PDA

View Full Version : Should Bourbon of the month threads really be closed?

Zanaspus
12-13-2011, 12:57
I ask this, because in my noobishness, I am quickly reading through these threads to get a feel of what people like and why. Just now as I was reading through the old Elijah Craig 12, I saw several people knocking it because of a wide range of bottle variability. I then looked at the date and realized these were comments from 2005.

Now I understand why you would close the threads, but we're six years down the road, and I sit here wondering if this bottle variability still exists. Perhaps have updates on the threads every few years, or resample the bottling on a more regular basis.

Sorry, I'm new, I don't have answers, only questions. :lol:

(P.S. does this bottle variability still exist?)

dohidied
12-13-2011, 13:06
It does still exist. Check out this more recent thread complete with scores of bottle codes:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13547

smokinjoe
12-13-2011, 13:15
That's a great question, Z! I think your ideas are spot on. Things do change. So, constant updates are a good idea, IMO. I may be wrong, but I think the system default is 1 yr from last post. Don't know if this is changable, but if there is a candidate, this thread would be it. I like to view "Who's on-line", just to see what people are checking out. A lot of "guests" and members are in the BOTM. I think it's one of SB's first impressions to many new folks. I think it would be a good idea to keep the threads active indefinitely. I'd like to also see more/most/all reviews there. Of course, I can hardly work this phone, so I don't know what would be involved...:crazy:

Zanaspus
12-13-2011, 13:57
It does still exist. Check out this more recent thread complete with scores of bottle codes:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13547

Thanks for the link. You'd think I'd have learned about the search function with all the boards I've been a part of. :rolleyes:

jbutler
12-21-2011, 13:42
Now I understand why you would close the threads, but we're six years down the road, and I sit here wondering if this bottle variability still exists. Perhaps have updates on the threads every few years, or resample the bottling on a more regular basis.

Sorry, I'm new, I don't have answers, only questions. :lol:

(P.S. does this bottle variability still exist?)

Then you should feel free to start a new thread if one does not already exist. Threads that have been inactive for 365 days become snapshots of history. If they were left open, they'd become "polluted" in a hurry.

We've got plenty of bandwidth and plenty of disk space, so the creation of (meaningful) new threads is a non-issue.