PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Btac

autiger23
09-01-2011, 14:58
Looks as it's just about that time and about to hit the shelves soon. John Hansell just posted this.

I did not see this posted anywhere in a search, looks as if GTS is 142.6, WLW is 133.5(hardest to read) and TH is 128.6.

BradleyC
09-01-2011, 15:12
George T. Stagg
The 2010 release of this long-time favorite was named “Spirit of the Year” by F. Paul Pacult in the 2011 Spirit Journal. The 2011 George T. Stagg was found in Warehouses H, I, and K. This uncut, unfiltered bourbon was distilled back in the winter of 1993 and weighs in at 142.6 proof—some bold stuff! This whiskey tastes of espresso, chocolate and vanilla.

William Larue Weller
William Larue Weller is the Antique Collection’s uncut, unfiltered, wheated recipe bourbon. The previous edition was named “Bourbon of the Year” in Jim Murray’s 2011 Whisky Bible. The 2011 offering was distilled in the summer of 1998 and aged on the fourth and fifth floors of Warehouses N, O, and P. This William Larue Weller release registers in at 133.5 proof – a lot stronger than last year! It tastes of honey, caramel, light toffee and pipe tobacco.

Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye
Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye is an uncut and unfiltered straight rye whiskey. The 2010 edition was named “Rye Whiskey of the Year” by Jim Murray in his 2011 Whisky Bible. This year’s Handy was distilled in the spring of 2005, aged on the sixth floor of Warehouse K and weighs in at 128.6 proof. The flavor has been described as “Christmas cake and allspice. Bold and yummy.”

Per the Bourbondork. Thanks for the info

bcrossan
09-01-2011, 18:36
George T. Stagg
The 2010 release of this long-time favorite was named “Spirit of the Year” by F. Paul Pacult in the 2011 Spirit Journal. The 2011 George T. Stagg was found in Warehouses H, I, and K. This uncut, unfiltered bourbon was distilled back in the winter of 1993 and weighs in at 142.6 proof—some bold stuff! This whiskey tastes of espresso, chocolate and vanilla.

William Larue Weller
William Larue Weller is the Antique Collection’s uncut, unfiltered, wheated recipe bourbon. The previous edition was named “Bourbon of the Year” in Jim Murray’s 2011 Whisky Bible. The 2011 offering was distilled in the summer of 1998 and aged on the fourth and fifth floors of Warehouses N, O, and P. This William Larue Weller release registers in at 133.5 proof – a lot stronger than last year! It tastes of honey, caramel, light toffee and pipe tobacco.

Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye
Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye is an uncut and unfiltered straight rye whiskey. The 2010 edition was named “Rye Whiskey of the Year” by Jim Murray in his 2011 Whisky Bible. This year’s Handy was distilled in the spring of 2005, aged on the sixth floor of Warehouse K and weighs in at 128.6 proof. The flavor has been described as “Christmas cake and allspice. Bold and yummy.”

Per the Bourbondork. Thanks for the info

So are these the only 3 released this year or is it all 5 again?

BradleyC
09-01-2011, 18:40
There are 5.

The Sazerac 18 is the same 20 year old juice that they have been delving out of stainless for a number of years now.

I just skipped over the ER17. Sorry about that. Here you go:

Eagle Rare 17 Year Old
The previous edition of this bourbon was honored with a Gold Medal at the 2011 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. The 2011 edition was distilled in the Spring of 1993 and has been aging on the 2nd, 3rd and 6th floors of Warehouses I and K. After 18 years and 7 months of aging under its belt, it brings to the table notes of leather, vanilla and tobacco.

G.H.Adams
09-01-2011, 21:05
I would have a better chance of finding a Martian than any of those blessed bottles in my area. In fact I have never been able to locate any online stores that have any in stock.

I envy you guys have fun.

MissinER101
09-02-2011, 09:45
DANG THE LUCK...I just discovered the neighbor's son-in-law reps for the BT distributor in this area and could tip me off to the arrival of these blessed spirits and I'm moving to Colorado.

On the other, while in Colorado house hunting I discovered several bottles of each of the 2010 edition still on the shelf at decent prices at one of the local suppliers of spirits. I'm looking forward to the new edition.

G.H.
Perhaps once I get out to Colorado, if the supply is still there I could see about getting you a rare collectible bottle or two; the value of which is in the rarity and collector value of the bottle and has nothing to do with the unopened contents :rolleyes:

GOCOUGS2002
09-02-2011, 19:24
DANG THE LUCK...I just discovered the neighbor's son-in-law reps for the BT distributor in this area and could tip me off to the arrival of these blessed spirits and I'm moving to Colorado.

On the other, while in Colorado house hunting I discovered several bottles of each of the 2010 edition still on the shelf at decent prices at one of the local suppliers of spirits. I'm looking forward to the new edition.

Did you find those in downtown Colorado Springs? I left some on the shelf at a place and if you got them great, if not I'll go grab them.

G.H.Adams
09-02-2011, 22:11
MissinER101

That sounds like a plan. Another member sent me a PM with an online dealer that usually has some.

When I get back from vacation I will have to do some checking. Also good luck in the move to Colorado. It's a beautiful state that I have visited several times. I live in southeast New Mexico so depending it's not a real long drive.

2highcal
09-02-2011, 22:46
I think this year I will have to purchase a bottle of Stagg if I can find it here

clingman71
09-03-2011, 16:38
Any idea of a release date? My local store got a few bottles of GTS last year, of which I missed out, and received none of the others. I drive down to cork n bottle and party source every 4-6 weeks, but I feel like I get interrogated before they decide if I'm worthy of anything "in the back".

MissinER101
09-06-2011, 08:19
Did you find those in downtown Colorado Springs? I left some on the shelf at a place and if you got them great, if not I'll go grab them.

Not C.S., over the mountain and a tad north, next to the Mormons :rolleyes: so your leavings should still be there unless someone else got 'em.

soad
09-26-2011, 16:45
Looks like I can special order these in PA!!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: They are going for $59.99....how is that price? Now I just have to decide between the Weller and the Stagg......oh what to do......

OscarV
09-26-2011, 17:03
Looks like I can special order these in PA!!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: They are going for $59.99....how is that price? Now I just have to decide between the Weller and the Stagg......oh what to do......

At that price get both.
72 bucks here last year.

T Comp
09-26-2011, 19:15
Two stores in this area still have plenty of the whole line from last year at $79.

SMOWK
09-26-2011, 19:58

Good luck getting them to actually fill the order. If I had a nickel...I could afford BTAC just about anywhere. :grin:

smokinjoe
09-26-2011, 20:45

I really, really, hope this works out for you. But, I'm afraid you have hurt your chances by posting this. Unfortunately, there is an army of lurkers..... (and, even worse...Uh....others).....who look for info like this, and will try and beat you to the punch. These folks will contact everyone they know within a 2 state area of PA to buy all they can. Hopefully, :rolleyes:, you'll find those bottles on eBay for only double. If you get a line on the Fall Release of Pappy 15, do NOT breathe a word..until you buy 'em. :D

MaltNut
10-14-2011, 15:47
Well I have 3 bottles of Stagg waiting for me to pickup... at $79.99, $10 a bottle more than last year. Then I talked to another store who hasn't gotten them in yet who quoted me even higher, stipulating that they would only be available at that price if their cost hadn't gone up from last year, but not to worry too much because their cost hadn't gone up in several years. I guess they could charge considerably more than that around here and it would still sell. Damn that supply and demand; I do hope that BT is putting away a lot more whiskey right now for their future Stagg than they were 17 years ago.

bad_scientist
10-14-2011, 15:53
2010 Handy and ER17 are collecting dust on the top shelf of my local store, pretty much invisible to anyone shorter than 6'2", which happens to be my height :) They just appeared out of nowhere a couple of months ago. Stock from the back or a special opportunity from their wholesaler?

Two stores in this area still have plenty of the whole line from last year at $79.

OscarV
10-16-2011, 05:24
Does anyone have the spec sheet for the 2011 William Larue Weller?

birdman1099
10-16-2011, 06:24

http://www.greatbourbon.com/antiquecollection.aspx

Here they are on one handy web page....

OscarV
10-16-2011, 07:05
http://www.greatbourbon.com/antiquecollection.aspx

Here they are on one handy web page....

Thanx Scott.
--------------------
AGHI2

DeanSheen
10-18-2011, 07:57

And has anyone tasted it yet?

I did have some 2011 GTS yesterday and my initial impression is that I favor 2010.

RegChumpington
10-18-2011, 12:51
And has anyone tasted it yet?

I did have some 2011 GTS yesterday and my initial impression is that I favor 2010.

I like the Stagg '10 better, but I think the Stagg '11 is quite good. Less sweet and buttery than '10 - I got substantially more cherry notes on the palate and finish, as well as more overall rye presence. I'm also hitting the bottle at an alarming rate...

DeanSheen
10-18-2011, 19:29
I'm also hitting the bottle at an alarming rate...

No shame in that. I was so excited to get mine yesterday I did the same. Paying for it a bit today mostly from lack of sleep so I'm on the water.

Tomorrow I'll reapproach with a fresh palette. I'll be looking for that cherry.

RegChumpington
10-18-2011, 21:01
No shame in that. I was so excited to get mine yesterday I did the same. Paying for it a bit today mostly from lack of sleep so I'm on the water.

Tomorrow I'll reapproach with a fresh palette. I'll be looking for that cherry.

I hear you on lack of sleep. I have a very fussy newborn and the small binge last night plus a refusal to sleep more than 90 minutes had me in a state no more lucid than "bleary" today. I'm also water-bound today.

I notice the cherry later in the palate, but not super late... but if you get it on the palate, to me it's massive early in the finish. It kind of bounces between cherry, black cherry, and fake cherry (think Luden's cough drops). I get that note off of some ryes from time to time and it's a favorite, but this was one of the most intense I can remember.

StraightNoChaser
10-20-2011, 13:38
I am so not in the mood to track these down anymore. Dallas really gets the shaft from the distributor. I heard all the Saz 18 was presold before it even got to a store

Young Blacksmith
10-20-2011, 14:26
If you ever feel like driving I know where a few Saz's and WLW's are....

mosugoji64
10-20-2011, 22:08
I am so not in the mood to track these down anymore. Dallas really gets the shaft from the distributor. I heard all the Saz 18 was presold before it even got to a store

I hear you. I'd love to pick up a bottle of the Weller, but the liquor store managers I've spoken to don't know what I'm talking about, have never seen it, or have no idea when/if it will show up. I just don't have the time right now. :hot:

DeanSheen
10-21-2011, 12:01

It's such a damn rat race sometimes that I'm getting closer to that all the time.

I have thrown in the towel on Van Winkle.*

*except for the VWFRR. VWFRR I can't quit you!!!

Bourbon Boiler
10-23-2011, 17:52
I had the Stagg for the first time last week. Being my first, I don't know how the 2011 compares to any of the others. Although I liked it quite a bit, it just seemed that the high proof masked a lot of the flavor, even on the finish. If I get another chance, I might add an ice cube or a few drops of water to see if I can appreciate it more. The biggest problem was probably my inflated expectations.

B.B. Babington
10-23-2011, 19:24
It's such a damn rat race ...
Yep, I've got my orders in, but if I don't get it, that's more $$ to spend on something else. And I can always open a case from last year. It's about $79 in my area, and I'll not pay more. There's a LOT of really great stuff available at that price point, so I'll not pay more.

Tony
10-25-2011, 13:34
Got myself a Stagg and a Weller today, $71 each. I am happy.

Best regards, tony

timd
10-25-2011, 14:51
*except for the VWFRR. VWFRR I can't quit you!!!

Amen... I wish I could quit it, I just can't... I only need "X" more bottles, and then I can quit... right?:slappin:

autiger23
10-26-2011, 22:19
Would you pay $87 a bottle for the 2011 GTS?

Went to a store here just over the border in TN and they had the new GTS for that and $90 for the JP17 batch 7.

I initially said no but am second guessing, this place did not sell their 2 cases of GTS for over 2 months.

BMartin42
10-27-2011, 08:56
Would you pay $87 a bottle for the 2011 GTS?

The going price in my neck of the woods here in central IL is 79.99 IF you can find it. I'd gladly pay the extra $7 to avoid the search. It would save me lots of gas money in the long run and I'd actually come out ahead.

clindt
10-27-2011, 12:14
Just picted up a bottle of ER17 for $73. I feel lucky to have a bottle and hope it lives up to the hype. ERSB is my go-to .

Jwilly019
10-28-2011, 01:54
I'll be picking my bottle of GTS up in the morning. Deciding if I should get a bottle of WLW tomorrow as well. I still have an unopened bottle of the 2010 release at home. Anyone compare the 2 yet?

birdman1099
10-28-2011, 06:06
I'll be picking my bottle of GTS up in the morning. Deciding if I should get a bottle of WLW tomorrow as well. I still have an unopened bottle of the 2010 release at home. Anyone compare the 2 yet?

(i know it does not directly answer your question)
I just did a Straight out of the bottle 2011 vs half empty 2008. Oddly enough, the 2011 was not as hot, more balanced, and better flavor than the 2008. But you know how wheaters are. I'll try again in a few weeks.

Jwilly019
10-28-2011, 22:38
(i know it does not directly answer your question)
I just did a Straight out of the bottle 2011 vs half empty 2008. Oddly enough, the 2011 was not as hot, more balanced, and better flavor than the 2008. But you know how wheaters are. I'll try again in a few weeks.

Thanks. It turns out the only bottle they had was already spoken for. They did however have a few bottles of THH on hand. The only one I could make out was 126.9 proof.

cbus
11-01-2011, 17:22
FWIW, Party Source just put some 2011 Stagg on their website for shipping only. Since I arrived about 30 min to late to get any when it was for sale at the store, I shipped a bottle back home to Columbus. It looks to be going fast, though.

clingman71
11-01-2011, 17:42
I ordered one, they had WLW listed as well, but the qualtity dropped to -1 while I was trying to add one to my cart. Got the order confirmation email for the GTS. Now to be patient while waiting for shipment.

FWIW, Party Source just put some 2011 Stagg on their website for shipping only. Since I arrived about 30 min to late to get any when it was for sale at the store, I shipped a bottle back home to Columbus. It looks to be going fast, though.

Bourbon Boiler
11-01-2011, 19:55
I got an email this morning that all five were available. Of course, TPS is a blocked site from work. By the time I got home, only Stagg was available.

G.H.Adams
11-01-2011, 22:02
I got the same email also. By the time I logged onto the Party Source site only the Stagg was available. I ordered it and a bottle of Abraham Bowman Bourbon to even out the shipping.

Bourbon Boiler
11-02-2011, 17:09
20+ bottles of Stagg left as of early afternoon.

StraightNoChaser
11-02-2011, 17:47
Anyone opened their 2011 bottles yet? Thoughts?

Young Blacksmith
11-02-2011, 19:41
Saw the ER17 today, so I know it's showing around here finally. Decided to purchase Sam Adams Octoberfest and Light instead....

MaltNut
11-03-2011, 04:20

:slappin: Are you kidding? I may take a really long time to empty a bottle of Stagg, but it gets opened when I get home with it.

My comparisons are limited to the 2010 bottling, but I find it significantly woodier and hotter than that. Overall I much prefer 2010. This surprises me as I generally prefer "over-wooded" whiskeys --I like the 2009 OFBB over the 2010 for that very reason.

Still, very good whiskey and I am curious to see how it changes once I get half the bottle out of it.

StraightNoChaser
11-03-2011, 09:21
:slappin: Are you kidding? I may take a really long time to empty a bottle of Stagg, but it gets opened when I get home with it.

I can't justify opening mine because I have 1-2 bottles of previous years open :skep:

GreggJ
11-03-2011, 11:01

I was able to grab 2 bottles of GTS last night, it was all they had. I also reserved a few more and they should be arriving next week.

Anyhow, I was able to pop to cork on this bad boy last night. Initial thoughts were that it reaked of typical Kick Ass Stagg Goodness.

Nose: was very strong with molasses, vanilla, nutmeg, sweet spices and that clear out your nose tinge of alcohol burn.

Body: Again this was typical mouth coating tongue tingling Staggaliciousness. Molasses, Spice, Vanilla, and dried fruit are very apparent.

To me this year has a much more pronounced dry fruit flavor that lingers and closes out the profile. This, if memory serves is a little smoother and has more dried fruit than last year. Excellent, vintage that will not disapoint.

Go Git'em Boys.

StraightNoChaser
11-04-2011, 11:34
I am somewhat tempted to trade out one of my Saz18s. I like it but it's not my favorite and I figure it would be worth more to someone else.

RegChumpington
11-04-2011, 21:49

The Stagg is good; I think the more sweet, caramel notes of last year's are generally more enjoyable, but it's really good with some water or ice.

I think this year's Weller is head and shoulders above '09 and '10. It's absurdly creamy and rich with water. I'm looking for a second bottle. Love it.

I have a '11 Handy on the way; I don't think I'll be looking for Saz18 and I don't really care for ER17.

bad_scientist
11-04-2011, 22:43
The Stagg is good; I think the more sweet, caramel notes of last year's are generally more enjoyable, but it's really good with some water or ice.

I think this year's Weller is head and shoulders above '09 and '10. It's absurdly creamy and rich with water. I'm looking for a second bottle. Love it.

I have a '11 Handy on the way; I don't think I'll be looking for Saz18 and I don't really care for ER17.

How much water? I thought the 2010 WLW didn't hold up too well with water, but I've been getting lots of positive stuff about the 2011.

B.B. Babington
11-04-2011, 23:19
How much water?...
For the higher proofs, I much prefer neat. Just smaller sips. If ya getting barrel proof, you may as well enjoy the stronger uncut flavors.

Many people do add a splash of water to tame proof. For general on higher proofs, I'd suggest never more than quarter or third water or else it gets too soft; unless you add ice or water to the 80 proofers, then ya may want more H2O.

RegChumpington
11-05-2011, 08:50
How much water? I thought the 2010 WLW didn't hold up too well with water, but I've been getting lots of positive stuff about the 2011.

Tiny bit. If you're looking at an ounce and a half I wouldn't go over 5mL. Just a splash. It takes it in a much different direction. It does simplify things as B.B. notes but at the same time it does become its own decadent kind of thing, and I'm not normally a water guy.

The '10 didn't really do well with it and I'm a huge fan of the '10. The '11 is better.

MacinJosh
11-07-2011, 18:53
I am somewhat tempted to trade out one of my Saz18s. I like it but it's not my favorite and I figure it would be worth more to someone else.

Which year(s)?

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StraightNoChaser
11-08-2011, 09:38
Which year(s)?

Josh

2 bottles of 2011

MacinJosh
11-09-2011, 14:08
2 bottles of 2011

Thanks.

Is the 2008 hard to come by?

Josh

StraightNoChaser
11-09-2011, 14:12
Apparently Saz18 is hard to come by no matter the vintage

GreggJ
11-10-2011, 09:35
For the higher proofs, I much prefer neat. Just smaller sips. If ya getting barrel proof, you may as well enjoy the stronger uncut flavors.

Many people do add a splash of water to tame proof. For general on higher proofs, I'd suggest never more than quarter or third water or else it gets too soft; unless you add ice or water to the 80 proofers, then ya may want more H2O.

I agree, With Stagg and Weller and their high proof I usually add the equivalent of a teaspoon or so of water per dram, 2oz or so, and it usually works out perfectly. Still have the bite of cask strenght goodness but it mellows the alcohol burn a little and seems to open it up.

I would experiment with the amount of water adding a couple drops or so at a time so you can dial it in based on your personal preference.

RyanL
11-18-2011, 15:37
Apparently Saz18 is hard to come by no matter the vintage

If any of u are in the St. Louis or Southern IL area and don't mind a 2ish hour drive I was told there is a place with 6 bottles of Saz, I assume from this year but am not sure. I will respond to PMs from contributing members with the info and u can call and double check on it yourself. They also should have some Lot B as well but no idea how much.