PDA

View Full Version : New to bourbon

Young Guns
10-13-2011, 17:57
Hey everyone. Recently discovered bourbon and this site. LOVE both! Like the title says, I have just only recently started drinking bourbon. Started off with some Old Charter 8 year, which I absolutely love. Since then, I have tried Old Crow (because of the price), Early Times (which goes great with Diet Dr Pepper) and a few days ago got some Fighting Cock (after reading about it on here). I also just bought a Glencairn after reading about them on here. I absolutely love just sitting around in my recliner and sipping bourbon neat. All the complexities of the flavors and smells amazes me everytime I drink it. I look forward to learning more about the whole experience of tasting bourbons and trying more and more new ones. I have been going through all the BOTM's and I think my next bottle will be either WT101 or BT. Anyway, thanks for having me here and I look forward to learning and tasting more.

Bourbon Boiler
10-13-2011, 19:47
Welcome aboard. The advice I always give new bourbon drinkers whether it's here or in person is to avoid climbing the shelf too high too soon. BT, WT101, and maybe Makers Mark would be good next steps. I mention MM only because it is a wheater, and thus more noticably different than the others. I personally think it's a very boring pour, but it's a good stepping stone to others.

Welcome to the board, and don't be afraid to ask.

Young Guns
10-13-2011, 20:03
Thanks for the advice. I think i'm going to go BT, WT101 and the MM as my next three bottles. Really looking forward to trying the MM because of never having a wheat bourbon before.

LongBeachScott
10-13-2011, 23:40
I would recommend as a newbie you work your way around different makers and different styles. You don't necessarily need to spend a lot of money to do that. I recommend focusing on the styles of the major makers.

Since you mention wheaters, the primary wheated bourbons that are out there are Maker's Mark, Old Fitzgerald, and W.L. Weller. These are pretty widely available. Plus, they are made by three different distillers and are distinct from each other.

I would also advise that you try to avoid thinking about which are "better" and try to focus on identifying what flavors you taste and the impressions you get of each bourbon. Then, after you have formed your own thoughts, come here and search the bourbons you have tried and look at the tasting notes of others.

Tucker
10-14-2011, 08:15
Welcome to the board!

I like kickert's suggestions in the thread "How to Get Started"...

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=248939#post248939

Be sure to read his responses, also.

Young Guns
10-14-2011, 17:50
thanks everyone. i'll be sure to check that thread, Tucker.

Young Guns
10-26-2011, 15:37
Apparently I'm spending WAY too much time on this site. Last night I had a dream that I was riding a bicycle (for whatever reason) from liquor store to liquor store looking for a bottle of Weller 12. So now I'm dreaming of bourbon. WTF......:rolleyes:

jcg9779
10-27-2011, 18:37
Apparently I'm spending WAY too much time on this site. Last night I had a dream that I was riding a bicycle (for whatever reason) from liquor store to liquor store looking for a bottle of Weller 12. So now I'm dreaming of bourbon. WTF......:rolleyes:

It's a sickness...I've had very similar dreams though!

Bourbon Boiler
10-27-2011, 20:07

If you posted that expecting the readers to find that to be a bizarre dream, you're posting on the wrong forum. It is a little strange that you were on a bike I suppose. :slappin:

Young Guns
10-29-2011, 13:30
Well, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one dreaming about bourbon. I didn't get any Weller 12 this weekend. The store I went to was out, but did get OWA and it was definitely different than anything I have had so far. Had to add a bit of water. Tasted pretty good.