PDA

View Full Version : What Beer Are You Drinking? - Fall 2011

Pages : [1] 2

jcg9779
09-23-2011, 07:40
Well, it's that time of year again. The nights start to get a little cooler, the days are a little crisper, and the leaves on the trees start to change. Days are getting shorter and it won't be long until we're lighting those first fires in the fireplace. Baseball is winding down and football is in full swing. That's right...Fall is here!

As the summer seasonal beers disappear from the shelves in favor of heavier, darker, more flavorful offerings, what bottle will you be reaching for?

moose
09-23-2011, 13:52
Still will have a stable full of my usual IPA's, but for Fall Seasonal's I love:

Odell's Isolation Ale
Left Hand Oktoberfest
Avery Old Jubilation Ale
Sam Adam's Octoberfest
Hofbrau Oktoberfest

My favorite WAS New Belgium's -2º Below, but they of course got rid of it.

smokinjoe
09-23-2011, 15:41
Sam Adams Octoberfest in my glass, this early evening.

ratcheer
09-23-2011, 16:11
I am still working through my summer stash. But when it is gone, I think I have a taste for some porter. And probably some of the Sam Adams Fall specials.

Tim

MarkEdwards
09-23-2011, 16:47
Another bottle of Arrogant Bastard (non-oaked), and a bottle of Yeti which I've yeti to open.

clingman71
09-23-2011, 18:10
Had Mikkeller It's Alive with dinner, now on to some ORVW 10/107.

jcg9779
09-23-2011, 20:26
Another bottle of Arrogant Bastard (non-oaked), and a bottle of Yeti which I've yeti to open.

Have you had the oaked version? I always see it for sale but have only bought the non-oaked version...I wonder how they compare.

jcg9779
09-24-2011, 11:48
Started off with a Mama's Little Yella Pils today.

MTBottle
09-24-2011, 17:30
Great Lakes Oktoberfest, which I think is one of the better American Oktoberfest's.

Mark

MarkEdwards
09-24-2011, 18:32
Finally tried the Yeti. Didn't like it. My problem with the Imperials is that they taste too much of anise.

stevegoz
09-25-2011, 15:04
I went into the whole prospect feeling a bit skeptical, but really enjoyed my first imperialized Octoberfest lager, Avery's The Kaiser (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/19425). Sweet, toasty malts and a bit of a kick with the 10 percent ABV....

Special Reserve
09-25-2011, 15:28
A Sam Adams Oktoberfest following the Lions victory.

First time in 31 years, the Lions are 3-0.

jcg9779
09-25-2011, 17:41
I'm just glad that I have Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford on my fantasy team.

Drank some Miller Lite, Allagash White, Cannon something, and some pumpkin beer today while watching football.

HipFlask
09-25-2011, 18:59
I have working October fest. Some from the country of Origin - Spaten and HB, and some from the states Leinies and Great lakes and New Glarus. Good stuff all around. Also I went to Oktoberfest at St. Frances brewery an had a pint each of their Festive beer which is actually the same recipe only one has been cask conditioned. I definitely love cask when I can find it.

unclebunk
09-26-2011, 06:39
I went into the whole prospect feeling a bit skeptical, but really enjoyed my first imperialized Octoberfest lager, Avery's The Kaiser (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/19425). Sweet, toasty malts and a bit of a kick with the 10 percent ABV....

I'm ashamed to admit I've never had a single beer from Avery. What's the skinny on them? Where to start?

unclebunk
09-26-2011, 06:42
A Sam Adams Oktoberfest following the Lions victory.

First time in 31 years, the Lions are 3-0.

Amazing game, Will! Despite being in the same division as my Bears, I was rooting for the Lions to be successful this year, though perhaps not this successful. :grin: At this rate, you'll be drinking a lot of celebratory beers this season.

unclebunk
09-26-2011, 06:46
... Also I went to Oktoberfest at St. Frances brewery an had a pint each of their Festive beer which is actually the same recipe only one has been cask conditioned. I definitely love cask when I can find it.

With all the beer-drinking fanatics here in Chicagoland, it always surprises me how little cask ale can be found in the better establishments. Even brew pubs rarely bother which is a real shame. Cask conditioned ale is the way to go, in my book. It can't be beaten!

moose
09-26-2011, 12:58
I'm ashamed to admit I've never had a single beer from Avery. What's the skinny on them? Where to start?

Really depends what you like, but I am a pretty big supporter of Avery. They operate out of my home-town of Boulder CO, have been in business since 1993. They have a great line of year round ales (IPA, White Rascal, Ellie's Brown, Out of Bounds Stout, Joe's Pilsner), which are all pretty widely available. I love their IPA and even their brown ale is nice, and I don't typically like brown ales.

I also like their seasonal's, but most like their limited releases, lots of crazy offerings and its clear they aren't afraid to mix things up, case in point: Mephistopholes Stout, 15% ABV (may have been a pissing contest though).

If you haven't tried Avery I recommend you give them a try, their Ellie's Brown ale wouldn't be a bad spot to start (not knowing your personal tastes), but their IPA is my personal favorite.

Bottoms Up

If you need it:
http://www.averybrewing.com/our-ales

Special Reserve
09-26-2011, 14:52
Amazing game, Will! Despite being in the same division as my Bears, I was rooting for the Lions to be successful this year, though perhaps not this successful. :grin: At this rate, you'll be drinking a lot of celebratory beers this season.

Being a Lions fan for >50 years, I've watched many a game where you needed beer to drown your sorry.

I think those days may be ending for a while. I really like Schwartz as the coach. He is their best head coach in 50 years.

At the half I thought same old luck and Lions in Minnesota, and would watch the second half out of obligation. But I was in for a most pleasant surprise.

AaronWF
09-26-2011, 14:56
With all the beer-drinking fanatics here in Chicagoland, it always surprises me how little cask ale can be found in the better establishments. Even brew pubs rarely bother which is a real shame. Cask conditioned ale is the way to go, in my book. It can't be beaten!

Have you been to Owen and Engine? They have a revolving selection of cask conditioned ale (not to mention the best fish 'n chips I've ever had outside of London). I was there a few months ago and had a cask conditioned Scottish beer brewed with heather in place of hops. The heather gave it an exotic punch while still keeping it in the realm of tasting like beer, and delicious beer at that!

stevegoz
09-26-2011, 19:37

Good question -- the Kaiser was a first for me from Avery, foisted upon me by a guy at Binny's in Willowbrook when I went to replenish my stock of Boulevard Bob's '47 Octoberfest.

Really depends what you like, but I am a pretty big supporter of Avery. They operate out of my home-town of Boulder CO, have been in business since 1993. They have a great line of year round ales (IPA, White Rascal, Ellie's Brown, Out of Bounds Stout, Joe's Pilsner), which are all pretty widely available. I love their IPA and even their brown ale is nice, and I don't typically like brown ales.

I also like their seasonal's, but most like their limited releases, lots of crazy offerings and its clear they aren't afraid to mix things up, case in point: Mephistopholes Stout, 15% ABV (may have been a pissing contest though).

If you haven't tried Avery I recommend you give them a try, their Ellie's Brown ale wouldn't be a bad spot to start (not knowing your personal tastes), but their IPA is my personal favorite.

Bottoms Up

If you need it:

Thanks!

stevegoz
09-26-2011, 19:40
Have you been to Owen and Engine? They have a revolving selection of cask conditioned ale (not to mention the best fish 'n chips I've ever had outside of London). I was there a few months ago and had a cask conditioned Scottish beer brewed with heather in place of hops. The heather gave it an exotic punch while still keeping it in the realm of tasting like beer, and delicious beer at that!

I've enjoyed it there and also at the Two Brothers Tap House, which may or may not have it on a given weekend. (Really liked what it did to Cane & Ebel, which I already love.) Few other places mentioned here (http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/March-2011/Five-Places-to-Try-Cask-Beer-Fountainhead-Owen-and-Engine-and-More/).

AaronWF
09-26-2011, 21:03
I've enjoyed it there and also at the Two Brothers Tap House, which may or may not have it on a given weekend. (Really liked what it did to Cane & Ebel, which I already love.) Few other places mentioned here (http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/March-2011/Five-Places-to-Try-Cask-Beer-Fountainhead-Owen-and-Engine-and-More/).

I had casked Cane and Ebel at Owen and Engine too. I have to say I was pretty skeptical before I tasted it, as I'm not a fan of the bottled C&E, but it was a gorgeous beer from the cask.

The only issues I've run into with cask ales is that many of them are very low in alcohol, like in the 3%-4% range. They're tasty and totally appropriate for 7 am, but in the afternoon and evenings I much prefer my beer to start at or near 6% at a minimum.

unclebunk
09-27-2011, 06:43

Bottoms Up

If you need it:

Thanks for the info! I guess what I was asking was which beer is considered their "flagship" product and/or best seller. I love IPA's so I'll start there and pick up a six pack this weekend. Hopefully they do a sampler twelve pack which would be even better. I think ALL micros should do samplers so we can taste the range of their products without breaking the bank or risking picking up a dud six pack.

unclebunk
09-27-2011, 06:47

That sounds great. Thanks for the tip! Having lived in England for a few years, I'm a "real ale" fanatic, so really appreciate cask-conditioned ale when I find it.

Brisko
09-27-2011, 06:50
I don't drink much beer any more but my wife likes to have one now and again. Generally she prefers American lagers, but she asked me to find something different. So I bought her a six-pack of Leinie's Sunset Wheat, because I know she likes wheat beers.

I didn't notice that the label reads "Beer with natural flavors." Coriander, to be exact. Well, I'm sure somebody likes it but it's going to go down the drain at our house unless I can find someone to pawn it off on.

It's a shame, too, because their wheat mash is actually pretty good.

unclebunk
09-27-2011, 06:53
During a recent visit to the Willowbrook Binny's, I was shocked by the proliferation of high-end canned beer (six packs in the $9 and above range). It seems like a "retro" thing but the guys from Oskar Blues make a good case for the use of modern-day aluminum cans over bottles on their web site, stating that the cans are different than the ones I grew up with and actually preserve the beer better (no light being the biggest factor) than your standard glass beer bottle. Interesting!

Brisko
09-27-2011, 07:42
One of our local up-and-comers, Surly, has "Beer for a glass, from a can," as their tag line.

stevegoz
09-27-2011, 08:19
During a recent visit to the Willowbrook Binny's, I was shocked by the proliferation of high-end canned beer (six packs in the $9 and above range). It seems like a "retro" thing but the guys from Oskar Blues make a good case for the use of modern-day aluminum cans over bottles on their web site, stating that the cans are different than the ones I grew up with and actually preserve the beer better (no light being the biggest factor) than your standard glass beer bottle. Interesting!

That's the same philosophy that Half-Acre up on the north side now follows, as they eliminated 12-ounce bottles in favor of 16-ounce cans. (Though they still do bomber bottles.) Also reduces shipping weight and total resource use.

Now if only Half-Acre could produce enough to send it to Willowbrook! (For now they only do the city and northern 'burbs.)

moose
09-27-2011, 09:38
Thanks for the info! I guess what I was asking was which beer is considered their "flagship" product and/or best seller. I love IPA's so I'll start there and pick up a six pack this weekend. Hopefully they do a sampler twelve pack which would be even better. I think ALL micros should do samplers so we can taste the range of their products without breaking the bank or risking picking up a dud six pack.

Right on, their original flagships were Redpoint Amber (retired), Ellies Brown, and Out of Bounds Stout. I don't think Avery does a sampler pack, but I do agree about liking variety. I wish all companies did, but I can understand why they don't. I don't think you'll run into a dud from Avery, but since you like IPA's I'd say get 6 of the IPA and 6 of the Ellies (flagship). Some stores do make your own 6 packs where you can mix and match too, I always try to do that when trying a new brewery.

emr454
09-27-2011, 18:29
Southern Tier Pumking, followed by Cape Ann's Fisherman's Pumkin Stout, then a Southern Tier Harvest Ale.

Eric

clingman71
09-27-2011, 19:36
Sierra Nevada - Dogfish Head collaboration Life & Limb. A little maltier than I prefer, but flavorful, good cool weather beer.

moose
10-01-2011, 22:39
Tonight has brought:

Big Sky IPA
Deschutes Inversion IPA
Sierra Nevada Tumbler Brown

All pretty good, really like the Deschutes, has a color to it that I haven't seen from many IPA's, quite a dark copper hue to it. The Tumbler is also growing on me, I usually don't like malty beers, but this one is getting better, lots of underlying malt characters: roasted malt comes through in sheets, even some roasted coffee characteristics can be picked up, with a slight smokiness from it all to round things out......Sure, I don't like malty beers ;). Maybe I can be converted from my current Hop Head status.

clingman71
10-02-2011, 12:06
Dark Horse Plead the 5th RIS

Special Reserve
10-02-2011, 14:19
Having a Atwater Block Mai Bock to celebrate the Lions win. (In addition to a little WLW 117.9 as post elsewhere.)

Whiskey Willie
10-03-2011, 06:32
I finally found some Bellhaven Scottish Ale. . .Pretty tasty.

ThomasH
10-04-2011, 17:16
I am drinking a Yuengling black and tan. Yuengling appeared on Ohio shelves yesterday. I have had the lager and light in the past and while good aren't a big deal to me but the black and tan is excellent!

Thomas

emr454
10-04-2011, 20:13
Tried a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout tonight. I'm generally an IPA guy, but it's nice to get something dark and roasty every now and again.

Eric

Bourbon Boiler
10-06-2011, 20:58
I'm enjoyng Helios Pale Ale from Upland in Bloomington, IN. Not super, but a decent drink for staying up late to watch west coast hockey games.

clingman71
10-07-2011, 04:08
Founder's Harvest, wet-hopped ale, mmmmmmm

ebo
10-08-2011, 17:11
I'm drinking a somewhat bland, uninspiring Yuengling Lager. I don't get all the hoopla over this stuff.

ThomasH
10-08-2011, 21:40
I feel the same way about the lager and light versions. The black and tan is a different story. It is excellent!

Thomas

moose
10-09-2011, 01:11
Happy Camper IPA :D fantastic name for a great beer.

bad_scientist
10-09-2011, 09:18
Sierra Nevada Tumbler Brown - let it warm up a bit and it's like tobacco from a pipe.

unclebunk
10-09-2011, 09:43
Great night of beer drinking with the stellar Avery IPA leading the pack, followed by Blue Point IPA (from Long Island) and Brooklyn Brewery's East India Pale Ale. Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA on deck this afternoon.

bad_scientist
10-09-2011, 10:18
Love love love the Torpedo! Sierra Nevada has really kicked it into gear in the last few years - their Harvest beers are just awesome, too, as were their anniversary offerings.

Great night of beer drinking with the stellar Avery IPA leading the pack, followed by Blue Point IPA (from Long Island) and Brooklyn Brewery's East India Pale Ale. Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA on deck this afternoon.

smokinjoe
10-09-2011, 12:38
It's overcast, breezy, a touch coolish outside. Just perfect for a Great Lakes Oktoberfest while listening to the Colts and Chiefs on the radio. Just like seemingly everything else this brewery puts out, this is wonderful beer.

So, at this point in my Octoberfest beer tastings, these beers make the podium:
Sam Adams Octoberfest
Great Lakes Oktoberfest
New Belgium Hoptober

This really is a nice time of year for beer drinking.

ebo
10-09-2011, 14:32
It's overcast, breezy, a touch coolish outside. Just perfect for a Great Lakes Oktoberfest while listening to the Colts and Chiefs on the radio. Just like seemingly everything else this brewery puts out, this is wonderful beer.

Sam Adams Octoberfest
Great Lakes Oktoberfest
New Belgium Hoptober

Which Octoberfest do you prefer.... Great Lakes or Sam Adams? I still think the SA is the best Oct.fest I've had, and I'm a huge fan of Great Lakes offerings.

smokinjoe
10-09-2011, 15:22
Which Octoberfest do you prefer.... Great Lakes or Sam Adams? I still think the SA is the best Oct.fest I've had, and I'm a huge fan of Great Lakes offerings.

Me, too, E. Sam Adams is my favorite. The GLB and NB offerings are very good, but I still prefer the SA.
:toast:

BMartin42
10-09-2011, 15:43
Grilling and enjoying a Sam Adams Octoberfest here as well. My favorite among all the Sams and one of the absolute best Octoberfest beers out there.

Special Reserve
10-09-2011, 17:05
I had a taste of Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout. An Imperial Stout with a sweet taste from Maple Syrup.

Special Reserve
10-09-2011, 17:06
I too like the Sam Adams Oktoberfest.

bad_scientist
10-09-2011, 17:21
My German friend also loves the Sam Adams, and boy, is he proud of German beers, so he rarely speaks well of American beers. Here's my ranking:

1. Sam Adams
2. Great Lakes
3. Harpoon (who would have thought?)
4. Flying Dog Dogtoberfest

The others I've had pretty much rank lower and equal to each other, except for an Avery Imperial Octoberfest, which goes completely against the concept of such a beer but is delicious anyway.

Gillman
10-09-2011, 17:25
All the breweries mentioned are excellent, and I'd say we exceed German brewing in many areas now. I was there last year (Bavaria) and had some excellent beers but I've had many equally good in the U.S. or better in some cases, with more stylistic variety.

Beers I've enjoyed lately include Galt Knife Old Style Lager, an Ontario craft lager, Russian Gun, the Imperial Stout from the same brewery, and a cask pale ale from Black Oak brewery, a Toronto-area craft operation.

Gary

Special Reserve
10-09-2011, 17:29
I also liked the Atwater Brewing Blocktoberfest.

bad_scientist
10-09-2011, 17:31
Oh yeah, I try not to let him get started on the German purity law. Which he doesn't abide by, anyway, as a hefeweizen fanatic. Anyway, that law was made solely to keep people from using all the wheat they grew to make beer, and thus drive up bread prices. Silly to stick with it for 500 years and use it as a badge of honor. It just stifles innovation.

unclebunk
10-09-2011, 17:32

Sam Adams Octoberfest
Great Lakes Oktoberfest
New Belgium Hoptober

That's a great line-up, Joe. And nothing like enjoying a fine Oktoberfest beer on an autumnal day while listening to sports on the radio. That's living, my friend!:grin:

bad_scientist
10-09-2011, 17:38
Cool, a Detroit area brewery! My wife's from West Michigan, so we always hit up Bells, Founders, and New Holland when we visit, but I'm only now getting into the east coast (of Michigan) stuff.

I also liked the Atwater Brewing Blocktoberfest.

Gillman
10-09-2011, 17:40
Well that's it, there are historical reasons for the pure beer law, and it wasn't followed everywhere in Germany, especially in the north which had a huge array of interesting top-fermenting beers, however when the country unified, it became the national law, subject to some exceptions including wheat use for the weizen beers. In one sense the law is admirable because it focuses on all-malt, and few beers ever went wrong using all malt, but still we must recognize that with some exceptions regionally, virtually the whole country drinks lager, often very good lager although not always. America produces all the lager styles but also so many others. As always though it's a question of searching out the best (here or anywhere)...

Gary

jcg9779
10-10-2011, 07:29

Sam Adams Octoberfest
Great Lakes Oktoberfest
New Belgium Hoptober

I've never had the Great Lakes offering...is that available in Georgia? I don't remember ever seeing it but, then again, I've never looked for it specifically.

unclebunk
10-10-2011, 08:09
Really digging Avery IPA and Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale these days, though Two Brothers' latest creation, Heavy Handed Ale, is absolutely killer, IMO. Too bad their distribution is so limited--they've climbed to the ranks of Bells and more people need to discover their beer.

jcg9779
10-10-2011, 20:27
Found two lonely Sweetwater Festive Ales 2010 in the back of the fridge this evening (their winter offering). Seemed to have decent balance, but I wish there was a little more of the "spice" that they advertise. I can't remember how this beer was fresh, so I don't know if the eight months or so had any effect on taste. All in all, it hit the spot while watching some football tonight.

stevegoz
10-10-2011, 23:03
The others I've had pretty much rank lower and equal to each other, except for an Avery Imperial Octoberfest, which goes completely against the concept of such a beer but is delicious anyway.

The Kaiser? I loved my bomber.

My favorite standard-viscosity Octoberfests (unranked) are Sam Adams, Bell's and New Glarus. Need to work all three into an evening and determine a champ.

Also a fan of Two Brothers Atom Smasher (oaked Marzen), though I think they released a bad batch of it -- the draft I had this year was superb, but the sixers I brought home had an off, sourish finish. Someone else on beeradvocate who had the same batch (best by 12-25) noted this as well, so it's not just me.

barturtle
10-11-2011, 06:17
Last night: Haandbryggeriet Fyr & Flam, Augustijn Grand Cru, Ichtegem's Grand Cru, Dieu du Ciel Chaman, Dogfish Head World Wide Stout...and some Eagle Rare 17 from 2007. Good drink night

stevegoz
10-11-2011, 20:07
My favorite standard-viscosity Octoberfests (unranked) are Sam Adams, Bell's and New Glarus. Need to work all three into an evening and determine a champ.

And Bob's '47 Oktoberfest from Boulevard. Can't believe that I forgot Bob!

clingman71
10-12-2011, 05:35
Had some Founders KBS and CBS at a beerfest over the weekend.Then got lucky and picked up a bottle of CBS yesterday.

Brisko
10-12-2011, 06:58
Last night was a Great Lakes Brewing Dortmunder Gold. Earlier in the week I got to try their Eliot Ness amber lager. I wouldn't want to have to choose between these two, they are both pretty tasty.

unclebunk
10-12-2011, 07:53
Last night was a Great Lakes Brewing Dortmunder Gold. Earlier in the week I got to try their Eliot Ness amber lager. I wouldn't want to have to choose between these two, they are both pretty tasty.

As I've said many times before, I'm a big fan of Great Lakes and continue to marvel at how good their beer is, with not a dud in the bunch. Have you worked your way through the rest of their year-rounders?

Brisko
10-12-2011, 08:24
Nope, just getting started. I discovered a terrific little hole-in-the-wall near my wife's work that specializes in craft beer, and he does a create-a-sixer for just about everything he stocks.

Unfortunately his whiskey selection is one step above non-existent. But he doesn't have the market for it yet (or the space, for that matter).

But yeah, I was shocked at how good these two from GLB are. I'll be working my way through their range.

clingman71
10-12-2011, 15:59
FFF Broodoo wet-hopped ipa tonight, mmm.

BradleyC
10-13-2011, 14:26
It's bourbon barrel aged beer season again!

Bourbon Boiler
10-16-2011, 18:48
I enjoyed a handful of Sam Adams Oktoberfest at the Horse Track last night. Not a special beer, but a good value for a "bar" that has a pretty limited beer selection.

clingman71
10-16-2011, 18:59
Had a homebrew saz/oak aged rye porter followed by some PHC 10 while watching football.

jcg9779
10-16-2011, 20:07
I enjoyed a handful of Sam Adams Oktoberfest at the Horse Track last night. Not a special beer, but a good value for a "bar" that has a pretty limited beer selection.

I had a couple Sam Adams Octoberfests at a bar yesterday and enjoyed them quite a bit. Goes perfect with watching football.

Today I had a few thirst quenching Miller Lites while sitting on a patio at a local sports bar watching the games. It was a high of 85 today, and the beer was going down quite easily.

SBOmarc
10-18-2011, 07:37
Have been out and about lately and have found,

Sam Adams Octoberfest. As always a great beer
Smuttynose IPA. Liked it, very much
Founders Centennial. Sorry, next.
Brooklyn East India Pale. Another winner
Victory Hop Devil. The Smuttynose was better, but liked this also.
Victory Golden Monkey. Not for me

stevegoz
10-18-2011, 08:44
So you're clearly not adverse to pale ales based on the list below -- do you recall what you didn't like about the Founders?

They have a way with hops -- I love their Red's Rye IPA and Hop Slam, but haven't had Centennial.

Have been out and about lately and have found,

Sam Adams Octoberfest. As always a great beer
Smuttynose IPA. Liked it, very much
Founders Centennial. Sorry, next.
Brooklyn East India Pale. Another winner
Victory Hop Devil. The Smuttynose was better, but liked this also.
Victory Golden Monkey. Not for me

smokinjoe
10-18-2011, 19:12
Doing some paperwork this evening with New Belgium Hoptober and a Spaten Optimator. I don't know what it is, but whenever I drink German beer I always begin speaking loudly (very) with a German accent. Things like: You vill like zee Shpaten Op-ti MA-TOR!! :crazy:

SBOmarc
10-19-2011, 04:53
So you're clearly not adverse to pale ales based on the list below -- do you recall what you didn't like about the Founders?

They have a way with hops -- I love their Red's Rye IPA and Hop Slam, but haven't had Centennial.

Thay do have a way with Hops. The Centennial had a Eucalyptus flavor that was off putting.

stevegoz
10-19-2011, 08:48
Thay do have a way with Hops. The Centennial had a Eucalyptus flavor that was off putting.

Ouch. That sounds almost as bad as when my friends and I would try to "Smint" (http://www.uniquereviews.com/images/smint-breath-mints-big.jpg) one another's beer bottles back in the day. Fortunately we didn't know what good beer was back then, so it didn't really mess up our Augsburger, Rolling Rock or Leinie's....

moose
10-19-2011, 21:07
Somewhat odd line-up

New Belgium Hoptober
Spaten Oktoberfest
Hofbrau Oktoberfest
Odell Isolation Ale

My favorite was the Spaten, had that foreign lager skunk to it, but was balanced with a nice maltiness that is usually lacking. The Hoptober was okay, but I still prefer the now discontinued -2º Below. Odell Isolation was nice, not my favorite beer from them, but a nice beer nonetheless. Hofbrau, another benchmark Oktoberfest in my book.

clingman71
10-20-2011, 05:07
Ska Modus Hoperandi, FFF Broodoo, Dark Horse Plead the Option, Founders Harvest all on tap in Chicago

clingman71
10-20-2011, 16:34
Pizza Port Pseudo IPA on tap @ FFF

SBOmarc
10-20-2011, 17:13
Sierra Nevada Octoberfest.

Diffrent than the Sammy OF I was drinking prior.

SBOmarc
10-21-2011, 05:21
Brooklyn Lager and some Smuttynose Robust Porter.

smokinjoe
10-21-2011, 12:50
It's early, but it's been a good week, dangit. Plus, I got Toby Keith and Alan Jackson on the box, so it's beer-thirty. Great Lakes Oktoberfest for me. Yahooooo!!!!!!

jcg9779
10-21-2011, 13:23
It's early, but it's been a good week, dangit. Plus, I got Toby Keith and Alan Jackson on the box, so it's beer-thirty. Great Lakes Oktoberfest for me. Yahooooo!!!!!!

A couple of Yuenglings last night while hanging out with Bob. I haven't had a Yuengling in a while and it was tasting pretty good.

clingman71
10-22-2011, 18:08
Port Brewing High Tide IPA

boss302
10-23-2011, 17:57
I had a smoked lager by Stoudt's brewing company (Adamstown, PA) with my dinner-- pork chop, home-made sauerkraut, caramelized onions, and Winter Stwmp-- this evening. Great pairing.

Now enjoying my last bottle of Samuel Adams Black Lager.

clingman71
10-23-2011, 19:54
Had a Cigar City IPA and a Tyranena Hop Whore IIPA this afternoon.

bad_scientist
10-25-2011, 17:56
Stone Ruination on tap followed by Dogfish Head 120 on tap. After a half dozen or so times having the 120 Minute, I can conclude it is no gimmick, just an awesomely malty, citrusy beer.

clingman71
10-25-2011, 21:00
Port Brewing Older Viscosity, mmmm. Big, roasty, Malty, brown sugar, lots of molasses and wood from the barrel aging. Normally I'm a hophead, but I love this.

jcg9779
10-26-2011, 08:52
I enjoyed a couple of Southern Tier offerings this weekend. Started off with the Pumking, and it was much better than the first time that I had it. I then had the Creme Brule Imperial Milk Stout and wow, is that a sweet beer. The name gives it away, but it was more of a desert beer than anything else. It was good, but it will be a while before I have it again.

unclebunk
10-26-2011, 09:33
Had some Southern Tier Hop Sun myself and really loved it. Looking forward to trying some of their other beers.

DeanSheen
10-26-2011, 10:00
Cleveland Beer week was last week so I drank a bunch of beer.

http://www.clevelandbeerweek.org/

One standout I had at the final event, with 80+ beers, was the Willoughby Brewing Company - Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter. The flavors were all there and I think the Porter definitely allowed this to happen easier than a Stout.

Great story here too, this place was built a few years back and the beer was pretty sucky. A couple guys bought it out and convinced a local home brewer to take over, which he agreed to, and now they are making very good products.

I talked to the Brewer at the final event and congratulated him on his good work. He was very, very happy about his opportunity and good fortune.

In other news, if your into beer travel think about coming up for a few days for Cleveland Beer Week next year. As you can see by the schedule, tons of events every night for 7 days and Breweries are very well represented with personnel in attendance who make appearances at the dinner and special keg tapping events.

Next year will be the 4th year and they are really starting to hit their stride. Well, except for the schedule on the web page, that thing is a PITA to navigate.

smokinjoe
10-27-2011, 15:45
Goose Island Harvest Ale. Beautiful nose. Gorgeous color. Thick and dense head. Nice maltiness at mid palate. I'll give this one high marks.

sailor22
10-27-2011, 15:53
Innis & Gunn Scottish barrel aged beer. Almost too sweet at first taste but ends up being well balanced with lots of wood flavors. Yummy

clingman71
10-27-2011, 17:21
New Albanian Hoptimus IIPA.

DeanSheen
10-27-2011, 19:09
Innis & Gunn Scottish barrel aged beer. Almost too sweet at first taste but ends up being well balanced with lots of wood flavors. Yummy

I like the standard Innis & Gunn.

I tried the rum cask this spring and had to dump it out.

Last night I had several Yngling's (sp). My new Budwesier.

Bourbon Boiler
10-27-2011, 19:55
Dragonfly IPA from Upland has been good to me this week.

Whiskey Willie
10-28-2011, 15:34

Hey, I from Clan Gunn!

Can you compare/contrast that to Bellhaven's Scottish Ale (if you've ever had BSA)?

smokinjoe
10-28-2011, 15:54
Goose Island "Night Stalker" Imperial Stout landed in my glass earlier. A mighty 11.7% ABV. Dark as coal, and thick as oil. Beautiful beer, with wonderful balance considering what you see upon pouring.

bad_scientist
10-28-2011, 16:10
It might be on a thread here, but I read that some of the Goose Islands, like their coffee stouts, are aged in PVW barrels. If so, that's just genius. So many barrel aged beers are astringent or too sweet, but theirs are like crushed velvet.

sailor22
10-28-2011, 16:25
Can you compare/contrast that to Bellhaven's Scottish Ale (if you've ever had BSA)?

Haven't had the opportunity to try it - sorry.

PJTN68
10-28-2011, 17:17
Finally found someone that carries San Miquel....been looking for years.

smokinjoe
10-30-2011, 17:23
Poured an Oskar Blues GUBNA to accompany our dinner of some spicy cheese brats from my buddy's butcher shop. Grilled them up, sliced 'em, and ate them right of the grill. Stone ground yellow speckled grits as a side. The GUBNA worked perfectly to wash it all down. A great combo.

Tony
10-30-2011, 17:53
Had three tasty Dogfish Head Punkin today while watching football and enjoying a cigar.

Best regards, tony

sailor22
10-30-2011, 18:00
Cigar City Big Sound with dinner - a good rich flavorful pour.

stevegoz
10-31-2011, 18:31
Goose Island "Night Stalker" Imperial Stout landed in my glass earlier. A mighty 11.7% ABV. Dark as coal, and thick as oil. Beautiful beer, with wonderful balance considering what you see upon pouring.

Night Stalker has the same base as Bourbon County Stout.

It might be on a thread here, but I read that some of the Goose Islands, like their coffee stouts, are aged in PVW barrels. If so, that's just genius. So many barrel aged beers are astringent or too sweet, but theirs are like crushed velvet.

You're thinking of the Bourbon County Stout, which comes in a basic variety as well as a Vanilla and "Rare," and perhaps one or two others. The Rare is aged for two years in 23-year-old PVW barrels, and was supposed to be a one-off. I don't know that they use a specific distiller's barrels for the standard BCS, which is aged for five months in the bourbon barrels. These types of stout (and most high-alcohol, non-hoppy beers) can be improved with cellaring, generally for up to five years.

clingman71
11-01-2011, 20:11
FFF Alpha King, what a great daily drinker. APA as hoppy or hoppier than many IPAs.

Yalc
11-04-2011, 11:32
Scored some Dogfish Head 120 min IPA draft at my local pub last night. Awesome, smooth with a little sweetness on the finish. Glad I tried it but won't be affording that too often, even if I could find it.

clingman71
11-04-2011, 22:13
Had a pint of Stone Double Bastard tonight before we broke out the whiskey. It is a great cool weather beer.

OscarV
11-06-2011, 11:20
Bells Cherry Stout.
Excellent.
7% good.
17 bucks bad.
Taste great, real MI cherry juice brewed in with the stout.
The cherry does not dominate, it's just right and compliments the coffe/chocolate stout.

clingman71
11-06-2011, 11:36
Just had a very fresh pint of Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA on tap. Wow, I always seem for forget how stellar this beer is, especially on tap.

smokinjoe
11-06-2011, 13:37
Cigar City "Jai Alai" IPA. Very serviceable.

clingman71
11-06-2011, 13:42

Just poured one for the Bengals -titans game. There is a unique flavor in jai alai that I can't quite put my finger on, but it makes it a nice change of pace IPA compared to the masses.

MarkEdwards
11-06-2011, 17:03
I'm really sorry that Douglas Adams died - I really love his Octoberfest and Winter Collection beers... :rolleyes:

BradleyC
11-09-2011, 19:52
I stopped in my local store today to say hello and the beer guy handed me a Lagunitas Gnarlywine 2010 that he had hidden from himself last year. The almost two years in the bottle has really tamed it. Nicely melded together. Big flavor and a long finish. I'm impressed with it.

smokinjoe
11-14-2011, 17:44
On a whim, I picked up a 4 pack of Atlanta Brewing Company, Red Brick --Brick Mason Series-- "Smoked Vanilla Gorilla" Ale Aged in Oak Whiskey barrels with Vanilla Beans. Try getting that one out clean at the bar...:crazy: The whim is a result of the last foray I made into two of the funkiest beers I've had in the past couple of years. Firstly, the A-B "Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale that was aged on bourbon barrel pieces and with vanilla beans, from a few years ago. And secondly, a German Rauchbier that I had a couple of years ago at a place in Helen, GA. Both, almost made me gag, but for different reasons. The Winter's BCA was sickenly sweet and way, way way, to vanilly. It took me 6 months to even think of the word vanilla, after that one. And, the Rauchbier that I tried (don't remember the maker, but I posted about it here) was extremely smokey, to the point of being unpleasant. So, maybe I'm thinking, Two wrongs make a right? I think that might be the ticket. This Red Brick is a nice balance of the two. Actually, they really toned down the vanilla in this one, and it's more to the smokey side. The whiskey barrel aging is evident, as well. It has sweetness, without the overpowering vanilla thing. Going in this direction works well, for my tastes. A nice cool evening sipper. Not for every day, but, probably worth a repeat purchase.

clingman71
11-14-2011, 19:43
Great Divide Fresh Hop, I love the fall harvest ales that are "wet" hopped and this one is no different.

stevegoz
11-15-2011, 09:55
Are any of you using the Untappd (http://untappd.com/home)website or app for your smart phone? It's a handy way to track your beer consumption. :cool:

ebo
11-15-2011, 19:03
Just tried a new one.... to me, anyway. Widmer Bros. Winter Style. Very good stuff.

Tennessee Dave
11-17-2011, 04:51
Smuttynose IPA and Founders Breakfast stout

Ejmharris
11-17-2011, 05:24
Hibernation Ale from Great Divide. Wishing I could find the oak aged Hibernation but doesn't appear to be close to Cincinnati. Also tried the Big Eddy Russian Imperial last night. Not normally a Leiney fan but I really enjoyed it.

clingman71
11-17-2011, 05:34
Cantillon St Lamvinus

BradleyC
11-17-2011, 05:48
Hibernation Ale from Great Divide. Wishing I could find the oak aged Hibernation but doesn't appear to be close to Cincinnati. Also tried the Big Eddy Russian Imperial last night. Not normally a Leiney fan but I really enjoyed it.

The GD Hibernation is one of my all time favorite beers. It is a seasonal and usually available November-February. Great divide does oak aging in a giant oak tank and they also age beers in Stranahan's whiskey barrels on occasion. I don't think they have done a regular oak aged Hibernation but there have been 2 releases of the barrel aged done in the past with the most recent being 2009. There are barrels of Hibernation aging as we speak and I've heard it might be ready for bottling in March or April 2012. In 2009 there were only 492 bottles and I don't they were distributed out of Denver. This batch is a good bit larger, but will still be tough to find out of Denver. They bottled the barrel aged yeti about a month and a half ago. I was told that only a handful of cases were sent out to the distributors as thank yous for supporting the product. Not sure if any of those made it to out of state shelves or not. If you can find it, the barrel aged Hibernation is exceptional though and definitely worth some level of effort.

stevegoz
11-17-2011, 12:47
Enjoyed my first taste of The Vixen from Sam Adams last night, part of a new line of bombers they're doing. Nice subdued chocolate and chili thing going on. Not overpowering, but a nice warm 8.5 percent bock.

smokinjoe
11-17-2011, 14:35
An Oaked Arrogant Bastard, after a very, very, long day. I earned my money today.

jcg9779
11-18-2011, 07:38

Just poured one for the Bengals -titans game. There is a unique flavor in jai alai that I can't quite put my finger on, but it makes it a nice change of pace IPA compared to the masses.

I had one of these the other day as well and thought it was pretty good. Not as overly hoppy as some IPAs can get, but still enough to remind me that it is an IPA. It was a good change from the lagers that I had been drinking.

Beer&Bourbon
11-18-2011, 08:11
Cantillon St Lamvinus

I love me some St. Lamvinus. I picked up a classic gueuze at Belmont not long ago, but haven't seen anything else in the state (or anywhere else for that matter) in awhile.

I popped a Rose at a tasting a week or so ago and absolutely loved it - barnyard, mud, cherry - just a great mix of complex aromas and flavors. I've picked up about 6 bottle of 3F gueuze in the last few months as well, but haven't tried the two side-by-side ever. I'm hoping the 3F does well in the comparison since it's much easier to get.

clingman71
11-18-2011, 19:12
I love me some St. Lamvinus. I picked up a classic gueuze at Belmont not long ago, but haven't seen anything else in the state (or anywhere else for that matter) in awhile.

I popped a Rose at a tasting a week or so ago and absolutely loved it - barnyard, mud, cherry - just a great mix of complex aromas and flavors. I've picked up about 6 bottle of 3F gueuze in the last few months as well, but haven't tried the two side-by-side ever. I'm hoping the 3F does well in the comparison since it's much easier to get.

Ah, Belmont, Dayton's diamond in the rough, best beer selection in town.

stiffchainey
11-19-2011, 05:14
German all time favourites:

Reissdorf Kölsch
Peters Kölsch
(special brew just allowed the be sold in and around cologne. hated by most of the other beerdrinkers in germany because of its very mellow and sweet taste, and the special 0.2 liter glasses ;-)

Current Favs:
Zywiec
Lech
Warka
(all polish beers, slightly stronger aka 5.6% and sweet)

Tony
11-19-2011, 20:27
Bell's Hell hath no fury

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.443613,-83.491363

Clavius
11-19-2011, 20:44
Heineken from a can. Classy, I know.

stiffchainey
11-20-2011, 14:03
Heineken is always a good choice, haha!

Bourbon Boiler
11-20-2011, 14:34
Knocked off a sixer of Bell's Winter Ale before watching Purdue and Iowa yesterday. Not a bad beer at all, I had never tried it before.

stiffchainey
11-20-2011, 14:56
Is it like a special brew with spices?

Jono
11-21-2011, 12:09
Stiffchainey, Q re US selection of mass produced German beer:

We see the following on the average grocery store shelf all of the time:

St. Pauli Girl.....export only?
Becks
Spatenbrau
Warsteiner
Hacker Pschorr
Paulaner

There are many others is larger liquor shops, but I was wondering if these
are considered in "low standing" in Germany?
Are they like our Budweiser, Miller, Pabst etc?

stiffchainey
11-21-2011, 12:21
St. Pauli Girl: Never heard of?
Spatenbräu: Not the best, but okay.
Warsteiner: Very good beer!
Hacker Pschorr: Bavarian beer, also good.
Paulaner: Wheat beer, one of the better.
Becks: Regains popularity right now in Germany, I don't like it.

I'm impressed, that is indeed a good sortiment of german beer! Is it popular in the USA?

I have to admit that I love Pabst Blue Ribbon! ;-)

Jono
11-21-2011, 12:25
I used to drink Pabst....years ago...IF it was ice cold!

I would say that the German beers are very popular, along with other imported beer from Europe and around the world. However, our numerous microbreweries have cut into the demand for imported beer as the beer aisles are very crowded with hundreds of selections. I try something new on a regular basis.

I think St. Pauli is export only.

Same thing with wine....years ago "Blue Nun" was all the rage...then I think the quality slipped or
it was never as good as the hype. The selections are so large now compared to the past you
better be good or you won't compete.

stiffchainey
11-21-2011, 12:32
Same goes for me, I try something different regularly. Right now it's polish and belgium beer.

Pabst Blue Ribbon is a cult-beer in Germany, served in some of the more trippier clubs, I guess this has something to do with the movie "Blue Velvet"...;-)

Haven't tried lots of US beers, just the regular: Coors, Miller, Anheuser, Budweiser, then Colt 45 (wow!) and some canadian stuff, aka Mooshead and LaBat, which weren't bad either.

Always up to new recommendations! BEEEEEER! ;-)

Cheers!

Jono
11-21-2011, 12:39
I try to avoid green bottle beer due to the light caused skunk effect...Moosehead etc.

I like Molson from Canada as a mass market product.

Colt 45....funny! It is associated with urban alcoholics. The same for Little Kings and Mickey's wide mouth. College drinks too! Bought for the higher alcohol content.

Some of the old brands have been going through an attempted revival..Pabst, Schlitz, Hamms etc. Not sure how successful, aimed at the nostalgia market.

stiffchainey
11-21-2011, 12:50
Yeah, I know. Colt 45 looks also slightly trashy, haha! But I liked it!

There is so many good stuff out there, almost impossible to try them all. Hamms and Schlitz is on my list, as well as Anchor steam. Thanks!

Whiskey Willie
11-21-2011, 12:53
I have to admit that I love Pabst Blue Ribbon! ;-)

There you go, stiffy . . . PBR is my fave American macrobrew swill.

There is a good German place just down the street from my office...Spaten Optimator is killer stuff.

stiffchainey
11-21-2011, 13:00
There is a cool club w/ live music in Cologne that used to sell PBR in cans for 4 bucks (€) each ;-)

Spaten Optimator is a Doppelbock, isn't it? The alcohol is so very well hidden that you don't see the big punch comin', haha ;-) Like it too, though.

If you like this, you should try some of the blackbeers...great stuff!

Whiskey Willie
11-21-2011, 13:03
I can get a case (24) of PBR for $15!

Yep, Optimator is a doppelbock, and I do enjoy the schwartzbiers!:bowdown:

stiffchainey
11-21-2011, 13:06
Is the Spaten expensive?

Whiskey Willie
11-21-2011, 13:11
Can't exactly remember. . .The half-liter Optimator goes from around $5 and the liter around $8.

:toast:

stiffchainey
11-21-2011, 13:13
That's super price, i guess! ;-)

Jono
11-21-2011, 13:24
Another old, once popular brand that disappeared in 2002...Lowenbrau.

Wiki

"From the mid-1970s until 2002, Löwenbräu beer sold in American markets was brewed under license to the Miller Brewing Company in the U.S. and Molson in Canada. Although it claimed to use the same recipe, this American-brewed version included corn in the grain bill, so the taste was markedly different from the Munich-brewed version (most notably lacking was the malty flavor characteristic of many German lagers). After 2002, Löwenbräu began directly exporting its beer from Munich. In the years before the Miller licensing arrangement, Löwenbräu Oktoberfest beer bottled for export for sale in the U.S. was of the "Märzen" style, an amber/copper hued beer in the 6.2+ ABV range. With the return of authentic German Löwenbräu to the U.S., as currently offered, this product is lighter in color (in the "helles" style)and of higher alcohol content than Löwenbräu Original."

I think it was style over substance-marketing success-the Lion image and people thinking it was imported.

Binny's carries the imported Lowenbrau.

stiffchainey
11-21-2011, 13:34
Löwenbrau is not a very common beer in Germany. It is actually pretty hard to get in my area, just in the bigger stores. Like it though.

If you like lager, you should try "Duckstein"!

Jono
11-21-2011, 13:45
I like Mexican beer too....German / Austrian immigrants developed the industry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_immigration_to_Mexico

German influence has had a lasting impact on Mexican beers, with brands such as Negra Modelo and Dos Equis Ambar, both deriving from a malty subset of dark lagers known as Vienna-style.

stiffchainey
11-21-2011, 13:55
Never heard of that, quite interesting. It's hard to get mexican beer here in Germany, despite Sol or Corona. A friend of mine lives now in Mexico City, when I visit him, I will have some beer for sure, haha!

smokinjoe
11-21-2011, 14:34
Intrigued by the ads I've seen for it lately, I picked up a six-pack of Guinness Black Lager. I had one over the weekend, and going with another one now. Strange metallic taste underneath. Generally, boring otherwise. I won't be rushing to pick this up again.

Jono
11-21-2011, 14:38
Was it can or bottles? I assume bottles.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-09-15/lifestyle/30161176_1_guinness-black-lager-stouts-new-beer

"....should be served cold..."

"It's OK, but there are better schwarzbiers out there, including Samuel Adams Black Lager."

Yep, not a glowing review.

smokinjoe
11-21-2011, 14:40
Was it can or bottles?

It was a bottle.

unclebunk
11-21-2011, 15:34
Intrigued by the ads I've seen for it lately, I picked up a six-pack of Guinness Black Lager. I had one over the weekend, and going with another one now. Strange metallic taste underneath. Generally, boring otherwise. I won't be rushing to pick this up again.

Same for me, Joe. The Guinness Black Lager is boring and weak compared to so many superior German black lagers. Try Kostritzer Schwarzbier next time around for a real treat!

unclebunk
11-21-2011, 15:36
Southern Tier 2XIPA last night and it's mighty fine! What to drink with tonight's chili?

stiffchainey
11-22-2011, 02:26
Even the irish complain about that Guinness is not what it used to be, haha! I still like it, straight from the tap it's a treat!

Tennessee Dave
11-22-2011, 15:53
Founders Porter and Smuttynose IPA

BradleyC
11-22-2011, 19:10
While running around town chasing down bourbon I found some de Struisse Pannepot Grand Reserva 2005.

Wow just about sums it up.

smokinjoe
11-26-2011, 15:20
Fixin' to head over to the neighbors house for a catfish fry, and warmin' up with a Bell's "Hell Hath No Fury" Ale. Really good.

OscarV
11-27-2011, 02:58
Not a trendy micro-brew but along with turkey enchiladas that I made I had a few bottles of cold Grolsch.
But after dinner I did pour a Bell's Cherry Stout, very nice.

clingman71
11-27-2011, 06:33
Port Brewing Mongo IPA during the Ohio State debacle.

docbible
11-27-2011, 08:02
I have been enjoying KY bourbon barrel ale after a recent trip to Ky. Love this stuff!! It should be available in my local market within a month. The stout is already on the shelf. Tim

stevegoz
11-29-2011, 06:43
Great Lakes Christmas Ale. It's like drinking potpourri. But in a good way. Super spices all around.

Clavius
12-01-2011, 16:40
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Mmmmmmm good!

MarkEdwards
12-01-2011, 16:44
Today I scored a bottle of 2011 Sam Adams Utopias. I will try to hold off tasting it until my daughter and son-in-law come down next week.

When I asked the clerk to sell me one, he was incredulous that anyone would pay that much for a beer :cool:. This shit had BETTER be good. :rolleyes:

yountvillewjs
12-01-2011, 18:28
Pliny the Elder. Gets a lot of hype, but damn if it isn't a fine beer.

MarkEdwards
12-04-2011, 08:45
We have a new burger joint with attached bar, called Grease Monkey that has good food and decent ales.

Today, I tried a bottle of Hop Stoopid, which was good, and a bottle of Rahrs Ugly Pug which was very good.

nor02lei
12-04-2011, 08:55
Today I scored a bottle of 2011 Sam Adams Utopias. I will try to hold off tasting it until my daughter and son-in-law come down next week.

When I asked the clerk to sell me one, he was incredulous that anyone would pay that much for a beer :cool:. This shit had BETTER be good. :rolleyes:

You can rest sure it is Mark!

Leif

MarkEdwards
12-04-2011, 11:58
Today I scored a bottle of 2011 Sam Adams Utopias. ... This shit had BETTER be good. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty much counting on it, but it's good to have verification.

I'm also confident that my daughter and her husband will like it, as they don't appear to be big fans of mass-marketed yellow water. At any rate, it will be nice to see what their opinions are as well.

smokinjoe
12-04-2011, 13:11
A Sam Adams "Old Fezziwig Ale" as Mrssmokinjoe and I put up the outdoor Christmas decorations. This is from the Holiday Sampler pack that they put out every year. For years the weak one (IMO, anyway) in the box was the Cranberry Lambic. I just hated it. Last year, I think they went with the Black Lager to replace that? It was much better. This year, it's a coffee flavored beer. I believe they call it "Black and Brew"? It's OK, but I really love this Fezziwig Ale.
Cheers!

Beer&Bourbon
12-04-2011, 13:18

Leif

I'll second this. I think it's quite delicious with tons of complexity. My only qualm is that it's overpriced; I could have phenomenal bourbon + phenomenal brandy + phenomenal barrel aged beer all for the price of a bottle of Utopias. That said, everyone should try it at least once. (Admittedly when I finish off my bottle, I may purchase another. So loose are my convictions in terms of money spent for good beverages.)

clingman71
12-07-2011, 20:40
Had a few Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ales tonight, very tasty.

AaronWF
12-08-2011, 08:43
I have recently become enamored of Liefmans Goudenband. I have been conditioned to respond negatively to the term Saison, as the Saisons I have tried have been way too tart and/or sweet for my taste in beer. The Goudenband is not a saison, but it has a corner of the tartness I've associated with saison. It's a brown ale that achieves an amazing balance of malt/tart/bitter/sweet.

I explained to my wife that it was kind of in between a beer and a wine, even though that describes a beer I would normally have no interest in. This stuff just hits the spot for me. At 8%, polishing off two bombers on a Sunday afternoon make me feel good, real good. I think it would also go well with rich or strongly flavored foods, as the mellow tartness can deftly cut through big flavors.

roostercogburn
12-09-2011, 08:01
Liefmans Goudenband is one of my favorite beers. I think you're right on about it being the right amount of sweet and tart, too. One of the local stores recently ran a special on them for 7 or 8 bucks a bottle, and I walked out with as many as I could carry. For my money you can't beat a good sour ale.

smokinjoe
12-09-2011, 15:34
I'm continuing my full sleighride of Christmas brews. Tonight, it's Sweetwater's Festive Ale. Always, one of my favorites of the Season.

Clavius
12-09-2011, 22:09
Rogue Santa's Private Reserve. Dead Guy Ale is probably my favorite beer on the planet. But this Santa's Private Reserve is good, too!

smokinjoe
12-13-2011, 20:01
Totally digging on a 2009 Goose Island Christmas Ale. Seriously, one of the most interesting beers I've ever tasted. Huge, thick, massively flavorful. Lots of black licorice. Shtuff floatin' around. Cold, or at room temp, it is an experience. Just, marvelous beer.

T Comp
12-14-2011, 05:45
Totally digging on a 2009 Goose Island Christmas Ale. Seriously, one of the most interesting beers I've ever tasted. Huge, thick, massively flavorful. Lots of black licorice. Shtuff floatin' around. Cold, or at room temp, it is an experience. Just, marvelous beer.

Gee Joe, Now you got me all baffled and jealous, with plenty of these here in the motherland, why I never bought let alone bunkered any of these. I'll have to go find me an '11, maybe while on the way to the post office, where I keep checking for that surely lost piece of mail containing my acceptance letter into the GBS.

smokinjoe
12-14-2011, 09:41
Gee Joe, Now you got me all baffled and jealous, with plenty of these here in the motherland, why I never bought let alone bunkered any of these. I'll have to go find me an '11, maybe while on the way to the post office, where I keep checking for that surely lost piece of mail containing my acceptance letter into the GBS.

Thad, I don't think you'll be disappointed in it. Very tasty beer.

Unfortunately, there has been a delay in finalizing your Membership. I'm afraid your initiation fee check bounced, and something about your personal references came into question. I'm sure it's a mix-up at the bank, or some sort of misunderstanding, but we have to make sure we do our due diligence, in order to maintain our high standards of Membership. I was fine with proceeding with finalization of your Membership, but GBS Legal advised against. Thank you for your patience.

jcg9779
12-14-2011, 14:23
I'm continuing my full sleighride of Christmas brews. Tonight, it's Sweetwater's Festive Ale. Always, one of my favorites of the Season.

This has been my go-to beer when I'm out and about in Atlanta this holiday season...I find it to be a great seasonal release as well.

jcg9779
12-14-2011, 14:25
Unfortunately, there has been a delay in finalizing your Membership. I'm afraid your initiation fee check bounced, and something about your personal references came into question. I'm sure it's a mix-up at the bank, or some sort of misunderstanding, but we have to make sure we do our due diligence, in order to maintain our high standards of Membership. I was fine with proceeding with finalization of your Membership, but GBS Legal advised against. Thank you for your patience.

Isn't Jimmy in charge of the finances? That could explain it........

MarkEdwards
12-14-2011, 15:25
Enjoying several different ales from Rahr's this week, and haven't found one I don't like yet.

MarkEdwards
12-14-2011, 15:36
I've got the coupon code fore a free Samuel Adams Utopias glass (Riedel). I've compared my other Riedel vs the Glencairn and find I like the Glencairn much better.

So, does anyone want the coupon code? UPS ground for it runs about $9.00, and they only ship via UPS. If you do, PM me and I'll send the coupon code to the first person.

IMPORTANT NOTE: On the website, they have shipping restrictions on this offer:
"Due to legal regulations, the coupon offer cannot be redeemed to ship to the following states: Alabama, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, Vermont, and Virginia. Orders shipping to any of these states will be cancelled."

BradleyC
12-14-2011, 19:35
I have the Utopias Reidel glass and like it better than the Glencairns. It has a heavier base which is appreciated and I really like the thin walls near the top of the glass. It is very well worth the $9 shipping/handling charge.

BradleyC
12-14-2011, 19:39
On a more related note, I just enjoyed some de Dolle Stille Nacht 2003. A local brewpub bought a keg of it 8 years ago and decided to tap it last night. A very nice treat for all who got to enjoy it. I probably won't see too many of those again anytime soon.

Eth3rStrik3r
12-14-2011, 22:38
Cleaned out my garage today and found a couple bottles of Goose Island Honkers Ale from last year, still good!

smokinjoe
12-16-2011, 14:41
Vixen brought me a Bell's Christmas Ale, and Santa is starting off his weekend with it now. This brewery just doesn't miss. Even my daughter's sheltie is licking the empty bottle trying to get out the last drops. Another winner from Bell's.

MarkEdwards
12-17-2011, 13:15
Discovered Costco has Samuel Adams Infinium ale, so I grabbed a bottle. Will be tasting it this weekend.

MarkEdwards
12-17-2011, 16:42
Discovered Costco has Samuel Adams Infinium ale, so I grabbed a bottle. Will be tasting it this weekend.

Just opened this. It's a little over 10% ABV, and comes in a champagne-style bottle.

On the pour, it has a big, fluffy head. Recommend letting the head go down a bit before nosing it. :grin:

Very fruity, sort of cidery. Light mouth feel, but the palate quickly shifts to a suggestion of malt and hops, which intensifies after a few seconds, leaving a very nice aftertaste.

I wouldn't buy this all the time, but at USD $15 (at Costco - your price may vary), it's a nice champagne alternative for those who, like Tom T. Hall, like beer.

dridge11
12-17-2011, 18:33
I'm enjoying some seasonal brew tonight....Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper Imperial Stout. I'm not usually a big dark beer guy, but this has me captivated. Really killer stuff.

MarkEdwards
12-17-2011, 19:34
I'm enjoying some seasonal brew tonight....Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper Imperial Stout. I'm not usually a big dark beer guy, but this has me captivated. Really killer stuff.

I've become really fond of the dark brews to the point of not really caring for the pale ones any longer. Still, I've found I really don't like the Imperials much - too much of a licorice taste to my liking.

I've fallen in love with brews from Guinness, Stone and Rahr.

dridge11
12-17-2011, 19:35
I'm still a hop head, first and foremost.

MarkEdwards
12-17-2011, 19:36
I'm still a hop head, first and foremost.

Amen, brother! We have a lot of good stuff on the shelves in the DFW area!

dridge11
12-17-2011, 19:47
I moved to Cali from Plano...Now I'm 30 mins from Russian River Brewing Co, one of the holy grails of IPA.

smokinjoe
12-22-2011, 13:04
While picking up some bourbon yesterday, my daughter spied all of the Ridgeway Brewery X-Mas Beers. Of course, had to pick them all up. Bad Elf, Criminally Bad Elf, Insanely Bad Elf, etc. Drinking the Pickled Santa Christmas Ale now. Not great, but OK. And, my daughter gets a kick out of the labels. So, I'm happy.

clingman71
12-22-2011, 13:10
I moved to Cali from Plano...Now I'm 30 mins from Russian River Brewing Co, one of the holy grails of IPA.

Their IPAs are good, very good even, but their Belgian sours are incredible.

I'm opening a FFF Black Sun Stout right after work.

Young Blacksmith
12-22-2011, 16:57
The Rahr brewing company has really surprised me. Their Octoberfest was great, and a few other offerings have all been very good. I think their bock was great too.

I'd not hesitate to pick up another 6'er.

I've been enjoying a Dogfish Head Raison d Etre every now and then too.

moose
12-22-2011, 23:04
Enjoying a brew from Great Divide Brewing,

Their YETI Imperial Stout, pours a deep rich black, with a dark brown coffee like thin laced head. Nose of dairy and molasses, tastes of rich malt and carmel. Finish is long and lingering, just a great beer, picked it up on a whim as I am on an unexpected dark beer kick, really glad I did.

jcg9779
12-24-2011, 21:23
Had some Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic earlier today as well as some Shiner Cheer with brisket this evening. Good beers for Christmas Eve.

ACDetroit
12-25-2011, 00:09
Left Hands, Wake up dead Imperial Stout. Really liking this one, so I stocked up with a few.

clingman71
12-25-2011, 08:14
FFF Alpha Klaus and DH Bitches Brew.

StraightNoChaser
12-27-2011, 08:39
Going to have a beer tasting tonight... here's what's on the menu so far

RRBC Pliny the Elder
Sam Adams Infinium
Mikkeller "It's Alive"
Mikkeler Monk's Brew
Deschutes Stoic Quad
DFH Midas Touch

Might have a couple others join the party by tonight :grin:

clingman71
12-29-2011, 19:09
Had a few pints of Founders Breakfast Stout tonight, so much going on in this beer. Pretty big also, especially drinking multiple, thus the lack of a "what bourbon are you enjoying tonight" post.

maxblack
12-30-2011, 02:09
Duvel, Leffe Blonde, Orval and Grolsch are my beers of choice at present.

Tony
12-30-2011, 12:27
Some DFH 60http://img.tapatalk.com/442b8f8c-1e8b-7f0c.jpg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.443712,-83.491667

jcg9779
01-12-2012, 21:14
Enjoyed a few Sweetwater 420s tonight while out with a buddy from high school that was in town for work.

AaronWF
01-14-2012, 21:55
I'll tell you what, this Hopslam from Bell's is pretty slamming! That gooey hop smacks your tongue and brings that nice, chill numb, like what you get when you're standing on fastly vibrating ground or holding some kind of vibrating something.

It's brewed with honey, which I don't need, but it does add a pleasant note to the 10% abv.

Chris24
01-15-2012, 02:55
Abyss 2010.

"Best after 11/2011"

clingman71
01-15-2012, 08:44
I'll tell you what, this Hopslam from Bell's is pretty slamming! That gooey hop smacks your tongue and brings that nice, chill numb, like what you get when you're standing on fastly vibrating ground or holding some kind of vibrating something.

It's brewed with honey, which I don't need, but it does add a pleasant note to the 10% abv.

The January Hopslam release is a hophead's equivalent to the VW/BTAC release. Big, chewy, hoppy goodness. I bought a minikeg last year, no luck in finding one so far in '12.

BradleyC
01-17-2012, 19:59
I shared a Dogfish 120min IPA with a friend tonight. I hadn't had it in a number of years and now I remember why. The hype train got the best of us and we took the plunge on it. What an aweful, syrupy, hot mess! There was no balance (that may be the point, I'm not sure) and it was hardly drinkable. I had a real hard time getting through 6 ounces of it. I won't bother to purchase that one again and wouldn't ever suggest anyone else does. I don't even see the value in this being educational or experimental. It just plain sucks.

Eth3rStrik3r
01-17-2012, 20:24
I shared a Dogfish 120min IPA with a friend tonight. I hadn't had it in a number of years and now I remember why. The hype train got the best of us and we took the plunge on it. What an aweful, syrupy, hot mess! There was no balance (that may be the point, I'm not sure) and it was hardly drinkable. I had a real hard time getting through 6 ounces of it. I won't bother to purchase that one again and wouldn't ever suggest anyone else does. I don't even see the value in this being educational or experimental. It just plain sucks.

IPAs are always super hoppy, I can't get past that part myself. I typically prefer maltier beers like Bocks and Weissbiers. Tonight I am drinking anything, but I just finished off 2 5 gallon batches of beer I am brewing.

Ejmharris
01-17-2012, 20:30
Had a home brew barrel aged chocolate oatmeal stout. Wow was there a lot going on in there. Was better as warmed up a bit. Going to participate in the next brewing session so I can walk away with some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradleyC
01-17-2012, 20:37
Some of the best beer I have had has been homebrew.

Homebrewers are excellent friends to have :grin:

Ejmharris
01-17-2012, 20:41
Spent Sunday brewing a pre-prohibition ale for fundraiser party in April. Enjoyed quite a bit of his stock over the 8 hour period. Will gladly offer a helping hand any time he needs it as the beer was as good as commercially available beer if not better.

Ejmharris
01-18-2012, 19:38
Great divide Yeti - oak aged espresso imperial stout. Fortunately had a good friend swing by to share the big 22oz with. Yum!

Eth3rStrik3r
01-18-2012, 22:23
Got a 12 pack of Shiner Bock from my mom, had the first bottle from it and it tastes pretty bland for a bock, maybe I am just used to doppelbocks too much.

c2walker
01-19-2012, 22:29
I picked up some Hopslam after learning of its arrival through twitter. Good thing I checked early too 'cause the store was sold out in an hour with a 2 six-pack limit. Well...I think you're begging for disappointment with anything as hyped as Hopslam and, after cracking a bottle, I thought it was....good. Okay, very good. Best in class? No way! I still dream of the bottle of Bootlegger's Knuckle Sandwich I came across by chance over the holidays. As a side note, I shared the Hopslam with a couple friends tonight and a cat-owner took a whiff and exclaimed "this smells just like cat piss!" She then took a sip and said it was the best beer she's ever had. I've heard of getting urine when nosing beer before, but I don't know if I'd be able to get past that. As an anatomist I pick up formaldehyde in food and drink from time to time and that's a deal breaker.

Clavius
01-20-2012, 18:52
I bought a few craft beers the other day including Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, Rogue John John Juniper and Rogue John John Dead Guy. While I love Dogfish Head's 60 and 90-minute IPA's I couldn't stand the World Wide Stout. It was like barleywine or something to me. And I typically like stouts. The World Wide Stout was just too much, though (I actually poured it out... $8 down the drain!) Rogue's John John Juniper was ok. There was a flavor on the back end that I didn't care for but it was definitely an interesting brew. And tonight I'm drinking the John John Dead Guy. The regular Dead Guy Ale is probably my favorite beer. Period. So I was anxious to try this one considering that it's aged in whiskey barrels (much like the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale brewed by Alltech here in Lexington). It has a similar profile to the Bourbon Barrel Ale but tastes more complex, in my opinion. Of the few beers I've had that were aged in used bourbon/whiskey barrels the John John is definitely the best.

bad_scientist
01-20-2012, 19:09
I bought a few craft beers the other day including Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, Rogue John John Juniper and Rogue John John Dead Guy. While I love Dogfish Head's 60 and 90-minute IPA's I couldn't stand the World Wide Stout. It was like barleywine or something to me. And I typically like stouts. The World Wide Stout was just too much, though (I actually poured it out... $8 down the drain!) Rogue's John John Juniper was ok. There was a flavor on the back end that I didn't care for but it was definitely an interesting brew. And tonight I'm drinking the John John Dead Guy. The regular Dead Guy Ale is probably my favorite beer. Period. So I was anxious to try this one considering that it's aged in whiskey barrels (much like the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale brewed by Alltech here in Lexington). It has a similar profile to the Bourbon Barrel Ale but tastes more complex, in my opinion. Of the few beers I've had that were aged in used bourbon/whiskey barrels the John John is definitely the best.

Well, the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout supposedly is aged in PVW barrels. That might be a decent beer :)

jcg9779
01-20-2012, 22:24
Had some Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout last night...good stuff!

smokinjoe
01-21-2012, 12:51
I was ecstatic to find Sweetwater's "Exodus Porter" yesterday at my local shop. I haven't seen it in a couple of years, as I think they discontinued it. They must be bringing it back. Good for me, as it was probably my favorite Porters out there. Drinking one now while waiting for the next round of thunderstorms to roll through. The thing I like about the EP is it's balance of sweetness and bitterness. Just, so nicely balanced. I am very happy to see this beer around again. It's like welcoming back a long lost friend. 2012, in a number of ways, is starting off very well.

rocky480
01-21-2012, 20:16
Founders Imperial Stout tonight. Wow. That was one good stout.

Clavius
01-21-2012, 21:18
Rogue Dead Guy Ale!!!

moose
01-21-2012, 21:27
Wake Up Dead Imperial Stout from Left Hand, seriously great beer. Most of left hand's brews I don't care for, but their stouts are always fantastic.

stevegoz
01-23-2012, 10:43
Well, the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout supposedly is aged in PVW barrels. That might be a decent beer :)

The BCS Rare was aged in Pappy 23 barrels, which were then used again to age King Henry. Both were one-offs.

The regular BCS is aged in barrels from Heaven Hill.

dridge11
01-23-2012, 11:34
Had Life & Limb 2, the collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head. It was stunning, I need to go see if they have more!

Lost Pollito
01-23-2012, 11:45
Had some Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout last night. Creamy delight.

clingman71
01-23-2012, 12:28
Had a Stone 15 yeaterday. I have a love/hate relationshio with Black IPAs, and yesterday was one of the hate days. I love dark roasty beers, and I really love hops,but together they just don't quite get there for me.

bigtoys
01-23-2012, 21:47
had a bottle of Lost Coast Tangerine (wheat beer).
Great orange taste!!
will be buying another 6 pack tomorrow. and a Downtown Brown (also L.C.)

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/TangbeerBR.jpg

brritscold
01-24-2012, 14:41
had some Goose Island while I was in Chicago, and I'm now a convert! The Pere Jacques that I had was the first beer that I've had which I truly enjoyed on its own... a bomber went down easy, with a pleasant richness on the palate and smooth, sweet malty notes that would be delicious for any whiskey lover. I've since sampled the Matilda (wild yeasty note, nice sour refreshing flavor), Fleur (great floral notes... brewed with hibiscus), Sofie (tart, citrusy, nice), and Pepe Nero (dark, smooth, with a hint of delicious spice from the peppercorns). Have a bottle of the Madame Rose that I'm saving to share with a beer-loving friend. Overall, a wonderful experience, and I'm definitely going to seek out more beer from now on. I've since tried the Affliget blond, which was good if not especially memorable; the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, which was a little too bitter for my tastes [still a novice beer aficionado], and a Lefthand Milk Stout, which was absurdly creamy and delicious. If only the Goose Island Bourbon County Stouts were more readily available...

BradleyC
01-25-2012, 19:11
Tonight I am treating myself and opened a Bruery Melange 3. Its a blend of a ridiculous imperial stout, wheatwine, and an old/strong ale brewed using the solera method. I think the three individual parts are barrel aged, then blended, then rebarreled. I professed this as my favorite beer a couple of years ago when I first had it. I went through a lot of trouble to get some this year. I am glad that I did. This beer is absolutely amazing. Deep oak, caramel, vanilla, chocolate, and warm figs on the nose. The taste is layered thick. There is a lot going on here. Dark fruits, brown sugar, oak tannins, caramel, vanilla, semi sweet chocolate, slight bourbon influence, and a little birthday cake. You can't smell any alcohol for it weighing in at 15% but you know its got to be a higher abv by having this level of ingredients in it. I would drink this everyday if I could. If I had to sum it up with one word, it would have to be "Damn!"

smokinjoe
01-26-2012, 18:00
Had lunch with a customer today at the Stone Brewery in Escondido. Enjoyed a 2011 Double Bastard and the Cali-Belgique IPA. Both were delicious, but as great as they were, paled in comparison to the "Mac and Beer Cheese" I had to eat and the drop-dead gorgeous venue of that brewery with it's outdoor seating and large garden. Simply stunning. If I worked near there, I think I would be a daily visitor.

clingman71
01-26-2012, 19:53
Dogfish Head Burton Baton on tap, stellar.

AaronWF
01-26-2012, 21:49
Great Lakes' Conway's Irish Ale is in the stores. I fell in love with this stuff last year and was devastated that it was only a temporary seasonal. I'm thrilled to have it fresh again, but I must remark that this year's batch is leaving me with a bit of a different impression; it's creamier and carries more sweetness than the taut brew of last year. It's still close to a perfect session-able beer for me (checking in at 6.5% ABV), but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.

pfiest
02-01-2012, 12:00
My favorites of the past few nights are:
Founders Breakfast Stout
Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Bell's Best Brown Ale
Great Lakes Burning River

DaveOfAtl
02-01-2012, 20:00
Anybody get their hands on the Bell's Hopslam? It was all gone by the time I went to pick some up (which was the night it was released in GA).

Ejmharris
02-01-2012, 20:31
Anybody get their hands on the Bell's Hopslam? It was all gone by the time I went to pick some up (which was the night it was released in GA).

I had one at a buddies house. We had just spent 8 hours brewing a pre-prohibition ale and trying a lot of the home brews he had stored up. He pulled the hopsslam out after dinner. It was full assault of hops on the palette. Wooooo! It took me a coupe of drinks to adjust to it but it was fantastic.

stevegoz
02-05-2012, 08:09
Tried this one for the first time last night as part of a mixed sixer. Sweet and creamy definitely summed it up for me. I haven't had many Great Lakes offerings (which is odd, considering my love of breweries from the Great Lakes region), but I definitely picked up a resemblance to the Christmas Ale, minus the ginger and cinnamon.

Great Lakes' Conway's Irish Ale is in the stores. I fell in love with this stuff last year and was devastated that it was only a temporary seasonal. I'm thrilled to have it fresh again, but I must remark that this year's batch is leaving me with a bit of a different impression; it's creamier and carries more sweetness than the taut brew of last year. It's still close to a perfect session-able beer for me (checking in at 6.5% ABV), but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.

bad_scientist
02-05-2012, 08:49
HOPSLAM! Glad it finally made it to DC.

AaronWF
02-05-2012, 10:51
Tried this one for the first time last night as part of a mixed sixer. Sweet and creamy definitely summed it up for me. I haven't had many Great Lakes offerings (which is odd, considering my love of breweries from the Great Lakes region), but I definitely picked up a resemblance to the Christmas Ale, minus the ginger and cinnamon.

I find a family resemblance in all Great Lakes beers I've had, much more so than beers from any other distillery I'm familiar with. There's a water minerality to them that I'm really keen on.

I stopped in at the Long Room before dinner last night and had GL's Black Out Stout. It was a very drinkable stout with plenty of flavor but somewhat laking in body, and it displayed the GL's minerality right up front. I also had some Founder's Red's Rye. I've had it before but it tasted better last night than I remember it.

I also noticed that they have some Big Hugs coming to their taps soon. Soon as in they have the keg(s) and the owner will hook it up when the mood strikes him. They are also having some sort of Goose Island event in the coming weeks where they will be pouring some BCS '09 and '10 from their taps... That I do not want to miss!

BTW, I realize that this is last season's beer thread...

Ejmharris
02-05-2012, 10:57
Found heaven on earth last night, Hopslam on draft.

clingman71
02-05-2012, 10:59
Found heaven on earth last night, Hopslam on draft.

I believe that Cock n Bull Hyde Park is tapping CBS on Thursday night.

stevegoz
02-05-2012, 11:54
I find a family resemblance in all Great Lakes beers I've had, much more so than beers from any other distillery I'm familiar with. There's a water minerality to them that I'm really keen on.

It's the water, indeed. Samuel Smith is another brewery that has a "house" style driven by the water -- kind of metallic, maybe a bit souring, in SS's case.

stevegoz
02-08-2012, 10:22
I'm trying to get into the Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout -- had my second last night, and just wasn't "feeling" it. It's sweet, it's a bit malty, it's easygoing...and leaves me wanting something more.

I like the few cream stouts I've had (Sam Adams, Bell's Double), and it's my understanding that cream and milk stouts are both so labelled due to the use of lactose. So what am I missing with the well-respected Left Hand?

dridge11
02-13-2012, 14:41
I need to get some Hopslam sent to CA. I ended up with 24 bottles last year. Headed to get Pliny The Younger on draft at the brewery tomorrow.

bigtoys
03-02-2012, 21:03
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0458.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0465.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0496.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0473.jpg

all good. the Leiney loses its head fast and is a little thin, but quite nutty.
the Boont was quite tasty; spicy.

ebo
03-03-2012, 11:49

I'm a big fan of Great Lakes Brewery. There isn't much I don't like from them.

Another brand/brewery I find has a "house" profile is Sierra Nevada. Every offering I've tried from them has that signature dry/bitter/overly hoppy note to it.

I like dry and hoppy..... to a point, but this brewery is over the top with the bitter, hoppy thing, IMO.

jtexaslonestar
03-03-2012, 20:02
Too preoccupied to respond last night, but was drinking Shiner and Lone Star to celebrate Texas Independence Day, even though I live in Georgia. When people ask where I am from, my wife responds that I am from Texas for me! :cool: Best of both worlds!:grin: