PDA

View Full Version : New Guy with a very old (12-yr-old) Old Overholt

CharlieBarley
10-28-2011, 09:34
http://ksjtracker.mit.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/OldOverholtBottle-Smaller.jpg
A friend of ours, clearing out her mother's house after her death, found some old bottles of liquor and gave them to us. I like rye, neat, so was happy to see two bottles of Old Overholt with the seals intact. Not the best these days, but ok. I opened one. The cork fell apart. Looked closer. It was made in 1934, bottled in 1946. The other is still sealed. The first tastes quite good. Stiff, not harsh. 100 Proof. 4/5 of a quart. So, the question - is there anything notable or valuable about such an old whiskey. esp when unopened? This is from the original company, needless to say, not today's Jim Beam property.

Also in the collection: An unopened 1952 Seagram's Crown Royal Canadian wh. (in a short very broad shouldered and elaborately embossed bottle).

bad_scientist
10-28-2011, 10:03
Nah, no chance it's worth more than about 20 bucks. I mean, at the local liquor store I have to walk past aisles and aisles of 60+ year old Old Overholt to get to my favorite, Jim Beam White. And even then it's hidden behind some 1941 Old Overholt vintages. Geez! I'm sure it's the same all over. Bottles from the 1940s aren't even worth the price you could get by recycling them.

added later: maybe you could use the whiskey to disinfect your bathroom to save money on cleaning supplies. Otherwise it's just taking up space in your house.

IowaJeff
10-28-2011, 10:56
You can do some searches on Ebay and see what older bottles go for. Its not going to make you rich or anything, but you can get enough to get more than a few bottles of your favorite rye. If the first one tastes good I say tuck the other away for a special occasion.

Of course, depending on your state, selling it might be illegal.

White Dog
10-28-2011, 19:48
You claim to enjoy drinking Rye neat, but then discuss the possibility of flipping something such as this? Go away.

soad
10-29-2011, 06:36
You claim to enjoy drinking Rye neat, but then discuss the possibility of flipping something such as this? Go away.

The OP may or may not be legit, but I will say I'm a neat Rye drinker who has an ever growing collection. If I were to find that bottle in my Grandpa's basement....I would most likely sell it. My palate is simply not evolved enough to truly enjoy it, it would be lost on me. I would rather have two bottles of the Van Winkle Rye than one of that OO....call me a silly rookie....I am.

CharlieBarley
10-31-2011, 08:55
Hey White Dog: Go away? Flipping? Thank you for the response, but what are you talking about friend? I'm not selling it, just asked whether old bottles like this ought to be saved for special occasions or are notable for any specific reason.
I thought this would be a friendly forum, like a good neighborhood bar where the conversation is a good reason to go in. This was bottled the year I was born, so it's not going anywhere for sale.

p_elliott
10-31-2011, 10:44
Hey White Dog: Go away? Flipping? Thank you for the response, but what are you talking about friend? I'm not selling it, just asked whether old bottles like this ought to be saved for special occasions or are notable for any specific reason.
I thought this would be a friendly forum, like a good neighborhood bar where the conversation is a good reason to go in. This was bottled the year I was born, so it's not going anywhere for sale.

We get a lot of I found this bottle what is worth stuff on here one time post type of stuff for ebay. That is what white dog thought you were posting. Lets start fresh this site is pretty friendly just got to get off on the right footing.

Jono
10-31-2011, 11:26

Unfortunately CharlieBarley you ran into some members who assume things and jump to conclusions without kindly asking you to elaborate first...it happens because the "what is it worth" question comes up fairly often so this info is posted in the New User guidelines as an FYI:

"4. If you’ve come here solely to get help determining the value of an old bottle, you’re not likely to receive a hearty welcome from the general membership. If the bottle in question is full, please read the announcement at the top of the collectibles forum. If the bottle's empty, then you’ve come to the wrong place. Folks here collect the contents, not the bottles."

Great finds by the way and I hope you enjoy drinking them!
Can you compare the "old" Old Overholt to more modern Ryes?
What is different or the same?

StraightNoChaser
10-31-2011, 12:55
Sweet bottle, looks like money, but I make no implication with that comment :grin:

Welcome to the forum, Charlie. Please forgive those who are quick to make assumptions, we do in fact deal with aforementioned issue quite a bit. Don't take it to heart!

White Dog
10-31-2011, 16:30

Hey, "friend." On your very first post, you asked if a 1946 100pr Overholt was "valuable." Obviously I assumed you were looking to flip it. Yes, I would call it valuable.

Hell, I'd give my left doubler for such a bottle.

CharlieBarley
11-01-2011, 11:06
Thanks for pulling in the horns, White Dog. I'm going to follow another reply's suggestion - to buy a contemporary Old Overholt from the folks at Jim Beam and do a taste test. I don't believe it has a 100 proof line, so such a comparo cannot mean much. And, I just learned, it's been done: http://tinyurl.com/3vduppx .

GreggJ
11-03-2011, 10:56
Hey, "friend." On your very first post, you asked if a 1946 100pr Overholt was "valuable." Obviously I assumed you were looking to flip it. Yes, I would call it valuable.

IMO, It is a gift take it as such and enjoy it. Please post your thoughts once you pop that bad boy. It would be interesting to see the profiles that our grandparents were drinking.

Nice find.

Jonny.Applebury
12-16-2011, 22:08

This, and your previous post leave a bad taste in my mouth. Who cares if he's trying to flip the bottle? The way some folks treat this forum like holy ground is ridiculous.

Josh
12-17-2011, 08:21
Anyone whose first post is "look what I found, do you think it's valuable?" is likely to get an annoyed response, as even the New User Guidelines point out. White Dog is expressing a sentiment shared by a lot of long-time members here who are annoyed by the tales of magical basements and the finders who join to get a free apparaisal or promote their ebay sales. You've stated that you're not here to do that Charlie, so that's the end of that.

What many new folks don't understand is that this is a close-knit community where many of us meet face to face at least twice a year. If we're going to use the bar metaphor, then imagine how annoying it would be if once every now and then a new person ran into your local watering hole and asked you and your friends the value of a bottle of whiskey they just found. Some would ignore the person, and some would yell at the person to get out, some might even throw a bottle.

Bottom line there's no need for anyone to be rude, but when even the new user guidelines mention that you might not get a warm welcome for asking the value of a bottle on your first post, you can expect a frosty reception.

White Dog
12-17-2011, 10:37
This, and your previous post leave a bad taste in my mouth. Who cares if he's trying to flip the bottle? The way some folks treat this forum like holy ground is ridiculous.

Sorry for the bad taste. I guess I won't be changing my handle to "Aged Wheater."

jcg9779
12-17-2011, 20:21
You've stated that you're not here to do that Charlie, so that's the end of that.

He stated that he wasn't here for that, but he registered on 10/27 and last signed onto the site on 11/1. It does look a little like he just wanted information, but it doesn't bother me. I chose to ignore him, but if White Dog wants to call him out that's fine too. As Josh and others have pointed out, the New User Guidelines basically say that you may get a frosty response...

tommyboy38
12-17-2011, 20:48
They come with bottles and claim they're just here to find out about whiskey and how much they enjoy it and then never return.
Either we welcome them with open arms (but they still won't return)
or we can curse them out (which I think is preferable...heck, it should even be a rule!)

Jonny.Applebury
12-18-2011, 09:21
I think that cursing people out or running them off is a dumb way to treat people, even if they aren't the ideal participant for these forums. There are much more diplomatic ways of alerting them to the rules. Everyone deserves to be spoken to respectfully.