PDA

View Full Version : Beam's "Throwdown Challenge"

StraightNoChaser
10-21-2011, 10:31
Last night timd and I went to a big Beam event downtown here in Dallas. It was hosted at a rather trendy nightclub, full of pretty neon lights :lol:

They had all the Beam brands out for you to taste the small batch collection, Laphroaig, Canadian Club, el Tosoro tequila, Maker's, Sauza, Thatcher's liqueurs, Courvoisier, Skinny Girl. Each table also featured a brand ambassador or master distiller, as well as a few other high ups from the company.

Anyway, the most fun part of all this was the Throwdown Challenge, a blind nosing of 8 spirits. They were:

Sauza Gold
Courvoisier Exclusif
Maker's Mark
Canadian Club sherry cask
Jim Beam
Knob Creek
Laphroaig
Cruzan

You are given 60 seconds to place them all correctly on a branded mat by aroma and color only! Happy to say I nailed it on the first try. I was apparently also the first person that night to accomplish it!

My prize was a 2L barrel signed by all the distillery reps present, including Fred Noe! :) And that was just the beginning of the night!

StraightNoChaser
10-21-2011, 10:33
I'm linking this from twitter, hope it works!

http://p.twimg.com/AcOtuagCEAAQNeG.jpg

Tucker
10-21-2011, 10:35
Congrats!

Did they also give you something to put in that nice little barrel?

StraightNoChaser
10-21-2011, 10:36
Sure, but I drank it :grin:

DeanSheen
10-21-2011, 11:52
Nice.

Some of those seem rather easy to pick out. Still with 60 seconds I could see where people would get flustered being on the clock.

Parkersback
10-21-2011, 12:03
Thanks for sharing that, and congrats on the barrel!

chefnash51
10-21-2011, 12:45
Congrats! Sounds like my kind of throw down!

StraightNoChaser
10-21-2011, 13:12
Nice.

Some of those seem rather easy to pick out. Still with 60 seconds I could see where people would get flustered being on the clock.
The only real challenge was picking between Knob Creek and Jim Beam since they smell so similar. But as you can imagine it's fairly easy to pick out Laphroaig, a tequila, a cognac, a rum, Canadian whisky and Maker's Mark

StraightNoChaser
10-21-2011, 13:14
A shot of some of the signatures

http://p.twimg.com/AcTWkOrCAAAP8RZ.jpg

BourbonKiller
10-21-2011, 15:45
You lucky lucky bastard!

Green with envy!

p_elliott
10-22-2011, 01:48
Very Cool One of our own showing how it's done!

macdeffe
10-22-2011, 05:26
Very well done. 60 seconds is quite short time

Steffen

Bourbon Boiler
10-23-2011, 19:22
Congrats. I'm not sure how I would have fared, particularly if I would have started sampling on my own tab beforehand.

PJFZ1
10-25-2011, 08:55
Very Nice - I particularly like the "Stay on the Beam" from Fred Noe - as a retired Sailor, It has extra significance.

wadewood
10-25-2011, 14:51
I attended same event held the night before in Houston. I tried it twice, each time I missed by swapping Makers and Knob Creek. The Jim Beam White you could tell by color, but Makers and Knob Creek were the same color and I thought close on the nose.

The event was called Spirit Confidential by Beam Global. It was a very nice event - big props to Beam.

timd
10-25-2011, 14:55
I attended same event held the night before in Houston. I tried it twice, each time I missed by swapping Makers and Knob Creek. The Jim Beam White you could tell by color, but Makers and Knob Creek were the same color and I thought close on the nose.

I made the same mistake - but they gave me another chance, and I got it... Really weird how, blind (and my second try was after quite a few drinks with the Laphroaig folks) the Makers & Knob are SO hard to tell apart.

So, I happily walked away with my own barrel as well, but not as "cleanly" as StraightNoChaser managed to pull his off... he nailed 'em all - first try, 60 seconds.:bowdown:

Although ask him how well he did on the Laphroaig expressions challenge later in the evening after we'd sampled nearly the entire range of offerings....:searching: