PDA

View Full Version : State run Liquor Stores in WA

2highcal
11-08-2011, 22:18
Will soon be out of business due to I 1183 the state finally gets out of the booze business. I am hoping that we will start to get some of the good juice that I see is available elsewhere.

T47
11-09-2011, 08:12
The only Bourbon I can’t find in WA comes from such small distilleries that I don’t expect much of a change in that area. I imagine I am still going to have to cozy up to some manager somewhere to try and land a Van Winkle or Stagg. I wish they would open us back up to the mail order business, I don’t know if this change will allow for that or not? And the day I can go to Costco and buy a bottle as cheap as I did in AZ will be a shock, even with the State out of the direct business they will still find a way to get their tax in there to keep the price up like the automatic 17% markup that comes with the bill. I think the change makes sense, but I think it helps the retailers (which I am all for) more than the selective consumer.

GreggJ
11-10-2011, 09:24
The only Bourbon I canít find in WA comes from such small distilleries that I donít expect much of a change in that area. I imagine I am still going to have to cozy up to some manager somewhere to try and land a Van Winkle or Stagg. I wish they would open us back up to the mail order business, I donít know if this change will allow for that or not? And the day I can go to Costco and buy a bottle as cheap as I did in AZ will be a shock, even with the State out of the direct business they will still find a way to get their tax in there to keep the price up like the automatic 17% markup that comes with the bill. I think the change makes sense, but I think it helps the retailers (which I am all for) more than the selective consumer.

NH has a similar system and it is a double edge sword. Here the prices are relatively low but availability on some of the specialty items and hard to find stuff is maddening at times. If it opens up to mail order my bank account would take a signifigant hit. There are many things on my buy upon sight list that I just don't have access too.

Anyhow, I hope this works out for you and the rest of the bourbonians in WA.

buckey929
11-12-2011, 14:12
The only Bourbon I canít find in WA comes from such small distilleries that I donít expect much of a change in that area. I imagine I am still going to have to cozy up to some manager somewhere to try and land a Van Winkle or Stagg. I wish they would open us back up to the mail order business, I donít know if this change will allow for that or not? And the day I can go to Costco and buy a bottle as cheap as I did in AZ will be a shock, even with the State out of the direct business they will still find a way to get their tax in there to keep the price up like the automatic 17% markup that comes with the bill. I think the change makes sense, but I think it helps the retailers (which I am all for) more than the selective consumer.

My Bro in Vancouver gets deliveries from CA. Pays no Ca or WA tax. Even with s/h it is still a Lot cheaper.

jburlowski
11-13-2011, 07:11
My Bro in Vancouver gets deliveries from CA. Pays no Ca or WA tax. Even with s/h it is still a Lot cheaper.

If he gets deliveries from CA it likely has been subject to CA taxation.

T47
11-13-2011, 20:55
If he gets deliveries from CA it likely has been subject to CA taxation.

Still illegal here in WA even if that is the case. I was informed by Binnys of the technicalities a couple years ago when I tried to order. I doubt the State would bother with small purchases; I don’t understand why they don’t just add their tax on top of the order and allow it? There are only a handful of bottles I would like to have access to with a little more regularity,but I am glad there are a lot of bottles to enjoy while I wait!

2highcal
11-13-2011, 21:35
I have never been able to order from CA but I have from a couple of other states.

T47
11-23-2011, 13:05
While visiting the Liquor store today I asked if they expected and Pappy Van Winkle in anytime soon. The clerk said, "It came in and the State sent it all back, saying they are no longer in the Business, I guess its their way of screwing the voters back".
I really dont believe him, just thought its going to be an interesting 7 months until the State is finally out of the business. Ultimately I think its best for the State to be out of the business, I guess we will see come June.

Chris24
11-23-2011, 23:10
Yah, he's totally misinformed. Some of my friends in the liquor business have confirmed BTAC and Van Winkle are still coming. I do think they restricted it to just state stores though, not contract stores which kind of sucks.

Finding rare bottles is a game in misinformation. Many liquor store employees just have no clue and give a variety of differening excuses. "The Parkers 50th? No that was gone at the distillary within a week, all selling for $500+" or "There's a store in Montana which just has Van Winkle year round but it's never been in the state" or "There are only 3 types of Four Roses bottles."

I will miss the (often outdated but still state wide) search function on the state website. But I think after a year or so a few contract stores will be able to offer a better selection than the state did.

CaptainQ
11-24-2011, 09:25
Most liquor store employees just have no clue and give a variety of differening excuses.

Fixed that for you Chris.;)

So glad to have the state out of the liquor business! Gone, just like the dinosaurs. Now we will see what the free market can do for us. I think it will take a year or two for them to figure it out, but it will be so much better than the current system.

Yeah, really going to miss that crappy state website that was useful for one day a month and even then it was mostly outdated.:banghead:

I'm glad I have all my wine business contacts in the area. Going tomorrow to meet and greet the new sellers of spirits. Gotta prep for the Fall 2012 releases.:grin:

Bye, bye WSLCB :kiss: :toast:

Chris24
11-25-2011, 12:38
If you meet a Four Roses contact, tell them we want Limited Edition bottles!

andykeck
11-26-2011, 16:00
Yah, he's totally misinformed. Some of my friends in the liquor business have confirmed BTAC and Van Winkle are still coming

Any idea when? :o

Chris24
11-27-2011, 00:24
Pretty soon, this week or next. Call your favorite "good" stores.

andykeck
11-27-2011, 08:51
Pretty soon, this week or next. Call your favorite "good" stores.

Thanks. Although that's a laugh, as all the 'good' stores I know about are in Indiana. I have some ideas though. We'll see what happens.

CaptainQ
11-27-2011, 09:01
Hi Andy, just curious if you're going to post an introduction or did you just come on SB.com to find out where to get the good stuff. :skep: ;)

andykeck
11-27-2011, 11:36
Hi Andy, just curious if you're going to post an introduction or did you just come on SB.com to find out where to get the good stuff. :skep: ;)

How rude of me! I've been a lurker here for ages and I think I just forgot that I hadn't posted in any other threads yet.

Can I just add that I'm very excited about the upcoming privatization of the liquor business here in WA? I imagine the transition is gonna be a little bumpy, maybe even with a period of less availability while things get sorted out, but nevertheless, I think things are looking up. No more quadruple bagged bottles in my suitcase when returning from visiting family in Indianapolis or Cincinnati.

Chris24
11-28-2011, 17:46
Pretty sure we need another meet up in Seattle. "Celebrate 1183" night?

andykeck
11-28-2011, 18:22
Pretty sure we need another meet up in Seattle. "Celebrate 1183" night?

June 1, 2012 is a Friday...

CaptainQ
11-28-2011, 19:29

Perfect, let's do it!

andykeck
11-30-2011, 22:14
Perfect, let's do it!

Alright then. Mark it down in pen.

andykeck
12-05-2011, 09:18
Gentlemen, start your engines...

Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery
Washington state has shipped.
Like ∑ ∑ Share ∑ 72 ∑ about an hour ago ∑

andykeck
03-31-2012, 21:38

Two months before the liquor free-for-all begins. Anybody following the auctions? Anyone here bidding?

http://m.publicsurplus.com/sms/washingtonliq,wa/browse/home

Chris24
05-31-2012, 10:32
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2018325819_liquor01.html

andykeck
05-31-2012, 10:48
Super excited. I understand that they guy that owns the Fremont Wine Warehouse (terrible name, great place) is going to bring in liquor. Given his philosophy of only stocking things he's interested in himself, I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings in. He's the guy that poured me my first taste of Carpano Antica after we somehow got into a big discussion of rye. A good guy.

ChainWhip
05-31-2012, 10:49
Not looking forward to the price increases in the short-term.

andykeck
05-31-2012, 10:58
Not looking forward to the price increases in the short-term.

That's going to be painful for sure. I think as the dust settles, the competition kicks in, and some of the worst fees sunset in two years, we'll stabilize at a better place. Back to where we are now? Dunno. I jut got back from vacation/booze shopping in California and just hope to find a place with selection and service like some of the stores I visited there.

ChainWhip
05-31-2012, 11:06
The way it was explained to me is that distributors in Washington have a monopoly on brands - eg. Distributor A has the corner on Jack while Distributor B owns rights to Diageo, etc.,

Once that opens up, I think we will start seeing some price relief.

andykeck
05-31-2012, 11:09
I've also heard that there's a lot of concern about this year's minimum $150 million payment to the state from the distributors. They're front loading a lot of that fee money into prices right now. That should relax over time too.

ChainWhip
05-31-2012, 13:37
I wonder if having to set up logistics/warehouses/etc., is contributing to the price hikes as well - the state used to handle all statewide distribution out of their warehouses no?

andykeck
05-31-2012, 14:04
I wonder if having to set up logistics/warehouses/etc., is contributing to the price hikes as well - the state used to handle all statewide distribution out of their warehouses no?

Yeah, I suspect that we're paying in advance for them to build out capacity.

LostBottle
06-02-2012, 13:46
Well, I visited a large place in Seattle that recently started carrying liquor. Their prices are ridiculous! I hope when BevMo and Total Wine move into the area, the revenue of places like this takes a significant hit. There is no reason for stores to charge these prices, other than greed and taking advantage of consumers during a confusing transition. Here are some examples:

Whisk(e)y.............Pre-Tax...Post-Tax
Lagavulin 16...........$114........$140
Woodford Rye.........$149........$182
JPS 18...................$125........$153
EH Taylor Sngl Brl...$110........$135

ChainWhip
06-02-2012, 13:53
Total Wine is opening up a store in Bellevue by the end of the month:

http://www.bizjournals.com/mobile/seattle/blog/2012/05/total-wine-mores-bellevue-store-ups.html?page=all

I'm avoiding local purchases until I start seeing more reasonable prices (or sale items) - good thing I've got a decent stash.

Edit: prices @ Safeway are no better - Oban 14 was north of $90 pretax!

LostBottle
06-02-2012, 13:55
I'm avoiding local purchases until I start seeing more reasonable prices (or sale items) - good thing I've got a decent stash.

I second that, brother.

andykeck
06-02-2012, 16:56
Thirded. I stocked up during my last trip to CA. For bourbon, rye and scotch, I'm set for a few months. I'm gonna run out of Cynar and Torani Amer pretty soon, but those just aren't very expensive one way or the other.

CaptainQ
06-02-2012, 19:44
I went to Wine World on 45th today. Friggin' outrageous prices. They can keep every bottle as far as I'm concerned. I'm stocked up and can ride this out for a year if I have to. If not, I'll pay the shipping and have it sent to me at home. I figured this would happen and it's really the distributers that are screwing the consumers.

ChainWhip
06-02-2012, 19:54
Anybody manage to check out Costco yet?

CaptainQ
06-02-2012, 20:32
Anybody manage to check out Costco yet?

Are you out of Makers or Jack? :rolleyes:

ChainWhip
06-02-2012, 21:03
Are you out of Makers or Jack? :rolleyes:

Sounds like our prospects aren't looking very good

:bigeyes:

LostBottle
06-03-2012, 14:46
I called Clearview Spirits and Wine, and their prices were much better than other places I saw - nice to see someone not getting into the gouging game. They also said they had just made a trip to Kentucky and picked a new Four Roses barrel. It is a little out of my way, but I think this will be my go-to shop as they are locally owned and really seem to care about whiskey and their customers.

nivto
06-03-2012, 14:50
I went to Wine World on 45th today. Friggin' outrageous prices. They can keep every bottle as far as I'm concerned. I'm stocked up and can ride this out for a year if I have to. If not, I'll pay the shipping and have it sent to me at home. I figured this would happen and it's really the distributers that are screwing the consumers.

I'm willing to bet you could ride this out for more than a year. :grin:

andykeck
06-03-2012, 17:55
I called Clearview Spirits and Wine, and their prices were much better than other places I saw - nice to see someone not getting into the gouging game. They also said they had just made a trip to Kentucky and picked a new Four Roses barrel. It is a little out of my way, but I think this will be my go-to shop as they are locally owned and really seem to care about whiskey and their customers.

I just checked out their website. I think I may go for a little drive...

ChainWhip
06-03-2012, 19:06
Clearview has been my go-to store for a while now - cannot recommend them highly enough

CaptainQ
06-04-2012, 08:10
I'm willing to bet you could ride this out for more than a year. :grin:

Okay, so maybe I am prepared for the Apocalypse(bourbon wise). :cool:

Another recommendation for Clearview Spirits. Great selection.

Restaurant man
06-21-2012, 12:40
Washington: Liquor privatization - Another negative consequence (http://www.winebusiness.com/?go=getNewsLink&dataId=102144&ref=dnl_link)
So she's a genius?

ChainWhip
07-02-2012, 14:18
For some reason, that link brings me to "page not found"