PDA

View Full Version : Jack Daniel's Single Barrel

TBoner
08-21-2011, 18:33
I have never bought JDSB; never tasted it, in fact. However, as I've lately begun tasting whiskeys again, and have renewed my love affair with Dickel, I thought I'd give "the other Tennessee whiskey" a try. I picked up a 2011 Ducks Unlimited bottle earlier this week. It was under $40, so why not.

These are the first tasting notes I've posted in some time, but I've been doing a lot of tasting and writing notes lately. Hopefully these aren't too far off the mark.

First, the bottle info: Rick No. R-16; Barrel No. 11-2663; Bottled 6-1-11.

I tasted this in a nice sherry copita glass.

Appearance: Orange blossom honey. Long, slender, slow-moving legs

Nose: Grilled sweet corn; buttercream frosting; maple-iced donut

Palate: Big entry full of fat corn notes, followed almost immediately by pecans, fruit, and maple in the middle - add some saged sausage and you've got breakfast. The fruit, btw, is not banana, but rather some citrus, a bit of peach or some other stone fruit, and maybe something tropical - pineapple? mango? Nice, full mouthfeel enhanced by a vanilla backbone that serves to underscore and meld the other assorted notes.

Finish: Long, deep, maple-rich with some light cinnamon and another dollop of vanilla cream. Maybe a touch of caramel.

This is some very good whiskey. I wish I'd tried it sooner. It won't replace my favorite pours, most of which are less expensive and not as sweet, but this is a great option when out, I think, and probably worth keeping around as an after-dinner dram. I like Dickel 12, and I think it's a better value, but I have only had one or two bottles of that whiskey than can compare to this. Really nice indeed.

I know Gary and a few others here are fans. Count me in that camp.

Best,
Tim

Parkersback
08-21-2011, 18:52
Good notes, Tim. That sounds similar to the memory I have of JDSB, of which I am a fan. But at $46 at my favorite store, I'll buy it only rarely. Not sure at what price point I would buy it more often. But when I can get great 12 year olds for less than $25 (Weller 12, EC12) or quality single barrels (ETL, EWSB) for about the same, $46 is tough to pay.

I usually have a hard time paying more than $35 for anything other than something extremely rare (BTAC, Van Winkle).

Gillman
08-21-2011, 19:10
Good notes, thanks Tim.

Gary

TBoner
08-22-2011, 20:23
Thanks, guys. Glad to see my tasting skills aren't totally rusty.

Gary, thanks for beating the drum for this one for so long; I remember you praising it some years ago when no one else really talked about it. Glad I finally listened.

Best,
Tim

ebo
08-26-2011, 16:06
I'm a big fan of Dickel 12. That said... I really like the JDSB. I can get it for under $40.00 also. I agree with your tasting notes. I'm always dumbfounded by how nuch I like the JDSB , but I have no love at all for old #7.

fishnbowljoe
08-28-2011, 18:22
JDSB is kinda growing on me a bit too. I bought a private bottling from 2001 a few weeks ago. I liked it well enough that I picked up a regular bottle yesterday. Like I posted in the 'What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today' thread, I couldn't pass it up. The sticker price was $25.99. :cool:

I agree with some of your tasting notes Tim. I also get the maple glazed doughnut and corn on the nose. The taste for me was a hint of maple and pecans, but instead of a fruit, I thought it was more like cotton candy or bubble gum. A pretty decent pour IMHO. My JD drinking bowling buddies will be surprised the next time they come over. :grin: Joe

Gillman
08-28-2011, 18:43
Joe, it really has improved in recent years. Something has changed - for the better.

Gary

cards81fan
01-10-2012, 19:57
This is actually one of my favorite pours, of any spirit. I think your review is spot on, though I get more vanilla notes all the way through from nowe to finish. Which is perhaps why I like it so much; While not a big desserts fan, I am a fan of coffees and milkshakes and chai teas and maple donuts that harken to these dessert spice flavors. Thank you for sharing -I may get a bottle visit my local package store next. It's been too long.

lrochau
01-26-2012, 19:35
I had my taste of JDSB the other night at the Jack Daniels bar at the American Airlines Center in Dallas before the Mav's game. Love a $13 drink in a plastic glass but what do you do?

StraightNoChaser
03-18-2012, 20:15
Surprisingly this is the only BF whiskey that doesn't reek of bananas to me. Which means I can drink it.

camduncan
03-18-2012, 21:13
I'm really glad this thread got bumped. A few of us Aussie members are off to meet 7th generation Master Distiller Jeff Arnett next week, and I've been tossing up between buying a Single Barrel or Gentleman Jack bottle to get signed on the day and then share with a few people.
Tim's review decided it.... Single Barrel it is! Thanks Tim!

deathevocation
03-24-2012, 02:54
Whatever you do, don't get GJ - pretty average whisky in my view.

Smithford
02-05-2013, 16:46
Quick bump, especially for JDSB fans in Ontario (you know who you are). The LCBO has it on sale (http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=480616) this month for $49. At that amount, it's almost on par with US prices, a deal unheard of in Ontario.

I've never even given it a second glance, but the markdown had me poking around in here for some reviews. Considering the generally positive things I've read here, I think I'll take advantage of the good deal.

portwood
02-05-2013, 17:14
I've never even given it a second glance, but the markdown had me poking around in here for some reviews. Considering the generally positive things I've read here, I think I'll take advantage of the good deal.
You too huh?
and to fill out the need extra characters ... the bottle is purdy too ...

ErichPryde
02-05-2013, 20:02
Joe, it really has improved in recent years. Something has changed - for the better.

Gary

Absolutely, totally, 100% agree. It has gotten much better in the last year or two, specifically. I can pick JDSB up at costco now (hope it isn't seasonal) for about 36 per, which is pretty fair, so I keep some on hand.

squire
02-05-2013, 20:08
My closest Costco is a whole day round trip, which sorta wipes out any savings.

ErichPryde
02-05-2013, 20:33
that's kinda a plan it way out of this world trip, isn't it?

Enoch
02-11-2013, 16:23
I've noticed several of the liquor stores around here have specially selected bottles with a pewter tag around its neck. I wonder how specially selected or did they just get a bunch of pewter tags.

squire
02-11-2013, 16:31
They're specially selected tags.

Enoch
02-17-2013, 06:30
I've noticed several of the liquor stores around here have specially selected bottles with a pewter tag around its neck. I wonder how specially selected or did they just get a bunch of pewter tags.

I talked with the manager at Total Wine yesterday and she said JD brought managers from all the large liquor stores in town up there for a visit to pick out their barrels last fall. I guess it was a promotional thing. She even showed me the glass she used. They used to have two but someone "borrowed" one.