PDA

View Full Version : New Minnesotan

sob0728
12-19-2011, 19:14
I just joined about a month ago and I have really had a good experience. I have had a couple members help me find bottles I was looking for and I helped at least one person find what they were looking for, really enjoying the community. Quick question though, is there a reason people don't talk about price more often? For example, I want to know if Elmer T Lee is a good product, but I also want to know if it is a good value. Is it a good buy at $25? Is it still a good buy at $35? I am looking for quality bourbon, but also good value. Might be the accountant in me. But I can go to six different liquor stores in my area and see Blanton's anywhere from $38.99 to $53.99. However, if there is bourbon (VSOF) that is only at one of the stores, I can't compare, it would be nice if I could do that here. Is $30 too much for VSOF or not? Those are the types of questions I would like answered more. Just a thought, maybe I am over thinking it or missing those threads. Anyway, I am really enjoying the forum. You guys are all great.

sob0728
12-19-2011, 20:08
Just wanted to add a real world example. There is a bottle of OFBB 2006 at a store by me for $43.99. Since it is old, it tough to get read on whether or not that is a fair price. It would be nice if there was just an area where I could post: "OFBB 2006 - $43.99, Good Price?" and then people could respond with: Must Buy, Good Buy, Average, or Don't Buy. I don't know, maybe that's crazy.

Jonny.Applebury
12-20-2011, 10:58
Starting a thread asking if this whisky is a good deal at this price sounds reasonable to me. The answers you get may be varied depending on which board members respond. If you look at some of the recent discussions for the rarer whiskies (e.g. the Van Winkle and Buffalo Trace Antique Collection lines), you'll see plenty of people commenting on how much they have paid or are willing to pay.

The rarity of a whisky will almost certainly increase the standard deviation of the prices that a group of people are willing to pay. For more common selections, and excluding personal preference, I hypothesize that the variable that may most affect the standard deviation of prices a group is willing to pay is the individual income of each member of that group. Generally, a person who makes twice as much as another is going to be less sensitive to a $5 price difference between two identical bottles. This sensitivity may fluctuate with the base price of the whisky in question, as some consumers are spendthrifts and others misers.

I've gotten excited at scoring a current bottle of Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon at $29.99. A normal price in my neck of the woods seems to be $34.99. I'd start to reconsider purchasing this whisky at $40. For this particular whisky, I would expect to see the same price on any year's bottling. If I were collecting, or knew a particular past year to be higher than average quality, then I would be apt to purchase at a higher price since I may not stumble across that year again.

Brisko
12-20-2011, 11:02
Hey, welcome, and thanks for the tip-offs.:cool:

the trouble with pricing discussion is that prices vary so much from market to market.

sob0728
12-20-2011, 11:17
Starting a thread asking if this whisky is a good deal at this price sounds reasonable to me.

I've gotten excited at scoring a current bottle of Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon at $29.99. A normal price in my neck of the woods seems to be $34.99. I'd start to reconsider purchasing this whisky at $40. For this particular whisky, I would expect to see the same price on any year's bottling. If I were collecting, or knew a particular past year to be higher than average quality, then I would be apt to purchase at a higher price since I may not stumble across that year again.

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. On day to day stuff I can drive around and figure it out. But rarer stuff, you never know if it is good deal or you are getting ripped off. I guess that comes with experience.

As for the price difference with markets, I get that, but also it could be beneficial because if BTAC is $59.99 in MN and $89.99 in Texas or something, then someone traveling to MN would know what to stock up when they are here.

smokinjoe
12-20-2011, 14:21
Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. On day to day stuff I can drive around and figure it out. But rarer stuff, you never know if it is good deal or you are getting ripped off. I guess that comes with experience.

As for the price difference with markets, I get that, but also it could be beneficial because if BTAC is $59.99 in MN and $89.99 in Texas or something, then someone traveling to MN would know what to stock up when they are here.

Welcome to SB sob0728! If that's your real name...:D Sorry, inside joke. Indeed though, welcome. Good advice for you all around, but I would add one more. If you find BTAC for $59.99 in MN, be careful on who/where you share this info. Part of the problem of the BTAC and PVW shortages are raiders from other states taking info like that and going personally, or sending friends, to buy everything in sight. I mean everything. And, you and the other good folks of Minnesota are left wondering where all the good stuff went!! It's a problem we have here on such an open site. Those who lurk, and...others...unfortunately take advantage of our community. Not to sound stingy, as I've shared locations with many of my SB friends (and they have shared with me, and as you have as you mentioned in your opening post :toast:), but it can be a problem, nonetheless.

But, again, welcome to SB, and I really hope you enjoy your time here. Post often, as I enjoy watching new folks journey through Bourbonia.
:toast:

BFerguson
12-20-2011, 15:21
Hey, welcome to the board from another MN member. Don't worry about tipping Brisko off too much, he is good on tipping back.:grin:

I would echo what Joe mentioned, there is certainly a fine line on price mentioning and availability.

Whether the pricing is good or not, that is tough too. With the OFBB, you certainly are not going to find too many of those around anymore, so that may not be a bad price point, it's higher than most of the current pricing o it, but not by too much. PS-I liked that year. But I like this years better.

It still all comes down to what you are willing to pay.

B

sob0728
12-20-2011, 17:19
Hey, welcome to the board from another MN member. Don't worry about tipping Brisko off too much, he is good on tipping back.:grin:

I would echo what Joe mentioned, there is certainly a fine line on price mentioning and availability.

Whether the pricing is good or not, that is tough too. With the OFBB, you certainly are not going to find too many of those around anymore, so that may not be a bad price point, it's higher than most of the current pricing o it, but not by too much. PS-I liked that year. But I like this years better.

It still all comes down to what you are willing to pay.

B

OK, I'll keep my mouth shut ..... Unless you or Brisko want something. :grin:

BFerguson
12-20-2011, 17:33
OK, I'll keep my mouth shut ..... Unless you or Brisko want something. :grin:

Hey, I like this guy already!

Welcome again, it really is a good bunch of folks around here.

B