Sierra Nevada Tumblers. They're good, but no match for Sam Adams Octoberfest. I'd take the SA over this every time.

marna
09-09-2011, 21:34
Started with a shot of WTKS followed by New Belgium's Hoptober. It's definitely hoppy! I would prefer a little more citrus.

moose
09-10-2011, 00:42
Avery India Pale Ale, really hit the spot.

smokinjoe
09-10-2011, 20:32
It's the first fire in the outdoor fireplace tonight. Listening to LSU football on the radio, while enjoying a Bell's Octoberfest. It's nice, and as I said, enjoyable. But, nothing special. Is there an O'fest beer that can challenge Sam Adams??

ebo
09-11-2011, 08:02
Great Lakes Octoberfest and Old Nick Barleywine while listening to the highschool football game on the radio.

moose
09-11-2011, 09:05
It's the first fire in the outdoor fireplace tonight. Listening to LSU football on the radio, while enjoying a Bell's Octoberfest. It's nice, and as I said, enjoyable. But, nothing special. Is there an O'fest beer that can challenge Sam Adams??

If you can find it, the Hofbräu Octoberfest is right up there in my book.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4686/2011

AaronWF
09-11-2011, 13:22
Great Lakes' Edmund Fitzgerald while watching Da Bears' chilling bloodlust overwhelm the Falcons. :cool:

This EF may actually be the highlight of my recent Porter tastings. Richer than Anchor's, brighter than Founder's, fresher than SS Taddy. Another delicious Great Lakes offering!

unclebunk
09-11-2011, 15:11

I just bought one of those mini-barrels of Hofbrau Oktoberfest and it was terrific. Nice way to kick off the NFL season.

smokinjoe
09-11-2011, 15:42

Thanks, Moose. I'll definitely look for it.

Gillman
09-11-2011, 16:05
This is currently available as an imported draft at the Hofbrauhaus in Newport, KY, the KY franchise of this storied German beer hall and brewery. All the beers at Newport are made locally - onsite at the location - to the original spec, monitored I understand by the Munich operation direct online, but the HB Oktoberfest is actually imported. Sometime over the coming weekend I plan to go there and check the beers out.

Gary

jcg9779
09-11-2011, 16:17
Mama's Little Yella Pils tonight while watching some football.

BFerguson
09-12-2011, 19:29
A Capital Supper Club, and a Great Lakes Oktoberfest. Both really good, but for tonight, I'm giving to nod to the Supper Club.

B

jcg9779
09-12-2011, 21:30
Allagash White. It's been a long time since I've had this one, and it hit the spot tonight.

unclebunk
09-13-2011, 07:24
Cain's Bitter from Liverpool, England last night. New to these shores and worth seeking out. Also keep an eye out for their Mild Ale.

stevegoz
09-13-2011, 09:43
Relaxing after a big week at work with a couple of Sierra Nevada Tumblers. They're good, but no match for Sam Adams Octoberfest. I'd take the SA over this every time.

I found the Tumbler more to my liking when doing a side by side last night. Just so much delicious malt going on. Could be the ale v. lager thing, though.

I need to get north of the border to grab some New Glarus Fat Squirrel and Staghorn Octoberfest.

unclebunk
09-13-2011, 11:48
I found the Tumbler more to my liking when doing a side by side last night. Just so much delicious malt going on. Could be the ale v. lager thing, though.

I need to get north of the border to grab some New Glarus Fat Squirrel and Staghorn Octoberfest.

Really dig the Squirrel!

OscarV
09-13-2011, 13:35
I drank some Shock Top Pumkin Wheat today but it was in the service of the company I work for.
I grabbed the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy line at a bar on Eastern Michigan's campus and hooked up my Shock Top Pumkin and they thought it was great.
I didn't tell them that both sucked, just the Leinenkugels.
Hey, I got a family to feed.

jcg9779
09-13-2011, 14:13
I drank some Shock Top Pumkin Wheat today but it was in the service of the company I work for.
I grabbed the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy line at a bar on Eastern Michigan's campus and hooked up my Shock Top Pumkin and they thought it was great.
I didn't tell them that both sucked, just the Leinenkugels.
Hey, I got a family to feed.

I do like pumpkin beers when there is a chill in the air and I'm sitting outside a college football stadium listening to the crowd while tailgating. I go between the pumpkin and Octoberfest beers and all seems right with the world!

moose
09-13-2011, 15:11
I just bought one of those mini-barrels of Hofbrau Oktoberfest and it was terrific. Nice way to kick off the NFL season.

Love the mini-barrel's, got one in the fridge now, definitely made that Bronco's game last night a little more tolerable.

Thanks, Moose. I'll definitely look for it.

Afaik its just been shipped recently, so should be around (if not now in your area, then it will be shortly), best of luck.

This is currently available as an imported draft at the Hofbrauhaus in Newport, KY, the KY franchise of this storied German beer hall and brewery. All the beers at Newport are made locally - onsite at the location - to the original spec, monitored I understand by the Munich operation direct online, but the HB Oktoberfest is actually imported. Sometime over the coming weekend I plan to go there and check the beers out.

Gary

Thanks for the info, sounds like a pretty neat place. Did you end up getting over there?

I do like pumpkin beers when there is a chill in the air and I'm sitting outside a college football stadium listening to the crowd while tailgating. I go between the pumpkin and Octoberfest beers and all seems right with the world!

I like the idea of Pumpkin Beers, but after having a bad night after some Harvest Moon (Blue Moon's rendition), I am shy to try any more. We just got some Punk'n from Uinta and it has been received pretty well, so I may get a 6er of that and see if it gets me going again. Its not quite cool enough here, and I'm going to have to seek out a new cold weather beer to love since the geniuses at New Belgium dropped their only beer I liked, 2º Below.

jcg9779
09-13-2011, 15:32
I like the idea of Pumpkin Beers, but after having a bad night after some Harvest Moon (Blue Moon's rendition), I am shy to try any more. We just got some Punk'n from Uinta and it has been received pretty well, so I may get a 6er of that and see if it gets me going again. Its not quite cool enough here, and I'm going to have to seek out a new cold weather beer to love since the geniuses at New Belgium dropped their only beer I liked, 2º Below.

Like any flavored beer, there are some that are truly good, and others jump in simply to be a part of the trend. I've had Harvest Moon once and wasn't very impressed. I have not tried all of the pumpkin beers out there, and taste is subjective, but out of the ones that I've tried my favorites are Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale, Jack's Pumpkin Spice Ale, and Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale.

If anyone knows of others that are worth a try, please let me know!

marna
09-16-2011, 19:08
I'm really enjoying New Belgium's Hoptober. New Belgium makes Fat Tire Ale.

I also finally tried Lagunitas IPA and wonder why I waited. Nice ale.

MarkEdwards
09-17-2011, 14:21
Tried a Fat Tire Amber Ale that was decent and an Arrogant Bastard Oaked Ale that was outstanding.

moose
09-17-2011, 21:26
I've all but sworn off New Belgium, their product quality has suffered considerably in the past couple of years, particularly with Fat Tire. The fact that they are going with an operation in NY is also particularly odd for a "local brewery." It seems to me as though they have gotten too big for their own heads, its clear to me that they care more about the bottom line than they do about the quality of their product. Its a shame to see, they used to be a great brewery, but I'm beyond the end of my rope with them.

In other news, I am having a Hoppy Boy IPA from Twisted Pine Brewing Company here in Boulder.

MarkEdwards
09-18-2011, 09:38
I've all but sworn off New Belgium, their product quality has suffered considerably in the past couple of years, particularly with Fat Tire. The fact that they are going with an operation in NY is also particularly odd for a "local brewery." It seems to me as though they have gotten too big for their own heads, its clear to me that they care more about the bottom line than they do about the quality of their product. Its a shame to see, they used to be a great brewery, but I'm beyond the end of my rope with them.

Even the Costco special, 4-pack of Duvel is better. Still, the Fat Tire was drinkable.

stevegoz
09-18-2011, 22:11
Had some Boulevard Bob's '47 Oktoberfest (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/3321) and Abita Pecan Harvest Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3/35134) over the past two days. (The former on a recommendation from my KC people and the latter in hopes that drinking the Saints' milkshake would help the Bears today.)

Definitely recommend the Boulevard (total malt bomb), but the Abita wasn't anything special in terms of a brown ale. Pecan flavor was extremely light and may have been imagined more than it was actually tasted.

unclebunk
09-19-2011, 09:33
Two Brothers Atom Smasher, a Marzen/Oktoberfest-style beer that is aged in French oak foudres--nice and malty but didn't seem to notice much of the oak influence. Worth checking out!

unclebunk
09-19-2011, 09:37

In other news, I am having a Hoppy Boy IPA from Twisted Pine Brewing Company here in Boulder.

I don't know their products well enough to comment on any drop off in quality but I will say that I tried the Hoptober recently and really enjoyed it. Is it primarily the Fat Tire that has undergone negative changes or the entire line? I seem to recall that Mighty Arrow was quite nice this summer, but again I wouldn't have anything to compare it to.

stevegoz
09-19-2011, 09:57
Two Brothers Atom Smasher, a Marzen/Oktoberfest-style beer that is aged in French oak foudres--nice and malty but didn't seem to notice much of the oak influence. Worth checking out!

I loved this beer to death when they launched it last year. This year's has a slight sour note to it that I don't recall it having before. Not enough to ruin it for me, but I'm a bit down on it now.

smokinjoe
09-20-2011, 18:45
Besides all of the great things about going to Kentucky for KBF and having a Hootenanney with y'all Bad Americans :D, is the opportunity to pick up a mini- bunker of the Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. The irony in this is perfect, BTW. Wonderful, wonderful, beer. Enjoying one now with dinner. Most definitely in my Top 5.

jcg9779
09-20-2011, 20:15
Besides all of the great things about going to Kentucky for KBF and having a Hootenanney with y'all Bad Americans :D, is the opportunity to pick up a mini- bunker of the Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. The irony in this is perfect, BTW. Wonderful, wonderful, beer. Enjoying one now with dinner. Most definitely in my Top 5.

Am I correct to assume that this can't be found down here in our great state?

Gillman
09-20-2011, 20:24
Smuttynose Imperial Stout, part of its Big Beer series. An exemplary Imperial Stout, it reminds me of the legendary Courage Imperial Russian Stout, an English product which left the market in the early 1990's and had roots in the earliest days of London porter-brewing.

It's got a silky black malty taste with a good forward bitterness. The hops are English (not U.S.) in orientation, as is meet for the style.

The U.S. makes some of the best beers in the world today.

Gary

smokinjoe
09-20-2011, 20:25
Am I correct to assume that this can't be found down here in our great state?

Hey, Jack. I haven't seen any of the GLB beers here, in GA. Hopefully, they have plans to expand distribution here in the future.

callmeox
09-20-2011, 20:29
Hey, Jack. I haven't seen any of the GLB beers here, in GA. Hopefully, they have plans to expand distribution here in the future.

If only you knew a couple of nice chaps who work and/or live within a couple of miles of where GLB brews their beer...

What opportunities could such an arrangement bring?

jcg9779
09-21-2011, 12:46
If only you knew a couple of nice chaps who work and/or live within a couple of miles of where GLB brews their beer...

What opportunities could such an arrangement bring?

Hmmm...I'm sure something could be worked out!

AaronWF
09-21-2011, 13:03
Speaking of GLB, they have a current seasonal offering out now called Nosferatu Imperial Red Ale. I love a red ale that stays away from the sweet side of malt, and that's what this is. On first taste, it reminds me very much of a richer, stronger version of their Conway's Irish Ale. I could drink their Conway's Irish year-round (only available Jan-April), so I was thrilled to discover this Nosferatu.

I've also been enjoying Anchor Humming Ale. Its crisp, mellow citrus and subtlely bitter hops seem to me a bit out of character for a fall seasonal, but i don't care in the least; it's very tasty and immensely drinkable.

unclebunk
09-21-2011, 13:33
Enjoyed a fabulous bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout last night. Even better was the price: It usually sells for $10 a four pack and I found a stash for $4 a four pack and made off with two cases!:grin:

smokinjoe
09-21-2011, 15:04
Enjoyed a fabulous bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout last night. Even better was the price: It usually sells for $10 a four pack and I found a stash for $4 a four pack and made off with two cases!:grin:

You lucky dog, Hank! Great price. Our Gary Gillman introduced me to FSE last year, and it's one of my favorites. As the weather is cooling, I'm looking forward to getting back to drinking it. I'll pick some up this weekend!
:toast:

unclebunk
09-21-2011, 15:34
You lucky dog, Hank! Great price. Our Gary Gillman introduced me to FSE last year, and it's one of my favorites. As the weather is cooling, I'm looking forward to getting back to drinking it. I'll pick some up this weekend!
:toast:

The woman at the liquor store said something about an "overstock" situation, which is why they dropped the price so much. I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the stack of cases and the sign above it with the $3.99 price tag. I sort of regret not buying even more, but with money being as tight as it is for us these days I couldn't really spring for any more than the two cases I bought. Enjoy your Guinness FES and don't forget the Irish whiskey on the side!:grin:

moose
09-21-2011, 20:55
I don't know their products well enough to comment on any drop off in quality but I will say that I tried the Hoptober recently and really enjoyed it. Is it primarily the Fat Tire that has undergone negative changes or the entire line? I seem to recall that Mighty Arrow was quite nice this summer, but again I wouldn't have anything to compare it to.

The Hoptober isn't bad by any means. But its just been off putting to see beers go down and by the wayside (-2º below, Mighty Arrow, etc...). I'm sure New Belgium has a large following nationally. But locally, they have begun a downturn.

In one of my classes today, New Belgium's director of Media Relations, Bryan Simpson, came in for a presentation. Although he spoke highly of New Belgium's commitment to being green and environmentally conscious, what I left with was a bittersweet feeling. He mentioned that their 5 year plan consists of them becoming a national brand, with distribution in all 50 states, as well as adding another brewery to the eastern seaboard. Currently they produce 700,000 barrels annually, but he even hinted that that number is a low estimate. All he cared to talk about was the money they have spent on 'new, green technologies' that set them apart from other breweries. And while that may be appealing to some, its not to me.

He mentioned nothing about a passion for brewing, he seemed to not care at all about the quality of the products produced. I came out of his presentation with the conclusions that New Belgium only cares about: quantity produces, the bottom line, and the crazed growth.

Now looking at these factors in a pure business sense, there is nothing wrong on the surface. But from a consumer standpoint much has gone wrong. New Belgium has resorted to a basic core of beers, and doesn't seem to have the passion to create new beers, they don't seem to want to experiment anymore. I loved Bew Belgium when they had a new beer for every season, and when their staples were phenomenal beers. But now, across the board it really seems they are just totally set on the bottom line and are just churning out beers without questioning quality.

New Belgium is destined to be the next Boston Brewing Company (fwiw).

I'm still trying to piece together what was said today, I got no feeling of a passion for beer from the speaker, just a passion for the bottom line. Which in my eyes, is no way for a craft brewer to operate. I don't see Sam Calagione penny pinching to make a profit, I see a man passionate and crazy coming out with beers that people never thought were possible. New Belgium could use some crazy, some innovation, and some great new products. But if they want to go abroad, and be in 50 states, then that's their choice, and I am sure there will be no shortage of followers; I just don't think I'll be one of them.

smokinjoe
09-21-2011, 21:15
The Hoptober isn't bad by any means. But its just been off putting to see beers go down and by the wayside (-2º below, Mighty Arrow, etc...). I'm sure New Belgium has a large following nationally. But locally, they have begun a downturn.

In one of my classes today, New Belgium's director of Media Relations, Bryan Simpson, came in for a presentation. Although he spoke highly of New Belgium's commitment to being green and environmentally conscious, what I left with was a bittersweet feeling. He mentioned that their 5 year plan consists of them becoming a national brand, with distribution in all 50 states, as well as adding another brewery to the eastern seaboard. Currently they produce 700,000 barrels annually, but he even hinted that that number is a low estimate. All he cared to talk about was the money they have spent on 'new, green technologies' that set them apart from other breweries. And while that may be appealing to some, its not to me.

He mentioned nothing about a passion for brewing, he seemed to not care at all about the quality of the products produced. I came out of his presentation with the conclusions that New Belgium only cares about: quantity produces, the bottom line, and the crazed growth.

Now looking at these factors in a pure business sense, there is nothing wrong on the surface. But from a consumer standpoint much has gone wrong. New Belgium has resorted to a basic core of beers, and doesn't seem to have the passion to create new beers, they don't seem to want to experiment anymore. I loved Bew Belgium when they had a new beer for every season, and when their staples were phenomenal beers. But now, across the board it really seems they are just totally set on the bottom line and are just churning out beers without questioning quality.

New Belgium is destined to be the next Boston Brewing Company (fwiw).

I'm still trying to piece together what was said today, I got no feeling of a passion for beer from the speaker, just a passion for the bottom line. Which in my eyes, is no way for a craft brewer to operate. I don't see Sam Calagione penny pinching to make a profit, I see a man passionate and crazy coming out with beers that people never thought were possible. New Belgium could use some crazy, some innovation, and some great new products. But if they want to go abroad, and be in 50 states, then that's their choice, and I am sure there will be no shortage of followers; I just don't think I'll be one of them.

Very interesting, Moose. May I ask what type of class this was?

moose
09-22-2011, 08:42
Very interesting, Moose. May I ask what type of class this was?

Of course, it was Contemporary Issues in Business and Society, a senior level management class (only have a few credits left til graduation). Was pretty nice that he took time out to come and speak to us, definitely learned a bit.

ratcheer
09-22-2011, 12:17
Time to start a Fall thread.

Interesting link. I'm pretty sure I'll never get to try any of these.

http://www.slate.com/id/2304257/?from=rss

Tim

OscarV
09-22-2011, 13:27
Time to start a Fall thread.

Interesting link. I'm pretty sure I'll never get to try any of these.

http://www.slate.com/id/2304257/?from=rss

Tim

My sources tell me it's Friday September 23 @ 5:05am Eastern.;)