PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Gift packs

Enoch
10-19-2011, 14:17
Just left Frugal and got two new gift packs:

Wild Turkey 101 with new label and a leather covered flask.
Four Roses Small Batch with a flask with Whisky Mag 2011 distiller of the year printed on it.

What have you seen?

StraightNoChaser
10-19-2011, 14:27
Oooh I want a Four Roses flask

pepcycle
10-19-2011, 14:35
Isn't it time for Master Distiller Bobbleheads?

theDon
10-19-2011, 17:13

Let me know if you see those gift packs. I'm in love with some Four Roses small batch. Spirits stopped carrying it as quickly as they started.

ethangsmith
10-19-2011, 17:41
Looks like PA is starting to get gift sets. Beam's "Small Batch Sampler" in 200ML size is hitting the shelves. I can't wait to see what WT does this year. I wish Heaven Hill would do stuff with EC or EW. The egg nog just isn't enough.

camduncan
10-19-2011, 18:28
Guys, a question: Is the Evan Williams Mint Julep mix part of a regular gift pack, or is it something I can buy any time (if I can find a store that sells it?)

DeanSheen
10-19-2011, 20:31

Me too. Pics???

Err found it here: http://www.coolspringswines.com/holiday-gift-sets/

Enoch
10-20-2011, 04:04
Me too. Pics???

Err found it here: http://www.coolspringswines.com/holiday-gift-sets/

That was last years distillery flask. Here is a pic of this years.

DeanSheen
10-20-2011, 07:03
Thanks E.

Too bad they didn't just stick with the rose motif though. That's sort of a crappy obscure award to emblazon on the flask methinks.

StraightNoChaser
10-20-2011, 12:31
Agreed, I don't want one anymore :/

fishnbowljoe
10-23-2011, 15:47
Stopped at a new store in town. They had the "usual" suspects. :rolleyes: They did have a KC Premium Coaster Gift Set. Not sure on the price. The lady made a call. It was either $39.00 or $29.00. The lady that made the phone call was unsure too. :skep: I passed. Joe

sailor22
11-04-2011, 10:45
Appleton XO Rum - for the same cost as the shelf bottle the gift pack has two authentic Riedel whiskey glasses for free in their Holiday set. These are very thin glasses. There are no brand markings on them save the typical very small Riedel logo etched in the bottom and since they retail for about $10 each that makes this pack a bargain. Almost like buying two glasses and getting a bottle of Rum for free.

Zaya Rum - The Zaya gift pack has two brandy snifter style glasses - unfortunately with "Zaya Rum" etched on the side. The shape is perfect for enjoying Zaya and coincidently for Whiskey also.

Martel Cordon Bleu Cognac gift pack has two lovely very heavy glasses that are a little unusual but should work well with Whiskey or Cognac.

StraightNoChaser
11-04-2011, 10:50
Appleton XO Rum - for the same cost as the shelf bottle the gift pack has two authentic Riedel whiskey glasses for free in their Holiday set. These are very thin glasses. There are no brand markings on them save the typical very small Riedel logo etched in the bottom and since they retail for about $10 each that makes this pack a bargain. Almost like buying two glasses and getting a bottle of Rum for free.
I will definitely keep an eye out for this one. Helluva deal!

MarkEdwards
11-06-2011, 17:10
The only gift set I have seen so far has been the Maker's Mark one with a couple of glasses, with the red wax dripping up from the bottoms of the glasses. Well that and the Chimay 3-pack with chalice, but that's ale.

stevegoz
11-06-2011, 18:12
No more MM ornaments, eh?

I received three of those sets as gifts last year, but one of the ornaments was a double. Fortunately a little store near me had chucked the boxes and was offering an ornament of the customer's choice this past summer with a MM purchase. I asked if I could just buy the ornaments, and got a "go ahead, take 'em" from the owner.

And to think, the closest thing to bourbon that I've bought from that particular store (which has a great beer selection but not much by way of whiskey) was some Bourbon County Stout....

BradleyC
11-06-2011, 18:48
I will definitely keep an eye out for this one. Helluva deal!

I bought this gift pack last year. I really like the Reidel glasses a lot. When I got mine, they had 2 sets to choose from. There was the 12 year and the NAS Rum. Each pack had different sized "Spirits Glasses." I don't remember which pack had which glass. I do think the NAS pack with the 2 glasses was $20 and the 12 year was $25? Definitely not a bad deal.

StraightNoChaser
11-06-2011, 20:40
The only gift set I have seen so far has been the Maker's Mark one with a couple of glasses, with the red wax dripping up from the bottoms of the glasses. Well that and the Chimay 3-pack with chalice, but that's ale.
Waxy glassware is sooo 2007

p_elliott
11-07-2011, 08:21
I stopped in the local liquor store the other night and they had a WT 101 gift set that had a leather wrapped flask in it. I almost bought it, I don't have much use for another flask but it is WT. If it's still there this weekend I will probably get it.

beerfactory
11-08-2011, 17:54
do you guys have luck w/ the metal flasks? I had two (gifts from the groom for being in weddings) and have found they produce an off taste. now, I just use a 200mL bottle and it works great. I'd like a nicer looking flask, as I use it all the time...

dhedrick
11-08-2011, 18:29
I'd love some input on this too - would like something nicer looking, and don't mind spending the money on something that would work well. I like to bring bourbon and glasses with me pretty much everywhere in case the occasion arises.

silverfish
11-09-2011, 08:14
My flask of choice if the "hip flask" shaped design (fits nicely
into back jeans or inside jacket pocket.) Attached lid is a
must (trust me!) Some folks have experienced problems
with the "welded" bottom design while others (including me)
have used 'em for years with no trouble.

Size matters!

Young Blacksmith
11-09-2011, 16:10
I think all the ferrous metal ones will produce an after-taste if you let it sit a while. I make sure to empty mine out in a day or two, and let it air.

I would like to try a silver one to see if it's any different.

bourduc
11-09-2011, 16:53
Saw Jim Beam white gift set with two rocks glasses with Jim Beam inscribed. I decided to hold out to see if Beam black has a gift pack.

Beer&Bourbon
11-10-2011, 09:48
I always take a look since a lot of these are truly gift sets - i.e. same price for the bottle with an additional gift of some sort. The appleton estate one is the best I've seen. I liked the MM ornaments, too.

Party source usually has most of the gift sets available. They put pictures up online:

http://www.thepartysource.com/express/results.php?i=SPIRITS+GIFT+SET

Make sure you check on price before getting them, too. A few 'gift sets' charge you extravagant amounts for the extra junk you get in the box - since most of these are probably bought as Christmas presents by unknowing family and friends.

Beer&Bourbon
11-10-2011, 09:50
Saw Jim Beam white gift set with two rocks glasses with Jim Beam inscribed. I decided to hold out to see if Beam black has a gift pack.

Beam black looks to have rocks glasses or a golf towel this year.

GreggJ
11-10-2011, 10:52
Beam black looks to have rocks glasses or a golf towel this year.

I was gifted this last year the JW Black with the rocks glasses. It is a nice set the glasses are a little small :-) but are pretty nice and it was definitely a great deal.

I hope they do something with the JW Double Black. I want to grab a bottle and the freebie will probably push me over the edge.

p_elliott
11-12-2011, 23:19
The WT 101 pack with the flask was not a holiday pack. It was a football bowl pack nice flask though. I did go ahead and buy it.

sailor22
11-13-2011, 10:41
Keep an eye on EBay for the older (some are genuine antique) pumkin seed shape glass flasks with heavy leather or pewter covers to protect the glass. Some of these are really beautiful craftsmanship. I have seen some very usable civil war era glass lined flasks that would be fun to own and use.

OscarV
11-14-2011, 14:22
Keep an eye on EBay for the older (some are genuine antique) pumkin seed shape glass flasks with heavy leather or pewter covers to protect the glass. Some of these are really beautiful craftsmanship. I have seen some very usable civil war era glass lined flasks that would be fun to own and use.

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?

DreamTheater
11-14-2011, 20:43
I have a thread out there re: flasks that some of you might find interesting - I got some good advice from others.

I did go ahead and buy the 4R Small Batch with the nice flask in it.

Between the gift packs with flasks, the only other really valuable pack in the scotch/bourbon world would likely be the glenfiddich. It has a glencairn glass in it and you can expect to pay at LEAST $10 - more likely $30 for just a single glass of this shape. It is free with the set. And, while it is on the low spectrum of the single malt scotches, surely it is still totally drinkable.

Obviously the value of some of these is somewhat subjective - if you dont have an attractive high ball glasses - this is the time! But I have a bunch so really I only find the aforementioned additions to be nice.

RegChumpington
11-14-2011, 22:22
Between the gift packs with flasks, the only other really valuable pack in the scotch/bourbon world would likely be the glenfiddich. It has a glencairn glass in it and you can expect to pay at LEAST $10 - more likely $30 for just a single glass of this shape. It is free with the set. And, while it is on the low spectrum of the single malt scotches, surely it is still totally drinkable.

A local retailer near me in LA has an Old Pulteney 12yo that has the 750mL of OP + two glencairns - I think it's mid $30s. Worth watching for.