PDA

View Full Version : What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Special Reserve
12-24-2011, 17:35
My first drink of the new season was a VWSR Lot B yesterday morning.

Now I'm enjoying a WT12 GCL celebrating a Lions victory. The first time this millennium they qualified for the playoffs.

AaronWF
12-24-2011, 18:10
Somehow it's been Evan Williams taking the lone spot on the mantle while on vacation. I had a few black label minis left over from a previous trip (@ $1.50 they were the best buy in Boston back in November), and in the few short minutes I had to myself to hunt for a bottle here in Boca Raton, the 2000 1B offered itself to me twice. I left it to leave my one and only bottle slot open for another find (I'm so not used to having only one bottle to keep me company at a time, and alas, I've no one to share with) but struck out three times with liquor store GPS before heading back to the EWSB '00 for $26.99. I found 4RSB today for $12 more that I would have preferred, but I'm not complaining too much.

I will say, though, that this standard bottling barely holds a candle to Binny's barrels of the same juice.

B.B. Babington
12-24-2011, 18:15
Evan Williams Egg Nog while watching The Christmas Story ... again.

MarkEdwards
12-24-2011, 18:33
Evan Williams Egg Nog while watching The Christmas Story ... again.

Evan Williams eggnog while enjoying the Internet!

chilidawg7
12-24-2011, 22:06
A healthy pour of some Pappy 15 while trying to decide if I am happy or not about the 70 degree day we're having in Central Florida tomorrow...

mosugoji64
12-24-2011, 22:12
Some WLW 2011 - a Christmas gift from my wife. This is truly a gift that keeps giving! :grin:

p_elliott
12-24-2011, 22:16
A healthy pour of some Pappy 15 while trying to decide if I am happy or not about the 70 degree day we're having in Central Florida tomorrow...

And we were happy about our projected 45 degree day tomorrow. :hot:

jcg9779
12-24-2011, 22:19
Enjoyed some 8 yr. Willett last night with a buddy of mine.

G.H.Adams
12-24-2011, 22:46
Well it's been snowing in my part of New Mexico since Friday afternoon. I have about 9 inches of snow in my front yard and it's expected to snow until Sunday night. Right now the temp is 33 degrees. The high today was 35.

I am having a three finger pour of Four Roses 2011 Limited Edition while surfing the site.

Old Lamplighter
12-25-2011, 00:52
Opened a brand newly acquired VWFRR followed by a Pvt 4R OESO....if I make it that far, planning on ending the evening/morning with 2011 Stagg.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!!!

BFerguson
12-25-2011, 05:38
Been working a Handy 11 for the last couple of days while back visiting the parents. Been holding well and he spice on i is fitting in perfectly with the season.

Greg, I'd be happy to take some of your snow. We've had nothingyet to speak of in MN or IL and it just doesn't feel right without it.

Merry Christmas everybody!!

B

tehbeardman
12-25-2011, 06:28
It was all wheaters last night. Went MM, OWA (old label), PHC 2010, and WLW 2009.

Wow been a while since I tapped into the PHC and its like trying it for the first time again. It is just amazing.

Also, the WLW is my first and I just cracked it open for the first time last night. Wow its great too. I really spoiled myself last night.

Young Blacksmith
12-25-2011, 08:49
After Santa delivered all the gifts, ate the fruitcake, and smoked the pipe we laid out for him he had a few shots of SW juice:

VSOF from the BHC collection,
OF 1849, bottled 37 or so years ago.

The first was really good, sweet, classic SW profile. The 1849 was a bit more like Weller Centennial with the glue/solvent profile and a little more barrel and bitter.

I think Santa had a good time!

clingman71
12-25-2011, 09:11
Had a small Christmas morning pour of Woodford, my sons bought me a liter for Christmas. Now I'm onto my OWA/Weller 12 vatting. This combination is better with each and every pour.

Merry Christmas SBers.

hectic1
12-25-2011, 10:41
Opened a brand newly acquired VWFRR followed by a Pvt 4R OESO....if I make it that far, planning on ending the evening/morning with 2011 Stagg.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!!!
Inquiring minds want to know how you like the FR OESO bottling? ;)

I cracked open a bottle of 2008 Handy this morning...gonna do some Rye's today as they're very holidayish to me! :cool:

Ejmharris
12-25-2011, 10:52
Had small pour of Weller 12 to start day and a pour of White oak Kentucky Shine (some good old fashioned Christmas whiskey). Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T Comp
12-25-2011, 11:22
A 15 ml pour of PVW 20 during the Christmas morning family gift festivities. Its light and subtle nature (or maybe muted and watery :grin: ) make it the perfect special morning sipper. Now back to coffee with lots of cooking prep to go.

Old Lamplighter
12-25-2011, 17:13
Inquiring minds want to know how you like the FR OESO bottling? ;)

I cracked open a bottle of 2008 Handy this morning...gonna do some Rye's today as they're very holidayish to me! :cool:

The OESO was a Binny's bottle that a fellow member was kind enough to acquire for me bout this time last year. It was very, very yummy and I forgot to mention that it became a ghost of Christmas past in the wee hours this morning....but, I made it last as long as I could. After the wonderful VW rye, it was nice break from the rye 'bite'. It kinda reminded me a bit of a vanilla & cinnamon swirl pound cake. I am more fond of the 4R 'OB' recipes that are heartier on the rye side but the Binny's bottle was definitely a special treat and one I shall miss.

I agree 100% - the ryes are also very holidayish to me as well...great winter whiskey!

jcg9779
12-25-2011, 17:31
It was all wheaters last night. Went MM, OWA (old label), PHC 2010, and WLW 2009.

Wow been a while since I tapped into the PHC and its like trying it for the first time again. It is just amazing.

Also, the WLW is my first and I just cracked it open for the first time last night. Wow its great too. I really spoiled myself last night.

Good to see you on here, Andy! It's been a while.

I had a pour of the SV FRSB Jim Rutledge pick with my dad this afternoon.

hectic1
12-25-2011, 17:37
Good to see you on here, Andy! It's been a while.

I had a pour of the SV FRSB Jim Rutledge pick with my dad this afternoon.
Ha...me too.

I had pours of High West Rendevous, PHC 2010 @107, VW Lot B, 1789b FR OESO, and SV Rutledge FR OBSV, gonna finish the night with some 1789b Willett 8yr. Merry Christmas everyone! :cool:

Old Lamplighter
12-25-2011, 19:44
Been bouncing all over the board today....like the food, trying to enjoy a bourbon buffet: VWFRR, WLW 06, Stagg 11, Handy 08...and, I may get a little careless (lol) and crack open the PHC Wheat, Pappy and OFBB 2010...hope I wake up tomorrow.

Hope all had a wonderful and safe Christmas Day!!!

Young Blacksmith
12-25-2011, 20:41
Ooh, you'll wake up, but you might not like the way you feel!

hectic1
12-25-2011, 20:53
Continued with some small pours of OGD BIB 1985 and EW BIB Rebarrel Project...think I'm gonna finish the night with some BHOGD 97! ;)

T Comp
12-25-2011, 20:59
Been bouncing all over the board today....like the food, trying to enjoy a bourbon buffet: VWFRR, WLW 06, Stagg 11, Handy 08...and, I may get a little careless (lol) and crack open the PHC Wheat, Pappy and OFBB 2010...hope I wake up tomorrow.

Hope all had a wonderful and safe Christmas Day!!!

Doing the same bouncing...a little sip of PVW 20 this morning. Pre Christmas dinner drink of '85 bottled Old Ezra with ginger ale and Ango bitters. Post dinner so far has been WLW '11, FR OESO private bottling, EC 18, Willetts 8 year private bottling, WT Rye and Bowman's Rye barrel proof from Party Source.

Old Lamplighter
12-25-2011, 21:12
...Bowman's Rye barrel proof from Party Source.

That is the missing piece for me today...wife had me out yesterday doing last of shopping and here I was expecting FedEx anytime to get my Bowman's here for Christmas Eve & Day. I get back home @ 12:25 & find a FedEx notice on front door with a time of 12:14 :hot:

The wife tells me she could not get off the pot to answer the door...:shithappens:....all I could do was shake my head and immediately proceed to fix up my flask double-strong for travel to her family's Christmas get together.

Oh well, it will be here tomorrow as long as I don't get sent on an errand simultaneously with her morning crap...will have it for New Year's

G.H.Adams
12-25-2011, 21:19
Well Christmas dinner is done and the gifts were opened. Now that the kids and grand kids are gone it's time for me.

The snow has tapered off to flurries after leaving 14 inches of the white stuff that I spent 2 hours shoveling off the driveway and sidewalk.

Enjoying a three finger pour of 2011 Stagg along with a good cigar.

Happy Holidays everyone.

ILLfarmboy
12-25-2011, 23:54
I had a couple Old Fashioneds made with OWA today.

I have to say, it didn't clash with any of the Christmas goodies the wife made, which is one reason I chose OWA instead of my usual Baby Saz. It went really well with the candied walnuts.

But alas, I couldn't get anyone else to try one. They were all about the Eggnog... and somehow about half a bottle of Tanqueray got drained... and now I don't have any limes for Margaritas come taco night.

ILLfarmboy
12-26-2011, 12:05
That is the missing piece for me today...wife had me out yesterday doing last of shopping and here I was expecting FedEx anytime to get my Bowman's here for Christmas Eve & Day. I get back home @ 12:25 & find a FedEx notice on front door with a time of 12:14 :hot:

The wife tells me she could not get off the pot to answer the door...:shithappens:....all I could do was shake my head and immediately proceed to fix up my flask double-strong for travel to her family's Christmas get together.

Oh well, it will be here tomorrow as long as I don't get sent on an errand simultaneously with her morning crap...will have it for New Year's

This post made me laugh.

I was reminded of how as a kid if I got up early to go hunting I'd try to get my morning constitutional done early. But, invariably it just wouldn't happen. Then, after I got all my clothes on; insulated underwear etc etc. pockets full of shells etc..... and by the time I had walked out past the barn and corn crib I'd have to turn back around and go back to the house. :smiley_acbt:

You just can't re-schedule your morning crap to fit the day's circumstances.

smokinjoe
12-26-2011, 13:18
This post made me laugh.

I was reminded of how as a kid if I got up early to go hunting I'd try to get my morning constitutional done early. But, invariably it just wouldn't happen. Then, after I got all my clothes on; insulated underwear etc etc. pockets full of shells etc..... and by the time I had walked out past the barn and corn crib I'd have to turn back around and go back to the house. :smiley_acbt:

You just can't re-schedule your morning crap to fit the day's circumstances.

You know what would be really funny? If we were to show OL's post to his wife, and watch the asswhoopin' he takes from her! :lol:

As far as what am I drinking. I don't think there is a bottle of whiskey in the house that I haven't hit in the last couple of days...:falling:

Old Lamplighter
12-26-2011, 17:07
You know what would be really funny? If we were to show OL's post to his wife, and watch the asswhoopin' he takes from her! :lol:

You are correct...I would take a whuppin - if not physical then at least verbal for the next umpteen years. "Constitutional" was the word my brain could not find when needed there...a much better word than what I used. I work outside and that exact same thing happens at least a half dozen times every winter after I get all the insulated & layers of clothing on....another reason why I sometimes dream of living farther south...but no, too far from Kentucky!

I apologize for the TMI post...just frustrated at not having the Bowman for Christmas. VWFRR and Handy stood in quite well though I must say. As for today, same song as yesterday with a 4R pvt OBSK to add.

smokinjoe
12-27-2011, 16:48
A beautiful pour from a newly purchased bottle of Buffalo Trace. What a great whiskey. I love it's hint of earthiness. You know the movie "Hoosiers"? Remember the scene where Hackman is at Hershey's house, and they're out back? And, he's running the sorghum stalks through the press, while they talk? A barn in the Midwest, cool weather, sweetness from the sorghum, smoke from a fire in the air, dark fertile soil...Buffalo Trace is that kind of bourbon. Makes me want to go put on my favorite flannel shirt...

B.B. Babington
12-27-2011, 19:18
4R single barrel picked by Ron & David from Uncle Jack's Spirits - Georgia

excellent selection

Ejmharris
12-27-2011, 19:24
Angels Envy, been open for 9 months. First time I have enjoyed it.

hectic1
12-28-2011, 07:16
I had Tom and Thad over last night and we worked our way through some of my open bottles and some stuff that Tom brought over.

VWFRR "A" bottling
Pappy 15 2011
ORVW 10/107 2010
Willett 8yr 1789b Selection #3
Bowman 18yr PS #1
FR OBSK Binny's
FR OBSK P/C #1
PHC 2010 127.8 @107
Handy 2008
Fighting Cock 8/103
DougDog/Neil 22yr Rye
Willett 5yr Rye Toddy's
Willett 2yr Rye
Bob's Living Bottle

Overall I'm still amazed how much I like the new Willett 8yr bottle that just arrived. The Pappy 15 is still good but I would put it more in line with the ORVW 10/107 now vs being a product carrying the Pappy Van Winkle name. I certainly wouldn't pay $65 a bottle for it when ORVW 10/107 can be had for half that price.

I've been trying to drink more ryes as I've always leaned towards bourbon and more specifically wheater pours. I'm beginning to really appreciate a good rye whiskey and I think Tom and Thad would agree that the 2008 Handy is a very nice represenation of a youngish BP Rye...I wish that it had about 2-3 more years on it as I think it would really be entering it's prime at that age(see Bowman Rye).

All in all a fun night of hanging with some other bourbon/whiskey dorks and watching some Moonshiners to make sure we kept the theme going! :cool:

Hershmeister
12-28-2011, 08:17
Sampled side by side OFBB 2009 and 2011

Really liked the 2009. The 2011 tastes more like scotch to me than bourbon. Anyone else have a similar experience?

clingman71
12-28-2011, 08:20
Had a pour of Woodford from my Christmas bottle. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it just doesn't do it for me like it used to. Years ago,when I liked bourbon, but before I loved it, I really enjoyed Woodford. I'm not sure if it is the changing of my tastes, the changing of the product, or a little of both, but I struggle with current Woodford. I think that most of it has to do with thin mouthfeel. There is ok flavorand spice,but the lack of body throws those flavors off, not sure that I'm wording this correctly. I think more body would "carry" the spice better. In the beer world it would be an IPA that is too thin to carry the hop bitterness, becomes one dimensional.

Tony
12-28-2011, 12:41
Some WTKS http://img.tapatalk.com/442b8f8c-70eb-20ac.jpg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.443673,-83.491730

White Dog
12-28-2011, 19:13
Finally got my hands on Old Ezra 7yr. VERY nice at this price, and I'm not much of a HH fan. Not a hater, just usually a bit spotty for me.

Josh
12-28-2011, 19:23
Finally got my hands on Old Ezra 7yr. VERY nice at this price, and I'm not much of a HH fan. Not a hater, just usually a bit spotty for me.

One of my go-tos especially in the winter. Love that stuff. The only thing I don't like about it is how it doesn't come in handles.

I'm celebrating the survival of another Christmas with the family with some Lawrenceburg Old Rip 90 followed by some Cognac-barrel finish PHC and dark chocolate.

soad
12-28-2011, 19:36

Got my first bottle two days ago...all I can say is....WOW.

HH has really dropped the ball marketing Old Ezra. The 101 should be a nationwide direct competitor of WT101 and OGD BIB, it is that good.

Josh
12-28-2011, 20:15

HH has really dropped the ball marketing Old Ezra. The 101 should be a nationwide direct competitor of WT101 and OGD BIB, it is that good.

HH is probably (like 98% sure) the distiller of the whiskey but the brand is owned by Luxco. So Luxco is the one dropping the ball.:cool:

smokinjoe
12-28-2011, 20:17

Count me in as an Old Ezra lover, too. I've said it a thousand times, It's what WT "should be, or at least was". Although, it is most likely Heaven Hill whiskey in the bottle, it's not a HH product. It's that whole David Sherman- which may have become something else-thing. No matter, though. It's really good whiskey.

jcg9779
12-28-2011, 20:22
Had some Four Roses SB tonight...didn't really hit the spot for me though.

G.H.Adams
12-28-2011, 20:54
Enjoying a pour of 2010 Handy with a Diesel Unlimited cigar.

fishnbowljoe
12-28-2011, 21:54
Bowling night tonight. :bigeyes: Let's see..... Pappy 15, BHC George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve, BHC OCPR, BHC VSOF, BHC Weller Centennial (Louisville), oh, and more Pappy 15. It was a good night. What a way to put bowling to rest for 2011. :woohoo: Cheers and Happy New Year! Joe

AaronWF
12-28-2011, 21:55
A barn in the Midwest, cool weather, sweetness from the sorghum, smoke from a fire in the air, dark fertile soil...Buffalo Trace is that kind of bourbon. Makes me want to go put on my favorite flannel shirt...

Well if I wasn't thirsty already I'd sure as hell be after reading your lovely synaesthetic description!

Means a lot to me especially right now. It seems a current course of antibiotics has accomplished the rare task of robbing me of my taste buds. I know it's only temporary, but it's such a bummer!

The only thing reaching me in this state is my bottle of 3-year old Willet Rye. That simple syrup-balanced spearmint is rushing past the fog over my tongue quite nicely.

Luna56
12-28-2011, 23:29
Bowling night tonight. :bigeyes: Let's see..... Pappy 15, BHC George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve, BHC OCPR, BHC VSOF, BHC Weller Centennial (Louisville), oh, and more Pappy 15. It was a good night. What a way to put bowling to rest for 2011. :woohoo: Cheers and Happy New Year! Joe

Joe, gimme the keys. GIMME THE KEYS!!! :lol:

Cold and windy here, this year's Handy is keeping the inner fire burning.

Cheers!

smokinjoe
12-29-2011, 07:49
Well if I wasn't thirsty already I'd sure as hell be after reading your lovely synaesthetic description!

Means a lot to me especially right now. It seems a current course of antibiotics has accomplished the rare task of robbing me of my taste buds. I know it's only temporary, but it's such a bummer!

The only thing reaching me in this state is my bottle of 3-year old Willet Rye. That simple syrup-balanced spearmint is rushing past the fog over my tongue quite nicely.

Well, thank you. But, I'm pretty sure synaesthetism is illegal in Georgia. I know it is in Alabama.

Ryes are good medicine. I hope you get to feeling better!

brritscold
12-29-2011, 15:18
Opened a Lot B from last spring, and it surprised me -- great mouthfeel, delicious flavors (caramel, sugar, hint of wood, hint of dried fruit), less heat/dryness than the PVW 15 and ORWV 10/107 (which were both delicious in their own way). Definitely a step up from the Weller 12 that I bought around the same time. I'm going to look forward to seeing how this evolves now that it's open.

Tony
12-29-2011, 16:00
Had a little bit of this years Stagg today, good stuff.

Best regards, tony

BillP
12-29-2011, 19:29
Enjoying a Christmas present - WR. Thanks to my kind wife!

Bill

kyrocklover
12-29-2011, 20:03
Started out with a couple of pours of Wathen's and then moved up in proof to Kirkland Signature(Jim Beam).

While not my favorite, I don't understand the hate for the costco bourbon. Damn good value poor in my opinion. 1 liter for $20.

White Dog
12-29-2011, 20:09
Started out with a couple of pours of Wathen's and then moved up in proof to Kirkland Signature(Jim Beam).

While not my favorite, I don't understand the hate for the costco bourbon. Damn good value poor in my opinion. 1 liter for $20.

Would you mind sharing some Wathen's tasting notes? There's an active Wathen thread over in the Premium forum, and I'm sure we'd love to hear more thoughts on it.

White Dog
12-29-2011, 20:12
An old Old Crow white label. 80 proof, 4yr on back label, front states W.A. Gaines Division of Old Crow... The address lists both Frankfort, and Clermont. There's a 90 on the bottom of the bottle.

I believe this is the last of the real Old Crow, which means it's right after they corrected the recipe, according to what Chuck wrote in his book.

It sure tastes "corrected" to me!:grin: :grin: Great stuff.

drunk
12-29-2011, 20:37
Finished off my first Rowan's Creek bottle last night. I will definitely be buying more of those. Love Noah's Mill too.

Tonight its Four Roses small batch. Definitely fits the mellow mood label. I hope to shake Jim Rutledge's hand some day.

lrochau
12-29-2011, 20:38
Finally kicked my sinus issues, Pappy 15 and OWA to celebrate!

maxblack
12-30-2011, 03:04
Well it's Summer here in Aus, but I'm enjoying the EWSB 2000 Vintage......enjoying it very much :cool:

(Pappy Van Winkle 20 only a couple of days out :bowdown: .....I hope)

Josh
12-30-2011, 06:07
Had my first taste of Temptation bourbon last night. Lots of flavor but lacked a bit of punch. Reminded me some of Four Roses, which I guess is not too surprising.

Old Lamplighter
12-30-2011, 07:01
Last nite I finally found some Weller 12 and put it in the mixer with OWA....very good combo. The slight 107 heat came thru on the front end with the smooth 90 on the finish. Wonder what we ought to call this discovery...Weller 1207....Antique 907...???

Vosgar
12-30-2011, 09:42
I had a couple of friends over last night who wanted to see what bourbon is all about, being mainly beer and occasional JD drinkers. Not having a clue what they might like, we started off with some 80's OT, then on to Weller 12, Weller Centennial, Col. E.H. Taylor sour mash, ER 101, RR 101, Pappy 15, and FR 100th. Somewhere in the middle of those we had dinner and some AE. Both of them passed on trying the 09 GTS. The Centennial was their favorite with Pappy coming in second.

Everyone had a good time and I finished off the night with a nice pour of VWFRR.

Gary

Tony
12-30-2011, 12:57
WLW from this year.http://img.tapatalk.com/442b8f8c-178d-2893.jpg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.443749,-83.491635

jcg9779
12-30-2011, 13:14
Finally kicked my sinus issues, Pappy 15 and OWA to celebrate!

You're a couple of days ahead of me...as soon as I kick this cold I'll be having a pour of PVW 15 also!

ratcheer
12-30-2011, 18:30
This evening, I was reading before dinner and had a straight pour from a new bottle of WT 101. It has that great WT flavor, but it is harsher and not as rich as I remember it.

Tim

BillP
12-30-2011, 19:14
This evening, I was reading before dinner and had a straight pour from a new bottle of WT 101. It has that great WT flavor, but it is harsher and not as rich as I remember it.

Tim
WT 101 here also. One of my Christmas presents. I enjoy it.

Bill

White Dog
12-30-2011, 19:19
Mellow Corn. Stuff goes down so easily it's almost criminal at 100 proof. The more I drink HH labels the more I like B-F!:lol: :lol: Think I'll pick up some Signature at the next opportunity.

BFerguson
12-30-2011, 20:48
Some Weller 12 and a little nightcap of OFBB 11.

Good pours to end a good week.

B

G.H.Adams
12-30-2011, 20:58
Enjoying a pour of Abraham Bowman Bourbon barrel 5.

Hershmeister
12-30-2011, 22:40
A taste of Willet 17. Yum!

clingman71
12-30-2011, 22:45
A taste of Willet 17. Yum!

And? How is it? I have a bottle that I'm opening for New Years.
Tonight I had the last of my initial OWA - Weller 12 vatting.

Hershmeister
12-31-2011, 08:12
And? How is it? I have a bottle that I'm opening for New Years.
Tonight I had the last of my initial OWA - Weller 12 vatting.

As with my other willet experiences, The 17 has a lot of fruit flavors - apricot perhaps is the best one I can come up with. The 17 seems to have a bit more rye in it than the 19, which makes for a nice burn/spice, but it dissapears quickly and you're left with a nice aftertaste.

PS: it seemed to taste better this week vs last week when I opened the bottle. Whether that was based on what I had to eat or just getting a little oxygen in the bottle, I'm not sure.

Let me know what you think.

Special Reserve
12-31-2011, 08:23
I had a little PVW 20 this morning.

Got a good review yesterday so decided to have something that I haven't had in a while.

smokinjoe
12-31-2011, 14:55
Getting ready to head out for the night's Festivities, and sipping on a 4 Roses Small Batch. Really wonderful. I have given the Sm B short shrift over the years, while extolling the virtues of the Single Barrel. I am going to have to flip-flop on this one. I am enjoying this Sm B more than the last couple of bottles of Single Barrel. It's more rounded. More going on. Thicker. 2012 is going to be my 4RSmB year, I think!

BigRich
12-31-2011, 15:49
I'm staying in with the wife and daughter this year. I started early with a little '09 Saz 18.

B.B. Babington
12-31-2011, 16:03
...sipping on a 4 Roses Small Batch. Really wonderful. I have given the Sm B short shrift over the years, while extolling the virtues of the Single Barrel...Small batch never fails to impress. Thanks for the suggestion. That may be my choice this evening.

clingman71
12-31-2011, 16:47
Happy New Year 2012 everyone!

I began with a small pour of John L Sullivan, then a little Woodford, now it is the SB prescribed OWA/Weller 12 vatting. I have a mini 1.7 fl oz Louisville Old W.L.Weller Special Reserve for tonight and a TPS Willett barrel 14a 17 year wheater to open for midnight. Also have a few assorted special beers for the in between times tonight.

clingman71
12-31-2011, 16:51
As with my other willet experiences, The 17 has a lot of fruit flavors - apricot perhaps is the best one I can come up with. The 17 seems to have a bit more rye in it than the 19, which makes for a nice burn/spice, but it dissapears quickly and you're left with a nice aftertaste.

PS: it seemed to taste better this week vs last week when I opened the bottle. Whether that was based on what I had to eat or just getting a little oxygen in the bottle, I'm not sure.

Let me know what you think.

My Willett 17 year old is a wheated bourbon, selected for the Party Source. I have heard of a few other wheaters for other retailers as well. I haven't heard of a 17 year Willett non-wheated bourbon. I'll post on it. but apples and oranges.

Old Lamplighter
12-31-2011, 17:16
I'm staying in with the wife and daughter this year. I started early with a little '09 Saz 18.

I am same as you but without the Saz 18. I started the evening a small sip of last nite's new wonder - a TPS 4R Pvt OBSQ...needs a little air methinks. So, although a minor blasphemy, I have switched for a short while to some Ciroc & OJ while I get the steaks & shrimp cookin. As soon as feasible, I will be moving into some '11 Stagg. Just did not want to get the high octane Stagg too close to the grill.

Though not a vodka freak...this Ciroc is some good stuff - a Christmas gift. Closer to midnight here in the CST zone, thinking about toasting a new year with Pappy...it don't get much better than that...Happy New Year to All!!!!

bad_scientist
12-31-2011, 17:47
TPS 4R OBSK, opened 45 minutes ago. Strangely, I don't get much of a nose, except some nice rye every now and then. On the palate I get lots of sweet corn, followed (as promised by the description on the bottle) by a stately rye explosion, so much that it tastes for a while like an old straight rye. On the finish it's all cotton candy and bubblegum with a bit of barrel char, and finally the rye again. Nice!

The "problem" is that it's way, way, WAY too easy to drink at 62.3%. I just had a PHC 2010 cut to 107 proof and it was harder to drink than this!

This is a conundrum. I might have to switch to beer when the party starts in 15 minutes. This one will have me talking in tongues in no time flat.

moose
12-31-2011, 22:42
Ridgemont 1792 via a Perfect Manhattan

2 parts bourbon
1 part sweet vermouth
1 part extra dry vermouth
3 dashes orange bitters
1 maraschino cherry for garnish

Still experimenting with manhattans, but this recipe is great, didn't think I'd get much for the bitters, but the orange adds a nice bit of complexity to the cocktail, and the mixture of vermouths helps cut down on the sometimes cloying sweetness that can come from just the sweet vermouth alone.

clingman71
01-01-2012, 10:40
I've been enjoying a recently purchased wheated Vintage 17 lately. I purchased my TPS Willett 14a 17 year wheater at the same time but saved it for New Years Eve. After reading about both, it would seem that the Willett is a barrel strength unfiltered Bernheim distilled wheater to V17's 94 proof filtered Bernheim distilled wheater. As much as I enjoy the V17, there is absolutely no comparison. There is so much more concentration of flavor with the Willett. It is also insanely easy to drink, even neat, at 130+proof (sorry, the bottle is not in front of me right now for the exact proof).

All of this being said, I also had a 1.7 oz mini bottle of Old Weller Special Reserve Louisville. It has a strip that stated tax paid - distilled spirit - something ATF. I don't remember exactly, no dates printed on the strip. I'm not sure of the age, all I can say was that it was the whiskey of the night. Karen had a taste and kept commenting on how "rich" it was compared to the other whiskeys tasted last night. Vanilla, caramel, more wood than expected for 7 years old, but not too much, creamy full mouthfeel. There was a chewy fruit thing going on, but I'm not sure how to accurately describe it, almost like a dark fruit/cherry sensation like dark Belgian beers have (think St Bernardus 12). Rich was the exact description that kept coming back to both of us, it was almost hypnotic. Once we tasted the weller, we kept talking about it for a half hour after it was gone. I drank some excellent whiskeys for New Years, but they were all overshadowed by the Weller. Ive never had this sort of experience with a bourbon before, even the ones I love.Incredible!

Also, this pour tasted much "bolder" than expected for 90 proof, if that makes any sense.

If anyone can shed light on the possible age of this Weller I'd appreciate it. I'm not up to speed on dating bottles, tax strips and such.

sob0728
01-01-2012, 20:46
Some BT with a craft ginger ale that has pieces of fresh ginger in it. Delicious.

White Dog
01-01-2012, 21:12
Polishing off my 2010 OFBB, in anticipation of buying some 2011 in 2012.

(That sentence would only make sense to this bunch of weirdos.:lol: )

Happy New Year everyone!

bad_scientist
01-01-2012, 21:20
I also had a 1.7 oz mini bottle of Old Weller Special Reserve Louisville. It has a strip that stated tax paid - distilled spirit - something ATF. I don't remember exactly, no dates printed on the strip. I'm not sure of the age, all I can say was that it was the whiskey of the night. Karen had a taste and kept commenting on how "rich" it was compared to the other whiskeys tasted last night. Vanilla, caramel, more wood than expected for 7 years old, but not too much, creamy full mouthfeel. There was a chewy fruit thing going on, but I'm not sure how to accurately describe it, almost like a dark fruit/cherry sensation like dark Belgian beers have (think St Bernardus 12). Rich was the exact description that kept coming back to both of us, it was almost hypnotic. Once we tasted the weller, we kept talking about it for a half hour after it was gone. I drank some excellent whiskeys for New Years, but they were all overshadowed by the Weller. Ive never had this sort of experience with a bourbon before, even the ones I love.Incredible!

Also, this pour tasted much "bolder" than expected for 90 proof, if that makes any sense.

If anyone can shed light on the possible age of this Weller I'd appreciate it. I'm not up to speed on dating bottles, tax strips and such.

As a sort of general placement, if it has a UPC code, it's likely after 1980. If the volume is listed in mls, it's also late-70s, early-80s, at the earliest. If it has a government warning, it's after 1988 or 1989 (I can't remember the exact year). I've heard a lot of different things about the tax strips, regarding color and numbers. I read in one post that if the strip has 8 digits, it's not later than 1983 or close to that.

Anyway, excellent find! I've been debating paying the Ebay price for a nice old Weller, since there's nothing like that around here. I didn't much like the Old Fitzgerald I found (1980-1983), but that's most likely because it was so young and wheaters need more time.

mosugoji64
01-01-2012, 23:28
Polishing off my 2010 OFBB, in anticipation of buying some 2011 in 2012.

(That sentence would only make sense to this bunch of weirdos.:lol: )

Happy New Year everyone!

I'm enjoying some of that as well. Tried a 2:1 vatting of that with some Signature. The combo seemed to bring more balance to the two. Not bad!

Phil T
01-02-2012, 08:04
Just cracked open an '11 ER17. My first impression is: I'm not sure this bourbon has any redeeming value at all.

Special Reserve
01-02-2012, 08:09
WT12 CGL a nice way to start a new day.

Flyfish
01-02-2012, 16:47
Couple nice pours of FC while the Gamecocks handled the Cornhuskers. Moved on to 4RSB during the Rose Bowl. Glad the games were not in the reverse order. Much prefer to finish with the 4RSB.

Hershmeister
01-02-2012, 17:41
A finger of ORVW/107. With Oreo double stuf cookies. Yum!

Phil T
01-02-2012, 17:47
Its just a cold, nasty day in O H I O...Good day to watch football and enjoy some bourbon :

VSOF
WTRB
OGD114
VOB
FR1B's, OESO & OBSV

awachatz
01-02-2012, 17:59
Just finished two fingers of PHC 2010. Good stuff...........

Eth3rStrik3r
01-02-2012, 18:28
Just had a little bit of 4RSmB, and then decided to open my bottle of Fleishmann's Rye that I just picked up on my recent trip to Wisconsin. Tastes quite young, but I would have to put it as a close 2nd or 3rd on my favorite rye whiskies.

hectic1
01-02-2012, 18:53
Having some BMH 23yr Rye that I picked up today...

Intoxicating nose filled with creamy caramel, rye spice, orange rhine, apricots and some oak

Pallet: Buttery entry with rye spice carried throughout and finishes with some driness and hints of dark chocolate.

Finish: The Rye Spice and the Wood balance themselves quite nicely on this pour...It's not quite as long in finish as some of the barrel proofers that I've been drinking of late but this is a nice representation of a old rye whiskey! Sky would love this pour! :cool:

mosugoji64
01-02-2012, 21:23
Weller 12 followed by EWBIB. I maintain that these are two of the most undervalued bourbons available, especially the Weller 12. Absolutely wonderful! :grin:

BigRich
01-03-2012, 09:21
I finished off my bottle of WSR and Old Scout last night. I also put a pretty big dent in my Saz 18 '09. That one's almost gone.

jkater1
01-03-2012, 09:46
I cracked open the PHC cognac last night, boy was it good.

AaronWF
01-03-2012, 11:24
Rang in the new year with PVW20 and VWFRR, what a pair!

Kicked a Binny's EC18 4/15/92 and the VWFRR on 1/1, and continued my weekend of decadence with some GTS '10, FRLESmB '11 and PVW15 from '09.

Yesterday I cracked a private barrel of BT. I wish I wish I wish it was barrel proof; at 90pr, it sips sweet, but so many subtle flavors are totally washed out.

dohidied
01-03-2012, 14:35
Enjoying a FR1B OESK from my favorite store in SF. Just cracked this open yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. Sweet, rich, and spicy with heavy barrel char flavors. A nice long caramel finish. I know I'm late to the party, but I'm falling in love with Four Roses.

gburger
01-03-2012, 16:47
I bought a bottle of PHC Wheat a couple of weeks ago. The store I got it at had three bottles.
Then a few days ago I looked up at my bar and noticed that it was half empty, half full, whatever, it was going down quickly.
So I made the hour trip back to the same location and got their last one.
I must say that this version of PHC is on my top three list. WLW is another top fav.
I am looking forward to this year's PHC bottling.

ACDetroit
01-03-2012, 17:32
The last pour out of an old Pappy 15 yr old. It's never a regular pour for me, though every time I go to this bottle, I ask myself, self? Why is it you do drink this more often? Well it empty now, might be a little time before I open another.

jcg9779
01-03-2012, 17:48
Some WSR that's been open for a while. I'm recovering from a cold though, and it's still not tasting quite right.

Phil T
01-03-2012, 17:59
Started with some WR, ending with OFBIB

Tucker
01-03-2012, 18:02
Just finished the remaining ounce of a handle of OC 10 that's been sitting around for a while. On to the Weller 12.

Young Blacksmith
01-03-2012, 18:18
ND era Bourbon DeLuxe. I think I'm gonna put this bottle in the fridge and drink it regularly, it's pretty good for an 80 proofer but of course won't stand up to ice cubes.

awachatz
01-03-2012, 19:26
PVW15 and some W H Harrison Governor Reserve Rye. Both seem a little better once opened for several weeks.

BigRich
01-04-2012, 07:15
My Saz 18, '09 was polished up last night.

Parkersback
01-04-2012, 09:59
A little summary of some Christmas pours:

JTS Brown BIB was the mainstay, as there was a bottle at my mom's house. Nothing at all wrong with it: sweet, strong, pretty easy to drink. Probably preferred it on the rocks.

Elijah Craig 18: This was my first taste of this ever, and I was duly impressed. It is definitely woody, but in a warm, dark cinnamon way. Layered and complex. We are running a tight budget these days, and with all the bottles in the cupboard, I'm not buying much. But this might be my next bottle.

A little off topic, but Canadian Club (The Classic) 12: I like to get my mom's husband a bottle of Canadian whiskey to share over the holidays, last year it was CR Cask 16, this year it was CC12. This was pretty good stuff. The description given by Davin on his site is pretty spot on, a very Christmassy whiskey, meaning lots of warm, spice flavors. Absolutely no burn in the finish, in a way that is both good and bad. Easier to drink than the CC10. And I felt like it was thinner than the 10 year old, too. One way to say it is that I could almost mistake CC10 for bourbon, but not CC12.

jcg9779
01-04-2012, 17:49
A little BT this evening before the football game starts.

Young Blacksmith
01-04-2012, 18:56
Col E H Taylor sour mash. Hits the spot tonight.

Phil T
01-04-2012, 19:03
I started out with '08 OFBB. I just love the slight sweetness and spicy goodness. Finishing with OGD114. I know OGD BIB has a huge following, but I think this pour kicks its butt.

birdman1099
01-04-2012, 19:06
I cracked open an old Fitz Bib bottled 1980..... This is a great example why SW is so sought after..... :grin:

Clavius
01-04-2012, 21:03
Taking a break from Islay single malts I'm drinking some Old Forester Signature tonight. In my opinion, this stuff is at least ten times better than Woodford.

smokinjoe
01-04-2012, 21:30
A good solid pour of ETL while I sit here astounded on what the crap happened during the 30 minutes I left watching the Orange Bowl to help my daughter with homework!!! WVU has put up 63?!?!?!!? 30 minutes ago it was something like 17-14. Holy schnikes!! :bigeyes:

mosugoji64
01-04-2012, 22:48
VSOF. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but think I would have a hard time picking this out as a wheater in a blind test.

mosugoji64
01-05-2012, 15:39
Some EW Honey Reserve and ginger ale. It's the only way I can stomach the stuff - way too sweet for me. This is probably the last bottle of flavored bourbon I will ever buy.

Phil T
01-05-2012, 16:48
A couple weeks ago, I emptied an '08 OFBB. So glad I have a few more. I opened an '11 bottle last week, and man, Chris Morris does the BB's right. Slightly sweet and rye spice yummyness. I now have to add a few more of these to the stash, not that that bothers me.

mosugoji64
01-05-2012, 20:55
ORVW 10/107 followed by HH BIB gold label while having friends over for a belated holiday gathering. Good bourbon just makes good times that much better.

clingman71
01-05-2012, 21:27
Had a nice pour of CnB BT tonight, a solid midweek pour.

Clavius
01-05-2012, 21:48
Knob Creek on the rocks tonight. Tastes damn good.

hectic1
01-06-2012, 07:00
Had a couple pours last night with a neighbor who enjoys whiskey...VW Lot B, FRBS 1789b OESO, and FR P/C 1 OBSK were poured...the OESO bottle was the hit of the night! :cool:

mrt
01-06-2012, 13:53
I have just had some Jim Beam (White). I know many sneer at it (not here though, with already limited choices!), but anyway, I like Beam Whiskey-whether it's black or white. It's something like...I feel at home when I drink Jim Beam :)

smokinjoe
01-06-2012, 15:09
This week kicked my arse. Starting with a 2004 Stagg to take the edge off.

Tucker
01-06-2012, 16:05

Next week is going to kick my arse. Don't want to think about it, so I'm starting the weekend with PHC 10 with a couple of drops of water.

smokinjoe
01-06-2012, 16:11
Next week is going to kick my arse. Don't want to think about it, so I'm starting the weekend with PHC 10 with a couple of drops of water.

Ah, but you have GBS event to look forward to, afterwards!! :cool:

I think I'll pour me some of that PHC 10, too.

BFerguson
01-06-2012, 19:34
Emptied the last pour out of the Willet 4yr rye. Still love it. Need to work on emptying something else before decided on what to crack next.

B

jcg9779
01-06-2012, 20:12

The whole month of December kicked my arse as we closed out our year, so I'm now drinking to celebrate January finally being here!

FR P/C OESO in the glass tonight.

bad_scientist
01-06-2012, 20:51
Old Forester '88 while getting my butt kicked by my wife in Ticket to Ride.

autiger23
01-06-2012, 21:02
Opened up one of the new pappy 20 year bottles in that case I got. Yum...perfect for football tonight.

gburger
01-06-2012, 21:38
Four Roses 2011 is nice.

mosugoji64
01-06-2012, 23:10

Next week will be an arse-kicker for me as well with the spring semester starting. I've been drinking as many things as possible without kicking my own arse! Currently, it's EWSB '97. Wishing I had picked up the second bottle behind it since I think this is my favorite EWSB so far. It really highlights the HH rye spice and seems to have more character than some of the others.

luther.r
01-06-2012, 23:38
This week was pretty easy. Next week will be pretty easy also.

I opened a 2009 PVW15 tonight, been sipping alongside a PVW20 and a 2011 PVW15 (open about 2 weeks). IMO the '11 Pappy 15 is definitely a cut below, but certainly delicious. I just don't think it's that much better than ORVW10/107.

fishnbowljoe
01-07-2012, 00:37
It was a Van Winkle night. :bigeyes: LotB, ORVW 10/107, Pappy 15, and VWFRR. It was a long week. I needed to treat myself.

clingman71
01-07-2012, 05:52
It was a Van Winkle night. :bigeyes: LotB, ORVW 10/107, Pappy 15, and VWFRR. It was a long week. I needed to treat myself.

I love nights like that! It seems as though last week was long/rough for many.

Phil T
01-07-2012, 05:59

Dang Joe, when you treat yourself, you don't mess around ..:cool: ..I like that

bad_scientist
01-07-2012, 07:46
This, though I don't really know what it is:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17012

Old Lamplighter
01-07-2012, 08:19
This, though I don't really know what it is:
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17012

I don't know either but it looks very interesting and tasty. As for me, I never got a posting here last night due to a pleasant evening with Mr. Handy followed by Mr. Stagg showing up later.:drink:

Now, in the aftermath, I am entertaining myself with brew from the Maxwell House:coffeedrinker:

bad_scientist
01-07-2012, 08:42
I don't know either but it looks very interesting and tasty. As for me, I never got a posting here last night due to a pleasant evening with Mr. Handy followed by Mr. Stagg showing up later.:drink:

I daresay they are of the finest breeding. One can only improve oneself in the presence of such gentlemen.

Old Lamplighter
01-07-2012, 12:02
I daresay they are of the finest breeding. One can only improve oneself in the presence of such gentlemen.

Absolutely...it could not be stated in any better terms!

maskaggs
01-07-2012, 12:19
In an ongoing effort to really think about my bourbons I've started taking some notes on everything on my bar so I have a solid record for comparisons. Last night saw AAA10Y/86, following on the heels of VOB6Y/86. I enjoyed the AAA more, but thought the extra 4 years would mellow it out more than it actually did. For the money, though, the AAA is outstanding in my book and will always have a place on the bar.

George
01-07-2012, 12:56
Having some MM today. I'm really enjoying the nose on this pour.

MarkEdwards
01-07-2012, 13:22
At the moment, I am not allowed to drink due to medication for a tooth abscess, but I brought in the new year with pours of LotB, PVW15 and PVW20.

I am not letting my dry spell stop me from SHOPPING, however. :grin:

jcg9779
01-07-2012, 14:18
Celebrating my Baylor Bears' basketball win over the Texas Tech Red Raiders with a pour of FR SmB LE 2010.

smokinjoe
01-07-2012, 17:31
Got the outside Christmas decorations down before the thunderstorm rolled in. Started with a 4RSmB, then onto a 13th Colony Southern Corn Whiskey. It's a nice 95 proofer, with a nice color, weight, and taste.

mosugoji64
01-08-2012, 00:26
Had some friends over for a game night party. Started with WT rye, then moved on to ERSB, OWA, and WLW '11.

dridge11
01-08-2012, 09:14
yountvillewjs came over last night, partly to celebrate my wife's birthday, partly to get into all these bourbon's we've wanted to try from each other's stashes.

We went with:
Manhattan with Baby Saz
Manhattan with 1/2 Baby Saz and 1/2 Handy (2011)
Handy 2011
Saz18 2011
ER17 2011
OWA
GTS2011
then back to some more Saz18

Fun night and still feeling like a champ this morning! I must say, GTS2011 straight is remarkably potent, but SO SO SO good.

clingman71
01-08-2012, 16:37
A little VWFRR while watching the game. I have a bigger pour of V17 airing a bit, hopefully celebrating a Denver win.

wmpevans
01-08-2012, 16:43
Ritt BIB with cube of ice watching the amazing turnaround in Den-Pitt game.

1st quarter looked like a walk for Pitt, then Tebow...effect.....

M Pickle
01-08-2012, 16:55
2 pours of Lot B and now I've got Old Forester Sig on ice. Watching the game. Never thought Denver would bring it this strong.

BillP
01-08-2012, 19:32
Gentlemen & Ladies,

I'm enjoying my first Lot B. Even better, I'm "Tebowing" with my first Lot B in honor of the Bronco''s win! :bowdown:

Bill

Eth3rStrik3r
01-08-2012, 22:05
Had a family game night with my sister and her partner, shared a couple different types of bourbon and ryes with him, mainly had some 4RSmB but also some RR BIB. Good times, except for our cats going crazy over some kind of shiny toy and knocking over the bottle of RR.

LongBeachScott
01-08-2012, 22:19
Watching Illinois at home against Nebraska on the DVR. Not happy with it. Having some OGD 114. Much happier with that!

Parkersback
01-09-2012, 10:16
I had a KB1B in a restaurant last night. I liked it better than the first time I tried it. Dark brown sugar, a fair amount of wood. It's pretty solid, and was pretty drinkable for being 120proof (though with a nice, burning finish).

I'd buy it in a bar again depending on where I'm at and what's available, but probably not for home. At $40 plus tax, I'm probably more inclined to something like 4R1B (and saving $5).

Or if I really want a Beam product, I'd go Baker's (and, again, save $5).

dohidied
01-09-2012, 15:30
I've got a pour of WTRB 01-91 and I am loving it. I opened the bottle on Thanksgiving and broke the cork, so I'd been reluctant to pull the 2nd cork out until I bought an Ah-So just in case. Didn't need it though, the cork came out nicely.

angler82
01-09-2012, 15:54
Opened up a bottle of Parker's Heritage Cognac finished. It is great whiskey.

Josh
01-09-2012, 16:41

I very much agree!

I am enjoying some Heaven Hill White Label BiB on the rocks, inspired by the Best Bourbon on the rocks thread. This is definately one of them!

AaronWF
01-09-2012, 16:53

I very much agree!

There is a suspiciously addictive quality to that cognac finished PHC... I feel like it's quite a bit better than it should be, somehow.

I revisited some PVW15 from the recent allocation. It's been open for over a month now, and I am definitely finding more to love than the last time I brought it out.

I'm kind of obsessed with the FRLESmB '11. I am getting the most divine sweet notes of fruity caramelized honey. Winnie the Pooh is one lucky bear if this is how regular old honey tastes to him, and I'd gladly brave a hive of wasps for the stuff...

Josh
01-09-2012, 17:41
There is a suspiciously addictive quality to that cognac finished PHC... I feel like it's quite a bit better than it should be, somehow.

I revisited some PVW15 from the recent allocation. It's been open for over a month now, and I am definitely finding more to love than the last time I brought it out.

I'm kind of obsessed with the FRLESmB '11. I am getting the most divine sweet notes of fruity caramelized honey. Winnie the Pooh is one lucky bear if this is how regular old honey tastes to him, and I'd gladly brave a hive of wasps for the stuff...

I'm with ya'. I like the 2011 single barrel, but the SmB 2011 is really something else, honey is a nice description.

dohidied
01-09-2012, 17:51

I very much agree!

I haven't tried any of last year's barrel-finished bourbons, as the concept sounds very trendy, but all of these positive reviews have me craving the Cognac finish. Fortunately, I know a store whose owner told me, "Don't worry about the Parkers disappearing, they're not very popular here." I like it when I can take my sweet ass time.

BFerguson
01-09-2012, 17:56
I haven't tried any of last year's barrel-finished bourbons, as the concept sounds very trendy, but all of these positive reviews have me craving the Cognac finish. Fortunately, I know a store whose owner told me, "Don't worry about the Parkers disappearing, they're not very popular here." I like it when I can take my sweet ass time.

Careful, I've thought the same thing, then one day you walk in and it's gone......:hot:

B

dohidied
01-09-2012, 18:02
Careful, I've thought the same thing, then one day you walk in and it's gone......:hot:

B

Yeah, that's going to be an expensive trip. He has a 2010 Wheater and a Cognac finish.

Ejmharris
01-09-2012, 18:28
Tonight is a MB Roland Black Dog bourbon and going to finish with a Willet Rye.

irongambit
01-09-2012, 20:26
I started tonight by cracking open the Blanton's Gold that my buddy brought me from Tokyo, followed by a nice pour of Vintage Bourbon 17...feeling fine.

White Dog
01-09-2012, 20:32
I'm with ya'. I like the 2011 single barrel, but the SmB 2011 is really something else, honey is a nice description.

You speak the truth. The SmB 2011 hands down over the 1B 2011.

White Dog
01-09-2012, 20:35
Started with Vintage 17yr, and ended up on Vintage 21yr Rye.

BFerguson
01-09-2012, 20:46
Nearing the end of the bottle of Weller 12yr. Been a very enjoyable bottle. Going to be bummed when it goes, not going to get a replacement for it any time soon.

Been some recent talk of this compared to Lot B. While the Weller has been nice, in my experience, it's no Lot B. I can see the family resemblance, but more like a first cousin than brother. I haven't had this years release, but I loved the black cherry bomb that was in last years bottling.

B

Tony
01-09-2012, 20:54
Pappy 20 while watching football tonight.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.443651,-83.491653

clingman71
01-09-2012, 21:27
After the banter in the VW thread, I'm having a 10/107 - lot B tasting tonight.

cbus
01-09-2012, 22:11
Had Elmer T. Lee while watching the field goal fest. I was so happy that there was eventually a touchdown!

Whiskey Willie
01-10-2012, 06:38
This winter features the Eagle Rare that my son bought me for Christmas...He's a good kid. :cool:

drunk
01-10-2012, 14:30
I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the Bulleit Rye I just bought, but it made a nice old fashioned last night. Chased it with some OWA.

dohidied
01-10-2012, 14:58
I'm actually enjoying some 2009 WLW. I say actually because this is pour is usually a challenge. There is an astringency that coats my tongue and prevents me from really enjoying it. But now I have designated this my "still have chinese food flavors in my mouth" bourbon until it's gone.

hectic1
01-10-2012, 18:21
Weller Centennial and I'll probably follow that with some 1999 OWA...:cool:

Josh
01-10-2012, 18:46
Enjoying some 2011 Elijah Craig 12 y/o right now. They don't make it like this anymore!

DeanSheen
01-10-2012, 19:00
4R Yellow 2011.

This is good stuff. I wish I could find some more.

Young Blacksmith
01-10-2012, 19:02
Just finished a mini WTRB. Impressed me enough that I'm thinking to pick one up.

I think I'll follow it up, with inspiration from Josh, EC12.

smokinjoe
01-10-2012, 19:44
Virgin Bourbon. Why a state like Alabama, with such an overall sucky bourbon selection, is one of the few to offer such an inexpensive gem like this...is beyond my comprehension.

Josh
01-10-2012, 19:54
Virgin Bourbon. Why a state like Alabama, with such an overall sucky bourbon selection, is one of the few to offer such an inexpensive gem like this...is beyond my comprehension.

I didn't know Alabama had any Virgins left.

wmpevans
01-10-2012, 20:13

Joe, never tasted Virgin, bourbon that is. I'll have to give it a taste Saturday.

stevegoz
01-10-2012, 21:41
Weller 12. Opened this bottle about four months ago and it's drinking mighty well.

Old Lamplighter
01-10-2012, 23:01
HWRR followed by a generous sampling of WTRB on a cold, rainy night in TN

smokinjoe
01-11-2012, 07:53
I didn't know Alabama had any Virgins left.

Well Josh, if there were any before, there ain't any now after the Tide rolled! :D
I'm guessin' that party's still goin' on.

Parkersback
01-11-2012, 18:01
An excellent vatting night in honor of Gillman:

Some ND OGD, a mixture of 86 and BIB. Wonderfully solid. It makes me think of wood, but not like heavy, GTS barrel char wood. More like the smell of freshly sawn 2x4, mixed with a heavy honey. So glad I have a few more bottles of ND OGD in the bunker--and it's makes me want to do a comparison with the current stuff.

Then a pour of what seems to have taken on the name of the "SB Weller Blend"--half Weller 12 and half OWA (both current)...man, it's like candy: caramel, vanilla ice cream, "red pop" (as we called it in Michigan, anyway), all underlaid by just enough burn from the OWA. It was so good that I broke my "two drinks in a night" rule and poured a bit more.

Anybody who can get Weller 12 and OWA, do yourself a favor and mix up a batch. And I buy the whole, "let a wheater breathe and it gets better" rhetoric, so if you have the bottles, pour just part of the mixture into a bottle or dencater to let it sit, and each pour will be better than the last.

clingman71
01-11-2012, 20:09
Started with a small pour of Ritt BiB, now I'm having a generous pour of the SB blend.

sob0728
01-11-2012, 21:01
I don't think it gets much love around here, but I am having my first pour of 1792 and I really like it. Great nose. Chewy up front, smooth finish that is sweet then turns spicy. I am really enjoying it.

c2walker
01-11-2012, 23:03
I tried GTS for the first time at a local establishment and it's pretty much ruined every bottle I have at home. I thought it was *that* good. Unfortunately I have 0% chance of finding a bottle living in NC...okay...maybe 1% since I scored a bottle of Handy from the ABC. I'm not above a little charity! ;)

wmpevans
01-12-2012, 04:52
An excellent vatting night in honor of Gillman:

Anybody who can get Weller 12 and OWA, do yourself a favor and mix up a batch. And I buy the whole, "let a wheater breathe and it gets better" rhetoric, so if you have the bottles, pour just part of the mixture into a bottle or dencater to let it sit, and each pour will be better than the last.

Tom, great idea. I vat the 12 and OWA all the time, but had never vatted for more than 1 pour. last night I pulled an old crystal decanter out of closet and started mixing away. Damn fun, and great result, and as you said, I only expect it to get better with some air time in the decanter.

Thanks for the idea, Bill.

mosugoji64
01-12-2012, 11:36
For fun, I poured a 1:1 WT rye/Mellow Corn. IMHO, the result deserves further exploration. At 1:1 it reminds me of OFBB - very sweet but with ample spice. I think it will be fun to tinker with the ratio on this one!

fishnbowljoe
01-12-2012, 16:52
Bowling night last night. :rolleyes: Gary bowled good. Me, ehhhh. But we drank good. :grin: Latest release Lot B, and Pappy 15, and older Pappy 15. All good. I stopped in the chat room for a while after I got home, and I had (coincidence with all this talk of vatting) a pour consisting of a vatting of OWA and Weller SR. It was so good, I had a pour when I got home from work tonight....................... after I finished shoveling. :crazy:

mosugoji64
01-12-2012, 17:09
Bowling night last night. :rolleyes: Gary bowled good. Me, ehhhh. But we drank good. :grin: Latest release Lot B, and Pappy 15, and older Pappy 15. All good. I stopped in the chat room for a while after I got home, and I had (coincidence with all this talk of vatting) a pour consisting of a vatting of OWA and Weller SR. It was so good, I had a pour when I got home from work tonight....................... after I finished shoveling. :crazy:

I always look forward to your bowling night posts. It sounds like such a great time! How do you manage to keep the ball in your own lane with all of those great bourbons around? :lol:
Organizing a bowling night is something I'd like to do; maybe next summer or when I'm finished with school. INDY SB MEMBERS: How about an Indy SB league? Think we could pull it together?

Eth3rStrik3r
01-12-2012, 21:05
Finally popped open a bottle of Jefferson's I got for christmas. Very smooth and sweet, definitely one of my favorites from the most recent batch of stuff I have tried.

clingman71
01-12-2012, 21:09
Kahn's EC12, this bottle is growing on me and tonight it really hit the spot.

White Dog
01-12-2012, 21:12
Finally popped open a bottle of Jefferson's I got for christmas. Very smooth and sweet, definitely one of my favorites from the most recent batch of stuff I have tried.

Which Jefferson's?

As for me, I am having, for the first time in my life, WTRR101, thanks to a friend in Michigan.:toast:

And yes, it's a good as I've heard.:cool: :cool:

Clavius
01-12-2012, 21:27
Started out with some Old Weller Antique. Then some Blanton's and now some EC18... might be a rough morning!

G.H.Adams
01-12-2012, 22:02
I started the evening with Eagle Rare 17 and will have a nightcap of GTS.

Eth3rStrik3r
01-12-2012, 22:04
Which Jefferson's?

As for me, I am having, for the first time in my life, WTRR101, thanks to a friend in Michigan.:toast:

The standard bottle, I also have a bottle of the JP17, but I'm saving opening it until the day I finally get off my lazy ass and buy my fiancee her ring or some other special occasion.

stevegoz
01-13-2012, 11:01
Last night I made it through a pour of Rebel Reserve. Rewarded myself with a bit of ER17, bottled in Fall 2005. Felt my age when I realized that the ER had gone into the barrel the year I graduated high school....

fishnbowljoe
01-13-2012, 17:12
After a long, frustrating week at work, I'm kicking back with some current release LotB while listening to some good jazz. FWIW, The Yellowjackets are currently playing on my iTunes. Both are hitting the spot. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

Tucker
01-13-2012, 18:53
Conditioning myself for tomorrow's meeting of the GBS by finishing up a bottle of JPS 17.

Josh
01-13-2012, 19:26
Which Jefferson's?

Tis a good bottle indeed. Luckily I still have one left in my bunker thanks to a friend in Chicago and another one in Ohio. We midwestern bourbonians take care of our own!:cool:

I'm enjoying a vatting of 4R Single Barrel Ltd Ed 2009, Kahn's OBSQ, and SmB Ltd Ed 2011.

The Q yeast is representin' Pretty tasty stuff!

Parkersback
01-13-2012, 20:01
GTS 2010 down to about 100 proof: not bad, but still not my cup of tea.

And some McKenzie Bourbon: some butterscotch, some floral notes, some corn, but all in a pretty idiosyncratic way. Good stuff.

Young Blacksmith
01-13-2012, 20:09
Started with some ND era Bourbon DeLuxe, very sweet and butterscotch on the nose. Not very complex though.

On to a few pours of ETL. Great flavor, sweetness, and just enough BT funk to make it good.

DeanSheen
01-13-2012, 20:35
Yesterday was the kids big #1 so I opened a 2009 WLW and put a good dent in that liquid crack. I'm scared to see what it's like in a week after some air.....

Tonight I'm on some ER 10/90. I had not had any for some time as it seemed bitter to me for awhile. I was gifted a bottle for XMAS that went down pretty well so I went and grabbed another. So far so good.

clingman71
01-13-2012, 20:47
Doing the SB blend again tonight, best value pour around in my opinion.

BillP
01-13-2012, 20:53
So I'm enjoying the Weller 12. Wow! It's definitely worth the extra $s.

Bill

jcg9779
01-13-2012, 22:10
A pour of private barrel FRSB OBSV 10 year....such a great bourbon.

moose
01-14-2012, 00:04
Strong pour of EC12 after being in class and at work since 9am.

drunk
01-14-2012, 22:13
Yesterday was the kids big #1 so I opened a 2009 WLW and put a good dent in that liquid crack. I'm scared to see what it's like in a week after some air.....

Congrats! It's my daughter's first birthday on Monday. After her party today, I'm enjoying some OWA, Weller 12, finished off a FR SmB and a Fighting Cock.

AaronWF
01-14-2012, 22:32

Congrats! It's my daughter's first birthday on Monday. After her party today, I'm enjoying some OWA, Weller 12, finished off a FR SmB and a Fighting Cock.

Well congrats on yours' one year, my daughter just turned 5 months! I poured a glass of retail picked 1B BT into a flask for bowling tonight, but we got there late and it ended up being too packed, so now I'm drinking my flask for a nightcap.

SDpappy
01-14-2012, 23:49
Poured some Pappy 20 tonight while watching the Patriots and Denver game. While the game wasn't exciting, the bourbon was fantastic. So smooth. I'm not good at describing what I'm tasting but the toffee, caramel on the nose and the mouthfeel on the VW line is incredible. No burning on the finish. I think I've had some wine that had more heat on the finish.

DeanSheen
01-15-2012, 12:04
Thanks for the congrats guys.

I'll have to post a pic sometime of him with his signed 4Roses Smb bottle.

fussybitch
01-15-2012, 12:55
I celebrated a big win at work with ORVW 10/107 and Pappy 20 last night. Now enjoying a couple of Rittenhouse Manhattans while watching the Baltimore/Texans game.

bad_scientist
01-15-2012, 13:09
I celebrated a big win at work with ORVW 10/107 and Pappy 20 last night.

Big win at work? Do you play for the Niners?

fussybitch
01-15-2012, 13:31
Big win at work? Do you play for the Niners?

Ha! No, I'm a mortgage banker...just closed the first big deal of the year :)

maskaggs
01-15-2012, 13:35
I enjoyed a few pours of AAA10Y last night. The slightest splash of water makes this one incredible.

Halifax
01-15-2012, 16:45
6y/90p Cabin Still from 1969

smokinjoe
01-15-2012, 17:21
Revisiting a bottle that I haven't had open in quite some time. Ezra B 15 yr. Huge, massive, butterscotch. :yum: Thankfully, it's just as I remember it.

clingman71
01-15-2012, 17:35
Started with a little BTEC 1991, now some ETL, plan on ending the night with TPS Willett barrel 14a 17 year wheater. Off to Chicago/ Naperville tomorrow, maybe I'll find a little something unavailable in Ohio.

hectic1
01-15-2012, 17:53
Started with a little BTEC 1991, now some ETL, plan on ending the night with TPS Willett barrel 14a 17 year wheater. Off to Chicago/ Naperville tomorrow, maybe I'll find a little something unavailable in Ohio.
There is a Binny's in Naperville that has a decent selection of bourbon...I'm not sure that you'll find any BTAC, Pappy, or PHC 2010 but you should be able to find some Weller 12, Binny's Four Roses Private Selections, etc...Have fun in "the ville"! :cool:

wmpevans
01-15-2012, 19:08
Revisiting a bottle that I haven't had open in quite some time. Ezra B 15 yr. Huge, massive, butterscotch. :yum: Thankfully, it's just as I remember it.

Joe, just opened an Ezra 7/101, and I'm getting that butterscotch. I can imagine the 15 year. This is a very tasty, smooth, value pour.

Eth3rStrik3r
01-15-2012, 20:03
Just popped open a bottle of ORVW 90 and it is just as delicious as I remember the last bottle being.

Parkersback
01-15-2012, 20:31
WLW 2010 cut to about 101 proof. Rich and delicious.

BFerguson
01-15-2012, 20:40
There is a Binny's in Naperville that has a decent selection of bourbon...I'm not sure that you'll find any BTAC, Pappy, or PHC 2010 but you should be able to find some Weller 12, Binny's Four Roses Private Selections, etc...Have fun in "the ville"! :cool:

Certainly not the first three listed. I was out there over christmas. They did have some of the recent PHC. They did have one or two nice items in a case that I passed on due to the misses being around.

It was one of the first times that since going there for many years, that I almost felt of sense of disappointment in not finding something new or special that I was looking for.

Can't hit a home run every time I suppose. But still, a fun store to walk around in.

If your looking for lunch, I'd vote for Portillo's-Just down the road with a turn or tow a bit from there, always make it point to get there when I get home. Gotta get my dog and beef fix in. Man, I could go for one now.

B

BMartin42
01-15-2012, 21:53
After a 3 hour work meeting on a Sunday night I went with WLW 2011. Not as good as the 2010 but hitting the spot.

mosugoji64
01-15-2012, 22:11
Enjoying some Kahn's EC12. Very tasty. :grin:

BillP
01-16-2012, 17:52
Tonight it's Weller 12 with my brother in Memphis. All is good :cool:

Bill

bigtoys
01-16-2012, 19:50
drank this over the weekend with one other guy....the whole bottle over 2 nights.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0410.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/bigtoys335/etoh/IMAG0411.jpg

mosugoji64
01-16-2012, 20:02
EC18. Was a little hesitant with this one given the inconsistencies reported here, but this bottle is very nice. The oak is readily apparent but is balanced with just enough sweetness and a healthy kick of rye to keep the wood from becoming overwhelming. Glad I pulled the trigger!

Old Lamplighter
01-16-2012, 22:18
Lowering the level on a dying bottle of AAA followed by some mo Lil Saz...good stuff:drink:

fishnbowljoe
01-16-2012, 22:19
Weller 12. Why not? :skep:

Clavius
01-16-2012, 22:22
Enjoying some Blanton's tonight (dumped on 8-31-11, from Barrel #91 in warehouse H on rick #31). While I like Blanton's I just can't find anything in it to justify the $50 price tag. But I will admit that it comes in just about the coolest bottle there is on the market.

ILLfarmboy
01-17-2012, 14:40
WT RR 101.

I need to warm up. The wind is howling.

Why WT RR 101, you ask. 'Cause it reminds me of the WT 101 8 year of my under-age/barely of age youth drinking and I'm mourning the loss of yet another age statement.

Ejmharris
01-17-2012, 16:47
TPS OWA. not as good as the cork and barrel selection but still pretty damn good at $20.

Ejmharris
01-17-2012, 18:48
Also opened up a Weller 12 from cork and bottle. Good stuff now. Can't wait for it to open up a little bit after a month or two.

DeanSheen
01-17-2012, 21:29
WLW 2009 still tasty.

Eth3rStrik3r
01-17-2012, 21:36
Having a small glass of 4RSmB to commemorate finishing two batches of beer.

Ejmharris
01-17-2012, 21:42
Finished the night off with MB Roland Black Dog bourbon. Going to miss that little 375 when it is gone!!!

Luna56
01-18-2012, 02:46
Not much selection in the liquor stores near my hotel in LA so I went with WT101. I can see why WT has a devoted following, it's stout, dependable stuff.
Enjoying a nice, fat pour along with the mercy of warmer weather than at home.

Cheers!

jcg9779
01-18-2012, 12:38
I had a couple pours of the Jim Rutledge pick FRSB OBSV the other night. I don't get as much fruit as on other OBSV bottles, but still think that this is a great bottle. Terrific richness and great mouthfeel at a low proof (105.5 proof - barrel strength).

I also had some Willett 18 yr wheater a couple of days ago and it is an outstanding bourbon.

dohidied
01-18-2012, 14:02
Savoring the last pour of Old Forester BIB DSP-414 I have. This bottle started off very dry and rough, but it has opened up beautifully. Time to reload.

fishnbowljoe
01-18-2012, 21:01
I always look forward to your bowling night posts. It sounds like such a great time! How do you manage to keep the ball in your own lane with all of those great bourbons around? :lol:

FYI, we normally don't start hitting the bourbon till after we're done. On some nights we might get a leg up and have a pour in the last game. We normally bring 50 ml's or 2 oz sample bottles. Once in a while 4 oz bottles.

This one's for you Brian. :cool:

It was bowling night tonight. :lol: Gary and I both bowled good. We won all three games for a change. :woohoo: Been a while since we did that. After bowling, we sampled some Bernheim, Angel's Envy, and a 2005 EWSB. It was a good night. Better than normal 'cause we won. :grin:

SeaninSD
01-18-2012, 21:21
Enjoying my first PVW 15. I had one bottle for a while, but was scared to open it; today I found a second bottle so felt better opening up one and giving it try. So far so good and I'm impressed with the flavor, the smoothness, no real burn and the long finish. Living up to the hype so far!

Jwilly019
01-18-2012, 22:38
FYI, we normally don't start hitting the bourbon till after we're done. On some nights we might get a leg up and have a pour in the last game. We normally bring 50 ml's or 2 oz sample bottles. Once in a while 4 oz bottles.

This one's for you Brian. :cool:

It was bowling night tonight. :lol: Gary and I both bowled good. We won all three games for a change. :woohoo: Been a while since we did that. After bowling, we sampled some Bernheim, Angel's Envy, and a 2005 EWSB. It was a good night. Better than normal 'cause we won. :grin:

I sure wish I could find some '05 EWSB around here. Best we can do is '02. :grin:

fishnbowljoe
01-18-2012, 22:48
I sure wish I could find some '05 EWSB around here. Best we can do is '02. :grin:

FWIW Justin, it was a mini, and we actually didn't think it was all that great. :frown:

G.H.Adams
01-18-2012, 23:09
Enjoying several pours of GTS 2011 before turning in.

Eth3rStrik3r
01-18-2012, 23:18
Watching basketball and having some Jefferson's and some RR90.

StraightNoChaser
01-18-2012, 23:24
kicked off with a 4R1B LE100th, sipped on that for almost 3 hours :eek:

now having a PHC wheated for the next couple hours...

Billy Bourbon
01-19-2012, 01:27
Old Fitzgerald BIB.

Of the half dozen or so value pour bourbons I've been drinking, for some reason I can hardly get a nose on this bourbon. This oddity brings me back, seeking to get more flavors on the nose, but it is always the same.

I'm not complaining. It is light and subtle caramel. On the taste though, it surprises me over and over by really spreading out and is very satisfying. I love these value pours.

The nose is extremely light and almost non existent, especially comparing this to a couple other BIB's I've tried like Old Grand Dad BIB and Heaven Hill BIB and Old Forester Signature which is 100 proof.

I'm gonna pour one more and maybe one more after that.
I taste sweet corn, caramel, vanilla, butterscotch and juicy fruit bubble gum. There are some other flavors but for the life of me I cannot put it into words. This really is a great bourbon that I am growing to love and hope I can find one of the older bottles I've read about but it may never happen. I think it is a 2005 but am not totally certain. Good stuff.

Gonna pour one more.

BFerguson
01-19-2012, 05:19
Was pleasantly pleased yesterday walking over by the hotel bar that they had Lot B on hand. Certainly made my day.

When We came back later for for another and music, I gave my waitress my order for the same, and out of her mouth came the ever so unexpected "magic word" response, "Do you want some Pappy?"

I certainly perked up at that! I inquired if it was the 15 or 20, her reply was 'I believe it's the 23yr" While I knew that this would be expensive, I thought, what the hell, I'm on vacation, and I'll probably never spring for a bottle anyway, so "yes" came out of my mouth quickly.

No woodiness, just pure bliss. It was by far probably the best glass that I have ever had.

Magnificent.

B

hectic1
01-19-2012, 18:18
Cracked open one of the Noah's Mill 15yr bottles that I picked up this week and I'm really happy that I grabbed all 3 of the bottles that were on the shelf. This bottle has an thick syruppy nose filled with maple, brown sugar, and honey. The pallets shows some dark chocolate, nougat, brown sugar, and light hints of wood. At 114.3 proof it shows absolutely no heat on the nose, pallet, or finish...I couldn't have picked a better bottling for my preferences if I did it myself. Nice work Drew! :bowdown:

ebo
01-19-2012, 18:26
Started with a pour from "the dark side".... Ardbeg 10. Decdided to go with one our Tennessee offerings after that... George Dickel 12.

Phil T
01-19-2012, 18:47
I've been all over the board tonight. Started with WTRB, then '09 OFBB ( I have tried the '08,'09, and the '11 and they are all spicey rye goodness. They all seem to get sporadic love here, but I think they're great.)..finishing up with some FC.