PDA

View Full Version : Warm greetings from Boston

Kalessin
12-12-2011, 13:54
Hello!

What a fantastic forum! I've been reading threads all over, and this looks like a great place to spend some time. For years I was a single-malt scotch drinker (and still am), but like some other folks, I started buying bourbons for everyday because of the lower prices (sadly, bourbon prices for decent bottles seem be creeping up constantly around here...)

I stumbled into SB while looking for hints on a good way to filter cork bits out of an old bottle (in my case, a WT 86.8 brown label from around 1980 that belonged to my late grandfather). Today, I'll pick up a funnel, and tonight I'll try filtering, either through a fine metal mesh screen, or through a coffee filter.

I snuck a taste from the bottle, and it's quite good, even for having been opened in the early 80's when it was nothing special, and sitting sealed all these years -- when the cork top broke off, the bottle made a little whistling breathing noise (I think breathing in) for over ten seconds.

Incidentally, I work just up the street from a store that seems to hold a special place in the hearts of Boston-area whiskey enthusiasts, Federal Wine & Spirits. Great store for unusual bottles, but bad for my wallet!

Joel aka Kalessin

StraightBoston
12-12-2011, 14:18
Welcome Joel! I work in Burlington -- maybe we can get a little critical mass from the north of Boston crowd (south and Metro West are better represented.)

Stopping by Federal on a lunch break sounds like a perk to me!

(Regarding the broken cork, I've gone through this quite a few times with old decanters. I pour through a coffee filter into a wine flask, then use the funnel to refill into any bottle laying around -- even the finest mesh doesn't seem to keep all of the cork bits out. The problem with the filter is you have to pour slowly.)

CADMixes
12-12-2011, 18:54
Welcome! I work downtown occasionally and keep trying to make time to stop in to Federal, it just never seems to work out.

p_elliott
12-13-2011, 09:03
Welcome aboard I hope you like it here. From what I have read a fine mesh metal screen is better because coffee filters pull out too many of the oils and fats from the bourbon. But when I had a cork break a coffee filter was all I had and it worked fine.

Kalessin
12-13-2011, 09:21
Today's project: find a very fine food-grade mesh screen (this may take a trip to Chinatown, where the restaurant supply places have all kinds of cool things).

Kalessin
12-14-2011, 08:31
The operation was a success! The patient is now resting quietly in my cabinet bar with only a small loss of fluid. Full writeup to follow. :)

Tony
12-14-2011, 09:44
Howdy and welcome from Michigan.

Best regards, tony