PDA

View Full Version : Pappy fall allocation

Pages : [1] 2

StraightNoChaser
08-09-2011, 08:25
Bottling for the fall release has begun. Once everything is bottled, the allocations will be released. We will announce as shipments go out to each market.

Just posted on Facebook. Here we go again!

timd
08-15-2011, 16:59
I want 2 bottles of VWFRR

That is all. I can then be happy(ier).

I've already started making the calls to our local store buddies to put me on the list!

smokinjoe
08-15-2011, 17:16
I have put myself on the list of IHAGTTPONGAFF...

I now fell like Linus after questioning "if" the Great Pumpkin is coming... "I'm Dooooommmmmed " :)

stevegoz
09-21-2011, 09:55
As soon as we are finished bottling we will begin releasing the fall allocation. Approximately two to three weeks.

Posted five minutes ago on the ORVW Facebook page.

MacinJosh
09-21-2011, 11:41
Ok, educate me guys. Are these the Pappy 15s? Are they getting ready to release a round? If so, is this still SW juice?

Thanks!

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StraightNoChaser
09-21-2011, 12:05
Ok, educate me guys. Are these the Pappy 15s? Are they getting ready to release a round? If so, is this still SW juice?

Thanks!

Josh
There are a couple of marques that will come out. As far as we know, the 20 and 23 will definitely be SW juice. It's uncertain whether or not they've switched to using BT juice for the 15 yr yet. The rye and 10 yrs will not be SW at all.

bcrossan
09-21-2011, 16:54
There are a couple of marques that will come out. As far as we know, the 20 and 23 will definitely be SW juice. It's uncertain whether or not they've switched to using BT juice for the 15 yr yet. The rye and 10 yrs will not be SW at all.

Anyone know if they will switch the 15 to ORVW when it goes BT or will it be a mystery when they switch?

autiger23
09-22-2011, 19:40

It's been verified by Julian himself that this Fall allocation since it's still in the Pappy style bottle is original SW juice.

DrinkyBanjo
09-23-2011, 06:24
It's been verified by Julian himself that this Fall allocation since it's still in the Pappy style bottle is original SW juice.

When/where? I haven't seen anything where they came flatout and said it was SW juice or not.

callmeox
09-23-2011, 14:43
This gets funnier and funnier each release cycle.

DeanSheen
09-23-2011, 14:58
This gets funnier and funnier each release cycle.

Ohh there is gonna be some crazy stuff going down when Julian finally comes out and says 'No More SW for you!'.

"Channel 5 is now reporting that a man has taken hostages and is demanding a case of 'Old Rip Van Winkle Pappy 15'." I mean, that's just nuts!

humchan2k
09-23-2011, 15:00
But according to my buyer at K&L, Harlan from BT came to the LA store and did confirm that this release (apparently a small amount of spring release was too) will be a blend of SW and BT juice for the 15 year. The 20 and 23 should have 2 more years of juice left, but the 15 is going to be slowly reworked until there's no more SW left in it.

We'll see what they do from a branding perspective though.

fishnbowljoe
09-23-2011, 22:26
I try and post items in the Industry News forum. With all the speculation about the provenance of Pappy 15 earlier this year, I sent Julian a pm asking him about the Pappy 15. This was his reply. Cheers! Joe

Joe, if your question is, "Is the 15 year out now Stitzel-Weller whiskey"? Yes it is this year. Not sure about next year yet.

DeanSheen
09-24-2011, 10:10
I try and post items in the Industry News forum. With all the speculation about the provenance of Pappy 15 earlier this year, I sent Julian a pm asking him about the Pappy 15. This was his reply. Cheers! Joe

Joe, if your question is, "Is the 15 year out now Stitzel-Weller whiskey"? Yes it is this year. Not sure about next year yet.

Nice work Joe. Can we post that reply somewhere? If I had a nickle for every time this question is asked I could buy a bottle!

StraightNoChaser
09-24-2011, 13:31
I wonder if they are at all attempting to reproduce SW's recipe and production method at BT

SMOWK
09-24-2011, 20:32
If I had a nickle for every time this question is asked I could buy a bottle!

Possibly even on eBay.

politely
09-24-2011, 23:27
I enjoy the fuss. I like the challenge of obtaining some bottles. I don't like the back and forth on the provenance, though. That's just ridiculous. I blame the source for that - not sure why it should be a question.

White Dog
10-02-2011, 00:27
He's not sure? I guess he could be saving it for Pappy 20 and higher profit margins.

MarkEdwards
10-02-2011, 08:51
I was talking to a clerk at a local store, and he mentioned that last year's allocation of premium bourbons, including Pappy and GTS was hijacked, which I knew about, and that hijackers also got three trailer loads of Dr. Pepper.

I shudder to think these hijackers may be drinking Pappy and Dr. Pepper cocktails.

I hope this year's allocation makes it through...

DeanSheen
10-04-2011, 08:26
I was talking to a clerk at a local store, and he mentioned that last year's allocation of premium bourbons, including Pappy and GTS was hijacked, which I knew about, and that hijackers also got three trailer loads of Dr. Pepper.

I shudder to think these hijackers may be drinking Pappy and Dr. Pepper cocktails.

Really? It's come to this, hijacking high end bourbon deliveries?

Dr. Pepper was originally a Texas product I believe. Must still be pretty popular down there. The logistics of stealing a beverage truck, moving all the cans, and selling them for a profit are a little baffling to me unless you own vending machines or it's an insurance job.

jcg9779
10-04-2011, 08:54

Dr. Pepper was originally a Texas product I believe. Must still be pretty popular down there. The logistics of stealing a beverage truck, moving all the cans, and selling them for a profit are a little baffling to me unless you own vending machines or it's an insurance job.

There are a few members in the Dallas/North Texas area that would be on my short list of suspects! :lol:

Josh
10-04-2011, 10:20

It would be easy to hijack such a vehicle with the help of someone who already drives, say, a beer truck for a living. If I only knew such a person.

OscarV
10-04-2011, 12:33
It would be easy to hijack such a vehicle with the help of someone who already drives, say, a beer truck for a living. If I only knew such a person.

When the liquor delivery guy is in the store I always jump in his truck to see if he has anything good but no luck.

MarkEdwards
10-04-2011, 17:25

Yep. Saw a story yesterday that said the Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex was "a hub of cargo theft." Damn idiots had better leave my Pappy alone this year. As far as I'm concerned, they can HAVE the Dr. Pepper.

Apparently, the thieves work fast and efficiently, as the empty trailers are usually found mere hours later.

B.B. Babington
10-05-2011, 18:52
Dr. Pepper was originally a Texas product I believe. .... The logistics of stealing a beverage truck, moving all the cans, and selling them for a profit are a little baffling to me ....

Stealing trailers is big business and thieves already have distribution, especially if getting 3 trailers of Dr. Pepper. The Dr. Peppers probably went to convenience stores, vending machines, or vending at events. Though sometimes a beer truck is left unattended and somebody says, "hum, I'm thirsty" then the find the trailer in the woods or wrecked two miles down the road.

Dr. Pepper website says formula originated in Texas, but some Virginians like to claim he took the recipe from Virginia - especially when there's a Texan around willing to argue about it.

Bourbon Boiler
10-05-2011, 19:40

This would be a bigger crime than the theft ...

DeanSheen
10-05-2011, 22:41
Dr. Pepper website says formula originated in Texas, but some Virginians like to claim he took the recipe from Virginia - especially when there's a Texan around willing to argue about it.

My Dad was stationed in Ft Worth I think, in the late 60's for a bit after he was drafted in Nam.

The point is that I was told stories about how when they came back East they packed up a few cases of Dr. Pepper to bring with them because they liked it so much and you could not get it back here.

jcg9779
10-06-2011, 15:44
Dr. Pepper was created in Waco, TX back in the 1880s. I went to Baylor for four years (plus one victory lap year) and never went to the Dr. Pepper museum in downtown Waco. Everything at Baylor is Dr. Pepper...not a Coke to be found in any vending machine.

Enoch
10-06-2011, 19:00
Dr. Pepper was created in Waco, TX back in the 1880s. I went to Baylor for four years (plus one victory lap year) and never went to the Dr. Pepper museum in downtown Waco. Everything at Baylor is Dr. Pepper...not a Coke to be found in any vending machine.

I lived in Ft. Worth for three years (in fact will be there next week) and learned to love Dr. Pepper. If you order a soda you will get Dr. Pepper there unless you specify coke, etc. I had a friend who worked there and he would get me seconds for $1 a case. He said Dr. P got it's name from a soda jerk who was trying to win the pharmacist's daughter's heart so he named a new drink after her father.

B.B. Babington
10-06-2011, 20:59
...I was told stories about how when they came back East they packed up a few cases of Dr. Pepper to bring with them because they liked it so much and you could not get it back here.

Depends on where in the east. Carolinas and Virginia have long history of Dr. Pepper consumption. Roanoke Virginia prides itself on the neon star over the city and it's old "10 2 4" Dr. Pepper sign. The sign is no longer the same original sign, but the replacement is still an icon. Southwest Virginia consumes a lot of Dr. Pepper. Google: Dr. Pepper Capital of the World

B.B. Babington
10-06-2011, 21:09
...He said Dr. P got it's name from a soda jerk who was trying to win the pharmacist's daughter's heart so he named a new drink after her father.
Yep, that's one story that's been around a LONG time, and may or may not be true. Some people try to disprove it, but accurate information may be hard to find. The "soda jerk" was supposedly Charles Alderton and the pharmacy was in Rural Retreat, Virginia. It was still open until it burned down just a few years ago. I took some pictures of the pharmacy/general store years ago, I'll try to find them and post.

gblick
10-06-2011, 21:50
Here's some Dr Pepper history:

http://www.dublindrpepper.com/history.aspx

I order all of my Dr Pepper from Old Doc's in Dublin, because they still make it with real cane sugar.
Yes, I'm one of those anti-HFCS weirdos.

tommyboy38
10-06-2011, 22:02
When is the fall allocation of Dr. Pepper going to be released?

politely
10-06-2011, 23:15

I just want to know whether it's sourced from Morrison's Old Corner Drug Store - or was it made elsewhere?

Bourbon Boiler
10-06-2011, 23:22
I just want to know whether it's sourced from Morrison's Old Corner Drug Store - or was it made elsewhere?

I would hope they would change the label if it's no longer coming from Morrison's.

MacinJosh
10-07-2011, 11:36

Hahaha. That's what I was thinking. I swear I clicked on a Pappy Fall Allocation thread but somehow I got kicked into a Dr. Pepper one. ;)

Josh

MarkEdwards
10-07-2011, 20:36

I hear that the current bottler won some pioneer award. :rolleyes:

StraightNoChaser
10-08-2011, 05:25
I hear that the current bottler won some pioneer award. :rolleyes:
:lol: this thread is funny now

LouKyLover
10-12-2011, 06:23
Just posted on Facebook. Here we go again!
Talked to Julian and Preston at Whiskyfest in San Francisco last Friday. Preston said the Louisville release would be in about 2 weeks but Julian grinned and said it would probably be more like 3. I told them to load me up with Lot B. I'm running short.

autiger23
10-12-2011, 20:39
Talked to Julian and Preston at Whiskyfest in San Francisco last Friday. Preston said the Louisville release would be in about 2 weeks but Julian grinned and said it would probably be more like 3. I told them to load me up with Lot B. I'm running short.

They said that 3 weeks ago. Seem to be a little behind right now.

BradleyC
10-13-2011, 15:49
Diet Dr. Pepper tastes more like real Dr. Pepper

OscarV
10-14-2011, 15:39
Diet Dr. Pepper tastes more like real Dr. Pepper

100% agree.
In fact I'd go so far as to say that only Diet Dr Pepper is qualified to use it's original brand's namesake.
Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi have no similar taste qualities to the original.

Opps, off topic here, sorry.

To get back on topic let me yell out to Julian, Hey JVW III!!! Stop watering down that good bourbon!!!

hectic1
10-14-2011, 18:22
I'm thinking that I'm going to get a couple bottles of Pappy 15 if they're dated March of 2009...if not, I'll grab one and open it to see how the BT juice tastes. ;)

jcg9779
10-14-2011, 20:21
I'm thinking that I'm going to get a couple bottles of Pappy 15 if they're dated March of 2009...if not, I'll grab one and open it to see how the BT juice tastes. ;)

Haha that's a good point...I'll have to check the date before I purchase also!

PappyVW23
10-23-2011, 11:08
Now that the BTAC fall 2011 is out, anybody have an update on the pappy?

Moretorque05
10-24-2011, 16:44
I've seen PVW 20 and 23 on the shelf at the liquor stores I frequent, but only Saz 18 from the BTAC.

BFerguson
10-24-2011, 17:43
I've seen PVW 20 and 23 on the shelf at the liquor stores I frequent, but only Saz 18 from the BTAC.

Not too surprising as the price point on those two in particular put it out of reasonable reach for most.

While I am sure many people out there spend at that level in a month or two for drinks in general, when it comes down to pulling the trigger for that amount on one bottle, it does give one pause........for a moment.

We all have our "limits".

B

PappyVW23
10-24-2011, 18:44
where they the new fall release or old stock? haven't seen anything in md yet.

autiger23
10-24-2011, 19:04
where they the new fall release or old stock? haven't seen anything in md yet.

They are the old.

autiger23
10-26-2011, 10:50
FYI, shipments for the entire pappy line is expect to start early next week!

StraightNoChaser
10-26-2011, 11:18
FYI, shipments for the entire pappy line is expect to start early next week!
according to my local shops they already have it at the distributor :dunno:

autiger23
10-26-2011, 17:23
Who knows, just updated their facebook page. A lot more delayed than last year.

cowdery
10-28-2011, 17:25
I received a press release a few days ago that says "toward the end of November." I'm saying, "after Thanksgiving."

stevegoz
11-03-2011, 10:36
Latest from Facebook, as of 15 minutes ago:

Arkansas, Kentucky and Pennsylvania orders have shipped.

Mike Early
11-03-2011, 14:01
I've never tried any Pappy. Hopefully I will find some on the KY/OH/WV area this year.

stevegoz
11-04-2011, 10:45
Today's update.............

Missouri, South Florida and New Mexico orders have shipped. It usually takes a week or two from the time it ships til it hits shelves.

mosugoji64
11-04-2011, 14:29
Just spoke to an Indy-area manager who said they're expecting shipments to drop next week.

MacinJosh
11-07-2011, 17:54
Just spoke to an Indy-area manager who said they're expecting shipments to drop next week.

And what's the verdict on the juice? Still SW as far as we know? Any new info from Julian?

Josh

BradleyC
11-07-2011, 18:04
And what's the verdict on the juice? Still SW as far as we know? Any new info from Julian?

Josh

It's like elementary school mystery meat. You just don't know what you're going to get.

autiger23
11-07-2011, 18:40
Louisiana, North Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming orders have shipped.

todays shipments

hectic1
11-07-2011, 19:10
:slappin: This thread is funny!

autiger23
11-08-2011, 15:45
For the life of me can someone help out with a couple bottles of the 13yr Rye?

All my dealers in Georgia and Tennessee say they have never received an allocation of the bottle but they always get their cases of the 10, 12, 15, 20 and 23's. Frustrating as hell. Had my first thanks to a fellow SB member's help was hoping for a little more as I am looking for just 2!

BradleyC
11-08-2011, 15:49
For the life of me can someone help out with a couple bottles of the 13yr Rye?

was hoping for a little more as I am looking for just 2!

That's a pretty tall request. Are you offering anything in trade for them?

autiger23
11-08-2011, 16:06
Just out of pure niceness! :-)

I honestly don't have any rare or old stitzell type bourbon's in my collection. Just the basics and some of the newer BTAC one's. Wish I had that leverage but I have only been drinking bourbon for a little while, only 30yrs old here...and it sucks living in AL for dusty hunting.

BradleyC
11-08-2011, 16:31
Did you drink all those PVW 15's you got in the spring? I would think that would be a fair trade. The 15 might cost a few $ more but isn't nearly as tough to find as is the rye.

autiger23
11-08-2011, 16:39
Got married in just recently, funny you mention that as I had 11 in my wedding, gave 10 of the bottles of 15yr to them one was my dad which I am trying to find another decanter for him.

I have a couple bottles left of the 15 in the bunker. I agree its a decent trade but with those with SW juice almost near gone the 13yr Rye will always be around. I have some coming in for this allocation so might be possible but was hoping again for niceness like the previous member helping a guy out.

Anyone can PM me and we will talk it over on there. Pretty reasonable on my end.

hectic1
11-08-2011, 16:42
Got married in just recently, funny you mention that as I had 11 in my wedding, gave 10 of the bottles of 15yr to them one was my dad which I am trying to find another decanter for him.

I have a couple bottles left of the 15 in the bunker. I agree its a decent trade but with those with SW juice almost near gone the 13yr Rye will always be around. I have some coming in for this allocation so might be possible but was hoping again for niceness like the previous member helping a guy out.

Anyone can PM me and we will talk it over on there. Pretty reasonable on my end.
The bottles of 13yr VW Rye in it's current form won't always "be around". The whiskey that is in those bottles is 19yr whiskey that was tanked some time ago much like the Saz 18yr. Just some food for thought when your trying to get someone to get you one! ;)

BradleyC
11-08-2011, 16:51
The bottles of 13yr VW Rye in it's current form won't always "be around". The whiskey that is in those bottles is 19yr whiskey that was tanked some time ago much like the Saz 18yr. Just some food for thought when your trying to get someone to get you one! ;)

Yeah, that is Medley/Cream of Kentucky Rye. Never to be produced again. Whenver the new VW13 rye comes around (2017 maybe???) it will be 6 years younger and a completely different distillate. Until then it will be extremely hard to get.

Most folks don't see 1 bottle of VW rye in a year, much less 2. Any store that is fortunate enough to get any more than likely has a list for it and or bottle limits.

Isn't the annual release of the rye 2500 bottles? This has to cover the US, EU, and Japanese markets.

Congrats on getting married.

autiger23
11-08-2011, 16:53

Honestly did not know that about the rye. Thanks hectic.

Again if anyone is willing, shoot me a PM. Thanks for all the help, very appreciative.

BFerguson
11-08-2011, 17:49
Isn't the annual release of the rye 2500 bottles? This has to cover the US, EU, and Japanese markets.

Is that all it is per year? Man that is not much!:shocked:

Knew it has been tanked, and much older than the stated age, but didn't know it was that rare.

B

BradleyC
11-08-2011, 18:15
Is that all it is per year? Man that is not much!:shocked:

Knew it has been tanked, and much older than the stated age, but didn't know it was that rare.

B

I might have guessed a little low. It looks to be 290 cases/year which would be 3480 bottles. This is according to Fussychicken's post #15 found here:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7589&page=2

BFerguson
11-08-2011, 18:39
Still scarce by any means.....Hard to imagine that we only have a 5 year wait until the new version comes out, if the new version will also be a 13yr product.

Any takers for prompting Julian to do something around a 10 years??

B

autiger23
11-08-2011, 19:41
Would you pay a $100 for a bottle of VWRR?

BFerguson
11-09-2011, 04:13

Nope, don't think I've every paid more than $45.

B

Josh
11-09-2011, 05:27

If I was sure it was one of the first set that was supposedly all Medley, maybe. Otherwise, no.

hectic1
11-09-2011, 06:46
That really depends on a lot of variables. I have some in the bunker and I've had it before so there isn't a ton driving me to get more. In your case, it doesn't sound like you've had it or have any in the bunker so whether or not it's worth $100 to you is the $100 question I guess.

There are certain bottles that people will pay a premium for as they are desired by them while the same bottle to me is something that I pass on...so I guess I'm trying to say it's hard for me to tell you what a bottle should or shouldn't be worth to you! ;)

autiger23
11-09-2011, 07:20
That really depends on a lot of variables. I have some in the bunker and I've had it before so there isn't a ton driving me to get more. In your case, it doesn't sound like you've had it or have any in the bunker so whether or not it's worth $100 to you is the $100 question I guess.

There are certain bottles that people will pay a premium for as they are desired by them while the same bottle to me is something that I pass on...so I guess I'm trying to say it's hard for me to tell you what a bottle should or shouldn't be worth to you! ;)

I have currently a B from the Frankfort bottling, the only one I have had and seen. The one's in question at bottling A from Frankfort also.

stevegoz
11-09-2011, 10:23
It's getting closer to Chicago.... :cool:

Colorado, Southern Illinois (Areas east of St. Louis), Indiana, Nebraska and Nevada orders have shipped.

camduncan
11-09-2011, 12:41
I've had confirmation that Australia will receive a VERY small allotment of Van Winkle...

jburlowski
11-09-2011, 18:15
I've had confirmation that Australia will receive a VERY small allotment of Van Winkle...

Hey, just just another continent...

Sorry... :searching:

B.B. Babington
11-09-2011, 18:49
Does that mean you won't drive that far to get a bottle?

T Comp
11-09-2011, 19:55

In 2003 the Van Winkle Reserve 13 year Rye was marked down to a sale price of $20.99 from its regular price of $23.99 for Preferred customers at Sam's Wines in Chicago (now out of business) as stated in the mailer I found stashed in one of my desk drawers tonight. Too bad for me that was about 4 years before I got the whiskey bug. You can see the Van Winkle inflation since then by this mailer as it had the regular price on WT Kentucky Spirit as $39.99 and on sale at $35.99. I can still find WTKS in that range.

BradleyC
11-09-2011, 20:47
In 2003 the Van Winkle Reserve 13 year Rye was marked down to a sale price of $20.99 from its regular price of $23.99 for Preferred customers at Sam's Wines in Chicago (now out of business) as stated in the mailer I found stashed in one of my desk drawers tonight. Too bad for me that was about 4 years before I got the whiskey bug. You can see the Van Winkle inflation since then by this mailer as it had the regular price on WT Kentucky Spirit as $39.99 and on sale at $35.99. I can still find WTKS in that range.

Wow. That is a bit of price increase in relation to the WTKS. Sale prices on VW......Ha ha. Oh those must have been the days. Your post made me think of the following picture of Tim's which isn't as good of a deal as yours:

https://picasaweb.google.com/114260041494240388802/Whiskeys#5137713681512943890

camduncan
11-09-2011, 22:38

Sorry... :searching:

Yep, one single retail store to supply Van Winkle products to approx 23 million people across a continent that is roughly the same geographic size as the United States.... :bigeyes: :skep: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:
(In fairness, they're very, very good to deal with and always take the time to have a chat when I phone through my annual order of 2 10/107 bottles at $120 each)

Beer&Bourbon
11-10-2011, 08:02
I drove around No. Ky yesterday trying to secure a bottle of 15 year, but was thoroughly unsuccessful - the few places that had bottles said they were allocating them to 'special customers'. After hitting up a dozen or so stores I gave up. I was able to secure a bottle of Rye, but am still on the lookout for 15 year.

If anyone knows a likely spot and is willing to share, please send me a pm. Thanks!

Roger

clingman71
11-10-2011, 08:47
I drove around No. Ky yesterday trying to secure a bottle of 15 year, but was thoroughly unsuccessful - the few places that had bottles said they were allocating them to 'special customers'. After hitting up a dozen or so stores I gave up. I was able to secure a bottle of Rye, but am still on the lookout for 15 year.

If anyone knows a likely spot and is willing to share, please send me a pm. Thanks!

Roger

Party Source, Friday 8 am, one bottle per customer.

barturtle
11-10-2011, 09:16

I've got that beat:

Feeling inspired by all the wonderfull bottles I keep seeing you guys find, while out on a bike ride today, I stopped in one of the few local liquor store( this being in my other home in Louisiana, where most people buy their liquor at the grocery).

Anyway found 2 Old Charter Bonds, while newer bottles, 1 says distilled in Louisville and the other Frankfort, though both back labels are the same (distilled at DSP-2 Bottled at DSP-KY-113). I've never seen this at my home in Louisville.

Also found a not-so-dusty Old Rip 15 107-for $18.99!!, the same price as the 10 107 and the 10 90 Old Rips!!
:woohoo:
Unfortunate budget constraints forced me to leave a WTRR 101 as well as a Hirsch 16. :cry:

GreggJ
11-10-2011, 12:02
I have struck out on the PVW products for 2 years in a row. :hot: No shipping and allocation in NH is killing me. Everytime I look at that empty hole where the PVW 15 used to sit I just don't feel right. :-)

Luckily, I was able to get 5 bottles each of GTS and WLW '11. If anyone has any extra Pappy and wants to trade a couple bottles of any VW stuff or other goodies I can't get here. Send a PM, and we can probably work out a mutually agreeable trade. I would be willing to let go 2 bottles of each.

jburlowski
11-10-2011, 18:37
All over Northern KY... traded two JBWs for one today. Got screwed... the market is flooded.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bourbon Boiler
11-10-2011, 20:12
Party Source, Friday 8 am, one bottle per customer.

One bottle total btw, not one bottle of each age.

stevegoz
11-10-2011, 23:28
From nine hours ago on Facebook:

Central Florida, Minnesota, New York, and Rhode Island orders have shipped.

Beer&Bourbon
11-11-2011, 07:21
I went to Party Source today. Seventh in line so I was hoping I could manage a decanter set, but they only had two. I did get a 15 year though so I'm pretty happy. (If anyone has a lead on a decanter set that is available, please pm me.)

cbus
11-11-2011, 07:26
Went to Party Source also, but was much further back in the line. By the time I got to the desk, the 20 and 15 were gone, and I did not feel like springing for the 23. I had a choice between lot b and the rye, and I went with the rye.

Tucker
11-11-2011, 07:46
I had a choice between lot b and the rye, and I went with the rye.

Good choice! I'm overstocked on Lot B and hoping my contacts can come through with some VWFRR this year.

Josh
11-11-2011, 08:02
Just posted on FB,

Guam, Faroe Islands, Antarctica and Djibouti orders have shipped

barturtle
11-11-2011, 08:58
Just posted on FB,

Quote:
Guam, Faroe Islands, Antarctica and Djibouti orders have shipped

Awesome! I'm hitching up my sled dogs! I know all you guys are heading after the warm weather bottles, and they'll sell out before I get there.:smiley_acbt:

autiger23
11-11-2011, 09:04
I went to Party Source today. Seventh in line so I was hoping I could manage a decanter set, but they only had two. I did get a 15 year though so I'm pretty happy. (If anyone has a lead on a decanter set that is available, please pm me.)

Correct me if I am wrong, but why would anyone expect they would have a decanter set from this year's allocation. Were they not all released at once when they came out as a special allocation? Jay got my set directly from Julian over the summer and said it was one of Julian's last one's. I just don't understand why anyone was hoping to get one this morning and more surprised to see that there was 2. Just weird to me and maybe someone can shed more light.

Beer&Bourbon
11-11-2011, 09:18
Correct me if I am wrong, but why would anyone expect they would have a decanter set from this year's allocation. Were they not all released at once when they came out as a special allocation? Jay got my set directly from Julian over the summer and said it was one of Julian's last one's. I just don't understand why anyone was hoping to get one this morning and more surprised to see that there was 2. Just weird to me and maybe someone can shed more light.

Party Source sent an email last night listing all of the bottles that would be available today. On that list was the decanter set so I decided I would pick one up. I got a 15 year, which I love, but since I haven't tried the 23 yet, I was excited to pull the trigger for a decanter set (which I thought I wouldn't have a shot at getting since they've not been available for awhile).

Tony
11-11-2011, 09:56
Party Source sent an email last night listing all of the bottles that would be available today. On that list was the decanter set so I decided I would pick one up. I got a 15 year, which I love, but since I haven't tried the 23 yet, I was excited to pull the trigger for a decanter set (which I thought I wouldn't have a shot at getting since they've not been available for awhile).

Congratulations on the decanter set. I was able to get one a couple of weeks ago but am saving it for several years. It is supposed to be very good and it is different then the regular 23.

Best regards, tony

cbus
11-11-2011, 13:01
This is a general question, since I am still new to all of this, but since the title of this thread is "Pappy fall allocation," does that mean that there is more than one release of this per year?

BradleyC
11-11-2011, 14:32
This is a general question, since I am still new to all of this, but since the title of this thread is "Pappy fall allocation," does that mean that there is more than one release of this per year?

To my knowledge it has always been an annual release (Fall) with them having done an additional distribution last spring. Whether the Spring distributions continue, I have no idea.

BradleyC
11-11-2011, 14:35
Just posted on FB,

I heard ORVW did an extremely limited Pappy Van Winkle 30 year decanter that was all sent to Djibouti. It was packaged with a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper and 2 really nice Solo cups.

OscarV
11-11-2011, 14:43
I heard ORVW did an extremely limited Pappy Van Winkle 30 year decanter that was all sent to Djibouti.

You are correct Sir!
I read all about here,...well actually in the thumbnail below.

smokinjoe
11-11-2011, 14:56
FYI, the Tele Country Code for Djibouti is 253. You may now begin your contact fostering in earnest...:)

However, if you refer to bourbon as juice in Djibouti, they will shrink your head, and wear it as a pendant. :cool:

Josh
11-11-2011, 17:13
FYI, the Tele Country Code for Djibouti is 253. You may now begin your contact fostering in earnest...:)

However, if you refer to bourbon as juice in Djibouti, they will shrink your head, and wear it as a pendant. :cool:

What a hateful stereotype. They don't shrink heads in Djibouti, they'll just eat you.

BradleyC
11-11-2011, 17:14

What is the rest of the number? I was going to call in and get on their "list"

barturtle
11-11-2011, 21:07
I just got off the phone with Julian-he was asking me to come down and help taste some barrels for the re-release of Old Time Rye in a few months-and he mentioned that the rather sizable allocation that's heading to Deadhorse, AK had to be shipped all barrel proof. Seems the Antarctica bottles didn't need to be as it's summer there...

BradleyC
11-11-2011, 22:42
They only ship barrel proof rye to AK. The 95 proof stuff tends to freeze in transit. They lost too much product through the long winters and started sending barrel proof only to keep it from freezing. The AK PVW15 is actually 128.3 proof

This is on the internet. Therefore it IS true.

bad_scientist
11-12-2011, 06:59
I read that they bottled a barrel distilled in 1959 and sent them to Hawaii and Alaska to commemorate the year of their statehoods.

Parkersback
11-12-2011, 11:26
They only ship barrel proof rye to AK. The 95 proof stuff tends to freeze in transit. They lost too much product through the long winters and started sending barrel proof only to keep it from freezing. The AK PVW15 is actually 128.3 proof

This is on the internet. Therefore it IS true.

I heard they recently uncovered a semi-truck full of the stuff that had slid off the road on the way to Alaska in the '80's.. Or was it the '20's? Anyway, they were able to salvage a few bottles, and I think they're going to try to recreate the recipe and sell it. They're calling it Van Winkleton Ice Rye.

MarkEdwards
11-12-2011, 14:13
Talked to my usual retailer today, and he says they are no longer sure we will get any Pappy in the DFW area this year. Phooey! :hot:

autiger23
11-12-2011, 16:24
Talked to my usual retailer today, and he says they are no longer sure we will get any Pappy in the DFW area this year. Phooey! :hot:

That's unreal for that market, no way that is true.

Bourbon Boiler
11-12-2011, 19:45
There's still a bottle of 23 on sale in West Lafayette, IN for $310. It's from 2010 or before.

mosugoji64
11-12-2011, 21:01
To anyone else who might be heading out this weekend looking for VW, TPS and CNB sold out Friday morning. Employees at TPS said they had people camped out at 5 a.m., and one guy at CNB said none of the bottles ever hit the shelf!

Bourbon Boiler
11-13-2011, 06:08
I heard TPS was 40 people deep at 7:30 for a 8:00 opening.

OscarV
11-13-2011, 07:03

And sold out at 11am.

Josh
11-13-2011, 07:05

And sold out at 11am.

Good grief.:bigeyes:

clingman71
11-13-2011, 08:11
I had been emailing Jay at Party Source all week ablout the VW release. It was first come first serve Friday 8am, one bottle total. I voiced my displeasure a bit as this sort of screws people with jobs. Why no Satuday 8am release? He emailed me to check Saturday morning as the VW never sells out as fast as the BTAC, WRONG! He also mentioned in the email holding a little back for a future online/shipped only release like they did with the BTAC-this is how I got my Stagg. Yesterday, in person, he proceeds to tell me something completely different. Keep checking because we are quietly going to stick some in the case in a few weeks. No online order???? I live over an hour away, I guess I'm suppposed to drive down everyday to check. They aren't always forthcoming over the phone with their stock. I get a little upset when told one thing one day, and something else two days later.

And on another note, I understand the crazy price increase with each release of Pappy, but all VW is not Pappy,why is the BT/VW 10 years increasing so much as well. Shouldnt the supply of the 10 year, and soon the 12 also, be increasing as more of the BT wheat juice is ready for VW to choose from? Is 10/107 worth $50, when it was $30-35 in the spring? Is lotB worth $75 when it was $50-55 in the spring. I love both of these, but you can now get 2 Weller 12s for the price of a 10/107, and 3 for the cost of a lot B.

As described in a thread last week, Van Winkle is the bourbon-lotB- that got me "hooked" on bourbon. Now it is pricing itself out of range.

Parkersback
11-13-2011, 08:33
Shouldnt the supply of the 10 year, and soon the 12 also, be increasing as more of the BT wheat juice is ready for VW to choose from? Is 10/107 worth $50, when it was $30-35 in the spring? Is lotB worth $75 when it was $50-55 in the spring. I love both of these, but you can now get 2 Weller 12s for the price of a 10/107, and 3 for the cost of a lot B.

Here are some of the same questions I have: I don't understand why there's not more 10/107 and 10/90. BT is a big outfit, no? I suppose there's some business theory that says if they make/release more, the mystique will go away and sales will drop?

I guess I do understand the price increase, I suppose. Who doesn't like to make money? I used to pick up those Rips for under $30, and that's when they were probably SW, but if we're all buying, I can't blame BT or VW or whoever for selling them for what we'll pay.

But speaking of money, you are right on the money when you reference Weller 12. Yes, I know Mr. Van Winkle gets first choice of the barrels for Lot B, and presumably even for the two Rip bourbons. Is Lot B better than Weller 12? I don't know. But I do know I have never had any kind of problem with any of the Weller 12's I've bought for $19.99 before tax. They taste great. Once in a while pour a tiny dollop of WLW in with the Weller 12, and it's even richer.

mosugoji64
11-13-2011, 09:23
Here are some of the same questions I have: I don't understand why there's not more 10/107 and 10/90. BT is a big outfit, no? I suppose there's some business theory that says if they make/release more, the mystique will go away and sales will drop?

I guess I do understand the price increase, I suppose. Who doesn't like to make money? I used to pick up those Rips for under $30, and that's when they were probably SW, but if we're all buying, I can't blame BT or VW or whoever for selling them for what we'll pay.

But speaking of money, you are right on the money when you reference Weller 12. Yes, I know Mr. Van Winkle gets first choice of the barrels for Lot B, and presumably even for the two Rip bourbons. Is Lot B better than Weller 12? I don't know. But I do know I have never had any kind of problem with any of the Weller 12's I've bought for $19.99 before tax. They taste great. Once in a while pour a tiny dollop of WLW in with the Weller 12, and it's even richer.

I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing a few bottles of ORVW this past spring when I found a shelf full at Total Wine. Had no idea it would be this tough to acquire in the very near future! :smiley_acbt: Oh, well. Like you said, Weller 12 is plentiful and delicious so we really shouldn't complain. But still ...

silverfish
11-13-2011, 11:10
I had been emailing Jay at Party Source all week ablout the VW release.

I'm curious - when everyone talks about the shortage of VW
products, are you referring to PVW bottles only or are you
seeing a lack of Old Rip as well? Do people snatch those
up ("Guess I'll "settle" for this...") like the PVWs?

Josh
11-13-2011, 11:28
I had been emailing Jay at Party Source all week ablout the VW release. It was first come first serve Friday 8am, one bottle total.

I suspect the one-bottle-per-person rule is responsible for the long line.

mosugoji64
11-13-2011, 12:40

Old Rip sold out with everything else. I was hoping to score some 10/107.

fishnbowljoe
11-13-2011, 15:35
One thing to remember is that most (all?) of the VW products are now coming from BT stock. I've been to BT about seven or eight times in the last five years, and only once have they been distilling the wheated mashbill when I was there. (If they were distilling at all.) It seems like a logical conclusion to me that they don't run the wheated mashbill near as often as their two rye mashbills. Maybe someone can help shed a little light on this. :skep: So you have one mashbill now accounting for: BTAC WLW, Weller 12, OWA, Weller SR, ORVW 10/90, ORVW 10/107, Lot B, Pappy 15, and maybe Pappy 20 and Pappy 23 as well. Add to that the possibility of not enough available warehouse space, and......... voila'. Limited availabilty! :rolleyes:

I know some of this is conjecture on my part, but I don't think I'm too far off in my rationale here. Cheers and happy wheaters to all! :grin: Joe

ebo
11-13-2011, 16:23
Just another reason for me to write off the whole fiasco.

It would be one thing if it was just hard to find; it's quite another that it's hard to find and only released once a year... to a select few dealers. The whole deal is just bullshit, IMO. I refuse to be part of it.

Josh
11-13-2011, 16:36
I'm with Ebo.

If I see some on a shelf, which I probably will at some point, I'll pick up a couple bottles of Old Rip 107. Otherwise, nuts to this. I got better things to do than devote time and money toward a wild goose chase.

smokinjoe
11-13-2011, 17:09
I have managed to score all of the PVW in Djibouti! :woohoo: I PM'd Kickert in Swaziland, and he made the camel trip up to the Horn to pick up for me all 7 bottles that were shipped there. I, truly, am great. :)

bad_scientist
11-13-2011, 17:34
I have managed to score all of the PVW in Djibouti! :woohoo: I PM'd Kickert in Swaziland, and he made the camel trip up to the Horn to pick up for me all 7 bottles that were shipped there. I, truly, am great. :)

Yes, but you are poor because YOU ARE A RIVER FOR YOUR PEOPLE!!!

Any Lawrence of Arabia fans? Beware of them at parties because they will mention that quote and expect you to give them a pour :)

Josh
11-13-2011, 18:24

Any Lawrence of Arabia fans? Beware of them at parties because they will mention that quote and expect you to give them a pour :)

About as many here as are Shakespeare fans (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=262703&postcount=60), I think.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

callmeox
11-13-2011, 19:38

Is he the English guy who came to fight the Turkish?

jburlowski
11-13-2011, 20:07

Ah, the good old days... when the Ottoman Empire was known for their taffy.

smokinjoe
11-13-2011, 20:31

With thanks to the Great Lakes Chapter, Hollywood Knights is now the official flick of GBS...:D

White Dog
11-13-2011, 20:32
One thing to remember is that most (all?) of the VW products are now coming from BT stock. I've been to BT about seven or eight times in the last five years, and only once have they been distilling the wheated mashbill when I was there. (If they were distilling at all.) It seems like a logical conclusion to me that they don't run the wheated mashbill near as often as their two rye mashbills. Maybe someone can help shed a little light on this. :skep: So you have one mashbill now accounting for: BTAC WLW, Weller 12, OWA, Weller SR, ORVW 10/90, ORVW 10/107, Lot B, Pappy 15, and maybe Pappy 20 and Pappy 23 as well. Add to that the possibility of not enough available warehouse space, and......... voila'. Limited availabilty! :rolleyes:

I know some of this is conjecture on my part, but I don't think I'm too far off in my rationale here. Cheers and happy wheaters to all! :grin: Joe

I'm probably wrong, but it seems I never hear enough praise for Julian the Master Blender. Regardless of what percentage Bernheim/Medley/BT/S-W make up the bottlings(And don't get me wrong, I'd kill to know that information), it seems to me that his fans should really appreciate how he achieves his end products, for they come from many parts.

Say what you want about procuring Van Winkle products, but I mostly dig the guy's palate.

And yes, Joe, I too want them to run more wheated mashbill, just as I want LDI to run more Rye. :cool: :lol:

Virus_Of_Life
11-13-2011, 20:41
So you have one mashbill now accounting for: BTAC WLW, Weller 12, OWA, Weller SR, ORVW 10/90, ORVW 10/107, Lot B, Pappy 15, and maybe Pappy 20 and Pappy 23 as well. Add to that the possibility of not enough available warehouse space, and......... voila'. Limited availabilty! :rolleyes:

Joe, I do not know for sure, but I recall being told the Lot B was actually Bernheim. Of course who knows if it still is, but if so it may account for why it is better than the Pappy 15, and as white dog stated they very well could be blends of mutliple distillate. Anyone, other one of the Van Winkle's, who claims to know for sure shouldn't waste our time.

I agree with everyone else this has reached insane levels and I think the retailers are pretty fed up. I went into a store for something else and asked just to see the reaction, I was told local state liquor owners are actually petitioning the control commission to not even bother with the products any longer. Of course he could have been blowing smoke, but seemed pretty intent; however I don't think that would stop people from asking.

bad_scientist
11-13-2011, 20:44
Ah, the good old days... when the Ottoman Empire was known for their taffy.

They made quite the Delight, I hear.

bad_scientist
11-13-2011, 20:49
About as many here as are Shakespeare fans (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=262703&postcount=60), I think.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's awesome! When I pass out tonight, I shall be sure to cover my ankles with my toga, as befits a nobleman.

BradleyC
11-13-2011, 21:52
[QUOTE=Virus_Of_Life;262895 I think the retailers are pretty fed up. [/QUOTE]

I notice the same sentiment. They individually get so few bottles, the hassle generated along with the number of disappointed customers isn't worth what little profit they can make. If they get 12 bottles or less of whatever, its almost not worth fooling with. They make money with volume. The VW release is nothing more than a big distraction for them at this point and I can't blame them. Especially when you factor in the nonsense that starts at the distributor level such as tying VW/BTAC allocations to BT and ER barrel purchases.

clingman71
11-14-2011, 05:34
I notice the same sentiment. They individually get so few bottles, the hassle generated along with the number of disappointed customers isn't worth what little profit they can make. If they get 12 bottles or less of whatever, its almost not worth fooling with. They make money with volume. The VW release is nothing more than a big distraction for them at this point and I can't blame them. Especially when you factor in the nonsense that starts at the distributor level such as tying VW/BTAC allocations to BT and ER barrel purchases.

I understand this sentiment, but don't agree completely. For everyone who bothers them about VW and is a disappointed customer, a hassle, there are customers who buy product year round to establish a good relationship with that retailer. Also, buying other product at the time of the VW. I drive down to Party Source and Cork n Bottle every 4-6 weeks or so for this very reason, and I'm not the only one. I went to CnB Sat for VW and also bought some ETL.

callmeox
11-14-2011, 08:38
I understand this sentiment, but don't agree completely. For everyone who bothers them about VW and is a disappointed customer, a hassle, there are customers who buy product year round to establish a good relationship with that retailer. Also, buying other product at the time of the VW. I drive down to Party Source and Cork n Bottle every 4-6 weeks or so for this very reason, and I'm not the only one. I went to CnB Sat for VW and also bought some ETL.

Retailers like CnB and Binnys are the exception, IMO, due to their larger allocation. Mom and pop places get a bottle or two each release. Hardly enough profit there to justify the relative hassle twice a year.

Josh
11-14-2011, 09:06
Might I suggest a new slogan for Julian?

The Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery:
"Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

SMOWK
11-14-2011, 10:18

A lot of retailers mark them up %300 or so and just let them sit for a while, knowing that somebody will come in and fork over the cash. I'm starting to not blame them.

p_elliott
11-14-2011, 10:23
You all are now saying now that you didn't get it that it's not worth the trouble. You think maybe you should have thought of that 140 post ago. It's not in Iowa if I'm some where and it's on the shelf so be it otherwise I'm not killing myself or friends for it. And I'm kinda tired of reading about reading of people who are.

smokinjoe
11-14-2011, 12:05
Might I suggest a new slogan for Julian?

The Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery:
"Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

So, your saying Julian is really Zul? :)

jcg9779
11-14-2011, 13:34

In Atlanta I see the PVW stuff fly off the shelves. The ORVW stuff will go quickly, but generally lasts up to a couple of weeks. Of course, VW products are expensive in Georgia and the ORVW 10/90 is $45 and the ORVW 10/107 is $50. That could explain why they sit a little longer than in other parts of the country.

Josh
11-14-2011, 13:37

Gozer more like.:lol:

AaronWF
11-14-2011, 14:20

Gozer more like.:lol:

I'm just glad I know how to answer the question when the liquor store clerk inquires as to whether I'm worthy of purchasing a bottle of Pappy with, "Are you a god?"

OscarV
11-14-2011, 14:30
I'm just glad I know how to answer the question when the liquor store clerk inquires as to whether I'm worthy of purchasing a bottle of Pappy with, "Are you a god?"

Same thing happens to me but the retailer explodes on me and I am covered in marshmellow goo a la Stay Puff Marshmellow Man and I have no Pappy/Old Rip.

stevegoz
11-14-2011, 14:42
Most recent update from Facebook....

Connecticut, DC, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Ohio, and Tennessee (Nashville) orders have shipped.

wripvanwrinkle
11-14-2011, 15:17
I would like to see these ultra exclusive releases be soley distributed through a single on-line retailer (like TPS.) In doing so, the product would become much more evenly distributed. If you really want to reach your fan base, this is the strategy that you would employ.

Now, if you wanted to use this offering as bait for the sale of vodka products and single barrels...then that is a different strategy that has little to do with even market driven distribution...

BFerguson
11-14-2011, 16:26
For everyone who bothers them about VW and is a disappointed customer, a hassle, there are customers who buy product year round to establish a good relationship with that retailer. Also, buying other product at the time of the VW.

I don't think this can be said enough. I've said this a couple of times in different threads and it absolutely is true. They remember and will return the favor back to you in time.

B

OscarV
11-14-2011, 16:49
Check out this link, Pappy 20yo @ $89.00 and Pappy 23yo @ $110.00,...

opps, gotta be elsewhere,...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pappy-Van-Winkle-Family-Reserve-23-Year-Old-Bourbon-750-ml-95-6-Proof-Rare-Old-/290632253475?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ab084023

Jwilly019
11-14-2011, 16:54
Most recent update from Facebook....

I wasn't aware Ohio received any VW products.

bad_scientist
11-14-2011, 16:56

That's awesome :) I start every day* by asking myself that question in the mirror and going, "Yes!" Pumps me up!!!

(* BS - in real life I try not to look in the mirror in the morning...)

stevegoz
11-14-2011, 17:10
I wasn't aware Ohio received any VW products.

That's how several folk on FB reacted as well. :skep:

smokinjoe
11-14-2011, 17:19
There is no Julian, only Zul...

OscarV
11-14-2011, 17:22
There is no Julian, only Zul...

No, there is a Julian, he's the guy that waters down excellent S-W bourbon beyond recognition.

BradleyC
11-14-2011, 17:33
No, there is a Julian, he's the guy that waters down excellent S-W bourbon beyond recognition.

LOL!

Seriously though: Are you the gatekeeper?

smokinjoe
11-14-2011, 17:36

All right, who brought the dog?

BradleyC
11-14-2011, 17:46
All right, who brought the dog?

You want to come in for a mineral water or something?

OscarV
11-14-2011, 17:48
Seriously though: Are you the gatekeeper?
I only wish!

hectic1
11-14-2011, 18:27
Oscar would be happy if he would just bump the 20 and 23 to 100 proof at a minimum...is that too much to ask?

OscarV
11-14-2011, 18:35
Oscar would be happy if he would just bump the 20 and 23 to 100 proof at a minimum...is that too much to ask?

Not to much to ask at all to me.
But I would say it is way way to much to ask of JVW III, it seems to me that he loves to water down excellent bourbon beyond recognignition.

timd
11-15-2011, 10:36
I would like to see these ultra exclusive releases be soley distributed through a single on-line retailer (like TPS.) In doing so, the product would become much more evenly distributed. If you really want to reach your fan base, this is the strategy that you would employ.

But then states with huge whiskey loving populations - like Texas, Pennsylvania & Mass -as just some examples - would never get any, because 95% of online retailers won't ship liquor to them.

There's really only about a dozen or two states that are fully "free and clear" for mail order of booze (Binny's, The Party Source, K&L, Shoppers Vineyards all keep different "no ship" lists - and sadly Texas is on nearly all of them).

the problem is with the three-tier system, and state-level control of liquor. Each state has their own rules, and the only control the distiller has is which states it will (or won't) ship to, and how much they'll send - after that, it's in the distributors hands to decide what stores will get it, and then it's up to the store (or their corporate office) to decide who will get it...

Ultimately, all you need to know - and all you can control with any level of certainty - is the local shopkeeper. Be their friend, get on their lists and shop their loyally and you will get Pappy.

It's not that much work, really - just be loyal & friendly with the guys who sell you your booze!

Goes for more than Pappy - this will get you BTAC, limited releases of other liquors, etc. - most guys at liquor stores like to sell to people who really get excited and appreciate things.

clingman71
11-15-2011, 12:06
I seem to remember something on here about the relevance if the letter on the label of VWFRR as to the age of the whiskey inside up until the whiskey was tanked in stainless. All the bottles I've seen this year are "B"s however. Are these older bottles/ younger whiskey than the say "F"s? Or did the labeling change for 2011?

wripvanwrinkle
11-15-2011, 12:37
But then states with huge whiskey loving populations - like Texas, Pennsylvania & Mass -as just some examples - would never get any, because 95% of online retailers won't ship liquor to them.

Maybe it is time for those states to change their liquor laws...

the problem is with the three-tier system, and state-level control of liquor. Each state has their own rules, and the only control the distiller has is which states it will (or won't) ship to, and how much they'll send - after that, it's in the distributors hands to decide what stores will get it, and then it's up to the store (or their corporate office) to decide who will get it...

Amen, brother! I am 100% behind killing the distributer monopoly.

It's not that much work, really - just be loyal & friendly with the guys who sell you your booze!

I can't agree more (and I feel very comfortable that I will be offered a bottle.) Part of the issue, as Bradley points out, is that our retailers (and perhaps our Distributer) don't even want to deal with the limited editions. 3-6 bottles don't go along way, and tends to divide loyalties. A big store usually has more than 6 big customers...and someone's feelings are going to get hurt. From the retailer's perspective, this is bad news.

To complicate the issue, I shop at more than one store. I am forced to do so because of the unpredictability of local distribution and because of limitations on who normally carries what. I'm very high on the "first call" list at each of these stores. Guess what. If I want them, I'm going to get first pick from each. The same is true for 6 or so other guys. If we all decide to be greedy, there is nothing left for the more casual buyers.

Is any of this bad? I don't know...and that is not my point...

I'm just saying that central distribution makes more sense *if* your goal is to distribute evenly. In effect, this is what is going on with the online auction sites. Local bottles are being scooped up and redistributed through a roughly centralized source.

As I posted earlier though, I don't think that the goal is to achieve even distribution...

timd
11-15-2011, 15:04
Maybe it is time for those states to change their liquor laws...

We can dream, right? Texas just recently started their big push for no shipping - and is blackmailing UPS directly on the matter. Really stinks.

Centralization - were it fair (maybe a lottery system?) would be cool.

However, it'll be hard to ever stop those speculators and eBayers who are happy to double their money on somebody who doesn't have your connections. I do well, and I can almost always get a bottle or two with limited effort, but most of the stores here know who's who, and try hard to split it up and keep any one person from getting everything...

Yes, I've gotten more than my fair share a time or two, but I also readily share/trade with friends, and I drink it all, I've never sold on eBay or price-gouged somebody on a bottle.

As long as we're dreaming, getting rid of the eBay speculators/hogs would be my preference above any of the other actions (except changing Texas state laws, that would be my top pick!)

CaptainQ
11-15-2011, 16:38
We can dream, right?

Hey if we(WA) can do it, Texas can too.

jbroses
11-16-2011, 07:10
Hey if we(WA) can do it, Texas can too.

I live in Massachusetts - it will never happen here. So sad. I've heard that cops actually sometimes wait at the border for people returning from the New Hampshire state liquor store and pull them over to make them pay tax on the booze they're importing into MA. Crazy. They're very protective of the local liquor stores, I guess.

That said, PVW doesn't even distribute to NH (or Maine), so I stick to my local stores trying to get PVWFR/BTAC/etc.

White Dog
11-16-2011, 08:04
I live in Massachusetts - it will never happen here. So sad. I've heard that cops actually sometimes wait at the border for people returning from the New Hampshire state liquor store and pull them over to make them pay tax on the booze they're importing into MA. Crazy. They're very protective of the local liquor stores, I guess.

That said, PVW doesn't even distribute to NH (or Maine), so I stick to my local stores trying to get PVWFR/BTAC/etc.

Unless the cops actually knew certain cars were coming from a New Hampshire liquor store, it sounds like a gross violation of the 4th amendment, not that I'm trying to get all PRNC on this thread.:grin:

CADMixes
11-16-2011, 12:29

You sure about that? NH lists Pappy 20 and Lot B in their system. I'm in Mass too and am pretty down in re: my hopes of getting any Van Winkle this year.

EricABQ
11-16-2011, 18:45
The Van Winkles hit the shelves in Albuquerque today. No 15s anywhere, but a good supply of the 20s, 12s, and both 10s. Even a few bottles of the rye, but they sold out quickly.

The guy at the store was pretty sure the 12s would be gone by the end of the day, but the 10s were selling a little slower.

callmeox
11-16-2011, 18:56
Unless the cops actually knew certain cars were coming from a New Hampshire liquor store, it sounds like a gross violation of the 4th amendment, not that I'm trying to get all PRNC on this thread.:grin:

I have heard stories of Ohio and PA doing the same.

jbroses
11-17-2011, 07:01
You sure about that? NH lists Pappy 20 and Lot B in their system. I'm in Mass too and am pretty down in re: my hopes of getting any Van Winkle this year.

I noticed that NH lists Pappy 20, too, but I asked Julian for a list of his vendors in MA, NH and ME, and he wrote back that he doesn't supply NH or ME. Maybe they can get them through other channels, but I've never actually seen any PVW products in NH or ME.

I'm still holding out hope for PVW15 or 20 - but to tide me over I picked up a BTAC/GTS and a Sazerac Rye yesterday (which I guess is also a once-yearly release?).

BradleyC
11-17-2011, 07:22
I noticed that NH lists Pappy 20, too, but I asked Julian for a list of his vendors in MA, NH and ME, and he wrote back that he doesn't supply NH or ME. Maybe they can get them through other channels, but I've never actually seen any PVW products in NH or ME.

I'm still holding out hope for PVW15 or 20 - but to tide me over I picked up a BTAC/GTS and a Sazerac Rye yesterday (which I guess is also a once-yearly release?).

I don't know how it works, but I do know of at least one other State like this. Nothing gets sent directly to the state from the VW's/BT but it is available via special order. Where those bottles come from and who is willing to give them up, I don't know. I will say however, that this arrangement creates higher prices for us as the consumer.

Chimay
11-17-2011, 16:54
I just picked up a bottle 15 year old here in Maryland, I reserved in mid October it just hit the shelf today. I asked if they had any that were unaccounted for but no was the answer.

jeanraulmitchell
11-18-2011, 13:15
http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2011/11/17/kl-spirits-podcast-21-j-preston-van-winkle.html

Very interesting interview of Preston Van Winkle and what he says about the juice in the 15 yo. I'm definitely going to buy another 20 yr old now since it's SW for a few more years. At least, I still have some older 15's put back but I have to say ORVW 107 is great too.

OtisCampbell
11-18-2011, 14:48
I managed to find a single bottle of Pappy 15 (for $62) and shockingly one of the Family Reserve Rye (for $90) here in MA. I saw the Pappy 20 for $150 and the 23 for $350 but I passed on those... :rolleyes:

RyanL
11-18-2011, 15:24
There seems to be a lot less in my area than what was released this past spring. Luckily I have been able to lock up 3 bottles of VWFRR but several places that I was able to get some 15 and 20yr at in the spring got only lot B.

CaptainQ
11-18-2011, 17:52
I managed to find one of the Family Reserve Rye (for $90) here in MA.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: Crap that's the most I've heard of a retailer charging for the rye. Greedy bastages.

timd
11-18-2011, 19:57
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: Crap that's the most I've heard of a retailer charging for the rye. Greedy bastages.

Same here - most I've paid is $69, but I'm about to pay $72 for my next bottle... And I will do so happily. Not a terrible price for one of the top five best spirits I've put in my mouth!

RyanL
11-18-2011, 20:26
Same here - most I've paid is $69, but I'm about to pay $72 for my next bottle... And I will do so happily. Not a terrible price for one of the top five best spirits I've put in my mouth!

I'm paying $45-50 and it feels like stealing...if only there was more out there to "steal".

Clavius
11-18-2011, 21:51
Got lucky and managed to get two bottles of the 15 year (which is my favorite). The first one required me standing in line for nearly 45 minutes at Liquor Barn. As for the second, well, I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. :)

clingman71
11-19-2011, 05:06
Got lucky and managed to get two bottles of the 15 year (which is my favorite). The first one required me standing in line for nearly 45 minutes at Liquor Barn. As for the second, well, I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. :)

That's the funny thing about bourbon and this forum, people are pretty friendly and open, but only up to a certain point. Some sources never get revealed during the rush.

ggilbertva
11-19-2011, 21:30
Received a phone call from a local liquor store advising me they had one bottle of PVW15 on hold for me.

smokinjoe
11-19-2011, 22:20
Received a phone call from a local liquor store advising me they had one bottle of PVW15 on hold for me.

Wow!!

awachatz
11-19-2011, 23:23
I am still waiting for PVW15 in SE MI, but not luck yet. I hope to get my hands on a bottle or two and continue to check weekly. Has anyone else seen it available yet this fall in MI?

Chris24
11-20-2011, 01:48
I think I put my name on a list at a store in my home town some 18 months ago. They just called me and I scored a PVW13 which I've never found in this state. My mom picked it up this morning and I'll get it at Christmas. Booya-kasha.

Chimay
11-20-2011, 06:28
I'm paying $45-50 and it feels like stealing...if only there was more out there to "steal".

I just paid $58.00 and that included tax.

MacinJosh
11-20-2011, 12:42
You guys all saw the other PVW 15 post right? Some of you may not care but it sounds like this year's is BT juice and not SW.

Here is an interview with Preston Van Winkle. Start at the 14:00 mark.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2011/11/17/kl-spirits-podcast-21-j-preston-van-winkle.html

StraightNoChaser
11-20-2011, 13:24
You guys all saw the other PVW 15 post right? Some of you may not care but it sounds like this year's is BT juice and not SW.

Does that include the Spring release or no?

nivto
11-20-2011, 13:46
Does that include the Spring release or no?

if you have bottles from the spring release, just look at the date stamp on the bottle. i'm pretty sure those should have an earlier date stamp... 2009 maybe?

The bottles in this release from what I've been told have a date stamp of 2011

smokinjoe
11-20-2011, 14:11

Hey, Josh. Are you saying that all bottles from this Fall's release is from whiskey produced at BT?

StraightNoChaser
11-20-2011, 14:14
Ah. Yes. Mine has a 2009 stamp.

silverfish
11-20-2011, 14:14
Hey, Josh. Are you saying that all bottles from this Fall's release is from whiskey produced at BT?

In the podcast, Preston states that the older 2 (20 & 23)
are still SW while the younger stuff is from BT.

smokinjoe
11-20-2011, 15:19
In the podcast, Preston states that the older 2 (20 & 23)
are still SW while the younger stuff is from BT.

Right. I should have specified the 15 yr. But, there seems to be confusion (in my confused world, anyway. :D) as to the provenance of the 15 yr based on what Preston said, and what others are buying. Are we seeing both "old" (2009 bottling, i.e. SW), and "new" (2011 BT), with this Fall release?

Josh
11-20-2011, 15:48
Right. I should have specified the 15 yr. But, there seems to be confusion (in my confused world, anyway. :D) as to the provenance of the 15 yr based on what Preston said, and what others are buying. Are we seeing both "old" (2009 bottling, i.e. SW), and "new" (2011 BT), with this Fall release?

Don't forget Bernheim. There's probably some of that in mix too.

autiger23
11-21-2011, 21:56
Georgia just shipped, thank god for my orders soon!

MacinJosh
11-24-2011, 15:17

According to Preston, yes.

I have several older 2009 15yr's as well and while I have no proof, I'm betting they're not 100% SW either. This is just the first year a Van Winkle has given full disclosure of BT juice.

Here are some pics I took of my bottles the other day. The first one is this year's release code. The others are 2000. Damn hard to find the date code on those older bottles. Buried behind the back label. Had to shine a flashlight through the bottle to be able to see it.

Josh

awachatz
11-24-2011, 19:13

I have several older 2009 15yr's as well and while I have no proof, I'm betting they're not 100% SW either. This is just the first year a Van Winkle has given full disclosure of BT juice.

Here are some pics I took of my bottles the other day. The first one is this year's release code. The others are 2000. Damn hard to find the date code on those older bottles. Buried behind the back label. Had to shine a flashlight through the bottle to be able to see it.

Josh

The question I have is can you taste any difference between the version with SW juice and the version with BT juice?

BroInBourbonMD
11-24-2011, 21:07

Sorry pal....I was #2 in line and got the second of the 2 decantur sets. Not too brag, but the thing is sweet! Haven't opened it, and convinced my wife to let me display it on my office trophy case! This one my stay sealed for awhile. The letter says that it has 114 proof juice verse the normal 95.6 PVW23. Is this common for the decantur set or new for this year?

RegChumpington
11-24-2011, 21:16
Sorry pal....I was #2 in line and got the second of the 2 decantur sets. Not too brag, but the thing is sweet! Haven't opened it, and convinced my wife to let me display it on my office trophy case! This one my stay sealed for awhile. The letter says that it has 114 proof juice verse the normal 95.6 PVW23. Is this common for the decantur set or new for this year?

Sorry to bump in from a different angle here - there's more decanters? I thought it was a one-time thing.

autiger23
11-24-2011, 22:57

You knew of the decanter and also bought it for that price without knowing that minimal info? Wow.

It was a very limited edition that was not released this year and was a one time deal for that and the first time it was bottled at not the regular 23yr old bottle proof.

autiger23
11-24-2011, 22:58
Sorry to bump in from a different angle here - there's more decanters? I thought it was a one-time thing.

It was a one time thing, somehow partysource got a couple extras from the one years ago. There is no new decanter.

RegChumpington
11-24-2011, 23:20
It was a one time thing, somehow partysource got a couple extras from the one years ago. There is no new decanter.

That's what I thought. I was hoping maybe it had come back - I had a 2oz sample from a very generous friend but thought maybe there was a chance to experience more. :) Thanks for the info.

MacinJosh
11-25-2011, 06:06
The question I have is can you taste any difference between the version with SW juice and the version with BT juice?

I have not opened the new 2011 bottle yet.

One of my friends, however, did a side by side and could tell a slight difference. Nothing drastic though.

I can ask his permission to post his tasting notes here if you'd like.

Josh

awachatz
11-25-2011, 08:59
I have not opened the new 2011 bottle yet.

One of my friends, however, did a side by side and could tell a slight difference. Nothing drastic though.

I can ask his permission to post his tasting notes here if you'd like.

Josh

I would be interested in reading his tasting notes if you get a chance to post them.

BroInBourbonMD
11-25-2011, 09:40
You knew of the decanter and also bought it for that price without knowing that minimal info? Wow.

It was a very limited edition that was not released this year and was a one time deal for that and the first time it was bottled at not the regular 23yr old bottle proof.

I'm only 6 months new to this whole wonderful world of bourbon and still have a lot to learn, but I thought the decanters were an annually released item? Do you mind please clarifying for me....was the decanter set itself a one time release or was the non-standard PVW23 proof juice the one time release?

T Comp
11-25-2011, 10:03
I'm only 6 months new to this whole wonderful world of bourbon and still have a lot to learn, but I thought the decanters were an annually released item? Do you mind please clarifying for me....was the decanter set itself a one time release or was the non-standard PVW23 proof juice the one time release?

It was a one time limited edition release under the Old Rip Van Winkle label that came out in November 2009. You can read more about it in this thread here http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13034&highlight=old+rp+van+winkle+23+year+decanter

fishnbowljoe
11-25-2011, 10:05
Again, for clarification, it was a decanter set released in December of 09/January 2010. Old Rip Van Winkle 23 year old 114 proof , not Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 year old at 95.6 proof. Joe

Josh
11-25-2011, 10:52
To add to my honorable friend's photos, see these threads on ORVW 23:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13034

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16601

To me, the Old Rip 23 set disproves the hypothesis that bourbon enthusiasts aren't ever suckered into buying bourbons just because they have fancy packaging.:skep:

BroInBourbonMD
11-25-2011, 13:21
Thanks T Comp, fishnbowljoe, and Josh! I really appreciate the clarification. I'm really glad I didn't pass it up now!

Virus_Of_Life
11-26-2011, 00:27

I'm glad to read someone else has their head on straight in that regard. I don't believe it has been 100% SW for at least a couple years now.

If you've been drinking SW Van Winkle whiskey for a decent length of time, yes, you most likely can. I found the BT version to be sweeter and less complex. Still very good bourbon, but so is Lot B.

jfw
11-26-2011, 08:59
I usually don't post tasting notes, mostly because I'm not very good at it. I didn't do a comparison with an old bottle yet, I just opened a new one.

The only difference I note between this year's PVW 15 and previous years (I'll include PVW 20 and 23 here too) is that I get a little heat (some people call it the red hots/candy/cinnamon taste) that I always seem to get from Eagle Rare or Lot B. I didn't pick this up from previous bottlings of PVW 15, 20, 23 or JRPS.

One day here, I'll give it a side-by-side with older versions, the 20, 23, JRPS and some dusty Old Fitz to really see what I can discern. But, Julian has done quite a good job in matching the previous PVWs with this release.

IMHO, it's not exactly the same, but it's still damn good. But that was to be expeced from the Van Winkles's wasn't it?

Hope this helps in some small way...

Joe

awachatz
11-26-2011, 17:43
I usually don't post tasting notes, mostly because I'm not very good at it. I didn't do a comparison with an old bottle yet, I just opened a new one.

The only difference I note between this year's PVW 15 and previous years (I'll include PVW 20 and 23 here too) is that I get a little heat (some people call it the red hots/candy/cinnamon taste) that I always seem to get from Eagle Rare or Lot B. I didn't pick this up from previous bottlings of PVW 15, 20, 23 or JRPS.

One day here, I'll give it a side-by-side with older versions, the 20, 23, JRPS and some dusty Old Fitz to really see what I can discern. But, Julian has done quite a good job in matching the previous PVWs with this release.

IMHO, it's not exactly the same, but it's still damn good. But that was to be expeced from the Van Winkles's wasn't it?

Hope this helps in some small way...

Joe

Thanks for the review Joe.

MacinJosh
11-26-2011, 19:48
Still working on getting my buddy's review. Stand by....

Josh

stevegoz
11-28-2011, 14:15
Busy day for ORVW Distillery, or at least for its Facebook updater....

Maryland order has shipped

Nashville, Knoxville, and Memphis area orders have shipped.

Central and Norther Illinois have shipped.

South Carolina has shipped.

Jonny.Applebury
11-28-2011, 14:40
Busy day for ORVW Distillery, or at least for its Facebook updater....

The Memphis update is late. I was in Memphis on Wednesday of last week and the retailers had received their allocations that very day. I picked some up, and by the time I checked back on Saturday there was no rye or 15 year old to be bought. Some retailers were holding rye and 15 year old bottles for customers who had reserved them. I visited over two dozen liquor stores, so I'm confident the area has been cleaned out. Some bottles may become available as some of the retailers said they were only holding the bottles for customers for a week before putting them on the shelves.

I noticed that the Facebook update for Wisconsin was late, as well. I had a bottle of rye in my hands before the shipping notification was posted.

luther.r
11-28-2011, 15:26
Strangely, I was at a small store here in Chicago yesterday who told me they already had their case in the back, but were going down the list of reservations before making any available. The next store I stopped by told me the distributor didn't even have the stuff yet.

ethangsmith
11-28-2011, 16:16
I have a bottle of VWFRR sitting at the store for me.........

Smithford
11-28-2011, 17:06
If you live in Ontario (as I do), the Pappy Allocation is nothing more than a mythical fairy tale from a far away land. Occasionally, but rarely, we may see some Lot B or some ORVW 10/90. But never has the likeness of Pappy himself adorned the shelves of our state-run liquor monopoly.

So you can imagine my sheer joy when my girlfriend happened to pick this past weekend for a Manhattan shopping trip. And my utter astonishment, on entering Warehouse Wines & Spirits to find almost the complete lineup of Van Winkle goodies. Despite a "one bottle per customer" policy, we managed to snag a PVW 20 and a VWFRR (there were two of us, after all). I've never seen either offered for sale on a retail shelf, nor do I expect to again soon.

Staff told me that they came in Friday. When I was there on Saturday, there was no 15 left. The 20 and 23 were all gone by Sunday (I got the last bottle). They did still have some Rye and Lot B as of mid-Sunday afternoon, and they said they had "lots" of both (just in case anyone happens to be in the neighborhood).

jfw
11-28-2011, 18:53
The facebook page is way behind. The MD allocation hit the shelves over a week ago.

CADMixes
11-29-2011, 09:00
The Julio's lottery for purchase was deeply unkind to me. Insult to injury during a lousy couple weeks.

Brisko
11-29-2011, 09:22
Any fellow Minnesotans seen the rye recently? I know we don't get a ton of Van Winkles but I do at least see Lot B and 10/107 (and 10/90) from time to time.

MacinJosh
11-29-2011, 09:47
I have a bottle of VWFRR sitting at the store for me.........

Very nice. Would LOVE to try this one day. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Josh

Tony
11-29-2011, 10:11
Finally showing up in Michigan, happy hunting to all.

Best regards, tony

dridge11
11-29-2011, 13:14
Looks like a buddy of mine found me a PVW20 in CO. Supposedly headed my way as an early Christmas gift!

GreggJ
11-29-2011, 13:32
Looks like i struck out on most of the PVW line-up but, I did win a lottery to purchase a PVW20. Can't wait to crack this bad boy for the holidays.

I have never had the pleasure of the PVW20 but, hey I am planning on grabbing all SW juice I can get my hands on.

OtisCampbell
11-29-2011, 14:32
The Julio's lottery for purchase was deeply unkind to me. Insult to injury during a lousy couple weeks.

I won a single PVWFRR in that lottery.. I was kind of bummed too but I guess I can't complain with the way things are going.. I am going to definitely stock up on their single barrel Weller Antique when I head out this weekend. :grin:

Ejmharris
11-29-2011, 19:25
Sorry to be the newbie in the group, but any chance any if the PVW's are still available in the Cincinnati area or northern Kentucky. Was at party source last Tuesday and Deps with no luck. Not willing to pay eBay prices. I am eager to give one of the PVW's a shot after reading all the posts on this forum.

Clavius
11-29-2011, 19:32
Sorry to be the newbie in the group, but any chance any if the PVW's are still available in the Cincinnati area or northern Kentucky. Was at party source last Tuesday and Deps with no luck. Not willing to pay eBay prices. It eager to give one of the PVW's a shot after reading all the posts on this forum.

I highly doubt that you'll find any in Kentucky. Seems like everyone and their mom is looking for the stuff. At least, that's the way it is here in Lexington. As for Cincinnati/Ohio I have no idea.

sob0728
11-30-2011, 12:58
Any fellow Minnesotans seen the rye recently? I know we don't get a ton of Van Winkles but I do at least see Lot B and 10/107 (and 10/90) from time to time.

I was at Zipps on E Franklin in Mpls today and they have the Rye for $53.99. There were at least 3 bottles there (they only allow you to buy one per customer). They had at least one bottle of all the Van Winkle products except for the Pappys.

If you want any of the Pappys they have them all on the Haskells website so you can get them shipped to whatever Haskells is closest to you. They are about $63 for the PVW15, $120 for PVW20 and $230 for PVW23 or something close to that.

MacinJosh
11-30-2011, 13:17
I would be interested in reading his tasting notes if you get a chance to post them.

Here you go. Reviewed by Cigarnv:

"Mike sent me a sample of the 2009 and the 2011.... my thoughts are as follows...

2009 - Beautiful and forward nose of caramel, brown sugar and vanilla. The nose is very sweet, creamy and has no alcohol. The taste is sweet, caramel, vanilla, candied fruit with hints of chocolate drifting in and out. Mouth coating with very nice complexity and a long, sweet finish. Near perfect transition from entry to finish with no bitterness. Some heat is present on the back end but not enough to distract one from attractiveness of this whiskey.

2011 - A nice nose of brown sugar, caramel notes and vanilla. I don't find the nose of the 2011 as forward or as sweet. The taste is sweet on the entry but the sweetness falls off very quickly. It is a bit hotter than the 2009 as well as lacking the forward vanilla notes. The mouth feel is much thinner and a bit more drying than coating. The finish is very short and lacking in flavor concentration and sweetness. No where near the complexity or balance that I found in the 2009. The sweetness is much more brown sugar than caramel.

IMO these are very different bourbons with the 2009 being head and shoulders above the 2011. I am not sure if this 2011 bottle is a bit off or it is a good example of what is in the 2011 bottling overall. I would not be a buyer of the 2011 Pappy 15 if this sample is representative of the release this year."

Josh
11-30-2011, 15:33
Nice tasting notes. Where were those posted?

jcg9779
11-30-2011, 15:46
That is an interesting review. I'll probably still pick up a bottle of the 2011 to try. If it's good and close enough then I'll happily drink it and save my older stuff!

Brisko
11-30-2011, 17:42
I was at Zipps on E Franklin in Mpls today and they have the Rye for $53.99. There were at least 3 bottles there (they only allow you to buy one per customer). They had at least one bottle of all the Van Winkle products except for the Pappys.

If you want any of the Pappys they have them all on the Haskells website so you can get them shipped to whatever Haskells is closest to you. They are about $63 for the PVW15, $120 for PVW20 and $230 for PVW23 or something close to that.

Thanks for the tip, I got the last rye at Zipps. All other pappys were long gone. Fyi we typically keep specifics limited to pm's; there are a lot of people who read these boards who never bother to post or even sign up. But thanks, again. I wonder how much allocation Hskell's gets. There isn't a lot here to begin with. My main BTAC source barely gets any VW even though they get half of Minnesota's BTAC allocation.

tigerlam92
12-01-2011, 13:29
Here you go. Reviewed by Cigarnv:

"Mike sent me a sample of the 2009 and the 2011.... my thoughts are as follows...

2009 - Beautiful and forward nose of caramel, brown sugar and vanilla. The nose is very sweet, creamy and has no alcohol. The taste is sweet, caramel, vanilla, candied fruit with hints of chocolate drifting in and out. Mouth coating with very nice complexity and a long, sweet finish. Near perfect transition from entry to finish with no bitterness. Some heat is present on the back end but not enough to distract one from attractiveness of this whiskey.

2011 - A nice nose of brown sugar, caramel notes and vanilla. I don't find the nose of the 2011 as forward or as sweet. The taste is sweet on the entry but the sweetness falls off very quickly. It is a bit hotter than the 2009 as well as lacking the forward vanilla notes. The mouth feel is much thinner and a bit more drying than coating. The finish is very short and lacking in flavor concentration and sweetness. No where near the complexity or balance that I found in the 2009. The sweetness is much more brown sugar than caramel.

IMO these are very different bourbons with the 2009 being head and shoulders above the 2011. I am not sure if this 2011 bottle is a bit off or it is a good example of what is in the 2011 bottling overall. I would not be a buyer of the 2011 Pappy 15 if this sample is representative of the release this year."

Thanks for the notes! Can I assume the 2011 bottle had a chance to breath? It normally opens up a little after a while. If not, this is concerning for me as well. Luckily I have bunker only the older bottles. I would be interested to see more tasting notes from others and other bottles.

Cheers
--Hugh

Tony
12-01-2011, 15:12
Howdy All:

I hope you are great.

Got another 20 today and found a Rye, another good day.

Best regards, tony

stevegoz
12-01-2011, 21:34
Totally torn...are two VWFRR > one PVW 20?

Beer&Bourbon
12-01-2011, 21:44

In a word: yes, but I think the rye is one of the best I've ever had (at an incredibly reasonable price).

AaronWF
12-01-2011, 22:08

Get all of them. Then get in touch with me (fellow Chicagoan), I'll give you $100 and you can decide then.

tritioch
12-02-2011, 09:06
VanWinkles are up in Rochester NY, and so are the prices:shocked: ORVW 10s, & Pappy 12 came in wholesale higher than they were retail last year. I also noticed that the PVW23yr that came in had a bottling date of 2009 on the case:skep:?? Has PVW23yr gone the way of Saz 18 with glass tanks, or is this an aberration?

timd
12-02-2011, 10:42
Much greater.

I'd take (and I will...) a single PVWFRR over any other offering in the Pappy lineup.

In fact, this year is ALL about the Rye - won't even be picking up another bottle of any kind. Instead I'll buy 2 Ryes (if I can...), and then pick up a bottle of Weller 12 & OWA 107 and I'll be every bit as happy as I would have been with a couple of 12 & 15 Pappys

awachatz
12-04-2011, 07:09
Still trying to find a bottle of PVW15 and VWFRR in SE Michigan. Anybody have any suggestions? I refuse to pay "ebay" like prices that some retailers are asking.

jburlowski
12-04-2011, 18:30
VanWinkles are up in Rochester NY, and so are the prices:shocked: ORVW 10s, & Pappy 12 came in wholesale higher than they were retail last year. I also noticed that the PVW23yr that came in had a bottling date of 2009 on the case:skep:?? Has PVW23yr gone the way of Saz 18 with glass tanks, or is this an aberration?

Julian has been bottling barrels when they reach the right maturation rather than tanking them. (At least that's what he said he did with the 15s.) That could be what happened in your case.

Josh
12-04-2011, 19:11
Still trying to find a bottle of PVW15 and VWFRR in SE Michigan. Anybody have any suggestions? I refuse to pay "ebay" like prices that some retailers are asking.

Nope, but if you find some place, let me know!:grin:

SMOWK
12-07-2011, 08:07

Just wait until the "eBayers" buy those bottles and then put them on eBay.

luther.r
12-07-2011, 11:17
I lucked out and got a few bottles of Pappy 20 this fall. I'd love to try some less-aged and stronger SW Van Winkles, so I'm offering a couple 20s as trade bait for the following:

-Pappy 15 2008 or older
-ORVW 15
-ORVW 10/107, 2001 or older

PM me if you'd like to work something out for one of these bottles. I'm in Chicago but willing to ship within the US.

CaptainQ
12-07-2011, 14:09
-ORVW 15

Really?! :crazy: Well , I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. :shocked:

hectic1
12-07-2011, 14:16
Really?! :crazy: Well , I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. :shocked:
I was thinking the same thing Dave...;)

luther.r
12-07-2011, 14:44
I was thinking the same thing Dave...;)

Well everybody's always talking about their bunkers around here..:bowdown:
and I never said some cash couldn't be part of the swap too!