PDA

View Full Version : Another Source for LDI Whiskey.

cowdery
08-22-2011, 12:01
I found this (http://www.louisville.com/content/get-high-locally-and-legally-food-dining) interesting.

"...they searched for the best in class producer for each spirit. For almost two years they sampled from only the most renowned independent distilleries in the world..."

callmeox
08-22-2011, 12:14
Does LDI do anything in small "handcrafted " batches?

The fibbing is strong right out of the gate.

Bourbon Boiler
08-22-2011, 17:17
Does anyone really care that their favorite gin, tequilla, whiskey, and rum aren't made by the same label? :skep:

cowdery
08-24-2011, 12:38
Oh yes, it's a terrible source of anxiety for me. I also cannot wear a Hanes t-shirt with Fruit of the Loom shorts.

jcg9779
08-24-2011, 12:44
Oh yes, it's a terrible source of anxiety for me. I also cannot wear a Hanes t-shirt with Fruit of the Loom shorts.

But maybe you could if it they were both bought by a third company who slapped a unified brand name on them...

Bourbon Boiler
08-24-2011, 18:33

:lol:

It really is a poorly thought out statement. "We're going to be the best, by focusing on everything."

cowdery
08-24-2011, 20:13
I actually saw a sign like that once, on an auto repair shop. It read: "We Specialize In Everything." I've always prayed that they meant it ironically, but I'm afraid the humor was probably accidental.

IowaJeff
08-25-2011, 10:04
Your posts in this thread have made me laugh out loud Chuck. Nicely done. Any word on what kind of whiskey this will be? Its a bit like having "meat sandwich" on a menu.

Tucker
08-25-2011, 10:46
Any word on what kind of whiskey this will be?

It's an "ultra-premium" "American spirit", that's what kind. And it's already an "Award Winning Whiskey."

callmeox
08-25-2011, 11:05
To me, the bottle says Whiskey by Avon.

DeanSheen
08-25-2011, 12:04
To me, the bottle says Whiskey by Avon.

Looks like bubble-bath for sure.

IowaJeff
08-25-2011, 14:11
I didn't see the link to the website. That is a ghastly bottle. From the description I guess its just more 'standard' LDI rye. Looks like 80 proof. It'd be nice to know the age for purposes of comparison to other LDI ryes.

Why would they not describe it as a rye? When something is just labeled 'whiskey' it leads me to believe its blended or very, very, young.

I'm glad LDI rye is actually a quality product. Otherwise this mass influx of LDI sourced rye into the market would be depressing.

PaulO
08-25-2011, 16:00
I also was looking for the words "straight" and or "bourbon" on the bottle, but didn't see either. What are they trying to compete with; Segram's 7, or Kessler?

sku
08-25-2011, 16:45
It's like the old supermarket generic brands (before they started looking like regular brands) with big bold letters: "Whiskey," "Gin," "Rum," "Vodka." We're lucky they didn't come up with one that just said "Alcoholic Beverage."

Bourbon Boiler
08-25-2011, 18:41
I kind of hope these guys get a login on this forum.

cowdery
08-26-2011, 12:44
Conventionally, one would only use the term "whiskey" if the product can't meet the standards to be called "straight whiskey," "rye whiskey," "bourbon whiskey," or what have you. In this case, it's possible they wanted to use the more generic term because of their overall concept, i.e., one 'exemplary' example of each of these four distilled spirit types.

It's not a blend. That would have to be disclosed. So it's whiskey of one type, they just chose not to identify the type.

If they stay true to their concept, they can add a gin or a brandy, but not a single malt scotch (since they already have 'whiskey' covered).

This is what makes the free enterprise system so much fun. People can invest their money in any idea they want. I may think it's stupid, they obviously think it's brilliant, and we'll just have to wait to see who is right.

smokinjoe
08-26-2011, 15:13
Oh, for Pete's Sake. This is such over-the-top puffery from this outfit, that it borders on being a caricature.

"World's first full line of ultra premium spirits..." Oh no, please, please, don't tell me they're in line for some sort of pioneering award... ;)

Bourbon Boiler
08-26-2011, 16:21
I may think it's stupid, they obviously think it's brilliant, and we'll just have to wait to see who is right.

I don't think that will be a long wait.

Halifax
08-26-2011, 16:41
That is one gay looking bottle. Looks like a dildo almost. Humm... maybe their target market is bitches...

LikeItWasSodaPop
08-26-2011, 17:08
Wow, Halifax, homophobia, sexism ... you just need to get some racism in there for the bigot trifecta.

LikeItWasSodaPop
08-26-2011, 17:09
The bottle is ugly, though. Personally I think the target market is douchebag bros.

Halifax
08-26-2011, 18:42
Wow, Halifax, homophobia, sexism ... you just need to get some racism in there for the bigot trifecta.

Dammit man... I missed out on the hat trick? That sucks... Another opportunity lost. :rolleyes:

M Pickle
02-23-2012, 19:30
Didn't Mr. Boston and Trader Vic among others already try this?

Guess it will work because folks always buy from vertically integrated brands.:skep:

tommyboy38
02-23-2012, 20:23
I may think it's stupid, they obviously think it's brilliant, and we'll just have to wait to see who is right.

I'm not sure if they think it's brilliant or that the liquor buying public is stupid enough to believe all the marketing crap from High Liquors.

Josh
02-24-2012, 09:33
I'm not sure if they think it's brilliant or that the liquor buying public is stupid enough to believe all the marketing crap from High Liquors.

The liquor-buying public buys premium vodka, so they may have a good shot.

Restaurant man
02-25-2012, 08:06
These guys are really smart. They left themselves a contingency because when the liquor thing fails they can launch "high shampoo" company and use the same bottles

tommyboy38
03-02-2012, 22:04
They'll source their handmade small batch shampoo from the best shampoo makers in the world.

Lazer
06-11-2012, 20:26
It's an "ultra-premium" "American spirit", that's what kind. And it's already an "Award Winning Whiskey."

Its American whiskey aged in a traditional Scottish dunnage warehouse. :grin:

Conventionally, one would only use the term "whiskey" if the product can't meet the standards to be called "straight whiskey," "rye whiskey," "bourbon whiskey," or what have you. In this case, it's possible they wanted to use the more generic term because of their overall concept, i.e., one 'exemplary' example of each of these four distilled spirit types.

It's not a blend. That would have to be disclosed. So it's whiskey of one type, they just chose not to identify the type.

If they stay true to their concept, they can add a gin or a brandy, but not a single malt scotch (since they already have 'whiskey' covered).

This is what makes the free enterprise system so much fun. People can invest their money in any idea they want. I may think it's stupid, they obviously think it's brilliant, and we'll just have to wait to see who is right.

This is for the "tell me what whiskey I should buy?" market. The problem is they are a couple of decades late. This won't work in the age of google.

LostBottle
06-17-2012, 22:20
I usually don't root for the spectacular failure of others, but I may make an exception for this brand as there is just so much that I find annoying about it. I think I will pass on the High and enjoy a little schadenfreude instead.

Josh
07-16-2012, 08:42
High is now on Michigan shelves. I included the neighboring bottles to show that it was actually in the whiskey aisle and not the shampoo one.

White Dog
07-17-2012, 10:47
It could also go in the "marital aides" aisle.

Bourbon Boiler
07-17-2012, 18:13
High is now on Michigan shelves. I included the neighboring bottles to show that it was actually in the whiskey aisle and not the shampoo one.

I suppose a ridiculous looking tall bottle is a good way to ensure placement on the top shelf - since it won't fit elsewhere.