PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the BourbonBaron in Indianapolis

BourbonBaron
12-21-2011, 09:04
Hello everyone,

I've been on this site for a few months and figured I should go ahead and join in the discussions. I've learned a lot from you all and I think this is a great forum.

I've been drinking bourbon for a few years now, but back in October I had the pleasure of visiting seven of the distilleries (did the Bourbon Trail and threw in Buffalo Trace in two days) in Kentucky. That trip has led to a new found obsession (which may or may not be healthy) with any and all things bourbon related. I am really enjoying learning about the history and heritage of the many products out there, and I really have been branching out lately. Up until the trip I didnít really know much about the actual distillation process, let alone the mashbills and yeasts the different producers use. I am a homebrewer so I was somewhat familiar with the base process, but I didnít even realize the distillers make beer before they turn it into bourbon, so clearly I had (and still have) a lot to learn.

I am finding that I really enjoy the wheaters. OWA and WSR are my go to pours right now. Makerís is just okay. Iíve been searching for the Weller 12 but that is nowhere to be found up here, so Iíll likely have to order online. I also have a Knob Creek Single Barrel that I just opened up this week and I am a big fan of that one as well. Since I like the wheaters so much, I assumed I would not be into the ryes. After trying the Sazerac 18 the other day at a bar, I found that I was indeed wrong on that one. More things to try is a good thing! I didnít get a chance to pick one up, unfortunately. I am considering getting a Handy as some of them are still floating around, but I know the general consensus is that the Saz 18 is the better buy.

Becoming obsessed with bourbon during the fall is an expensive thing, Iíve found. I did not realize there were so many delicious special bottlings. As such, most of my purchases as of late have been of the rare variety. I chased some Pappy, and came out ahead there. I am finding the 20 is my favorite after it has gotten some air. I also scored some 15s, some 12s, and a 10/90. The 10 is the only one I wasnít a huge fan of, but it has gotten a lot better with some air. I also tracked down a Stagg and a WL Weller, which took some getting used to and a little bit of experimentation to find the right amount of water, but I love them both now. I could actually take them neat as I have forced myself to refine my palette, but I still find just a little bit of water improves their taste to me (if you said a year ago Iíd be drinking bourbon with no ice Iíd have told you that you were crazy). The PHC 2010 is the one I plan to horde, though. I am absolutely in love with that one. I have 3 bottles and plan to pick up any more that I see on sight (had to order those online).

Anyways, enjoy that wall of text, and thanks for having me. I've attached a pic of my small but growing collection that I took a few weeks ago.

smokinjoe
12-21-2011, 09:29
Welcome, BourbonBaron! Very nice collection, indeed. Just totally give yourself up to the obsession. There is no use trying to fight it, justify it, or stop it. :D Chuck Cowdery has given it a clinical name: Whiskirexia Nervosa. Read below on the effects of this condition, and take comfort in knowing that you are not alone. Actually, you have quite a few with the affliction right there in Indy!

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11206&highlight=nervosa

Again, welcome. And, I hope you enjoy your time here.
:toast:

BourbonBaron
12-21-2011, 10:24
Thanks for the reply, Joe. I am definitely afflicted with this ailment Chuck posted about. Now if I could only give it to my wife somehow, I'd get a lot less head shakes when I come home with a new bottle!

I look forward to getting to know the other Indy guys here. I know there are a few. I'd much rather share the good finds with them than compete with them on the good bottles :grin:

p_elliott
12-21-2011, 10:50
Welcome Aboard Your not going to have a lot of compition from those Indy Boys as a lot of them like to drink on the dark side. :hot:

TomH
12-21-2011, 10:59
While several of us Indy SB'ers play on both sides of the pond....most of us definitely have a taste for the wheaters.

Baron...even though you're more competition for the good stuff welcome to the board and the Indy Whisk(e)y drinking community. Definitely keep a eye out in the Social section to see when we have get togethers. I'll probably have a party around April and some of us are talking about a major party in the summer (hopefully we announce something in Jan or Feb so anyone can make plans).

Tom

BourbonBaron
12-21-2011, 12:27
I've yet to explore the dark side enough to have given it a fighting chance, but thus far I haven't found something I like. I think I once had a Glenfiddich Sherry Wood (Glen something or other) that I enjoyed. Also, I recall one of the Indy guys saying he was gonna buy every PHC 2010 he saw, so I assume that's why they are all gone here!

I'll definitely watch for any Indy area get togethers, Tom. Thanks for the heads up on that. As it is now I only have one friend in the area that truly enjoys bourbon and it takes a lot of effort to even get him out of the house for some tastings.

Josh
12-21-2011, 12:45
Welcome BourbonBaron! I grew up on the North Side of Indianapolis (The actual North Side not Carmel:grin: ) myself and my family is mostly all still there so I visit Indianapolis several times a year. I have been known to drop in on Indy bourbon events myself, usually invited.:lol:

There are a lot of great bourbon drinkers in Indiana and Kahn's often has very good private selections for sale. And of course, Kentucky is only a short drive away.

Post early and often! cheers!

birdman1099
12-21-2011, 13:06
While several of us Indy SB'ers play on both sides of the pond....most of us definitely have a taste for the wheaters.

Yes, we all so seem to have an affinity for the wheaters.... :skep: Must be in the water...

at least now I know where all the Pappy 20 went... :cool:

Welcome aboard... we are always looking for more Indy members.

What side of town are you located? Seems like we are all pretty spread out and that inhibits the ability to get together a lot.

I look forward to meeting you in person and seeing your posts....

drunk
12-21-2011, 13:44
Nice collection! I share your newfound obsession as well, but I'm more of a rye guy. I think the Rittenhouse Rye is a great and cheap starting point if you're looking to experiment.

Tony
12-21-2011, 14:05
Howdy and welcome from up in Michigan.

No PHC 2010 here so don't come looking :)

Best regards, tony

mosugoji64
12-21-2011, 21:53
Welcome aboard! Your story sounds oddly familiar - I had a similar experience last spring. :grin: Fortunately, my wife has been very forgiving! You're in good company as there are some very knowledgeable Indy area members here. As Scott said, we seem to be very spread out but should try to get together! Again, welcome, and I hope there are some bottles under the tree for you this weekend!

BourbonBaron
12-22-2011, 11:29
I am located on the north west side of Indy. Where's everyone else spread out at? Have any of you guys been to the Indy Cigar Bar? They have a great whiskey and scotch selection, as well as an excellent humidor. I've only been there three times but I think that it would be a great place for some of us to hang out over a dram, if anyone is ever interested. I am sure we all also have plenty of good stuff in our bunkers too, though.

Also, for anyone in here that has interest, I found a secret stash of PHC 2010 today. I left two bottles for you fine folks :-). PM me if interested on the location. I'm gonna buy the other two next Friday otherwise!

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome.

MacinJosh
12-22-2011, 17:27
Another Indy Wheater fan....*groan*. ;-)

Welcome aboard! Northeast side here, that dreaded Carmel/Noblesville area. :-P Always good to have new Indy bourbon guys join the scene. Makes for some great get-togethers.

I've been to the Indy Cigar Bar a few times. Nice place. Corey (the owner) is a great guy and manages to acquire some tasty bourbon. I've had PHC 2010, Pappy 15, and Stagg there. Nice humidor too. They're the only Davidoff seller in the state.

As for the limited exposure to the dark side, just hang out with us once or twice and we'll quickly remedy that. ;-)

Cheers!

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaronbarker
12-22-2011, 18:34
Carmel Dark-sider here, practically living at the front door of Vine & Table - well, close, at least. Welcome aboard, BourbonBaron. I'll second the suggestion for the Rittenhouse BIB as a great place to jump into the ryes. We're happy to share the Bourbons of Indianapolis, just make sure you stay outta MacinJosh's way when the BT Antique Collection is released, he can get pretty rabid in his quest for every bottle of GT Stagg in town.

Lotsa great local knowledge and resources here, enjoy!

have fun,
aaron

"The best whisky you'll ever have is the one you share."

birdman1099
12-22-2011, 20:58
Also, for anyone in here that has interest, I found a secret stash of PHC 2010 today. I left two bottles for you fine folks :-). PM me if interested on the location. I'm gonna buy the other two next Friday otherwise!

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome.

oh, no Josh... I beleive your bottles are in danger.... :lol:

I am in Plainfield.... North side gets pretty far after a few drams... but I could pull it off if needed.

mosugoji64
12-22-2011, 21:24

I am in Plainfield.... North side gets pretty far after a few drams... but I could pull it off if needed.

Just have your wife drop you off. I'll have mine get us home! :lol:

MacinJosh
12-22-2011, 22:23

My exact thought Scott!!! :(

I'm rushing over there first thing in the morning.

Josh

birdman1099
12-23-2011, 06:10
My exact thought Scott!!! :(

I'm rushing over there first thing in the morning.

Josh

Its morning... are you there yet???? :grin:

Brian, that just might work....... maybe we should start a group discussion.

MacinJosh
12-23-2011, 11:06
Yup! Secured the last two bottles on the shelf. I think BourbonBaron found my secret store. :(

Josh