PDA

View Full Version : Masterson's Rye

cowdery
08-19-2011, 15:16
Has anyone heard of this one (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/16/idUS200259+16-Aug-2011+BW20110816) yet? The 10-year-old part makes me think it might be another WhistlePig-Jefferson's.

Jono
08-19-2011, 16:41
$79 sounds like a sucker buy...aimed at those who purchase for appearance and bottle uniqueness. IF it tastes far superior to other ryes fine...but somehow I doubt most people will pop for it.

p_elliott
08-19-2011, 21:28
An entire page of reading that didn't tell you one damn thing about the whiskey but we know all about Bat Masterson.

barturtle
08-20-2011, 07:19
It's Canadian Rye.

tmckenzie
08-20-2011, 12:44
Wonder why we are seeing som many Canadian ryes out of what I would guess is the same distillery, Alberta Distillers? Are they in financial trouble and are needing to sell stock off? Interesting.

cowdery
08-20-2011, 15:26
It's not necessarily Alberta. Just because their output is 100% rye doesn't mean they're the only Canadian distillery that makes a 100% rye flavoring whiskey. On the other hand, Alberta is owned by Beam and Beam's focus now is on Canadian Club, which is made by Pernod but sold by Beam, so it's possible Beam is phasing out Alberta.

I don't know but I suspect Pernod, since I know they were the source for a lot of the whiskey High West and others have acquired.

It does seem odd that someone would have that much 10-year-old (or older) straight rye that they suddenly don't need.

BradleyC
08-22-2011, 17:11
Wonder why we are seeing som many Canadian ryes out of what I would guess is the same distillery, Alberta Distillers? Are they in financial trouble and are needing to sell stock off? Interesting.

My guess is the startup distilleries who don't have any product to sell will pay more per barrel than the Canadian blenders.

sku
08-24-2011, 12:01
Yeah, a ten year old, 100% rye Canadian. Sounds exactly like the WhistlePig/Jefferson Rye.

Jono
08-24-2011, 22:37
Online price range for Whistle Pig $64-71 and Jefferson's $42....why pay $79 for the bottle and story?

BFerguson
11-12-2011, 13:23
Saw this in the store today and almost pulled the trigger on it.

I've had Jefferon's, and it didn't really do much for me. Tempted to pull it out of banishment from the cellar tonight and give it another go.

Read that it is better than Jeff, but not quite Whistlepig. And I do love other high rye bottles-Bulleit and Willett Rye-assuming the Willett is the LDI 95% rye mashblll-great pour.

Since this has been out a bit already, has anybody had a chance to try it??

B

MacinJosh
11-13-2011, 10:49
Has anyone had Jefferson's and actually thought it stood up well to WhistlePig?

I was going to get a bottle at our Binny's Fling but got talked out of it and grabbed a WhistlePig (which I've had several times and love).

I'd love to try the Jefferson's sometime.

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrviognier
11-22-2011, 14:29
Has anyone had Jefferson's and actually thought it stood up well to WhistlePig?

My first taste of Jefferson's had me thinking it WAS WhistlePig at a lower proof. My second taste of Jefferson's convinced me I didn't need to pay twice as much for WP.

MacinJosh
11-24-2011, 15:10
I still plan on doing a side by side (thanks to Brent) but haven't had any free time to do so!

Worked 12 hours today. :-( And I work 36 hours this weekend.

Hopefully next week I can squeeze a tasting in.

Josh

BFerguson
11-24-2011, 18:12
Mat, welcome back, seems like its been awhile since I've seen you around. Glad that you liked the Jeff, tried as I could, it just didn't do anything. It was very one dimensional to me. I need something more than that.

Josh, you are welcome. Folks have been good to me, and just repaying in kind.

Thinking of cracking open a Masterson's tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed on the flavor, hoping for a better turnout than the Jeff.

If not, might be a three way comparison..........:grin:

B

MacinJosh
11-25-2011, 06:12
Mat, welcome back, seems like its been awhile since I've seen you around. Glad that you liked the Jeff, tried as I could, it just didn't do anything. It was very one dimensional to me. I need something more than that.

Josh, you are welcome. Folks have been good to me, and just repaying in kind.

Thinking of cracking open a Masterson's tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed on the flavor, hoping for a better turnout than the Jeff.

If not, might be a three way comparison..........:grin:

B

Haha!

Josh

WhiskyToWhiskey
03-30-2012, 09:15
Did a search for Masterson's and found this thread.

Well....any opinions yet for those who tried this?

sku
03-30-2012, 09:25
Did a search for Masterson's and found this thread.

Well....any opinions yet for those who tried this?

I liked it. It is, indeed, very similar to WhistlePig.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2012/01/sonoma-whiskey-part-i-mastersons-rye.html

WhiskyToWhiskey
03-30-2012, 12:46
Nice review sku. I read the comments at bottom...

Jason Beatty said...
For the price, I was expecting a lot more from this Masterson's whiskey. I sure hope Canadians can get this at $25 a bottle because that's the price point it is equivalent to.

Lol..if this is $65-$70 a bottle in USA, it would be $125-$150 up here in Canada.

Smithford
09-12-2012, 08:15
Lol..if this is $65-$70 a bottle in USA, it would be $125-$150 up here in Canada.

Sadly W2W, your guess was not far off.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/searchResults.do?ITEM_NUMBER=289488&language=EN

Pass.

jburlowski
09-13-2012, 16:44
Seen this recently at several local retailers. Felt absolutely no desire to make a purchase.

mrviognier
09-15-2012, 10:52
Have tasted all three - WP, Jeff's and Masterson's - in one setting. Qualitatively, WP was the hands-down winner, with Jefferson's coming in second...and definitely the best buy of the three. Masterson's was a distant third.

MacinJosh
09-16-2012, 13:39
Have tasted all three - WP, Jeff's and Masterson's - in one setting. Qualitatively, WP was the hands-down winner, with Jefferson's coming in second...and definitely the best buy of the three. Masterson's was a distant third.

Cosign.

~extra filler due to minimum character restriction, ignore~

tmckenzie
09-17-2012, 05:44
Maybe it has been discussed somehwer on here, but I cannot find it. We knew the rye that is making up these bottlings was 100 percent rye. I think I was told it was raw rye with enzymes. But Raj posted on FB a video the other day about WP. He said in the video that WP is 100 percent rye malt. They shoed a close up of the label on a barrel. I could not beleive what the barrel proof was. I think I saw 155 proof.

cowdery
09-17-2012, 20:19
I am very skeptical of the claim that WP is 100 percent rye malt. If it is, then it should be labeled as such, since such a type is anticipated in the TTB rules, and the rules say you should carry the designation that best applies.

White Dog
09-17-2012, 20:36
Well, if the TTB rules say so, then I'm sure it will happen...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gillman
10-26-2012, 17:14
This is now available in Toronto and I picked one up. The bottle says Batch 3.

This is the best of the three straight ryes said to be from the same source. It has a super-soft mouthfeel and a refined, elegant flavour, yet is very much on the straight whiskey vector.

It reminded me of a very good wheater in quality at about the same age, e.g. Lot B.

Although confected from all-rye, I don't really get pronounced or almost any rye notes. It tastes (to me) like a very smooth bourbon.

It shows once again the variety that issues from Canadian distilleries in terms of the so-called flavouring whiskeys. E.g., its apparent stablemate Dark Horse (i.e., made at the same location, Alberta Distillers, if indeed that's true), could not be more different. Dark Horse is more like Don Outterson's whiskeys, full of feisty pot still character, or like Versailles make or Anchor's ryes, say. Masterson's is a more refined take on the whiskey idea despite the frontier imagery evoked by the liberal narrative on the package. It's rather overdone IMO, but that's me - I'd rather this have come in a plainer package with 1/3rd or more knocked off the price.

Anyway, this is top-of-the-line - the best Canadian-made whisky I have had. Lot No. 40 is a good and interesting product and well-priced but not in the same league, ditto for Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve and Wiser's Legacy, IMO again.

Gary

tmckenzie
10-27-2012, 08:00
I keep hearing Lot 40 is on the market again, are you seiing it in Canada? I would love to see it brought into the uS, but cannot find out if or when it will be.

Gillman
10-27-2012, 10:01
It is on the market again Tom, mostly in and around Toronto. Niagara Falls doesn't have any, or at this time.

I'd bring you one but I don't know when I get can down to your area and with winter approaching soon..

It is the best release so far, connected to the one before but not as congeneric IMO and better balanced.

Gary

MacinJosh
10-27-2012, 10:05
I really need to try Masterson's again as my first and only impression was very sub-par. Well below WhistkePig and even Jefferson's. I was very disappointed.

Perhaps I need to try this batch 3 Gary. You've definitely got me curious.

Gillman
10-27-2012, 10:21
It's very good Josh, I hadn't tried the earlier batches so I can't say about those. (And we know batches can vary). I do like WP and Jefferson's a lot too but this one stands ahead IMO. I wonder if in part it is the water they are using in Sonoma to take it to bottle strength, it is rainwater soft and brings out all the whisky has to offer. By the way tasting it again I am getting rosewater-like complexities which I recall from old-time bourbons that were rye-heavy and e.g. from the old Michter's. The rye does show but in a very particular and attractive way. The people who distilled and selected this know exactly what they are doing IMO, no question.

Gary

portwood
10-27-2012, 13:24
Anyway, this is top-of-the-line - the best Canadian-made whisky I have had. Lot No. 40 is a good and interesting product and well-priced but not in the same league, ditto for Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve and Wiser's Legacy, IMO again.
Gary

It may be good ... but IMO its not $110 good! If the whisky was bottled in Canada by the producer it would probably retail for under $50!!!

I haven't tried the FC copper pot reserve but, for the same money, I'll take three bottles of Lot no 40 or 2 bottles of Wiser's Legacy over one fancy box of Mastersons.

Gillman
10-27-2012, 14:00
I agree about the pricing, I think it's unfortunate. It's a very good whiskey and doesn't need all the marketing paraphernalia IMO, which must add to the cost. The other whiskeys are much better value.

Gary

silverfish
10-27-2012, 16:46
A check at wine-searcher show a number of US sellers offering this for
under $80. and a few who ship to my state have it priced under $60.
Reading the comments here make this sound like something worth
trying at that price.

The US/Canada $ is about even - any idea why the US price is almost half
the Canadian?

portwood
10-27-2012, 18:58
The US/Canada $ is about even - any idea why the US price is almost half
the Canadian?

Canadians have been asking that question for .... ever!

ALL alcohol is more expensive in Canada than the US - even Canadian whisky! It has to do with two basic factors:
1. higher sin taxes and duties
2. all stores (exept in Alberta) are state controlled

The Mastersons is especially irksome - to me. The whisky was distilled and matured in Canada, shipped in bulk to the US, packaged in the US, shipped back to Canada. You do the math ... multiple sets of mark-ups (producer, bottler, distributor in Canada*), add taxes on the original product in Canada, taxes in the US, and duties and taxes to bring it back to Canada.
If the whisky in the Mastersons bottle was put on the market by the Canadian producer, it would probably retail for <$50 - the price of Wiser's Legacy.

* note that the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO, who claim to be one of the largest alcohol purchasers in the world) purchase most items (it might be all items) from distributors. You would thing that with such purchasing power they would deal directly with the producers, right? They don't.

tmckenzie
10-28-2012, 06:10
A store here has it for 65, still to rich for me.

MacinJosh
10-28-2012, 11:36
I've seen it around $60ish

Shell
11-10-2012, 15:09

The Mastersons is especially irksome - to me. The whisky was distilled and matured in Canada, shipped in bulk to the US, packaged in the US, shipped back to Canada. You do the math ... multiple sets of mark-ups (producer, bottler, distributor in Canada*), add taxes on the original product in Canada, taxes in the US, and duties and taxes to bring it back to Canada. ...

If Masterson's Rye is bottled in the U.S. (and sold in the U.S.), why is it shipped it back to Canada? Are bottles shipped to distributors directly from Canada? It seems more logical/economical to have the bottles shipped to the distributors directly.

jburlowski
11-12-2012, 10:53
This is now available in Toronto and I picked one up. The bottle says Batch 3.

This is the best of the three straight ryes said to be from the same source. It has a super-soft mouthfeel and a refined, elegant flavour, yet is very much on the straight whiskey vector.

It reminded me of a very good wheater in quality at about the same age, e.g. Lot B.

Although confected from all-rye, I don't really get pronounced or almost any rye notes. It tastes (to me) like a very smooth bourbon...

Spotted some of the Batch 3 locally and, based on Gary's recommendation, picked up a bottle.

Gillman
11-12-2012, 11:38
John, I'd be very interested in your take on this. I think it is the best we've ever produced in this country but it needs neat drinking for maximum impact IMO.

Regarding bottling Stateside and subsequent importation, I would think it is shipped in bulk to California where it is cut and bottled, then released for U.S. sale mainly, but some is sent back here. I don't think Canada is the primary market, I'd think the expected sales here were not thought large enough to warrant a domestic release. True, it could be sold here and exported in bottled form, but I would think again there must have been tax or other reasons to do it the other way.

Gary

MacinJosh
11-15-2012, 08:46
Spotted some of the Batch 3 locally and, based on Gary's recommendation, picked up a bottle.

John, what's a bottle run approximately?

Have not seen any in these parts.

jburlowski
11-16-2012, 19:54
John, what's a bottle run approximately?

Have not seen any in these parts.

IIRC, about $63... I could be off by a few $.

MacinJosh
11-24-2012, 20:43
I saw a Masterson's Rye at TPS when I was in your area the other day John. I didn't see anywhere on the box indicating which batch it is. Any insight?

jburlowski
11-25-2012, 11:49
I saw a Masterson's Rye at TPS when I was in your area the other day John. I didn't see anywhere on the box indicating which batch it is. Any insight?

The one I got (from TPS) was Batch 3. it's written on the front of the bottle right below the label.

MacinJosh
11-26-2012, 10:48
The one I got (from TPS) was Batch 3. it's written on the front of the bottle right below the label.

Well that might explain why I couldn't see it. The bottle was in the box and there was no way to see the front label without opening it.

MacinJosh
12-20-2012, 15:05
John B. was kind enough to send me a sample of batch #3. The following are my thoughts.

Masterson's Rye Batch #3. 10yr, 100% Canadian Rye, 45% (90 proof)

Color: Light brown with a yellow tint.

Nose: Soft and perfumey, the scents slowly elevate from the glass. Nothing overpowering here. Baked rye bread, ginger snaps, and coffee cake. This is a very elegant, easy nose that deserves your time. A touch of cinnamon butter and a hint of nutmeg. Outstanding!

Taste: Very subtle, soft, spicy entry. A quick dash of pepper that rapidly changes to toasted rye bread. Ground turmeric and dry mustard emerge and give this one an earthy, slightly pungent, bitter flavor up front. This note has faded with the 3rd and 4th sip as well as some time in the glass, but it's still present. Allspice and ground cardamon spring up mid-palate. Baking spices play throughout with a soft hint of oregano on exit.

Finish: Mildly bitter with notes of bay leaf and cloves. Medium length, there is the slightest tangy, dill weed presence as this one begins to fade.

Rating: This was so close to being an epic rye and another stellar offering from Alberta, Canada. It has an exceptional nose and a very well rounded, refined palate. But that bitter turmeric, dry mustard note cannot be denied and lurks within every sip. Unfortunately, this is a deal breaker for me. I know this one frequently gets lumped in with Whistle Pig and Jefferson's, but to my palate, it is night and day different. Whistle Pig is still head of the class with Jefferson's coming in 2nd and Masterson's bringing up the rear. This aligns with my previous assessment of Masterson's Batch #1 as I came to the same conclusion. In the end, I'm still reaching for the Whistle Pig with the Jefferson's not too far behind. I'm scoring this one an 85.

Thanks for the sample John!!!!

theglobalguy
05-18-2013, 16:03
Awesome tasting notes. I just managed to find a batch #3 at my local shop. Kept thinking "man this reminds me of indian food", couldn't place the spices. Having not tried the other two (Whistle Pig and Jeffersons) i'm giving this 1st place of 1 for Canadian Ryes i've tried!

Need to find an excuse to grab the Jeffersons next time i'm there.

Gillman
11-04-2013, 19:07
I'm going to update now with a Batch 5 assessment.

The Masterson rye: sourced at LCBO this week, $75.00 (price has come down over 25% recently).

Nose: only light chemical notes, warm smoked wood, very light spice

Taste: sweeter and richer than earlier batches I've had, seemingly more mature (older?). Wood better integrated with the distillery notes. Very well balanced, smooth and glycerine-like, but you still get the straight character especially in the finish.

Overall: Best batch ever IMO, and a comparative bargain considering the price drop.

Gary

Trey Manthey
11-05-2013, 20:56
I decided to pick up a Batch 5 today when I saw it for $57.

I wasn't expecting a revelation, but it's good quality. I like it more than Ritt BIB and Baby Saz in a side by side, so it beats the value competition. As you mentioned, Gary, the balance and silky smooth mouthfeel really make it a nice sipper. I want to crack open a new bottle of Rendezvous Rye to compare, which is my current favorite in the mid-priced rye category.

I also tried a 50/50 of Masterson's and Baby Saz, which was nice.

Gillman
11-06-2013, 05:12
I like that vatting of ryes! I feel current Rendezvous is not as good as Masterson's and the bulk of it surely is (at 6 years age with a seasoning of 16) considerably younger of course. I was considering a mingle of these latter two but don't think it would work. Funny you mentioned Baby Saz because the Masterson reminds me somewhat of it...

Gary

JamesW
11-06-2013, 12:48
I'm going to update now with a Batch 5 assessment.

The Masterson rye: sourced at LCBO this week, $75.00 (price has come down over 25% recently).

Nose: only light chemical notes, warm smoked wood, very light spice

Taste: sweeter and richer than earlier batches I've had, seemingly more mature (older?). Wood better integrated with the distillery notes. Very well balanced, smooth and glycerine-like, but you still get the straight character especially in the finish.

Overall: Best batch ever IMO, and a comparative bargain considering the price drop.

Gary

I too picked one up at the LCBO on sale last week. I like it well enough but, to be sure, I wouldn't consider paying anywhere near full price. @ $75, its ok, but it doesn't compare to similarly priced (though much harder to find) BTAC Sazerac 18, Handy or VW Rye. At over $100 reg price, it's in the realm of Van Winkle pricing and for a 10 yr old whiskey, that's too high for my tastes.

Gillman
11-06-2013, 15:34
I liked it, as good as those others I think but remember too two of them are much older than Masterson's.

Gary

TunnelTiger
11-09-2013, 08:42
Saw this yesterday for the first but I passed because I couldn't recall any posts about it and the fact that it was $69.99. After reading this thread I think I'll leave it as I am very fond of WP @ the same price and Jeff 10 @ almost half.

squire
11-09-2013, 09:25
I'd go with the Jeff. Haven't tasted the two side by side but absent a sprinkling of Pixie dust can't imagine the Masterson's being twice as good.

Gillman
11-09-2013, 13:26
They are similar but the Jeff is a little rougher, IMO.

Gary

WhiskyToWhiskey
03-01-2014, 13:11
Just tried Batch #5. It's great. Vanilla, oak, spice, slightly smokey, a small hint of mint. With a bit of time in the glass, less mint and more oak comes forward. My last sample was Batch #3, this one is even better than what I can remember of #3.

portwood
03-01-2014, 14:50
Just tried Batch #5. It's great. Vanilla, oak, spice, slightly smokey, a small hint of mint. With a bit of time in the glass, less mint and more oak comes forward. My last sample was Batch #3, this one is even better than what I can remember of #3.
Card Player, is that you?

WhiskyToWhiskey
03-01-2014, 16:34
Card Player, is that you?

Ya, I post as Card Player...older brother of Y2M.