PDA

View Full Version : Taste of Corn and Bourbon

Gillman
07-23-2011, 06:37
The thread on bourbon values under $20 got me thinking that what distinguished the picks was they don't have a strong corn flavour. They might have a dash of it, but are not dominated by a corny taste. In some cases age alone takes care of it, e.g., in BT; in others it's just the way the whiskey is matured, mingled and selected.

In the 1800's, any bourbon 4-6 years old would have been regarded as fully aged, maybe even old. (VOB's name exists for a reason). At this age, you often get a little corn taste but sometimes almost none: Old Forester Signature is a good example of a fully matured bourbon yet which is not woody.

As I get on with bourbon, I find more and more I like the mid-age space. Four to eight years of barrel age seems generally right but always with exceptions. Like most I like a well-aged bourbon once in a while.

FC, an excellent value, leans a bit more to the corn than some others in those under $20 picks, or say EW Black or BIB, but I like a hint of corn in bourbon. If you take away all the corn and replace it with heavy sweet bourbon barrel flavors, I think something of the historical nature of the drink is taken away.

The trick is to get a full-tasting, soft, balanced bourbon at that age range. Many of the picks provide that and each bottle tends to be a little different at least in texture and mouthfeel (but often more). I like to vat to increase complexity and I mentioned a bourbon recently comprised of 4 and 6 year old bourbons with only a dash of EC 12 that was outstanding IMO.

Gary

Rughi
07-23-2011, 11:26
...If you take away all the corn and replace it with heavy sweet bourbon barrel flavors, I think something of the historical nature of the drink is taken away.

The trick is to get a full-tasting, soft, balanced bourbon at that age range...I like to vat to increase complexity and I mentioned a bourbon recently comprised of 4 and 6 year old bourbons with only a dash of EC 12 that was outstanding IMO.

I like the thoughtfulness of this post, and your 4-6-12 vatting reminds me of both Buffalo Trace and Rare Breed, which I seem to remember are both vattings of 6-8-12 year old barrels. I've always liked the youthful, bright notes of each of these, mixed with a present but not complexity-masking oak note.

IIRC (and I often don't), the original BT was in small dumps of something like 5 barrels each of 6yo and 12yo, with 9 barrels of 8yo.

Roger

Gillman
07-23-2011, 11:33
Roger, thanks. Rare Breed is still my favorite WT product. I didn't recall that about BT but it makes a lot of sense and I really liked the initial bottlings.

I look forward to trying the new WT 81 proof since it is older than the 80: the current 80 is very corny IMO and I can't drink it: I think they must have seen some change is needed.

Gary

jburlowski
07-23-2011, 13:05
Some people say they don't like Woodstone Creek straight bourbon (made by a micro-distillery in Cincinnati) because it doesn't have enough of that "bourbon taste". I suspect some of that reaction may come from the fact the Woodstone Creek uses only the minimum 51% corn in their mash.

Gillman
07-23-2011, 13:35
That may well be. Also, the other flavors in there, barley and rye, may need more time in the barrel given the pot still process used.

Gary

T Comp
07-23-2011, 14:00
As I get on with bourbon, I find more and more I like the mid-age space. Four to eight years of barrel age seems generally right but always with exceptions. Like most I like a well-aged bourbon once in a while.
Gary

Gary, I think you've been drinking with my taste-buds :grin: . As always, great introspection on the drink that brings us all here. I also now have the desire to finally go buy a bottle of FC, especially since I am already out of HH BIB till KBF time. It is actually at the store nearest my house but I always ignored it.

Gillman
07-23-2011, 14:35
Thad, thanks, and do try it, it's very good today, and the taste - even at the bottling proof - belies the fiercesome name.

Gary