PDA

View Full Version : Rye shortage?

leebo
12-02-2011, 18:36
Can't seem to find baby saz or rittenhouse bib on the shelves here in MA. Help. The rittenhouse usually has been feast or famine in the last year or so. One of my local sales guys said some of the rittenhouse gets more allocation to the bars and resturants.

jburlowski
12-03-2011, 04:42
Both have stopped shipping for some time because of supply shortages at the distilleries. Hopefully they will be back soon.

cowdery
12-03-2011, 15:14
Baby Saz and Ritt BIB probably will continue to be hard gets, but there's nothing wrong with Wild Turkey Rye, Russell's Reserve Rye, and the LDI 95%ers like Rendezvous and Bulleit. I also think there's nothing wrong with Jim Beam Rye and Old Overholt, but I know many disagree.

In other words, you can't always get what you want but if you try, sometimes you get what you need.

sailor22
12-03-2011, 15:30
In other words, you can't always get what you want but if you try, sometimes you get what you need.

That's some of your best writing Chuck! Thought of putting it into some sort of song or something? (he said with a smile)

BFerguson
12-03-2011, 17:37
Baby Saz and Ritt BIB probably will continue to be hard gets, but there's nothing wrong with Wild Turkey Rye, Russell's Reserve Rye, and the LDI 95%ers like Rendezvous and Bulleit. I also think there's nothing wrong with Jim Beam Rye and Old Overholt, but I know many disagree.

Don't forget the Willett Rye's. Lots of love for the 4yr product from me.

ebo
12-03-2011, 18:32

I see what you did there.:cool:

HRay
12-04-2011, 12:25
Don't forget the Willett Rye's. Lots of love for the 4yr product from me.

I've tried all of the LDI based ryes from all the various labels and pretty much like them all (some more than others of course like High West and Bulleit) but I have never seen the Willett versions down here. Where do I need to go to find them? Are they available in Knoxville (I sometimes get up there to McScrooge's)?

cowdery
12-04-2011, 13:50
There probably have been more posts here about the Willett rye than there are bottles available.

HRay
12-04-2011, 14:14
There probably have been more posts here about the Willett rye than there are bottles available.

Is it the same LDI stuff just at a higher proof?

cowdery
12-04-2011, 16:39
I don't know about the proof but it is the LDI 95% rye.

White Dog
12-05-2011, 06:40
Is it the same LDI stuff just at a higher proof?

Yes. The Willet Rye is a cask strength release. I have bottlings at 110, and 108.2. And it is LDI.

White Dog
12-05-2011, 06:44
I've tried all of the LDI based ryes from all the various labels and pretty much like them all (some more than others of course like High West and Bulleit) but I have never seen the Willett versions down here. Where do I need to go to find them? Are they available in Knoxville (I sometimes get up there to McScrooge's)?

There's a contact number on KBD's website. Give 'em a call and ask if they're sold in your area.

HRay
12-05-2011, 13:37
There's a contact number on KBD's website. Give 'em a call and ask if they're sold in your area.

I'll try that number but I know nobody stocks any Willett other than the "Pot Still" version. We do have many KBD products here with more showing up everyday. I buy a lot of the Pure Kentucky and we just got Kentucky Vintage and Johnny Drum Private Stock.

White Dog
12-05-2011, 14:40
I'll try that number but I know nobody stocks any Willett other than the "Pot Still" version. We do have many KBD products here with more showing up everyday. I buy a lot of the Pure Kentucky and we just got Kentucky Vintage and Johnny Drum Private Stock.

In that case, ask your friendly neighborhood retailer for the name and number of the Georgia KBD wholesaler, and ask them why the h-ll they don't carry the Rye.

leebo
12-05-2011, 16:58
I got maybe one more store that I know carries the baby saz. I"ve got some bunker supplies. 10+ of the rit bib, 4 of the baby saz, some 18 yr, some handy and some rvwfrr.

Old Lamplighter
01-14-2012, 07:54
Anybody know how severe the shortage on Baby Saz is or going to be for the forseeable future? Suddenly, almost none to be found in the western regions of TN. I don't know if NYT article had an impact or not, or, just the normal rash of holiday buying. Rye is not normally a big seller in this area and sales always pretty steady for the regulars like me. Also, Saz 18 has all but vanished as well :confused: Maybe just a sign of the times though.

Ejmharris
01-14-2012, 08:43
Anybody know how severe the shortage on Baby Saz is or going to be for the forseeable future? Suddenly, almost none to be found in the western regions of TN. I don't know if NYT article had an impact or not, or, just the normal rash of holiday buying. Rye is not normally a big seller in this area and sales always pretty steady for the regulars like me. Also, Saz 18 has all but vanished as well :confused: Maybe just a sign of the times though.

Maybe your guys in the black SuV nabbed all the baby saz as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Lamplighter
01-14-2012, 08:50

That could very well be. However, they did leave a couple of them at the former ORVW 23 location though. I snagged them since I had not seen it anywhere else in the last week or so. Other spots I have been since getting that info indicates the nabbers were not after just bourbon...fortunately for me. Looks like they were also buying up some rarer and/or special edition scotch, cognac and wines. I have never achieved a taste for any of those....so, on a selfish note - they could have taken 2 SUV loads of that stuff for all I care...lol

DeanSheen
01-14-2012, 08:58

Where is that story posted?

Such a shame. Booze profiteers.

Ejmharris
01-14-2012, 09:20
That could very well be. However, they did leave a couple of them at the former ORVW 23 location though. I snagged them since I had not seen it anywhere else in the last week or so. Other spots I have been since getting that info indicates the nabbers were not after just bourbon...fortunately for me. Looks like they were also buying up some rarer and/or special edition scotch, cognac and wines. I have never achieved a taste for any of those....so, on a selfish note - they could have taken 2 SUV loads of that stuff for all I care...lol

Cant agree more on the scotch and cognac!

Old Lamplighter
01-14-2012, 12:01
Where is that story posted?

Such a shame. Booze profiteers.

I am somewhat handicapped in re to the computer so I don't know how to put in a link to where I posted the story. It is on the thread about "finding an ORVW 23 decanter" in the "Premiums" section herein is the best I can do.

To be quite truthful and honest, I am not going to cast stones at anyone from within my glass house in terms of making some profit. I have sold a few here & there over the years. In doing so, I admit to having made a few dollars as I am sure other members have done as well. BUT, I have not used this forum as a base for launching & running a resale business on any scale be it large or small. From time to time I used to discuss this with Tim Sousley, a late fellow Tennessean as well as a great contributor, friend & adviser to many on this forum. Tim understood that just goes with the hobby over the long haul as he shared with me to have done the same.

My sharing the story about the black SUV from Alabama was much more of me lamenting my stupidity for not purchasing the ORVW Decanter than it was anger at someone else for buying it to turn a profit. That was/is frustrating of course for most of us, but, that is the world in which we live to some degree. While I don't agree with someone loading up vehicles & running them across state lines and would never do that myself, it is just the way it is in these times of a poor economy and profiteering at so many levels. Like most of us, I have transported a bottle or 2 (or maybe even 3...lol) here & there for gifts, personal enjoyment, etc. But the risk involved with running entire vehicle or trunk loads illegally across state lines...well, not for me.

Bottom Line: I just hope the ORVW decanter set ends in a good and appreciative home.

leebo
01-18-2012, 16:18
Found 3 rittenhouse bib for 19.99 from one of my regular retail guys. He put aside 3 from the only case of 12 that he got, nice.

Ejmharris
01-18-2012, 17:46
Talked to a distributor today at a store in SE Indiana regarding Ritt BIB. He said there were only 3 cases in all of Indiana. I assume that was for his distribution company only but maybe it was just 3. He said he would get a case sent to store but store wanted me to buy the whole case. It was going to be around $18-$19 each plus tax. I need to call tomorrow to get final price. Anyone in greater Cincinnati area interested half a case? It would take me a while to make it through the whole case.

yountvillewjs
01-18-2012, 17:56
Not sure if it a true shortage or just managed scarcity (something we here in Napa perfected), but I pretty much buy any baby Saz I see, as I see them so infrequently. Haven't seen a RittBib but maybe once in 6 months and am regretting not buying it.

cowdery
01-18-2012, 18:05
Talked to a distributor today at a store in SE Indiana regarding Ritt BIB. He said there were only 3 cases in all of Indiana. I assume that was for his distribution company only but maybe it was just 3. He said he would get a case sent to store but store wanted me to buy the whole case. It was going to be around $18-$19 each plus tax. I need to call tomorrow to get final price. Anyone in greater Cincinnati area interested half a case? It would take me a while to make it through the whole case.

That has the ring of bullshit. If there is so little of it available and it's so hard to get, how can he so easily claim one-third of the state's total allotment? He's just trying to make a case sale. I'm shocked, shocked that a retailer would do such an underhanded thing.

Ejmharris
01-18-2012, 18:16
I was kind of annoyed by the whole conversation which is why I walked away from it today. I wanted to get past the irritation of the event before I made a decision. These guys also had a PVW23 on the shelf for $375. That same bottle was there 10 weeks ago at $400. Not the most stand up joint in town that is for sure. They did have an E.H. Taylor SB that has not been in the store before though. Still over priced at $89.

Restaurant man
01-20-2012, 22:28
Not sure if it a true shortage or just managed scarcity (something we here in Napa perfected), but I pretty much buy any baby Saz I see, as I see them so infrequently. Haven't seen a RittBib but maybe once in 6 months and am regretting not buying it.

December special from my distributor in Georgia. Buy 6 ritt bib get a bernheim wheater free. Final bottle cost was like 16$ for the ritt. After free goods. So much for scarcity. I'm checking now on their remaining inventory. I'll hit u back on Monday

Billy Bourbon
01-21-2012, 02:44
No bullshit here, but I got told the same line that EJ got told but it did not happen the same way. "Only three cases left in Indiana". This happened at the Royal Liquor Store in Evansville IN. This guy was not trying to sell me a case and was happy to take an order for a single bottle.

I asked him if the distributor could have been the same person/company servicing both Evansville and Louisville and he said it was unlikely. The guy is about thirty so who knows what he knows or how he knows it. I was surprised that he said the same "three cases left in Indiana story" though.

I tried to find out if the information could have been shared and the guy didn't think to seem to think so. My thinking was that two separate, independent sources may increase the validity of the statement but I really have no clue, I'm new to all this and just want to try some Ritt BIB.

I don't know. He ordered me three bottles that are supposed to be here next Thursday. I told him to order all three cases and he said he would. I told him, hey buddy, if this is that exclusive, doesn't it seem to make sense that you should get it while you can? He was convinced, but he's not the top dog. We shall see. Who knows really (would like Chuck's opinion). I mainly want to find out if this is true. I told him let's find out and go ahead and order the three cases, he said he would if approved by his manager. I will post an update.

If there is any information I can gather to get to the bottom of this let me know....

I figure if the jack leg does order the remaining stock, if the "remaining stock" exists, then we will know where we stand in terms of the shortage, if the shortage is real....I'm almost convinced it may be real, primarily because I don't think this "three case left" story is being controlled and told to us, but I could be wrong.....

cowdery
01-22-2012, 10:30
One thing that's definitely true is that the same distributor wouldn't be servicing Evansville and Louisville, or even Evansville and nearby Owensboro, because distributors don't work across state lines.

There is a disconnect between the two stories, it seems, as the first guy said three cases were all that were allocated and the second guy said only three were left. I don't necessarily blame the retailer. It sounds like the kind of story a distributor sales rep might make up. Certainly "act now or you'll miss out" is a venerable sales tactic and not always truthful.

Old Lamplighter
01-24-2012, 21:08
December special from my distributor in Georgia. Buy 6 ritt bib get a bernheim wheater free. Final bottle cost was like 16$ for the ritt. After free goods. So much for scarcity. I'm checking now on their remaining inventory. I'll hit u back on Monday

That kind of deal has the potential to create scarcity. I would buy all I could @ $16

Restaurant man
01-26-2012, 05:26
I made a big move but still wish I bought more. Only problem is getting rid of the bernheim